BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-09-19 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3691348

User image

Regular
Maryland
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
scraver - 2011-09-18 6:46 PM

So - some of you may recall, weeks and weeks ago, I thought it would be a brilliant idea to register for a Half Marathon?  I thought it would be "easy" to throw a little extra running into my training and *poof* go to a HM.  Well, I only ever got up to 8.1 miles as the longest run in my training.  All that running proved to be hard and my neighborhood is VERY hilly.  

So I get online Friday night to read the final info posted about my HM (which was this morning).  Now, all along I knew I could do it, but I was freaking out thinking it would take me about 4 hours.  In the final info, it says there is a 3 hour time limit.  I freaked out.  BUT... I told my self even though I didn't KNOW that I could do it, I also didn't KNOW that I COULDN'T do it.

So, I did it!  I finished in 3 hours and 53 seconds.  I was dead last... but who cares?  I f-ing DID IT!!

I won't be able to walk for the week... and all the skin rubbed off my left heal... BUT I DID IT!!!

That's excellent, Sherri!  Way to go

2011-09-19 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3691348

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
scraver - 2011-09-18 6:46 PM

So - some of you may recall, weeks and weeks ago, I thought it would be a brilliant idea to register for a Half Marathon?  I thought it would be "easy" to throw a little extra running into my training and *poof* go to a HM.  Well, I only ever got up to 8.1 miles as the longest run in my training.  All that running proved to be hard and my neighborhood is VERY hilly.  

So I get online Friday night to read the final info posted about my HM (which was this morning).  Now, all along I knew I could do it, but I was freaking out thinking it would take me about 4 hours.  In the final info, it says there is a 3 hour time limit.  I freaked out.  BUT... I told my self even though I didn't KNOW that I could do it, I also didn't KNOW that I COULDN'T do it.

So, I did it!  I finished in 3 hours and 53 seconds.  I was dead last... but who cares?  I f-ing DID IT!!

I won't be able to walk for the week... and all the skin rubbed off my left heal... BUT I DID IT!!!

Woohoo Sherri! Great Job!  It is an awesome feeling to do something that only a few months ago seemed impossible!

2011-09-20 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Veteran
Georgia
For those in our group that have done a HIM...What did you take on the bike in case of a flat or did you just wing it? I'm riding my tublars so I was debating on what to carry. Also what have you wore in the race..I was going to wear my tri top and tri shorts because there is no changing tent...
2011-09-20 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I wore tri gear for the same reason as you...no where to change.  I don't do tubulars.  They scare me. 
2011-09-20 11:37 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Same as Scott for me as far as what to wear.  I carry a tube, a couple of plastic tire levers a couple of CO2 cartridges and the inflator.  Not sure on a tubular, but I would imagine just replace the tube with the tire.  I am told pre-stretching the spare makes life a little easier too, but I have no experience personally with tubulars. 
2011-09-22 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3693476

User image

Expert

Sorry I haven't checked in for so long.

Tim- I agree with everyone about feeling some water in the wetsuit. I also am much faster in a wetsuit. Almost feels like swimming downhill! I also don't use tubulars. I carry 2 tubes for HIM, but 3 CO2 cartridges in case I mess up one like Chrissie Wellington did at Kona a couple of years ago. I wear my regular tri stuff also. Have you been doing your long rides in tri shorts?

Sherry- Outstanding job on your HM! I am glad I'm not the only one who moos at the cows. I also gobbled at some wild turkeys on my ride this morning.

Finally managed to finish my SOS RR/novel. If you have lots of free time you can click here.

2011-09-22 6:02 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

The foot doc confirmed my case of PF today.  Of course he wanted to immediately put me in orthotics,I said no thank you. It just seems drastic to me to immediately go the orthotics route when stretching, ice and antiimflamitories work as well. Anyone else experience this? - does anyone wear orthotics? BTW cortisone shots hurt!

good news is he said I can run as long as I take it easy - yeah! I am already tired of the elliptical machine at the gym!

2011-09-22 11:21 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Hi All,

In preparation for IMAZ I am trying to figure out how many bottles to carry on my bike. My bike has only a place for one bottle on the frame and I also use an aero bottle. I haven't totally figured out my nutrition on the bike but I plan to eat solid foods as much as possible since consuming only liquids doesn't do it for me and I can't seem to find something that really works for me. I have never tried the Ironman perform or whatever it is (do they even sell that anywhere?) so I might be limited to water replacement as the only form of liquid at the aid stations. I might use some Infinit but if there is a way to stick with solids for the most part and use water with Nuun and salt capules (if needed) that would be the easiet. Does that sound like that will work?  Should I carry more bottles on the bike (I guess a rear mount bottle holder  or something?)  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I know I have jumped around here a bit..   Thanks!

