of 10

2013-02-06 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4610381

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: Tri with Seren - CLOSED!
br1an_tri - 2013-02-05 8:57 PM

b2run - 2013-02-05 4:40 PM Hey!!  I got an article put in the article section.  Pretty cool feeling.  It's on running in the cold if you're interested.

Good article!  You didn't mention the extremities and the face.  What kind of gloves do you recommend for the cold?  My cheeks get numb.  What do you do to protect your face?  I have used a partial ski mask which helps.

Great job!

When it is really cold, I sometimes put a thin layer of vaseline around my eyes.  It keeps the wind off and keeps them from drying out.  For mitts, my favourite are a shell that I got from running room.  You can wear them over a pair of mitts when it is really cold and it keeps the wind out.  When it is warmer, you can just wear them.  I also got an awesome pair of running pants from the running room.  They are fleece lined with an outer, wind proof layer.  That is all I need to wear!  As for the cheeks . . . I use a big scarf, and when it's really cold - 2 scarves.

Edited by mrscanmore 2013-02-06 7:03 AM

2013-02-06 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4610381

User image

br1an_tri - 2013-02-05 8:57 PM

b2run - 2013-02-05 4:40 PM Hey!!  I got an article put in the article section.  Pretty cool feeling.  It's on running in the cold if you're interested.

Good article!  You didn't mention the extremities and the face.  What kind of gloves do you recommend for the cold?  My cheeks get numb.  What do you do to protect your face?  I have used a partial ski mask which helps.

I have a some thin cloth gloves, thick cloth gloves, and cross country ski mittens (thumb alone, fingers together).  Depending on the temperature, I wear different combinations.  Usually I wear the thin cloth with the cross country ski mitts over top.  I have cold hands and this does the trick for me.  Below - 25, I wear winter mitts.  When it gets that cold, my hands don't sweat so they're safe.  

The face is the hardest part.  I have a synthetic neck protector from the running room that I pull up over my chin.  It has a mesh that you supposedly pull over your mouth but I never use it.  It's hard to breath with it there.  The only thing I do with my face is spread Vaseline on it.  It helps a little.

Edited by b2run 2013-02-06 3:18 PM
2013-02-07 1:40 AM
in reply to: #4609991

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN

Really good article.  Nice Job. 

I use a neck gator when it's under 5 degrees.  I usually have it over my nose at the start of a run but I will start pulling it down as I heat up.  By the end of most runs, I have it all the way down. 

Thought I would post a picture of a two of my running buddies after one of our cold runs a couple years ago.  I had to take a picture of the ice on their faces. 

2013-02-07 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4553135

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
Ok, I've given up on trying to put my bike on the trainer!  If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.  It is a kurt kinetic road machine.  I'm not sure how to tell if I need to put on the extra piece (I think it is Part K) and also not sure about the rod with the quick release.  My back tire has a quick release and I don't see how it would fit. Any ideas?
2013-02-08 6:08 AM
in reply to: #4613725

User image

Haymarket, VA

mrscanmore - 2013-02-07 10:42 PM Ok, I've given up on trying to put my bike on the trainer!  If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.  It is a kurt kinetic road machine.  I'm not sure how to tell if I need to put on the extra piece (I think it is Part K) and also not sure about the rod with the quick release.  My back tire has a quick release and I don't see how it would fit. Any ideas?

Take some pictures and post them here, might help us to know what advice to give.  Typically though you want to replace the quick release skewer that came with your bike with the one that comes with the trainer.  It's designed to fit into the holds of the trainer better.

2013-02-08 8:58 PM

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
I got it going! Maybe I just needed some motivation.  I watched a few youtube videos today after school and figured out that I had to put in the rod with the quick release on it and replace mine.  Now it is up and running.  Went for a short ride.  It was hard work!!

2013-02-09 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4615319

User image

mrscanmore - 2013-02-08 8:58 PM I got it going!.  Went for a short ride.  It was hard work!!

