General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2010-09-22 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
OK I finally got in to Ironman Wisconsin 2011.  I went the route of the Ironman Foundation so this will be a little interesting.  I want to thank all that will donate and supported me.  There are some very generous people on BT.

So to start the thread rolling and to beat IMLP 2010 thread count.  ;)

I’ll ask;

1. Is this your first IM?
2. Have you done IMWI before?
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?

Edited by tasr 2010-09-22 8:29 AM

2010-09-22 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3111494

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
A new thread! How did you start it BTW? In all the other forums there is a New Thread button but I couldn't figure it out here

Nice to be racing with you again! Here are my answers:

1. Is this your first IM? - It will be my 4th
2. Have you done IMWI before? Twice! '09 and '10
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? Sub-12 (gulp, did I say that in public???). I'm planning two IMs so if I can't make sub-12 there, I'll aim for it at my flatter race
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? Challenging course, incredible support and family living about 3 blocks from the start/finish/transition. TONS of friends racing. Love it.
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?
I'm excited to see some of the (fast) folks from IMLP here and since the bike is my key goal for next season, I'll likely be looking for advice on increasing speed and taking it to the next level.
2010-09-22 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I guess I should answer my own questions.

No this will be 3rd official Ironman for me.

No but it’s truly been #2 on my list.  I want the comparison to the old question which IM is harder IMLP or IMWI?

I’ll find out. 

Finish well in my AG and to find the answer to question above.

I like cheese!

Yes.

I went the Ironman Foundation registration.  Under the FAQ was this;

What are the benefits?
Athletes receive an entry into a sold-out Ironman event and a $575.00 tax-deductible relief. There are no additional gifts for Ironman Foundation athletes.
Entries are non-transferable and deferments are NOT permitted.

What doe’s the bold mean?  I don’t get a tee shirt. 

2010-09-22 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3111513

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
LazyMarathoner - 2010-09-22 9:36 AM A new thread! How did you start it BTW? In all the other forums there is a New Thread button but I couldn't figure it out here

3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? Sub-12 (gulp, did I say that in public???). I'm planning two IMs so if I can't make sub-12 there, I'll aim for it at my flatter race
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? Challenging course, incredible support and family living about 3 blocks from the start/finish/transition. TONS of friends racing. Love it.
I'm excited to see some of the (fast) folks from IMLP here and since the bike is my key goal for next season, I'll likely be looking for advice on increasing speed and taking it to the next level.

Good stuff LM this will be the 3rd race I've been in with you.

New threads for Official races is created under Add a new race, so it linked I guess.

2010-09-22 8:52 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-22 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3111513

2010-09-22 9:39 AM

Veteran

1. Is this your first IM? Yes. I have done a 1/2 earlier this year in Racine and will do it again in 2011, but first full.
2. Have you done IMWI before? no.
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? Finish? =) I figure I will be in enough shape to finish under 12 hours.
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? Friends that have done it.  I got married earlier this year and we plan on having kids within a couple of years, I wanted to have a full done before I have a child.  I knew the signup fills in a flash, so if I missed it this year I could also miss next year.  So I made sure I got in!
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? What is the wind like?  What is a typical wheelset used? I know there are hills, but WHAT EXACTLY about the hills make it tough? How can I train on comparable hills? How long into the mass start swim, does it clear out a bit (I am ~1:45/100m swimmer through 1.2miles)

2010-09-22 9:40 AM

Veteran

1. Is this your first IM? No, it will be #10

2. Have you done IMWI before?  Yes, 2009

3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?  Do much better than I did in 2009

4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?  See question #3

To the poster above who asked which is harder - IMLP or IMWI?  Having done both I feel like IMWI is definitely harder.  But both are great races.

2010-09-22 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3111682

Veteran
Decatur217 - 2010-09-22 9:39 AM

1. Is this your first IM? Yes. I have done a 1/2 earlier this year in Racine and will do it again in 2011, but first full.
2. Have you done IMWI before? no.
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? Finish? =) I figure I will be in enough shape to finish under 12 hours.
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? Friends that have done it.  I got married earlier this year and we plan on having kids within a couple of years, I wanted to have a full done before I have a child.  I knew the signup fills in a flash, so if I missed it this year I could also miss next year.  So I made sure I got in! That and Louisville is way to hot!
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? What is the wind like?  What is a typical wheelset used? I know there are hills, but WHAT EXACTLY about the hills make it tough? How can I train on comparable hills? How long into the mass start swim, does it clear out a bit (I am ~1:45/100m swimmer through 1.2miles)

2010-09-22 10:35 AM

over a barrier

No, two time vet of IMOO

Yes, Imoo in 2007 and 2009

10:45

I live two hours a way and ride on the course and surrounding areas a ton.

