BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-10-18 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3157796

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
barelfly - 2010-10-18 11:03 AM congrats Ray! that is great news! Everyday day will be better than the last! it's an amazing experience watching kids grow.

Totally agree Jeremy.  Can't wait to hear some stories Ray, and I love Jennifer's advice on laughing everyday.  Some of the best moments are in tough times.  My son tapped out 15 seconds into his first match this past weekend.  He learned a lot, and we had some great discussions about the match and more importantly life in general.  Great son/dad moments.  Not easy, but great.

You've heard it a lot, and you'll hear it more, but you can't believe how fast they grow up.  Enjoy every day and every stage.

Ok, on to tri stuff.  I'm doing a 5k in a few weeks, it's just a local neighborhood race I'm organizing.  I stole Jeremy's race idea, but because it's only doing a 5k it's easier to get more people involved.  And I started Jorge's plan (at least the get ready part) this past weekend.

2010-10-18 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3155161

User image

Expert
WA
ray6foot7 - 2010-10-15 4:03 AM What an outstanding month! Two lifetime wishes have come true in the past twenty days. First I became an ironman, then today I became a dad. I got to meet my son today. He is two days old, and we get to take him home tomorrow. The great thing is: tomorrow is my inlaw's 50th anniversary party, so all of our friends and family are traveling here. Looks like the anniversary party just turned to a baby meet and greet.

Congratulations!!!!!!
2010-10-19 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
What a great idea to start a race!

I am definitely back in the swing of things - last weekend was a big one for me...all my muscles are tired. I have started poking around looking for races to sign up for next year, but haven't settled on anything. I will definitely do the two local tris (one sprint, one Oly) and the Lobsterman Oly (they allowed me to defer my entry from this year to next)...it's either a HIM or another Oly plus some runs. I just heard about a half marathon that takes you from Lubec, Maine (the last town in the US before Canada on the coast) across to Campobello Island (in Canada) and back in June that sounds like a lot of fun, as well as the Sugarloaf (ski area) marathon and half marathon in May.

I found out yesterday that I can't swim at the Y at the same time the kids are at swim team (aside from the absolute chaos that is 60 kids in the water at the same time) - if I'm at the pool swimming, the girls want to swim with me, and not with the coaches/team. Really - I'm not that fun. Now to massage the workout plan to figure that wrinkle in.

My left shin had been a little tangy the last couple of runs and after a long run (for me), it was really bugging me. I went on a run Monday a little concerned and about 5 minutes into the warm up, I remembered "ART"...came home, did some of the self massage (from a link Warren recommended a while back) - totally did the trick. Now to remember that a few days earlier into the cycle!

Hope the run goes well for Jeremy, and that Matt's getting ready for a taper for his HIM in the middle of Nov.
2010-10-19 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3155161

User image

Veteran
Richmond
ray6foot7 - 2010-10-15 6:03 PM What an outstanding month! Two lifetime wishes have come true in the past twenty days. First I became an ironman, then today I became a dad. I got to meet my son today. He is two days old, and we get to take him home tomorrow. The great thing is: tomorrow is my inlaw's 50th anniversary party, so all of our friends and family are traveling here. Looks like the anniversary party just turned to a baby meet and greet.

That is such awesome news Ray, congratulations!!  Enjoy that little one, everyday will bring new and exciting moments with him around.  Congratulations, I am so happy for you and your wife.
2010-10-19 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3159631

User image

Veteran
Richmond
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-10-19 7:10 AM What a great idea to start a race!

I am definitely back in the swing of things - last weekend was a big one for me...all my muscles are tired. I have started poking around looking for races to sign up for next year, but haven't settled on anything. I will definitely do the two local tris (one sprint, one Oly) and the Lobsterman Oly (they allowed me to defer my entry from this year to next)...it's either a HIM or another Oly plus some runs. I just heard about a half marathon that takes you from Lubec, Maine (the last town in the US before Canada on the coast) across to Campobello Island (in Canada) and back in June that sounds like a lot of fun, as well as the Sugarloaf (ski area) marathon and half marathon in May.

