BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-01-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
Matt, I know some IM plans actually include halfs as part of the plan.  They're usually 4-6 weeks out I think, and they aren't really treated as races but mini-preps.  No real taper, but essentially an expensive and well supported long, specific, training day. 

So then you could question why even bother to sign up for a half and not just do something similar on your own?  That's the personal decision to make, but I know some coaching techniques like to use the whole race atmosphere and adrenaline as a learning tool, and to learn to control yourself in that environment.

I think that will be the trick, you can't really "race" the half.  How hard will it be to maintain IM-like paces for a half?  That will be a big mental test.

2011-01-24 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3317830

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Thanks Warren, I get what you are saying. I was thinking/planning on using the HIM that way, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a HIM race (long catered training day I should say) or do the "Big Day" that Joel Freil (I think) says to plan around this same time.  He actually suggests two Big Days, but they are broken up and very long, rather than a very specific HIM race.  I'll have to go back through my training plan, it may call for a HIM and Olympic or I saw that in Iron Fit plans I was looking at.
2011-01-24 1:53 PM

User image

NH
I personally like those long days better Matt.  Endurance nation calls it race rehearsal.  They do a nearly full bike followed by a long run of about 60-90 minutes, which should be enough to see if your bike pace or nutrition was at least reasonable.  I think a HIM is not anywhere near long enough to really test full iron nutrition or pacing, but what do I know never having done one?
2011-01-24 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3318432

User image

Expert
WA
mdfahy - 2011-01-23 10:57 PM Thanks Warren, I get what you are saying. I was thinking/planning on using the HIM that way, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a HIM race (long catered training day I should say) or do the "Big Day" that Joel Freil (I think) says to plan around this same time.  He actually suggests two Big Days, but they are broken up and very long, rather than a very specific HIM race.  I'll have to go back through my training plan, it may call for a HIM and Olympic or I saw that in Iron Fit plans I was looking at.

This is a great question Matt!  You should drop this one in the CDA thread to see what some of those IM veterans say.

Iron Fit calls for a HIM at week 22.  Since there aren't any races during that time I will probably just make one up. 

I have seen buddies who do IM do all kinds of small races building up to the big day, but I think they just supplement them with their training.
2011-01-25 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3319089

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I wish that I would have done an HIM during my training.  I also think that more races would have kept me motivated (maybe excited is a better word) about training.  The IM was motivation enough,  but sometimes training felt like work rather than fun.  It was something I had to do, rather than wanted to do.
2011-01-26 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
My 2-cents-worth (if it's even worth that much)... I think a HIM 8-10 weeks in front of a full IM makes perfect sense... get the feel of the race, put all 3 disciplines together in a race situation, practice transitions at full speed.  And even though it's 1/2 the distance, it could still help you identify weaknesses that you need to work on. 

2011-01-30 7:30 AM

User image

NH
For all of you who live in the snow zone and spend hours shoveling - you need to get a snow thrower!  Just kidding, I noticed especially Aaron and Bill logging hours on the shoveling and thought I'd poke you a bit.  We have another major one coming again this week!

Aaron, how are you planning to deal with the temperature change in Abu Dahbi?

Edited by wbayek 2011-01-30 7:42 AM
2011-01-31 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Thanks everyone for the great feedback!  I signed up for an Olympic in April and a HIM in May.  That's a good idea Rene, I'll post this over in IMCDA.  I am thinking that maybe I can fit in my second "Big Day" along the lines of a Joe Friel workout, that is if I am still ALIVE by then! LOL!

Last day of the first month of the Rabbit!!  I guess that means we'll all be FAST in 2011, only if I were chinese! Ha.
2011-02-01 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Great idea on the Oly/HIM as prep for the IM...I'll have to put that into my bag of tricks for next year. I am slowly moving towards the start of a HIM plan - but haven't picked one out. I originally thought I would cobble together my own - but have quickly realized that if you are peaking effort-wise on bike at the same time as the run, it makes for a worn-out athlete. Anyone have recommendations for a particular plan that you liked? What did you like about the plan? What didn't you like about the plan?

Thanks - hunkering down for yet another snowstorm here - we are supposed to get a foot on Wednesday...I'm supposed to fly to MN on Thursday for work. Should make for some interesting driving!
2011-02-02 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3332599

User image

Veteran
Richmond
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-02-01 7:55 AM Great idea on the Oly/HIM as prep for the IM...I'll have to put that into my bag of tricks for next year. I am slowly moving towards the start of a HIM plan - but haven't picked one out. I originally thought I would cobble together my own - but have quickly realized that if you are peaking effort-wise on bike at the same time as the run, it makes for a worn-out athlete. Anyone have recommendations for a particular plan that you liked? What did you like about the plan? What didn't you like about the plan?

Thanks - hunkering down for yet another snowstorm here - we are supposed to get a foot on Wednesday...I'm supposed to fly to MN on Thursday for work. Should make for some interesting driving!

I used the BT 20 wk beg. HIM plan and it worked for me.  Others using the plan thought it had too much swimming, but I like swimming and felt it would be easier for my body to absorb than adding more biking/running.  I liked the structure of the plan as well.  Hope your travels go well. 
2011-02-04 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3332599

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-01-31 5:55 PM Great idea on the Oly/HIM as prep for the IM...I'll have to put that into my bag of tricks for next year. I am slowly moving towards the start of a HIM plan - but haven't picked one out. I originally thought I would cobble together my own - but have quickly realized that if you are peaking effort-wise on bike at the same time as the run, it makes for a worn-out athlete. Anyone have recommendations for a particular plan that you liked? What did you like about the plan? What didn't you like about the plan?

I didn't use a plan for my HIM last year.  I think it is a GREAT idea to have one though!

If you are interested in what others did as far as miles, times etc you can always check out their logs.  I do that for folks I hope to be as fast as one day.  Smile
Good luck!

Edited by RunRene 2011-02-04 4:01 PM

2011-02-05 1:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
alright!!!!!!!!!! I'm sick of this efffffin freezing cold weather!  negative 7 degrees the other night has wreaked havoc on the house! we had a pipe burst today - good thing my wife was home. pipe is repaired. letting things dry up and fixing drywall tomorrow.

with all the cold you guys get in the NE....how the heck do you keep pipes clear! I do know the insulation on the house wasn't done properly....

there goes the workouts for the next few days - right before a week of meetings out of town. arrrrggggggghhh!

ok - back to your regular programing schedule
2011-02-05 6:36 AM
in reply to: #3340214

User image

NH
barelfly - 2011-02-05 2:02 AM alright!!!!!!!!!! I'm sick of this efffffin freezing cold weather!  negative 7 degrees the other night has wreaked havoc on the house! we had a pipe burst today - good thing my wife was home. pipe is repaired. letting things dry up and fixing drywall tomorrow.

with all the cold you guys get in the NE....how the heck do you keep pipes clear! I do know the insulation on the house wasn't done properly....

there goes the workouts for the next few days - right before a week of meetings out of town. arrrrggggggghhh!

ok - back to your regular programing schedule

Yikes Jeremy, that's tough.  Hopefully this grip ends soon.

I think our houses are just built for winter so the insulation and the heat in the house are really key.  When the power goes out, if it's going to be a long one (like a few years back), I'll drain the water to be safe.  I also have put anti-freeze in the heating system water as those pipes go in places which aren't so insulated.

But 7 below is pretty extreme.

Edited by wbayek 2011-02-05 6:51 AM
2011-02-05 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3340214

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Jeremy - It really is like Warren said - our insulation is significantly different that what you have - all outside walls are heavily insulated - which keeps the heat in and protects the pipes - we also don't typically have pipes on an outside wall for the exact reason you brought up. My parents (who live in ABQ) have an outdoor hot tub that is completely wrecked due to the cold. I'm so glad you were able to catch the leak early...makes a world of difference!

I have several friends in ABQ and Tucson that have had pipes burst (apparently at Kirtland AFB, 130 of the base houses had pipes burst). We are supposed to get 4 hours of snow, followed by 4 hours of rain, followed by 4 hours of snow tonight...Matt's going to spend the day trying to get the 20 inches of snow off our roof while I take the girls to their last home swim meet. I don't know who has got a better deal.

Have a great weekend all - try to stay warm and dry!
2011-02-05 7:01 AM

User image

NH
Jennifer, it seems like everyone is shoveling roofs around here.  I took yesterday off to try to clear my roof at least a little.  I got the first few feet so hopefully the dams will be ok.  I've seen tons of snow blowers up on the flat roofs - first time I've ever since that!

Good luck everyone.
2011-02-05 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Sometimes I consider moving to get away from the traffic or crowds or high cost of living...then I come  back here and remember why I stay. I can't even imagine. Stay tough you guys...spring is coming.

2011-02-05 6:34 PM

User image

NH
Yeah Bob, I'd trade traffic for this weather about now!  We're now getting rain, which sounds fine until you realize everything is frozen so the water has nowhere to go.  Flooding for sure, and then the deep freeze will set in and we'll be coated in ice for a few weeks.  This is crazy!

I just checked out your March race Aaron - that's some crazy distances.  It's a 3k (3280 yd) swim, a 200k (124 mile) bike, and a 20k (12.4) mile run.  Sounds like S/B/R ratios I would like!  Good luck!
2011-02-05 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3318432

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2011-01-24 1:57 PM Thanks Warren, I get what you are saying. I was thinking/planning on using the HIM that way, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a HIM race (long catered training day I should say) or do the "Big Day" that Joel Freil (I think) says to plan around this same time.  He actually suggests two Big Days, but they are broken up and very long, rather than a very specific HIM race.  I'll have to go back through my training plan, it may call for a HIM and Olympic or I saw that in Iron Fit plans I was looking at.

Yes.

Ideal situation is wake up early. Swim for an hour (straight) shower, head home, change into bike gear and head out for 6hours. Finish with a 90-120min run. Long day and you can practice fueling.

Or ride 100miles and follow that with an 8-10mi run. For pacing, keep your bike to intended race pace and do the run slightly faster than goal pace ~30-45s/mile.

