BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-06-29 5:22 PM
in reply to: #1088860

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS

Greg-- Congrats on the job!!!  That is huge and you should feel very good about it!

Okay folks... I really need your help!!  As you might or might not know I started a fulltime job at a non-profit so I am now working 40 hours a week from 7:30 to 3:30.  My HIM is in three weeks from today.  I have one hard training week left and then two tapers weeks.  I am not doing well getting in my workouts... but I have dedicated 6 months of my life to training for this race and need to finish strong.  So I am asking all my BT friends, that you make sure to bug me endlessly this week and for the next few weeks to make sure I get in my training.  Tonight I buy my wetsuit (a birthday present from my parents) and tomorrow I go hardcore all the way!! 

2008-06-29 8:35 PM
in reply to: #1497514

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Pam, as the proud and supportive father to two daughters... I will pester you more than I pester them.... Now, make us all proud and go and kick some A$$!
2008-06-30 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1497791

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Hello everyone, I am in my usual spot, stuck in an airport with a plane delay... This time to While Planes NY.  I am the keynote speaker at our International Development Conference so it would be a drag if I never got out....  Or, maybe the participants would like to be spared my program... who knows...

I hope you all had a good weekend, I got in one good run early on Saturday, volunteered at an Olympic Tri on Sunday, went to a weeding, took my 87 year old mom to dinner and worked on my presentation... beyond that, I have no idea where all the time went...

Back again later if the plane is delayed again... EK

2008-06-30 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1497026

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
mman - 2008-06-29 6:59 AM

Hey everyone. Here's a quick update from Texas:

I got the job! We negotiated a deal on Friday morning and I accepted Friday evening. They still have to do background checks, physicals, etc. but I don't see any issues there. No poppyseed muffins for me! ;-)

I have been trying to get some exercise. Walks and rides mainly, but the occasional day in the pool too. Scheduling has been tough. And, keeping my HR at 130 is hard (and boring). After further talks with my doc, my heart output maxes out at 130, so I'm anerobic at everything above that. My muscles need oxygen. My heart is trying to give it. But my right ventricle limits what my heart can do. Very unusual case. I'm sure there are others that have something similar due to similar birth defects, but they aren't trying to do endurance sports. Wimps! ;-)

Stef is continuing to decline. She looks tired all the time and is losing weight. Her pain is still well managed, so that's a good thing. And, the pain meds could be part of why she is so tired. She continues to be active. This weekend is Allstars for swimming. Two of my kids qualified. One swam yesterday and one swims today. She was there yesterday and will be again today. She's like the energizer bunny...though is slowing down.

I'm trying to keep up with everyone but frankly am not doing a great job of it right now. I think about you all the time and wish my life were allowing me to be more of a triathlete and less of everything else, but that's the breaks right now.

Gotta go get the kids fed, everyone ready and off to the swim meet.

Greg 

CONGRATS GREG!!!!!!! I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo very happy that you got the offer! YAY YAY YAY!!! As for Stef...I will continue to pray for her! hoping that she goes thru NOOOOO pain! but will pray that it is minimal if she does have any! Take care and keep that chin up! Ride your bike and get those endorphines going! but you listen to the doctor....your kids are definitely wanting you to listen....

CONGRATS AGAIN! keep us posted and do not worry about us....we will be here when you stop in again! have a great summer...I am still planning on coming your way in September. See you then! LOVE AND KISSES TO STEPH! and yourself! xoxoxo Jules

2008-06-30 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1497514

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
crea0029 - 2008-06-29 3:22 PM

Greg-- Congrats on the job!!!  That is huge and you should feel very good about it!

Okay folks... I really need your help!!  As you might or might not know I started a fulltime job at a non-profit so I am now working 40 hours a week from 7:30 to 3:30.  My HIM is in three weeks from today.  I have one hard training week left and then two tapers weeks.  I am not doing well getting in my workouts... but I have dedicated 6 months of my life to training for this race and need to finish strong.  So I am asking all my BT friends, that you make sure to bug me endlessly this week and for the next few weeks to make sure I get in my training.  Tonight I buy my wetsuit (a birthday present from my parents) and tomorrow I go hardcore all the way!! 

