Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2011-01-17 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3303778

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
mighty mom - 2011-01-17 6:54 AM Great job Glen!

I hope people are not getting too tired of my questions, but I have another.  What do people think about buying new versus used bikes?

My 23 yo road bike does not fit me.  The top tube is way too short and even with a very long stem it's just not comfy.  It also needs work.  I got a bike fit done and know what bikes I'm looking at.  I can buy new for b/w $2k-2500 or I found a 2007 used cervelo P2c with the correct dimensions for $1100.  I'm torn.  Do I buy used b/c I'm still very new to the sport and beyond my goal of doing an IM before I turn the big 4-0 I have no idea how much I'll ride, or go new b/c you never really know about the condition of the used bikes and yI'll be able to recoup $ if something happens and I decide to sell. 

I did a serach and sounds like most of BT says used.  I'm also leaning that wasy as we're in the market to buy a home so retaining as much $ for our downpayment is important (but I also get in the grand scheme of things $1k-1500 isn't going ot help much on that but it could pay for our move). TIA.

I'm all for whichever you're comfortable with.  It's always nice to have a new bike because it's YOURS, and that's a really good feeling.  BUT, I also love the idea of buying a used bike for a good deal.  Since you seem to know all the details pretty well though, I think used is an excellent idea for you.  When I was a beginner, we looked at tons of used bikes to make sure that I would stick with it.  We finally bought a new bike at a good price, and now I'm kind of upset we did because I'm already itching to get a better bike.  I don't think I would feel as bad about wanting a new bike if I didn't already have a new bike! 

Any Cervelo will treat you well, so if you like it, GO FOR IT!  I agree that spending money on a bike is a good example for the kids, and if it's your money, you deserve it!  Don't sell yourself short.  Pull the trigger, and have a ton of fun on it!

2011-01-17 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3303688

User image

tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-17 1:43 AM

I'm paying for not staying wired in while working in NY this past week... this MG has more feeds than twitter!

John - Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you had a great one.

Glen - awesome job on the race and setting a PR! Keep it up!

Too many other posts to catch up on... Back to reality as of today.  18hr flight home, 2 hrs of sleep, landed @ 6am & reported to work @ 10am. I did get in a 30min swim over lunch. woohoo!  delirium is setting in.

I bet! I hope you've gotten some rest by now! 
2011-01-17 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3303961

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
dalessit - 2011-01-17 9:03 AM

Ugh it's amazing how every team I rooted for lost this weekend.

Tony, if this is true then please ... Repeat after me ...

"GO BEARS!  GO BEARS!  GO BEARS!"  

Thanks, good karma never hurts! (sorry Erica....we are with Ryan on this one!)  Laughing
2011-01-17 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
This will put a smile on your face for a Monday morning. (work friendly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o71KV80jh8
2011-01-17 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3304047

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
badgerintx - 2011-01-17 9:54 AM

Thanks, good karma never hurts! (sorry Erica....we are with Ryan on this one!)  Laughing

Booooo.....

Though it's funny.  At the beginning of the season, I swore that the road to the Super Bowl certainly did NOT go through an NFC North team.  Admit it, we all looked awful at the beginning of the season!  Now, I'm eating my words.

Oh yeah, GO BEARS!!!
2011-01-17 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3304032

User image

Veteran
New York
gotta run - 2011-01-17 11:43 PM
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-17 1:43 AM

delirium is setting in.

I bet! I hope you've gotten some rest by now! 

x50 right now! still working & it's midnight!!!! On a conference call with NY, but writing to my MG'ers instead!!

2011-01-17 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3304047

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Are you kidding me?  I'm not sure we can be friends.

Wait, I'm confused.  Does this mean you want Tony to root for the Bears because he always picks the losers.....in which case, we're still buds.

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-01-17 11:21 AM
2011-01-17 11:18 AM
in reply to: #3304064

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
tahrens - 2011-01-17 10:59 AM This will put a smile on your face for a Monday morning. (work friendly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o71KV80jh8

Hilarious!  "Don't (mess) up my beer, man" 

2011-01-17 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
OK I have a question for those out there that wear contacts, when racing do you swim with them in? I don't know what to do? a pool swim is fine with no contacts but OWS I wont be able to see in the distance to well to identify buoys and such?
2011-01-17 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3304244

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
GrapeJuice - 2011-01-17 12:24 PM OK I have a question for those out there that wear contacts, when racing do you swim with them in? I don't know what to do? a pool swim is fine with no contacts but OWS I wont be able to see in the distance to well to identify buoys and such?

