BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2008-12-25 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED

Thanks Heidi!

Kellie- I read what you said about the Olympic v the Sprint distance.  I am still thinking on it...

Merry Christmas everyone!  I gotta go hop on that trainer before my company gets here...

2008-12-25 11:20 AM

User image

Expert

Merry Christmas all!

-Heidi

2008-12-26 9:19 AM

User image

Expert

Computer question:

First, Hi and I hope every one had a great Holiday.

Second, My husband gave me a bike computer for Christmas! I was completely psyched and went to put it on the bike last night. Then, I realized that model he got me is for the front tire. I was sitting on the floor, in front of my bike, scratching my head. Because I'm soo mechanically inclined, it only took me 3 or 4 minutes to figure out what was wrong the systemEmbarassed

We talked last night and I'll take it back to the store to exchange for a rear tire mounted system. I can spend more $ if I need to, because I received $ as part of another gift.

So, the question is: What does every one recommend for using on the trainer? I'd like wireless, and I want to spend under $100. I don't need expensive, fancy or a million buttons. What does every one else use?

I'm on my way to the LBS to see what they have in stock.

-Heidi

Edited by slow turtle 2008-12-26 9:22 AM
2008-12-26 1:11 PM
in reply to: #1871314

User image

Master
Thanks again for biking program comments, Greg! I was just reading over the RPE levels again and I think I did the first two workouts way too hard. It tops out at a RPE of 7, and to me a 7 should be decently comfortable -- certainly not gasping for air counting down the seconds (I wasn't quite there, but close!). Would you agree? I am anxious to do the LTHR test to have more "concrete" data to work with... what scares me about that is figuring out how to push to the hairy edge for 30 minutes on a bike. I can do it on the run -- I have experience with pacing, distance, sprints, etc. and can find that pace that I can just barely hold for the 30 minutes. I'm "scared" about going way too hard on the bike and dying or not getting close enough to the edge and therefore not having a good, accurate test. Does that make sense?!

Anyway, I took a Christmas pass yesterday but am doing day 3 today. I also got my Garmin for Christmas and am totally chomping at the bit to take it out on a run. We have lots of snow, melting and turning slushy and the terrain sucks for running, so I may need to wait a day or two for that .

Sorry, Heidi, no advice on bike computers from me. I'm pretty clueless!

Hope everyone had a great holiday. Bronwyn, you get to start finding your mo today, right??!! Bring it on!!
2008-12-26 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1872458

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
slow turtle - 2008-12-26 9:19 AM

Computer question:

First, Hi and I hope every one had a great Holiday.

Second, My husband gave me a bike computer for Christmas! I was completely psyched and went to put it on the bike last night. Then, I realized that model he got me is for the front tire. I was sitting on the floor, in front of my bike, scratching my head. Because I'm soo mechanically inclined, it only took me 3 or 4 minutes to figure out what was wrong the systemEmbarassed

We talked last night and I'll take it back to the store to exchange for a rear tire mounted system. I can spend more $ if I need to, because I received $ as part of another gift.

So, the question is: What does every one recommend for using on the trainer? I'd like wireless, and I want to spend under $100. I don't need expensive, fancy or a million buttons. What does every one else use?

I'm on my way to the LBS to see what they have in stock.

-Heidi

Don't know what to suggest, because right now I have 2 computers on my bike.  I have a Polar CS200CAD that stays on all the time, and a low cost Cateye Strada Cadence that I put on in winter for my trainer.  It is wired which is part of the reason that I don't just use that one all the time. 

2008-12-26 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1872676

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

kkcbelle - 2008-12-26 1:11 PM Thanks again for biking program comments, Greg! I was just reading over the RPE levels again and I think I did the first two workouts way too hard. It tops out at a RPE of 7, and to me a 7 should be decently comfortable -- certainly not gasping for air counting down the seconds (I wasn't quite there, but close!). Would you agree? I am anxious to do the LTHR test to have more "concrete" data to work with... what scares me about that is figuring out how to push to the hairy edge for 30 minutes on a bike. I can do it on the run -- I have experience with pacing, distance, sprints, etc. and can find that pace that I can just barely hold for the 30 minutes. I'm "scared" about going way too hard on the bike and dying or not getting close enough to the edge and therefore not having a good, accurate test. Does that make sense?! Anyway, I took a Christmas pass yesterday but am doing day 3 today. I also got my Garmin for Christmas and am totally chomping at the bit to take it out on a run. We have lots of snow, melting and turning slushy and the terrain sucks for running, so I may need to wait a day or two for that . Sorry, Heidi, no advice on bike computers from me. I'm pretty clueless! Hope everyone had a great holiday. Bronwyn, you get to start finding your mo today, right??!! Bring it on!!

