User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
dangremond - 2011-10-20 9:35 AM
sirgab - 2011-10-19 4:00 PM
ernestov - 2011-10-18 7:39 AM
sirgab - 2011-10-17 9:56 PM

You're a nutcase but that's great!, reminds me of myself... Ironman Texas is a great venue, the bike course runs through Sam Houston National Forest on the first half, gorgeous place. The run is in a fithy rich part of town around Lake The Woodlands. I'm gonna be your main cheerleader, I'm already buying a skirt and pompons, I'm pretty sure Jackie will go to see you too.

Get pumped!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edBOj0R51lM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT1PajCc8eg&feature=related

Ernesto,  Thanks for the videos and for your cheerleading support offer Smile, I'm already totally excited about the gargantuan challenge ahead!!!    

Jackie, great to see your trophy and from the pic I assume it is sitting over your microwave.  You probably will need a cool display case for all your future trophies/medals!

Mitch, regarding paid membership value, I agree with Chris's comment, where the most value comes from giving back to BT which has been a valuable resource to us!

I had forgotten about the 30 day challenge but thanks for the remainder since Nov. is coming up!  Agree that races could generate bonus points and there is a 21k lava challenge race up a volcano in Nov. that I will have to do then.

So, maybe something like this:  Maybe a point per day for 30 minutes of swimming, biking or running (no extra points for doubling up disciplines, etc.) and minus a point when you don't?  One extra point for a race?  All workouts must be logged on BT.  Self report points at the end.  Is that too complicated?  I've never done anything like this so let me know your thoughts.

Rules are pretty simple, whoever gets the most workouts (minimum 30') between Nov. 1st and the 30th is the challenge winner, tie break will be minutes in excess of 30. You get a special credit for any race, one day before and one after. This is a challenge that my triathlon club held every year and it sounds easy, but it is HARD to maintain consistency. The goal is to teach frequency to your body.

2011-10-20 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3731529

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-10-20 10:39 AM
dangremond - 2011-10-20 9:35 AM
sirgab - 2011-10-19 4:00 PM
ernestov - 2011-10-18 7:39 AM
sirgab - 2011-10-17 9:56 PM

You're a nutcase but that's great!, reminds me of myself... Ironman Texas is a great venue, the bike course runs through Sam Houston National Forest on the first half, gorgeous place. The run is in a fithy rich part of town around Lake The Woodlands. I'm gonna be your main cheerleader, I'm already buying a skirt and pompons, I'm pretty sure Jackie will go to see you too.

Get pumped!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edBOj0R51lM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT1PajCc8eg&feature=related

Ernesto,  Thanks for the videos and for your cheerleading support offer Smile, I'm already totally excited about the gargantuan challenge ahead!!!    

Jackie, great to see your trophy and from the pic I assume it is sitting over your microwave.  You probably will need a cool display case for all your future trophies/medals!

Mitch, regarding paid membership value, I agree with Chris's comment, where the most value comes from giving back to BT which has been a valuable resource to us!

I had forgotten about the 30 day challenge but thanks for the remainder since Nov. is coming up!  Agree that races could generate bonus points and there is a 21k lava challenge race up a volcano in Nov. that I will have to do then.

So, maybe something like this:  Maybe a point per day for 30 minutes of swimming, biking or running (no extra points for doubling up disciplines, etc.) and minus a point when you don't?  One extra point for a race?  All workouts must be logged on BT.  Self report points at the end.  Is that too complicated?  I've never done anything like this so let me know your thoughts.

Rules are pretty simple, whoever gets the most workouts (minimum 30') between Nov. 1st and the 30th is the challenge winner, tie break will be minutes in excess of 30. You get a special credit for any race, one day before and one after. This is a challenge that my triathlon club held every year and it sounds easy, but it is HARD to maintain consistency. The goal is to teach frequency to your body.

Thanks for the outline!  So Swim 30', Bike 30' and Run 30' in one day gets three points? Sounds like a blast!

2011-10-22 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Master
Dallas

Chris,

I've noticed you have resumed swimming, have you purchased any "toys"? I'm talking kickboard, pullbuoy, fins, etc. There's a lot of room of improvement in your pace. Someone with your endurance and running speed can swim 1:30's with ease, but proper technique is needed.

