BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-01-20 3:42 PM
in reply to: #1858074

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Subject: RE: Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL
Hi all, in answer to the question I find out about the Great North Run on the 9th Feb. If I don't get in I've decided that I'm going to enter the great Scottish Run in October instead.

I have a busy week ahead, I'm in Spain Thur and Fri then travel to the US on Saturday and will be there a week. It's going to be really busy and I don't know what I'll be able to get done but I'll keep trying as much as I can.

Does anyone pay much attention to heart rate. My spin class guru swears by it and my PT said to ignore it. The reason I ask is that I was up to about 183 bpm tonight and my max using the 223 - age is 187 so I was near max, max, can this really be right?

2009-01-21 6:18 AM
in reply to: #1918570

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
krystyna47 - 2009-01-21 5:26 AM

Well, I'm personally enjoying the winter snow and getting calves of steel running through it for a couple of hours a week!

Masters swimming restarts tonight - and I might be moving up to a speedier lane. Exciting!

I'm really having a tough time finding triathlons in my area. There's always the annual triathlon in Montreal (which is what I went to in September) but that's not nearly enough. Hmf. So many are in the US or west, in B.C.

Yay - calves of steel! Good work. I am hoping all my HIM training will give me more calf definition as well

Good luck for the swimming promotion!

Its a shame there aren't more tris in your area - are there no local clubs or organisations in your area?

2009-01-21 6:23 AM
in reply to: #1918755

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Kate_r - 2009-01-21 6:42 AM Hi all, in answer to the question I find out about the Great North Run on the 9th Feb. If I don't get in I've decided that I'm going to enter the great Scottish Run in October instead. I have a busy week ahead, I'm in Spain Thur and Fri then travel to the US on Saturday and will be there a week. It's going to be really busy and I don't know what I'll be able to get done but I'll keep trying as much as I can. Does anyone pay much attention to heart rate. My spin class guru swears by it and my PT said to ignore it. The reason I ask is that I was up to about 183 bpm tonight and my max using the 223 - age is 187 so I was near max, max, can this really be right?

Wow, thats a lot of travelling for you! Do you get to do much sightseeing or is it all just work related?

I think the 220-age is a very crude way of measuring heart rate. I think its a very individual thing, ideally you need to do a personal VO2 max test (I think thats correct) which will work it out for you exactly.

I do pay attention to my HR because it tells me when I am not working hard enough. I've been using it in my HIM training.

2009-01-21 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1918755

Good question

I do pay attention to my HR as it appears to correlate with effort. Your HR will of course vary by sport. Spinning and running for me have higher HR's than swimming. I cannot sustain that level of effort (180's) for long- usually I am doing intervals when it gets that high.

(In a tri- my HR is high (170's-180's)-suggesting I am not pacing myself. This is a new goal for me to work on this year)!

I plan 2 key/hard workouts per week. I let my HR rise for those workouts. Although my max for age should be in the 180's I have clocked myself in spin calls in the low 200's. My resting HR tends to be higher than others of similar age. For a hard run, at the finish of a race, I might be 183-185. There workouts take longer to recover from.

That being said, the rest of my workouts will be at a lower RPE and HR- somewhere between 140-160. I recover faster with this level of effort.

So, I follow HR to manage my workout effort- not because I am worried about it being too high, I am conerned about injury, fatigue and burnout. Val
2009-01-22 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi Everyone!!

I know the group is closed but I was wondering if i could join you (now that about a month has passed and the initial surge of people is calming)? You seem like a great group with such a variety of training goals that it would fantastic support.

I am training for my first tri in June but i am a seasoned distance runner. Not fast but middle of the pack.   My (extremely) weak point is the swim. I started taking lessons last summer because i didn't actually know how to swim. Now a sprint doesn't like it would be impossible.

Anyway, if you'll have me, I'd love to join in but I do know that it's alot for you to manage, Magda

Have a great day all!

Jen

2009-01-23 6:58 PM
in reply to: #1922818

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
juniperjen - 2009-01-23 4:15 AM

Hi Everyone!!

I know the group is closed but I was wondering if i could join you (now that about a month has passed and the initial surge of people is calming)? You seem like a great group with such a variety of training goals that it would fantastic support.

