BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-09-16 6:15 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by Stuartap

I just stopped by to say hello and goodbye. I have been watching from the sidelines for months and thrilled to see the progress of everyone here. Unfortunately the news from my camp is not so good. The hip repair was not successful and I will have a second surgery in 4-5 weeks to replace the damaged hip.

I will hopefully be up on my feet by Christmas. Then the long road back. I am not giving up on my goal of an IM but it may be 2016 instead of 2015. I spent a great deal of time discussing this with my doctor and he is supportive under two conditions.

1. I need to transition to a mid-strike or toe-strike running style. My current heal strike will be VERY BAD for an artificial hip. So any suggestions on readings, coaches etc. would be great.

2. After the IM I give up running. This will be easy for me. If I can get the IM I would be happy to do aqua-bike events, but I want my one IM first.

When I get back in the game I will be back to join a mentors group. I have learned so much from all of you. So thanks and keep up the stellar work!

Stuart.

We've missed you. Sorry to hear about the hip and that you have to go under the knife again. If it is any consolation to you, everyone that I know who has gotten a total hip has done really well.

For books, try chi running or the pose running book. The whole chi running book can be summarized in about three paragraphs so you may just want to search the Internet. The natural or pose or chi running style is pretty simple to read about but takes some real mental and physical effort to implement. FWIW, I started my own chi running program about 7-8 years ago because I had a totally destroyed, bone on bone knee but I still wanted to run. I've had fabulous results.

Good luck. Come back and check in any time.

2013-09-16 6:30 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Stuartap I just stopped by to say hello and goodbye. I have been watching from the sidelines for months and thrilled to see the progress of everyone here. Unfortunately the news from my camp is not so good. The hip repair was not successful and I will have a second surgery in 4-5 weeks to replace the damaged hip. I will hopefully be up on my feet by Christmas. Then the long road back. I am not giving up on my goal of an IM but it may be 2016 instead of 2015. I spent a great deal of time discussing this with my doctor and he is supportive under two conditions. 1. I need to transition to a mid-strike or toe-strike running style. My current heal strike will be VERY BAD for an artificial hip. So any suggestions on readings, coaches etc. would be great. 2. After the IM I give up running. This will be easy for me. If I can get the IM I would be happy to do aqua-bike events, but I want my one IM first. When I get back in the game I will be back to join a mentors group. I have learned so much from all of you. So thanks and keep up the stellar work!

Stuart-hope you get good results with the next surgery. I'm confident you will get that IM under your belt. Keep us informed of how your journey is going. Your insight and swim tips are always appreciated.

All the best!

2013-09-16 6:55 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Stuart...I'm so sorry to hear about your news. A very good friend of mine just went back in last week (6 years post hip replacement) for a repair. She's one week post op and says she feels a ton better already. I'm sure you're frustrated by the news, but in the end, it will be for the best. Your goals can still be achieved, and I know you will earn that IM finish.

2013-09-17 12:34 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Jason,

Weather update.... We seem to have a little cold front moving thru and possible rain on Saturday but Sunday looks good. It will be cold in the mornings low 30's at the lake with highs in the low 50's. Also sunscreen will be your friend for some reason a Lake Tahoe sunburn happens faster and is more painful than any sunburn anywhere else in the world.
2013-09-17 12:53 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Thanks for the words of encouragement to all. I do have one question that I could use some input on. Assuming the surgery goes as planned and I am back to training by April (the Drs best estimate) where would I need to be at by the end of next year to do IMAZ in 2015?

My original plan was to get an Oly in this year, then a HIM in 2014. If I am comfortable doing an OLY in 2014 would the Nov 2015 IM be realistic or does my calendar move out 12 months?

What do you think?
2013-09-17 2:03 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Stuart,

First off bummer on the news but it is good that you will finally have this fixed. I think a November IM would not be out of the question you would be looking in the neighborhood of what, 19 months to train that sounds totally doable.

