Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-10-13 10:37 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Caught up on messages!

Paying for BT - I, like others, really only use it to keep up with you wonderful people, so likely would not pay for it.
I'm not great at FB, but would work on it for all of you. If there's a similar forum type style we could find, that would be great. I do like that I know how far back to go to catch up when I've been off for a little bit.

Mike - Jealous of your trip! I agree with Andrew, running around a city is such a great way to sightsee. Can't wait to see your photos!

Gretchen - Glad the surgery went well! Crazy the short turnaround before your trip but hopefully you're not impacted by it too much, and great news that you can already feel your fingers!

Nat - Let us know how you like the classes next week! They're definitely good for accountability

Andrew - What off season is right!! lol
For my "off season," I'm mostly PZ training on my Peloton and doing strength right now, though I want to get back out on some runs since I was hoping to do a 5 mile race in December. I should probably just sign up so I don't have an excuse not to. Gonna do that next week (want it on a different cc statement, lol). Put it on my calendar so I don't forget!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

2023-10-13 11:59 AM
in reply to: #5287114

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Nice 30’ walk with my wife and dog today. Had a great surprise this morning at the PT office. Not only do I not have to do PT, but after this weekend I don’t have any real restrictions on activities either…just reduced weights/duration for anything dealing with arms. He said down to about 1/3 of weight for strength training and 1/3 of duration for swims so…just for Mike…a 783ud swim on Monday (with a saniderm covering to keep it dry!). :D

Mike—I’ll be in Rome 12/19-12/23. Hang a round a few weeks and we can hang out!
2023-10-15 4:18 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Good finish for the week with a cruise interval ride on Friday, long run Saturday morning and 3 hour zwift ride Sunday evening.

Add to that a very, very good result for the country in our election, and NZ beating Ireland in the 1/4 final of the rugby world cup. (Amazing game, I know nobody else follows rugby, but if you stumble across a replay somewhere, watch it, the intensity and drama were off the charts)

All and all a very happy weekend.

For the week,

Swim, x1, 1,250m 30min
Bike, x3, (all zwift) 6hr
Run, x3, 2hr 55min
Strength/Mobility, x 1, 15 min

9 hours 25 minutes SBR for the week. Another good one.
2023-10-15 4:24 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen, Glad your surgery went well, hopefully your recovery is equally trouble free. and 783 swim? Now I'm totally sure you're deliberately trolling Mike.

@Nicole. Don't you hate it when work gets in the way of fun. Adulting sucks. Looks like you've been doing well. Sign up for that race. Nothing helps motivation than an entry fee bought and paid for.

@Mike and Nathalie. Hope all is going well.
2023-10-16 3:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Nicole, 2 concerts! lucky you!
Funny, I would not have thought of ZBB as a "teenage" band. Billy Joel and Stevie Nicks sounds like something I would love to hear.
Nice to hear about the minimal boozing.

Andrew, another solid week, it's almost like you are not in off season at all! I kind of follow the rugby and had heard about NZ beating Ireland. Listened to the end of the France-South Africa game last night. My French brother in law was not happy but my South African colleague will be beaming when I talk to him later today.
Talking of sports, my Lakers got thrashed at home at the weekend, have now lost the last 3 games but they'll bounce back.

Mike, hope you are enjoying the pasta!

Good news about no post-op PT Gretchen !

Me, off season is taking a break this week, as I have a strength training class tonight, usual run intervals on Wednesday, spin class on Thursday and 1/4 marathon on Saturday.

2023-10-16 7:41 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, great news! That has to be a huge relief leading up to your trip.

Andrew, yay for your team! I have a friend who follows Rugby and tries to get me into it. I'm bad at watching sports on TV in general, and don't have regular cable anymore, but rugby is a pretty cool sport.
Adulting does suck!

Nat, totally agree about ZBB. Apparently they're trendy now. I get it, b/c they are amazing, but I also am not happy about it lol
Billy and Stevie were awesome. Billy says this is his last tour so my mom and I figured we had to make it happen. Stevie was just a very cool added bonus. She was incredible.

2023-10-16 7:44 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a busy weekend because I had a friend in town. Got a 45 min ride in that morning, then grabbed her from the airport. Did brunch, then I had a very wet football game. It was a little miserable, but we won, so yay. My friend and I went to a comedy show that night, and then ran into my friend who's in a really great cover band, and they were playing that night so we popped in and caught the first 2 sets. Up a bit later than planned, and drank a bit more than planned, but overall a really amazing night.

