BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MOMO - (CLOSED) IN TRAINING MODE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-05-18 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2073413

Regular
Subject: RE: MOMO - (CLOSED) IN TRAINING MODE
Posted my results from Sunday. Good race in Cincy, worth the three hour drive for me. I swam really well, bike was rough, but run was pretty good. Still learning this sport, as I made some rookie mistakes like not having my tool bag with me on the bike. Seat post dropped down a couple inches, and basically had to sit on the frame for 16 miles. My legs were fried by the time I got to the run.

2009-05-18 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2159539

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
aswimr - 2009-05-18 8:01 PM Posted my results from Sunday. Good race in Cincy, worth the three hour drive for me. I swam really well, bike was rough, but run was pretty good. Still learning this sport, as I made some rookie mistakes like not having my tool bag with me on the bike. Seat post dropped down a couple inches, and basically had to sit on the frame for 16 miles. My legs were fried by the time I got to the run.

Congrats and awesome job gritting out the bike ride!
2009-05-18 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2159556

Regular
tnguyen1 - 2009-05-18 9:09 PM
aswimr - 2009-05-18 8:01 PM Posted my results from Sunday. Good race in Cincy, worth the three hour drive for me. I swam really well, bike was rough, but run was pretty good. Still learning this sport, as I made some rookie mistakes like not having my tool bag with me on the bike. Seat post dropped down a couple inches, and basically had to sit on the frame for 16 miles. My legs were fried by the time I got to the run.

Thanks. I was pretty mad at myself for a good portion of the bike. I started to focus on making the best of it, and decided to just have some fun.
2009-05-18 10:55 PM
in reply to: #2159563

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
aswimr - 2009-05-18 9:13 PM

tnguyen1 - 2009-05-18 9:09 PM

Thanks. I was pretty mad at myself for a good portion of the bike. I started to focus on making the best of it, and decided to just have some fun.

no need to be upset.. first race.. learning experience.

you finished it that's all that matters.
2009-05-19 4:51 PM

O.K....just confirmed my first swim lessons starting a week from today...I'm pretty excited about it.  Swimming is by far be my weakest sport.  Thought maybe swimming lessons would be a smart thing to do.  I can swim, just not efficiently.  Just talked to my instructor/coach, he will be helping me during our lessons and then giving me drills to work on between lessons...I'll keep you all posted on the outcome...
2009-05-19 6:24 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
All right gang I really need some advice/suggestions.  Running is, by far, my weakest area and I am having a terrible time with my shins.  My feet (thankfully) are holding up better than I expected but my shins are killing me.  I do a lot better jogging up hill and landing more on the balls of my feet, but after leveling out or running down hill my shins are on fire.  They are super tight and it hurts to flex my foot downward (upward isn't a picnic either - but it hurts a lot less).  Today I even started jogging backward for a little relief.  I've got six weeks to get this fixed and while I wish I had started pushing the run sooner I'm glad that I didn't since I probably would have nixed this idea in the first month.  The last time I did any real running (2003) I didn't have these shin problems.  I've tried rest, ice, heat, two different kinds of shoes (NB and now Brooks), running outside, and running inside.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. 

2009-05-19 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2161907

User image

ivy, va
Hey Kerux,  sent you a pm yesterday w suggestions from my friend.
2009-05-19 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2161765

User image

ivy, va
brm75 - 2009-05-19 5:51 PM O.K....just confirmed my first swim lessons starting a week from today...I'm pretty excited about it.  Swimming is by far be my weakest sport.  Thought maybe swimming lessons would be a smart thing to do.  I can swim, just not efficiently.  Just talked to my instructor/coach, he will be helping me during our lessons and then giving me drills to work on between lessons...I'll keep you all posted on the outcome...

Please do let us know how it goes.  I've been thinking of trying to find a patient soul to coach me.  sigh.
2009-05-19 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2159539

User image

ivy, va
aswimr - 2009-05-18 9:01 PM Posted my results from Sunday. Good race in Cincy, worth the three hour drive for me. I swam really well, bike was rough, but run was pretty good. Still learning this sport, as I made some rookie mistakes like not having my tool bag with me on the bike. Seat post dropped down a couple inches, and basically had to sit on the frame for 16 miles. My legs were fried by the time I got to the run.

Way to go aswimr!!  Adapt, improvise, overcome... awesome!!  You are a triathlete!  Congrats!!!
2009-05-19 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2161924

Yeah, I hope this guy has a ton of patience too or it's going to be quite interesting for both of us...LOL
  I've talked with him on the phone and he seems very upbeat and extremely willing to help anyway he can.  He's already offered additional assistance after the lessons if I would like...guess he's realizing how much help I'm really going to need...Laughing
2009-05-20 6:30 AM
in reply to: #2161765

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
brm75 - 2009-05-19 5:51 PM

O.K....just confirmed my first swim lessons starting a week from today...I'm pretty excited about it.  Swimming is by far be my weakest sport.  Thought maybe swimming lessons would be a smart thing to do.  I can swim, just not efficiently.  Just talked to my instructor/coach, he will be helping me during our lessons and then giving me drills to work on between lessons...I'll keep you all posted on the outcome...