Maybe another possibility is joining a swim squad and commiting to two sessions a week, or hiring a coach for a couple of months to evolve your stroke... You're already taking steps towards more speed on the bike, so I thought it would be good to work on the weak leg (pool). I don't know how your time availability works with this though, I know how tough it can get.

2011-10-22 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3734227

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-10-22 9:56 AM

Chris,

I've noticed you have resumed swimming, have you purchased any "toys"? I'm talking kickboard, pullbuoy, fins, etc. There's a lot of room of improvement in your pace. Someone with your endurance and running speed can swim 1:30's with ease, but proper technique is needed.

Maybe another possibility is joining a swim squad and commiting to two sessions a week, or hiring a coach for a couple of months to evolve your stroke... You're already taking steps towards more speed on the bike, so I thought it would be good to work on the weak leg (pool). I don't know how your time availability works with this though, I know how tough it can get.

Ernesto,

I have flippers and boards, that thing you put between your legs and other toys are available to use at my fitness club. I currently don't use any of them. Right now I'm just working up to being able to swim 2500 yards nonstop at a reasonable pace, say 1:50 per 100 yards. Last year, at the anniversary of my Lifetime fitness club membership, I was given about 100 "Lifetime bucks", or dollars to be spent on special services at the club. I used them for about 4 half hour private swim lessons. So I think my form is pretty good. I just don't swim enough. I could join this teacher's master swim class, but it would mess up my life a little bit. (My five kids are going to four different schools. Getting them all off to school is going very well this year, but it is a pretty finely timed operation which requires two adults.)

And I'm not sure it's worth it. Going from 1:50 per 100 yards to 130 is about an 18% improvement. For a 70.3, this would take only about 8.67 minutes off my time. An 18% improvement on the bike, from say 17 mph to 20.8 mph, would shave about 36 minutes off my time. For now, I think I need to focus on the bike. Right now my plan for that is a spin class on Sunday mornings at the fitness club, a Monday night cycle class at my local bike shop on my bike on a trainer with the same instructor (a very good local triathlete), with one more ride either on the trainer or outside sometime during the rest of the week. The class at the local bike shop was just brutal.
2011-10-22 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3734297

User image

Master
Dallas
chris2533 - 2011-10-22 12:00 PM

Chris,

Ernesto, I have flippers and boards, that thing you put between your legs and other toys are available to use at my fitness club. I currently don't use any of them. Right now I'm just working up to being able to swim 2500 yards nonstop at a reasonable pace, say 1:50 per 100 yards. Last year, at the anniversary of my Lifetime fitness club membership, I was given about 100 "Lifetime bucks", or dollars to be spent on special services at the club. I used them for about 4 half hour private swim lessons. So I think my form is pretty good. I just don't swim enough. I could join this teacher's master swim class, but it would mess up my life a little bit. (My five kids are going to four different schools. Getting them all off to school is going very well this year, but it is a pretty finely timed operation which requires two adults.) And I'm not sure it's worth it. Going from 1:50 per 100 yards to 130 is about an 18% improvement. For a 70.3, this would take only about 8.67 minutes off my time. An 18% improvement on the bike, from say 17 mph to 20.8 mph, would shave about 36 minutes off my time. For now, I think I need to focus on the bike. Right now my plan for that is a spin class on Sunday mornings at the fitness club, a Monday night cycle class at my local bike shop on my bike on a trainer with the same instructor (a very good local triathlete), with one more ride either on the trainer or outside sometime during the rest of the week. The class at the local bike shop was just brutal.
Yep! I thought that your time was the limiter. But regardless, don't think of the pool as the means for shaving a few minutes off your triathlon (only), swimming is a SUPER conditioner for the other sports too, and if I may add, no matter how good a cyclist/runner you are, if you leave the water tired it will set a different tone for the rest of the race.

Your progress is great anyway, I'm glad to know you're getting your butt kicked in the spin class, that means gains.