I found out yesterday that I can't swim at the Y at the same time the kids are at swim team (aside from the absolute chaos that is 60 kids in the water at the same time) - if I'm at the pool swimming, the girls want to swim with me, and not with the coaches/team. Really - I'm not that fun. Now to massage the workout plan to figure that wrinkle in.

My left shin had been a little tangy the last couple of runs and after a long run (for me), it was really bugging me. I went on a run Monday a little concerned and about 5 minutes into the warm up, I remembered "ART"...came home, did some of the self massage (from a link Warren recommended a while back) - totally did the trick. Now to remember that a few days earlier into the cycle!

Hope the run goes well for Jeremy, and that Matt's getting ready for a taper for his HIM in the middle of Nov.

I'm sure you are alot funner than the coaches Jennifer!

It looks like my plans will be changing, I went to the doctor yesterday to check up on my "hip"/groin pain that won't go away.  When I bought a foam roller a few weeks ago, I found a bump in my groin area and he thinks it's a minor hernia.  I am seeing a surgeon for consultation on Thursday, but I am lost at this point since I've never had an injury and don't know a thing about hernias.  I can't believe it took so long to figure this out, especially since my doctor checked me for it at the beginning of my hip pain issue.  He said he thought it could be scoped and that recovery time wouldn't be that long, but I have no idea at this point what that means.  So, my HIM is likely out and IM CDA is probably in jeopardy too.  I just have to see what the doctor says on Thursday and go from there.
2010-10-19 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3154727

User image

Veteran
Richmond
wbayek - 2010-10-15 1:59 PM
mdfahy - 2010-10-15 1:10 PM
I asked my other buddy to do The Shenandoah Fall Foliage Bike Festival this weekend.  It looks like fun and beautiful time to ride.

http://shenandoahbike.org/schedule.html

What's everyone up to this weekend?  TGIF, have fun!!

That looks like an awesome ride.  We're just starting to get some colors up here - are the trees turning down there already? 

I'm planning a run tomorrow and my 13 year old has another Jiu-Jitsu tournament in Rhode Island Sunday.

I truly had the best bike ride ever last Sunday at this event.  Now I know why people truly love cycling, this was a place/event for biking that is made for a cover story on cycling magazine.  The leaves weren't in full color, they are supposed to be in a couple weeks, but the Shenandoah Valley, with horse and animal ranches with rolling hills everywhere just made it a perfect scenic ride.  Very little traffic as well.  Absolutely loved it.

2010-10-20 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3161292

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
mdfahy - 2010-10-19 7:53 AM [QUOTE
It looks like my plans will be changing, I went to the doctor yesterday to check up on my "hip"/groin pain that won't go away.  When I bought a foam roller a few weeks ago, I found a bump in my groin area and he thinks it's a minor hernia.  I am seeing a surgeon for consultation on Thursday, but I am lost at this point since I've never had an injury and don't know a thing about hernias.  I can't believe it took so long to figure this out, especially since my doctor checked me for it at the beginning of my hip pain issue.  He said he thought it could be scoped and that recovery time wouldn't be that long, but I have no idea at this point what that means.  So, my HIM is likely out and IM CDA is probably in jeopardy too.  I just have to see what the doctor says on Thursday and go from there.

I hope it is nothing more serious than a hernia. The good news is that you will recover. There will be other races and just imagine what they could be like pain free!

The bike ride sounds fabulous. Riding with little traffic in a beautiful area truly is what biking (for me) is all about. You can really take the time to see the scenery (which you don't get to see as well when speeding by in a car) and feel the pleasure of moving your body through the route. So glad it was a great day!
2010-10-20 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3161731

User image

Veteran
Richmond
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-10-20 7:06 AM
mdfahy - 2010-10-19 7:53 AM [QUOTE

I hope it is nothing more serious than a hernia. The good news is that you will recover. There will be other races and just imagine what they could be like pain free!