Great!! Swimming lesson will benefit you greatly. You have someone on the deck to watch you and correct little mistakes..

2009-05-20 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
kerux - 2009-05-19 7:24 PM

All right gang I really need some advice/suggestions.  Running is, by far, my weakest area and I am having a terrible time with my shins.  My feet (thankfully) are holding up better than I expected but my shins are killing me.  I do a lot better jogging up hill and landing more on the balls of my feet, but after leveling out or running down hill my shins are on fire.  They are super tight and it hurts to flex my foot downward (upward isn't a picnic either - but it hurts a lot less).  Today I even started jogging backward for a little relief.  I've got six weeks to get this fixed and while I wish I had started pushing the run sooner I'm glad that I didn't since I probably would have nixed this idea in the first month.  The last time I did any real running (2003) I didn't have these shin problems.  I've tried rest, ice, heat, two different kinds of shoes (NB and now Brooks), running outside, and running inside.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Well, It seems that you are lacking some flexibility in the ankle. You Tibialis anterior and Extensor digitorum longus are tight... hence when you run up hills the muscles are long and stretched out. but when on level ground, those muscle are compressed and in flexsion.

ways to remedy.. calves raises(with and without weights), walk on your heels(this strengthens the Tibialis.. massage them after running(really rub them, use the thumbs). ice afterwards.. also use a resistance band (if you have one). tie a loop on one end.. attach to foot, hold the other end and push your toes away from you.. do 2 set of 15. Then switch, put the end you are hold end a door jam or get someone to hole it for you.. pull your toes towards you do 2 sets of 15..

hope this helps a little bit

mo
2009-05-20 10:06 AM

User image

ivy, va
kerux - 2009-05-19 7:24 PM All right gang I really need some advice/suggestions.  Running is, by far, my weakest area and I am having a terrible time with my shins.  My feet (thankfully) are holding up better than I expected but my shins are killing me.  I do a lot better jogging up hill and landing more on the balls of my feet, but after leveling out or running down hill my shins are on fire.  They are super tight and it hurts to flex my foot downward (upward isn't a picnic either - but it hurts a lot less).  Today I even started jogging backward for a little relief.  I've got six weeks to get this fixed and while I wish I had started pushing the run sooner I'm glad that I didn't since I probably would have nixed this idea in the first month.  The last time I did any real running (2003) I didn't have these shin problems.  I've tried rest, ice, heat, two different kinds of shoes (NB and now Brooks), running outside, and running inside.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Without seeing your gait/running style it's hard to say, but in general:   be sure to lean into the hill going up, short choppy steps.  Going down hill there's a tendency to lengthen stride and lean back.  Bad, bad, bad - will tear up your shins and knees.  It also puts the breaks on your speed.  You want to lean into the downhill as well.  Let gravity help you.  Your foot strike should be close to under your hips.  Take the opportunity to shake out/relax your shoulders on the downhill - shoulder blades back & down.  Open your chest.

Try to find a great running store where they'll look at - sometimes video tape - your gait.  Talk to them about your pain.  They should offer a wealth of helpful information.

For now I would suggest sticking w soft running surfaces - maybe just a treadmill until your pain subsides.  Gradually work up to inclines.

You definitely have time to get this worked out.  Sorry you're having to deal w the pain.  Sucks.  Stick with it though.  It'll be worth it. 

2009-05-20 5:27 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
Thanks Mo and Wilma.  I think I will have to try a different store than the one I was going to in regard to shoes.  I described to them what was happening at my current shop and they sold me a new pair of shoes but didn't provide any suggestions other than, "You'll get over it....just make sure you replace your shoes every 300 miles." 
2009-05-20 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2164440

User image

ivy, va
kerux - 2009-05-20 6:27 PM Thanks Mo and Wilma.  I think I will have to try a different store than the one I was going to in regard to shoes.  I described to them what was happening at my current shop and they sold me a new pair of shoes but didn't provide any suggestions other than, "You'll get over it....just make sure you replace your shoes every 300 miles." 

Yowzaa ~ that's some crappy advice.  Hmmm.  Until you find the great running store, you may want to try this site:  www.roadrunnersports.com    At the top left is "shoe dog".  Click on that, input your gender, arch, injuries, etc.  It will then "fetch" shoes that are appropriate for you.  It's a start anyway. 

