BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-09-30 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3706201

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

OK my race is on Sunday and I'm a little nervous about the weather. It might rain Sunday and the temperature is supposed to drop about 10 degrees by Sunday. High 50's is what is in the forecast.

I have a one piece tri-suit which is great but I don't know if I should wear a shirt over the suit for some warmth on the bike or not. I could take it off for the run if need be. I heat up fast and sweat a lot so I don't really need much most of the time.

Anyone use arm warmers? I thought they might be the ticket for Sunday out on the bike.

2011-09-30 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3706670

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
acv - 2011-09-30 12:09 PM

OK my race is on Sunday and I'm a little nervous about the weather. It might rain Sunday and the temperature is supposed to drop about 10 degrees by Sunday. High 50's is what is in the forecast.

I have a one piece tri-suit which is great but I don't know if I should wear a shirt over the suit for some warmth on the bike or not. I could take it off for the run if need be. I heat up fast and sweat a lot so I don't really need much most of the time.

Anyone use arm warmers? I thought they might be the ticket for Sunday out on the bike.

Arm warmers are great.  You can always pull then down to wrist bands if you don't need them.  

2011-09-30 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3706686

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-09-30 1:18 PM
acv - 2011-09-30 12:09 PM

Arm warmers are great.  You can always pull then down to wrist bands if you don't need them.  

I agree with Scott!  Race day adrenaline helps too!

Good luck Sunday! Have fun!
2011-09-30 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Anyone else racing this weekend?
2011-10-02 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3706201

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Viyoung - 2011-09-30 8:08 AM
robingray_260 - 2011-09-28 5:13 PM

Great Question Vivian!!!  I have been thinking about this a lot since my training has been a train wreck since mid June.  Vacations, moving and a hurt foot have all really put a kink in the training.  So I have been spending a lot of time in the gym on the weights and in yoga working on my inbalances and trying to get my foot, knee and shoulder to a good happy place! Once winter rolls around (I predict 2 more weeks!) I will set up the trainer in the garage and start attendgin spin class.  Continue to increase my frequency and duration of the run (starting from scratch last week) till I can get up to about 12 miles per week. The occasional swim. And then of course X-Country SKIING - YEAH!  Hopefully this plan will put me in a good place come April to really start hitting the SBR hard again.

Had a beautiful bike ride today!  Already getting cold here - bike ride in the low 40's.  Had frost the last 3 mornings.

Great plan Robin!  I guess there are some advantage to moving to Alaska - I bet the Xcountry skiing is wonderful.  Have you thought about taking up mushing?  (Isn't that what you call racing dogs on a sled?)

Yes, the mushing or dog sledding is big here.  The only problem is you need the dogs (plural).  I often here kennels of dogs on my bike rides.  Taking care of that many dogs seems a bit much to.  Definately going to go and watch the iditarod here in March though!

2011-10-02 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3708322

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
robingray_260 - 2011-10-02 5:36 PM
Viyoung - 2011-09-30 8:08 AM
robingray_260 - 2011-09-28 5:13 PM

Great Question Vivian!!!  I have been thinking about this a lot since my training has been a train wreck since mid June.  Vacations, moving and a hurt foot have all really put a kink in the training.  So I have been spending a lot of time in the gym on the weights and in yoga working on my inbalances and trying to get my foot, knee and shoulder to a good happy place! Once winter rolls around (I predict 2 more weeks!) I will set up the trainer in the garage and start attendgin spin class.  Continue to increase my frequency and duration of the run (starting from scratch last week) till I can get up to about 12 miles per week. The occasional swim. And then of course X-Country SKIING - YEAH!  Hopefully this plan will put me in a good place come April to really start hitting the SBR hard again.

Had a beautiful bike ride today!  Already getting cold here - bike ride in the low 40's.  Had frost the last 3 mornings.

Great plan Robin!  I guess there are some advantage to moving to Alaska - I bet the Xcountry skiing is wonderful.  Have you thought about taking up mushing?  (Isn't that what you call racing dogs on a sled?)