2011-09-23 5:06 AM
in reply to: #3697068

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-09-22 7:02 PM

The foot doc confirmed my case of PF today.  Of course he wanted to immediately put me in orthotics,I said no thank you. It just seems drastic to me to immediately go the orthotics route when stretching, ice and antiimflamitories work as well. Anyone else experience this? - does anyone wear orthotics? BTW cortisone shots hurt!

good news is he said I can run as long as I take it easy - yeah! I am already tired of the elliptical machine at the gym!

No advice on the orthotics, but I agree I wouldn't jump right in.  I know a friend who at first thought he had PF, then it might be a bone spur.  In the end I am not sure he really knows what it was but the cortisone shot has him running mostly pain free for well over a month now.  So that may do it for you too. 
2011-09-23 5:13 AM
in reply to: #3697282

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-09-23 12:21 AM

Hi All,

In preparation for IMAZ I am trying to figure out how many bottles to carry on my bike. My bike has only a place for one bottle on the frame and I also use an aero bottle. I haven't totally figured out my nutrition on the bike but I plan to eat solid foods as much as possible since consuming only liquids doesn't do it for me and I can't seem to find something that really works for me. I have never tried the Ironman perform or whatever it is (do they even sell that anywhere?) so I might be limited to water replacement as the only form of liquid at the aid stations. I might use some Infinit but if there is a way to stick with solids for the most part and use water with Nuun and salt capules (if needed) that would be the easiet. Does that sound like that will work?  Should I carry more bottles on the bike (I guess a rear mount bottle holder  or something?)  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I know I have jumped around here a bit..   Thanks!

I would try the IM Perform, it is from Powerbar and you can order it online from trisports.com as well as others, I would be surprised considering where you live if you couldn't find it locally.  The other option is to add behind the seat bottle holders, I recommend the ones form X-LAB.  Ideally the more you can live off the course the less you have to carry with you.  But to know what will work best, you need to start trying it in your training now as one or 2 rides with a run brick is not enough to now for sure.    Especially the eating of solids.  I can and prefer solid food on long bike rides, but if I don't cut it out quite a bit before getting to T2 I start the run with a heavy feeling in my stomach. 
2011-09-23 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3697328

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kenj - 2011-09-23 5:13 AM
Kath2163 - 2011-09-23 12:21 AM

Hi All,

I would try the IM Perform, it is from Powerbar and you can order it online from trisports.com as well as others, I would be surprised considering where you live if you couldn't find it locally.  The other option is to add behind the seat bottle holders, I recommend the ones form X-LAB.  Ideally the more you can live off the course the less you have to carry with you.  But to know what will work best, you need to start trying it in your training now as one or 2 rides with a run brick is not enough to now for sure.    Especially the eating of solids.  I can and prefer solid food on long bike rides, but if I don't cut it out quite a bit before getting to T2 I start the run with a heavy feeling in my stomach. 

Nutrition over that period of time is such an inexact science I'm learning. Ken is right, try it on the workouts...but the proviso is no workout will take you to the extreme you will be at for so long.  I used Perpetuleum and Enduorlyte power in two bottles, one cold, one frozen at the start and I was still cramping on mile 80 of the ride.   I was drinking 2 to 3 bottles from the course too.  Totally unsure what caused it.  We don't know if 1.  I sweat so much my body can't assimilate enough electrolytes or 2. I drink so much water I wash it out as soon as it goes in.  We are working on it over winter to see if the local university kinesology dept. can help figure it out.  

What helped was salt pills the volunteers found for me on T2...Should have taken my own but I thought I had enough and chicken broth on the run.  About 3 miles from finish, I couldn't force another thing in but water and coke.  

Have fun with the day. It is the most fun I ever had with my clothes on. 

2011-09-23 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3697324

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kenj - 2011-09-23 5:06 AM
robingray_260 - 2011-09-22 7:02 PM

No advice on the orthotics, but I agree I wouldn't jump right in.  I know a friend who at first thought he had PF, then it might be a bone spur.  In the end I am not sure he really knows what it was but the cortisone shot has him running mostly pain free for well over a month now.  So that may do it for you too. 

At the first sign of pain on the underside of my foot, I bought a contraption to wear ata night.  Velcos around my ankle with a place for my heel...tips my foot up.  Seemed to help... A friend was told by a doc to buy socks that do something similar.  They helped him too.

2011-09-23 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Well it is here time for Augusta 70.3.Getting gear together and loading up to make the drive..I'm so excited time to see if the training pays off. Thank You all for your support..My bib # is 1607 if anyone would like to follow on ironmanlive.com..Good Luck to others that are racing this weekend..
2011-09-23 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3697734

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-09-23 11:33 AM Well it is here time for Augusta 70.3.Getting gear together and loading up to make the drive..I'm so excited time to see if the training pays off. Thank You all for your support..My bib # is 1607 if anyone would like to follow on ironmanlive.com..Good Luck to others that are racing this weekend..

Good luck this weekend!  Have a great time and a great race Tim!

