BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-09-05 7:12 AM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Intellectually I know that training is supposed to suck at this point in the IM cycle but it is so hard to have every workout be so defeating. I am struggling to hit my numbers in every discipline (I guess it isn't supposed to be easy or there would be no improvement). I know that if I can just get through this next weekend that things will ease up a bit. But.....this weekend is going to be a doozy. I made the mistake of looking at Saturday's bike ride. It is going to hurt!

Good luck to all of the racers this weekend.

I am wildly curious to hear about the draft legal racing. I think Michael is right on with his road bike advice. As I have no road bike, I would be on a tri bike but if I had the option in that format it would be road bike all the way.

2013-09-05 7:24 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jimmyb

Anyway, life has thrown some curves my way (fortunately, all good ones) and I've had to re-evaluate my priorities. .

ALL GOOD ONES! PHEW!! Rearranging priorities doesn't sound like a bad thing when the result of good things. So congrats and don't worry about IMWI. There will be others.

2013-09-05 9:06 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by jimmyb Anyway, life has thrown some curves my way (fortunately, all good ones) and I've had to re-evaluate my priorities. .
ALL GOOD ONES! PHEW!! Rearranging priorities doesn't sound like a bad thing when the result of good things. So congrats and don't worry about IMWI. There will be others.

Jimmy-sounds like you are making good decisions! Those are the kind you don't regret. Good for you.

Jason-hang in there. I swear the last few key workouts before a big race are worse than the race itself....just try to survive!

2013-09-05 11:17 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster
Intellectually I know that training is supposed to suck at this point in the IM cycle but it is so hard to have every workout be so defeating. I am struggling to hit my numbers in every discipline (I guess it isn't supposed to be easy or there would be no improvement). I know that if I can just get through this next weekend that things will ease up a bit. But.....this weekend is going to be a doozy. I made the mistake of looking at Saturday's bike ride. It is going to hurt!

I remember when I first started training for IMLou, I was watching videos where people kept saying that the race was just a long training day, or the race was nothing compared to the training. I remember being incredulous b/c an Ironman seemed so hard; however, I can say now that the training is as tough or tougher than the actual race. I remember the last few weeks of peak training, I felt the same way as you. Heck, I was ready for the race to come just so I wouldn't have to do those weekends anymore!
2013-09-05 12:38 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Wow, I have a couple of busy days and come back to a VERY busy group!

First of all, good luck to everyone racing this weekend. Sounds like it's the busiest racing weekend so far. Suzy, I look forward to hearing all about IM WI. Sadly I won't be able to track you as we'll be in France on Sunday, so no mobile internet :-( On the positive side, that's because we'll be midway through cycling to Paris, and I'm really looking forward to that!

Thanks for all the comments about pedals. I've decided to suck it up and use the new ones. I coped fine on a group ride with some guys from work on Tuesday, so I'm just going to stick with it. Nancy, your question about skiing made me laugh (mostly at myself) because I worked as a full time professional ski instructor for about a year, and so I really should be able to get it right! It's not the actual clipping part that's hard, it's just getting used to how far forward to put my foot and getting going enough to have half a second's grace to get things at the right angle. But hopefully that's coming...

Jamie and Nate - congrats on getting signed up for next year. Sounds like that was a bit of rush! Unfortunately I've missed out on signing up for Outlaw again next year, which was the plan. They opened entries a lot earlier this year and we're about to go away on holiday, so just didn't have the money in place. We've had a re-think of plans and are considering Challenge Henley instead. It's a September race, which has a lot to recommend it, and it's meant to be a lovely course. I'm thinking about finding a HIM for mid-season to give me an intermediate goal, which would also be nice, so I'm feeling quite positive about next year. It seems like iron distance is getting incredibly popular. IM UK completely filled the pre-registration places in less than a day, and are releasing spaces 50 at a time so that they sell out really fast, and while Outlaw took 3 days to fill, the Outlaw half was full by 10am on the day that general entries opened at 9am.

Jason - stay strong. As Jamie said, the training in generally harder than the racing, so just remember that all that work you're doing now is going to make race day EASY!
2013-09-05 12:47 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

I remember the last few weeks of peak training, I felt the same way as you. Heck, I was ready for the race to come just so I wouldn't have to do those weekends anymore!

This made me laugh. That is exactly! what I have been thinking. I would rather race than go through another weekend of training right now. For the last several weeks I have been doing very close to a full IM in distance between Friday and Sunday

2013-09-05 1:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
After reading everyone's comments I am set on the road bike, If I do happen to get caught in a spot wher I can lead or need to get more areo I have clip on's on my road bike so no real disadvantage.

Jason, on a brighter note there is less and less smoke everyday, this morning actually looked like a regular morning blue skies, mountains and all.

