Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-10-19 1:34 PM
in reply to: #5287127

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Marathon training day 1 in the books. Fartlek intervals. It took a very long time for me to understand why my wife was giving me the most confused look when I told her I was going fartleking (which she heard as fart licking). Hhahahahahaha

2023-10-19 3:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Marathon training day 1 in the books. Fartlek intervals. It took a very long time for me to understand why my wife was giving me the most confused look when I told her I was going fartleking (which she heard as fart licking). Hhahahahahaha

Mwahaha fart licking, hilarious.

Fartlek is a Swedish word which literally translates to speed play.

As we say in Swenglish, it’s not the fart (speed) that kills, it’s the smell (impact).

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-10-20 2:15 AM
2023-10-19 4:54 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Haha, Fartlek is a silly word. Fun workout though, best done with a friend so the high effort stuff can become mini races

For me, an hour easy run on the treadmill last night.

Planning to sneak out of the office for a swim today, maybe a bike tonight but Mr 6 is having a school friend over, that's likely to involve it's parents so I'm expecting life to get in the way of that one.

Have a good weekend guys
2023-10-20 6:50 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, everyone.  Fat Thor is making his rounds around Italy right now with an amazing display of revelry, food, and drink. 

It's incredible here.  There are pizza restaurants everywhere you can throw a stone (as well as cathedrals).  I've learned to eat pizza with a fork.  Who knew?  I know about five words in Italian which didn't matter in Rome, but here in Florence it's interesting.  Had lunch at a pizza place speaking zero English trying to pronunciate words from Apple translate.  

Five days in Rome and now we're in Florence.  I've climbed about 4,000 stairs and walked probably 40 miles so far, plus we did one workout in the gym here in Florence.  No outdoor runs but I plan on doing one along the Arno river on Sunday.

So far we've done the outdoor thing by ourselves in Rome (Colosseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain, and I climbed the Spanish Steps), plus the Vatican and St. Peter's Cathedral (mobbed with people even with an early "skip the line" tour).  Then here in Florence we have done the Uffizi Gallery (amazing) and the Academia (statue of David - unbelievable), plus the Duomo.  Day trip to Pisa tomorrow, then a day of chilling and just wondering before we have our Planes, Trains, and Automobiles 18-hour plus travel trip back to Baltimore (train to Rome, train or taxi to FCO, flight to Heathrow, flight to BWI, drive home).  Everyone told me five days in any city isn't enough and that is 100 percent accurate.  As an American it is incredible to observe the scope of history here, sometimes literally an order of magnitude longer than in the U.S.

Glad to see you all training away.

@Gretchen:  good on you for a marathon and you are a rock star at following plans so you'll do great

@Nathalie:  "I didn't want to" - I could write a whole essay (book?) on the subject but there are definitely some days our brains just figure we don't need to do what we planned and sometimes they work out great

@Andrew:  I see you continuing to solider on, and your weather should start to be nice soon, no?

@Nicole:  hope your logging continues to go well

Oh, and one last thing.  I joined the lemmings and got a iPhone.  I've had a Windows or Android phone and finally bit the bullet.  I'm losing my mind right now with all of the differences. 

2023-10-20 11:52 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
30’ foundation run this morning. Felt good and four runs in a row this week. Things (I.e., body parts) are holding up.
2023-10-21 2:54 PM
in reply to: #5287175

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
8 mile long run this morning to close out week one of marathon training. This plan is a bit weird. It has the weekday runs by time, but weekend long runs by distance. I have no idea how long any of my long run routes are—only how long it will take me to run them! I mean, I know I should be able to figure it out, it is just too much thinking. Any plan I had this week was thrown out the window when I saw my weird, slightly creepy, very racist talkative neighbor and diverted down a different road than the one he was walking on.

2023-10-22 4:17 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good to hear from you Fat Thor, glad you’re enjoying Italy

Weird, slightly creepy, very racist talkative neighbour is something I’d go out of my way to avoid too.