There are a couple variations of the RPE scale.  The one I use is a scale of 0-10, which is what most trainers use.  A seven should be considered Very Strong.  If I am using HR, I would say that I am somewhere between 105% and over my LTHR.  My definition of decently comfortable would be RPE 3 or so with a corresponding HR of 69-84% of LTHR.  Of course I could be completely off my rocker, so if any pro's out there want to correct me, please do.  I am always trying to learn and I have always trained by HR, so RPE is new to me.

Don't worry about the test.  If you are good at setting a pace on the run, you can do it on the bike.  You will want to feel the same way on the bike as you do on a 30 minute run where you can "barely" hold pace.  Your legs will feel it much more in the quads, but for me it's the breathing that I need to monitor more so.  I just took it up til I was really panting and held it there!  It also helps that I had an idea of my sustainable max HR so I tried to stay at or over that.  I ended up a couple beats below.

Edited by Gregkl 2008-12-26 2:57 PM

2008-12-26 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1872744

User image

Master
Yeah Greg -- I'm with you on the RPE I think... I spent some time this morning reading and re-reading Jorge's scales in his blog, and what's confusing is that he has two charts. One is a 2-7 chart, and one is a 1-10 chart. So maybe this morning I got things tweaked around in my head and in hindsight I probably did those earlier workouts just fine. And I probably loafed today's!! Ha ha! Although today was Q3 of W1 and was much more of an "endurance" workout -- lower effort for much longer times. As I said, I will be anxious to do the test as I sort-of feel like I am guessing a bit too much right now. But at least I'm getting the workouts in on some level so that's good. I think to me, decently comfortable would be around a 5, really easy would be a 3-4 (warm-up/cool-down). A 10 is on the verge of puking/collapsing -- all-out sprint at the end of a 5K. I remember that there was some discussion of RPE levels in the thread, so now that I have done a few workouts I'll see what else I can find out!!

I had a biking epiphany today. I am a newer cyclist (got my road bike late summer 06) but have run and swam (swum?) for year. I think when you're newer to a sport it's harder to find those subtle pace differences. I can do runs at all different levels of controlled effort. Biking almost seems to kill me or be nice and easy. I do find the middle ground but it's less natural and I really have to concentrate on it, if that makes sense.

And thanks once again for the test comments. I am getting all worked up over it, which is really silly. It's still a week+ away!
2008-12-26 4:28 PM

User image

Expert

Kyla-I feel like I'm guessing a lot on the RPE issue too. I came to the same conclusion as you at this point-atleast it's getting me on the bike with some sort of structure.

I'm also in the process of trying to figure out my strengths and limits on the bike. How fast I can go for varying distances...what gears to use.

2008-12-27 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Heidi - I have my Garmin mounted to my bike with the cadence sensor.  I like it so far...

I get to take it out for a run tomorrow at Stoney Creek.  I am hoping for no ice on the bike path!! 

Kyla - I am totally on target since xmas is over!

I weighed in at 157lbs.  I am 5'8" and weighed in the 130s before I hurt my achilles tendon (I completely went downhill after that).  I have a lot to lose before racing starts.  I am logging all my food on myfooddiary.com and trying to stay with whole grains, lean meats, fruits and veggies.   I already feel better after 1 1/2 days of eating well.  My training and mood should improve.

Speaking of heart rates...I need to redo a cycling and running HR test.  I think I have everything too low.  It is hard pushing yourself to get an accurate maxHR.  I forgot my dumb HR monitor when I ran a 5k...that would of been the perfect time to measure it.  I may do another race on New Years Eve just to push myself.

2008-12-27 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Bronwyn,

You just gave me an idea.  I haven't done my run HR test in awhile, but I just ran a 5k this morning and I would say I hit it pretty hard.  Not a PR, but close.  I hit a 177 average which should come out to a 172 LTHR.  That's 2 beats higher than what I have been using.

Thanks!

2008-12-27 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hey guys!  Im in Chicago with the family, so besides the gym here, walking is my workouts for the weekend.   Toooo much ham and potatoes this week with all the christmas stuff,   Im up 1. 5 pounds     Next week stars a new year, holidays over, etc, and through Christmas and Thanksgiving, that 1.5 pounds is all Ive gained  (it may actually be gone now that all the salt is washed out!).   So that is good and I successfully didnt gain through the holidays!

