BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2013-10-15 2:19 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed
Originally posted by Burd

I need someone to either slap me for being silly or cheer me on. I am tossing the idea around of doing a century on December 7th. This puts me 8 weeks out and all the plans I have seen are for 8 weeks if your base is 25 miles. I did 26 miles last Sunday and felt perfectly fine after. It's more of a tour not a race with 3 available rest locations if needed. I am really loving the bike and think I can do it but just need a little push and reassurance before I pay for it.

Do it!
I did my first century without having gone further than 24 miles and hadn't owned my bike for more than two months or so. I was suffering at mile 60 but after doing this ride 3 times I seem to suffer at about mile 60 no matter what. My century was also local; while I was pondering if I should do the 30 or 60 miles of it my husband said sign up for the 100 miler and when I cannot pedal anymore, call home. At one point all I could think is pedal, pedal, pedal!

You got this! Good luck!

2013-10-15 7:19 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

My marathon race report is up.

Major GI issues at mile 22 to 25 (similar to Chicago Triathlon), and once the cramps cleared, my legs were so stiff that I couldn't get back in the zone. Disappointed with the result, which seems largely of my own making. 5:22 finish. But for the GI issues, I was starting at 4:30 all day.

In another week or two, I am going to do some long runs and try to isolate the nutrition that is causing problems - yep, that's right - my goal will be to make myself sick on a long run - isn't science great?

Also, I'm not sure if I'm glad that I signed up for IMWI now - if the signup was this week, I wouldn't do it. I've got a long way to go to finish that race - very long.

I'm going to relax this week - masters swim on Tuesday should be fine, then get the bike trainer set up for some easy spins - probably some easy runs on Thursday or Friday. No major running for the rest of the month.

Rough race. To get to the root of your problem consider running without fuel. Go for a three hour run with nothing, or take one gel at like 90 minutes. IF your GI survives that then try one at 60 minutes and one at 120 minutes. If you are good like that try more. Try to figure out the furthest you can go with the least amount of fuel. Obviously, you can go for hours and hours without fuel, you just have to go slow. So slow it down. Then speed it up, figure out that point where you need fuel. It is different for each pace.

I think it is easier to do it that way then to go out at your marathon pace and start eating as much as you can think you can stomach.
2013-10-16 9:16 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Friends, I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of my family and current object of my affection:

Miss Cryin' Shame

20131016_210827

The name comes from the fact that she's basically going to spend the next five months on the trainer . . .which is a cryin' shame. I'm going to have the name cut out in vinyl lettering, along with a pinup siloutette, in the WW2 bomber nose art style, and place it along the top tube. I'm going to add in hashmarks on the seat tube for each triathlon I do with her.

Specs:

2013 Felt B2, 58cm
Ultegra Di2 front and rear derailleurs
Ultegra Di2 aero shifters
Dura-Ace brake shifters (for dual-position shifting)
Ultegra 53/39 crankset
Garmin Vector pedals
Adamo Prologue saddle

2013-10-17 1:03 PM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon Friends, I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of my family and current object of my affection: Miss Cryin' Shame 20131016_210827 The name comes from the fact that she's basically going to spend the next five months on the trainer . . .which is a cryin' shame. I'm going to have the name cut out in vinyl lettering, along with a pinup siloutette, in the WW2 bomber nose art style, and place it along the top tube. I'm going to add in hashmarks on the seat tube for each triathlon I do with her. Specs: 2013 Felt B2, 58cm Ultegra Di2 front and rear derailleurs Ultegra Di2 aero shifters Dura-Ace brake shifters (for dual-position shifting) Ultegra 53/39 crankset Garmin Vector pedals Adamo Prologue saddle

Nice looking ride!

2013-10-17 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Friends, I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of my family and current object of my affection:

Miss Cryin' Shame

20131016_210827

The name comes from the fact that she's basically going to spend the next five months on the trainer . . .which is a cryin' shame. I'm going to have the name cut out in vinyl lettering, along with a pinup siloutette, in the WW2 bomber nose art style, and place it along the top tube. I'm going to add in hashmarks on the seat tube for each triathlon I do with her.

