General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2010-11-04 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3111494

User image

Subject: RE: Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
1. Is this your first IM?
Yup - I've been a spectator then volunteer - caught the bug.
2. Have you done IMWI before?
Feel like i have volunteering and watching my husband twice.
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?
Finish with a smile. Start the race healthy, string, uninjured.
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?
Madison is something else...one of the greatest cities anywhere on earth. Family/home is near, bike course is within training distance....
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? Why does everyone yell/cuss around the buoys ? Contact is inevitable right? what if my goggles get knocked off - i'd rather deal with a bloody lip/face!!! How can i make sure my stomach doesn't shut down and reject calories? i'll spare you my hundreds of other thoughts and concerns. I've been waiting a long time for this and it will be life-changing. WOOT!!

2010-11-06 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3196100

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
lara13 - 2010-11-04 8:51 PM 1. Is this your first IM? Yup - I've been a spectator then volunteer - caught the bug. 2. Have you done IMWI before? Feel like i have volunteering and watching my husband twice. 3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? Finish with a smile. Start the race healthy, string, uninjured. 4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? Madison is something else...one of the greatest cities anywhere on earth. Family/home is near, bike course is within training distance....

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? Why does everyone yell/cuss around the buoys ? Contact is inevitable right? what if my goggles get knocked off - i'd rather deal with a bloody lip/face!!! How can i make sure my stomach doesn't shut down and reject calories? i'll spare you my hundreds of other thoughts and concerns. I've been waiting a long time for this and it will be life-changing. WOOT!!

At the first turn bouy people MOOOOOOO pretty funny to hear it. It is just a tradition since WI is in the country and lots of farms on the bike hence IMMOO! you will crack up in the water.

Contact yep pretty much going to happen on the swim. I would say you can limit the contact by starting in the back and far outside.
I know this year I had a pretty physical swim, but I was right up front on the bouy line. I was mostly hit, kicked, swam into, but nothing I would say was horrible.
I have had my goggles pulled off. 

Wear your goggles under your swim cap so you do not lose them if they get knocked off. Practice readjusting them while you are doing OWS, so IF it happens you are prepared. 

As far as making sure your stomach does not shut down/reject calories, practice your nutrition in training and stick to that plan on race day, but there is nothing you can really do to ensure your body will respond how you want it too on race day.
Good to have a just in case plan though. ?
For me, if I am nauseous I drink plain water,slow down until I feel better and eat a few bites of my oatmeal bars I bring. 
???G?o?o?d? ?l?u?c?k?,? ?h?a?v?e? ?f?u?n? ?t?r?a?i?n?i?n?g? ?a?n?d? ?h?o?p?e? ?t?o? ??m?e?e?t? ?????? ?y?o?u? ?o?u?t? ?t?h?e?r?e? ?n?e?x?t? ?y?e?a?r?.?
???N?i?c?o?l?e
???

2010-11-08 7:04 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Hi everyone,

I'm been in off season for about a month now and I don't know about everyone else, but I am starting to get a little stir crazy wanting to start up training.  What is everyone else doing to maintain or keep busy during off season?  Anyone else feeling this way.

2010-11-08 5:45 PM

New user
Normal, IL
I was just thinking the same thing. I'm new here and getting ready for my 1st IM in Madison next year. so...I'm just trying maintain whatever base I have left after last season by S-B-R at least a few times each week, hitting the weights, and playing basketball w/ my 12 yr old son. I just found the free IM plan on this site and it really helped remind me to hold off a bit. 9-11-11 is a long way off!

Good luck w/ your training.
2010-11-08 8:34 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Hi everyone!  I've been shy about posting but here goes!

1. Is this your first IM?  YES!

2. Have you done IMWI before? No
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?  Race to my abilities and perhaps this is a crazy thought, but to actually train and execute well enough run the marathon!
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?  My grandpa went to the University of Wisconsin and I guess I am a Badger by blood...visited Madison and love the city!  Also, I will be able to do the race with my good friend SSMinnow!
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? Not yet...but I am so excited!!! 

2010-11-09 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3201939

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
kt65 - 2010-11-08 8:34 PM

Hi everyone!  I've been shy about posting but here goes!

3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?  Race to my abilities and perhaps this is a crazy thought, but to actually train and execute well enough run the marathon!
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?  My grandpa went to the University of Wisconsin and I guess I am a Badger by blood...visited Madison and love the city!  Also, I will be able to do the race with my good friend SSMinnow!
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? Not yet...but I am so excited!!! 

Nothing to be shy about here, welcome to the group.

2010-11-09 5:31 PM

New user
Normal, IL
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?  Follow a solid training plan and start the race healthy and confident. Would love to go under 12 hrs, but that's secondary to feeling okay at the finish.
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?  Driveable from central Illinois, allowing for a few training swims and rides over next summer. Madison is a great city.
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? stay tuned, I'm sure I'll have plenty this spring.