Goooo get em Pam.....early birthday wetsuit, eh? when is you bday? and as for keeping you focused. I will be away from my computer for the next few weeks...I am going to Colorado for a family reunion.....as of tomorrow I will not have computer access for almost two weeks....so, I will be sending you lots of mental vibes....do you feel them yet???? hope you have a great race....I will be getting back the weekend you race....so go get em TIGER! and do not let your work stop you from training, m-kay?

2008-06-30 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1498763

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
etknowles - 2008-06-30 8:47 AM

Hello everyone, I am in my usual spot, stuck in an airport with a plane delay... This time to While Planes NY.  I am the keynote speaker at our International Development Conference so it would be a drag if I never got out....  Or, maybe the participants would like to be spared my program... who knows...

I hope you all had a good weekend, I got in one good run early on Saturday, volunteered at an Olympic Tri on Sunday, went to a weeding, took my 87 year old mom to dinner and worked on my presentation... beyond that, I have no idea where all the time went...

Back again later if the plane is delayed again... EK

Good luck on your flight Emerson! I am sure that they are on the edge of thier seats at that conference....with anticipation as to what you will be bringing to the table! Have a great conference and safe travels. Have a great week! Be back to check on you all in two weeks....til then....KEEP ON KEEPING ON! and train well kids!

2008-07-01 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Pam-you'll do great.  It sounds like your main goal for this first HIM is survival.  On race day, just focus on YOUR plan.  Think about those long slow distance days on either the bike or run. Remember how you kept your heart rate low(er) and felt like you were hardly working?  That's the way you want to do this race.  If you're a zone person, I'd stay in zone 2/3 especially thru the end of the bike. After that, you just have to feel out where your body is and what's left.  Whether you finish in 5 hrs or 8 hrs, you'll still have completed a FREAKIN' HALFIRONMAN once you cross that finish line. How many people do you know (besides all of us freaks here at BT!! ) that can say that?  Just make sure that you've thought about your nutrition plan and also think about a backup plan if your stomach decides not to like Plan A on race day.  I had 3 different choices of nutrition on the bike.  I found out that shotblocks and gels are fine during that length and intensity but my body wasn't so fond of a powerbar.  On the run, I brought my own gels because my stomach doesn't like the ones provided by the race.  Makes for more to lug along but no stomach issues.

We'll keep harassing you....but you'll be ready!

2008-07-01 9:20 PM
in reply to: #1501576

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
medic0020 - 2008-07-01 10:22 AM

Pam-you'll do great. It sounds like your main goal for this first HIM is survival. On race day, just focus on YOUR plan. Think about those long slow distance days on either the bike or run. Remember how you kept your heart rate low(er) and felt like you were hardly working? That's the way you want to do this race. If you're a zone person, I'd stay in zone 2/3 especially thru the end of the bike. After that, you just have to feel out where your body is and what's left. Whether you finish in 5 hrs or 8 hrs, you'll still have completed a FREAKIN' HALFIRONMAN once you cross that finish line. How many people do you know (besides all of us freaks here at BT!! ) that can say that? Just make sure that you've thought about your nutrition plan and also think about a backup plan if your stomach decides not to like Plan A on race day. I had 3 different choices of nutrition on the bike. I found out that shotblocks and gels are fine during that length and intensity but my body wasn't so fond of a powerbar. On the run, I brought my own gels because my stomach doesn't like the ones provided by the race. Makes for more to lug along but no stomach issues.

We'll keep harassing you....but you'll be ready!

Thanks everyone for your support!!  I know I just need to calm down.  As long as my ride is good... I did the numbers and can survive through it beating the time cutoff by  walking 15 minute miles if it comes down to it.  I know it won't but that is surprisingly reassuring.  My wetsuit is on the way.  My parents bought it for me even though my birthday isn't till September, so I look forward to working my way into that.

Thanks for the note about finishing Eric.  I know sometimes I forget that triathletes whether short or long distances are a breed of our own... that is an accomplishment right there.  But yes... I don't think the hugeness of a half Ironman kicks in till you are doing it or you look back and go... OMG, what did I just do?!?

Keep up the hard work everyone... I am really proud to call you all my friends!! 

2008-07-02 12:18 AM
in reply to: #1503069

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Quick note to let everyone know that Cat is organizing the Tour de France (TdF) biking challenge again this year! Should be lots of fun.