We were pretty lazy Sunday, though went on a 2 mile walk in the afternoon, and ate pretty well. She left early this morning. I got a 30 min ride in and did a little straightening.
2023-10-16 10:29 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Nat, totally agree about ZBB. Apparently they're trendy now. I get it, b/c they are amazing, but I also am not happy about it lol

I see what you mean, on the one hand, you're happy for them but it was much better when they played small clubs, "just for you"

2023-10-16 10:30 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I see what you mean, on the one hand, you're happy for them but it was much better when they played small clubs, "just for you"

2023-10-17 3:37 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by Rollergirl

(..), as I have a strength training class tonight (...)

Something happened and I didn't go.

What happened? you may ask

I didn't want to go, that's what happened

So instead I paid $47 for one year access to a media bank of strength and mobility workouts. Did one 25 minutes whole body routine last night which felt really easy (even though I wore a weighted vest) but I am aching a little this morning so I guess it was useful.

Plan is to do at least 2 a week.

2023-10-17 7:17 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

So instead I paid $47 for one year access to a media bank of strength and mobility workouts. Did one 25 minutes whole body routine last night which felt really easy (even though I wore a weighted vest) but I am aching a little this morning so I guess it was useful.

This made me lol. I totally get it! I mostly do Peloton workouts now b/c it takes leaving the house out of the equation and reduces my excuses
If you ever want to try Peloton classes, I can have up to 12 people on my account and you can just pull classes up on a tablet or something. Let me know and I can make you an account!

2023-10-17 7:36 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Did a 20 minute upper body workout followed by 10 minutes of core. Have a busy day at work, but also in need of some yoga, so gonna try to stretch at one point.
2023-10-17 7:47 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

This made me lol. I totally get it! I mostly do Peloton workouts now b/c it takes leaving the house out of the equation and reduces my excuses
If you ever want to try Peloton classes, I can have up to 12 people on my account and you can just pull classes up on a tablet or something. Let me know and I can make you an account!

thanks for the offer but I'm good now
2023-10-17 10:26 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I cannot tell you how much I relate to this sometimes.
2023-10-17 10:32 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I got up and did a nice 2.5 mile run in the chilly (38F/3C) morning darkness. That first run in the fall where it is colder than you expected is always a bit of a laugh. I have no idea where any of my cold weather running gear is, if any of it even still fits/exists. So I was grabbing things randomly last night and came up with a pair of running tights, a long sleeved tech shirt I bought randomly while in Michigan last month and have never worn, and gloves I bought last year but then my wife used for gardening (I have no idea why). The piece de resistance was that I ended up wearing a pair of tri shorts over the top of my running tights because the tights are a couple sizes too big and don't have a drawstring. Thus, when I was walking around the house before my run, they kept sliding down a bit. Knowing that what slides while walking falls while running...I adjusted on the fly. Throw on a pair of tri shorts over the top of the running tights...it might not be fashionable, but it was functional! And hey...it is dark out...and also...I do not care one bit what people think of my outfit.

Anyway, easy run to try to get back into things post surgery (yes, it was approved by the doctor). Overall, I'm happy with how the surgery and my recovery has gone, although I could do with the swelling disappearing any time now. My left arm and hand are about 50% larger than my right arm and hand...it is weird to look at.
2023-10-17 6:30 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I feel the same way about going to the gym. Totally get it.

Good luck with the at home S&M stuff. 2 a week sounds achievable

2023-10-17 6:35 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove
  • it might not be fashionable, but it was functional! And hey...it is dark out...and also...I do not care one bit what people think of my outfit.

• We participate in a sport where we all wear skin tight spandex, which lets be honest is not flattering for anyone with more than about 1% body fat.

Functional over fashionable is a part of the game.

Nice work getting it done despite not finding the gear you were looking for.
    2023-10-17 6:38 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    1st workout of the week was 60min on the treadmill with 4x8min cruise intervals. It felt good, I do feel I am starting to build a bit of fitness. Long way to still go of course.