It was my town’s marathon yesterday. Spend the first 3 hours volunteering at an aid station, first time I did that, that was fun. Then ran the last leg of the relay at a tempo way slower than my race tempo but I couldn’t be arsed, it’s off season.

Weather was dreadful 3C (37F), rain at the beginning and 30mph winds but I had the right amount of layers both for the aid station and the run.

A distance zwift session is on the books for the afternoon.

Hope everyone is having a nice Sunday (or for those of you on the other side, had)

2023-10-23 6:19 AM
in reply to: #5287176

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
38’ fast finish run this morning. Five minutes of Z4 running at the end, which was fun after the slow bit. I should say prescribed Z4 running, because my pace was well into the Z5 zone set by TP and my heart rate was stuck in Z3. Average?

I’m super proud of my wife too. Last year she started one of those virtual challenges—walk to Mordor. The whole thing is something like 800 miles, and there are milestones along the way—you follow the path of Frodo and Sam through the LOTR books. As you reach certain locations, you get a medal. She reached the Prancing Pony over the weekend (150 miles). She’s been taking the dog on a 0.9 mile walk about four times a week (dog can’t handle much more than that—she’s 15) all year. Next up…the mines of Moria.
2023-10-23 5:05 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Fat Thor, Glad to see you're enjoying your Italian adventure. I felt the same way about the history of the place when I was in the UK. It is a bit strange to have a beer in a pub that was there 500 years before your country was even discovered.

You're right, the good weather is starting here, we've just had our labour day long weekend which is the unofficial start of the kiwi summer. The aircon is on in my office most days now, so that's a sure sign things are getting warmer.

@Nathalie, Volunteering and racing in the same race? You do keep busy. Excellent work giving up your time to help. And welcome back to Zwift. Many zwift miles for you over the next 5 or 6 months.

@Gretchen. You're doing an 80:20 plan? I've got the book and this is what he says about the long run.

It’s better to give everyone a time and let the faster runner cover more distance in that time. But long runs are different, because their job is to build the endurance needed to cover a particular race distance. So long runs really need to be prescribed in distance to give every runner equal preparation to go the distance in their race.

Fitzgerald, Matt. 80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster By Training Slower (pp. 139-140). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Makes sense I think, but I agree its strange having 6 days a week prescribed by time and the 7th by distance.

Are you doing any swim/bike cross training during your Marathon plan?

And nice work for your wife and dog ticking off those miles. 15 years is old, but I'm sure a mile at a time is still her favourite part of the day.

Edited by bulfrog 2023-10-23 5:20 PM
2023-10-23 5:17 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Another solid week for me. A little more running and a little less biking than last week for about the same duration and intensity.

Swim: x1, 30min 1,250m
Bike, x3, 5hr 30min all zwift
Run, x3, 3hr 25 min

9 hours 25 minutes for the week. Same as last week. TIcking off the boxes.

After 2 solid weeks my training plan calls for a cutback week this week, BUT, next week is race 1 of our local sprint/oly distance tri series. And, for the first time in 8 years I'm planning to do one (Unless the weather is terrible), so I'm rearranging things, next week will be a cutback/taper/race and this week will be the 3rd week of build.

Seeing as I'm likely racing next week, over the weekend I dusted the race stead off, cleaned and lubed the chain and Monday morning went for a bit of a test ride. Only an hour, but my first non zwift ride since January 2022. Good news, bike did not explode on me, and I have not forgotten how to ride.

Definitely need more practice drinking on the go though, so a few of my long rides need to shift outdoor between now and the 70.3.

And in the afternoon I took Mr 6 into the beach, he rode I ran for about half an hour before catching up with Mrs BF and the little one at a craft market. It's slow, but it counts. And he loves it.

Good long weekend.
2023-10-24 8:03 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good work Andrew. Hope the weather will be good enough this weekend and you can race. Will you do the sprint or the oly?

