BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2009-01-09 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1857347

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (Full)

Wes, I'm sorry for your loss.

Kirk, I hope your hangover isn't too bad today and your arms aren't too sore from all those gator chomps you probably did.

Happy Friday everyone!!!

2009-01-09 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1897070

User image

Expert
I did many chomps and many shots!! Court came early today and I will need to ride double tommorrow with the rest of the gator nation!! Hope everyone is ready for the weekend. Any racing???
2009-01-09 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1897798

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
Congrats to Gator fans. Sooners had the game in their grasp a couple of times and couldn't close it out. Props to Gators defense. I may go swim today to help hide the tears.
2009-01-09 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1898079

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

wkirbytri - 2009-01-09 2:10 PM Congrats to Gator fans. Sooners had the game in their grasp a couple of times and couldn't close it out. Props to Gators defense. I may go swim today to help hide the tears.

Swimming sounds like good therapy.  I have seen many stickers and magnets that say things like "Running/Triathlon is cheaper than therapy" and it's true. 

I don't think anyone is racing this weekend, at least from what I've seen in logs.  I was thinking a few months ago about doing a 20 miler that is this Sunday, but am SO glad I'm not signed up for it cause I'm not quite to that distance yet and it would've been too soon before my marathon. I do have some distance to cover this weekend though!!

2009-01-09 3:51 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Hey all!  I spent today at the doctor with Liam, my 4 year old.  He has had a cough for about two weeks that he just couldn't shake.  Turns out he has fluid in his lungs and a double ear infection!   Oops!  I guess I should have taken him to the doctor sooner but he didn't feel sick at all!  No fever, no pain, just a yucky cough.  After the doctor appointment we had to pick up his med's bu, the pharmacy was too crowded.  So we went and got Liam's hair cut and had lunch.  By that point, it was time for him to go to school.  (I know, he's sick but acting normal.  He wanted to go to school) I dropped him off and went back to the pharmacy and sat there until 2:17.  Ugh!!  So, no gym for me today.  No green in my graph.  I am hoping to get there tomorrow morning before the snow starts flying!  Wish me luck!
2009-01-09 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1898458

User image

Expert
Yuck. That blows. I hope he gets better!

2009-01-10 9:20 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Erica, ahh, I hope your son feels better soon, especially with your husband just recently leaving.  So today I have my LONG run and we have a wind advisory, like 25-30mph sustained winds. UGH...I hate living in a wind tunnel...this is why I live on my trainer sometimes when it comes to cycling.  It is supposed to lessen up around noon, so I'll head out then.

I'm looking at maybe re-opening the group here.  Lots of folks jumped on board initially--but haven't stopped in or put anything in their logs.  I don't intend to "drop" anyone, as they might reappear and if so, we're here for you...but if there are some others out there that need an active group, then I want to have that available.  Any thoughts?

How is everyone doing? How is everyone's consistency?  Consistency is really a key to training and goal achievement!

2009-01-10 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1899400

User image

Elite
Connecticut
TexasMPGal - 2009-01-10 10:20 AM

Erica, ahh, I hope your son feels better soon, especially with your husband just recently leaving.  So today I have my LONG run and we have a wind advisory, like 25-30mph sustained winds. UGH...I hate living in a wind tunnel...this is why I live on my trainer sometimes when it comes to cycling.  It is supposed to lessen up around noon, so I'll head out then.

I'm looking at maybe re-opening the group here.  Lots of folks jumped on board initially--but haven't stopped in or put anything in their logs.  I don't intend to "drop" anyone, as they might reappear and if so, we're here for you...but if there are some others out there that need an active group, then I want to have that available.  Any thoughts?

How is everyone doing? How is everyone's consistency?  Consistency is really a key to training and goal achievement!

I think re-opening the group is a good idea.  I wish our other members would pop up and chat with us! 

I got to the gym this morning.  I biked for an hour!  Finally got some green in my graph!  I actually enjoyed it too.  I missed the sweat dripping off me as I pedal forever and don't go anywhere! Okay, maybe not but I sure did feel good when I got off.  Now I need to carry over till next week.  Consistency is right....I need to work on that!

2009-01-10 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1899584

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
ebshot - 2009-01-10 12:05 PM

I think re-opening the group is a good idea.  I wish our other members would pop up and chat with us! 

I got to the gym this morning.  I biked for an hour!  Finally got some green in my graph!  I actually enjoyed it too.  I missed the sweat dripping off me as I pedal forever and don't go anywhere! Okay, maybe not but I sure did feel good when I got off.  Now I need to carry over till next week.  Consistency is right....I need to work on that!

I haven't been part of a group on here before, so do what you think is best for the group!

Congrats on the green in your graph Erica! I seriously need some purple in mine. That means I actually have to go to the pool... wow I can be lazy sometimes

We had a b-day slumber party here last night -- 7 girls in the sixth grade. I used to be able to hang out and play games with them, now they just want to turn up the music and dance and talk about boys. I don't remember going through so many changes in one year growing up... but then again I was just a boy that cared about getting dirty outside and finding a game of hoops, baseball or football.
2009-01-10 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1899709

User image

Expert

Long day for me. Drove 4 hours to my kids shi#t hometown to watch my youngest play hoops. But I did get a trainer ride in!!