Edited by aarondavidson 2011-02-05 7:27 PM
2011-02-05 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3340288

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-02-05 7:51 AM Jeremy - It really is like Warren said - our insulation is significantly different that what you have - all outside walls are heavily insulated - which keeps the heat in and protects the pipes - we also don't typically have pipes on an outside wall for the exact reason you brought up. My parents (who live in ABQ) have an outdoor hot tub that is completely wrecked due to the cold. I'm so glad you were able to catch the leak early...makes a world of difference!

I have several friends in ABQ and Tucson that have had pipes burst (apparently at Kirtland AFB, 130 of the base houses had pipes burst). We are supposed to get 4 hours of snow, followed by 4 hours of rain, followed by 4 hours of snow tonight...Matt's going to spend the day trying to get the 20 inches of snow off our roof while I take the girls to their last home swim meet. I don't know who has got a better deal.

Have a great weekend all - try to stay warm and dry!

So much shoveling. Moved old snow today. In the rain. My hands are raw. Thankfully we are missing this storm, just rain and the temp is staying above freezing.

2011-02-07 12:09 PM

User image

NH
Did some roof shoveling and snowshoeing this weekend.  Since those are very different than anything I usually do, I'm quite sore today.  I definitely wouldn't to shovel on a regular basis!

Jennifer, in terms of half iron training - I made my own plan with Leigh's help, borrowing heavily from the EN model.  I needed a regular schedule due to my life, so I essentially did similar training (by time/event at least) each week.  They tend to go heavily on the intensity side, though volume picks up the last 6-8 weeks.  I can give you some details in a PM if you want since it probably doesn't make sense to clog up the group with those details.

I also have my year planned out now, essentially one race a month May-Sept., but I may add some 5k/10k road races as the year goes on.
2011-02-09 5:56 AM
in reply to: #3343181

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
wbayek - 2011-02-07 1:09 AM
I also have my year planned out now, essentially one race a month May-Sept., but I may add some 5k/10k road races as the year goes on.

That looks like a great schedule Warren! You should have some fun.

A few weeks ago, I posted here that I thought I might be overdoing it a bit (in classic Jennifer fashion) and got a lot of great feedback. I have since cut down the amount of running - following the half marathon plan to the t, cut down on my swimming and committed to three bike sessions a week with the fourth thrown in if time permits. Matt also recommended to think about the intensity of each session...was I training too hard (or training at medium level all the time)? So I have made a conscious effort to keep the slow/easy days slow and easy and making the harder days much harder...it's working! I feel pretty good, my pace is dropping on my runs, the last few bikes have been tough - but really good. Thanks all!

The one thing I really learned from this is trust your plan. The folks creating the plans know what they are doing.

No snow today (thank goodness - there truly is no where for it to go at this point)...and just sunshine predicted for the next week....whew! We could use the break.

2011-02-09 4:56 PM

User image

NH
So today was officially my last day of work at the startup I've been at for 9 years!  Feels really strange.  I start at my new job Monday, so really no time off.  I've been in a little motivational running funk lately, so I'm planning to at least use these 2 days to jump start my running.

I've signed up for a May 1st half marathon, so I have to get back on the running bandwagon right now.
2011-02-10 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3347761

User image

Veteran
Richmond
wbayek - 2011-02-09 4:56 PM So today was officially my last day of work at the startup I've been at for 9 years!  Feels really strange.  I start at my new job Monday, so really no time off.  I've been in a little motivational running funk lately, so I'm planning to at least use these 2 days to jump start my running.

I've signed up for a May 1st half marathon, so I have to get back on the running bandwagon right now.

Congrats on your new job, it's always hard starting something new, but can be very rewarding too.  Good luck!
2011-02-10 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3346371

User image

Veteran
Richmond
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-02-09 5:56 AM
wbayek - 2011-02-07 1:09 AM

That looks like a great schedule Warren! You should have some fun.

A few weeks ago, I posted here that I thought I might be overdoing it a bit (in classic Jennifer fashion) and got a lot of great feedback. I have since cut down the amount of running - following the half marathon plan to the t, cut down on my swimming and committed to three bike sessions a week with the fourth thrown in if time permits. Matt also recommended to think about the intensity of each session...was I training too hard (or training at medium level all the time)? So I have made a conscious effort to keep the slow/easy days slow and easy and making the harder days much harder...it's working! I feel pretty good, my pace is dropping on my runs, the last few bikes have been tough - but really good. Thanks all!

The one thing I really learned from this is trust your plan. The folks creating the plans know what they are doing.

No snow today (thank goodness - there truly is no where for it to go at this point)...and just sunshine predicted for the next week....whew! We could use the break.

I do much better with a plan also and have to remind myself often that more experienced people put these together and to trust it as you said.  I am so excited about starting IM training, I just want to work out all the time, but know from last year that I need to slowly build up and follow the plan as closely as possible.
2011-02-10 7:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Question:  Looking at tt bikes and thinking of upgrading cranks.  My LBS said that is one of the best areas to spend $ if you have it, actually he said, crank, wheels and pedals (moving parts).  However, I don't know much about cranks, so thus my question.  Any recommendations on crank upgrades for a tt bike?  I see FSA alot.  Thanks!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76