BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-09-28 4:38 AM
in reply to: #3702897

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
shake-n-bake - 2011-09-27 8:50 PM

Here is the link to the rr for my 70.3 race..

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=270009

I enjoyed the race report!

How is the recovery going?   

2011-09-28 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3702897

User image

Regular
Maryland
shake-n-bake - 2011-09-27 7:50 PM

Nice work!  Sounds like you had a good plan and a decent race.

2011-09-28 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Question about drinking coke during a race......

I've not tried it during training so I'm not about to try in my race this Sunday, but why is coke used so often during races? Is it jut for the sugar and caffeine?

My race this Sunday has power bar drinks, power bar gels & coke at the aid stations. I mostly use power bar gels so I'm sticking with that for this race. Just curious about using coke.

2011-09-28 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3703437

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-09-28 10:15 AM

I've not tried it during training so I'm not about to try in my race this Sunday, but why is coke used so often during races? Is it jut for the sugar and caffeine?

My race this Sunday has power bar drinks, power bar gels & coke at the aid stations. I mostly use power bar gels so I'm sticking with that for this race. Just curious about using coke.

It is usually flat, or should be and it is used for the caffeine and sugar, but it will also settle a sour stomach.  Honestly Adam for an Olympic adding coke is overkill unless you REALLY screwed up the nutrition and are bonking bad or you ingested a lot of bad tasting water on the swim and you need to settle your stomach.  If I remember right your race has a HIM option and for that distance and the IM distance, it helps to add this on the run as a change of taste.  In most IM races they will also have chicken soup broth for the sodium. 

We have talked about practicing your nutrition in the past and it sounds like you have.  When it comes to racing however, a lot of variables play into the mix and you can never fully practice what may happen.  For sprints and olympic distance you can usually recover with a short walk or with the sports drinks they offer on course.  For the longer distances though, it may take more than that which is why you will see a lot of different foods available on the run course.  I have seen pretzels, orange slices, even cookies in addition to the sports drink, bars and gels.

Good question!
2011-09-28 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3703117

User image

Veteran
Georgia
kenj - 2011-09-28 5:38 AM

Ken

Recovery is going good, been a little tender in the quads but overall not bad.. I'm looking at my options because that was my last tri for the year. Thinking of doing a half marathon in November and get back into the gym for strength training, with occasional swims and bike rides and work on my running more. Giving thought to doing Ironman Texas next May so if I do that after the half marathon I will take several weeks off then start IM training mid-December first of the year...Thank You all for the advice this year.

Edited by shake-n-bake 2011-09-28 9:38 AM
2011-09-28 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland

I have a question for all of you.

I'm toying with the idea of signing up for an Olympic distance in late May, but not seriously.

I enjoyed doing the sprint distance, but I'm not sure how gung ho I am about taking it to the next level.

I know the distances, I'm just not sure about the amount of additional training it takes.  Also, what can I do now to keep in shape or even to improve my fitness level?

Thanks,Undecided

2011-09-28 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3703467

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-09-28 10:36 AM
kenj - 2011-09-28 5:38 AM

Ken

Recovery is going good, been a little tender in the quads but overall not bad.. I'm looking at my options because that was my last tri for the year. Thinking of doing a half marathon in November and get back into the gym for strength training, with occasional swims and bike rides and work on my running more. Giving thought to doing Ironman Texas next May so if I do that after the half marathon I will take several weeks off then start IM training mid-December first of the year...Thank You all for the advice this year.

Sounds like a good plan!
2011-09-28 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3703707

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-09-28 12:37 PM

I have a question for all of you.

I'm toying with the idea of signing up for an Olympic distance in late May, but not seriously.

I enjoyed doing the sprint distance, but I'm not sure how gung ho I am about taking it to the next level.

I know the distances, I'm just not sure about the amount of additional training it takes.  Also, what can I do now to keep in shape or even to improve my fitness level?

Thanks,Undecided

There are a couple of things you could do now to continue to improve your fitness.  Some people use the off season to work on the weakest segment of your race.  There are some off season plans available here on BT, not sure if there are any in the free section or not.  You could also do some group activities like spin classes to keep the bike condition up and not get stuck in the basement on the trainer.

Some people choose to switch totally to doing something different like strength training.

Personally I have done something different every year it seems, but this year if I get to my marathon (nagging hamstring that has my training off right now), after a couple of weeks recovery I am going to do the Insanity program that I bought last year, but only could fit in now and then.   Plus focus on improving my bike strength.  I hope to get my bike FTP a lot closer to Icemans' than it currently is!  There is a winter running series around here that I will run just to maintain some run fitness and I will use the pool now and then for recovery.  Other than the Insanity program, everything else will be unstructured until January when I will hit the bike hard! (on the trainer of course, it is upstate NY here).