I am training for my first tri in June but i am a seasoned distance runner. Not fast but middle of the pack.   My (extremely) weak point is the swim. I started taking lessons last summer because i didn't actually know how to swim. Now a sprint doesn't like it would be impossible.

Anyway, if you'll have me, I'd love to join in but I do know that it's alot for you to manage, Magda

Have a great day all!

Jen

Hi Jen! Sure you can join. We've had a few members drop off the radar so theres room for you How are you getting along with your swimming? Do you swim on your own, or with a team?

2009-01-23 7:00 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Good morning team!

Happy Saturday! Whats on the plan for the weekend? I have just done ANOTHER hills cycle, thats 3 weekends in a row!!!

Its the Australia Day long weekend here, its our national day of patriotic celebration, kinda like the American 4th July. I am hoping to get lots of training done in between the celebrations 

2009-01-24 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi Everyone!

Magda, thanks for the welcome!  I'll probably get to the full profile to introduce myself better tomorrow.

Magda: that's awesome that it's Australia Day. I never knew that. :D Are there lots parties and celebrations. I am guessing fireworks??

But quickly: I live in Toronto, Canada and I have been running  for nearly 4 years - with 4 marathons under my belt - or really, under my feet. My boyfriend (who i met while training for one of my marathons) is a triathlete and a couple of years ago I watched him do Ironman Canada. I thought it was awesome and want to give shorter distance a try. I am learning to swim! I am taking lessons once a week with a group and then usually have at least one other practice swimm a week to see how i am doing.

This weekend: I went to a spin class this morning. I'll do some strength work later today - i love lazy weekends with some time to do whatever I like - and tomorrow is a long run. Around 20km. Before the tri season starts I am in for a 30k race in March.

But good news! Booking my flight for a girls' long weekend to NYC!! Any suggestions of what to do? I've only been once when I was 15.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2009-01-24 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Shinsplints - good luck with your 5k tomorrow!!
2009-01-24 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Morning All,
Just back from my week's long run and then a short stint on the bike to relax. How is everyone doing this week?

2009-01-25 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Okay, as promised here is my little profile (sorry, if i go on a little too much).  Have a great day everyone!  

NAME: juniperjen/jen 

STORY: I am 28 and live in Toronto working as an analyst for the provincial level of government. I’ve been running for nearly 4 years, and I do have a very clear start date. That was when I’d joined a 10k training group at the running store in my neighbourhood. I’d always been relatively fit. I took dance as a girl and I’d loved aerobics but it wasn’t enough to get me moving more than twice a week. And I was relatively shy. I never tried the treadmill out of fear of embarrassment (I am so past that now). Back to the training group which I did for two reasons: 1. to get out in my new neighbourhood – I’d been living alone as a new graduate of university and 2. was to actually see if I could do a 10k.  I’d never been a runner or played any kind of sport.  Well, I was completely hooked. Since then I’ve done numerous races from the 10k to marathon.  I caught a bit of a tri bug when I started going out with DBF. We met at a marathon training group which he was using to make sure he could last through the run portion of an Ironman. I went with him to Ironman Canada and I thought it was awesome (not crazy).  So, I am learning to swim and got a bike a year ago which I am still a little nervous on but I am sure I will get over that.

FAMILY STATUS:  co-habitating with my DBF, a triathlete, and our “blended family” of chocolate lab, Samantha, and adopted kitty, Boots. We both work full-time

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for a 30k race with a FIRST-style program and doing some base building in biking and swimming. When the 30k race is done, I’ll maintain some distance on the long run because I am signed up for a half marathon in May (can’t believe I did that) and move to add more bike and swimming. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES:   Already registered for a few running races: 30k at Around the Bay and The Women’s Only Half Marathon inaugural year in Toronto. As for Tri’s I’ll be registering for the kick off event of the year which is a du and then aim for my first tri with the swim in June. Not sure after that.  I would like to do a fall marathon.  My DBF and I will apply for the lottery to do the NY Marathon again this year (didn’t get in last year). And I’ll be spectating at Ironman 70.3 Muskoka again.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not a major consideration for me. Leading an active lifestyle has helped me move to better eating (still love the junk though) and keep in a healthy weight range.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love being a part of a group and sharing experiences and listening (in this case reading). I am very supportive and above all I am very dedicated! :D