I was amazed to read that about 8 pounds is the average for most people to gain.  I can see how since I have really watched it though last couple of years!

For you guys trying to establish your zones...   does everyone have, or willing to get, a HR monitor?   

Those of you doing Jorges program, he seems to explain it well, Greg seems to be doing a good job explaining it all   Thanks Greg!    Another note.... If you do not have a power meter, or a HR monitor, but do have a speedometer attached, I personally us speed(pace) as my zones.    I do know my HR zones also, it is on for my tests, but it is more a secondary measure to speed, pace, (and power on my trainer).  

HR can be a bit deceiving since there is a lag in reading, and is also dependant on a other factors (temperature, fatigue, the HR monitor itself, etc).   So it is a bit more real time, and knowing your pace (speed) for your zones can help you a bit more than paying straight attention to your RPE or HR.      Just suggestions for those looking for ways to monitor their workouts better, and following prescribed zones in their plans.  They do help, and they do have a purpose!

I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas!

2008-12-27 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1873586

User image

Master
Gregkl - 2008-12-27 1:37 PM

Bronwyn,

You just gave me an idea.  I haven't done my run HR test in awhile, but I just ran a 5k this morning and I would say I hit it pretty hard.  Not a PR, but close.  I hit a 177 average which should come out to a 172 LTHR.  That's 2 beats higher than what I have been using.

Thanks!

How does that work, with the 177 average becoming a 172 LTHR? (I need to read more on this.)

I got the Garmin multisport -- so I guess I can use the cadence sensor to do cadence on my trainer (would it track distance too?). My current computer (Blackburn, I think) is wireless on the front tire, so I don't get any feedback on the trainer, just HR from my separate monitor.

My weight is at 131.5, which is in the lower range of my usual fluctuations. I think I'm probably a little dehydrated as I feel like I do (and should) weigh more. But maybe Jorge's workouts are giving me some uber metabolism boosts.

Good job, Bronwyn, getting on track. It feels good to be kind to your body after you've been through a slump. And congrats Greg on the great 5k!
2008-12-27 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Kyla - I have the Forerunner 305 and it tracks distance on the trainer, but I don't know how accurate it would be.  I use it in a comparative way.  When I take the bike outside in the spring, I am sure everything will feel different with the road, wind, etc.

This tri stuff is very complicated.  If I keep training (despite my lack of knowledge), I am hoping to not embarrass myself come June 21st.  

Kellie - now...if you ate like that everyday for a month you would gain at least 8 lbs!   I am sure the 1.5 lbs already is gone.  

2008-12-27 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1873647

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
kkcbelle - 2008-12-27 3:16 PM
Gregkl - 2008-12-27 1:37 PM

Bronwyn,

Thanks!

How does that work, with the 177 average becoming a 172 LTHR? (I need to read more on this.)

I got the Garmin multisport -- so I guess I can use the cadence sensor to do cadence on my trainer (would it track distance too?). My current computer (Blackburn, I think) is wireless on the front tire, so I don't get any feedback on the trainer, just HR from my separate monitor. My weight is at 131.5, which is in the lower range of my usual fluctuations. I think I'm probably a little dehydrated as I feel like I do (and should) weigh more. But maybe Jorge's workouts are giving me some uber metabolism boosts. Good job, Bronwyn, getting on track. It feels good to be kind to your body after you've been through a slump. And congrats Greg on the great 5k!

I take my average HR for the entire test and mulitpy by 97% to get my LTHR.  Remember I was redlining the entire test(race).

2008-12-27 6:31 PM
in reply to: #1873685

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Bronwyn1968 - 2008-12-27 3:58 PM

Kyla - I have the Forerunner 305 and it tracks distance on the trainer, but I don't know how accurate it would be.  I use it in a comparative way.  When I take the bike outside in the spring, I am sure everything will feel different with the road, wind, etc.

This tri stuff is very complicated.  If I keep training (despite my lack of knowledge), I am hoping to not embarrass myself come June 21st.  

Kellie - now...if you ate like that everyday for a month you would gain at least 8 lbs!   I am sure the 1.5 lbs already is gone.  

Haha.. last year I was about a month into starting to train for my Ironman and working out 10-14 hours a week at least, so I had some food FUN last year and didnt gain!  Sigghhh... not this year

2008-12-28 10:20 AM

User image

Expert

After my trip to the LBS I picked up the Cateye strata cadence to use on the trainer. Today, I'm scheduled to do day 3 of week 1 for Jorges program. So I'm looking foreward to seeing how it works! I have no idea of what my cadence or MPH's might be, so it'll be fun!

