BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-01-10 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
Through reading and experience I have developed my own opinion on when to place the long run in relation to the long bike.  I believe there are three different answers depending upon your training experience at a certain distance.

1.  Seperate the long run and bike so that you can get better quality workouts.  I think the people that say this are those who have done multiple Ironmen and can handle the distances fairly easy come race day.  They are looking to get faster not looking to finish.

2.  Long run should be done the day after a long bike so that you can practice running on fatigued legs.    If you have some experience running and biking the distance, but can't quite put the two together yet I think it is a good idea to do some fatigued running.  These people are looking to finish strongly.

3.  Seperate the two so that you can build mileage in both events.  I think this is a good idea for those whose goals exceed their current level of fitness and experience. This is where I was last year.  I tried the fatigue running by I wasn't capable of running the necessary distances stand alone yet.  Back to back proved to be too much for me to handle during such a fast build..  These people are looking to survive the day.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on when to place the long run in relation to the long bike.  By no means scientific or anything like.  Just my 2 cents.

Edited by ray6foot7 2011-01-10 3:11 PM

2011-01-10 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3288556

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-01-09 3:10 AM

I have been doing the following (pretty closely):

M - Swim 2000-2500  Run 4 miles with speed work
T - Bike (Jorge's challenge) Run 6 miles easy
W - Swim 2000-2500 Run 4 miles tempo
Th - Bike (Jorge's challenge) Run 6 miles easy
F - day off
S - Bike (Jorge's challenge) Run 6 miles easy
Sun - Bike long, Run long (try to swim)

The run - I'm loosely following the half marathon plan from this site to prepare for a half marathon at the end of February. I am also trying to follow the "run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard" adage.

Any suggestions?

This is A LOT of volume!!  Do you really need to do all these workouts?  ...or do you just enjoy working out this much? :-)  My concern would be injury or burn out if you keep this up. 

Since your next two races (Feb & April) are run races I would concentrate on the run.  I would go light on the bike and swim and then in the March time frame start up a 30 week HIM plan.

If you are not familiar with periodization, do a search on "triathlon periodization".
2011-01-10 6:36 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Great feedback - thank you all.

To answer Rene - no, I don't need to do all of this volume - I just feel like I need to make up for lost time (not having done anything remotely athletic for the first 42 years of my life) and build a significant base before the HIM in September. I am concerned that I may be biting off more than I can chew...the total fatigue I felt on Sunday after my run and definitely after my swim really hit me hard. A bike was in the cards and I literally couldn't face it.

I also really enjoy training - but I think I may be at the limit of what I can handle without burning out.
2011-01-10 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
I agree that looks like alot of volume for a winter program.  Running 6 days a week with that kind of volume in other sports is similar to what I believe was part of my injury, but I didn't build up to the volume either.  I would say back off on some running because it takes the most time to recover and could result in more severe injuries, but Rene made a good point that your early races are running and focusing on that now would probably be the route I would take.  I have also read that biking is great for running (at the longer distance tris, and is less stressful on the body so you can do more volume, that is what I will be focusing on if I can begin to slowing ramp up volume.

I think the volume you put in last year and continue to do you will not have any problem with your upcoming HIM.  Recovery is vital at these levels so listen to your body.  Your body needs to absorb the volume or you might not see the maximum benefit from all your hard work.
2011-01-11 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3288556

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-01-09 6:10 PM Got a question...for the winter, I had planned on the following workout schedule - but after struggling with it for the last few weeks (the last week of December excluded since I *decided* to cram all the last minute distance into that final week), I have come to the conclusion that it's not working.

I have been doing the following (pretty closely):

M - Swim 2000-2500  Run 4 miles with speed work
T - Bike (Jorge's challenge) Run 6 miles easy
W - Swim 2000-2500 Run 4 miles tempo
Th - Bike (Jorge's challenge) Run 6 miles easy
F - day off
S - Bike (Jorge's challenge) Run 6 miles easy
Sun - Bike long, Run long (try to swim)

Sometimes I will swap the regular bike with the long bike so I don't have to do a long bike and a long run on the same day - but this is the only way I can figure out how to fit in 3 swims + 4 bikes + 6 runs...the big problem is I am WIPED on Sunday and am having a really hard time fitting in the third workout that day.