Edited by juniperjen 2009-01-25 10:49 AM

2009-01-25 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1926806

The 5K was fun- but I burned myself out the 1st mi-way too fast for my level of training. I think I was in a fast pace group. anyway- I sure felt maxed out- (beathing and heart rate). I thought I had fixed had problem with slow training runs. The 1st mi was about 1min faster than what I had intended. I cannot sustain that pace for more than 1mi. Still, I wish I could run like that all of the time!!! I don't know if I have it in me.

Starting too fast is general problem I have with racing- not so much with training.

So- the problem might be that my RPE is fairly low at the beginning of a race (plus excitement of racing) and I cannot judge my pace. (This was a race in a cave so GPS would not have worked). I knew I was pushing myself but not like that.

Perhaps it is time to increase the duration of intervals. 1/4 mi seems too short for me to really feel my pace. I may switch to 1/2 or 1 mi repeats at my target race pace (slower than what I did today of course) and see how it goes. Long runs will still be at easy pace.

Oh, and welcome to out new group member. I would love to hear your input as well since you are a runner.
Val
2009-01-26 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Shinsplints: your race was in a cave? That sounds so cool! Way to go!!

All i can say with pacing is that it takes a bit of practice. I tend to be on the conservative side when I start because i am worried about making the distance.  There are extra endorphins which make it hard to really guage your effort and I always know people start way too fast so it's okay to let other people get by - chances are you'll see many of them again after the race has settled a bit.

Oh and one coach I had warned people just roll with a crowded start and not swoop and loop and "climb the walls" to get around, the crowd will thin and it will help to better warm up.  

Edited by juniperjen 2009-01-26 8:38 AM
2009-01-27 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Good Evening All,
I had to post something because I could not have our thread on the bottom of page 2! How is everyone's week going?

2009-01-27 10:16 PM
in reply to: #1932744

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal

jrcody - 2009-01-27 9:39 PM Good Evening All, I had to post something because I could not have our thread on the bottom of page 2! How is everyone's week going?

It's taken me a while to realize that I need to take a break from all the training I am doing. Over the last month, I have not had one day of rest! It finally climaxed tonight when I realized I could barely lift things anymore.

So: tomorrow is my day off and I plan to sleep in, go to school, rest, eat, and do very little. 

How often does everyone give themselves days off? How do you schedule yourself?

2009-01-27 10:55 PM
in reply to: #1932899

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
krystyna47 - 2009-01-28 1:16 PM

jrcody - 2009-01-27 9:39 PM Good Evening All, I had to post something because I could not have our thread on the bottom of page 2! How is everyone's week going?

It's taken me a while to realize that I need to take a break from all the training I am doing. Over the last month, I have not had one day of rest! It finally climaxed tonight when I realized I could barely lift things anymore.

So: tomorrow is my day off and I plan to sleep in, go to school, rest, eat, and do very little. 

How often does everyone give themselves days off? How do you schedule yourself?

Hi Krystyna! I usually have about 1 day off a week, very occasionally 2 if I've really overdone it. I just go by feel. I can usually tell when I need one because I can't get out of bed at 5am! Sometimes I'll also get really moody or excessively hungry. Rest days are definitely recommended, especially after a hard work out, your body needs to recover!

2009-01-28 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I have also built in one full rest day a week. I picked Friday. Most tri plans have Monday as a rest day but I usually don't have much appetite for training by the time Friday comes. 

I also have a couple of days that are much easier than others. I pretty well always run some crazy long distance on Sundays so Monday is my swim class and that's it.

I love training but i really need the rest - i like to have some lazy time

In my previous marathon training seasons I pretty well always took two rest days a week. And often it was 3 rest days because i'd double yoga and a run in one day.

How about others?

2009-01-28 5:07 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

BUMP! Good morning team! Whats on the plan for today? I've just been to swim squad. It was a real struggle to get out of bed because I had an unplanned late night last night, but as always I am happy I went. Off to work now - its looking busy again today!

