BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-04-14 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2770190

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED!
Today I did my first run over 10 miles ever. It wasn't too bad, except towards the last twenty minutes is when I started to feel the worst. This really is my first run where I have felt dehydrated and completely exhaust after running. It didn't help that this was probably one of the first nicer days that I ran in 70 degree weather or greater and actually with the sun beating down on me. So my question to everyone is what type of hydration/nutrition do you use for your longer runs? Do you use a hand held water bottle, Nathan hydration belt, Feulbelt, or do you prefer short loops with a water bottle you pick up as you go along? What about nutrition, do you take a gel during longer runs or some shot blocks or anything else?

2010-04-14 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2792097

User image

Expert
scotty930 - 2010-04-14 2:46 PM Today I did my first run over 10 miles ever. It wasn't too bad, except towards the last twenty minutes is when I started to feel the worst. This really is my first run where I have felt dehydrated and completely exhaust after running. It didn't help that this was probably one of the first nicer days that I ran in 70 degree weather or greater and actually with the sun beating down on me. So my question to everyone is what type of hydration/nutrition do you use for your longer runs? Do you use a hand held water bottle, Nathan hydration belt, Feulbelt, or do you prefer short loops with a water bottle you pick up as you go along? What about nutrition, do you take a gel during longer runs or some shot blocks or anything else?

I have the benefit of running along a public path that has water fountains along the way.  In the winter, there's only one fountain they keep on, so I'll carry my gels with me, then do a 4-mile loop around that fountain and hydrate/fuel every 4 miles whenever I pass the fountain.  If I had to be completely self-supported, I do have a Nathan hydration belt that will carry 1 water bottle.  I think if I had to use that as my sole source of nutrition, I'd probably fill it with gatorade/infinit/heed/whatever that way I don't have to worry about carrying gels + water with me. 

I never really took any in-run nutrition until my runs got longer than 12 miles.  For my shorter runs that I'm not taking in nutrition, I usually just make sure to eat something about 2 hrs before my run, and only drink water during the run.  And then eat again within an hour or two after my run.  For 12+ mile runs, I'll take an Accel Gel every 4-6 miles.  If I'm thirsty between taking gels, I just drink water or Gatorade (or whatever's on the course, during a race).  I picked Accel Gel because I likes the flavors better than the other brands I tried, and they were easier imo to take than shot blocks (which I found were hard to use because you had to chew them and they got stuck on my teeth). 
2010-04-14 5:10 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
scotty930 - 2010-04-14 2:46 PM Today I did my first run over 10 miles ever. It wasn't too bad, except towards the last twenty minutes is when I started to feel the worst. This really is my first run where I have felt dehydrated and completely exhaust after running. It didn't help that this was probably one of the first nicer days that I ran in 70 degree weather or greater and actually with the sun beating down on me. So my question to everyone is what type of hydration/nutrition do you use for your longer runs? Do you use a hand held water bottle, Nathan hydration belt, Feulbelt, or do you prefer short loops with a water bottle you pick up as you go along? What about nutrition, do you take a gel during longer runs or some shot blocks or anything else?

I do repeated loops that take me around past my house.  I leave a gel and water bottle in the papertube of the mailbox.  Sometimes I put a gel in my shorts pocket but I rarely carry the water with me in the neighborhood. 
I do have a fuelbelt for water bottles that I have used for half mary's.

I have frequently tried to get my neighbors to spray me with a hose on hot days   So far they haven't done it....they keep saying they will though.
2010-04-14 5:11 PM
in reply to: #2791838

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
retiretotri - 2010-04-14 1:33 PM

Hi Jack!

Yahooooooooooooo!!!  Another Fabulous over 50 triathlete.  Welcome.

I'm with you there!!....just turned 50 last month....
Jack, are you in Richmond?

Edited by QueenZipp 2010-04-14 5:12 PM
2010-04-14 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2791005

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
retiretotri - 2010-04-14 10:22 AM I have taken too many rest days since last summer.