I beleive I saw that Keri was racing this weekend too!  Good luck Keri and have fun!

Anyone else racing?
2011-09-23 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3697950

User image

Expert

Robin- I don't know anything about orthotics, so I can't help you there. Sometimes tightness in the calf can lead to achilles problems and PF, and triathletes are known for tight calves. I have found the info at this link helpful in keeping my calves feeling good: http://pinnaclept.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/self-muscle-release-pt-2-the-calf/ . I also know a couple of people who had good luck with the Strassburg Sock, which is like what Ice mentioned.

Good to hear you can get back to running. I would suggest taking it slow and easy, and also try to avoid too many hills at first.

Kathleen- Ken is right on, try the Ironman Perform to see if it works for you. I personally don't like sports drinks while I am riding, but I also don't like drinking plain water during a race which is pretty weird. I do like Nuun, so for HIM's I carry some Nuun tablets in my bento box, take a botttle of water at the aid stations, pour it in my aerodrink, and drop a tablet  in there. The very best though, is if you can "live off the course" like Ken said.

Tim- Have a safe trip, best of luck, and have a fantastic race! You are well prepared and you will do great!

Have a great weekend, everybody!

2011-09-23 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Tim - have a great race and have fun!!!!!

Keri if you are racing this weekend good luck to you too!

I think I have seen the Ironman Perform at my local GNC store. Since it is a chain they may have it near you as well.  Can't help with the rest of your nutrition questions though, except like everyone else has said - start working on it now.

2011-09-23 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I was able to run for the first time in 2 weeks today - yeah! short and slow, but it is a start! Thanks cortisone!

I will check into the socks and ask the doc his advice on those as well.  Basically my PF stems from very tight calfs and extremely high arches. This may be on ongoing problem for me - but keeping the calfs stretched seems the best long term solution even after the PF diminishes.

2011-09-25 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3698126

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
robingray_260 - 2011-09-23 3:46 PM

I was able to run for the first time in 2 weeks today - yeah! short and slow, but it is a start! Thanks cortisone!

I will check into the socks and ask the doc his advice on those as well.  Basically my PF stems from very tight calfs and extremely high arches. This may be on ongoing problem for me - but keeping the calfs stretched seems the best long term solution even after the PF diminishes.

Robin,My feet were bothering me about a month ago and I think it was PF. I replaced my shoe inserts on my bike shoes (my new inserts have better support) and did some aggressive stretching of my feet. I rolled a tennis ball under my feet and it all helped. Right now my feet feel great. Good luck keep us posted.
2011-09-25 4:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Long time no check in...sorry!

Kathleen don't they sell the premixed everywhere even like king soopers or is that something different? You might look there...

Ahh feet issues...I too all the sudden seem to be struggling with issues possibly PF and yes at the same time my calves and my achilles have been bothering me. I also would like to stay away from the orthotics. I'm trying to do better with my stretching and see if that will work. My friend Jill wrote a blog post about this. She's gone through a 2 year hiatus from running due to PF issues and this is what she has learned as she is just now starting to get back to running. http://runwithjill.blogspot.com/2011/08/heel-its-not-foot-problem.h... . You might find it informative as well as the link she provides. I am for sure going to check out that article that Anthony posted.

Tim hoping you had a great race! Looking forward to race report!

2011-09-25 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Hey guys just a quick check in finish my first Half today the 5:39 had a great swim held a 21.0 avg on the bike even with a headwind..run was brutally hot had a 9:30 pace avg the first half then fell to like 12:20 the second half..looking at some of the other times people were losing 2 to 3the min between the first and second halfs..overall an awesome experience will do rr later on the ride home..hope everyone is enjoying their weekend..
2011-09-25 5:25 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Great time on the half!!!

Just curious, where was that on a fun scale of 1-10?

2011-09-26 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3699659

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-09-25 5:52 PM Hey guys just a quick check in finish my first Half today the 5:39 had a great swim held a 21.0 avg on the bike even with a headwind..run was brutally hot had a 9:30 pace avg the first half then fell to like 12:20 the second half..looking at some of the other times people were losing 2 to 3the min between the first and second halfs..overall an awesome experience will do rr later on the ride home..hope everyone is enjoying their weekend..

Great race Tim!! Congrats!

Looking forward to the race report!
2011-09-26 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3699659

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

shake-n-bake - 2011-09-25 4:52 PM Hey guys just a quick check in finish my first Half today the 5:39 had a great swim held a 21.0 avg on the bike even with a headwind..run was brutally hot had a 9:30 pace avg the first half then fell to like 12:20 the second half..looking at some of the other times people were losing 2 to 3the min between the first and second halfs..overall an awesome experience will do rr later on the ride home..hope everyone is enjoying their weekend..

Great result! 

2011-09-26 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Yeah Tim - way to go!  Look forward to the RR!
2011-09-27 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Here is the link to the rr for my 70.3 race..

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=270009

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72