I vote to re-open....Not that I mind the personal attention, but I think Erica and I are kinda "experienced" beginners too.

2009-01-10 6:25 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (OPEN FOR BUSINESS))
OKAY, the group is re-opened....so if it's the first time you're reading this and want to jump in, let us know a little bit about yourself.  We're trying to get a little bit more participation with an already warm and friendly group. Jump on in!!

2009-01-10 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (OPEN AGAIN, JUMP ON IN!)
Finally got some purple on my board! Now what is the best way to keep water from swishing around in your head afterwards?? Do any of ya'll wear ear plugs or something?

---
Wes
2009-01-10 7:42 PM
in reply to: #1900132

User image

Elite
Connecticut

wkirbytri - 2009-01-10 8:27 PM Finally got some purple on my board! Now what is the best way to keep water from swishing around in your head afterwards?? Do any of ya'll wear ear plugs or something? --- Wes

I use ear plugs.  Otherwise I have water in my ears all day and it drives me nuts.  Ear plugs and a swim cap are a must.  I have tried the silicone moldable ones but I couldn't get a good seal.  So, I use the rubber ones.  These:

(1172-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1172-1.jpg (2KB - 12 downloads)
2009-01-11 1:41 PM
in reply to: #1900143

User image

Expert
Big snow here last night made me punk out to the treadmill for my run today. Go Giants!!
2009-01-11 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1900805

User image

Elite
Connecticut

gator22 - 2009-01-11 2:41 PM Big snow here last night made me punk out to the treadmill for my run today. Go Giants!!

Ice here.  No running for me.  

2009-01-11 7:10 PM

User image

Lubbock

Hello, this is my first post but I have been lurking around over the last month.  I signed up a few weeks ago to join a mentor group but before I had been processed through it filled up. 

I am new, new, new to triathlon training.  I have started my training and just ran a 2 mile race with our local running club.

I was looking for a mentor that was female, positive, and could help me with my million questions!!!(its nice your in Texas too)

If your group is taking newbies I would love to be a part of your group!Laughing

Thanks!!!!

2009-01-11 7:20 PM
in reply to: #1901231

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
HARDCandy - 2009-01-11 7:10 PM

Hello, this is my first post but I have been lurking around over the last month.  I signed up a few weeks ago to join a mentor group but before I had been processed through it filled up.  I am new, new, new to triathlon training.  I have started my training and just ran a 2 mile race with our local running club.
I was looking for a mentor that was female, positive, and could help me with my million questions!!!(its nice your in Texas too)
If your group is taking newbies I would love to be a part of your group!Laughing
Thanks!!!!

Well yes, I am open and any level of tri experience, from zero to many is welcome, so WELCOME!! The only rules are, pop in every now in then, give us access to your logs so we can encourage you, and ASK QUESTIONS! We have a variety of experience and goals here in the group--and there is no turning down Texans!

If you could, give us a little bit about yourself (check out page 1 and you can learn about us) and jump right in with questions and we'll do what we can to help you have a BLAST your first tri season!!

2009-01-11 7:59 PM

User image

Lubbock

Okay about me:

Name: Meg aka Hard Candy

Story: Last year I was a Derby Girl, loved the sport but wanted to make a change. Over the years Triathlons have caught my attention.  I knew I needed to replace my ole sport with a new one and this is it!  I have always loved to run (although out of shape for much of a distance it right now) I used to be a lifeguard so love to swim (that was awhile ago too) and enjoy biking, causal though....road bikes do scare me a bit.  I am a big girl and will be an Athena for sure at 6 foot tall and heavy. I wanna loose weight, and participate in this awesome sport, and meet new friends.

Family Status: Married with to an awesome guy and have two great Akitas! 
Current Training: Currently Running 2x week, swimming 2x week and weight training

2009 Races: 2mile Race Around the Lake 1-10-09 (finished my first goal....yeah) 4 mile Cotton Patch Run 2-14-09 ......more in the middle.....  Second goal 5-09 Sprint Triathlon at Buffalo Springs Lake...and more to follow!

Weightloss: Id like to loose 25 pounds over the next few months and go from there.....

Thats a little about me.........Embarassed

2009-01-11 11:06 PM

Hi, Brittany!  If you have room, I would like to join your group.

Name:Gatorbait/Diana (yes, as the screen name implies, Go Gators!)

Story: I have played sports all of my life.  Played D-I ice hockey in college.  Started running in graduate school (went to UF for my Ph.D.), then got into triathlon two years ago.  I didn't know how to swim, so my running parter taught me.  I tried a local sprint and got totally hooked! I completed two HIMs last season, and am signed up for my first full in 2009 (IMWI).  I still play ice hockey a lot (I am a goalie), and am a tae kwon do martial artist.  I am a twenty-seven year old college professor. 

Family Status: Married to my best friend for a little over two years.  We have a furry white cat and two chickens.