Specs:

2013 Felt B2, 58cm
Ultegra Di2 front and rear derailleurs
Ultegra Di2 aero shifters
Dura-Ace brake shifters (for dual-position shifting)
Ultegra 53/39 crankset
Garmin Vector pedals
Adamo Prologue saddle

Smokin hot! Be sure to give us a review of the Vectors when you get a chance.
2013-10-17 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon Friends, I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of my family and current object of my affection: Miss Cryin' Shame 20131016_210827 The name comes from the fact that she's basically going to spend the next five months on the trainer . . .which is a cryin' shame. I'm going to have the name cut out in vinyl lettering, along with a pinup siloutette, in the WW2 bomber nose art style, and place it along the top tube. I'm going to add in hashmarks on the seat tube for each triathlon I do with her. Specs: 2013 Felt B2, 58cm Ultegra Di2 front and rear derailleurs Ultegra Di2 aero shifters Dura-Ace brake shifters (for dual-position shifting) Ultegra 53/39 crankset Garmin Vector pedals Adamo Prologue saddle

A thing of beauty!

2013-10-18 7:19 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Well just looked at my new training plan for the Oly in Jan and got it all imported and set up. Guess my schedule just got real. I have been playing Barbie Doll fun time with my earlier plan and it had me basically doing all endurance type workouts without any sort of purpose. As my tri group coach put it..."junk miles". Well the new one has me busting my hump! I'm taking a few days to get over the sticker shock but hit the pool again bright and early Monday. The pool is starting to improve and I really feel bunches more comfortable in the water. Don't know how but I managed to get over 5k yards in for the week. Guess I need to stop typing, ice my knee and SUCK IT UP NANCY BOY!

Hope everyone has a great weekend planned.

P.S. Charles I would hate to give your new steed such a name that isn't going to be needed when it's so sunny and warm here I can "watch" her for the winter...free babysitting just send her on down
2013-10-21 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
A busy weekend, marking the end of my post-marathon debauchery. I'm actually a fair bit disgusted at how I've been eating, so back on the wagon and back on plan.

We finally decided to surrender our dog back to the foster agency - it really wasn't working, and in retrospect it was a bad decision, with the wrong breed and dog for our situation. I hope the find a better home for him, and I feel really terrible about it, and the whole situation is nothing but a bitter failure in my mind. However, now that he's gone, life at home seems back to normal, and our stress levels have decreased noticeably, so it was the right decision.

Started this morning with an FTP test on Trainer Road, and I'm still feeling some deep fatigue from the marathon, so I'm discounting the results somewhat. My wife and I will doing the training plan together, and I'm really proud of her for committing to it and doing the work.
2013-10-24 12:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Question...I can't seem to find the answer and I forgot. About 1:25 into my ride today my HR dropped and for the life of me I couldn't get it over 125 even into the wind. I ate about 180 calories the first hour and started in on the second bottle with the same amount and was half done by the time it happened. Am I not eating enough or is it something else that causes this? Like I said I read what it was before but can't find where. Or was it simply I was spent and lowered my effort without knowing.

Edited by Burd 2013-10-24 12:14 PM
2013-10-24 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Question...I can't seem to find the answer and I forgot. About 1:25 into my ride today my HR dropped and for the life of me I couldn't get it over 125 even into the wind. I ate about 180 calories the first hour and started in on the second bottle with the same amount and was half done by the time it happened. Am I not eating enough or is it something else that causes this? Like I said I read what it was before but can't find where. Or was it simply I was spent and lowered my effort without knowing.

I'm not sure whats going on. I don't think it's nutrition - 180 calories in 90 minutes is decent. Also, whenever I'm just beat and hit the Wall, I've known it without any doubt - I feel it and when I look at the metrics, it's easy to see the fallout. If anything, my heart rate jumps higher at lower effort levels when I'm spent.

Overall, I don't really have anything to suggest. Sorry
2013-10-29 11:35 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Winter Brews are HERE!

Just getting back to working out. Calf is still bothering me. IDK what's going on. I figure I'll start back with s/b and strength w/o until it feels better so I can run. Funny, I've always used my run to catapult me into better fitness. Maybe now I can focus on the other two and run when I can.

Elysian's winter brew and
New Belgium's Imperial IPA tonight.

2013-10-31 7:35 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Hey folks.