2010-11-12 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3203630

Veteran
Ted O - 2010-11-09 5:31 PM 1. Is this your first IM?  YES!
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?  Follow a solid training plan and start the race healthy and confident. Would love to go under 12 hrs, but that's secondary to feeling okay at the finish.
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?  Driveable from central Illinois, allowing for a few training swims and rides over next summer. Madison is a great city.
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? stay tuned, I'm sure I'll have plenty this spring.

2010-11-12 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3203630

Veteran
Ted O - 2010-11-09 5:31 PM 1. Is this your first IM?  YES!

Ted o,
I live in Mahomet (not too far away from Normal) if you ever want to meet up for a run/ride.  I am in the same boat, I should be able to go under 12 hours witht he correct training and not slacking off.

Edited by Decatur217 2010-11-12 9:28 AM
2010-11-12 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3207940

New user
Normal, IL

Sound great D217. I tend to buzz by Mahomet often going to U-of-I...like tomorrow for the Minn game! Possibly also hit Madison for a ride once the snow finally melts in June. Have a great off-season.
2010-11-13 7:45 PM

User image

Mooresville, North Carolina
Hey everybody.  Last year was my first season of Tri's and I had a great experience with some conversations here helping me to do my first HIM in Racine at 6:02 (Old guy 50 year old). No one told me when I signed up for my first Tri ever that I was not supposed to sign up for Racine as my first.  I realized what I got myself into as I began. 

I am a member of a Tri group in the Chicago Area called Multisport madness.  The support in masters classes, spin classes, and group rides is very beneficial as we get help from professional training bible coaches.  If you have a chance to join a club like this, I would recommend it and from my newbie experience, it was valuable.  

I also found last year when I pulled people to go up for a ride or a swim in that freaking cold Racine water in May and June that some of the people on this forum would join us.  I met some great people and a few gave me some good advice and only when I asked for it.

So, Wednesday I practice the fifth discipline of the triathletes life.  What is that you say?

1. Swim  2. Bike  3. Run  4 Nutrition and 5, Shopping   I ordered a Specialized transition pro and I am going to pick it up on Wednesday.  Compact cranks, Vision aero bars, and some nice pedals.  I figure I need to stimulate the economy.  

Last, I am doing the Winter Maintenance program with the Bike limiter 10 week program.  This is a very intense program that is available with the bronze package.  Then from there, I fill in the gap and then go to the 21 week program for the advanced tri.   I would be very interested in seeing what programs you are using outside of this site.  Some of my friends used Ironfit the book and others use the Trainingbible but that is way expensive.  

Goal?  I am not ready to set a goal yet.   

Mark 

2010-11-13 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Hi everyone!  I'll be at IM Wis this year as the IronSherpa for my husband.  It's his first IM and we're pretty excited.  I'll be racing from point to point to cheer, so I'm sure I'll see some of you guys out there. 
2010-11-14 6:25 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Now that I got the beach2battleship half done, I can start thinking about this race! This will be my first Ironman race and I'm looking forward to getting started next spring. I'll be taking a week or so to recover from b2b and then ease into a winter maintenance program. I'll be following this thread and looking to gain some wisdom from you IM vets.
2010-11-14 10:52 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Hey all! I will not be racing IMWI in 2011 BUT I live just off the bike course in Madison and know every inch of the course. Some BT'ers came to Madison a couple times this year for training and I had a good time training with them. If anyone is coming into town at anytime in the next 10 months feel free to let me know and I would love to go for a training ride or run with you. I will be going back in 2012 to reach the potential I feel that I am capable of, but next year is all about my run. I usually ride the loop once a week anyway in the summer so I am sure we will all cross paths!
2010-11-16 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3210813

User image

Veteran
Channahon,Illinois
Hey Ben,  Thanks for the offer....Ill be sure to take you up on that...Hope the off season is treating you well.
2010-11-16 4:44 PM

User image

Albion and Cadillac
1. Is this your first IM? Yes
2. Have you done IMWI before? Nope
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? Many: 1)Finish 2)In under 12 hours 3)Stick to my nutrition plan 4)Run the entire marathon
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? Also Many: 1) I love Madison 2) It's a great venue with awesome volunteers and spectators 3) It's the 10th anniversary of both this Ironman race and of Sept. 11th. (I have many Firefighters in my family including my dad and brother who will both be at the race volunteering) 4) It's the closest Ironman to my house (MI).
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? Many but we'll save those for later.

I currently run a standard crank with an 11-26 on my tri bike. This give the top end speed of the 11 while offering a little variety and hill climb ability with the 26. I may go to something like a 12-25 for the IM though as many more experienced riders have said overgearing is common. So excited to get to know you guys and more importantly race with you next September. Happy training! 

2010-11-19 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3120733

User image

Albion and Cadillac
FredsRider - 2010-09-26 9:45 PM
LazyMarathoner - 2010-09-25 8:09 PM
FredsRider - 2010-09-25 8:27 PM
I'm planning to do HHH on my road bike this year so I'll get a chance to test it out. Of course HHH is WAY harder, but I'll hopefully do a course ride while there. Both bikes are equally as nice, I'm sure I'll race on the tri bike because I always do and I see the road bike as more for "fun."