Edited by mrajki 2013-09-05 1:56 PM
2013-09-05 2:24 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mrajki

Jason, on a brighter note there is less and less smoke everyday, this morning actually looked like a regular morning blue skies, mountains and all.

Awesome. I will stop looking at Chesapeakeman as my backup plan.
2013-09-06 3:41 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Ran great last night.

Almost died on the bike this morning.

Swam as well as I have in awhile this afternoon.

I am on an every other workout cycle: good/bad.....
2013-09-07 7:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Good luck to all the racers this weekend, can't wait to read some RRs!

I'm off for a bike ride, first Saturday ride since IMLou!
2013-09-07 12:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Just in from this morning's race...my first at the Olympic distance, and...

I WON!

OK, OK...I was the ONLY Novice female in my division, so it's not that big of a deal. I did score a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio and a box of 100 Hammer gels.

Was a good experience. Good swim, good bike, and a good run (for me). I expected the run to be MUCH harder. After the first mile, I just kept it in an easy gear and put one foot in front of the other.

Here's my race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=245...

My only issue is coming out of transition, both swim to bike and bike to run, but moreso on the latter. I don't know if while I'm in transition area, my adrenaline gets jacked up or what, but I have a really hard time keeping my heart rate down as I'm coming out of transition. I wore my watch today for the run to see if I was heading out of transition at a pace that's just too fast (something that happens a lot when I get off the bike...I find I'm running 1:00-1:30 faster per mile than I need to be), but that wasn't the case today. It takes about 5 minutes for me to get calmed down enough to get into a rhythm.

Thoughts?

Edited by glfprncs 2013-09-07 12:29 PM

2013-09-07 3:08 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-great job. Always nice to walk away with goodies! Good to keep an idea on pace coming out of transition as its easy to go faster than planned. Unfortunately, we pay for it later in the race. Lots of folks down here heading to Augusta in a few weeks. 

My race went well. It was really hot but I had a PR for the olympic distance 2:13:13. Some rollers and unfortunately some jelly fish in the Gulf. Got stung across the back of both legs early in the swim. Won my AG by about 7 minutes and ended up getting award for 3rd in Masters (40+).....they didn't have grandmaster category for us old 50+ guys. Splits were: swim 24:29; bike 1:01:19: and run 44:52. Really pleased with my run given the heat. Lots of guys blew up on the run but I was able to keep a pretty steady pace  despite 2 short breaks at aid stations to stay hydrated. I'm pleased with the result as I was feeling a little burned out heading into the race.

Good luck racers. Suzy-hope you have a great day in Madison!

2013-09-07 3:20 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
HOORAY NANCY!! 100 Hammer Gels! WOW that would carry me into 2015! Congrats!

Yikes Randy - jellyfish!! That scares the bejesus outta me. Glad you didn't let it slow you down though - nice job
2013-09-07 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Congratulations, Nancy! Awesome goodies to take home too.

Congratulations to you too, Randy! Nothing slows you down, huh? Not even stinging jelly fish!!

Great job, both of you.
2013-09-07 4:08 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Calgary, AB

Way to go Nancy and Randy!

On my side -- finished my sprint.  Managed to improve 9 minutes over last year's time, and that was despite a slower course (hillier bike course which was changed from last year due to flooding, and it was rainy today -- median race time was 5 minutes slower than last year).  

Came in 24/29 in my age group (last year was 29/30) and about 30 places higher overall despite a larger field.

Improvement was all across the board -- Swim + T1 was better by 3 min, Bike was better by 3 min, T2 + Run was better by 3 min.  

In some ways, I would have liked to see even more improvement -- but I can't (and won't) complain too much!

Scott.

2013-09-07 4:22 PM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Master
South Alabama

Scott-that is outstanding! Really nice improvement on a tougher course. Just think what you will do next year!  

2013-09-07 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by glfprncs

Just in from this morning's race...my first at the Olympic distance, and...

I WON!

OK, OK...I was the ONLY Novice female in my division, so it's not that big of a deal. I did score a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio and a box of 100 Hammer gels.

Was a good experience. Good swim, good bike, and a good run (for me). I expected the run to be MUCH harder. After the first mile, I just kept it in an easy gear and put one foot in front of the other.

Here's my race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=245...

My only issue is coming out of transition, both swim to bike and bike to run, but moreso on the latter. I don't know if while I'm in transition area, my adrenaline gets jacked up or what, but I have a really hard time keeping my heart rate down as I'm coming out of transition. I wore my watch today for the run to see if I was heading out of transition at a pace that's just too fast (something that happens a lot when I get off the bike...I find I'm running 1:00-1:30 faster per mile than I need to be), but that wasn't the case today. It takes about 5 minutes for me to get calmed down enough to get into a rhythm.

