BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-06-10 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
It amazes me how you can now pretty much predict race times down to a 5% differential based on the stats given from previous races and recent training sessions.  

It dispels the myth that if you have 'heart' or 'desire' you can run faster.   

Pete,
You're probably questioning yourself about the marathon; you gave it a good effort and there's no shame in that.  BQ isn't too far off!

2010-06-10 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2913907

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-06-10 5:24 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
It looks like there are a couple others who have been away for a little while.  I've been sick, and dealing with our house sale, for the last week or so.  The good news is that our house sold on the first day it was listed, for very close to our asking price!  The only thing that we're waiting on now is the inspection of the house that we're buying.  As long as everything checks out okay, we'll move in July 16th.

Last weekend, I had my first duathlon of the year (thanks for the inspire, Ken!).  My run splits were slightly faster than last year, but my bike sucked!  When I came in from the first run (5.6k), I knocked the nose piece off my sunglasses, and had to spend a few seconds putting it back on.  During the first lap of the bike, I dropped my gatorade bottle while trying to put it back in the bottle cage (it was pretty much full), and during the second lap, my chain would not catch.  It kept slipping off and wouldn't stay in any one gear (I obviously need to get that issue checked out).  When I finished the bike, I knocked someone's helmet off their bike when I was racking mine, so I spent a few more seconds getting their helmet back where it was.  All in all, I was 4 minutes slower on the bike this year.

I finished in 1:32, which is about a minute slower than last year, so I'm not too thrilled about it, but there's still a lot of season to go.  There were some crazy fast guys there... the 4 top finishers all broke the previous course record, with the winner finishing around 1:00:33 (5.6k run, 20.4k bike, 2.8k run).  Those guys flew by me on the bike... I can't even imagine what 40km/hr feels like (on flat groud, that is).
2010-06-10 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2914427

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Wooden Bell - 2010-06-10 6:24 PM It looks like there are a couple others who have been away for a little while.  I've been sick, and dealing with our house sale, for the last week or so.  The good news is that our house sold on the first day it was listed, for very close to our asking price!  The only thing that we're waiting on now is the inspection of the house that we're buying.  As long as everything checks out okay, we'll move in July 16th.

Last weekend, I had my first duathlon of the year (thanks for the inspire, Ken!).  My run splits were slightly faster than last year, but my bike sucked!  When I came in from the first run (5.6k), I knocked the nose piece off my sunglasses, and had to spend a few seconds putting it back on.  During the first lap of the bike, I dropped my gatorade bottle while trying to put it back in the bottle cage (it was pretty much full), and during the second lap, my chain would not catch.  It kept slipping off and wouldn't stay in any one gear (I obviously need to get that issue checked out).  When I finished the bike, I knocked someone's helmet off their bike when I was racking mine, so I spent a few more seconds getting their helmet back where it was.  All in all, I was 4 minutes slower on the bike this year.

I finished in 1:32, which is about a minute slower than last year, so I'm not too thrilled about it, but there's still a lot of season to go.  There were some crazy fast guys there... the 4 top finishers all broke the previous course record, with the winner finishing around 1:00:33 (5.6k run, 20.4k bike, 2.8k run).  Those guys flew by me on the bike... I can't even imagine what 40km/hr feels like (on flat groud, that is).

Congrats on the house sale!  In the current climate that is pretty quick!

Your race was fine considering the curves that life has thrown you this spring! Lots of race season after July!!

2010-06-10 11:45 PM

Expert
Did a brick tonight...14.6 mile bike followed by 3.6 mile run. Actually felt pretty good. Legs were a little heavy at first but I just pushed through it and got into a good constant pace. Soon I'll need to start to increase my distance to somewhere around 5 miles.
2010-06-11 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2914915

Expert
Thornton, CO
phxphotog - 2010-06-10 10:45 PM Did a brick tonight...14.6 mile bike followed by 3.6 mile run. Actually felt pretty good. Legs were a little heavy at first but I just pushed through it and got into a good constant pace. Soon I'll need to start to increase my distance to somewhere around 5 miles.

Here's a topic for discussion.  How far do you feel you need to run after biking to get a valid brick workout in (In the context of training for an IM)?