Current Training: I am on the BT HIM 20-week plan in preparation for Oceanside 70.3.  I am finding it very demanding, specifically the number of bike hours it requires.   I live in the Northeast and hate riding the trainer.  After Oceanside, I will bridge to the IM plan.

2009 Races: Colchester half marathon, Oceanside 70.3, Rhode Island 70.3, IM Wisconsin, Baltimore Marathon, and a few local sprints over the summer (my town has a low key series bi weekly.  I will also throw in a few more local half marathons, as I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend morning!

Weightloss: I am currently at 134, a little to heavy for my liking (I am 5'5).  I am planning to race Oceanside under 130. 

Thanks for reading!

2009-01-12 5:59 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Meg- Great details! Wow, 6' tall...at my short 5'3" that just seems towering! Your normal stride can probably cover 2-3 of mine!

Diana- You're in!! I'm quite sure Kirk (gator22) won't mind another Gator fan in the group, though Wes (wkirbytri) our OU fan may object a little.   I definitely welcome someone else tackling an IM this year for the first time as well.  Sounds like quite a full schedule for you with a lot of fun racing.  I agree on 1/2 Marathons-- I am a big fan of that distance! We seem to have a lot in common (though I think our other sports vary some, can't say I'm a hockey player or can kick anyone's butt in tae kwon do!) and I'd love to have your input here in the group!

2009-01-12 6:22 AM
in reply to: #1901648

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Gatorbait - 2009-01-12 12:06 AM

Hi, Brittany!  If you have room, I would like to join your group.

Name:Gatorbait/Diana (yes, as the screen name implies, Go Gators!)

Story: I have played sports all of my life.  Played D-I ice hockey in college.  Started running in graduate school (went to UF for my Ph.D.), then got into triathlon two years ago.  I didn't know how to swim, so my running parter taught me.  I tried a local sprint and got totally hooked! I completed two HIMs last season, and am signed up for my first full in 2009 (IMWI).  I still play ice hockey a lot (I am a goalie), and am a tae kwon do martial artist.  I am a twenty-seven year old college professor. 

Family Status: Married to my best friend for a little over two years.  We have a furry white cat and two chickens.

Current Training: I am on the BT HIM 20-week plan in preparation for Oceanside 70.3.  I am finding it very demanding, specifically the number of bike hours it requires.   I live in the Northeast and hate riding the trainer.  After Oceanside, I will bridge to the IM plan.

2009 Races: Colchester half marathon, Oceanside 70.3, Rhode Island 70.3, IM Wisconsin, Baltimore Marathon, and a few local sprints over the summer (my town has a low key series bi weekly.  I will also throw in a few more local half marathons, as I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend morning!

Weightloss: I am currently at 134, a little to heavy for my liking (I am 5'5).  I am planning to race Oceanside under 130. 

Thanks for reading!

Diana, are you in New England??  I'm in Groton, CT.  I also have the Colchester Half and RI 70.3 on my race schedule.

Welcome to both you and Meg!   

2009-01-12 7:03 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
2009-01-12 7:35 AM
in reply to: #1901774

User image

Expert

Sweet. New blood. Go Gators! Since my Giants lost yesterday and the Red Sox are doomed this season to play second fiddle to the free spending Yankees, I shall take consolation in Tim Tebow's return to college!

How have you guys/gals felt about the BT training plans? I am currently on a HIM plan from the book Training Plans for Multisport Athletes .  It is good, but a lot of swimming. I might switch to that BT plan. Swimming is my most comfortable sport. I should run more too, but I need recovery and get beat up on my runs because I am so heavy (245). My current plan usually calls for 2 rides a week, with one being longer. I am wondering if I switch to a more bike intensive plan that some of that bike fitness might translate to running ????

2009-01-12 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1901350

User image

Expert
HARDCandy - 2009-01-11 7:59 PM

Okay about me:

Name: Meg aka Hard Candy

Story: Last year I was a Derby Girl, loved the sport but wanted to make a change. Over the years Triathlons have caught my attention.  I knew I needed to replace my ole sport with a new one and this is it!  I have always loved to run (although out of shape for much of a distance it right now) I used to be a lifeguard so love to swim (that was awhile ago too) and enjoy biking, causal though....road bikes do scare me a bit.  I am a big girl and will be an Athena for sure at 6 foot tall and heavy. I wanna loose weight, and participate in this awesome sport, and meet new friends.

Family Status: Married with to an awesome guy and have two great Akitas! 
Current Training: Currently Running 2x week, swimming 2x week and weight training

2009 Races: 2mile Race Around the Lake 1-10-09 (finished my first goal....yeah) 4 mile Cotton Patch Run 2-14-09 ......more in the middle.....  Second goal 5-09 Sprint Triathlon at Buffalo Springs Lake...and more to follow!

Weightloss: Id like to loose 25 pounds over the next few months and go from there.....

Thats a little about me.........Embarassed

Derby? Roller Derby? You should check out Medusa Ann. She does that in Seattle. It looks bad !!

2009-01-12 9:09 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
I'm a little askeered by roller derby girls!  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  

of 20