The bike ride sounds fabulous. Riding with little traffic in a beautiful area truly is what biking (for me) is all about. You can really take the time to see the scenery (which you don't get to see as well when speeding by in a car) and feel the pleasure of moving your body through the route. So glad it was a great day!

What I thought was so strange is that it didn't bother me in the AquaVelo, which I totally expected it to be an issue.  I am looking at the bright side that it as better to know and hopefully be able to fix it, than to have it linger without knowing how to fix it, that is the worst feeling.
2010-10-20 12:09 PM

User image

NH
Wow Matt, that injury sounds nasty.  Hopefully it's a quick and complete recovery if you have a hernia.  I know there's a lot of disappointment in missing planned events, but as you say better to know the issue and get it resolved and live to fight another day, hopefully pain free.

That ride did look awesome.  The colors are completely in bloom here, so my rides and runs right now are similar if not supported.  Though I have to rake them out of my yard as payment! 

The temps are getting rather chilly (high 20s when I wake), so I'm moving the bike inside for the most part.  I actually really enjoy running in the cold, so I'll be outside all winter for the runs.

Good luck Jeremy, the date is fast approaching.
2010-10-22 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
So - due to my father's illness, I delayed my registration from this year's Lobsterman Oly to 2011. The race is Sept 10. The Pumpkinman Half is Sept 11. Looks like a choice will have to be made. I really think I could complete the HIM in 2011, but am so nervous about committing to it.

I also realized I really don't like swimming in a pool. I LOVE swimming in ponds and lakes in the summer...being in the water when the sun is coming up with it glinting off the water, or going out while the kids are splashing in the shallows - nothing better. In the winter in a pool is just not fun. I know my swimming is my limiter (ok - so it's not my *only* limiter...but it is by far my weakest link), but I really don't have the motivation to go swimming at the pool in the winter. I don't want to get cold, I don't want to stare at the black line, I don't feel like I am accomplishing anything when swimming back and forth. I desperately want to take a month or so off from swimming right now - but am conflicted about how that will negatively impact my progress. And - would one month become two?
2010-10-22 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3166458

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-10-22 9:18 AM So - due to my father's illness, I delayed my registration from this year's Lobsterman Oly to 2011. The race is Sept 10. The Pumpkinman Half is Sept 11. Looks like a choice will have to be made. I really think I could complete the HIM in 2011, but am so nervous about committing to it.

I also realized I really don't like swimming in a pool. I LOVE swimming in ponds and lakes in the summer...being in the water when the sun is coming up with it glinting off the water, or going out while the kids are splashing in the shallows - nothing better. In the winter in a pool is just not fun. I know my swimming is my limiter (ok - so it's not my *only* limiter...but it is by far my weakest link), but I really don't have the motivation to go swimming at the pool in the winter. I don't want to get cold, I don't want to stare at the black line, I don't feel like I am accomplishing anything when swimming back and forth. I desperately want to take a month or so off from swimming right now - but am conflicted about how that will negatively impact my progress. And - would one month become two?

Do the Pumpkinman!  It is an awesome event and a great first timers course as you saw this year.  I'm still planning to do it as the biker on a relay team, so it would be a blast to see you there again.  And you can absolutely handle the distance with your training consistency.

As far as swimming, I'm not sure what the experts would say, but I'm with you.  I actually plan to do almost no swimming this winter.  The bang for the buck just seems very low to me, and I also hate indoor pools.  For me it's a half hour drive to the nearest pool, so an hour driving total which I don't really have in my life to spare.  So I'll pick it back up in the spring. 

Now if I had an early season race that mattered to me that would be a different story, and swimming isn't my limiter.  I don't mind outdoor pools for some reason, and I think swimming speed sets is a big part of getting better, but I just can't justify the extra hour to get swimming in over the winter.

2010-10-22 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Hey everyone... must apologize again for being M.I.A.  Since it's off-season, I'm just not in a "triathlon mood" these days.  I need to get a few races on my 2011 calendar. 

