in reply to: #2572797

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
Experior - 2009-12-22 7:06 AM
scout21 - 2009-12-22 9:44 AM
slow turtle - 2009-12-22 6:42 AM
TriGuyBri - 2009-12-21 11:57 PM I had a heck of a time finding Running Shoes.  I ended up ordering a pair of Asics 2150's and spent a little more than I expected; with the 10% discount for Local Tri Club Members it will bring it down a little.  The local Running Shop didn't carry 4eee width in the 2140's.  Tried on a pair of the 1140's in 4eeee width just to get a sense of how they 2150's might feel and they seem to be OK, enough room.  Didn't want to go with the 1140's.  I hope they work out OK.

Good luck with the new shoes. Finding the right pair can be a real PITA. They are worth spending the money on.

Big +1 on that.  The saucony's that I have now are okay, but I'll definitely be going back to my Aasics for my next pair.

Scout

+2.  And why do the shoe companies keep changing them up?  When I first started, I was forced (because of 'discontinued models') to change models 3 times, even though I was happy with the ones I first had.

Christmas is coming soon!  What's on tap for today?

Slow day for me today.  I was up all night with two sick children.  Fortunately, the eldest got up quietly and didn't disturb the other two, so I and they were able to sleep a little this morning.  Bike trainer later tonight.

Sorry to hear about your sick children Michael.  Hopefully they will get better by Christmas Day.

Sorry to hear about your sick children Michael.  Hopefully all will be back to normal by Christmas Day.  Take Care.

2009-12-22 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Veteran
DC
Still sick here...5 days and counting and I just can't shake this bug.  Going to the doctor today...hopefully later this week I can start doing some workouts (haven't done anything since last Thurs)

Michael- I'm supposed to be doing a 27-week plan by Gale Bernhardt starting in early January, but I'm getting a bit concerned that I won't have nearly the base required to start the 'base' of this plan.  Do you know of any other HIM plans that are a bit more aggressive than the BT 'beginner' plan?
2009-12-22 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2572797

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Experior - 2009-12-22 9:06 AM
scout21 - 2009-12-22 9:44 AM
slow turtle - 2009-12-22 6:42 AM
TriGuyBri - 2009-12-21 11:57 PM I had a heck of a time finding Running Shoes.  I ended up ordering a pair of Asics 2150's and spent a little more than I expected; with the 10% discount for Local Tri Club Members it will bring it down a little.  The local Running Shop didn't carry 4eee width in the 2140's.  Tried on a pair of the 1140's in 4eeee width just to get a sense of how they 2150's might feel and they seem to be OK, enough room.  Didn't want to go with the 1140's.  I hope they work out OK.

Good luck with the new shoes. Finding the right pair can be a real PITA. They are worth spending the money on.

Big +1 on that.  The saucony's that I have now are okay, but I'll definitely be going back to my Aasics for my next pair.

Scout

+2.  And why do the shoe companies keep changing them up?  When I first started, I was forced (because of 'discontinued models') to change models 3 times, even though I was happy with the ones I first had.

Christmas is coming soon!  What's on tap for today?

Slow day for me today.  I was up all night with two sick children.  Fortunately, the eldest got up quietly and didn't disturb the other two, so I and they were able to sleep a little this morning.  Bike trainer later tonight.

So it seems like a concensus on the Asics, I'm fairly happy w/my NB but it's about time for a new pair. Think I'll give the Asics a try.

I'm off til next Monday so I should have plenty of time to get some good training in between my childrens school events and the arrival of the inlaws from SoCal over the next couple of days.

Wishing a quick recovery to all of you under the weather!!
2009-12-22 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Sammeg - don't go with a piece of clothing or shoe just because other people like them.  You need to find what works for you and stick with it.  I think Aasics are a great shoe, but they're great for me.  NB might be a better shoe for you.  Only you can know that.

I'll be getting in a 3 mile run today at some point and maybe a trainer ride later tonight.  I'm planning to start the Jorge plan in early January. 

Scout
2009-12-22 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
You're absolutely right Scout, typically I wouldn't but since I'm not blown away by the NB, figured I give something else a try. I can always go back, still in a trial and error phase.
2009-12-22 11:04 AM

User image

Regular
I, too, had problems finding the right shoe.  I eventually picked a pair of Asics - actually, I bought 3 pair because I didn't want to have to search again once the model year changed... 

Good luck with your shoe hunt!
- Mark

2009-12-22 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2573191

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
OneFastMule - 2009-12-22 11:04 AM I, too, had problems finding the right shoe.  I eventually picked a pair of Asics - actually, I bought 3 pair because I didn't want to have to search again once the model year changed... 

Good luck with your shoe hunt!
- Mark

Doh! That's a great idea! The things you learn on BT.  Smile
2009-12-22 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Getting back on track again.  Roads are still a mess, but passable again.  Had a good swim at lunch.

Scout, you win gerbel of the month award.   I don't think I could endure 9x16 laps (heck, I can't even do the math in my head).  Ours is 1/12 of a mile and I've decided I prefer the treadmill to that.  Also b/c it bothers my knee/foot doing all those narrow turns in one direction and dodging all the chatters who take up both lanes.   Anyway, an impressive feet... errr... feat.  Hope we can get back out on the roads again soon. 

