BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-05-31 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
Kind of a cool on bike camera setup.

Bike Cam Video

2010-05-31 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2892159

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-31 9:55 PM

Master
Dunedin
Uggggh! You guys were super chatty this weekend-it's taking all night to catch up! Laughing

Husband and I biked from Whitney Point, NY to Pulaski, NY (Near Pennsylvania border to Lake Ontario). It was GREAT!!!  Jon (Husband) invested in some chamois butter and it was Heaven on Earth compared to Aquaphor!!!!!!  Too bad I waited unit the first pit stop to try the new stuff!

Nutrition was right on and pacing was perfect. I'm stoked for more century rides! 
2010-05-31 10:06 PM
in reply to: #2892956

Master
Redlands, CA
WittyCityGirl - 2010-05-31 7:55 PM Uggggh! You guys were super chatty this weekend-it's taking all night to catch up! Laughing

Husband and I biked from Whitney Point, NY to Pulaski, NY (Near Pennsylvania border to Lake Ontario). It was GREAT!!!  Jon (Husband) invested in some chamois butter and it was Heaven on Earth compared to Aquaphor!!!!!!  Too bad I waited unit the first pit stop to try the new stuff!

Nutrition was right on and pacing was perfect. I'm stoked for more century rides! 

This sounds silly but I'm looking forward to IMLP almost as much as you guys are; its really cool watching your logs and getting to see how things will play out.  I think Kathy and calimavs have HIM's around that time as well.  Going to fun reading all the race reports.
2010-05-31 10:27 PM
in reply to: #2892986

Expert
furiousferret - 2010-05-31 11:06 PM
WittyCityGirl - 2010-05-31 7:55 PM Uggggh! You guys were super This sounds silly but I'm looking forward to IMLP almost as much as you guys are; its really cool watching your logs and getting to see how things will play out.  I think Kathy and calimavs have HIM's around that time as well.  Going to fun reading all the race reports.

Thats really nice of you! and i really do appreciate all of your inspires and questions on my logs! thanks!!
2010-05-31 10:28 PM
in reply to: #2892159

Expert
phxphotog - 2010-05-31 1:55 PM Got almost 4 hours in yesterday. My group ride and a speed walk with my wife for 5 miles. My body feels tired today but in a good way. I really want to get my ride in today so I can make my goals for this month. Each month the goal will go up a little bit until the Fall.

Probably going to do 12 miles on the bike and a run today.

Great job!

2010-05-31 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2891865

Expert
kenj - 2010-05-31 10:01 AM

zionvier - 2010-05-30 8:39 PM Just wanted to let everyone know I'll be a little weak on the posting over the next week most likely.  I'm leaving to drive to San Diego tomorrow morning for the marathon next Sunday.  I'm taking the bike though since it's a good alternative to running a lot the week before a marathon.  Hopefully I can find some good (and safe) areas to ride.  Definitely looking forward to a change in scenery... and I'm planning on getting some good OWSs in while I'm out there too.... plus a little surfing if the gods of surf cooperate.

Good luck and have a great week!!!

GOOD LUCK!!
2010-05-31 10:30 PM
in reply to: #2891574

Expert
calimavs -
Today wrapped up my biggest volume week ever, which I sort of can't believe. I finished it off with a 2600 yard swim and a 7 mile run today. Feeling pretty good but happy to have a rest day tomorrow, we'll be having a picnic with some friends. Hope everyone enjoys the last day of the long weekend.

Thats really fantastic. Nice work!!
2010-06-01 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2892986

2010-06-01 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2893582

Expert
PennState - QUOTE] Well I'm excited about LP as well!

SAME HERE! Less than 8 weeks now!!
2010-06-01 11:07 AM

2010-06-01 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2893973

Expert
PennState - 2010-06-01 10:07 AM Well I'm exhausted today. The reason I don't follow a training plan is that I listen to my body a lot. I train according to what my schedule allows and how I feel. I have trained with a coach before and that was good as well, just prefer the wing-it strategy currently.

I was just thinking as I was climbing the three flights of stairs to my edit bay that I prefer to train on how my body feels. I don't know if that is the best or smartest thing to do but it seems to work for me. I will usually go by a time and distance of a training plan and then break it up according to how my body feels.