This mornings swim 'something happened' it wasn't that I didn't want to go, but I did set my alarm for the wrong time and woke up too late to get to the pool and back before the breakfast routine. Honestly, if I could swim from home I would be a much better triathlete.
    2023-10-18 9:10 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    So...I did a thing this morning. I signed up for the Illinois Marathon (April 27, 2024). I am not a runner by nature, but I want to get faster this off season, so I put my money where my mouth is and paid the fee. I also bought a training plan on TP, so here's hoping that by the time April rolls around, I'm a stronger runner!

Truth be told, I need something on the calendar to keep my motivation up and give me the structure of planned workouts. This free form training I've been doing for the last couple of months just doesn't work for me. The plan I bought was 18 weeks, so I duplicated the first several weeks and now have a full training schedule to the race date. After I get back from Egypt/Italy, I'll add in swimming and biking to get back to a full training schedule, but for now I'm going to enjoy the simplicity of running and strength training.
    2023-10-18 9:13 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
    Originally posted by drfoodlove

So...I did a thing this morning. I signed up for the Illinois Marathon (April 27, 2024). I am not a runner by nature, but I want to get faster this off season, so I put my money where my mouth is and paid the fee. I also bought a training plan on TP, so here's hoping that by the time April rolls around, I'm a stronger runner!

Truth be told, I need something on the calendar to keep my motivation up and give me the structure of planned workouts. This free form training I've been doing for the last couple of months just doesn't work for me. The plan I bought was 18 weeks, so I duplicated the first several weeks and now have a full training schedule to the race date. After I get back from Egypt/Italy, I'll add in swimming and biking to get back to a full training schedule, but for now I'm going to enjoy the simplicity of running and strength training.

Yes, same here, this is why I am farting around right now, no races until next spring. Other than my 1/4 marathon on Saturday that is. Maybe I should find other runs to enter this winter.

2023-10-18 9:55 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
    Originally posted by bulfrog

I feel the same way about going to the gym. Totally get it.

Good luck with the at home S&M stuff. 2 a week sounds achievable

and the pool, can't stand the thing.

trying another strength class thingie in a couple of weeks which a co-worker recommended and attends, may be more fun with someone I know there.

wish me luck.

2023-10-18 9:57 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
    Originally posted by bulfrog

1st workout of the week was 60min on the treadmill with 4x8min cruise intervals. It felt good, I do feel I am starting to build a bit of fitness. Long way to still go of course.

This mornings swim 'something happened' it wasn't that I didn't want to go, but I did set my alarm for the wrong time and woke up too late to get to the pool and back before the breakfast routine. Honestly, if I could swim from home I would be a much better triathlete.

I can relate to that too.

great that youcan feel you are buiding fitness!
    2023-10-18 10:00 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Got in a 30 minute PZ ride this morning. I'm waking up early but staying in bed for awhile. I know Nashville next week will throw me off my schedule again, but I want to be better about just getting out of bed when my alarm goes off. I'm brainstorming different things, including putting my phone across the room. I just could have done so much more than just a 30 minute ride this morning.
    2023-10-18 10:19 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Got in a 30 minute PZ ride this morning. I'm waking up early but staying in bed for awhile. I know Nashville next week will throw me off my schedule again, but I want to be better about just getting out of bed when my alarm goes off. I'm brainstorming different things, including putting my phone across the room. I just could have done so much more than just a 30 minute ride this morning.

Yes, getting up in the morning is hard. I have solved that problem by not setting up an alarm. I wake up when I wake up. Usually on time for work but it means that I can't work out in the morning.

2023-10-18 3:09 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    @ Gretchen. Yay for your marathon entry. I'm exactly the same, a race booked and paid for on the horizon does wonders for my training and consistency. And I think a run focus while your travelling will make life so much easier for you. Other than dodging Egyptian traffic of course. But it has to be easier to manage than a bike/trainer/finding a pool etc.

@Nathalie. Yup, pool is the same for me. I don't mind the swimming, it's getting to and from that is the problem. One day I'll have an endless pool in the back yard... One day.

@Nicole. Early mornings are a problem for me too, like most of us I think. Before breakfast workouts would fit better with family life but too often they don't happen. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy though: Didn't get up early so I'll do the workout at night, which means I go to bed later which means it's harder to get up early the next morning... and repeat.

Me. Wednesday evening was 90 minutes easy riding on zwift.
    New Thread
    Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
    Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland