BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-03-14 5:38 AM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED

So how is everyones training going?  Some of our southern friends have their tri season starting. 

2012-03-14 7:40 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Well....crap! I had another bad computrainer session last night. To be fair, I was sick last weekend and skipped some bikes and swims. I've scaled back the long run on Sundays from 17 to 14 miles. My Monday workout is an easy recovery pace. If I move my long run to Saturday I've got to figure out where to put my medium speed work run, that's currently on Friday. Man.....this stuff is a real pain to figure out, I know why coaches are worth the $$$ now. Right now, I just don't know what to do here, what I'm doing is clearly not working. I'm not sure how to fit all these workouts in and stay fresh enough that they are actually "quality" workouts! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........
2012-03-14 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4094116

User image

Regular
Denver
kenj - 2012-03-13 11:00 AM

My training has taken a bit of a set back in the past couple of days.  Cry  I have been having a minor shoulder issue when swimming and a little bit when doing push ups lately, but nothing that was a big issue if I was careful not to over extend it.  Sunday I beleive when walking the dog she took off trying to get to another dog and gave the arm a good pull.  Didn't think much of it at the time but by Sunday night it felt like the left shoulder joint was full of gravel and over night it really starte aching. 

I went to see my primary doctor yesterday and she reffered me to the ortho doc's.  Originally they couldn't see me until the 26th, but they called this morning and can get me in this afternoon.  That is a good thing since I have almost no range of motion side ways or backwards. Towards the front not too bad.  Ice and advil is keeping the pain in check mostly, but it is still uncomfortable.  I was able to do a run with it yesterday on the treadmill and ride the bike this morning as long as I didnt go on to the aero bars I was ok.  We'll see what they say. 

Hugs Ken!  So sorry to hear about your shoulder!!!  Hoping it settles and you are able to get back to your amazing training sessions!  Thinking of you! ~Carla

2012-03-14 8:02 AM
in reply to: #4095580

User image

Regular
Denver

Meulen - 2012-03-14 7:40 AM Well....crap! I had another bad computrainer session last night. To be fair, I was sick last weekend and skipped some bikes and swims. I've scaled back the long run on Sundays from 17 to 14 miles. My Monday workout is an easy recovery pace. If I move my long run to Saturday I've got to figure out where to put my medium speed work run, that's currently on Friday. Man.....this stuff is a real pain to figure out, I know why coaches are worth the $$$ now. Right now, I just don't know what to do here, what I'm doing is clearly not working. I'm not sure how to fit all these workouts in and stay fresh enough that they are actually "quality" workouts! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Meulen - ...or... you can let the missed workouts go.  I trained with a coach that says not to try to juggle your training sessions to recover a missed workout.  They assume that if you MISS any workout that it is for a good reason (injury, illness, mental fatigue). 

So, in the past, if I have missed a work out, it's gone... move on... do the current workout and try to get back to  your consistency. 

...because it is stressful trying to retro-fit in workouts that were not done.  :/   Hugs!

2012-03-14 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4095435

User image

Regular
Denver
kenj - 2012-03-14 5:38 AM

So how is everyones training going?  Some of our southern friends have their tri season starting. 

I have a unique situation... weather in Colorado has been STELLAR, yet I am struggling with all of my might to transition my workouts from "Inside:  Trainer/Treadmill" to "Outside".

Everyone is so very excited, happy and relieved, and I have felt stressed out to the absolute MAXIMUM.

After my coach just short of coming over to my house and taking my bike off the trainer I have managed to locate my outdoor gear.  I did buy a new helmet and glasses as incentive to ride outside.  It's just a huge hassel for me to do a 60 mile self supported ride where I'm far away from home right now. 

Help.

2012-03-14 8:13 AM
in reply to: #4095637

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-14 8:02 AM

Meulen - 2012-03-14 7:40 AM Well....crap! I had another bad computrainer session last night. To be fair, I was sick last weekend and skipped some bikes and swims. I've scaled back the long run on Sundays from 17 to 14 miles. My Monday workout is an easy recovery pace. If I move my long run to Saturday I've got to figure out where to put my medium speed work run, that's currently on Friday. Man.....this stuff is a real pain to figure out, I know why coaches are worth the $$$ now. Right now, I just don't know what to do here, what I'm doing is clearly not working. I'm not sure how to fit all these workouts in and stay fresh enough that they are actually "quality" workouts! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Meulen - ...or... you can let the missed workouts go.  I trained with a coach that says not to try to juggle your training sessions to recover a missed workout.  They assume that if you MISS any workout that it is for a good reason (injury, illness, mental fatigue). 

So, in the past, if I have missed a work out, it's gone... move on... do the current workout and try to get back to  your consistency. 

...because it is stressful trying to retro-fit in workouts that were not done.  :/   Hugs!

thanks Carla. I'm not trying to make up workouts or squeeze one in really. This is a weekly thing for me I'm trying to figure out. I don't really have the time it takes for long runs or rides during the week. I have to do them on the weekend. I'm having trouble recovering from my long runs in time to get quality workouts in the rest of the week. I'm not sure why I can't recover in a 48 hour period from long runs. This shouldn't be an issue, I'm either doing something wrong or am just retarded!

2012-03-14 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4095644

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-14 8:06 AM

I have a unique situation... weather in Colorado has been STELLAR, yet I am struggling with all of my might to transition my workouts from "Inside:  Trainer/Treadmill" to "Outside".

Everyone is so very excited, happy and relieved, and I have felt stressed out to the absolute MAXIMUM.

After my coach just short of coming over to my house and taking my bike off the trainer I have managed to locate my outdoor gear.  I did buy a new helmet and glasses as incentive to ride outside.  It's just a huge hassel for me to do a 60 mile self supported ride where I'm far away from home right now. 

Help.

Find a group to ride with!!

I don't find the need so much to ride outside, but I do like to. By the time I'm home I don't get much daylight anyway. You can get better workouts done indoors anyhow.
2012-03-14 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4095580

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Meulen - 2012-03-14 8:40 AM Well....crap! I had another bad computrainer session last night. To be fair, I was sick last weekend and skipped some bikes and swims. I've scaled back the long run on Sundays from 17 to 14 miles. My Monday workout is an easy recovery pace. If I move my long run to Saturday I've got to figure out where to put my medium speed work run, that's currently on Friday. Man.....this stuff is a real pain to figure out, I know why coaches are worth the $$$ now. Right now, I just don't know what to do here, what I'm doing is clearly not working. I'm not sure how to fit all these workouts in and stay fresh enough that they are actually "quality" workouts! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

The only thing that I could suggest that we haven't already discussed is maybe backing off the bike intensity 5% or so.  I would think if you are feeling good it is easier to take it back up the next interval than to push it and crash?

2012-03-14 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4095662

User image

Regular
Denver
Meulen - 2012-03-14 8:17 AM

Help.

Find a group to ride with!! I don't find the need so much to ride outside, but I do like to. By the time I'm home I don't get much daylight anyway. You can get better workouts done indoors anyhow.

Ding, Ding, Ding ::: Bells sounding :::  My POINT exactly!!!  I, personally, do WAY better work inside... not to mention I have the comfort and warmth of my home!   I think it's important to ride outside because it is a different feel, but I don't feel like I need to force this. 

2012-03-14 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4095644

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-14 9:06 AM

Help.

I agree with Brian on finding a group to ride with if you can, I know that when I was in CA I would ride with the local bike shops weekend group rides which were usually 40 - 50 miles long.  When I needed to ramp up the training to 60 - 70 and even when it went over 100 I could always find someone to tag along for part of the ride if not all. 

I also agree to some degree with Brian on the trainer not being a bad training tool, especially during the week.  The convenience factor alone allows me to accomplish more time in the saddle.  But with your race being a somewhat hillier than most IM's and you living in CO, some time out in the hills would be of great value to your training. 

2012-03-14 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Ken

Sorry to hear about the shoulder..Take care of it and do the PT..In 2001 I had reconstructive surgery on the right then winter 2010 busted it up again mountain biking so now I have a grade 2 ac joint separation. So from being there do the PT and it will help..Shoulder rehab is much harder than a knee trust me I have been pieced back together over the years..Keep us inform on how you are doing.

Safe travels..

2012-03-14 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4095682

User image

Regular
Denver
kenj - 2012-03-14 8:28 AM

Help.

I agree with Brian on finding a group to ride with if you can, I know that when I was in CA I would ride with the local bike shops weekend group rides which were usually 40 - 50 miles long.  When I needed to ramp up the training to 60 - 70 and even when it went over 100 I could always find someone to tag along for part of the ride if not all. 

I also agree to some degree with Brian on the trainer not being a bad training tool, especially during the week.  The convenience factor alone allows me to accomplish more time in the saddle.  But with your race being a somewhat hillier than most IM's and you living in CO, some time out in the hills would be of great value to your training. 

If I could keep up with a group I wouldn't have this problem... I get dropped even by recreational groups and they don't ride 60 Miles. This has been my life long challenge. Not sure what to do until I can ride faster.
2012-03-14 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4095669

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kenj - 2012-03-14 8:23 AM

Meulen - 2012-03-14 8:40 AM Well....crap! I had another bad computrainer session last night. To be fair, I was sick last weekend and skipped some bikes and swims. I've scaled back the long run on Sundays from 17 to 14 miles. My Monday workout is an easy recovery pace. If I move my long run to Saturday I've got to figure out where to put my medium speed work run, that's currently on Friday. Man.....this stuff is a real pain to figure out, I know why coaches are worth the $$$ now. Right now, I just don't know what to do here, what I'm doing is clearly not working. I'm not sure how to fit all these workouts in and stay fresh enough that they are actually "quality" workouts! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

The only thing that I could suggest that we haven't already discussed is maybe backing off the bike intensity 5% or so.  I would think if you are feeling good it is easier to take it back up the next interval than to push it and crash?

that's what I ended up doing last night. Instead of using a 270 CP for the workout, after the first interval, it was appearant to me I wasn't going to complete the workout there. So I backed off and used 250. I had a little extra at the end and brought it back up. I'm just worried just "making it through" these workouts aren't going to help me much. I'd much rather be fresher, coming in. I don't think it's a volume problem, I just keep thinking I could schedule this better. BUt everytime I reschedule one workout it effects another!
2012-03-14 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4095740

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-14 8:54 AM

kenj - 2012-03-14 8:28 AM

Help.