Here's a link, if you're interested:
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

I'll post more tomorrow, but it's 1:15 AM here, and I really should get some sleep!

2008-07-02 7:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry so shy lately... I hope this finds everyone well and happy.

Jules - Bye, Bye and see you on the flip flop... I guess we will all have time to catch up in the fall. life is really busy.

Emerson - I hope you have broken out of the airport detaining center by now...ha Look forward to seeing you at the IMKY.

Pammy - you are so strong minded and disciplined you will have "no" problem with the HIM, your body is ready just let it do it's thing, you have trained for it, it will remember...

Greg - I'm so glad you got the job and I hope it takes some of the current pressure off of you, your are a super Dad and Husband.

Eric - thanks for managing some inspires when your busy with your own training/life.

Dee - my dear gonna get a bike friend....I had another BT friend Breezy tell me about the challenge and she would like me to join her team, if I'm gone a week without a bike can I still do it???

As for me work it good and busy, training is intense and great with the Y Tri training group, we (me and husband) have put our house on the market and made an offer on another one and we are hoping it works out, it has a pool and a lake and has 7 acres for me to run on, not that thats the driving force to buy it, but it makes it very attractive.

I haven't got to play catch up with everyones blogs but will try before we leave to Florida Sat, we will be gone a week so I'm like Jules and will have no computer, that is good sometimes, but I will miss everyone here.

Have a wonderful day!
Love from Indiana
Amy
2008-07-02 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1503503

User image

Champion
Taser-World
amy mutz - 2008-07-02 8:07 AM

Dee - my dear gonna get a bike friend....I had another BT friend Breezy tell me about the challenge and she would like me to join her team, if I'm gone a week without a bike can I still do it???

As for me work it good and busy, training is intense and great with the Y Tri training group, we (me and husband) have put our house on the market and made an offer on another one and we are hoping it works out, it has a pool and a lake and has 7 acres for me to run on, not that thats the driving force to buy it, but it makes it very attractive.

I haven't got to play catch up with everyones blogs but will try before we leave to Florida Sat, we will be gone a week so I'm like Jules and will have no computer, that is good sometimes, but I will miss everyone here.

Have a wonderful day!
Love from Indiana
Amy

Cat is running the TdF Challenge, so she gets to set the rules. That said, I don't think it'll be a problem. When you sign up, you declare two things: The number of stages (days) that you plan on doing, and the time or distance that you're going to do.... So if you're going to be without a bike for a week, you'd just leave that time off. Also, since it's the TdF challenge, it runs from July 5-27.

And no, I don't have a bike yet.

Good luck with the house sale! And a POOL AND SEVEN ACRES?????? Oh, I am SO jealous!!!!

Have a great time in Florida, if I don't "talk" to you before then!

2008-07-04 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

I hope you all have a great 4th.  I celebrated today with a 5k and then a 17 mile bike.  Tonight, I'll be off babysitting the drunken idiots at our uptown celebration.  Two years ago, they basically had to call out the troops, I'm talking tear gas and several hundred arrests.  Hopefully, it will be a little more calm tonight.

2008-07-04 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1508436

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
medic0020 - 2008-07-04 2:15 PM

I hope you all have a great 4th. I celebrated today with a 5k and then a 17 mile bike. Tonight, I'll be off babysitting the drunken idiots at our uptown celebration. Two years ago, they basically had to call out the troops, I'm talking tear gas and several hundred arrests. Hopefully, it will be a little more calm tonight.

I celebrated with a 30 minute bike and 2 hour run during my first paid day off of work.  Never knew how nice that was until I filled out my time sheet

Eric... wow... hope your night is a bit calmer.  I'll keep my fingers crossed! 

2008-07-05 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1508802

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Here's a summary of how I'll be spending all my free time for the next three weeks:

Edited by D001 2008-07-05 12:06 PM
2008-07-05 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Just spent the last 3 hrs watching the Tour myself!  Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
2008-07-06 1:19 AM
in reply to: #1509412

User image

Champion
Taser-World
medic0020 - 2008-07-05 3:01 PM

Just spent the last 3 hrs watching the Tour myself! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

And when I'm not watching the TdF, I'm watching the Olympic Trials for SWIMMING!

Wow, they move FAST!