I'm not following any specific plan for the swim - two of the swim days are random workouts that I have found that seem fun, the third swim day is long and steady

The run - I'm loosely following the half marathon plan from this site to prepare for a half marathon at the end of February. I am also trying to follow the "run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard" adage.

Any suggestions?

I would swim M/F. Do the long run on Tuesday. Keep Sunday as a brick. Long run + short run. Shoot for 5 runs, 2 swims, 3 bikes. Ideally run every day but that is not realistic.

2011-01-11 10:33 PM

User image

Elite

I can not remember who was having cycling palsy, but how was it fixed? Just a new position? My TT bike is great, but since I have been riding my road bike more on the roller recently, my right hand has gone numb. This has happened in the past, but I could always swap positions or 'shake it out.'

2011-01-12 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3286297

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2011-01-07 6:37 PM Personal, non-tri post coming, so feel free to fast forward.  This is more of a therapeutic exercise for me than anything. 

Thanks everyone all for your thoughts.  It's been a very stressful and emotional week at work.  I've been at a startup from day 2 (not quite day 1 but very close!) and we just got acquired in a distress type sale.  The new group is really gutting the personnel to get some profit out, and is targeting only a small percentage of people to go forward in some new roles.  Personally, I'm very fortunate, but so many of my close friends and most of my work and effort over the past 8 years is being flushed.  That part is really tough.

My workouts have been hard to fit in with all the lunches and dinners they've been subjecting me to. It's been exhausting as they suck my brain for information and ideas, as well as wine and dine me trying to convince me to stay on.  Hopefully next week will be easier, but I'm still trying to decide whether to stay on or jump ship to another great opportunity. 

I realize I'm ridiculously fortunate to still have a job and actually have great options at such a tough time for so many.  On the positive side, I've been able to get jobs already for several of the engineers who were let go.

Hope things look up for you Warren.  Glad you are grateful to have a job because it is crazy out there.  Hang in there bro, this too shall pass.
2011-01-12 12:46 PM

User image

NH
Thanks Rene and all.  It continues to be crazy and I'm missing workouts all over the place and eating like a biggest loser winner after falling off the wagon!  If I get taken out to any more lunches or dinners I'm gonna pop.  Do any of you have travel-type jobs where eating out is common?  I can't imagine staying disciplined with that option.

Aaron, I've had cycling palsy, but in my feet.  An Adamo saddle solved that completely, but I doubt that would help with hands.
2011-01-12 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3293833

User image

Veteran
Richmond
aarondavidson - 2011-01-11 10:33 PM

I can not remember who was having cycling palsy, but how was it fixed? Just a new position? My TT bike is great, but since I have been riding my road bike more on the roller recently, my right hand has gone numb. This has happened in the past, but I could always swap positions or 'shake it out.'

I had the handlebar palsy this past spring.  I finally got rid of it by getting a bike fit done at the bike shop and they put on tri bars as well, so it took alot of pressure off at that time.  I haven't had any issues with it since.
2011-01-12 10:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
alright guys...took a big step tonight in my journey to my first Olympic distance (small beans compared to the races you all do Smile).

I ordered my wetsuit tonight - so I'm locked in now and no turning back! I figure buying the wetsuit and registering for the race when I'm able to gives me no other choice! plus the BT Survey code for $250 off any full-sleeve wetsuit was something I couldn't pass up!

Sept. 25 is the day.   http://www.elephantmantriathlon.com/       this is the hardest race in NM because of the bike course and run course. But, I'm lucky - this is where my vacation house is and where I ride a lot.

anyways - just excited and wanted to share the news with you all.
2011-01-13 5:26 AM
in reply to: #3296265

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Woot Jeremy! That's great! I think signing up for the race is a big step...there's no turning back now. It should be a great race - I have heard good things about it and Elephant Butte is a fantastic lake...great job!

2011-01-13 11:30 AM

User image

NH
Awesome news Jeremy.  And don't sell Oly distance short.  It seems like the pain of an Olympic distance can be intense since it's too long to go all out like a sprint but not so long that you have to really rein it in like a half or full.

It's awesome that you get to ride the course, that can be a huge advantage and certainly gives you a comfort level.
2011-01-14 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3296265

User image

Expert
WA
barelfly - 2011-01-12 8:31 AM alright guys...took a big step tonight in my journey to my first Olympic distance (small beans compared to the races you all do Smile).

I ordered my wetsuit tonight - so I'm locked in now and no turning back! I figure buying the wetsuit and registering for the race when I'm able to gives me no other choice! plus the BT Survey code for $250 off any full-sleeve wetsuit was something I couldn't pass up!

Sept. 25 is the day.   http://www.elephantmantriathlon.com/       this is the hardest race in NM because of the bike course and run course. But, I'm lucky - this is where my vacation house is and where I ride a lot.

anyways - just excited and wanted to share the news with you all.

Awesome!  Congratulations for taking the risk and having the confidence to take on something you haven't done before.  You will do great!
2011-01-14 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3291148

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-01-10 4:36 AM Great feedback - thank you all.

To answer Rene - no, I don't need to do all of this volume - I just feel like I need to make up for lost time (not having done anything remotely athletic for the first 42 years of my life) and build a significant base before the HIM in September. I am concerned that I may be biting off more than I can chew...the total fatigue I felt on Sunday after my run and definitely after my swim really hit me hard. A bike was in the cards and I literally couldn't face it.

I also really enjoy training - but I think I may be at the limit of what I can handle without burning out.

I think it is good you caught yourself this soon.  Some people over train, burn out then just quit.  I think it is good to listen to your body and gauge what you are capable of. 

I can understand your desire to make up for lost time, but staying consistent is more important right now.  As your race gets closer you can turn up the volume.  I am also trying to run the short runs everyday when I can, but for me that rule applies to days you do nothing or if your other workout is short. 
If you are a reader, check out the book "Going Long", it is very informational.

Best of luck Jen! You can do this!! Smile
2011-01-14 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3295040

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
wbayek - 2011-01-12 1:46 PM Thanks Rene and all.  It continues to be crazy and I'm missing workouts all over the place and eating like a biggest loser winner after falling off the wagon!  If I get taken out to any more lunches or dinners I'm gonna pop.  Do any of you have travel-type jobs where eating out is common?  I can't imagine staying disciplined with that option.

Aaron, I've had cycling palsy, but in my feet.  An Adamo saddle solved that completely, but I doubt that would help with hands.

Warren, I'm having the same issue.  So many people are leaving my company, it seems like we have a going away happy hour every week.  We had one last night for a good friend of mine that went very late and I'm feeling the effects today.  No workouts today, although it probably would have made me feel better.  I used to travel quite a bit at my last job and the pounds pile on very quickly.  That was before my triathlon days, but it's tough to eat healthy on the road.  Hang in there and don't worry about the short term missed workouts... we do this for fun, right? 
2011-01-14 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Way to go, Jeremy!  Signing up for a race is a big step and really helps with the motivation.  I still don't have a race on my calendar for 2011 and my motivation is at an all time low.  I'm starting to get my mojo back, but having that carrot out there to chase really gets the juices flowing.  And don't sell yourself short... Olympic is a looong distance and a great achievement anyone who can finish it.