No gears?

2013-02-09 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4615690

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
It was still hard!  I was trying to keep my cadence up between 80 - 90.  But it was a good first ride since summer.
2013-02-09 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4609991

User image

Expert
Boston

i haven't had a chance to read it yet.  I'm gonna have to print it out...but CONGRATS! 

2013-02-09 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4615319

User image

Expert
Boston

mrscanmore - 2013-02-08 9:58 PM I got it going! Maybe I just needed some motivation.  I watched a few youtube videos today after school and figured out that I had to put in the rod with the quick release on it and replace mine.  Now it is up and running.  Went for a short ride.  It was hard work!!

Great job!  You Tube is great for stuff like that!   Here's a link for some great ideas for the trainer

http://e3ts.com/test/bike-trainer-indoor-workouts/   Guarenteed to make you curse my coach's good name

2013-02-09 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
Just got in from shoveling 6.5 hours today after Nemo dumped 30 inches of snow on us!...and I ain't done yet. BUt its gonna have to wait til tomorrow.....I'm beat!

2013-02-09 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4615736

User image

mrscanmore - 2013-02-09 1:58 PM It was still hard!  I was trying to keep my cadence up between 80 - 90.  But it was a good first ride since summer.

The trainer is great for working on cadence.

Seren- I would be exhausted after that much shoveling.  It sounds like time for hot chocolate.

For me, today I swam an hour, lifted upper body, then spent 1:15 on the trainer.  Hopefully I still have some energy when I meet the guys for a ride tomorrow.

2013-02-11 6:48 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA

As part of my part time job I have to travel to a couple car racing tracks here in the VA region for races.  While there I have no access to workout equipment, and honestly with how long the days run I don't have time to squeeze in a run or a ride before or after the event.  With my current training plan that means I'll miss a swim, bike, run, and strength workout.  

So a question for the group.  In this situation, would you add a little extra to your workouts earlier in the week, or would you do your normal workouts during the earlier part of the week, and not worry about what you're missing at the end of the week?  

2013-02-11 11:32 AM

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
I would just leave it and go on like normal.  Could you squeeze in a walk or something over the lunch hour?  It would suck to do nothing!
2013-02-11 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4617034

User image

mleech77 - 2013-02-11 6:48 AM

As part of my part time job I have to travel to a couple car racing tracks here in the VA region for races.  While there I have no access to workout equipment, and honestly with how long the days run I don't have time to squeeze in a run or a ride before or after the event.  With my current training plan that means I'll miss a swim, bike, run, and strength workout.  

So a question for the group.  In this situation, would you add a little extra to your workouts earlier in the week, or would you do your normal workouts during the earlier part of the week, and not worry about what you're missing at the end of the week?  

I believe the conventional wisdom is that if you miss them, you miss them.  It does little good to try and make up the time on some other practice.  You may want to put a little extra time onto earlier practices but not too much.

2013-02-12 4:58 AM
in reply to: #4617034

User image

Expert
Boston
mleech77 - 2013-02-11 7:48 AM

Stick to your plan as far as earlier in the week and just chock the missing workouts  up to missed workouts.   You shouldn't lose your fitness in a week.  If you are itching to do something consider bodyweight exercises in the room......push-up, burpee, situp, planks, etc....

2013-02-13 3:51 PM

Hi Seren,

I have been taking swimming lessons and I am almost done with them. (didn't realize swimming was so hard) Should I train with trying to build my endurance in the pool doing laps?  I think I have the technique working right but really do not have the endurance to do more than one lap continuously ( 50 yds).  What do you recommend I start to work on my endurance in doing laps?   My last post I mis-spoke and meant breaststroke not the butterfly!  Goes to show what I know!!!

I hope you are dug out of the snow!!

Thanks for your help!!