I believe personally the ROI for my time is best if I limit my run off the bike to 2-5 miles and then later go for an additional longer run after I've recovered.  In bike to run bricks, the goal for me is to get a good hard bike training session in, then the run is to simulate the effects of a race where you've been going hard and now have to transition your body to supply fuel to other muscles for the run.  I've always felt that once this change has occurred and I'm now feeling good for the run I'll tack an additional mile at a good pace and have accomplished my goals for that session.  Perhaps I'm mistaken on this, but the time spent vs quality of your run following a hard bike workout is not going to give as good of a return compared to if you end the session after 2-5miles of running, rest, refuel, do laundry and then go back out for a run specific session later in the day.

Is my thought process on this still stuck in the sprint/oly training style where speed is more important?  Is there solid value in doing a 50-70mile bike followed by a 10 mile run as a brick?  Is that something that is valuable for IM training in order to teach me how much I need to conserve on the the bike?

2010-06-11 12:44 PM

Expert
Don't know if you meant what I said or not but when I remarked that I needed to get my mileage up to 5, I was talking in general and not in bricks. I'll still keep brick low on miles and need to get some longer runs in starting in the next few weeks. I need to look at my 1/2 IM training program but I think there are some hour runs in the next few weeks.

I'm interested in all the IM talk because I'm not ruling out IMAZ 2011 yet. If I do well in my 1/2 IM then I'll probably bite the bullet and register for 2011 when I volunteer at IMAZ 2010. I know LP is harder than AZ and I can't wait to hear how people did at the race.

I'm probably going to try the 15 mile bike 30 min run, 15 mile bike 20 mile run & 15 mile bike 10 mile run brick sometime. That sounded awesome. Even though it's a rest week I'm still getting good workouts in, just not as much. We're going to have good weather this weekend so I'm going to get a couple longish bikes in and hopefully a run outside.
2010-06-11 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2916041

Expert
Thornton, CO
phxphotog - 2010-06-11 11:44 AM Don't know if you meant what I said or not but when I remarked that I needed to get my mileage up to 5, I was talking in general and not in bricks. I'll still keep brick low on miles and need to get some longer runs in starting in the next few weeks. I need to look at my 1/2 IM training program but I think there are some hour runs in the next few weeks.

It definitely wasn't anything directed at you, it just made me think of that subject. I don't do any long runs during a brick and since I still have a good amount of time before IMAZ, I figured I'd bring the subject up to make sure I'm not doing myself a disservice.
2010-06-11 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2915769

Expert
zionvier - 2010-06-11 12:16 PM
phxphotog - 2010-06-10 10:45 PM Did a brick tonight...14.6 mile bike followed by 3.6 mile run. Actually felt pretty good. Legs were a little heavy at first but I just pushed through it and got into a good constant pace. Soon I'll need to start to increase my distance to somewhere around 5 miles.

Here's a topic for discussion.  How far do you feel you need to run after biking to get a valid brick workout in (In the context of training for an IM)?

I believe personally the ROI for my time is best if I limit my run off the bike to 2-5 miles and then later go for an additional longer run after I've recovered.  In bike to run bricks, the goal for me is to get a good hard bike training session in, then the run is to simulate the effects of a race where you've been going hard and now have to transition your body to supply fuel to other muscles for the run.  I've always felt that once this change has occurred and I'm now feeling good for the run I'll tack an additional mile at a good pace and have accomplished my goals for that session.  Perhaps I'm mistaken on this, but the time spent vs quality of your run following a hard bike workout is not going to give as good of a return compared to if you end the session after 2-5miles of running, rest, refuel, do laundry and then go back out for a run specific session later in the day.

Is my thought process on this still stuck in the sprint/oly training style where speed is more important?  Is there solid value in doing a 50-70mile bike followed by a 10 mile run as a brick?  Is that something that is valuable for IM training in order to teach me how much I need to conserve on the the bike?

Great topic! I just sent Josh a PM about this yesterday. I make almost every bike workout i have in to a brick. Even if i am only running 1 mile. for ME...i love to feeling of knowing how hard i can push on the bike..and then what to expect. By doing bricks in training...coming off the bike in a race and feeling your legs behave like they do is something i am used to and i know that feeling. As long as it is a feeling i have felt before and overcome..i can stay confident and continue on with my plan. thats why for ME...i like bricks. They provide me with a great deal of race confidence. maybe it provides no physical gains...but it sure has some mental advantages for ME.
2010-06-11 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2916421

Expert
Thornton, CO
dharris13 - 2010-06-11 1:50 PM
Great topic! I just sent Josh a PM about this yesterday. I make almost every bike workout i have in to a brick. Even if i am only running 1 mile. for ME...i love to feeling of knowing how hard i can push on the bike..and then what to expect. By doing bricks in training...coming off the bike in a race and feeling your legs behave like they do is something i am used to and i know that feeling. As long as it is a feeling i have felt before and overcome..i can stay confident and continue on with my plan. thats why for ME...i like bricks. They provide me with a great deal of race confidence. maybe it provides no physical gains...but it sure has some mental advantages for ME.