I don't wear them so I can only offer outside opinions, but what is the danger of wearing them with the goggles?  Do you frequently have your goggles fill with water so you are in danger of loosing them? Don't they make perscription goggles?  I do know that ows tri's provide glasses tables as you exit the water if you want to race with your glasses on. 
2011-01-17 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I'll follow with a question of my own.  Chamois cream, who uses it and what brand?   Ladies particularly, do you use any chamois cream?  Why or why not?    I can't decide if chamois cream really helps or not. I developed nasty saddle sores at the end of last season and I don't know if it was attributed to the saddle fit or not - therefore I don't know if chamois cream really does me any good.  Although, Assos cream does provide a nice tingling sensation.......but I digress.

2011-01-17 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
GrapeJuice - 2011-01-17 11:24 AM OK I have a question for those out there that wear contacts, when racing do you swim with them in? I don't know what to do? a pool swim is fine with no contacts but OWS I wont be able to see in the distance to well to identify buoys and such?

I don't wear them, but Ryan does.  He always uses his for OWS or pool swims.  As a matter of fact, he hardly ever wears glasses!  He seems to do just fine with them in for his swims though!
2011-01-17 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3304340

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
tahrens - 2011-01-17 11:59 AM I'll follow with a question of my own.  Chamois cream, who uses it and what brand?   Ladies particularly, do you use any chamois cream?  Why or why not?    I can't decide if chamois cream really helps or not. I developed nasty saddle sores at the end of last season and I don't know if it was attributed to the saddle fit or not - therefore I don't know if chamois cream really does me any good.  Although, Assos cream does provide a nice tingling sensation.......but I digress.

I honestly don't even know what it's for!
2011-01-17 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
GrapeJuice - 2011-01-17 12:24 PM OK I have a question for those out there that wear contacts, when racing do you swim with them in? I don't know what to do? a pool swim is fine with no contacts but OWS I wont be able to see in the distance to well to identify buoys and such?

I wear contacts all the time, even for OWS.  Never had a problem with them when water getting into goggles.  They'll feel a little dry but your eyes will fix it (normaly).

2011-01-17 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3304169

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
SSMinnow - 2011-01-17 10:53 AM

Wait, I'm confused.  Does this mean you want Tony to root for the Bears because he always picks the losers.....in which case, we're still buds.

Ok Suzy...I know that its Monday and all....but really... follow along!  Yes, I want Tony to root for the Bears because he says every team he roots for loses.  That would mean that if he roots for the bears, the Packers would win.......Which they will anyway!!!   

FWIW, my family (Mom, Bro & Sis) holds 4 season tickets for the Pack (Green package) and as you know, the waiting list is like 80+ years for season tickets.  So, if anybody in the MG has the dream of going to Lambeau, let me know early in the season! (except, we don't sell our tickets to any bears (sorry Erica) or viqueen fans!  Family rules!)

2011-01-17 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3304372

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
SoccerGK - 2011-01-17 1:09 PM
tahrens - 2011-01-17 11:59 AM I'll follow with a question of my own.  Chamois cream, who uses it and what brand?   Ladies particularly, do you use any chamois cream?  Why or why not?    I can't decide if chamois cream really helps or not. I developed nasty saddle sores at the end of last season and I don't know if it was attributed to the saddle fit or not - therefore I don't know if chamois cream really does me any good.  Although, Assos cream does provide a nice tingling sensation.......but I digress.

I honestly don't even know what it's for!

Basically it is a cream you can apply either directly to your skin or on the chamois of your bike shorts (or both) to prevent chaffing and help against infection.  However, Dave Zabriske's DZ-NUTS website says it much better than I do.  PLUS he gives a video of how to apply!  