I hope that helped some Vivian.  Has anyone else given any thought to their off season plan?
2011-09-28 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Great Question Vivian!!!  I have been thinking about this a lot since my training has been a train wreck since mid June.  Vacations, moving and a hurt foot have all really put a kink in the training.  So I have been spending a lot of time in the gym on the weights and in yoga working on my inbalances and trying to get my foot, knee and shoulder to a good happy place! Once winter rolls around (I predict 2 more weeks!) I will set up the trainer in the garage and start attendgin spin class.  Continue to increase my frequency and duration of the run (starting from scratch last week) till I can get up to about 12 miles per week. The occasional swim. And then of course X-Country SKIING - YEAH!  Hopefully this plan will put me in a good place come April to really start hitting the SBR hard again.

Had a beautiful bike ride today!  Already getting cold here - bike ride in the low 40's.  Had frost the last 3 mornings.

2011-09-28 5:24 PM

User image

Regular
Maryland
thanks guys, some good advice.  Any insight into jumping from a sprint to the oly distance?
2011-09-28 6:24 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Thanks to everyone for the advice about the nutrition issue during the IM.  I have tried numerous things and haven't figured it out yet.  I have started using Nuun again which I think is a good thing. Ken, which X lab do you have? 

While some of my training has been going well, there are days (like today) where things just fall apart. I tell myself that that is going to happen and move on.  I have to say that I am getting more and more nervous and can't believe how fast this year has gone! 

2011-09-28 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3704236

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Viyoung - 2011-09-28 6:24 PM thanks guys, some good advice.  Any insight into jumping from a sprint to the oly distance?

Well I'm making the jump in a few days....LOL

I found a 16 week plan here and modified it to 12 weeks and up'd the run quite a bit from what was on the plan. When I started the plan I was way ahead of what was on there so I just kept going using the 10% rule.

You can look over my logs for an idea of the training time I've put in for. Really it's been pretty easy to do all things considered as you knowEmbarassed. I mostly did all the workouts (missed a few short swim workouts) and I feel confident in being able to finish and finish strong.

You have plenty of time to do it. I don't really think it's a big jump to move to the oly distance. More training for sure and I think it's more critical to be consistent in your training but it's very doable.

You should give it a shot.

2011-09-28 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3703464

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2011-09-28 10:33 AM

It is usually flat, or should be and it is used for the caffeine and sugar, but it will also settle a sour stomach.  Honestly Adam for an Olympic adding coke is overkill unless you REALLY screwed up the nutrition and are bonking bad or you ingested a lot of bad tasting water on the swim and you need to settle your stomach.  If I remember right your race has a HIM option and for that distance and the IM distance, it helps to add this on the run as a change of taste.  In most IM races they will also have chicken soup broth for the sodium. 

We have talked about practicing your nutrition in the past and it sounds like you have.  When it comes to racing however, a lot of variables play into the mix and you can never fully practice what may happen.  For sprints and olympic distance you can usually recover with a short walk or with the sports drinks they offer on course.  For the longer distances though, it may take more than that which is why you will see a lot of different foods available on the run course.  I have seen pretzels, orange slices, even cookies in addition to the sports drink, bars and gels.

Good question!

My race (olympic length) coincides with the HIM race. I don't foresee bonking on this race and my nutrion plan will be simple and based on ingesting power gels during the race. I've used them for a while now and have used them on my long training sessions.

I've read in a few peoples race reports and noted that the aid stations during the run on my race will have coke available. Thought I should ask about before gulping it down during the race....LOL

2011-09-28 10:36 PM
in reply to: #3704274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Kath2163 - 2011-09-28 6:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for the advice about the nutrition issue during the IM.  I have tried numerous things and haven't figured it out yet.  I have started using Nuun again which I think is a good thing. Ken, which X lab do you have? 

While some of my training has been going well, there are days (like today) where things just fall apart. I tell myself that that is going to happen and move on.  I have to say that I am getting more and more nervous and can't believe how fast this year has gone! 

The damn problem with all the additives like Nunn is you have to carry them and dump them in.  We were given plastic water bottles on the course ike the ones in the convenience store so unless you took time to pour them into regular cycling bottles and add a Nunn, you were screwed.  I had the endurolyte powder in with Perpetulum in two bottles with 3 hours each.  One was frozen, the other cold.  So I sipped from them and then drank loads of water.  Still had cramps so 1.  I should have used even more endurolytes or 2 I drank too much water, which I do not believe.

2011-09-29 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3704236

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-09-28 6:24 PM thanks guys, some good advice.  Any insight into jumping from a sprint to the oly distance?

That is a tough one to give advice on Vivian!  Can you do it? Absolutely!  The training time is not quite double, but close and it all depends on which plan you choose to follow.  Should you jump up is entirely up to you and your goals in the sport.  It should be fun and if it becomes a chore you aren't going to follow the plan and will either wind up injured or giving up in frustration. 

My advice would be to take the time this winter and pick an oly plan and try the first couple of weeks.  If you find you can handle it, great!  If not you might want to stick to the sprint distance.

Remember, the longer the race distance the more that CONSISTENT training becomes important!
2011-09-29 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3704477

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-09-28 10:46 PM
kenj - 2011-09-28 10:33 AM

Good question!

My race (olympic length) coincides with the HIM race. I don't foresee bonking on this race and my nutrion plan will be simple and based on ingesting power gels during the race. I've used them for a while now and have used them on my long training sessions.

I've read in a few peoples race reports and noted that the aid stations during the run on my race will have coke available. Thought I should ask about before gulping it down during the race....LOL

I know you will be fine Adam, wasn't suggesting other wise.  Just making the point for the whole group!

2011-09-29 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3704274

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-09-28 7:24 PM

I use the Turbo wing with the Gorilla cages and the inflator and CO2 adapters.  Here is the link to their website.

I like the Speedfil for water as it puts the straw right in front of me and I can take the water bottles that they give you on the course and just push them into the cap and squeeze out the water.

As far as the training goes, you will have days that are tough and things don't go your way, but hopefully there are more good days than bad.

2011-09-29 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3704508

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-09-28 11:36 PM

The damn problem with all the additives like Nunn is you have to carry them and dump them in.  We were given plastic water bottles on the course ike the ones in the convenience store so unless you took time to pour them into regular cycling bottles and add a Nunn, you were screwed.  I had the endurolyte powder in with Perpetulum in two bottles with 3 hours each.  One was frozen, the other cold.  So I sipped from them and then drank loads of water.  Still had cramps so 1.  I should have used even more endurolytes or 2 I drank too much water, which I do not believe.

Someone had a birthday this week and thanks to the new Facebook which sucks, I missed it!  Happy belated Birthday to our newest IRONMAN! 
2011-09-29 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3705356

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kenj - 2011-09-29 1:19 PM
IceManScott - 2011-09-28 11:36 PM

Someone had a birthday this week and thanks to the new Facebook which sucks, I missed it!  Happy belated Birthday to our newest IRONMAN! 

Thanks!  It was a grand birthday.  We've been celebrating since IM and plan to continue.

Kath, what IM are you doing, I'm sorry, I've read over it and I can't get to your page to see.  My best advice about nerves is to stay in the moment.  Ask what you can do now to better prepare for race day...then go do it and forget about it.  You have done the work.  Race day is about execution and celebration of your fitness.   yes, it is grueling, not trying to happy talk over that fact.  But it is very doable.  The vast majority who start will finish.  You will be among them, I'm sure. 

One other point - realize the physical feelings associated with anxiousness and excitement are the same.  It is all in how we interpret it.  My goal was to finish in the best time I could and to have fun.  I was honest to god smiling when the cannon went off.  I was ecstatic in the water, on the bike, on the run....  It was so damn exciting ...the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.       

Also, anyone thinking about going longer than you have before?  OF COURSE YOU CAN DO IT!   Hell, did you think you'd make it this far?  Not me.  I remember telling my coach when we first met and he asked about my ultimate dream goal and I first mouthed the words, Do you think I can do an Ironman?  He said, Sure, but it all depends on how much you are willing to do.  If you put in the time, you will reach your goals.  As Ken said, consist workouts are key if you start to go longer.  Setting aside the time every day to do your workouts is a must. Be honest about your challenges and ask for help.  If you need swim lessons, take some. I did - for three years.  And still am going to go back this winter.  If you need help on the bike, ask the best local riders for input.  I did.  My coach is a top bike time trialist too.   If you are running challenged, ask for help.  I joined the local running club and joined their intermediate group running workouts.  

An Oly isn't that much farther than a sprint.  You'll do it!

Edited by IceManScott 2011-09-29 2:07 PM
2011-09-29 2:09 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Very good advice Ice!
2011-09-29 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Also, walk like a damn champion.  Swagger by god.  You've all earned it this year.  Timid is as timid does, but courage is as courage does.  As Lance Armstrong Foundation says, Attitude is everything. 

2011-09-29 11:35 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Love it!
2011-09-30 6:29 AM
in reply to: #3705445

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-09-29 3:10 PM

Also, walk like a damn champion.  Swagger by god.  You've all earned it this year.  Timid is as timid does, but courage is as courage does.  As Lance Armstrong Foundation says, Attitude is everything. 

Very good!! 
2011-09-30 8:06 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland

Hey guys, wonderful advice, thanks for the feedback.

Love the swagger!  I need to practice that more

2011-09-30 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3704224

User image

Regular
Maryland
robingray_260 - 2011-09-28 5:13 PM

Great Question Vivian!!!  I have been thinking about this a lot since my training has been a train wreck since mid June.  Vacations, moving and a hurt foot have all really put a kink in the training.  So I have been spending a lot of time in the gym on the weights and in yoga working on my inbalances and trying to get my foot, knee and shoulder to a good happy place! Once winter rolls around (I predict 2 more weeks!) I will set up the trainer in the garage and start attendgin spin class.  Continue to increase my frequency and duration of the run (starting from scratch last week) till I can get up to about 12 miles per week. The occasional swim. And then of course X-Country SKIING - YEAH!  Hopefully this plan will put me in a good place come April to really start hitting the SBR hard again.

Had a beautiful bike ride today!  Already getting cold here - bike ride in the low 40's.  Had frost the last 3 mornings.

Great plan Robin!  I guess there are some advantage to moving to Alaska - I bet the Xcountry skiing is wonderful.  Have you thought about taking up mushing?  (Isn't that what you call racing dogs on a sled?)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72