I tend to move mine around now that Ironman training is not on the schedule.  I also take one if my body asks for it!  Better to rest and stay injury-free. 

Regarding bike saddles.  I have the Terry Butterfly Tri saddle but the padding on the sides is a bit excessive.  I tried a Fizik, a little too hard.  Anyone tried out a Cobb saddle?  The Adamo is intriguing but the width in nose concerns me a bit.  I could get another Terry but I thought something new might just be beneficial.  Trouble with some saddle sores last year.

Which brings up another question.  How often should you get a new saddle?

Thanks for the input!

That's a good question that I've never really thought about before now.  I quick search of the interwebs gave suggestions of in the very broad range of 3000 to 10000 miles.

3000 seems low to me.  That's well under a year's worth of riding for me.  I can't imagine replacing it every year.  I guess it probably really depends on what the saddle is made of and how susceptible that material is to breaking down. 
2010-04-14 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2791287

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-14 11:30 AM Dropped in to say hi to the group and give props to Neal for being a great Mentor!

Hi Chris.  Thanks for the shout out!

2010-04-14 8:37 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA

Congrats on the milestone run.

Once I hit 12 miles (or if it's just really warm) I usually plan on hydration.  Preferably I'll run a 4 mile loop around a park that has a couple of drinking fountains.  Unfortunately in the fall and spring they don't like to turn their water on so I rely on a fuelbelt with 4 - 8oz bottles.  For nutrition on the run I strictly rely on gels since I don't like to chew while running.  I usually take one every 5-6 miles.

Good topic to bring up.  I'll be doing my first 12 miler of the year in the next day or two.  I suppose I should go find my fuel belt
2010-04-14 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2791397

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Jacklcm - 2010-04-14 11:54 AM

Hi Neal,

Name: Jack

I'd like to re- join your mentor group if there is still room and its not too late.

STORY: My name's Jack (jacklcm).  Been on the site for about 8 months. Im 51 and I started training for a triathlon five years ago beginning with a 10k. Unfortunately after improving my fitness I started back playing soccer and blew out my knee. That set me back a few  years before I decided to get it fixed (new ACL) and begin the recovery that was suppose to take 6 months. Unfortunately, complications during recovery took over a year and I still couldn't run due feet problems. Triathlons really were not even in my mind I just want to be able to run without pain. After doing exercise classes at the YMCA I found spin classes and I did them three times a week for a year or so before getting back to running. I did a 10k in the spring 09 and got re-started training for my first tri in April last year using the free training plan here at BT. I was ready finally for my first sprint in May after five years and I was so excited. The night before I was finalizing preps and I pumped my tires up a tire blewout.  I found a bike shop open late and got a new set. My first race as so much fun I was hooked. After training all summer I completed an International in Oct (but I was weak on the run - missed some training due to a sprained ankle). After the Olympic I spent Oct working on my run and completed a half marathon
FAMILY STATUS: 
Married 24 years, 2 kids 21 and 18. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
I'm on week 19 of a 24 week program to prepare for the early half IM  May 8.  I’m joined a tri training group that started in  Feb. and I’m taking running classes to improve in running.  I'm evaluating a full IM by the end of  2011.

2010 RACES:
National Duathlon Festival (Duathlon) 4/25/2010  (Richmond Va.)

½ IM May Kenetic Louisa Va.

½ IM  Patriot – Williamsburg Va.

I plan to do another Olympic and a sprint during the summer.

2009 RACES:
Runing  10k March  and my Richmond half marathon fall.

Sprint in May and Olympic Oct.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:
I started last year at about 225 and was at 190 begining of the year.  I was looking to drop to 180, and I've been there but today I'm 182.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD STUDENT:

I’m very new and I’m continually looking to get better.  I don’t come from a background in any one of these sports so there is a lot to learn.  I see that you have been through what I’m going through now and I look forward to learning from your efforts and past experiences.  I’m pretty motivated by myself, but I would appreciate comparing similar experiences with folks that have been through what I planning to do. 