Ladies you have spoken and dznuts has answered. This elegant pro grade chamois cream for women provides the comfort and lubricious saddle glide required for top level training and racing. It is scientifically formulated for women's sensitive skin. (4oz. tube)

anti-bacterial: pre/probiotics complex reduces the chance of infection and encourages beneficial skin flora growth.

anti-inflamatory: decreases itching, prickling and discomfort.

wound-healing: strengthens natural biological skin defenses and promotes healing in previously damaged skin.

anti-chaffing: moisture absorbing polymers isolate excess moisture, protecting delicate skin against the chamois.

no tingling: same pro-level protection as dznuts pro chamois cream,without the tingling sensation.

http://www.dz-nuts.com/catalog/?p=press&v=unders

2011-01-17 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3304393

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
badgerintx - 2011-01-17 12:18 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-01-17 10:53 AM

Ok Suzy...I know that its Monday and all....but really... follow along!  Yes, I want Tony to root for the Bears because he says every team he roots for loses.  That would mean that if he roots for the bears, the Packers would win.......Which they will anyway!!!   

FWIW, my family (Mom, Bro & Sis) holds 4 season tickets for the Pack (Green package) and as you know, the waiting list is like 80+ years for season tickets.  So, if anybody in the MG has the dream of going to Lambeau, let me know early in the season! (except, we don't sell our tickets to any bears (sorry Erica) or viqueen fans!  Family rules!)

Story time!  My cousin has season tickets to the Bears.  I'd never gone with him, or gone to any professional football game ever for that matter.  My brother had gone with him numerous times because, well, they're boys, boys like football, girls don't apparently, etc.  BTW, I am absolutely a HUGE football fan, more so than most guys, and I live and die by the Bears.

So, December 20, 2008, I get a phone call from my cousin who heard that I'd never been to a game.  He invited me to the Bears-Packers game on December 22.  THIS IS MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL, mind you!  HUGE.  I'm pumped.  I was at my parents' house taking care of my mom who had the flu, and I left her alone on the couch so I could get to that game.  Temps with wind chill were around -15 degrees.  I bundled up like it was my job because I was determined to stay out there the entire time and cheer on my team!  I've never been more excited in my life!  Truly!

7:00ish rolls around, and I start feeling awful.  I push through it, thinking it's nothing, my adrenaline is probably just going nuts, right?  Watching the players warm-up was such a rush.  7:15ish rolls around, and I'm sicker than before.  I feel the vomit creeping up my throat and can't stop it, so I vomit all over my seat-area at Soldier Field.  I had not had an OUNCE of alcohol, either!  So, the medical staff were on me in seconds to see if I was okay, and I insisted that I would not go to the medical center with them because THIS WAS MY FIRST BEARS GAMES!  Nothing could stop me!

Then they start playing the national anthem...and I feel it coming again...  I excused myself and ran to the restroom and made it just in time.  I was in the restroom for about 30 minutes, sick as a dog.  I could barely move without vomiting.  At a certain point, I was sitting on the floor next to the toilet (gross) just sobbing and vomiting because I was so miserable and upset about missing the game!

I finally felt well enough to drag myself over to the medical center, where I proceeded to vomit a number of more times.  I've never been this sick in my life, ever.  Everybody kept assuming I'd been drinking, but turns out, I shouldn't have been taking care of my mom because, guess who had the flu!?  I spent the first 3 quarters of the game in the medical center being sick and crying about missing the game.  My cousin then decided he was cold, so he would take me back to my aunt's house.  I made it there without incident (barely), and just in time to watch the coin-flip for overtime, and then watch my beloved Bears win in OT thanks to Gould.  Sobbing the entire time because I should have been there...

That is the first, last, and only time I've ever gone to a Bears game.  He never invited me back after that (and I can't say I blame him).  And until Ryan and I make enough money to get tickets, it will remain my only game.  Pretty depressing.  I honestly still get very upset just thinking about it.

That being said, Ryan's mom wants to try to buy us tickets to a Bears-Packers game at Lambeau for our 2 year anniversary next summer.  I'm pumped on it, but it's bittersweet thinking of the missed opportunity on my home turf.

Now you may all carry on...
2011-01-17 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3300809

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

fattyfatfat - 2011-01-14 10:16 PM

• socks?  dirty socks?  you leave your dirty socks on the floor like that?
  • and with those dirty socks go those shoes?  c'mon man
  • the front front door has a draft, doesn't it. 
  • white paint for the door, jamb, AND wall.  ^c'mon man 2 bullets up.
  • is that fireproof carpet?
  • you need to pull your left sleeve up a bit more.  otherwise, lookin' good.