I am definitely all for brick workouts.  The training you get physiologically to switch the blood flow to other muscles faster is definitely not something I'd say "provides no physical gains".  But is there an additional benefit I'm depriving myself (or we are depriving ourselves of) by not going some longer runs (5+ miles) after biking? 
2010-06-11 6:34 PM

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
I am scheduled for an Olympic this Sunday.  Looking forward to seeing how I do this year compared to last year on the same course.  On the down side there is a good chance that the swim might be canx due to E-coli levels in the lake.  The decision will be made on Saturday after water testing is complete.  If they do canx the swim the plan is for a 2 mile run, 25 mile bike, 10K run.  First time I will run, bike, run.  Any tips on how to approach the first 2 mile run and the potential affects on the remainder of the race?

Greg 

2010-06-11 11:41 PM
in reply to: #2916787

Pro
Canandaigua NY

GRB1 - 2010-06-11 7:34 PM I am scheduled for an Olympic this Sunday.  Looking forward to seeing how I do this year compared to last year on the same course.  On the down side there is a good chance that the swim might be canx due to E-coli levels in the lake.  The decision will be made on Saturday after water testing is complete.  If they do canx the swim the plan is for a 2 mile run, 25 mile bike, 10K run.  First time I will run, bike, run.  Any tips on how to approach the first 2 mile run and the potential affects on the remainder of the race?

Greg 

Good luck with the race and I hope that the water issues clear up!!!

2010-06-12 12:18 AM

Master
Redlands, CA
GRB1 - 2010-06-11 4:34 PM I am scheduled for an Olympic this Sunday.  Looking forward to seeing how I do this year compared to last year on the same course.  On the down side there is a good chance that the swim might be canx due to E-coli levels in the lake.  The decision will be made on Saturday after water testing is complete.  If they do canx the swim the plan is for a 2 mile run, 25 mile bike, 10K run.  First time I will run, bike, run.  Any tips on how to approach the first 2 mile run and the potential affects on the remainder of the race?

Greg 

Good Luck, looking forward to the race report!
2010-06-12 4:51 AM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
GRB1 - 2010-06-11 5:34 PM I am scheduled for an Olympic this Sunday.  Looking forward to seeing how I do this year compared to last year on the same course.  On the down side there is a good chance that the swim might be canx due to E-coli levels in the lake.  The decision will be made on Saturday after water testing is complete.  If they do canx the swim the plan is for a 2 mile run, 25 mile bike, 10K run.  First time I will run, bike, run.  Any tips on how to approach the first 2 mile run and the potential affects on the remainder of the race?

Greg 

Have a great race!!!
2010-06-12 7:21 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good luck Fred at Eagleman!! Have a great race!

Anyone else racing this weekend?

2010-06-12 11:28 AM

Expert
Went for a 40 mile ride this morning. The weather was beautiful for June here in Arizona. Actually cool when I left around 6am. This tied for the longest ride that I've done since I started training in January. I did start to slightly bonk with about 8 miles to go. I had an english muffin before I went and just water on the bike (bottles). I needed to have a GU when I turned around so I learned that. I also need to keep an eye on my nutrition as I add distance so I can start to formulate my 1/2 IM plan.

I can really start to see my riding getting better as I have been upping my miles in the last 3 weeks or so. Still having sore neck issues but I'm just going to keep pushing is and hope my neck muscles will strengthen. I was hoping to do a group ride today but they were doing 55 miles and I just thought that it was too much for where I'm at with my training. We'll see what I'm up for today or tomorrow.

2010-06-12 12:12 PM

Expert
Pictures from my morning ride in Arizona.

2010-06-12 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2917210

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kenj - 2010-06-12 6:21 AM

Good luck Fred at Eagleman!! Have a great race!

Anyone else racing this weekend?