2011-10-24 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3734335

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-10-22 1:23 PM
chris2533 - 2011-10-22 12:00 PM

Chris,

Ernesto, I have flippers and boards, that thing you put between your legs and other toys are available to use at my fitness club. I currently don't use any of them. Right now I'm just working up to being able to swim 2500 yards nonstop at a reasonable pace, say 1:50 per 100 yards. Last year, at the anniversary of my Lifetime fitness club membership, I was given about 100 "Lifetime bucks", or dollars to be spent on special services at the club. I used them for about 4 half hour private swim lessons. So I think my form is pretty good. I just don't swim enough. I could join this teacher's master swim class, but it would mess up my life a little bit. (My five kids are going to four different schools. Getting them all off to school is going very well this year, but it is a pretty finely timed operation which requires two adults.) And I'm not sure it's worth it. Going from 1:50 per 100 yards to 130 is about an 18% improvement. For a 70.3, this would take only about 8.67 minutes off my time. An 18% improvement on the bike, from say 17 mph to 20.8 mph, would shave about 36 minutes off my time. For now, I think I need to focus on the bike. Right now my plan for that is a spin class on Sunday mornings at the fitness club, a Monday night cycle class at my local bike shop on my bike on a trainer with the same instructor (a very good local triathlete), with one more ride either on the trainer or outside sometime during the rest of the week. The class at the local bike shop was just brutal.
Yep! I thought that your time was the limiter. But regardless, don't think of the pool as the means for shaving a few minutes off your triathlon (only), swimming is a SUPER conditioner for the other sports too, and if I may add, no matter how good a cyclist/runner you are, if you leave the water tired it will set a different tone for the rest of the race.

Your progress is great anyway, I'm glad to know you're getting your butt kicked in the spin class, that means gains.

Chris: I used a coach a few seasons ago just to fix a few things form wise and to try to get a bit more efficient. It was worth the money and wish I would have kept with her.  I've also thought about the Life Time Master's program but I think you need to canvass the clubs available in your area because around where I live while the costs are the same but the level of instruction and coaching varies wildly.  -Mitch

2011-10-24 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3729474

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
chris2533 - 2011-10-19 7:14 AM
jdiis - 2011-10-19 12:32 AM

OK everyone, I posted pics of the booty on my profile page.

Are we still doing that November challenge thing?

I love the Austin trophy with the guitar. What are the other two? A spice rub and a box? (As for November, I forgot all about it. What are the details again?)

The Austin trophy is really cool.  It came with the spice rub.  The other one is a paperweight, I think.  It's actually better than it looks in the picture.  This weekend I worked mile 23 on the bike course of the Longhorn 70.3 at Decker Lake.  What a hoot.  Those pros are something else!

2011-10-26 10:57 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: And... we are back!

Medically cleared; physically not 100% recovered. 

Time to re-start.... something. Anybody got jumper cables? 

2011-10-27 1:32 PM

User image

Expert

Ernesto and Gang,

Time for a checkup.  I am following Hal Higdon's novice 2 half marathon training plan.  ???I am on week 6, which calls for an optional 5k race this weekend.

???www.halhidgon.com/halfmarathon/novice2.html

On Monday night during my run in downtown Austin after dark, I tripped on the sidewalk and fell on my left side.  My left ribs are still pretty tender.  It's funny because we run up the steps at the Capitol and everyone sort of sings the Rocky song.  The next day I felt like I had been in the ring. 

I managed to run 2 mi yesterday morning, but called it quits.  I took today off.  I don't really feel like running right now.  I'm sure by Sat and/or Sun I will feel fine.  Should I sign up for the race or just run a 5K on my own when I feel like it on Sat or Sun?

I also added some carbs back in my diet and am getting more sleep, so I feel less tired than I did.  Also wondering whether I should workou everyday at my age for the Nov challenge.  I know it's only 30 min, but I really feel my body needs one or two rest days a week.

Your thoughts, please.

2011-10-27 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3740937

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Jackie,

Sorry to hear about your fall. I'll speak only to what I might have some perspective on, which is the age thing. (I think I'm the closest in age to you in this group, but am not sure.) I think anyone of any age can overtrain, but I'm not sure how much that has to do with doing something every day. My guess is that if during the course of the week you feel you absolutely need a day or two off, that isn't an indication of age, but instead an indication that you've been working out too hard on the days you've been working out. Everyone always says the most common mistake of runners is that they run their slow days too fast and their fast days too slow (and there shouldn't be more than one or two fast days a week). So you tell me, if you exercised every day but really pushed it only one or two days a week, and took it pretty easy the other five, do you think that would cause your body to scream for a day off?