Hey Jack!  Glad to have you back!
2010-04-14 9:41 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Hey guys,

For all of you on the prior mentor thread, you all know how much trouble I have had with shin splints.  Went out with a friend from masters swim prior to our swim and never felt the shin splints.  The run was hard for me cuz we were going way too fast for me and it was a little hot, but shins felt good.  So I don't know if it is my body getting used to running and working out, or that I have been more consistent with doing something everyday. Or both.

I use a fuel belt with 4 8 oz bottles, but generally only bring 2 with since I am not running long runs yet.  I know people that carry bottles, but for me my biceps still get a little tired running.

You could also try a hip belt that is a bigger stronger belt with one big bottle off your back. They are usually angled for easy access.
2010-04-14 11:10 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Let's see, I have tried:

-Nathan Quick Draw Handheld (didn't like the cap or the shape of the bottle and the cap kept breakinghttp://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/handhelds/quickdraw-plus
-Amphipod 2+ Run Lite Hydration (liked having something around my waist  even less than carrying ithttp://www.amphipod.com/8400/8400.html
-Amphipod Hydraform handheld (two sizes-this is what I use now and like the shape of the bottle, flatter and I don't even notice it any more)http://www.amphipod.com/380/380.html
-Just bought a Nathan Sprint for shorter runs (has the new gel valvehttp://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/handhelds/sprint

My quest for a comfortable and functional hydration system for running is expansive and expensive!  Smile
2010-04-15 9:28 AM

User image

Expert

For ALL my training runs, I wear a fuelbelt that holds a bottle and has a space for me to store my phone (for emergencies).  Plus, I live in Texas, so most of the time it's hot and I need hydration on even the shorter runs.  For most runs under an hour (about 6 miles for me), I only use water unless it's 90 degrees or more.  For extremely hot or longer runs, I use Gatorade.   About 10 miles is where I start adding extra nutrition.  I used gels for a while, but as I ate better and better, I found that the sugar causes cramps.  I've switched to cliff shot blocks and those seem to work better for me.  They are a little hard to chew while running, expecially on the colder days as they get harder.  Start experimenting with fueling for those longer runs so you know what works for you.

2010-04-15 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Hi everyone.
Went to the sports Dr yesterday. I have a Annular Disc Tear. No serious training until end May/beg June.
Looks like I'm walking the charity 10km May 2nd.
Have to do lots of walking, maybe some swimming and lots of core. Also managed to get a pass for back supported upper body weights.
Not supposed to sit. Thankfully I have a 9ft couch in my office.
I still have July, Aug, and Sept races in sight.
So will be redoing my training plan, trying out the pool and getting some core work in.

Thanks to Queen Zip for you inspires. Means a lot.

Fi
2010-04-15 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2793595

User image

Expert
alexenafi - 2010-04-15 9:32 AM Hi everyone.
Went to the sports Dr yesterday. I have a Annular Disc Tear. No serious training until end May/beg June.
Have to do lots of walking, maybe some swimming and lots of core. Also managed to get a pass for back supported upper body weights.
So will be redoing my training plan, trying out the pool and getting some core work in.

Fi

Frown  Sorry to hear.  But definitely better to let it heal and only be out for a couple of weeks, rather than push it and miss the whole season!  I guess it's a good chance for you to work on your swim!
2010-04-15 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies about long run hyrdration and nutrition.

It would be nice to find a loop that has public water fountains on it, but there are none like that in my area.

My next thing would be to consider doing the loop idea w/running by my house and having the stuff out waiting for me. That seems to be the most fiscally sound idea.

Once I get a couple of bucks, I will probably invest in a hydration belt, hmmmm, don't know which one yet but I can figure it out later. Actually maybe I can do this sooner than I thought, today is pay day for me!!
2010-04-15 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran

Fi

That's rough. But remember to stay postive, you get to focus on your swim!!! Hopefully you heal quick and stay strong after that!!! Goodluck with the recovery.
2010-04-15 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2793584

User image

Veteran
bar92 - 2010-04-15 9:28 AM

For ALL my training runs, I wear a fuelbelt that holds a bottle and has a space for me to store my phone (for emergencies).  Plus, I live in Texas, so most of the time it's hot and I need hydration on even the shorter runs.  For most runs under an hour (about 6 miles for me), I only use water unless it's 90 degrees or more.  For extremely hot or longer runs, I use Gatorade.   About 10 miles is where I start adding extra nutrition.  I used gels for a while, but as I ate better and better, I found that the sugar causes cramps.  I've switched to cliff shot blocks and those seem to work better for me.  They are a little hard to chew while running, expecially on the colder days as they get harder.  Start experimenting with fueling for those longer runs so you know what works for you.

Which part of texas are you in? My older brother is out in Midland.

2010-04-15 11:07 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Fi
Sorry to hear that....discs are a buggar....hope the plan works!
2010-04-15 11:35 AM

User image

Expert

Fi

Wow.  So sorry to hear that.  No sitting makes it hard to do lots of things.  Keep doing what you can, but don't overdo it. 
2010-04-15 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2793862

User image

Expert
scotty930 - 2010-04-15 11:01 AM
bar92 - 2010-04-15 9:28 AM

Which part of texas are you in? My older brother is out in Midland.

Just outside of Austin in a small town called Pflugerville.
2010-04-15 3:02 PM

User image

Sorry to hear about the injury but again stay positiveSmile . 1500 swim today 31:30 I would take that Sat. would like to break 30 though. Load the camper up tonight and off to Lake Anna in the morning looking forward to it.
2010-04-15 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Thanks guys. Your support will help me stay focused.
Just booked a cottage up wear one of my triathlons is. Will check in Sat, race Sun and then take the week to relax. It's a July 18th race so gives me about 7 weeks to get ready from when I  start back to running and biking.
Also signed up for my fav race from last year which is Aug 7th.

So gives me some goals to work towards.

You guys all sound like you are doing great.

2010-04-15 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2794719

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
alexenafi - 2010-04-15 3:51 PM Thanks guys. Your support will help me stay focused.
Just booked a cottage up wear one of my triathlons is. Will check in Sat, race Sun and then take the week to relax. It's a July 18th race so gives me about 7 weeks to get ready from when I  start back to running and biking.
Also signed up for my fav race from last year which is Aug 7th.

So gives me some goals to work towards.

You guys all sound like you are doing great.

Sorry to hear about your back.  Take your time to get good and healed up.  Remember your goals and know you won't get there if you push things too fast.
2010-04-16 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.  I am doing a century ride on Sunday and hoping that the weather holds out.  There is a big chance of rain.  Won't be fun if it does rain, but you never know what will happen on race day, so I guess it would be good practice.
2010-04-16 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2791111

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
yogachic - 2010-04-14 8:45 AM
michwea - 2010-04-14 10:03 AM Everyone--thanks for the advice on recovery.  I have weeks of continuity in my work schedule and then it all goes crazy with intermittent spurts of business travel.  Despite all that, I'm pretty consistent in my training--so I think scheduling some light/active recovery, probably on Fridays--would definitely be of benefit.

bar92--I'm deciding on a tri training plan at the moment.  I've been following the FIRST training program for my runs, and integrated the 12 week beginner cycling plan here on BT to get my cross training in (just finished that at the end of March).  I hope to get in the pool for the first time at the end of this week.  That's where my dilemma seems to come in.  I'm starting from scratch on the swim, so if I look at any of the real beginner plans for say a sprint tri, the swimming works, but the run and the bike come up way short from where I'm at right now. 

scotty930--I especially want/need to maintain my run fitness as I have a half mary at the beginning of June.  Looks like I'm going to have to do some creative mods to whatever plan I decide on.  Nice to see you just added some miles on your 'rest' day to make it work.

I've been using the FIRST training program for the marathon I'm doing, and I think it's a great base to use.  I'm planning on using it again over the summer when I'm training for my HIM & 2nd marathon.  But I'm planning on overlaying it with the BT Oly to HIM bridge plan for the swim and bike workouts. 