Right now there's free shipping and you can try out the shoes for 60 days.  Send 'em back for an exchange if they don't work.  Caveat:  I've never purchased from them, but I've heard they're great.  At a minimum it may give you some ideas of sneaks to try.

Good luck!

p.s.  ask around, someone will (hopefully) clue you in to a great running shop

2009-05-20 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2164440

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
kerux - 2009-05-20 6:27 PM

Thanks Mo and Wilma.  I think I will have to try a different store than the one I was going to in regard to shoes.  I described to them what was happening at my current shop and they sold me a new pair of shoes but didn't provide any suggestions other than, "You'll get over it....just make sure you replace your shoes every 300 miles." 

I hate when people make stupid comments like that.. They don't realize that they lose customers that way... it only takes one bad comment to sway others away.. word of mouth is the best advertisement.

i hope you find a better store.. With that kind of attitude.. they probably sold you the wrong type of shoes..

2009-05-20 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2164551

User image

Greenville, SC
The shop is a great bike shop and the staff on the bike side of things is awesome.  I am going to hit a running store tomorrow after work to see what can be done.  I hope I don't have to eat another pair of shoes this quickly but at this point I'll try anything. 
2009-05-21 5:48 AM
in reply to: #2164906

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
kerux - 2009-05-20 11:00 PM

The shop is a great bike shop and the staff on the bike side of things is awesome.  I am going to hit a running store tomorrow after work to see what can be done.  I hope I don't have to eat another pair of shoes this quickly but at this point I'll try anything. 

i've eaten a couple pair.. i have a pair of mizuno waver runner 12.. 30 miles on them.. nice light shoe, not for me.. and a pair of asics (don't remember name..) 250 bucks down the drain..

know anyone that needs a neutral shoe that wears mizuno? deal of a century!!
2009-05-22 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2165079

User image

ivy, va
Hey Team Mo,

Hope everyone enjoys a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!  Here comes the summer!

If anyone has a race this weekend, best of luck & let us know how it goes!!
2009-05-22 11:48 AM

Regular
I am going to be out on vacation all next week, fishing in northern Wisconsin. Rest assured I am taking my wetsuit for some open water training, and my running shoes for some trail runs. Will post all the fun in my logs when I get back.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday.
2009-05-22 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Have a safe and wonderful Memorial weekend everyone. Hope to get some long training in and I'll be getting fitted for my tri bike tonight. Yay!

2009-05-22 3:59 PM

Question??...  Last weekend I ran in a 5k.  About 3/4 mile into it, I got what I thought was a severe calf cramp.  I pushed through and finished the race.  By Sat. afternoon it took everything I had even to walk.  By Sunday things improved a bit and each day throughout the week it seemed to be feeling better.  Still feels good, but now I have a large purple/yellow bruise on the back of my calf.  Is this normal for a cramp to cause a bruise?  Or was this possibly something other than just a cramp.  Never had this before.  It occured very sudden.  In the past, I have felt cramps coming on and generally stop, stretch and work it out.  I had no warning on this one.  Any input or info would be great...Thanks!

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable weekend!
2009-05-22 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2168828

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
brm75 - 2009-05-22 4:59 PM

Question??...  Last weekend I ran in a 5k.  About 3/4 mile into it, I got what I thought was a severe calf cramp.  I pushed through and finished the race.  By Sat. afternoon it took everything I had even to walk.  By Sunday things improved a bit and each day throughout the week it seemed to be feeling better.  Still feels good, but now I have a large purple/yellow bruise on the back of my calf.  Is this normal for a cramp to cause a bruise?  Or was this possibly something other than just a cramp.  Never had this before.  It occured very sudden.  In the past, I have felt cramps coming on and generally stop, stretch and work it out.  I had no warning on this one.  Any input or info would be great...Thanks!

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable weekend!

that's a bruise.. no you may have torn something.. that happens with when you tear the muscle.. not good... you may need to get that checked out very soon.. don't do anything until you go to the doctor.. im being serious about this.. normally torn muscles need surgical repair.. not trying to scare you.. thinking worse case..

GET IT CHECKED OUT!!!!
2009-05-25 6:24 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
Hope everyone had a great memorial day weekend.  I had to work Fri-Sun....but got monday off.  Ronald McDonald Ride in the morning and BBQ with the family in the evening.  Ronald was jealous of my twinkie the kid jersey. 
2009-05-25 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2172158

User image

ivy, va
kerux - 2009-05-25 7:24 PM Hope everyone had a great memorial day weekend.  I had to work Fri-Sun....but got monday off.  Ronald McDonald Ride in the morning and BBQ with the family in the evening.  Ronald was jealous of my twinkie the kid jersey. 

Ronald's jealousy is certainly understandable.  Wink 

Tell us about the RM Ride.  (And how was the bbq?)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MOMO - (CLOSED) IN TRAINING MODE Rss Feed  

of 16