2008-07-06 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Over the last few years, I found myself getting disgusted with all the positive drug tests and had pretty much written off the tour.  This year, I find myself much more involved with it.  I'm hoping that Teams like Columbia and Garmin really are turning this around and racing clean.  Of course, it also helps  that I've been watching while riding on the trainer.  Makes it even more interesting that way.
2008-07-06 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

double post. also in depression thread but still very sincere:

Hey everyone.

Just a quick update and asking for thoughts, prayers, vibes, whatever. I brought my wife to the ER on Friday. They admitted her to the hospital and ran tests. The cancer has taken over, despite being on chemo. they are stopping treatment and sending her to hospice. we don't know if she has 2 days or 2 months, but its not long. the doctor said she might make it 2 months but that was being very generous. my gut says 1-2 weeks. she told me on Thursday that she thought she was dying. She never complains and said her fatigue is a 10 and pain is a 7 (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being worst). they are hoping I can take her home 1 more time but no guarantees. she wants to die in a hospice or hospital - not at home.

yesterday (when we found out) i had  meltdown, but regained composure pretty quickly. now i'm numb. i stayed with friends near the hospital last night. my kids are with other friends. i haven't told them yet. we are waiting to talk to a social worker and our pastor today for advice (just me or both of us, neutral location, etc.).

lots of hard days ahead. the support that i receive through bt has been phenomenal. thank you!

2008-07-06 2:00 PM
in reply to: #1510353

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
mman - 2008-07-06 1:26 PM

Hey everyone.

Just a quick update and asking for thoughts, prayers, vibes, whatever. I brought my wife to the ER on Friday. They admitted her to the hospital and ran tests. The cancer has taken over, despite being on chemo. they are stopping treatment and sending her to hospice. we don't know if she has 2 days or 2 months, but its not long. the doctor said she might make it 2 months but that was being very generous. my gut says 1-2 weeks. she told me on Thursday that she thought she was dying. She never complains and said her fatigue is a 10 and pain is a 7 (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being worst). they are hoping I can take her home 1 more time but no guarantees. she wants to die in a hospice or hospital - not at home.

yesterday (when we found out) i had meltdown, but regained composure pretty quickly. now i'm numb. i stayed with friends near the hospital last night. my kids are with other friends. i haven't told them yet. we are waiting to talk to a social worker and our pastor today for advice (just me or both of us, neutral location, etc.).

lots of hard days ahead. the support that i receive through bt has been phenomenal. thank you!

Greg,

Just like always... my thoughts, prayers and heart is with your family and you during this time.  The one thing you can know for certain is this group of people will be here for you if you need anything big or small.  Please keep us updated and we will be sending our wishes your way!

2008-07-06 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Greg, I'm so sorry to hear about Stef's condition.  I know we are all spread around the country but please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.  We'll definitely be praying for all of you. 
2008-07-06 6:16 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
I'm officially a phantom racer for "The Stef" now.  I can't be there in person but wanted to be involved.

2008-07-06 8:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
mman - 2008-07-06 2:26 PM

Hey everyone.

Just a quick update and asking for thoughts, prayers, vibes, whatever. I brought my wife to the ER on Friday. They admitted her to the hospital and ran tests. The cancer has taken over, despite being on chemo. they are stopping treatment and sending her to hospice. we don't know if she has 2 days or 2 months, but its not long. the doctor said she might make it 2 months but that was being very generous. my gut says 1-2 weeks. she told me on Thursday that she thought she was dying. She never complains and said her fatigue is a 10 and pain is a 7 (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being worst). they are hoping I can take her home 1 more time but no guarantees. she wants to die in a hospice or hospital - not at home.

yesterday (when we found out) i had  meltdown, but regained composure pretty quickly. now I'm numb. i stayed with friends near the hospital last night. my kids are with other friends. i haven't told them yet. we are waiting to talk to a social worker and our pastor today for advice (just me or both of us, neutral location, etc.).

My dear friend,

The sword that has hung on a thread over your family for all these years is now upon you with threads unraveling before your very eyes.  I cannot expect to know the pressure you feel today, but I do know the stress of the uncertainty.  For five years, three months and six days, I have lived not knowing if Peg would greet me in the morning with a smile or the silence of a soul moved on.  I have pondered who I need to be -- more importantly -- who I want to be in the face of the fate that God has thrust upon me.  After five years of living with uncertainty each and every day, there are a few things I have learned that I wish to share with you in your most challenging hour.  I pray they can offer something for you in a day I can only imagine.