Yes, the mushing or dog sledding is big here.  The only problem is you need the dogs (plural).  I often here kennels of dogs on my bike rides.  Taking care of that many dogs seems a bit much to.  Definately going to go and watch the iditarod here in March though!

The Iditarod has to be one of the most grueling sporting events ever for humans and dogs alike.  Take up salmon fishing.  They have great runs all summer long!

2011-10-02 11:05 PM
in reply to: #3705433

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
IceManScott - 2011-09-29 1:06 PM
kenj - 2011-09-29 1:19 PM
IceManScott - 2011-09-28 11:36 PM
Kath2163 - 2011-09-28 6:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for the advice about the nutrition issue during the IM.  I have tried numerous things and haven't figured it out yet.  I have started using Nuun again which I think is a good thing. Ken, which X lab do you have? 

While some of my training has been going well, there are days (like today) where things just fall apart. I tell myself that that is going to happen and move on.  I have to say that I am getting more and more nervous and can't believe how fast this year has gone! 

The damn problem with all the additives like Nunn is you have to carry them and dump them in.  We were given plastic water bottles on the course ike the ones in the convenience store so unless you took time to pour them into regular cycling bottles and add a Nunn, you were screwed.  I had the endurolyte powder in with Perpetulum in two bottles with 3 hours each.  One was frozen, the other cold.  So I sipped from them and then drank loads of water.  Still had cramps so 1.  I should have used even more endurolytes or 2 I drank too much water, which I do not believe.

Someone had a birthday this week and thanks to the new Facebook which sucks, I missed it!  Happy belated Birthday to our newest IRONMAN! 

Thanks!  It was a grand birthday.  We've been celebrating since IM and plan to continue.

Kath, what IM are you doing, I'm sorry, I've read over it and I can't get to your page to see.  My best advice about nerves is to stay in the moment.  Ask what you can do now to better prepare for race day...then go do it and forget about it.  You have done the work.  Race day is about execution and celebration of your fitness.   yes, it is grueling, not trying to happy talk over that fact.  But it is very doable.  The vast majority who start will finish.  You will be among them, I'm sure. 

One other point - realize the physical feelings associated with anxiousness and excitement are the same.  It is all in how we interpret it.  My goal was to finish in the best time I could and to have fun.  I was honest to god smiling when the cannon went off.  I was ecstatic in the water, on the bike, on the run....  It was so damn exciting ...the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.       

Also, anyone thinking about going longer than you have before?  OF COURSE YOU CAN DO IT!   Hell, did you think you'd make it this far?  Not me.  I remember telling my coach when we first met and he asked about my ultimate dream goal and I first mouthed the words, Do you think I can do an Ironman?  He said, Sure, but it all depends on how much you are willing to do.  If you put in the time, you will reach your goals.  As Ken said, consist workouts are key if you start to go longer.  Setting aside the time every day to do your workouts is a must. Be honest about your challenges and ask for help.  If you need swim lessons, take some. I did - for three years.  And still am going to go back this winter.  If you need help on the bike, ask the best local riders for input.  I did.  My coach is a top bike time trialist too.   If you are running challenged, ask for help.  I joined the local running club and joined their intermediate group running workouts.  

An Oly isn't that much farther than a sprint.  You'll do it!

Great advice and I appreciate it!  I am doing IMAZ. Seven weeks from today.  I have always had problems with nerves but I get what you are saying. I volunteered last year so I could get a feel for the venue so at least I didn't have that as a total unknown.   I posted some Ironman questions on my blog today and would love any feedback you or anyone might have (there is a link to the blog below)

I have noticed that for the last two pool swims that I have done (the longest ones to date) I have started to get cold towards the end. I am more tired at the end of course and slower but would that cause me to get cold or is it that I am just in the water for a long time and that is how my body reacts?  I am concerned about the water temps in Arizona and how I  will react to them.  I am someone who gets cold really easily but also overheats really easily. When I was at IMAZ last year some of the people exiting the water were in pretty bad shape due to the water temps. I am sure I will be in the water at IMAZ for about 1.5 hours. I plan to be in the way back to prevent myself from being mauled and the reality is is that I am not a fast swimmer. 