LJ

2013-02-14 5:15 AM
in reply to: #4621253

User image

Expert
Boston
LOJO13 - 2013-02-13 4:51 PM

Hi Seren,

I have been taking swimming lessons and I am almost done with them. (didn't realize swimming was so hard) Should I train with trying to build my endurance in the pool doing laps?  I think I have the technique working right but really do not have the endurance to do more than one lap continuously ( 50 yds).  What do you recommend I start to work on my endurance in doing laps?   My last post I mis-spoke and meant breaststroke not the butterfly!  Goes to show what I know!!!

I hope you are dug out of the snow!!

Thanks for your help!!

LJ

/QUOTE]

Hi LJ

If you have got the technique down (note: one ALWAYS works on technique!)  I would start going for endurance

Try this - if u can't quite get there....don't worry just keep working towards it.....it will come! Warm Up: 50 Easy X 4
                2x50 swim/drill (25 drill/25 swim back incoprating the drill)
MS: 50 Easy X 4 - rest 30- 45 seconds in between  75 easy X 2
CD: 50 X 4 easy  25 X 4 easy

Just an idea!  A lot of people perceive swimming to be the hardest of the disciplines but remember...its also the shortest! 

2013-02-14 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
How is everybody else doing?  Getting kinda quiet in here!  I'm finally getting back to 1/2 iron training after my baaaaad cold!  Woo hoo! Run and swim brick yesterday and a great trainer ride today!  swim and run up again tomorrow.  Its been my early week at work so the alarms been ringing at 3:45AM  UGH!
2013-02-14 1:09 PM

User image

New user

Saskatchewan

I can't believe you get up that early!  I complain about 6:00!

I have a question . . .

Goggles leave really deep grooves around my eyes, even hours after swimming.  I bought a pair that I had researched on line - aquasphere kayenne, that were supposed to not leave marks.  I tried them out last night.  At first, they felt great.  They didn't feel like they had to suction to my face, they didn't leak and they they didn't fog up.  After about 750 m, I felt like they were digging in a bit.  At the end, I took them off and turned to my swim buddies to see if it was better than usual.  They just stared.  They were at least as bad as usual!  So, I don't want to damage the area around my eyes, any ideas of goggles that won't do this?

2013-02-14 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4622486

User image

mrscanmore - 2013-02-14 2:09 PM

I can't believe you get up that early!  I complain about 6:00!

I have a question . . .

Goggles leave really deep grooves around my eyes, even hours after swimming.  I bought a pair that I had researched on line - aquasphere kayenne, that were supposed to not leave marks.  I tried them out last night.  At first, they felt great.  They didn't feel like they had to suction to my face, they didn't leak and they they didn't fog up.  After about 750 m, I felt like they were digging in a bit.  At the end, I took them off and turned to my swim buddies to see if it was better than usual.  They just stared.  They were at least as bad as usual!  So, I don't want to damage the area around my eyes, any ideas of goggles that won't do this?

I have some tecnoflex goggles from TYR that leave a mark, but not as bad as the ones from Speedo.   They also form a better seal and cover a wider area of the eyesocket.

2013-02-15 8:34 PM

User image

I bought a center face snorkel and tried it out yesterday.  I couldn't stop water from going up my nose.  Has anyone else had experience with these?  Any suggestions?
2013-02-16 12:48 AM

User image

New user

Saskatchewan

I contacted aquasphere online.  I told them what happened, and the page said that they would get back to me within 5-7 business days.  The next morning I had an email from them saying that they would send me out a new pair of their newest line of goggles!  So, hopefully these ones work better for me.

2013-02-16 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4624701

User image

That is nice service.
2013-02-18 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4624701

User image

Expert
Boston
mrscanmore - 2013-02-16 1:48 AM

I contacted aquasphere online.  I told them what happened, and the page said that they would get back to me within 5-7 business days.  The next morning I had an email from them saying that they would send me out a new pair of their newest line of goggles!  So, hopefully these ones work better for me.

Awesome!  I hope the next pair work well for you!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri with Seren - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 10