Thoughts?

Great to hear the race went so well, and 100 Hammer Gels is quite the prize! It's always hard to slow down at the beginning of the run; I think your legs are used to spinning at a high cadence. It's tough to make yourself slow down, but it definitely pays off later!
2013-09-07 5:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Nancy-great job. Always nice to walk away with goodies! Good to keep an idea on pace coming out of transition as its easy to go faster than planned. Unfortunately, we pay for it later in the race. Lots of folks down here heading to Augusta in a few weeks. 

My race went well. It was really hot but I had a PR for the olympic distance 2:13:13. Some rollers and unfortunately some jelly fish in the Gulf. Got stung across the back of both legs early in the swim. Won my AG by about 7 minutes and ended up getting award for 3rd in Masters (40+).....they didn't have grandmaster category for us old 50+ guys. Splits were: swim 24:29; bike 1:01:19: and run 44:52. Really pleased with my run given the heat. Lots of guys blew up on the run but I was able to keep a pretty steady pace  despite 2 short breaks at aid stations to stay hydrated. I'm pleased with the result as I was feeling a little burned out heading into the race.

Good luck racers. Suzy-hope you have a great day in Madison!

Par for the course, eh, Randy? Swam, got stung by jellyfish, then blew everyone else in your AG off the course. Impressive, especially with the heat! What's the rest of your season look like?
2013-09-07 5:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by Hoos

Way to go Nancy and Randy!

On my side -- finished my sprint.  Managed to improve 9 minutes over last year's time, and that was despite a slower course (hillier bike course which was changed from last year due to flooding, and it was rainy today -- median race time was 5 minutes slower than last year).  

Came in 24/29 in my age group (last year was 29/30) and about 30 places higher overall despite a larger field.

Improvement was all across the board -- Swim + T1 was better by 3 min, Bike was better by 3 min, T2 + Run was better by 3 min.  

In some ways, I would have liked to see even more improvement -- but I can't (and won't) complain too much!

Scott.

Great race, 9-minute improvement in a year is something to he really happy about!
2013-09-07 7:26 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Randy or Jason...one of you mentioned earlier this summer that you use Continental GP 4000S tires, and that you use them both for training and races. What sort of mileage do you get out of them using them for both?

Getting new tires for Augusta 70.3 this week, and really would like something that I can just put on and go, and not worry about swapping out tires all the time (though I will keep my old tires for use on the trainer).
2013-09-07 8:32 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by glfprncs Randy or Jason...one of you mentioned earlier this summer that you use Continental GP 4000S tires, and that you use them both for training and races. What sort of mileage do you get out of them using them for both? Getting new tires for Augusta 70.3 this week, and really would like something that I can just put on and go, and not worry about swapping out tires all the time (though I will keep my old tires for use on the trainer).

Nancy-they are great tires. Not sure on what kind of miles you will get out of them as most of my riding is done on rollers that are super smooth and cause very little wear on the tires. But, I will say they seem to be much more durable than my previous Vittoria race tires. I would guess you can get an easy 2-3000 miles out of a set. May want to rotate the rear to the front when it starts to show wear. Good idea to keep the old tire on the trainer. The Conti's are "directional" and have an arrow (kind of hard to find on the sidewall) pointing in the direction the tire is to rotate. Frankly, I don't think it really makes a difference but its there. Highly recommend them!

2013-09-07 9:30 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang-was doing some reading over on Slowtwitch and they had a good breakdown/article on scheduled bike maintenance:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Bike_Maintenance_Schedule_3877.html

2013-09-08 8:42 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy. Smoking fast oly. You just keep raising the bar. Thanks for the link on bike maintenance. Always useful to have something to refer to.

Nancy. Congrats on the win. You can have that on you resume forever :-). I actually do not use continental tires so I can't really advise you very well on mileage you will get on them. I'll see if I can find something.

Scott. Excellent improvement. It is amazing what consistent work will do for you.

Suzy (931 if you don't want to go back and find it) isn't out of the water yet according to the tracker but I am guessing that it is lagging.

I'm off for the last long run of this IM cycle. It is already hot and humid out so it should be a good replica of the afternoon IM run. Survived the bike yesterday. It wasn't pretty but it is behind me now.......
2013-09-08 9:25 AM

User image

Calgary, AB
Suzy's swim time has posted -- 1:49 and she's on the bike.  Go Suzy!
2013-09-08 11:50 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Go Suzy!

Looking forward to following Suzy through her day at IMWI. Looks like she is maintaining a steady 17mph pace through the first 2 check points on the bike.

Have teammate and friends doing 70.3WC and a friend doing Muskoka so I'll be checking in on folks throughout the day.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88