Not sure if you were looking for advice for picking a plan, so I'll leave you my $0.02 (if you didn't want advice, feel free to ignore!)  Since your run fitness seems to be a lot higher than swim or bike, you'd probably do well to combine a couple of plans and tweak it to your needs (or come up with your own), rather than just going straight off a generic plan.  Since swimming is your weakness, you'd probably want to focus on that more (not that I follow that myself, since my weakness is the bike, and I really haven't been biking all the much :-X)  If you haven't read it already, I really thought The Triathlete's Training Bible was a pretty good resource for putting together a plan for yourself based on how many hours you have to train, and what your weaknesses are.  Though it did have a lot of other stuff like that kind of went over my head as a beginner, so I skipped large portions of the book (maybe I'll understand it & find it useful now that I've had a couple of tris under my belt), but the part about how to put together your yearly training plan was REALLY helpful for me.

Responding a little late to the posts, but I was in San Francisco for two days for work...

Actually, one of the first books on tri that I read was the Triathlete's Bible.  I agree, as a newbie, a lot went over my head.  Still, a lot really made good sense--particularly all the information on developing an annual training plan.  I have since read a good half dozen or more books on the sport and spent a lot more time reading on the forums.  I feel like my understanding is coming together a bit more.  I think I might re-read The Triathlete's Bible and go from there.  I'm looking at plans in Gale Bernhardt's Training Plans for Multi Sport Athletes right now.  Seems to be a good complement to Joe Friel's training philosophy.  Your advice to pull from a couple of plans and tweak it seems like the way to go.

Thanks!

2010-04-16 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2791397

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Jacklcm - 2010-04-14 9:54 AM

Hi Neal,

Name: Jack

I'd like to re- join your mentor group if there is still room and its not too late.

STORY: My name's Jack (jacklcm).  Been on the site for about 8 months. Im 51 and I started training for a triathlon five years ago beginning with a 10k. Unfortunately after improving my fitness I started back playing soccer and blew out my knee. That set me back a few  years before I decided to get it fixed (new ACL) and begin the recovery that was suppose to take 6 months. Unfortunately, complications during recovery took over a year and I still couldn't run due feet problems. Triathlons really were not even in my mind I just want to be able to run without pain. After doing exercise classes at the YMCA I found spin classes and I did them three times a week for a year or so before getting back to running. I did a 10k in the spring 09 and got re-started training for my first tri in April last year using the free training plan here at BT. I was ready finally for my first sprint in May after five years and I was so excited. The night before I was finalizing preps and I pumped my tires up a tire blewout.  I found a bike shop open late and got a new set. My first race as so much fun I was hooked. After training all summer I completed an International in Oct (but I was weak on the run - missed some training due to a sprained ankle). After the Olympic I spent Oct working on my run and completed a half marathon
FAMILY STATUS: 
Married 24 years, 2 kids 21 and 18. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
I'm on week 19 of a 24 week program to prepare for the early half IM  May 8.  I’m joined a tri training group that started in  Feb. and I’m taking running classes to improve in running.  I'm evaluating a full IM by the end of  2011.

2010 RACES:
National Duathlon Festival (Duathlon) 4/25/2010  (Richmond Va.)

½ IM May Kenetic Louisa Va.

½ IM  Patriot – Williamsburg Va.

I plan to do another Olympic and a sprint during the summer.

2009 RACES:
Runing  10k March  and my Richmond half marathon fall.

Sprint in May and Olympic Oct.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:
I started last year at about 225 and was at 190 begining of the year.  I was looking to drop to 180, and I've been there but today I'm 182.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD STUDENT:

I’m very new and I’m continually looking to get better.  I don’t come from a background in any one of these sports so there is a lot to learn.  I see that you have been through what I’m going through now and I look forward to learning from your efforts and past experiences.  I’m pretty motivated by myself, but I would appreciate comparing similar experiences with folks that have been through what I planning to do. 

Hey Jack!  So glad you re-upped.  Good luck with your training.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 46