Edited by chris2533 2011-10-27 3:14 PM
2011-10-28 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

Sorry guys that I have been absent for so long. On the 23rd, lightning struck one of the facilities that I support and we lost about $1.5 million worth of electronic equipment, not counting throughput and downtime. On Sunday I worked a 20 hour day, 17 on Monday, 15 on Tuesday and so on... I'm just coming back to normal now, maybe I will put a run today, it would be my first workout in 8 days. My plans to do Oilman are completely out the window, and the only thing that I may be able to do is run the White Rock Half is I can get some training in November.

I'll stay in touch! Smile

2011-10-28 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3740937

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-10-27 1:32 PM

Ernesto and Gang,

Time for a checkup.  I am following Hal Higdon's novice 2 half marathon training plan.  ???I am on week 6, which calls for an optional 5k race this weekend.

???www.halhidgon.com/halfmarathon/novice2.html

On Monday night during my run in downtown Austin after dark, I tripped on the sidewalk and fell on my left side.  My left ribs are still pretty tender.  It's funny because we run up the steps at the Capitol and everyone sort of sings the Rocky song.  The next day I felt like I had been in the ring. 

I managed to run 2 mi yesterday morning, but called it quits.  I took today off.  I don't really feel like running right now.  I'm sure by Sat and/or Sun I will feel fine.  Should I sign up for the race or just run a 5K on my own when I feel like it on Sat or Sun?

I also added some carbs back in my diet and am getting more sleep, so I feel less tired than I did.  Also wondering whether I should workou everyday at my age for the Nov challenge.  I know it's only 30 min, but I really feel my body needs one or two rest days a week.

Your thoughts, please.

Jackie,

Sorry about your fall, it happens. Better that than overuse injuries though... Chris is right, maybe the days you're working out you're putting it all out there and your body is not catching up. I can look for signs but no one can tell you how you feel, maybe it's time that you back off intensity or duration a little. Always keep in mind that only the training that your body can absorb is good, the rest is junk miles.

Don't race if you're in pain.

2011-10-29 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Jackie, sorry to hear about the fall... As far as overdoing it, from my experience,  it is not only the actual workouts that contribute, but everything else you do during the week, stress included... And unless you need to train yourself for some crazy distance that involves running when you are super tired - don't do it.

Having said that, I can't believe Ernesto's workload... Insane! Hope things are under control now now and you can resume some training.

Just came back from a 1 mile TT with the running club. A bit disappointing with 6:45 (and I did miss out on a good bottle of red they were handing out to the fast ones - boo), I have no idea how to pace it. You can't really go all out, because you will be slowing down later. I will master it one day. Oh, I biked to the club for 15kms and just got there on time (6:30am)...

Edited by markz 2011-10-29 7:50 PM
2011-10-30 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3743858

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

@Jackie Sorry to here about the mishap. I hope you are starting to feel better. Happy Birthday in Advance!!

@Ernesto, and I thought my work schedule was bad! Hang in there and take care of yourself as I know you will.

As for me, after a lackluster October in which I managed to maintain a little fitness, I'm looking forward to the November challenge. 30 days of activity is just what I need about now but it will not be easy as my work schedule is still very hectic. I've got to schedule a race somewhere and get back into a masters swimming program as I feel I'm just kinda drifting around in my training. I also don't want to go into yet another year doing 11 minute miles!

2011-10-30 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

November challenge is close!! remember, it is not about speed or going long, the game is about frequency. It does wonders to your body, but don't overdo it. We're all leveled on this one, so the toughest cookie will win! I will really try to put the 30 minutes in every day despite my crazy work.

Don't forget to keep your log updated! Smile

2011-10-30 9:36 PM

User image

Expert

Aki, Welcome back.  I recommend swimming if you can.

Ernesto, Hope that work thing settles down a lot.