Tonight I'm going to do stationary bike and swim because my legs are tired. I would just swim but my wife wants to do the bike and I'm trying to get her into triathlons so I'll just go easy on the bike and swim at least 2000 yds later. Hopefully after she gets some time on the stationary bike we'll go get her a real bike and we can start to ride together. She plans on her first sprint being in March of next year so that gets her plenty of time to get comfortable with s/b/r.
2010-06-01 4:32 PM

Expert
I am taking today off to rest my groin from a long memorial weekend of training. All things considered i was extremely pleased with the level of pain i had and my ability to train smart through the pain. I have an appointment today for some Active Release and Deep Tissue Massage on the area to help
2010-06-01 5:42 PM

2010-06-01 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2895264

Expert
PennState - 2010-06-01 6:42 PM Allergies are really killing me the last few days. I still train through them, but wish they weren't there. Hoping for a long run early tomorrow AM

Same here. I know some pople that have had success getting allergy shots 1X a year...something i keep meaning to look in to
2010-06-01 6:11 PM

2010-06-01 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2894338

2010-06-01 7:49 PM

Expert
Thornton, CO
The week off in San Diego is part of my planned vacation time for the year.  Not going to do a marathon here and not hang out a little

Got in an awesome run yesterday during my drive out here.  Stopped in Zion National Park to camp for the night to break the trip into two days instead of an 18 hour straight drive.  Got there early enough to go for a run.  Ran up Angel's Landing (one of their hardest hikes), got a lot of looks and comments as I ran past people.  It climbs about 2k feet in 2 miles, it's an out and back "hike" normally.  I have some great pictures and will post them once I connect the camera.  

Battery on the laptop is about to die though and I need to get back to the beach ;-)  Just had to get online because of a customer mistake that happened at work and me getting a call on the cell about it from the office. :-/  So my 'vacation time' isn't ever completely disconnected from work. 
2010-06-01 7:53 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
What to do....?

There is a  small tri taking place Friday evening. I did the race last year and it is in a venue that I know well.  I had no intention of doing it but I am now reconsidering. The reason I am even entertaining the idea is because I get VERY nervous about every race I do and as of now the Boulder sprint is my first race. Never racing in Boulder and not knowing the course (yet) along with being amongst all these elite racers adds to my anxiety.  I am thinking that doing the race this Friday will allow me to shake some of the cobwebs off, get the chance to race with my tri bike in a comfortable setting and get the first race of the season under my belt.  However... I have not done any OWS yet and the first one would be on race day.  I am pretty comfortable in my wetsuit and I am not to worried about having to get used to it again. I am a bit concerned about the cold however.  I could go to the swim beach and test it out tomorrow or Thursday I guess.
What to do, what to do..???
2010-06-01 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2895459

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Kath2163 - 2010-06-01 7:53 PM What to do....?

There is a  small tri taking place Friday evening. I did the race last year and it is in a venue that I know well.  I had no intention of doing it but I am now reconsidering. The reason I am even entertaining the idea is because I get VERY nervous about every race I do and as of now the Boulder sprint is my first race. Never racing in Boulder and not knowing the course (yet) along with being amongst all these elite racers adds to my anxiety.  I am thinking that doing the race this Friday will allow me to shake some of the cobwebs off, get the chance to race with my tri bike in a comfortable setting and get the first race of the season under my belt.  However... I have not done any OWS yet and the first one would be on race day.  I am pretty comfortable in my wetsuit and I am not to worried about having to get used to it again. I am a bit concerned about the cold however.  I could go to the swim beach and test it out tomorrow or Thursday I guess.
What to do, what to do..???

Sounds like a great opportunity to shake off the rust and get more comfortable for your Boulder event.  You don't have to approach it as a big race, instead think of it as another training day in preparation for your bigger events.  It will also give you an idea of your fitness compared to the past and give you a chance practice your transitions and bike set up.  If you have a full wetsuit and are wearing a swim cap you should be fine in the water, even if it is a bit cold.  Good luck

I am also trying to decide between a couple of upcoming races, a Sprint this weekend or an Olympic the following weekend.  I am leaning toward the Olympic as it should give me a better idea of my fitness.  Kind of weird but I am also thinking about skipping both because they will interfere with my training and getting in some longer training days.  Hard for me not to race the events and take a mini couple day taper prior.  I guess the events give us a reason for all the training and help to break up the monotomy of all the training.  