2023-10-24 9:34 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

@Gretchen. You're doing an 80:20 plan? I've got the book and this is what he says about the long run.

It’s better to give everyone a time and let the faster runner cover more distance in that time. But long runs are different, because their job is to build the endurance needed to cover a particular race distance. So long runs really need to be prescribed in distance to give every runner equal preparation to go the distance in their race.

Fitzgerald, Matt. 80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster By Training Slower (pp. 139-140). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Makes sense I think, but I agree its strange having 6 days a week prescribed by time and the 7th by distance.

Are you doing any swim/bike cross training during your Marathon plan?

And nice work for your wife and dog ticking off those miles. 15 years is old, but I'm sure a mile at a time is still her favourite part of the day.

Yeah, it says basically the same thing in the workout description and this makes total sense to me. The weird thing is that their IM/HIM plans don't do the same thing--make sure you cover the distance in training. I think for both my 140.6 training cycles the long run was maxed out at 3 hours, which would require a constant 9'/mi to hit the magical 20 miles for marathon training. I only hit about 15 or so miles on the long run because I'm not a 9'/miler...certainly not for 20 miles! Maybe that is why my IM runs are always more like 3 miles of trotting and then 23 miles of walking increasingly slowly and then 0.15 miles of trying to run whilst looking like my limbs aren't attached to my body and then 0.05 miles of ill-advised sprinting across the line like I am not in agony. :D

The marathon plan calls for 6 days of running (5 days of 30-45' and then one long run) and no cross training, which fits pretty well with my trip to Egypt coming up this week. I'll stick with running only (or probably running and strength training once the stitches come out of my arm) until January, then probably start adding back some S/B as I get closer to the beginning of training season, but keeping up with the marathon plan. Layering a tri plan on top of a marathon training plan sounds like a superbly stupid idea...let's do it.
2023-10-24 9:34 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Good work Andrew. Hope the weather will be good enough this weekend and you can race. Will you do the sprint or the oly?

Yes...let us live vicariously through you!!
2023-10-24 9:37 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Very easy 30' run this morning. I took the "hilly" route just for some variety today, but I'm quickly realizing that I need new running routes if I'm going to run six days a week. The same two routes (left or right at the end of the street) aren't going to cut it. Guess I shouldn't complain, starting next week I get the same 1/3 mile stretch of road in front of the dig house (and the police guards) for the next six weeks...always fun.
2023-10-24 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey all...back from Europe and thoroughly jet-lagged today after a 20 plus-hour trip home yesterday.  For the record, British Airways sucks.  Oh well, definitely worth it.

I'll be getting in a few easy workouts this week as prep for my off-season plan which will again be strength and speed, and I'll be joined by my daughter for the running part as she's trying to get faster (not a runner growing up, only a swimmer, so she has the aerobic engine but not the biomechanics yet).  And after posting my biggest training month ever in July, I'll be following that up with maybe the lowest other than injury here in October.  Fat Thor lives. 

@Gretchen: I really like the 6/day a week plan with the five shorter runs and the long run with a couple of quality runs sprinkled in (Daniels would approve).  The whole time/distance thing has always been a little bit of a mystery to me but I "think" the premise is to make the long run a stressor on the amount of time you're out there, knowing adrenaline will push you faster during race day.  For my previous HM training I've never ran 13 miles in a session but I've gone over two hours which was +/- 10 minutes longer than I'd be out there.  I think you have the intention of the IM plan down and its run phases.    I'll be interested in seeing how your run improves with the focus.

@Andrew:  good luck this weekend and it'll be a nice baseline fitness test for you; so cool you're running with your kid when he's young like that.

2023-10-24 3:21 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Sorry, we're a weekend out. Race day is next weekend (Nov. 5) This week is a normal training week.

I'm 90% going to do the sprint. I can go do a race, which is fun. Use all the race kit, which is a good test and remind myself what it's like to do a triathlon. But have no real carry over fatuige so be back into normal training the next day.