2013-09-17 2:05 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-if you are able to build gradually over the remainder of 2014 after the surgery you should be well situated to finish an IM in 2015. If your goal is simply to finish within the 17 hours I think you will be fine. I've never done an IM but 17 hours is alot of time. You are a good swimmer so lets say you swim 1:15 (probably faster). That leaves 15.75 hours for transitions, bike and run. 30 minutes would be very generous for the 2 transitions. If you avg 14mph on the bike thats another 8 hours. So, coming out of T2 you would have 7 hours 15 minutes to finish under 17 hours. Theoretically you could walk the marathon at 3.7 mph and beat the 17 hour deadline.

I know people that have done an IM with the full intent to walk the marathon due to health issues with running. I think KathyG, a BT regular, did just that at IMFL. I know a local guy that did that at IMFL last year because of a stress fracture in his foot that flared up  inthe days before the race.   Just be patient in your recovery and rehab and you will get there!

2013-09-17 2:46 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Originally posted by slornow

p>Just be patient in your recovery and rehab and you will get there!

This
2013-09-17 3:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Randy that is in line with what I was thinking. Spend all of 2014 getting back into shape. I would likely do little running or swimming, using the bike and core work as the focus. I can add the swimming in at any time and be ready to go by the race. Based on how quickly I got back into swim shape before the accident I think I could start swimming in the May-June time frame and still do a 1:15 swim.

I broke it down a bit more aggressively than you. Swim 1:15 - T1 0:15 - Bike 6:45 - T2 0:15 - Run/Walk as long as it takes. That's 8:30 out of T2.

I did a 56 mile training ride a few days before my accident in just over 3 hours. That's just about 18.5 mph so I think 16.6 mph should be doable, especially since I plan on pushing this leg the hardest knowing I will likely walk most if not all of the Run. Plus I will upgrade from my road bike to a tri bike by then which should give a bit more speed as well.

As for walking, I am historically a very fast walker. My brother is 5 years older than I am and is 6'4", five inches taller than me. When we were kids and waked places together he had no interest in slowing down for his baby brother so I had to either walk fast or be left behind. Great training as a kid.

I will monitor my recovery and make the decision by next Nov. If I think it's a go I will volunteer for IMAZ 2014 to hopefully get a spot for 2015.

Edited by Stuartap 2013-09-17 3:05 PM
2013-09-17 4:28 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
We are leaving early tomorrow for Tahoe.

I am starting to get some butterflies. I didn't think I was going to get nervous but all of a sudden I am.

Bib number is 1782, Jason Adams, 40-44 age group if anyone wants to see how it is going.

I'm sure I will post again before race day but things might get a little hectic between now and then.
2013-09-17 4:32 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Thanks for the words of encouragement to all. I do have one question that I could use some input on. Assuming the surgery goes as planned and I am back to training by April (the Drs best estimate) where would I need to be at by the end of next year to do IMAZ in 2015?

My original plan was to get an Oly in this year, then a HIM in 2014. If I am comfortable doing an OLY in 2014 would the Nov 2015 IM be realistic or does my calendar move out 12 months?

What do you think?

I think as long as you are 'active' by the end of 2014 that a smart plan will get you to the start line at AZ in 2015. You have the base. You have the smarts. IM is a lot of work but there is nothing magical about waiting a certain amount of time to do one. If you can execute a conservative plan and not get injured (assuming that 'you' are at least moderately active) I think nine months of effort will get you to the start line well prepared to finish the race. Of course, the longer you have, the better prepared you can be but again, it is not magic, just a block of hard work.

2013-09-17 8:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Stuartap Randy that is in line with what I was thinking. Spend all of 2014 getting back into shape. I would likely do little running or swimming, using the bike and core work as the focus. I can add the swimming in at any time and be ready to go by the race. Based on how quickly I got back into swim shape before the accident I think I could start swimming in the May-June time frame and still do a 1:15 swim. I broke it down a bit more aggressively than you. Swim 1:15 - T1 0:15 - Bike 6:45 - T2 0:15 - Run/Walk as long as it takes. That's 8:30 out of T2. I did a 56 mile training ride a few days before my accident in just over 3 hours. That's just about 18.5 mph so I think 16.6 mph should be doable, especially since I plan on pushing this leg the hardest knowing I will likely walk most if not all of the Run. Plus I will upgrade from my road bike to a tri bike by then which should give a bit more speed as well. As for walking, I am historically a very fast walker. My brother is 5 years older than I am and is 6'4", five inches taller than me. When we were kids and waked places together he had no interest in slowing down for his baby brother so I had to either walk fast or be left behind. Great training as a kid. I will monitor my recovery and make the decision by next Nov. If I think it's a go I will volunteer for IMAZ 2014 to hopefully get a spot for 2015.

Stuart-wasn't trying to sell you short on the bike or run I was looking at it more worst case scenario...especially on the bike. With your determination I have no doubt you will make it. The toughest thing may be keeping you from ramping up your training too quickly as I'm sure you will be itching to get back at it when the doctor gives the OK.

Edited by slornow 2013-09-17 8:09 PM
2013-09-17 8:11 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster We are leaving early tomorrow for Tahoe. I am starting to get some butterflies. I didn't think I was going to get nervous but all of a sudden I am. Bib number is 1782, Jason Adams, 40-44 age group if anyone wants to see how it is going. I'm sure I will post again before race day but things might get a little hectic between now and then.

What's going on in Tahoe?

I'll be tracking you. Safe travels and fast racing!

2013-09-17 8:28 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Originally posted by wannabefaster We are leaving early tomorrow for Tahoe. I am starting to get some butterflies. I didn't think I was going to get nervous but all of a sudden I am. Bib number is 1782, Jason Adams, 40-44 age group if anyone wants to see how it is going. I'm sure I will post again before race day but things might get a little hectic between now and then.

Don't be silly:  http://www.colormerad.com/race.i?raceid=70

x2!  I expect you to FINISH that 5K this time!

2013-09-17 9:11 PM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Experior

Don't be silly:  http://www.colormerad.com/race.i?raceid=70

x2!  I expect you to FINISH that 5K this time!

I want pics from Jason at the color me rad!!

Good luck in Tahoe!!!
2013-09-17 10:37 PM

User image

Master
Stuart: Hello! Sure do miss your swim tips. I'm so sorry to see that the hip is still giving you problems. I hope this next surgery will be the last one for it! I'll be rooting for you and a speedy, comfortable recovery, then 2015 season, here you come!

Jason: I'll definitely be following you if I can!

As for me, just plugging along.

I've started working full time, so making sure I complete swim and bike training as been difficult. I did pick up a bike trainer and tested it last night. Nothing fancy. A Giant Mag something or other.

That should help training for the 100K in December. I'm also registering for an Olympic distance in mid November. I'm pretty excited!

This weekend I was supposed to participate in a duathlon, but my soccer team in playoffs. We play Friday and Sunday. We have a good chance at 1st place, so I'm saving my legs. I've been getting ladies together for OWS/Bike sessions on Saturday mornings, but that's it tri-wise. By the way, we've seen sea turtles each time we've been out on the OWS. Amazing!!

Happy training!

2013-09-18 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Stuart-wasn't trying to sell you short on the bike or run I was looking at it more worst case scenario...especially on the bike. With your determination I have no doubt you will make it. The toughest thing may be keeping you from ramping up your training too quickly as I'm sure you will be itching to get back at it when the doctor gives the OK.

No offense taken. BTW - the doctor agrees with you. He has already warned me about over doing it once he says go and the surgery is still several weeks away. Maybe my aggressive nature showing !
2013-09-18 4:57 PM

User image

Had an hour on the bike scheduled for tonight (on my new tires!). Also had a hair appt at 5:15. I figured 2 birds with one stone....ride the bike 9.5 miles to hair salon, hour to do hair, 9.5 miles home. I'm now at hair salon dreading the ride home. I rode through one of the sketchiest areas of town. Eek! It's either a mike of scarytown to the bike oath or 7 miles of high traffic 4 lane. I guess I will just need to pedal really fast for that mile.
2013-09-18 5:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Randy that is in line with what I was thinking. Spend all of 2014 getting back into shape. I would likely do little running or swimming, using the bike and core work as the focus. I can add the swimming in at any time and be ready to go by the race. Based on how quickly I got back into swim shape before the accident I think I could start swimming in the May-June time frame and still do a 1:15 swim.

I broke it down a bit more aggressively than you. Swim 1:15 - T1 0:15 - Bike 6:45 - T2 0:15 - Run/Walk as long as it takes. That's 8:30 out of T2.

I did a 56 mile training ride a few days before my accident in just over 3 hours. That's just about 18.5 mph so I think 16.6 mph should be doable, especially since I plan on pushing this leg the hardest knowing I will likely walk most if not all of the Run. Plus I will upgrade from my road bike to a tri bike by then which should give a bit more speed as well.

As for walking, I am historically a very fast walker. My brother is 5 years older than I am and is 6'4", five inches taller than me. When we were kids and waked places together he had no interest in slowing down for his baby brother so I had to either walk fast or be left behind. Great training as a kid.

I will monitor my recovery and make the decision by next Nov. If I think it's a go I will volunteer for IMAZ 2014 to hopefully get a spot for 2015.

Hang in there Stuart! Thanks for the contributions that you've made; I owe a lot of the swim drills I do to your recommendations! You'll be back in the game before you know it; it's all about playing the long game!
2013-09-18 5:12 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Jason, good luck this weekend! I'll definitely be checking on Sunday.
2013-09-18 6:57 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Survived crackville Rode fast.

2013-09-18 7:27 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

Survived crackville Rode fast.

Good training motivation.

I'm in Tahoe. Really beautiful.

We drove up to the Brockaway Summit, one of two tough climbs per loop. It is really steep and really long. It will be interesting doing it for the second time at about mile 90. I think this is not a race for preconceived time goals. This is a 'give an honest effort and see how you match up with your peers' type of race. I have been thinking that with a little more training and a really good day that I could go sub-10 at an IM. Well, I don't care how well Sunday goes, I can't work the numbers to be anywhere close to that.

Goal is to enjoy the course and save enough to run a nice marathon to finish it up. As always, I woul like to finish before sun down.

My wife's goals are always different from mine. She always tells me, "don't die (drown), don't crash the bike and don't poop on yourself.". Anything else she can handle. Always good to have some perspective
2013-09-18 7:43 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by glfprncs Survived crackville Rode fast.

Didn't mess up your hair did you?

2013-09-19 5:16 AM

User image

Originally posted by glfprncs Survived crackville Rode fast.

Didn't mess up your hair did you?

LOL...the new cut and color is definitely more aero.
2013-09-19 7:17 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I'm in Tahoe. Really beautiful.

We drove up to the Brockaway Summit, one of two tough climbs per loop. It is really steep and really long. It will be interesting doing it for the second time at about mile 90. I think this is not a race for preconceived time goals. This is a 'give an honest effort and see how you match up with your peers' type of race. I have been thinking that with a little more training and a really good day that I could go sub-10 at an IM. Well, I don't care how well Sunday goes, I can't work the numbers to be anywhere close to that.

Goal is to enjoy the course and save enough to run a nice marathon to finish it up. As always, I woul like to finish before sun down.

My wife's goals are always different from mine. She always tells me, "don't die (drown), don't crash the bike and don't poop on yourself.". Anything else she can handle. Always good to have some perspective

I skied Tahoe 2 winters in a row - completely different season - 1 with no snow and 1 with so much certain areas were closed due to avalanche danger! BOTH times totally awesome views

Good luck, have a great time and report back with lots of pics!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88