Warren, great new avatar!  You're a stud!  And I'm in the same boat as you... I won't be spending much time, if any in the pool until at least Feb/March.

I hope everyone is doing well.  I'll be "stopping in" more often.
2010-10-22 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3167604

User image

NH
Good to see you back Bill.  No problem being away, I'm just a shlep with desk job and lot's of conference calls where I only listen, so I'm on here way too much.  And calling me a stud- haha, it's just that the cap covers all the grey and clear hair!

GOOD LUCK JEREMY!
2010-10-22 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3161292

User image

Expert
WA
mdfahy - 2010-10-19 4:53 AM

Yikes!!  Good luck with that Matt!
2010-10-22 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Hoping for the best Matt.  I bet it's nice knowing the problem now and knowing it can be fixed.

I won't be swimming much this winter.  I am going to really focus on running, and swimming just takes soooo much time.  I will probably start back up again in January, and then it will only be short workouts 1-2 times a week that focus on form.  However, I do enjoy my hard indoor swim sessions.  It's the outdoor lake swims I could do without.  Also,  from years past, I haven't noticed any loss of swim speed from one year to the next, and I have always taken a few months off.  That's probably because swimming is more dependant upon form than it is fitness.
2010-10-22 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3167604

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-10-22 3:53 PM Hey everyone... must apologize again for being M.I.A.  Since it's off-season, I'm just not in a "triathlon mood" these days.  I need to get a few races on my 2011 calendar. 

Warren, great new avatar!  You're a stud!  And I'm in the same boat as you... I won't be spending much time, if any in the pool until at least Feb/March.

I hope everyone is doing well.  I'll be "stopping in" more often.

Same except its work. I am online for 5-10min/day lately.

2010-10-22 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3167724

User image

Elite

ray6foot7 - 2010-10-22 4:48 PM Hoping for the best Matt.  I bet it's nice knowing the problem now and knowing it can be fixed.

I won't be swimming much this winter.  I am going to really focus on running, and swimming just takes soooo much time.  I will probably start back up again in January, and then it will only be short workouts 1-2 times a week that focus on form.  However, I do enjoy my hard indoor swim sessions.  It's the outdoor lake swims I could do without.  Also,  from years past, I haven't noticed any loss of swim speed from one year to the next, and I have always taken a few months off.  That's probably because swimming is more dependant upon form than it is fitness.

Agree on the swimming more about form than fitness. Glad you know what the problem is.

2010-10-24 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!

hi everyone!

thanks for the well wishes for today. I completed my first half marathon today! feels great to do, even with no fan fare and crowds. Just a great friend and myself for an early morning run. My buddy is a trooper - he ran the Duke City Half last weekend and was back out with me today to see that I completed it.

Even though this wasn't a "race" I still had some nerves working up to it. The last few days I started second guessing myself, thinking I didn't do enough running and it was going to be bad. My eating also made me feel like I was off - since I hadn't really carbed up and had a big ol' filet last night with my wife for a date night! But, I still did well. Official time - 2:04:34. my first 6.55 was 1:01 and I thought to myself - I'm within reach of my stretch goal 2:00...but that's as close as I got to thinking it would happen. I pushed my pace a little to much early and didn't stay consistent. The 5-7 miles took it out of me I think and I slowed quite a bit by the last two miles. I hurt the last two - only walked once the entire time for about 20 seconds just for a change of pace. But I finished and I feel pretty good now. just a bit sore and full from a double meat green chile cheese burger!!!!!

Thanks for all of your support these last few days - you guys are great checking in on me to see how it was going coming up to the day. I can see a "real" race in the future, but I know I'll need to run a bit more than I did for this and I'll hit a sub 2:00 HM.

enjoy the rest of the weekend all!

2010-10-25 6:45 AM
in reply to: #3169295

User image

NH
barelfly - 2010-10-24 4:04 PM

hi everyone!

thanks for the well wishes for today. I completed my first half marathon today! feels great to do, even with no fan fare and crowds. Just a great friend and myself for an early morning run. My buddy is a trooper - he ran the Duke City Half last weekend and was back out with me today to see that I completed it.