1)  If you think you can go it alone, you can't!  Reach out, then reach out again.  We are all here for you and want to help, we just need to be let in.

2)  You cannot manage or know what your future holds, you can only be your best in it.

3)  You cannot be the man you want to be for Stef, your children, your family and the future that you and those you love deserve unless you take care of yourself first!  Do not skip that ride, that walk, that moment to collect yourself at the expense of your sanity.  Put your oxygen mask on first, then tend to everyone else.  That is not being selfish, that is doing what needs to be done.  That is the meaning of true love.

Souls are only rented.  God placed each of us on this earth for a time, a time that is decided by a fate beyond our control.  We are born into this life in the miracle of birth and the joy to our parents.  We are then born into the next in the miracle of birth into the everlasting life in the peace of God.  We morn at our loss and we should, but we also should never forget the gift of the life and love that we shared and is still all around us to relish until we are called home.  For you, it is another day.  There are some kids who will look to you for guidance, love and assurance that tomorrow is another day worth living.  And my friend, it is. 

You and I have lived with the knowledge that one we love will be lost to us one day.  You will walk that path first.  My prayers are with you, my heart is with you and I -- as so many of your BT friends are -- will be here through it all.

Take care of yourself my friend, God will never hand you a challenge you cannot handle, no matter how tested you feel today.

Please drop us a note as you can from time to time so we can share your challenge and be there for you.

In our prayers,

Emerson

2008-07-07 7:42 PM
in reply to: #1510754

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Good evening everyone, it is nice and toasty here in the Ohio River Valley.  I ran today and thought I was running in a Pizza Oven. 

Pam, how is your work coming?  I hope the wet suit fits!  Also, what is with the cheese?

Eric, thanks for the inspires, you are good to still mentor us LONG after your term should be up.

Amy M., looking forward to meeting you at IMKY.  A bunch of other BT folks will be there.  I plan to do a duathlon in Buck Creek the weekend before.  Think about it???

Julie, I have not seen one of your happy posts since 6/30, I hope you are OK...

Dee, over 10,000 posts.... you are amazing.  How is the Tour going.  I assume it must be on cable.  I will look for it tonight.

Greg, in my prayers... you take care of yourself.  That is the most important and keep up posted.

I had a great plan to energize us all but it turned into a melt down... I will explain in a later post after I figure out plan B... Got to get back to work.  Emerson

2008-07-07 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1513151

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Greg - I am sorry to hear about Stef.

Pam - I am finally getting used to seeing your whole team with identical cheese avatars. I've learned to check the NAME, not just the avatar photo. LOL

Eric - Speaking of avatars, I see you still have your PEEP show.

Amy M - How's the house selling going? Hope you had a GREAT time in Florida!

Julie - I wonder how your vacation is going! And I wonder how you're managing without computer access!

Emerson - The plan to energize us turned into a melt down? Hm, I live too close to a nuclear power plant to want to hear those words! And yes - the Tour is on cable -- Versus TV has been carrying it.

So what did you all think of Dara Torres? Talk about amazing swims!

2008-07-07 10:22 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
mman - 2008-07-06 11:26 AM

Hey everyone.

Just a quick update and asking for thoughts, prayers, vibes, whatever. I brought my wife to the ER on Friday. They admitted her to the hospital and ran tests. The cancer has taken over, despite being on chemo. they are stopping treatment and sending her to hospice. we don't know if she has 2 days or 2 months, but its not long. the doctor said she might make it 2 months but that was being very generous. my gut says 1-2 weeks. she told me on Thursday that she thought she was dying. She never complains and said her fatigue is a 10 and pain is a 7 (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being worst). they are hoping I can take her home 1 more time but no guarantees. she wants to die in a hospice or hospital - not at home.

yesterday (when we found out) i had meltdown, but regained composure pretty quickly. now i'm numb. i stayed with friends near the hospital last night. my kids are with other friends. i haven't told them yet. we are waiting to talk to a social worker and our pastor today for advice (just me or both of us, neutral location, etc.).

I'm sorry to crash this group...

I am truly sorry for your wife and family. Cancer sucks.  I hope that your family does as well as possible in this difficult situation.    

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  

of 73