2011-10-03 6:37 AM
in reply to: #3708617

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Kath2163 - 2011-10-02 11:05 PM

Thanks to everyone for the advice about the nutrition issue during the IM.  I have tried numerous things and haven't figured it out yet.  I have started using Nuun again which I think is a good thing. Ken, which X lab do you have? 

While some of my training has been going well, there are days (like today) where things just fall apart. I tell myself that that is going to happen and move on.  I have to say that I am getting more and more nervous and can't believe how fast this year has gone! 

The damn problem with all the additives like Nunn is you have to carry them and dump them in.  We were given plastic water bottles on the course ike the ones in the convenience store so unless you took time to pour them into regular cycling bottles and add a Nunn, you were screwed.  I had the endurolyte powder in with Perpetulum in two bottles with 3 hours each.  One was frozen, the other cold.  So I sipped from them and then drank loads of water.  Still had cramps so 1.  I should have used even more endurolytes or 2 I drank too much water, which I do not believe.

Someone had a birthday this week and thanks to the new Facebook which sucks, I missed it!  Happy belated Birthday to our newest IRONMAN! 

Thanks!  It was a grand birthday.  We've been celebrating since IM and plan to continue.

Kath, what IM are you doing, I'm sorry, I've read over it and I can't get to your page to see.  My best advice about nerves is to stay in the moment.  Ask what you can do now to better prepare for race day...then go do it and forget about it.  You have done the work.  Race day is about execution and celebration of your fitness.   yes, it is grueling, not trying to happy talk over that fact.  But it is very doable.  The vast majority who start will finish.  You will be among them, I'm sure. 

One other point - realize the physical feelings associated with anxiousness and excitement are the same.  It is all in how we interpret it.  My goal was to finish in the best time I could and to have fun.  I was honest to god smiling when the cannon went off.  I was ecstatic in the water, on the bike, on the run....  It was so damn exciting ...the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.       

Also, anyone thinking about going longer than you have before?  OF COURSE YOU CAN DO IT!   Hell, did you think you'd make it this far?  Not me.  I remember telling my coach when we first met and he asked about my ultimate dream goal and I first mouthed the words, Do you think I can do an Ironman?  He said, Sure, but it all depends on how much you are willing to do.  If you put in the time, you will reach your goals.  As Ken said, consist workouts are key if you start to go longer.  Setting aside the time every day to do your workouts is a must. Be honest about your challenges and ask for help.  If you need swim lessons, take some. I did - for three years.  And still am going to go back this winter.  If you need help on the bike, ask the best local riders for input.  I did.  My coach is a top bike time trialist too.   If you are running challenged, ask for help.  I joined the local running club and joined their intermediate group running workouts.  

Great advice and I appreciate it!  I am doing IMAZ. Seven weeks from today.  I have always had problems with nerves but I get what you are saying. I volunteered last year so I could get a feel for the venue so at least I didn't have that as a total unknown.   I posted some Ironman questions on my blog today and would love any feedback you or anyone might have (there is a link to the blog below)

I have noticed that for the last two pool swims that I have done (the longest ones to date) I have started to get cold towards the end. I am more tired at the end of course and slower but would that cause me to get cold or is it that I am just in the water for a long time and that is how my body reacts?  I am concerned about the water temps in Arizona and how I  will react to them.  I am someone who gets cold really easily but also overheats really easily. When I was at IMAZ last year some of the people exiting the water were in pretty bad shape due to the water temps. I am sure I will be in the water at IMAZ for about 1.5 hours. I plan to be in the way back to prevent myself from being mauled and the reality is is that I am not a fast swimmer. 

I'm unsure why you are cold.  I suspect it's just the water temps and that your body shifts blood to the core to keep it warm, so your arms and legs would feel colder.  Do you use a full suit or sleeveless.  I run hot so I got a sleeveless and it was perfect at Wisconsin and I like you are a middle of the pack swimmer.  1:35.   They have neoprene caps to help hold in body heat if the water is that cold.  You can always ditch it if it gets too warm.  I use one when the water is really cold.  I also use ear plus in open water no matter what the temp. I used to get out of the water woozy, staggering.  I thought it was from exertion.  Then I read that cold water on the inner ear makes the inner ear cold and causes dizziness.  I think it could also cool the head from the inside out.  Anyway, I feel warmer with them in.  They also help block out all the nervousness from the other athletes and that damn loud music that just makes me anxious and irritates me.  I stay calmer.  

As for nerves, I took time often to remember why I was doing this.  I started out in triathlon because it is FUN!  If short courses are fun, Ironman has to be the most fun there is right?!  And, as I said, staying in the moment to do what is in front of me to do was key.  Make lists of things that need doing and go do them.  Occupy yourself with the nuts and bolts of getting ready for the race. Don't give yourself a lot of time to dwell on things.   But anxiousness isn't a bad thing.  I was really ready after taper to get underway.  I meditate and have for years.  That helps calm me.  I also do what I suggested - translate the feelings in a positive way instead of a negative way, picture myself being successful, use positive self talk (which surveys show many of the elites use regularly.)  It really works.

You'll do great.  I'll check out your blog.  

Edited by IceManScott 2011-10-03 6:38 AM
2011-10-03 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3708617

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Kath2163 - 2011-10-02 11:05 PM

Kathy, I can't get it to take my post so here are the answers.  Sorry it's so long.

I've been mauled worse at an Oly triathlon.

- How cold will the water be?  Neophrene caps can be worn under your regular cap.  They do help in really cold water.  I mentioned ear plugs to you too. I think the bigger issue is sleeves or no sleeves. I went sleeveless but I get overheated.  Perfect.

- I wore a tri jersey on the run with pockets for two Gu containers that held 500 cals a piece. I also carried a concentrated Fuel belt bottle of Perpetuleum by Hammer in my tri jersey pocket. But there was plenty of water and sports drink and chicken broth on the run about every mile.  The broth has salt. Took away my leg cramps immediately.    

-  I didn't take sandwiches on the bike.  I had one in my special needs bag on the run.  I used two bottles of Perpetuleum and drank water from every rest stop, which were about 12 miles apart.  I also had solid Honey Stinger Bars cut into chunks. 250 to 350 cals an hour are about all the body will absorb.

- Check the web site for your athletes guide for the cutoff times.  But don't dwell on that.  You are far faster than the cut offs. Just start and keep moving forward.  Don't stop.  You'll be great.  I got cramps on the bike in the hills.  I actually knew the course well enough to get off the bike and walk a little bit once before the big ones to stretch my hamstrings.  I did not stop.  Kept walking. I was slower on the bike than I wanted to be but I had plenty of time.  If I had made the mistake to try to push through the cramps I would have seized up and that would have been the end of things.  Just stay focused.  It's a long race. When things go wrong - and they will - there is plenty of time for them to right themselves or for you to figure out a solution. You'll do great. 

- Morning clothes. You're given a bag.  Toss them into the bag when you put on your wet suit.  They will collect them at the swim start and they'll be waiting for you afterward along with your bags from T1 and T2. Everything was very well organized.

- The line the day for the IM store at the expo after was a couple of hours long and my legs were burning so we didn't wait.  The IM web site says the leftover items will be available.  Not yet.  So if you want something, get up and wait or send someone or buy it during the expo beforehand.  I'm superstitious so I didn't buy any finisher's stuff beforehand. I didn't want to jinx things. But that's just me.  I pick up pennies as long as the Lincoln head is up too. I am very happy with having a MDOT tattoo on my arm and another on my leg.  Enough for me if nothing shows up online.

- Forget the pain on the marathon.  Better yet, just embrace it.  As a friend, a woman IM said to me, "If it were easy, they would call it Panty Man."  Unless you are elite, most folks run/walk the marathon. Walk through the rest stops for sure to make sure you get your nutrition and water down right.  Take other walks as needed.  I and most folks walked up two major hills on both loops.  Smart thing to do.  My legs were sore the next two days, but I was mobile and by day three, I was human again. By Friday, I felt totally fine. Three weeks out, I am doing hard bike drills again. 

- I had socks in the special needs run bag. Feet were really wet by then.  Used same shoes all the way.  Don't put anything in the special needs bag you want back.  So what would you do with the extra shoes? 

- I heard the bike support was OK.  A friend needed it at Louisville after struggling with race wheels he had just gotten (Nothing new on race day people!) for a half hour.  But don't count on it.  Practice changing your flats at home more than once.  I took two tubes and three CO2 on the bike.  I had an extra tube and CO2 in the special needs bag.  Never stopped for it. 

- I hear you about long rides.  I imagine most of your friends are done with their races.  I had few people to ride long with.  I live three hours from IM Moo so I went there every weekend for 5 weeks and rode.  There were plenty of people there.  But around here, nobody and centuries every weekend get old by yourself.  I found no shortcut to that. Just lots of time to myself or stayed at home on the computrainer and watched TV. 

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if I can help.  Or call 309-275-7120.  I'll be glad to help in anyway.  I learned a lot.  I know IM is the best thing I've ever done for myself for a lot of great reasons.  You'll do fine.  The vast majority, like 9 out of 10, who start will finish.  You'll be one of them.  

IceMan 

2011-10-03 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Finished up my race report. It was an interesting weekend. Lot's of ups and downs this past weekend.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=270579

2011-10-04 4:47 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kathy, I agree with everything that Ice had to say.  He hit it on the mark!

The only thing I will add is that from our interaction on the web in this group and the group last year, you come across as a worrier.  Ironman is one day that you need to turn that around and think nothing but positive thoughts. Like Ice said, when the cannon goes off just keep moving until you cross the finish line. 

I'll add this on the long bikes, they aren't easy, and it certainly isn't easy to find someone to ride with.  What I would do is find people or group rides that I could do for part of the ride and ride on my own either before or after or sometimes both.  But biting the bullet and getting a couple done on your own goes a long ways towards giving you the confidence to finish in great shape on race day!

Positive thoughts! You CAN do this!!     

2011-10-04 4:51 AM
in reply to: #3709713

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-10-03 4:51 PM

Finished up my race report. It was an interesting weekend. Lot's of ups and downs this past weekend.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=270579

Great report Adam, thanks for sharing the link!  You had a great season!

I agree with your comment on getting some swim coaching in the off season.  Although I waited too late and did it mid season, it was time and money well spent and I am going to bring it back again this off season too!   
2011-10-04 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

IceMan,

Thanks for all the info and insite!  It really helps. Having never done an Ironman, of course there are a lot of unknowns and gathering the most info I can get really helps with the preparation. I truly appreciate your time. 

Kathleen

I signed up for this because I thought I could get it done(amonst other reasons). I don't look at this as a negative experience but a challenge. Reading race reports and getting the insite from those who have done this before helps me prepare. Keep moving is what I plan on doing on race day.

2011-10-04 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3710401

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Kath2163 - 2011-10-04 8:23 AM

IceMan,

Thanks for all the info and insite!  It really helps. Having never done an Ironman, of course there are a lot of unknowns and gathering the most info I can get really helps with the preparation. I truly appreciate your time. 

Kathleen

I signed up for this because I thought I could get it done(amonst other reasons). I don't look at this as a negative experience but a challenge. Reading race reports and getting the insite from those who have done this before helps me prepare. Keep moving is what I plan on doing on race day.

You can do it!  My comment on the swim was cut short.

Your plan for the swim is right on.  I got in and stayed to the far right about midway back.  The cannon went off and I'm smiling.  It was basically a big out and back.  You turn at one pylon, swim about 1200 yards and turn to come back.  I watched to my left and saw the field open up.  I moved toward the inside and really, I've been touched more on Oly courses.  Seriously.  Finished at 1:35 which was just fine with me.  So stay to the right, move in if you can and you want to, count strokes.  I just counted to 50 and repeated.  Helps get into the flow.  The swim really didn't seem that long or crazy.  

ASLso, Ken is right about group rides.  I did that.  I hooked up with shorter rides and when they turned back I just stayed out.  That was a lifesaver once in a while. 

2011-10-04 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3710401

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-10-04 9:23 AM

IceMan,

Kathleen

It is a challenge and it is best to be as prepared as possible, but that is what your training is for to practice every aspect of the race that you can.  I'm a big beleiver in the power of positive thinking.

As far as the swim, I haven't had an issue with being cold when I am swimming, especially when wearing a wet suit.  The pool I swim in usually is kept fairly warm for the other users so it hasn't been an issue there either.

In my experience with the 2 IM's I did staying outside and towards the back of the pack worked fine for me.  Unfortunately you can never fully avoid the other swimmers, but I have not found an IM swim to be any more physical than any wave swim I have done.  If it is a 2 lap swim, my experience has been that the 2nd lap is a bit more physical than the first since by then you should be swimming with people moving at the same pace.  Around the bouys is where it gets the worse.  But, practice sighting and swim towards open water or draft off some feet moving the same pace and you should be fine.

I guess I am a bit surprised about the temp question for AZ.  I just assumed that the water would be warm there.  What is the typical race day temp?
2011-10-04 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3710486

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kenj - 2011-10-04 8:01 AM

IceMan,

Kathleen

It is a challenge and it is best to be as prepared as possible, but that is what your training is for to practice every aspect of the race that you can.  I'm a big beleiver in the power of positive thinking.

As far as the swim, I haven't had an issue with being cold when I am swimming, especially when wearing a wet suit.  The pool I swim in usually is kept fairly warm for the other users so it hasn't been an issue there either.

In my experience with the 2 IM's I did staying outside and towards the back of the pack worked fine for me.  Unfortunately you can never fully avoid the other swimmers, but I have not found an IM swim to be any more physical than any wave swim I have done.  If it is a 2 lap swim, my experience has been that the 2nd lap is a bit more physical than the first since by then you should be swimming with people moving at the same pace.  Around the bouys is where it gets the worse.  But, practice sighting and swim towards open water or draft off some feet moving the same pace and you should be fine.

I guess I am a bit surprised about the temp question for AZ.  I just assumed that the water would be warm there.  What is the typical race day temp?

According to those who have done the race before the water temps are in the very low 60s. When I was volunteering last year the weather was crazy (wind, hail, rain..) and people were coming out of the water with neoprene caps and booties on. Some were in pretty bad shape (all the reason to swim faster Smile).   

2011-10-04 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3710507

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Kath2163 - 2011-10-04 9:09 AM

IceMan,

Kathleen

According to those who have done the race before the water temps are in the very low 60s. When I was volunteering last year the weather was crazy (wind, hail, rain..) and people were coming out of the water with neoprene caps and booties on. Some were in pretty bad shape (all the reason to swim faster Smile).   

Wow.  Good grief.  That is cold.  Neophrene cap would be a great asset.  Also consider trying ear plugs.  It really makes a difference to me.  Cold water inside my head is not a good thing.

Edited by IceManScott 2011-10-04 9:14 AM
2011-10-04 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3710514

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-10-04 10:14 AM

IceMan,

Kathleen

Wow.  Good grief.  That is cold.  Neophrene cap would be a great asset.  Also consider trying ear plugs.  It really makes a difference to me.  Cold water inside my head is not a good thing.

That is a huge surprise to me considering it is at the end of the warm weather there, although I know that the lake is fed by streams coming out of the mountains.

I agree with Ice on the neoprene cap and ear plugs.  Not sure on the booties, I have never tried them.  Generally keeping the top of your head and your core warm is the most effective.
2011-10-04 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3710525

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
kenj - 2011-10-04 9:23 AM

IceMan,

Kathleen

That is a huge surprise to me considering it is at the end of the warm weather there, although I know that the lake is fed by streams coming out of the mountains.

I agree with Ice on the neoprene cap and ear plugs.  Not sure on the booties, I have never tried them.  Generally keeping the top of your head and your core warm is the most effective.

x3 on swim cap and ear plugs. If not a neoprene cap then use 2 regular swim caps. Had a couple of cold open water swims earlier this summer (low 60's) and it is cold and does take some getting used to. If you can get in the water now (does the denver area still have areas you can swim and what is the current water temps in the next 2 months?)that may help you be better prepared. Anyways counting strokes as Ice says may be a good idea as at those temps your brain can be a little illogical and that may be a good way to stay focused til you warm up.  Never worn the booties during a swim (unless rescue swimming from my kayak counts!)

2011-10-04 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3710663

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
robingray_260 - 2011-10-04 11:41 AM
kenj - 2011-10-04 9:23 AM

IceMan,

Kathleen

x3 on swim cap and ear plugs. If not a neoprene cap then use 2 regular swim caps. Had a couple of cold open water swims earlier this summer (low 60's) and it is cold and does take some getting used to. If you can get in the water now (does the denver area still have areas you can swim and what is the current water temps in the next 2 months?)that may help you be better prepared. Anyways counting strokes as Ice says may be a good idea as at those temps your brain can be a little illogical and that may be a good way to stay focused til you warm up.  Never worn the booties during a swim (unless rescue swimming from my kayak counts!)

I wear booties at the start of the season for OWS. I hate them and stop wearing them as soon as I can. You have to fight a little to get them own into the water and they just plain annoy me. 

I would look into a neoprene swim cap it'll help. I always wear ear plugs now and especially for cold water.

2011-10-04 8:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Kathleen I am so excited for you!!!! You will do this!

I really want to ride with you again too! I've not been on my bike at all though so I may be even slower.

2011-10-06 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Thanks everyone!  My friend has some booties I can try out and I will make sure and get a neoprene cap.  I already wear earplugs for the reasons mentioned above so I have that covered Wink.

It is going to be a cold and rainy on Saturday and I have a rest day in preparation for my half marathon on Sunday. I am excited to put my feet up and watch the live stream of the Hawaii Ironman from my computer to the TV without feeling any guilt for not training. Anybody else planning on tuning in?

2011-10-07 5:11 AM
in reply to: #3713421

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-10-06 9:35 AM

Thanks everyone!  My friend has some booties I can try out and I will make sure and get a neoprene cap.  I already wear earplugs for the reasons mentioned above so I have that covered Wink.

It is going to be a cold and rainy on Saturday and I have a rest day in preparation for my half marathon on Sunday. I am excited to put my feet up and watch the live stream of the Hawaii Ironman from my computer to the TV without feeling any guilt for not training. Anybody else planning on tuning in?

I am heading to Pittsburg to see the Steelers play Sunday so I'll have to catch Hawaii on the TV broadcast.  Good luck with your half Sunday!!

2011-10-07 6:36 AM
in reply to: #3714609

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kenj - 2011-10-07 5:11 AM
Kath2163 - 2011-10-06 9:35 AM

I am heading to Pittsburg to see the Steelers play Sunday so I'll have to catch Hawaii on the TV broadcast.  Good luck with your half Sunday!!

Not racing.  Ramp up after recovery continues. I have been doing computrainer workouts this week with some single pedal drills, high cadence drills, some tempo efforts.  Starting to feel like the winter routine.  This weekend it's in the 80s so I'll be outside for some VO2 drills on Sat and a longer tempo ride on Sunday.  I'll run in there sometime too.  I have a speaking gig on Saturday which will break up things a bit.  Next weekend is a ride with Robbie Ventura of Vision Quest a former Lance Armstrong teammate on Postal and a party to celebrate the year with the VQ downstate gang.  It's going to be fun.  Then surgery on the 19th and a careful ramping up again into the winter workouts. Still trying to pick a half IM to focus on for next year.  The Muncie one would be too damn hot for me I think.  Thinking more of Racine or a new Rev3 in Wisconsin Dells or Branson in September. 

2011-10-09 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Hope everyone is having a good weekend..I enjoyed watching the live feed yesterday as Crowie was very impressive then watched Wellington hang on to win.. Dam I wish I could just run that fast..(lol) So what are everyone's plans in the near future..

I have a 10k in two weeks then a half marathon a couple of weeks after that...Hope you all have a great week..

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72