Even though this wasn't a "race" I still had some nerves working up to it. The last few days I started second guessing myself, thinking I didn't do enough running and it was going to be bad. My eating also made me feel like I was off - since I hadn't really carbed up and had a big ol' filet last night with my wife for a date night! But, I still did well. Official time - 2:04:34. my first 6.55 was 1:01 and I thought to myself - I'm within reach of my stretch goal 2:00...but that's as close as I got to thinking it would happen. I pushed my pace a little to much early and didn't stay consistent. The 5-7 miles took it out of me I think and I slowed quite a bit by the last two miles. I hurt the last two - only walked once the entire time for about 20 seconds just for a change of pace. But I finished and I feel pretty good now. just a bit sore and full from a double meat green chile cheese burger!!!!!

Thanks for all of your support these last few days - you guys are great checking in on me to see how it was going coming up to the day. I can see a "real" race in the future, but I know I'll need to run a bit more than I did for this and I'll hit a sub 2:00 HM.

Great job Jeremy!  We had faith.  13.1 is no small accomplishment.  I'm sure that burger was especially tasty.  Super effort, and we'll be here for your sub-2!
2010-10-25 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3169295

User image

Expert
WA
barelfly - 2010-10-24 1:04 AM

hi everyone!

Great job Jeremy!  Congratulations!!!
2010-10-25 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Congrats Jeremy!  That's a tremendous accomplishment.  Well done.

2010-10-25 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I think I'm going to try an XTERRA triathlon next year.  I found one that's within a couple hours of my house and I already have a mountain bike.  I think it will be a nice change of pace and I've always wanted to do one,
2010-10-25 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Yeah Jeremy! Great job making your goal. Now - all that's left on the books for you for 2010 is the JingleBell Tri - right?

Bill - go for it - the Xterra's that I have heard about sound really fun. I love mountain biking.

I've got a 5K on Sunday - I did it last year in 29:04...hoping to come in under that this year. But - it's in costume, so that could add a wrinkle. (My friend went as Tinkerbell last year and said she caught too much air on her wings...), otherwise I think I'm done for the year...but contemplating a half marathon at the end of Feb, another half marathon in May, a relay (race across New England - RI, MA, VT, NH and ME) run late June and then the whole triathlon thing thrown in late summer. I'm about 90% sold on doing a HIM in Sept 2011...just haven't signed the dotted line yet. There is also a half marathon that goes from Lubec (the northern most coastal town in ME) to Canada and back that is niggling the back of my brain. I think my husband is going to start to have an opinion about all this.

I've started reading "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald...have any of you read this? One thing that is surprising to me is the amount of carbs he is recommending ingesting on a daily basis - for someone 130 lbs doing between 7-10 hours of exercise a week, he recommends 472 g of carbs a day...that's a WHOLE lot.
2010-10-27 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3170765

User image

NH
That looks like a busty schedule Jennifer.  You're going to do the half, just admit it to yourself!  If it's Pumpkinman, you can probably wait a little while to commit, but you're mind is in.  I agree with clearing things with the family.  That's what is holding me back from any schedule next year.  I learned to not put anything in the books until me and my wife sit down and decide together.

I've never read that book, but 472g does sound like a LOT of carbs for someone at 130 lbs.  I assume much of that is intended to be eaten roght before/during/after the workouts?  Still sounds like a lot of calories, even if carbs were at 70% of total calories. 

I'd say if you're going to follow it, try it out and see how your body responds.  One thing I've learned helping a lot of athletes with nutrition is that everyone is completely different in how they respond to food.  It's really impossible to give generic advice and have it be accurate and helpful for a large group of people.  Just my opinion/observation.  I can eat a ridiculous amount of carbs and stay fairly lean, other people my age and size eat half what I do and get HUGE!
2010-10-27 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Woo Haa!  James Doil Samford is with us for good.  Pictures to come soon.  Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. 

I need to get a good stroller, and start taking him for some runs soon.Laughing
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76