Mark, I'm sorry you're disappointed in your mile TT.  That sounds fast to me Wink

Chris, Thanks for the insight on the everyday thing.  It makes sense.

Barry, Thanks for the bday wishes.  I move to a new age group in January.  Woohoo!

So, I did the 5K Run for the Water today.  It was 44 degrees out.  I had to wear gloves while waiting to start.  I thought I was in Minnesota or Chicago.  Although my ribs were still tender, I was chomping at the bit to run, so I figured I may as well just follow the training plan and do the recommended 5K. 

After finishing, I stayed around as a volunteer for the 10 miler that was going on at the same time.  I finally got around to checking the results for the 5K.  You guys are great coaches and cheerleaders.  I set another PR and managed to capture 1st in AG.  I figured out that I can run a lot faster when I don't swim and bike first Innocent.  The funny part was, I missed the awards ceremony because I was working the race.  Oh well. 

The results are at http://www.mychiptime.com/searchevent.php?id=6097 and my AG is F 55-59.  All you analytical types can check it out.  My new Vdot results say my half mary time would be 2:04.  I'm not ready until it's under 2:00.

Thanks for all your inspiration.  It really makes a difference for me.

2011-10-31 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Looking forward to the Nov. challenge...but not to tomorrow morning.  Halloween for me consists of pulling a red wagon around the subdivision with a group of dads while our kids trick or treat.  The red wagon's purpose is to carry the coolers with the beer.  I'll have to cut myself off a bit earlier than past years so I can get up and usher in November the right way!
2011-10-31 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3744828

User image

Master
jdiis - 2011-10-30 9:36 PM

So, I did the 5K Run for the Water today.  It was 44 degrees out.  I had to wear gloves while waiting to start.  I thought I was in Minnesota or Chicago.  Although my ribs were still tender, I was chomping at the bit to run, so I figured I may as well just follow the training plan and do the recommended 5K. 

After finishing, I stayed around as a volunteer for the 10 miler that was going on at the same time.  I finally got around to checking the results for the 5K.  You guys are great coaches and cheerleaders.  I set another PR and managed to capture 1st in AG.  I figured out that I can run a lot faster when I don't swim and bike first Innocent.  The funny part was, I missed the awards ceremony because I was working the race.  Oh well. 

The results are at http://www.mychiptime.com/searchevent.php?id=6097 and my AG is F 55-59.  All you analytical types can check it out.  My new Vdot results say my half mary time would be 2:04.  I'm not ready until it's under 2:00.

Thanks for all your inspiration.  It really makes a difference for me.

Jackie: Awesome race - you destroyed the rest of your field!  44 degrees?  That's just about perfect running temperature. -Mitch

2011-10-31 2:08 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Jackie,

I noticed you crushed the rest of the field as well. You didn't just win, you won by three minutes. And you are asking us for advice?
2011-10-31 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Nice Job on the AG win Jackie! (you are starting to collect those) I'll agree with Mitch, 44 degrees is perfect running weather. Wink
2011-10-31 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

So just in time for the November challenge, I went down on the bike today. Nothing serious but a direct hit on my right knee and elbow. The knee is slightly swollen but nothing that a little ice and rest shouldn't handle. So November 1st. may be a swimming day for me.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/125661415

2011-11-01 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3746347

User image

Master
baurryman - 2011-10-31 7:38 PM

So just in time for the November challenge, I went down on the bike today. Nothing serious but a direct hit on my right knee and elbow. The knee is slightly swollen but nothing that a little ice and rest shouldn't handle. So November 1st. may be a swimming day for me.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/125661415

Sorry about the spill.  Sounds like it hurt.  Hope you heal fast!

2011-11-01 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
Don't forget your thirty minutes today! Smile
2011-11-01 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3746752

User image

Master

ernestov - 2011-11-01 8:25 AM Don't forget your thirty minutes today! Smile

Done...limited myself to two beers over the 2.5 miles of trick or treating last night.  Up at 5am and ran 5 miles.  Best easy run I've had in weeks.  HR was very contained and just ran "easy".  Felt great...41 degrees and clear skies full of stars.  Looked up and saw Orion reminding me that it is definitely not summer anymore.

2011-11-01 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
I got mine! Did you get yours?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84