Just getting caught up after the weekend. Nice wetsuit Looks like mine except mine doesn't have all the great curves and bumps.

2011-01-17 3:25 PM

User image

Champion
GrapeJuice - 2011-01-17 11:24 AM OK I have a question for those out there that wear contacts, when racing do you swim with them in? I don't know what to do? a pool swim is fine with no contacts but OWS I wont be able to see in the distance to well to identify buoys and such?

I wear one daily disposable contact and use it in the pool and in OW.  When practicing in OW, I always remove it when done swimming and use an eye drop to clean out my eye in case the goggle leaked.  I then pop in a new one.  I have had no problems with the strategy.  I do carry spares with me in my transition bag in case my goggles get knocked off and I need to replace it in T1. 
2011-01-17 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3304370

User image

Champion
SoccerGK - 2011-01-17 12:08 PM

I don't wear them, but Ryan does.  He always uses his for OWS or pool swims.  As a matter of fact, he hardly ever wears glasses!  He seems to do just fine with them in for his swims though!

Ok, many of you know what many of our spouses look like.  Erica, you mention your spouse more than Tony does so I think we need a look see at the two of you.....I am sure several people are thinkin the same thing, but only I have the guts to type it.  Who is this Ryan you speak of????
2011-01-17 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3304829

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

I use D'z nuts as does Sam, great stuff.  Numbs everything up for long rides.

I wear contacts when I swim, knock on wood, haven't had any problems yet.  I can't see more than 3 feet in front of me without them so it isn't really an option.

2011-01-17 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Glen great run.

Kyla I'm a little late to the party here but you know my best wishes and prayers are with you and your dad.Trust you had a good run also.

Sugar. I don't use chamois butter or anything like that but I'm willing to try some to get that great tingling feeling

Trevor. Know what you mean about the cold weather. Lead the club out for a run on Thursday night and it was about the same temp. Actually turned out to be a pretty decent run. Layered up properly and felt very comfortable. Of course it always helps when you're running with other people too.

I had laser eye surgery done a few years ago so don't have to wear anything now (glasses or contacts that is Fatty). I was about the same as Tony it sounds like before the surgery. Best thing I have ever done as far as sports go. I used to wear contacts when I was doing karate and actually had them knocked out once. But only once.

Edited by Redknight 2011-01-17 4:13 PM
2011-01-17 4:51 PM

User image

Champion
HEY CT PEOPLE! I'M DESPERATE.....I had an issue with my Multi Rider III software today so I uninstalled it thinking I could just reinstall it from the disk or website.  NOPE!    Can someone send me the link to the software so I can download it?????  Doing today's ride in ME from memory wasn't bad, but the rest of the week is filled with MRC rides. ARGH!
2011-01-17 5:42 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Just got back from a great ride today with Linda (velcromom).  Let me just say, she ROCKS!!!  We had a super hilly ride of about 50 miles and it passed by just "like that" *snaps fingers*  First outdoor ride since...uh....my July HIM!  yikes, i was a little worried, but all was good.

We took a few photos which I will try to upload later.  The best part (after meeting Linda of course) was the hot out of the oven artichoke bread at the halfway point that she kindly treated me to.  I shared!!!!  I swear!!!  (hehe, i did get the leftover half loaf since I had an empty water bottle cage handy...will go great with some ice cold Viogner tonight)

Just as I thought, she was fun to be with, easy to talk to and super awesome on all of the hills!  Up and Down! 

Thanks, Linda, it was a blast!

oh, and i used my fave: assos chamois creme.   
2011-01-17 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3304829

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
SSMinnow - 2011-01-17 3:32 PM
SoccerGK - 2011-01-17 12:08 PM

Ok, many of you know what many of our spouses look like.  Erica, you mention your spouse more than Tony does so I think we need a look see at the two of you.....I am sure several people are thinkin the same thing, but only I have the guts to type it.  Who is this Ryan you speak of????

Haha, we're still pretty much newlyweds, so we aren't sick of each other yet!  We spend wayyy too much time together and train together, so that's probably why I talk about him too much.  Without further ado...

(Xmas3website.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Xmas3website.jpg (25KB - 7 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171