I went to the pool yesterday, and for the first time, was able to maintain a good breathing pattern for the entire time! When I started swimming, I was completely a "head out of the water" swimmer. So this is a huge improvement for me. I think I'm going to have a bunch of swim technique questions soon!

Two more "get togethers" scheduled for today-Hoping to bike between them.

Happy belated Birthday Greg!

2008-12-28 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1874379

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2008-12-28 10:20 AM

After my trip to the LBS I picked up the Cateye strata cadence to use on the trainer. Today, I'm scheduled to do day 3 of week 1 for Jorges program. So I'm looking foreward to seeing how it works! I have no idea of what my cadence or MPH's might be, so it'll be fun!

I went to the pool yesterday, and for the first time, was able to maintain a good breathing pattern for the entire time! When I started swimming, I was completely a "head out of the water" swimmer. So this is a huge improvement for me. I think I'm going to have a bunch of swim technique questions soon!

Two more "get togethers" scheduled for today-Hoping to bike between them.

Happy belated Birthday Greg!

Nice!   Being able to hold a good breathing pattern the whole time will help out a lot when you got to work on straight form work.    There are quite a few different drills to help you out when you feel ready for them , I could share some, and I know a couple of the other group members said they were pretty good swimmers!!

2008-12-28 7:16 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Pheww.. if you guys get a chance, go check out the No Sugar challenge in the challenge me forum!!!   Those guys are going hard core over there!!   If you have time though, seriously check it out.  The challenge is closed now, but some good suggestions going on in there and they are pretty serious about it.  I am too starting this week, it kind of rekindled the fire I had going on to get going on this weightloss/body composition once these holidays were over.
2008-12-29 8:23 AM
in reply to: #1874691

User image

Expert
kellc09 - 2008-12-28 6:28 PM

Nice!   Being able to hold a good breathing pattern the whole time will help out a lot when you got to work on straight form work.    There are quite a few different drills to help you out when you feel ready for them , I could share some, and I know a couple of the other group members said they were pretty good swimmers!!

Kellie-How will I know when I'm ready to do some swim drills? Up to this point, I've just been doing basic laps wiht the crawl.

2008-12-29 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL

I'm finally getting back into the groove after a horrible lapse Christmas week, not as much training combined with WAY too much eating has me feeling flabby and out of shape.  Got a run and swim in yesterday, and did some weight training this morning.  I'm planning to do what I can this week, but it's a busy one again with a trip to my Mom's this weekend.  The 2nd week of January I'm going to start my 1/2 marathon training, and continue to work hard on my swimming technique. 

Also, just found out my wife and I are expecting our first child in August!!  It's still early, but I'm excited (and nervous) beyond belief.  This does mean no triathlon in Naperville in August though

2008-12-29 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1875552

User image

Expert
matt_d - 2008-12-29 9:40 AM

I'm finally getting back into the groove after a horrible lapse Christmas week, not as much training combined with WAY too much eating has me feeling flabby and out of shape.  Got a run and swim in yesterday, and did some weight training this morning.  I'm planning to do what I can this week, but it's a busy one again with a trip to my Mom's this weekend.  The 2nd week of January I'm going to start my 1/2 marathon training, and continue to work hard on my swimming technique. 

Also, just found out my wife and I are expecting our first child in August!!  It's still early, but I'm excited (and nervous) beyond belief.  This does mean no triathlon in Naperville in August though

Welcome Back Matt. And, WOW! Congratulations to you and your wife. This is your first, right?

-Heidi

2008-12-29 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Congratulations on the pending fatherhood, Matt!!
2008-12-29 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1875555

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL

Welcome Back Matt. And, WOW! Congratulations to you and your wife. This is your first, right?

-Heidi

Yep (YIKES!)

2008-12-29 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
matt_d - 2008-12-29 8:40 AM

Oh wow congrats MATT!!!!!!

2008-12-29 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1875522

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2008-12-29 8:23 AM
kellc09 - 2008-12-28 6:28 PM

Kellie-How will I know when I'm ready to do some swim drills? Up to this point, I've just been doing basic laps wiht the crawl.

You probably could right now.   If you had to choose, what do you think you need some help with?  Proper body position like balance, breathing, feet dropping?   I'll then send a couple youtube videos of a couple different drills that might help you out

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30