Good Luck Fred!!
2010-06-12 11:23 PM

Expert
GO GREG AND FRED!!!
2010-06-13 12:22 PM

Master
Redlands, CA

So it looks like Fred had a average swim, good bike, and ate them up on the run for a 4:45 and 9th in the AG....way to go!

(I hope that's the right guy)

2010-06-13 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2918459

Expert
yeah thats what i came up with too...says he is from PA which we know is true. he kicked some A$$!!!! GO FRED!!!

2010-06-13 3:13 PM

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

Quick run down of this years race versus last years.  Same course except it was muggy and the roads were wet from drizzle/rain the previous night.  Run was on a hilly hiking trail/grass course, maybe 100 yards of total pavement, so it was heavy and the hills were a bit slippery from the rain/moisture on the ground.

Last year:              This year

Swim 34:59            34:14 (2:05/100 yd)

T1     1:48               2:39

Bike   1:17:42         1:14:38 (20.0 MPH)

T2        1:33            1:37

Run    57:26            53:08 (8:33, includes 30 pit stop)

Total time 2:53:29       2:46:17

Overall I felt pretty good.  Swim was not what I expected, thought I had a little more speed than this, but it was my first OWS of the year.  Very weedy/murky, kept having to pull it off my hands and goggles.  I did figure out I need a new wetsuit top, mine is to big due to weight loss.  Felt like a gallon of water sloshing around in each arm, added unnecessary weight.  Only complaint on the swim from an organization point is that they timed the Sprint and Olympic to finish at the same time.  A huge pile up ensued at the finish and I was stuck behind about 100 walkers clogging the way, no way to swim in.

T1 was slower than last years, guess I was taking my time. 

Bike felt good, carried more speed on a hilly route. As mentioned the roads were slick on about 50% of the course.  Kind of weird but the water really feels like it creates a lot of drag on the wheels, that or I am giving myself a good excuse for slowing down at times

T2 Almost the same as last year no complaints

Run was much better than last year.  I did stop right away for a nature break, probably cost me around thirty seconds, but it is what it is.  My pace was about 45 seconds faster per mile on the same course so I am happy about that.

Overall I improved by 7:12 which is pretty good, I did cost myself about a minute extra in transition but I am guilty of not practicing the transition at all this year.  I don't know how many were in my age group 40-44 but I finished 15th unofficially, official results will be out tomorrow.

Next up IM Racine 70.3 in July.

2010-06-13 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2918625

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
GRB1 - 2010-06-13 2:13 PM

Quick run down of this years race versus last years.  Same course except it was muggy and the roads were wet from drizzle/rain the previous night.  Run was on a hilly hiking trail/grass course, maybe 100 yards of total pavement, so it was heavy and the hills were a bit slippery from the rain/moisture on the ground.

Overall I felt pretty good.  Swim was not what I expected, thought I had a little more speed than this, but it was my first OWS of the year.  Very weedy/murky, kept having to pull it off my hands and goggles.  I did figure out I need a new wetsuit top, mine is to big due to weight loss.  Felt like a gallon of water sloshing around in each arm, added unnecessary weight.  Only complaint on the swim from an organization point is that they timed the Sprint and Olympic to finish at the same time.  A huge pile up ensued at the finish and I was stuck behind about 100 walkers clogging the way, no way to swim in.

Bike felt good, carried more speed on a hilly route. As mentioned the roads were slick on about 50% of the course.  Kind of weird but the water really feels like it creates a lot of drag on the wheels, that or I am giving myself a good excuse for slowing down at times

Run was much better than last year.  I did stop right away for a nature break, probably cost me around thirty seconds, but it is what it is.  My pace was about 45 seconds faster per mile on the same course so I am happy about that.

Overall I improved by 7:12 which is pretty good, I did cost myself about a minute extra in transition but I am guilty of not practicing the transition at all this year.  I don't know how many were in my age group 40-44 but I finished 15th unofficially, official results will be out tomorrow.

Way to go!  Congrats on the  improvement!
2010-06-13 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2918516

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
dharris13 - 2010-06-13 12:18 PM yeah thats what i came up with too...says he is from PA which we know is true. he kicked some A$$!!!! GO FRED!!![/QUOTE

I came up with the same.  He did great!!
2010-06-13 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2918625

Pro
Canandaigua NY

GRB1 - 2010-06-13 4:13 PM

Nice improvement!!!  Amazing how easy it is to lose a minute or 2 in transition!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121