Speaking of feet... our local running store does a pretty good analysis of your running style (pronation, etc.) which, at least for me, dictated which shoes to buy as I need a ton of support.  When I first started running, I just bought cheap running shoes and had all kinds of hip pain... as soon as I bought the right shoes it made a huge difference. 

BIL in town... will be talking 2010 tri plans tonight... yay!  Be good y'all and hope your kids are feeling better real soon Michael.
-Stu

P.S.  There's a virtual Christmas 5/10K race planned at Team Skinny in the weightloss board.  Anyway, come join the race!  Here's the link (click page 6Virtual Christmas 5K/10K

Edited by juneapple 2009-12-22 2:33 PM
2009-12-22 4:37 PM

User image

Veteran
DC
Drats...I have the flu.  Doc says no training for 2+ weeks. 

Hope everyone has a delightful Holiday season.  I'll probably be checking in once in a while but won't be active here until I'm up and running at full speed.

2009-12-22 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
Questions about training programs:
In short, what type of plan should I be following for winter?

I don't have any race dates for 2010 yet, but it's reasonable to assume I wont do any races before July. My goals are to be faster in all 3 sports, but especially on the run. Last year, I only did sprints, and I considering doing an Oly distance this year. So, how do I figure out what I should be doing right now? I feel like last winter, I was mostly just in a holding pattern. My biking got stronger, but my run didnt really improve.
Thanks for any input.
2009-12-22 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2574314

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
I think the only way to get better running is to do two things.  Put in more miles, and start some speedwork.  I didn't really notice much difference until I started doing intervals.  I hate intervals.  I really really hate intervals.  But I like getting faster, so I do intervals.  I won't offer any advice on how to go about doing them, because I'm not that experienced a runner, and I have zero background in coaching.  How many miles/week are you averaging, and what's your normal long run distance?

Scout

2009-12-22 11:33 PM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Happy Holiday to all, I probably won't be near a computer for awhile but will check in shortly before or after the New Year and get busy with my training plan.  
Melinda 
2009-12-23 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2574102

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Stone Cutter - 2009-12-22 5:37 PM Drats...I have the flu.  Doc says no training for 2+ weeks. 

Hope everyone has a delightful Holiday season.  I'll probably be checking in once in a while but won't be active here until I'm up and running at full speed.

So sorry to hear this.

To answer your earlier question about plans:  I tend to design my own plans (based on reading lots of books -- I'm a geek that way...) but I can tell you that the Intermediate HIM plan here on BT is plenty aggressive.  It is a 16 week plan, but of course presumes enough fitness to begin the plan.  In a similar vein, there is an 8 week plan in the book Championship Triathlon Training (by Dallam and Jonas).  It presumes that you have already completed their 245 week Olympic plan, but you could try doing a ramp-up that just focuses on getting your volume up to the point where you can start the 8 week plan.  There is also this plan by Dave Scott.  It is quite aggressive -- you'd probably want to do some base building before you start it, and you'd probably want to ease up on some of the intensity (see my last comment below).

Another option is to roll your own, although this takes some time and thought and reading.  I originally did it by studying The Triathletes Training Bible, modified in light of others things I've read.  (Some people around here -- notoriously Jorge -- like to say how awful TTB is.  I think he goes overboard in his criticism.  He does things a different way, and that's fine of course, but I think that the book has its merits.)

My overall comment is that with a short time to prepare, you want to focus on volume and not intensity.  In other words, you want to focus on getting the distances under your belt.  Don't do a lot of intensity, more steady-state training.  Without the base that you'll build early in any plan, the intensity is more likely to lead to injury.

Get well soon!

Edited by Experior 2009-12-23 9:18 AM
2009-12-23 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2574314

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slow turtle - 2009-12-22 8:21 PM Questions about training programs:
In short, what type of plan should I be following for winter?

I don't have any race dates for 2010 yet, but it's reasonable to assume I wont do any races before July. My goals are to be faster in all 3 sports, but especially on the run. Last year, I only did sprints, and I considering doing an Oly distance this year. So, how do I figure out what I should be doing right now? I feel like last winter, I was mostly just in a holding pattern. My biking got stronger, but my run didnt really improve.
Thanks for any input.

I'll second Scout's statement, with an emphasis on volume.  For the first 6 months or so of running, most people will see loads of improvement simply in virtue of the fact that they are doing something rather than nothing.  As low as 4-5 miles per week will be enough for many previously inactive people to get faster for a while.  But after a while, they will plateau.  (I've read some interesting studies that show pretty much exactly this -- I'll try to remember to look them up.  Basically they take previously inactive people and have them run 3 times a week, 1-2 miles, and they get faster for several months and then plateau.)

So how do you get faster from there?  First thing is to increase volume.  At first this can be done by just gradually increasing the length of your runs.    And depending on your ambitions, it can stay that way, but once you start hitting 20 miles per week or so, it is probably a good idea to add another run.  That's just my opinion -- I'm not aware of any really strong argument for that claim, although it appears to be what most run coaches say. 