2009-01-29 12:37 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Jen - with regards to your question about NYC. I was there July 08 and I LOVED it. We only had three days. We stayed in mid-town Manhattan and tried to see as much as possible on those days! What date are you going?

We did all the touristy things - Statue of Liberty, Empire State building, Rockefeller Centre, Times Square, Broadway, Wall St, Ground Zero, Central Park, Natural History Museum, Flatiron Building. We also just wandered around a lot getting a feel for the place and experiencing the culture - we visited the Magnolia Bakery, had lunch at Pastis in the meat-packing district and dinner in the Italian quarter. It was awesome and we couldn't get enough. I'm sure you won't run out of things to do!!! Have fun!

Edited by eurydice79 2009-01-29 12:40 AM
2009-01-29 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Thanks for the NYC suggestions! I am going with my sister and a friend over the March Break here - so, for four nights starting Mar. 14. I picked a little inn in Chelsea that was a good price for Manhattan. 

Magda- so you swim with a group? How does that work? Is there a coach there? 

anyway, the plan for today - get a lot of work done and then head to they gym for an 8k tempo run followed by a half hour of splashing in the pool.

Have a lovely day all - can't wait for the weekend! :D

2009-01-30 6:24 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Happy Friday everyone!!

So, I was wondering after swimming last night about people's strong sport.  do you have a leg of the triathlon you're much stronger at?

2009-01-30 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1936968

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
juniperjen - 2009-01-30 7:24 AM

Happy Friday everyone!!

So, I was wondering after swimming last night about people's strong sport.  do you have a leg of the triathlon you're much stronger at?

Hey Jen,

I'm much more comfortable swimming, and I do enjoy running a lot. I struggle picking up speed on the bike portion of the race simply because I only like biking outdoors (when everything is pretty) and so don't train much indoors for almost 5 months of the year. Damn these Canadian winters!! I also don't use the clipless pedals. I have yet to get truly serious about biking. I use my bike more as a substitute for a car (it has a milk crate attached to the back and everything) than for racing. 

What about you? And everyone else?

2009-01-31 1:51 AM
in reply to: #1935177

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
juniperjen - 2009-01-29 10:52 PM

Thanks for the NYC suggestions! I am going with my sister and a friend over the March Break here - so, for four nights starting Mar. 14. I picked a little inn in Chelsea that was a good price for Manhattan. 

Magda- so you swim with a group? How does that work? Is there a coach there? 

anyway, the plan for today - get a lot of work done and then head to they gym for an 8k tempo run followed by a half hour of splashing in the pool.

Have a lovely day all - can't wait for the weekend! :D

Yes, I swim in a squad because otherwise swimming is dead boring for me!!! I belong to a local Perth triathlon training group called Wellbeings - www.wellbeings.com.au. I have found that swimming with a coach has also really helped with my technique. I started out two years ago swimming last in the bottom lane, I kept at it and eventually ended up leading the bottom lane, and just recently I was promoted and now I swim last-ish in the middle lane!!! LOL

2009-01-31 1:53 AM
in reply to: #1936968

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
juniperjen - 2009-01-30 9:24 PM

Happy Friday everyone!!

I don't know what I am strongest at - I'm pretty slow in all three disciplines but I can tell you what I most enjoy, and thats the cycling. I love to ride my pretty bike and I keep pimping it out with extra things like clip-on aero bars 

2009-01-31 1:58 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Good afternoon team! How is everyone going? Whats on the plan? I did a 75k (46 mile) ride this morning and it was great. I'm planning a long run tomorrow and then maybe an OWS, I haven't heard of any shark sightings recently so I am going to try out my new wetsuit.

Tonight I am going to a Goth party. I am not a Goth (although in my teenage years I was a touch Goth-ish LOL) and neither are any of my friends but we thought we would get dressed up anyway!!! We're not going out in public as far as I am aware. Anyway I am going to go sort of Emo-goth because I can't face wearing all black!!! I have some hot pink fishnets, some pink fake eyelashes and coloured beads to brighten up the black. I also bought some studded black dog collars from work they'll be hilarious - although I got a little scared when one of the nurses said the dog collar suited me and I should wear it in public - hmmm!!!!  I'll post some photos later if any are taken

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 15