If I could keep up with a group I wouldn't have this problem... I get dropped even by recreational groups and they don't ride 60 Miles. This has been my life long challenge. Not sure what to do until I can ride faster.

keep going with them! It will suck at first, but eventually you will keep up with them!

or, find another group. But you should try to find one slightly faster than you.
2012-03-14 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4095728

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2012-03-14 9:49 AM

Ken

Sorry to hear about the shoulder..Take care of it and do the PT..In 2001 I had reconstructive surgery on the right then winter 2010 busted it up again mountain biking so now I have a grade 2 ac joint separation. So from being there do the PT and it will help..Shoulder rehab is much harder than a knee trust me I have been pieced back together over the years..Keep us inform on how you are doing.

Safe travels..

Thanks for the advice Tim, sounds like you have a solid relationship with your ortho docs! 

2012-03-15 4:37 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Morning all!  Almost the weekend!

2012-03-15 5:41 AM
in reply to: #4095675

User image

Expert
Illinois
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-14 8:26 AM
Meulen - 2012-03-14 8:17 AM

Help.

Find a group to ride with!! I don't find the need so much to ride outside, but I do like to. By the time I'm home I don't get much daylight anyway. You can get better workouts done indoors anyhow.

Ding, Ding, Ding ::: Bells sounding :::  My POINT exactly!!!  I, personally, do WAY better work inside... not to mention I have the comfort and warmth of my home!   I think it's important to ride outside because it is a different feel, but I don't feel like I need to force this. 

Agree with this, my indoor bike sessions are so much more focused. Outdoors in the group I fall into the social thing and sort of lollygag along.

2012-03-15 5:43 AM
in reply to: #4097065

User image

Expert
Illinois
kenj - 2012-03-15 4:37 AM

Morning Ken, I am sorry about your shoulder problems. Hope the cortisone shot does its magic. 

Was sick earlier this week and missed some workouts but not too worried about it, as it's early enough in the season that they shouldn't have much of an impact. 

2012-03-15 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4097084

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
abake - 2012-03-15 6:43 AM

Morning Ken, I am sorry about your shoulder problems. Hope the cortisone shot does its magic. 

Was sick earlier this week and missed some workouts but not too worried about it, as it's early enough in the season that they shouldn't have much of an impact. 

For us northerners you are right, still a lot of time left before our season kicks off!  The nice weather makes it easy to forget that. 

Glad you are feeling better Anne!

2012-03-15 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4097065

User image

Regular
Denver

60 Mile Bike (Max Distance) effort on tap for Saturday, wish me luck! Need to ride this sub 5 hours!
2012-03-15 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4097522

User image

Expert
Hope it gets better fast Ken. Carla the weather here has been great too and I am more sluggish than ever about getting out terrible isn't it? I was traveling to NYC the last two days for work and I am exhausted. I don't know how people do it!

2012-03-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4097933

User image

Regular
Denver
gator22 - 2012-03-15 1:30 PMHope it gets better fast Ken. Carla the weather here has been great too and I am more sluggish than ever about getting out terrible isn't it? I was traveling to NYC the last two days for work and I am exhausted. I don't know how people do it!
Gator - We have to do this! Tell me when your next scheduled ride is. I am NOT all that excited about it believe me!
2012-03-15 1:48 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Somebody was asking me about my training schedule the other day and asked me that exact question "how do you do all that?" I told them it's kind of a catch 22. If I didn't do it, I wouldn't have the energy to do it. But since I do......I have energy to do it and then some!
2012-03-15 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4097978

User image

Regular
Denver
Meulen - 2012-03-15 1:48 PMSomebody was asking me about my training schedule the other day and asked me that exact question "how do you do all that?" I told them it's kind of a catch 22. If I didn't do it, I wouldn't have the energy to do it. But since I do......I have energy to do it and then some!
...yeah, "Sitting Around" is exhausting! Been working a few too many hours!
2012-03-15 6:43 PM
in reply to: #4097966

User image

Expert
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-15 1:44 PM
gator22 - 2012-03-15 1:30 PMHope it gets better fast Ken. Carla the weather here has been great too and I am more sluggish than ever about getting out terrible isn't it? I was traveling to NYC the last two days for work and I am exhausted. I don't know how people do it!
Gator - We have to do this! Tell me when your next scheduled ride is. I am NOT all that excited about it believe me!
I forced myself to ride this afternoon Carla. I am better for it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72