As you increase volume, you should begin to get faster.  IF you can add in a little speedwork while continuing to increase volume (volume should be the goal that you are not willing to compromise here) and not getting injured, then go for it.  A good place to begin, in my opinion, is strides and fartlek. 

Strides are just 30 seconds or so of running at a not-quite-sprint.  (Typically people will say something like 'a little faster than 5K pace'.)  You should focus on quick turnover.  You are teaching your body to run fast with almost zero added chance of injury because of the very short duration.  Just throw a few of these into your normal run from time to time (not every time you run -- maybe once per week at the beginning). 

Fartlek (= 'speed play' in Swedish) is longer bouts of speed.  Because people cannot resist formalizing everything, several people these days will say that 'fartlek' has a particular formal meaning.  (They won't agree on the meaning though!)  But I prefer to think of it in the original sense -- running fast when the urge strikes, much as one might in play.  (Think kids running around the yard.)  If you're feeling the urge in the middle of a run, throw in a bout of speed.  Not all-out or anything, just a 'pick-up'.  When it starts to be uncomfortable (different people will have different senses of discomfort, of course) then slow back down.  You don't want to treat these as intervals.  It should remain 'playful', and you should be able to return to your previous pace afterward, not need to slow way down to recover.  I tend to go for anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes when I do these, and I think that these times are pretty typical.  (I did some fartlek the other day, so you can see an example in my logs if you are curious.  Of course, there are other ways to do them.  Notice that, as I said above, the difference between these and intervals is basically that you are 'throwing them in' to a normal run, not running a hard interval then backing way off.  So my non-fartlek paces were not super-slow.  Also, the paces during the bouts of speed were not consistent -- I did the pace that I felt like at the time.  It is speed play, not speed work!)

I'm no coach, of course.  The above is just my impression from reading lots of stuff.  So I don't have a concrete plan for you.  But one idea would be to sign up for a spring 5K or 10K and take that as motivation to follow a plan and get faster.  There are loads of free plans out there.  Google is your friend, here.  I Goggled "running plan 5k" and came up with this and this, which have good ideas and links to good ideas.

Edited by Experior 2009-12-23 10:05 AM
2009-12-23 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Michael-Thanks for the info and suggestions. I guess The first step is to actually get my butt out there again.
   I hope your kids are feeling better.

Mike- Feel better soon.
2009-12-23 6:57 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Christmas Greetings Everyone...I hope Children and Parents are feeling better today given what is coming up on Friday.  Ho! Ho! Ho!  Went out this morning and ran 5 miles...felt pretty good.  It was a bit slippery with the fog and freezing temps.  Was able to find some dry pavement on the edges of the sidewalks.  Most likely I will go out again tomorrow morning and run at least 4 miles and take Friday off..then the 1.5 hr. Sat Indoor Cycling Class will burn off most of the Christmas Cheer.

Hopefully you all have been nice and not naughty so Santa will bring you some outrageous Tri Gear for Christmas.Tongue out

Wishing You All Happy Hoildays and Be Safe!!!

TRIGUYBRI

2009-12-23 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
I finally made it to the gym today! Logged my first run in over a week. It was painfully slow, but I'm psyched I got it done. 3.1!
2009-12-24 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
I'll be away from the computer for today and probably tomorrow so....

Merry Christmas everyone!  Have a safe and happy Christmas!

Scout
2009-12-24 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
My last check-in before Christmas takes over our lives for 36 hours.  I hope everyone is doing well, and....Merry Christmas!
2009-12-24 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Merry Christmas Everyone in the Experior Group! Off to run. It's an UGLY DAY. Cold and raining, but I can't endure another dreadmill run!
2009-12-24 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
I remember some of us wanted to lose a few more lbs. of weight and be closer to race weight or competition weight.  I found this book (Race Weight:  How to Get Lean for Peak Performance by Matt Fitzgerald) yesterday (pretty new) and it looks real good; read couple of pages that were posted.  I might invest in it.  Here is the link.

http://www.velopress.com/nutrition.php?id=289

2009-12-24 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
hey everyone sorry that i have been missing that last few days just spending some fun times with family and friends.i tried to squeeze some training in as well. have a great holiday everyone.
2009-12-24 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
I'm a human hampster! When to run out side to avoid the treadmill. STARTED TO POUR! Arrrgghh! Went to the YMCA, staired down the treamill and decided to hit the indoor track. 3.5 miles............63 laps. ZZZzzzz.........ZZZzzzz............
2009-12-24 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2577044

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Geez guys, this hamster routine has got to stop.  Y'all are making me dizzy.

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and that you find some great tri toys or a health club membership under the tree this year!

-Stu
2009-12-24 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Looks like I've caught a cold. I've never been one to believe that being cold makes you sick, but after a stupid, frigid ride on Monday I might revise that attitude. Still, I got in a run last nite and a ride this morning knowing that I wouldn't train on Xmas, and that I might start feeling worse. The latter is coming true and I'm here at work begging for an end to my day. Naturally it's one of the biggest retail days of the year.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. I've decided that all I want for Xmas is a good night's sleep.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46