I did the HHH last year on my road bike and the Insane Terrain on my Tri bike. After doing both those rides, IM hills seemed 'easier'. I hope I can get in the HHH again, as it was a great ride and I had a fun day. Hope to see you out there.  

I love how we call it fun now when in the moment it's anything but fun!!! Agree, it's way harder than the IM course. It's crazy.

I did the 200k last year and will do it again this year, as long as I can get in.
HHH was Hard, but I felt great all day long. Unlike at the Insane Terrain in July where I spent the first 3 hours throwing up, but regrouped and finished the ride strong. IMO the HHH was harder, even though the Insane has more elevation.

Nicole

Okay so I know that the HHH is very hard to get into, but is the insane terrain any easier to get into? I would like to do one of them this upcoming summer, and even though the HHH is my first choice I would settle for the IS. Thanks
-Luke
2010-11-19 7:52 PM

New user

Looking to enter IMWI in 2012.  Is there any chance of getting in via online registration?  or do you recomend going the volunteer route?

Thanks!
2010-11-19 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3219048

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
I registered online for both the 2010 and 2011 IMWI events and didn't have a problem.  Maybe I got lucky, but this has left me with the impression that online registration isn't a problem as long as you are ready to go when it opens up.
2010-11-19 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3219101

Veteran
wiky - 2010-11-19 8:08 PM I registered online for both the 2010 and 2011 IMWI events and didn't have a problem.  Maybe I got lucky, but this has left me with the impression that online registration isn't a problem as long as you are ready to go when it opens up.

You got lucky.  I tried online with 3 computers, work network & still couldn't get through the first time it was open.  I finally barely managed to get in when it reopened but only minutes before it closed & only after tons of time out/server busy errors.  Far, far from easy and I jumped on it the instant it opened.
2010-11-20 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3219048

User image

Albion and Cadillac
jjhunt3 - 2010-11-18 8:52 PM Looking to enter IMWI in 2012.  Is there any chance of getting in via online registration?  or do you recomend going the volunteer route?

Thanks!

I would definately go the volunteer route. Not only because it guarantees you a spot, but also because it is a great experience. I volunteered for the 2010 race and it was very cool. The athletes were so thankful, and it was nice to see the race first hand and help people on one of the greatest days of their lives. It also gives you a chance to see the course and the way things work if you're not from the Madison area.

2010-11-20 9:50 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Totally go the volunteer route and spend the whole day there.  The people that come in after 14 hours are something amazing to watch.  Pick all different jobs and have fun with it!

2010-11-20 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3219101

User image

Master
Chicago
Yeah 2010 wasn't too bad it was open for about 12 hours so most people who we're trying got in... but this year was another story.

Most of us couldn't get through the first day - They shut of registration because it was such an issue. I did get registered the first day, but only because I was on the last submit credit card page (after trying about 40 times) when they started shutting it off to postpone registration. I think those of us on the last page were able to submit because they had to delete the pending tickets one by one... or at least that's what my computer geek husband guessed what happened. I never got confirmation mails or anything, but it did end up working.

The stupidity here is I was at the race site in line that day and left because the lines were so long. Figured since 2010 was open for 12 hours it wouldn't be that different for next year. Wrong!

So yes. Always better to go to the race site.
2010-11-21 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3218899

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
lhbomb - 2010-11-19 4:46 PM
FredsRider - 2010-09-26 9:45 PM
LazyMarathoner - 2010-09-25 8:09 PM
FredsRider - 2010-09-25 8:27 PM
I'm planning to do HHH on my road bike this year so I'll get a chance to test it out. Of course HHH is WAY harder, but I'll hopefully do a course ride while there. Both bikes are equally as nice, I'm sure I'll race on the tri bike because I always do and I see the road bike as more for "fun."

I did the HHH last year on my road bike and the Insane Terrain on my Tri bike. After doing both those rides, IM hills seemed 'easier'. I hope I can get in the HHH again, as it was a great ride and I had a fun day. Hope to see you out there.  

I love how we call it fun now when in the moment it's anything but fun!!! Agree, it's way harder than the IM course. It's crazy.

I did the 200k last year and will do it again this year, as long as I can get in.
HHH was Hard, but I felt great all day long. Unlike at the Insane Terrain in July where I spent the first 3 hours throwing up, but regrouped and finished the ride strong. IMO the HHH was harder, even though the Insane has more elevation.

Nicole

Okay so I know that the HHH is very hard to get into, but is the insane terrain any easier to get into? I would like to do one of them this upcoming summer, and even though the HHH is my first choice I would settle for the IS. Thanks
-Luke

Luke
I did not have any problem getting registered for the HHH, but as Soon as registration opened up I was on my computer.
I registered for the Insane Terrain at the same time, and I do not think the IT sells out like the HHH.  
Hope you get in 

Nicole

2010-11-21 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3220580

User image

Albion and Cadillac
One last question: Is there any way you can get like a notification either by email or text or something that notifies you of when registration opens for HHH of IT? All that I have seen to this point says mid January and doesn't give a specific date/time.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 56