Seems like everyone here has come down with the Fall Malaise. My training is more or less on a food- and beer-fueled hiatus post-marathon. It's equal parts "I deserve this for busting my rump all summer" and " aww, screw it . . .". A small vacation this weekend, to see some family. Also a zombie 5k coming up, so it should remind me why I do this crazy stuff. I'll also be racing against my sister, and she was the athletic one growing up, but she "runs" as part of Cross Fit, so 200 to 800 yards . . .

I'm going to re-commit and get back on track on Monday. I know I'm probably up to 190 now, and I've got to do something about that.

Happy Halloween. Don't eat too much candy (though I think any trick-or-treaters who like peanut M&Ms are going to be sadly dissapointed at my house this year . . .. ).
2013-11-01 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Slow week around my house. Only got in one swim on Monday since my coach is away at IMFL. Took the rest of the week off of the run and bike since I had a little nagging thing going on in the back of my knee. Feels better and I may attempt a bike ride later today nice and easy to check it out. Why is it so much easier to put on 3 pounds than lose it?! Time to lay off my one beer a day for a few and see if that is it.

Come Monday lets post up a goal chart for the week and see if we can spark things back up. Even if it's your off season there can still be goals like eat better or anything you can think of that is positive. Has anyone started planning their complete '14 season? I know I'm looking at some key races but scared to pull the trigger.
2013-11-02 7:34 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I'm in.

Was able to manage a mile on the treadmill today. Calf held up. That's a good sign moving forward.
2013-11-02 8:18 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
By the grace of God I just rolled in home from a night at the craft beer fest ( 5 hours of free beer!) Thought of all of you as I made my way through all of the tents trying each beer. I spent the last hour of the event drinking water and making sure I could drive home but had my wife on speed dial just in case Time to get some food in me and hit the hay since my long ride is in the morning.

Hope everyone tears it up this weekend and don't stop! Keep on keepin' on!

Good work Kevin and glad to hear about the calf.
2013-11-04 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Help me decide which to do. I have a century on Dec 8th or a sprint on the 15th. Or is it possible to do both? Since I've never done a century I don't know what my legs will feel like and if a week is enough recovery. I think I'm leaning towards the century on because it sounds fun and there is tons of food at packet pick up and after the ride plus beer and wine. It just sounds like a good time. It looks like if it's a bad idea to do both I kinda answered my own question after typing it out

2013-11-04 7:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Help me decide which to do. I have a century on Dec 8th or a sprint on the 15th. Or is it possible to do both? Since I've never done a century I don't know what my legs will feel like and if a week is enough recovery. I think I'm leaning towards the century on because it sounds fun and there is tons of food at packet pick up and after the ride plus beer and wine. It just sounds like a good time. It looks like if it's a bad idea to do both I kinda answered my own question after typing it out

Don't you just hate it when you do that?

A week apart seems too little. Two weeks, I'd say go for it, especially with Florida flat land - but one week seems asking for trouble. Personally, I know I would go for broke at a sprint, no matter what - but if you think you can hold back and take it easy, it up to you. If it's a smaller event, you might be able to register on race day, which would let you play it by ear without risk to your pocketbook.
2013-11-05 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
It's been 22 days since my last post... My apologies for being AWOL for so long. The last three weeks have been busy. I've made some progress with my son's school district - so that's good. I've also been working hard with my PT and have been incredibly impressed with the people who work there. While my hip still is sore and they haven't given me the green light to run, I know I am making progress.

Today I went to PT and was actually able to reach down and touch the floor, which isn't something I was able to do 3 weeks ago. The PTA also spent time on myofacial release and kneading the scar tissue that surround my f#@*ing IT band. Then I came home, spent 20 minutes doing my strengthening exercises before heading to the gym for 20 minutes on the arc training, 20 minutes of foam rolling and 450 yards in the pool. That's pretty much all I've been up to each day.

I promise to catch up on on the posts during my absence tomorrow. Until then - I wish you all well. I hope you got in a great workout today and rewarded yourself with a tasty ice cold beverage. I'm heading to see the Bruin play tonight - it's my first hockey game in Bean Town and I am looking forward to it!

Just for the record - I saw on facebook that Thor went to a brewery, tried a fruit beer, and LIKED it!
2013-11-05 8:13 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Good to see you are doing well, DQ.