2011-01-14 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Let the games begin! I just signed up for my first 2 races.  The first is a 5k that my wife and I both are going to do.  The other is a sprint tri on May 7th.

http://www.piranha-sports.com/Race122.aspx

I like that it is on the long end of the sprint distance (0.4 Mile Swim~20.5 Mile Bike~4 Mile Run).  I feel my motivation increasing already. 
2011-01-15 11:58 AM

User image

NH
It's great to see people starting to get some races on the books for 2011.  And of course we know CDA is out there.  I have nothing really planned yet, but I'm doing a 5k with my sister May 1.  She's doing the couch to 5k plan and I told her I'd run the race with her to motivate her to keep up with training and finish the race.  I'm pumped she's off the couch!
2011-01-15 3:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
hey guys. quick question -

just got the wet suit. looks cool and fits great - nice and tight!  only thing missing was the built in six pack

how do you guys store your wetsuit? hanger, folded in a bag?

any info would be appreciated. thanks.
2011-01-15 6:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Great to hear the TRIbe is getting revved up for the 2011 season and signing up for some races and new distances.

I hang my wetsuit up with a hanger, I've see them in the store that way so I figured it was ok to do.

Aaron - cycling palsy - I also got some gel gloves for training, but stopped wearing them for races because of the extra hassle in transition wasn't worth it.  I also did alot of wrist range of motion exercises:

http://www.womenfitness.net/beauty/handfeet/handlebarpalsy.htm

GO TEAM!!
2011-01-15 7:17 PM
in reply to: #3301766

User image

Elite

barelfly - 2011-01-15 4:59 PM hey guys. quick question -

just got the wet suit. looks cool and fits great - nice and tight!  only thing missing was the built in six pack

how do you guys store your wetsuit? hanger, folded in a bag?

any info would be appreciated. thanks.

Mine lay across my suitcases in a closet. After I use it, I take it into the shower, rise it out, hang it dry in the shower and once it is dry, back on top of the luggage.

2011-01-15 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3301987

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2011-01-15 7:42 PM Great to hear the TRIbe is getting revved up for the 2011 season and signing up for some races and new distances.

I hang my wetsuit up with a hanger, I've see them in the store that way so I figured it was ok to do.

Aaron - cycling palsy - I also got some gel gloves for training, but stopped wearing them for races because of the extra hassle in transition wasn't worth it.  I also did alot of wrist range of motion exercises:

http://www.womenfitness.net/beauty/handfeet/handlebarpalsy.htm

GO TEAM!!

I only get it on my road bike, nothing on either TT.I think part of the issue is that I do not move much on the road bike inside. I used to only ride the road bike outside and I could move around, so if it was something I noticed, I could move and it would go away. Inside on the rollers I am a bit more stuck.

I tried to buy gloves, but accidentally selected some Hincapie thin merino wool gloves which have become my favorite gloves to run in, way better than any of the others I had been using. Just need to get some real cycling gloves, but LBS starts at $60.

Thanks for the link I will check out the exercises.

Edited by aarondavidson 2011-01-15 7:20 PM
2011-01-18 9:06 AM

User image

NH
You're committed Jeremy!

I'm like Aaron in that I lay my wetsuit flat in a closet.  I think the key is to make sure it is "flat", either hanging or laying down, because creases can become permanent.

More snow up here today.  I'm hoping to get a short run at some point away from the plows.
2011-01-18 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3300093

User image

Expert
WA
billsorg - 2011-01-14 12:11 AM Let the games begin! I just signed up for my first 2 races.  The first is a 5k that my wife and I both are going to do.  The other is a sprint tri on May 7th.

http://www.piranha-sports.com/Race122.aspx

I like that it is on the long end of the sprint distance (0.4 Mile Swim~20.5 Mile Bike~4 Mile Run).  I feel my motivation increasing already. 

Great to hear Bill!!  Congrats locking in on some races
2011-01-21 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Question:  IM Training and other Races?
What are your thoughts on booking any races during my 20 week training program? 

On one hand I want to do several races because racing is really fun and they are good tests of fitness.  On the other hand, it doesn't fit well into the IM training plan and it's hard to taper and fit in IM training.  If I train through, the race intensity could lead to injury without proper taping/recovery and I am more sensitive to injury this year than before.

I am looking at 2 key races, an Olympic in April and a HIM in May to check fitness, but not sure about that or if I should just execute the training program?  Also, I would like to do a few more races like a 10K and Half Mary earlier in training program?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76