Greg 
2010-06-01 10:04 PM

Master
Redlands, CA
Kathleen / Greg

I would do the races, especially if its only nerves.  I personally have the same issues and the only way to get rid of them is to race. 

I can understand racing interrupts training but I also know that for me at least, races seem to make me faster.  Maybe its because I slack in training and go all out in races, who knows, but I notice an actual improvement after most races I do (I don't race alot).  Of course, what works for me may not work for someone else.

2010-06-01 10:23 PM

Master
Redlands, CA

Seems like I'm not the only one gassed from Memorial weekend training.  First time I've ridden 5 days in a row maybe ever;  and I probably should have stopped at 4.  I actually had an ice bath today I was so sore.

So I'll take a day off tommorow, and probably just swim on Thursday.  Give the legs some respite.

2010-06-02 1:39 AM

Expert
I start my 20 week 1/2 IM training program this weekend. I'm just using the one of BT as I likes the couch to Olympic that they had. I don't follow them exactly but I do try to hit the time and distance that they have on them for the week and make sure that I get my rest week in every 4 weeks. The first week on the 1/2 IM plan is about 7 hours and builds to 10 1/2 toward the end.

I should be able to get the time in but I'm going to have to get my butt out of bed in the morning and work out. Not much of a morning person and when I train by myself its hard to get motivated in the morning. If I have plans to workout with someone I get up no problem. That will probably be the biggest hurdle for me is just getting out of bed in the morning. Once I get going I'm fine.

I'm really excited to see how my fitness level changes over the next 5 months. I can already see huge gains in my fitness and weight so far and I haven't even been training very much. I know that I'll be able to finish the race but I would like to be able to set a goal time and finish in that time or better. My mental toughness is better but I still have a way to go on that also. Probably going to start to go more bike and run focused for a couple months because my swim seems to be ok for now.

Tonight I did 45 min (14.8 miles) on the stationary bike and then swan for 30 minutes straight (1400 yds). Haven't exactly set my goals for June yet.
2010-06-02 7:15 AM
in reply to: #2895709

Pro
Canandaigua NY

furiousferret - 2010-06-01 11:04 PM Kathleen / Greg

I would do the races, especially if its only nerves.  I personally have the same issues and the only way to get rid of them is to race. 

I can understand racing interrupts training but I also know that for me at least, races seem to make me faster.  Maybe its because I slack in training and go all out in races, who knows, but I notice an actual improvement after most races I do (I don't race alot).  Of course, what works for me may not work for someone else.

I agree with this!  I don't get too nervous for races, but doing 17 to 20 weeks of just training for an event can burn me out a bit and the racing tends to rejuvinate my training.  Plus, none of us ever practice transitions enough!

2010-06-02 7:16 AM
in reply to: #2895816

Pro
Canandaigua NY

phxphotog - 2010-06-02 2:39 AM I start my 20 week 1/2 IM training program this weekend. I'm just using the one of BT as I likes the couch to Olympic that they had. I don't follow them exactly but I do try to hit the time and distance that they have on them for the week and make sure that I get my rest week in every 4 weeks. The first week on the 1/2 IM plan is about 7 hours and builds to 10 1/2 toward the end.

I should be able to get the time in but I'm going to have to get my butt out of bed in the morning and work out. Not much of a morning person and when I train by myself its hard to get motivated in the morning. If I have plans to workout with someone I get up no problem. That will probably be the biggest hurdle for me is just getting out of bed in the morning. Once I get going I'm fine.

I'm really excited to see how my fitness level changes over the next 5 months. I can already see huge gains in my fitness and weight so far and I haven't even been training very much. I know that I'll be able to finish the race but I would like to be able to set a goal time and finish in that time or better. My mental toughness is better but I still have a way to go on that also. Probably going to start to go more bike and run focused for a couple months because my swim seems to be ok for now.

Tonight I did 45 min (14.8 miles) on the stationary bike and then swan for 30 minutes straight (1400 yds). Haven't exactly set my goals for June yet.

I would think where you live that mornings would be the only sane time to get a workout in other than swimming!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121