I'm getting back on the wagon - the three weeks post-marathon have been fun, but I'm getting tired of food, beer, and gluttony - it feels good to be getting back into the swing of things.

Trainer road base-building starts this week, with 8 weeks at Base I, then 4 weeks at Base II, then TOUR OF SUFFERLANDRIA!

As of today, my running mileage is 836.25. There are 55 days left this year, which means if I run 2.98 miles per day, I will run 1,000 miles this year. I also signed up for a Half Marathon Turkey Trot, so I need to get a few longer runs in (probably in the 8 to 10 mile range).

My primary goals this winter are to get my FTP up (preferably over 200 watts), and get to racing weight. I will see how I feel and look at 170lbs, and maybe look to drop to 165ish. I really don't want to compromise my IM training by running at a calorie deficit, so the weight is a high priority right now.

That's the plan, anyway.
2013-11-06 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Are you F'ING kidding me....570 miles on my Gatorskins and 2 flat tires already. The last one had kind of a slash and I'm not sure if I should super glue it or replace it. I thought these stupid tires were bomb proof! My friend is rolling some $13 tires and hasn't had a flat in 2 years.
2013-11-07 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Are you F'ING kidding me....570 miles on my Gatorskins and 2 flat tires already. The last one had kind of a slash and I'm not sure if I should super glue it or replace it. I thought these stupid tires were bomb proof! My friend is rolling some $13 tires and hasn't had a flat in 2 years.

Bad luck is bad luck. I cut a tube swapping the tires on my tri bike the first day I had it (using junk tires on the trainer).

Super glue or shoe goo should work. You can also buy tire boots at most bike shops. I also carry some squares of tyvek envelopes (the tough woven envelopes we get sent to our office), which make great tire boots in a pinch.

2013-11-07 10:58 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Just checking in.

Missed run today. Woke up with pain in calf. I'm gonna baby this thing until I can't feel it any more. Been doing indoor bike on cycle trainer to Youtube videos. It's good for now. Also been hitting the crosstraining with Core strength workouts. Can't wait to get back out and run!
2013-11-08 4:05 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

Sucks. Could be a problem in your rim. Bike tires are for the birds, I say.
2013-11-08 4:12 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: BEER BASH
Went to the Beer Bash at the local high end liquor store.

Picture if you will, wandering into the giant well appointed liqour store a bit before 7. The place is large. I didn't know how large. It has this basement with this giant party room about the size of a hockey rink. So you wander down there, grab a glass, and BAM, probably at least 50 tables. Each table had between 5 -10 different beers. Absolutely epic. The beer. Oh the beer. You cannot imagine. Strong beer, weak beer, bacon beer, fruit beer, cider. All of it, for the taking, included in admission ($35).

I have never seen so many happy people at one spot.

2 hours, and conservatively, I don't know, 3-4 litres of beer later, I along with everyone else are let loose in the liquor store to make purchases. Insane is not the word. So funny.

I don't remember much after we left the party, I know we went to my sisters house until about midnight but things are a bit foggy after that.

Also I am swimming these days.

Edited by BigDH 2013-11-08 4:12 PM
2013-11-09 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: RE: BEER BASH
Originally posted by BigDH

Went to the Beer Bash at the local high end liquor store.

Picture if you will, wandering into the giant well appointed liqour store a bit before 7. The place is large. I didn't know how large. It has this basement with this giant party room about the size of a hockey rink. So you wander down there, grab a glass, and BAM, probably at least 50 tables. Each table had between 5 -10 different beers. Absolutely epic. The beer. Oh the beer. You cannot imagine. Strong beer, weak beer, bacon beer, fruit beer, cider. All of it, for the taking, included in admission ($35).

I have never seen so many happy people at one spot.

2 hours, and conservatively, I don't know, 3-4 litres of beer later, I along with everyone else are let loose in the liquor store to make purchases. Insane is not the word. So funny.

I don't remember much after we left the party, I know we went to my sisters house until about midnight but things are a bit foggy after that.

Also I am swimming these days.

Sign me up that sounds like a blast. I can only imagine the damage you all did when they set you loose in the store afterwards. They're no dummies though...feed beer lovers unlimited beer then make them walk through the store after

Edited by Burd 2013-11-09 1:28 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 70