An Oly is probably a better test event for my 70.3, and I can practice nutrition etc. better. But then the following week is compromised recovering from a 2.5-3 hour race.

2023-10-24 3:24 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Layering a tri plan on top of a marathon training plan sounds like a superbly stupid idea...let's do it.

If/when its time to do that, I would think that swapping 1 or 2 of your easy/base mile runs per week to bikes and/or swims wouldn't hurt your marathon plan. So long as you keep the key run workouts each week.

Or you could release your inner machine and just add bike/swims and make some days doubles.
2023-10-25 2:58 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I'm 90% going to do the sprint. I can go do a race, which is fun. Use all the race kit, which is a good test and remind myself what it's like to do a triathlon. But have no real carry over fatuige so be back into normal training the next day.

An Oly is probably a better test event for my 70.3, and I can practice nutrition etc. better. But then the following week is compromised recovering from a 2.5-3 hour race.

Makes sense, you can always do an oly later

Welcome back Mike (although you were on my side of the pond), glad you had a good time
2023-10-25 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Smart plan with the sprint...100% in agreement.

Got back at it today with a 45 minute spin on the bike and some core work at 4 AM because I'm still fighting getting back on U.S. time.  Now I have an all-day meeting on Denver time (two more hours behind me) so I'll be a hot mess by the end of the day.  At least it's virtual, but I am on camera. 

Dozing off Stock Photos, Royalty Free Dozing off Images | Depositphotos

2023-10-25 10:05 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
hope you manage to stay awake for your meeting!
2023-10-25 12:18 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Layering a tri plan on top of a marathon training plan sounds like a superbly stupid idea...let's do it.

If/when its time to do that, I would think that swapping 1 or 2 of your easy/base mile runs per week to bikes and/or swims wouldn't hurt your marathon plan. So long as you keep the key run workouts each week.

Or you could release your inner machine and just add bike/swims and make *some* days doubles.

SOME days doubles? Why would I take a vacation now? :D

2023-10-25 12:21 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Smart plan with the sprint...100% in agreement.

Got back at it today with a 45 minute spin on the bike and some core work at 4 AM because I'm still fighting getting back on U.S. time.  Now I have an all-day meeting on Denver time (two more hours behind me) so I'll be a hot mess by the end of the day.  At least it's virtual, but I am on camera. 

Dozing off Stock Photos, Royalty Free Dozing off Images | Depositphotos

Ain't jet lag grand? I find coming west to be so much worse than going east, but it may be that I find jet lag not so bad when I'm in a new and exciting spot and worse when I'm just home from said new and exciting spot. Official wisdom is that it takes a one day for every hour of time difference to recover, but I find there needs to be some sort of correction factor for aging. The older I get, the harder jet lag is on me.

Also...your little picture looks like what I see every time I teach an online class!

Edited by drfoodlove 2023-10-25 12:21 PM
2023-10-25 12:23 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
30' Z2 run today. Not exciting, but done. Have noticed I am a bit faster than I was before (i.e., about this time last year), but I still feel like it takes nearly two miles to make my body work the way I think it should work. Biomechanically, I'm a mess--I look like my legs and trunk aren't attached to the same brain...related brains, but not the same brain. Maybe what would happen if a two headed person tried to run. It is ugly and I am so fortunate I run in the dark where no one can actually see me--they might think I'm having a stroke or a seizure.
2023-10-25 7:53 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Or you could release your inner machine and just add bike/swims and make *some* days doubles.

SOME days doubles? Why would I take a vacation now? :D

Haha, indeed

Joking aside, don't forget proper recovery is just as important as the workouts in your training plan. Especially with the amount of running you're going to be putting in during a marathon plan.
2023-10-25 9:50 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
This week, life has jumped in and actually helped the training plan.

I had to head out of town overnight for work, long story short the timing gave me the opportunity for a swim Wednesday at the start of the drive north, and today at the end of the drive home. That's better than work getting too busy and making me skip workouts. Happy days.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland