of 150

2011-04-15 12:30 AM
in reply to: #3447872

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-04-14 10:33 PM

So, I am in bike focus week and about to head into a recovery week. At the end of recovery week I am tempted to do a HM, that just happens to be going on in the town i'll be in for Easter. I will still have 8 weeks before my HIM and I would just use it as a long training run really.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Good idea/ bad idea?

My two main concerns would be injury risk and recovery.

Based on your logs, I don't think you will have too much trouble with it but how are you doing with aches and pains? Have you had any running related injuries that you might be pushing?

Have fast will you recover? It would not be a good time in the plan to take two recovery weeks in a row if the HM forces you to. One of the considerations when I ran a marathon a couple weeks ago was that it was right before a recovery week so no matter what I figured I would't lose too much training time.

At the end of the recovery week you are supposed to do a 10k race which for some can be almost as taxing as a HM depending on how hard you push it.

Personally, if something comes up (like your HM) they are life experiences too and as long as they do not derail your larger commitment to the HIM, than I'd do it. Would be a good confidence boost knowing you can go the distance and still have training time to get even fitter.

If you really want to do the race but do have concerns with the distance you may want to consider some run/walk strategy. There has been lots of discussion recently about it.

2011-04-15 5:26 AM
in reply to: #3446841

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
JoePetto - 2011-04-14 1:06 PM

It's strange but I tend to feel the worst during recovery weeks - maybe it is all that training catching up with me.

Well I went into my week 9 1000 yd swim TT with very low expectations and not much enthusiasm.  In week 13 I swam the TT at 17:03 (1:43/100 pace) and was stoked.  After doing a 200 yd warm up, I hunkered and had to HTFU! A 1000 yards later, the clock said 16:09 (1:36/100 pace)!!!!  I pushed hard for the last 200-300, but was astonished with the time. 

I'm very pumped needless to say, glad that I sucked it up. Hmmmm . . . maybe all this training stuff really worksTongue out

It's totally normal to feel worse during a recovery week and to feel less motivated to get your workouts done! Just one of those weird things that happen!

2011-04-15 5:35 AM
in reply to: #3447872

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

So, I am in bike focus week and about to head into a recovery week. At the end of recovery week I am tempted to do a HM, that just happens to be going on in the town i'll be in for Easter. I will still have 8 weeks before my HIM and I would just use it as a long training run really.

Well, my first reaction as a coach is to say "no". One of the hardest things to do when training for a HIM or IM is to give up the shorter, last-minute, just for fun, etc races that you have been able to jump into in the past. It might be ok if ANY of us had the ture ability to use a race as just a training run, but we aren't like that. That's what makes us triathletes - we can't help but push ourselves, and when we are racing it's very hard to "take it easy" since it's only a training day. That makes it even harder to recover, which is a big problem as you continue with your training plan.
Now, I also have experience as an athlete and I would want to do these types of things ALL the time. My coach always told me NO, and sometimes I listened.
In the end, it's up to you to make a wise decision based on whether you have any aches and pains, how you recover from your runs, how well you have been getting in all your training, and how risk-averse you are. Sometimes you just have to do stuff like this so you feel like training is fun and so you don't get burned out on the plan.

2011-04-15 7:36 AM
in reply to: #3447975

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-04-15 5:35 AM

Well, my first reaction as a coach is to say "no". One of the hardest things to do when training for a HIM or IM is to give up the shorter, last-minute, just for fun, etc races that you have been able to jump into in the past. It might be ok if ANY of us had the ture ability to use a race as just a training run, but we aren't like that. That's what makes us triathletes - we can't help but push ourselves, and when we are racing it's very hard to "take it easy" since it's only a training day. That makes it even harder to recover, which is a big problem as you continue with your training plan.
Now, I also have experience as an athlete and I would want to do these types of things ALL the time. My coach always told me NO, and sometimes I listened.
In the end, it's up to you to make a wise decision based on whether you have any aches and pains, how you recover from your runs, how well you have been getting in all your training, and how risk-averse you are. Sometimes you just have to do stuff like this so you feel like training is fun and so you don't get burned out on the plan.

I did a quick check of your logs as well and it looks like the longest you've gone distance wise recently was close to 10 miles.  Undoubtedly, you can do the distance, but what toll with that extra 30%+ distance take on your body and your ability to start packing on the hours after the recovery week? How's the course? Hilly? Race conditions?  You need to weigh the risks and the benefits. 

I'm finishing up my week #8 recovery and have opted for a flat 10K this Sunday to fire up the competitive juices so I understand the need to "get at it."  Jess and Pops know what they are talking about.  Weigh your best case scenario vs. your worst case scenario and see where you wind up. 

2011-04-15 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Regular
Beaumont, Alberta

Grrrrrr!!!!!! After 2 weeks of biking and running outside, we have snow again in Alberta. The thought of long runs and bike rides inside is totally unmotivational!!!! I guess its off to the gym again for a long session on the treadmill for me!! Hope it melts by Sunday! LOL

2011-04-15 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3448518

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
h9lfc - 2011-04-15 10:31 AM

Grrrrrr!!!!!! After 2 weeks of biking and running outside, we have snow again in Alberta. The thought of long runs and bike rides inside is totally unmotivational!!!! I guess its off to the gym again for a long session on the treadmill for me!! Hope it melts by Sunday! LOL

Yeah, totally crazy weather. We woke to an inch of snow the other morning. Normal average highs should be close to 60 around here and it was 43, raining, and blowing during my long run yesterday. Almost all my riding has been on the trainer and I can only imagine when I'm going to able to do an OWS. I was in the lake this time last year.

2011-04-15 12:13 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Just finishing up week 8 and still struggling to get outside to ride. All but two sessions have been on the trainer. Woke up to an inch of snow on the ground the other day and high temps still in the 40's. I noticed in the week 7 long ride which is two hours to only do 1.5 hours if on the trainer. I understand the perception that you get no break like coasting down a hill so you are pretty much grinding the whole time but in past years my pre-season trainer riding has not translated into anywhere near the road fitness that I expected. It just seems to take actual rode time to get my speeds back up. Some of this may be intensity on the trainer. I try to mix it up a bit with higher intensity intervals and when I'm just cruising along I watch my cadence and try to keep it above a certain threshold to make sure I'm not getting lazy on my ride. Bottom line is I'm getting worried about my bike leg for the race.

I'm in kind of a window of opportunity now over the next four to six weeks to make gains. A few weeks before the race wouldn't really matter. I want to be careful not to infringe on swim/run with a lot of extra riding time but would if I thought it would help. I'm also concerned that more trainer time just isn't a good substitute for actual road time. My HIM (Hawaii 70.3) course uses the North half of the Ironman in Kona so it can be tough. Lots of up and down and the winds can be brutal. The bike really makes or breaks the day. So would you ride more? Just keep to the plan? How would you adjust for trainer vs. road time?
2011-04-15 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3448788

User image

Expert

popsracer - 2011-04-15 12:13 PM Just finishing up week 8 and still struggling to get outside to ride. All but two sessions have been on the trainer. Woke up to an inch of snow on the ground the other day and high temps still in the 40's. I noticed in the week 7 long ride which is two hours to only do 1.5 hours if on the trainer. I understand the perception that you get no break like coasting down a hill so you are pretty much grinding the whole time but in past years my pre-season trainer riding has not translated into anywhere near the road fitness that I expected. It just seems to take actual rode time to get my speeds back up. Some of this may be intensity on the trainer. I try to mix it up a bit with higher intensity intervals and when I'm just cruising along I watch my cadence and try to keep it above a certain threshold to make sure I'm not getting lazy on my ride. Bottom line is I'm getting worried about my bike leg for the race. I'm in kind of a window of opportunity now over the next four to six weeks to make gains. A few weeks before the race wouldn't really matter. I want to be careful not to infringe on swim/run with a lot of extra riding time but would if I thought it would help. I'm also concerned that more trainer time just isn't a good substitute for actual road time. My HIM (Hawaii 70.3) course uses the North half of the Ironman in Kona so it can be tough. Lots of up and down and the winds can be brutal. The bike really makes or breaks the day. So would you ride more? Just keep to the plan? How would you adjust for trainer vs. road time?

Suffering from the trainer blues as well and am through Week 8 too.  Luckily my race (Eagleman 70.3) is pancake flat on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (but tends to be awfully windy).  I've been looking ahead on the schedule and have decided to look for opportunities to swap in extra outdoors rides when possible.  I'm not adding to my workout load but strategically considering where I can add a ride in the place of a run.  I'm not as worried about losing my running legs as I am as not being prepared for the bike leg (I'm not gonna touch the swims).

In your case, you might want to consider adding some short <1 hr mile hill repeats to the regime based on the hilly race course.  They burn like mad, but really build leg strength.  If you add in some strategic hill work, you should be fine, but try and avoid the temptation of junk miles (i.e., miles in lieu of rest).

As for trainer vs. road time, you can only do what the weather permits.  Doesn't Andy Potts spend log 70% of his miles on a trainer?

2011-04-15 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3448880

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
JoePetto - 2011-04-15 12:57 PM

As for trainer vs. road time, you can only do what the weather permits.  Doesn't Andy Potts spend log 70% of his miles on a trainer?

Yeah, but Andy probably has a coach with a whip standing next to him at all times.
2011-04-15 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I did my first tempo ride today.  It was 4x(12t, 3r).  I'm not sure if I did it right.  My 12 min was about 4mph faster than my 3 min rest.  Is this about right?  Should I be going as fast as i can for 12 min?  Or a couple mph slower than that?

Will tempo rides make me faster?!?  I'm sick of being slow.

Thanks

Christy

2011-04-15 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3448900

User image

Expert
popsracer - 2011-04-15 1:08 PM
JoePetto - 2011-04-15 12:57 PMAs for trainer vs. road time, you can only do what the weather permits.  Doesn't Andy Potts spend log 70% of his miles on a trainer?

Yeah, but Andy probably has a coach with a whip standing next to him at all times.
Touche. His power meter is probably set to distribute a low volt electric shock when his watts drop below the prescribed level.

2011-04-15 4:37 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

Christy, I have no idea....but someone will!

shhhhhh.....I left work an hour and a half early today to beat the rain that's coming. Today was scheduled as a rest day and tomorrow a 1:30 ride day, but with weather later this afternoon and all day tomorrow, I went ahead and swapped days. Glad I did. Had a great ride, albeit windy, but got to try out my new Hammer products and felt great with no stomach issues. Plenty of energy....just not enough power. At about 1:20 I thought to myslef, "What would I have done had I gotten a Kona lottery slot."

JG - Still excited for you this weekend. SBR Fast!!!

2011-04-15 4:41 PM
in reply to: #3449357

User image

Expert
, Michigan
JoePetto - 2011-04-15 5:36 PM
JoePetto - 2011-04-15 12:57 PMAs for trainer vs. road time, you can only do what the weather permits.  Doesn't Andy Potts spend log 70% of his miles on a trainer?

Touche. His power meter is probably set to distribute a low volt electric shock when his watts drop below the prescribed level.

That would be awesome!

2011-04-15 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3449367

User image

Veteran
Springs
JoePetto - 2011-04-15 5:36 PM

He used to do almost 100% on the trainer.  Don't forget he lives in Colorado Springs elevation 6300 ft. but just to the north it is more like 7000'.   I think the altitude helps too.

Edited by remodelig47 2011-04-15 7:11 PM
2011-04-16 12:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

So tomorrow is my first HIM.  In all honesty, I'm not really looking forward to it...  I'm not dreading it either but I think my body will be in shock with a very very very long workout.  The only workout I've done since I had an accident two weeks ago was 2 x 30min runs, 2x1.5hr ride on the trainer, and 1 30min swim yesterday.  Prior to that, I regularly swam 20m, rode 50miles, and ran 13.1mi on hills.  I know I can do all the distances since I have done them all.  Almost all of my workouts before the previous 2 weeks were bricks as well.  I've read that there's not much fitness to be gained in the next 2 weeks prior to the race but I feel like I lost some fitness along the way since I had a week lay off and had 5 workouts thereafter prior to race day.

I also drove the bike route today and there were definitely hills...  Bike course had 1940ft of elevation and run has 1600ft.  Needless to say, I got my work cut out for me.  Plan is to take it easy on the swim and bike then push it on the run.  Hydrate well and take in 250 calories on the bike.  Forget time goals!  I'll be happy if I finish under 7 hours.  Damn training buddies is telling me I can break 6 hours but I'm not betting on it. 

Wish me luck!  I think I'll need it but once the adrenalin kicks in, performance might go in overdrive...

2011-04-16 1:15 AM
in reply to: #3449790

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
arkmann - 2011-04-16 12:08 AM

So tomorrow is my first HIM.  In all honesty, I'm not really looking forward to it...  I'm not dreading it either but I think my body will be in shock with a very very very long workout.  The only workout I've done since I had an accident two weeks ago was 2 x 30min runs, 2x1.5hr ride on the trainer, and 1 30min swim yesterday.  Prior to that, I regularly swam 20m, rode 50miles, and ran 13.1mi on hills.  I know I can do all the distances since I have done them all.  Almost all of my workouts before the previous 2 weeks were bricks as well.  I've read that there's not much fitness to be gained in the next 2 weeks prior to the race but I feel like I lost some fitness along the way since I had a week lay off and had 5 workouts thereafter prior to race day.

I also drove the bike route today and there were definitely hills...  Bike course had 1940ft of elevation and run has 1600ft.  Needless to say, I got my work cut out for me.  Plan is to take it easy on the swim and bike then push it on the run.  Hydrate well and take in 250 calories on the bike.  Forget time goals!  I'll be happy if I finish under 7 hours.  Damn training buddies is telling me I can break 6 hours but I'm not betting on it. 

Wish me luck!  I think I'll need it but once the adrenalin kicks in, performance might go in overdrive...

You'll be amazing. Best of luck to you.

2011-04-16 7:03 AM

Expert

Good luck! We're all rooting for you

2011-04-16 7:08 AM

User image

Bronze member

Just think back to all those weeks and weeks of hard work. Do you really think they will just disappear in two weeks? No way. The rest gave  your body the necessary time it needed to heal and repair. Now you are ready to race. Sounds like maybe you are now fighting the mental battle. That happens to me before every race. I start to think I don't care how I finish, why did I sign up for this, I'm not really excited, I'd rather stay home etc. It is a real mental struggle. Just concentrate on enjoying your experience every step of the way.

Best of luck - you will do great!

2011-04-16 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

That makes two racers this weekend from our group!

Arkman, are you taking in 250 calories an hour, or 250 calories total on the bike?

You'll be amazed at what your trained body will do for you. Sub 6 is definately dooable. STAY MENTALLY STRONG! Don't let the creepers creep into your head and tell you you can't. YOU CAN, YOU WILL, and we can't wait to hear about it!

Have fun :-)

Man am I excited for you racers! Go get em' !!!!!

2011-04-16 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA
My name is Linda.  I am doing my first HIM in October (Poconos).  I am going to start the Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan the first week of May.  I am only in my second year of doing triathlons, but I have been a runner for about 5 years.  I bought a new bike last week (Scott Contessa CR1 Team).  I love it, but I have never had clip-on shoes and pedals before.  It is quite a challenge, but I am getting better.  I would love to join and follow this forum for any tips I can get.  Good luck to those of you racing this weekend!
2011-04-16 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3450091

User image

Expert
starrlinda - 2011-04-16 11:12 AMMy name is Linda.  I am doing my first HIM in October (Poconos).  I am going to start the Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan the first week of May.  I am only in my second year of doing triathlons, but I have been a runner for about 5 years.  I bought a new bike last week (Scott Contessa CR1 Team).  I love it, but I have never had clip-on shoes and pedals before.  It is quite a challenge, but I am getting better.  I would love to join and follow this forum for any tips I can get.  Good luck to those of you racing this weekend!
Welcome, Linda. I'm around the corner from you in Whitemarsh. Lots to learn so don't hesitate to ask.

2011-04-16 6:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

Yep, I was right, I should have listened to my body and probably DNS the race.  I thought I had a pretty good swim.  I think I did it in 37min or maybe 40, I'm not sure.  The bike was brutal....  Here's the bike route: 

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/e3eda29fdec84b84aa1ecd59f64a083f

I think I did ok on the bike.  I think I did it in 3-3:15 hours.  I didn't keep track.  I took it easy on the last 6 miles of the bike since I wanted to save energy for the run.

Then it was time for the run.  During the T2, I was already feeling that I will have a very hard time on the run.  Boy was I right...  The first 2 miles were manageable.  I think the saved energy from the bike helped.  Then mile 3 came...  Mile 3 to mile 11 was on an a trail on the side of the mountain.  The terrain was made of gravel and dirt...  Man that was a pain in the butt to finish.  My whole body is pretty much aching from it.  During the run, I had a recurring side stitch, then there was the ankle ache, then the knee ache, then the lower back ache, then the shoulder ache.  I also developed blisters on my toes.  I am not proud to say this but I was reduced to run-walking and majority of it was walking. I was taking in nutrition at each aid station hoping that my body can recover from the fatigue but it didn't happen.

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/1c9eba035fea454cbac7752d8952348a

Although I had the hardest race I've ever done, I'm glad I did it.  I found out what I was capable of mentally.  I already know that I have a strong mind but today, I pushed myself to the absolute limit.  I told myself that I would finish in 6.5 hours or more and MORE happened.  I finished close to 7 hours, something like 6:55 hours I think.  Regrets?  Not really.  The race is done and I did it.  I wish I listened to myself when I was having second thoughts on doing the race. 

My goals for the race changed today.  My first goal was to finish the race in one piece.  No crashes, bruises, and stitches.  I did that by being extra careful on the bike.  When I started the run, I knew I knew I can still do 6 hours but then my body just caved in.  I wanted to finish in 6.5 hours but that was moot since my body didn't agree.  At midpoint of the run, I just wanted to finish and take in the surroundings and try to have fun.  The fun part didn't really happen.  I know I am capable of a 6 hour HIM or even a 5.5 (far fetched) but circumstances like 2 bike crashes in the past 6 weeks didn't help.  Oh well, you live and you learn.

Never do a super challenging first HIM!!!

Edited by arkmann 2011-04-16 6:13 PM
2011-04-16 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3450465

Expert
arkmann - 2011-04-16 6:10 PM

Yep, I was right, I should have listened to my body and probably DNS the race.  I thought I had a pretty good swim.  I think I did it in 37min or maybe 40, I'm not sure.  The bike was brutal....  Here's the bike route: 

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/e3eda29fdec84b84aa1ecd59f64a083f

I think I did ok on the bike.  I think I did it in 3-3:15 hours.  I didn't keep track.  I took it easy on the last 6 miles of the bike since I wanted to save energy for the run.

Then it was time for the run.  During the T2, I was already feeling that I will have a very hard time on the run.  Boy was I right...  The first 2 miles were manageable.  I think the saved energy from the bike helped.  Then mile 3 came...  Mile 3 to mile 11 was on an a trail on the side of the mountain.  The terrain was made of gravel and dirt...  Man that was a pain in the butt to finish.  My whole body is pretty much aching from it.  During the run, I had a recurring side stitch, then there was the ankle ache, then the knee ache, then the lower back ache, then the shoulder ache.  I also developed blisters on my toes.  I am not proud to say this but I was reduced to run-walking and majority of it was walking. I was taking in nutrition at each aid station hoping that my body can recover from the fatigue but it didn't happen.

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/1c9eba035fea454cbac7752d8952348a

Although I had the hardest race I've ever done, I'm glad I did it.  I found out what I was capable of mentally.  I already know that I have a strong mind but today, I pushed myself to the absolute limit.  I told myself that I would finish in 6.5 hours or more and MORE happened.  I finished close to 7 hours, something like 6:55 hours I think.  Regrets?  Not really.  The race is done and I did it.  I wish I listened to myself when I was having second thoughts on doing the race. 

My goals for the race changed today.  My first goal was to finish the race in one piece.  No crashes, bruises, and stitches.  I did that by being extra careful on the bike.  When I started the run, I knew I knew I can still do 6 hours but then my body just caved in.  I wanted to finish in 6.5 hours but that was moot since my body didn't agree.  At midpoint of the run, I just wanted to finish and take in the surroundings and try to have fun.  The fun part didn't really happen.  I know I am capable of a 6 hour HIM or even a 5.5 (far fetched) but circumstances like 2 bike crashes in the past 6 weeks didn't help.  Oh well, you live and you learn.

Never do a super challenging first HIM!!!

Great job man.  A great outcome in my opinion.  Awesome day and am pretty damn happy for you given your training course.  Being mentally strong is huge and you've proven it.  My race in T- 8 hours!  GREAT JOB AGAIN!

2011-04-17 6:01 AM
in reply to: #3450766

User image

Expert
Arkmannn - Big props for gutting it out and finishing like a warrior. This will be one of those experiences which I bet you will learn a tremendous amount from. Many times it is during the worst times that we learn the most about ourselves. You left everything you had on the course so leave you might as well leave your time there as well. Take umbrage in the fact that you accomplished a goal so few people ever accomplish.
2011-04-17 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Congrats on gutting it out arkmann. Sounds like a day to remember as your first HIM! Regardless of your perception....YOU ARE A HALF IRONMAN!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150