Nope.
2010-09-22 11:18 AM
in reply to: #3111582

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
PennState - 2010-09-22 9:57 AM
LazyMarathoner - 2010-09-22 9:36 AM A new thread! How did you start it BTW? In all the other forums there is a New Thread button but I couldn't figure it out here

I have a strong feeling that if you can stay healthy that sub 12 hours is very possible for you. Seriously.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I year ago I would have said it was impossible, but after this season I feel much more confidant. I have some solid time to fully heal and hopefully make some improvements before diving in this winter. Injury-free is also my first goal!

2010-09-22 12:43 PM

Colorado

1. Is this your first IM?  YES!  And last triathlon, unless I DNF...
2. Have you done IMWI before?  No, just volunteered alot.
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?  Just to finish before midnight.
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?  Due to health issues, I need to stop triathlons and wanted to get a full IM in before I do so.  Madison is my home town.
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?  Can I swim in Lake Monona any time I want to?  Are there restrictions as to where to get in, how far out, any roped off areas?  I know there are swimmers out there the 2 days before the race, but I am traveling there in June and August of next year and would really like to swim.

Thank you for starting this thread!

2010-09-22 12:49 PM

2010-09-22 1:12 PM

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Hi everyone!  So excited to see this thread up!

1. Is this your first IM?  This is not my first, however this will be my first finish at IM.
2. Have you done IMWI before?  I raced in 2009 at IMWI and DNFed on the bike around mile 70.
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? To finish standing up smiling and walking and become an Ironman in front of my friends and family!!
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?  I live in Green Bay, WI and this venue is close but still a fun trip.  Since the DNF, all I have wanted to do was finish this course!
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?  I'm curious as to what everyone is planning on using for a training plan.  I will be a great resource for those of you who don't live in the state because I have biked the course numerous times and run the run course.   Feel free to ask away!

This is certainly going to be an emotional journey for me.  DNFing was probably one of the worst days of my life and has taken  a lot to feel like I am ready to really handle this challenge again!  I look forward to sharing this journey with everyone!!

2010-09-22 1:14 PM

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

1. Is this your first IM? No. It will be my second.

2. Have you done IMWI before? Yes. 2009.

3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? I have a couple. Well, more than a couple, actually.... First and foremost, arrive at the start line in better physical condition than I was in for my 2009 race. This means consistent PT in the off season for my decrepit knees and staying away from doorjambs in the dark. (Raced 2009 with an arthritis flare in both knees and a broken toe.) Second goal is to finish the race without hurting myself or anyone else. Third goal is to finish in under 15:29, which was my time in 2009. Fourth goal (which will go a long way toward reaching #3) is to have a sub 6 IM marathon. We'll see.

4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? I will know about 60 people out there on the course come race day. I've got tons of friends from my immediate area doing the race, as well as the whole BT contingent. I can't imagine NOT doing this race. PLUS it is about 2 hours from home. We ride there on the weekends. Easy access to the bike course. And we don't have to fly or drive for multiple days to get to the race venue.

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?  No... but I can probably answer some questions about the race if you all have any...

2010-09-22 1:16 PM

Master
Chicago
1. Is this your first IM? No. And Yes. I'm not an "Ironman" yet so I still consider it as an extension of my first journey. This will be my second time participating.

2. Have you done IMWI before? Yes. Last week at IMOO '10 - I had a not ideal day and in the end at mile 133.6 missed the 10:30pm cut off time. My first DNF and only 7 miles from the end.

3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? To get fit enough/lose weight so that I'm not kissing the cut-off time. I just want to finish and don't want to put a time goal on it but under 16 hours would be be ideal.

4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? Unfinished business, It's within driving distance, the well known atmosphere of the crowd.

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? Should I wait until I lose weight to buy a tri bike? Is it more advantageous for me to get one now and train on it for as long as possible or will a significant weight loss effect the bike fit too much? I did last years race on a non-carbon road bike and and looking at Tri Bikes for next year.

I look forward to reading about everyone's training. Last years group was fairly quiet for the most part so I'm hoping to see more activity.

2010-09-22 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3112149

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Whizzzzz - 2010-09-22 1:14 PM  

1. Is this your first IM? No. It will be my second.

2. Have you done IMWI before? Yes. 2009.

3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? I have a couple. Well, more than a couple, actually.... First and foremost, arrive at the start line in better physical condition than I was in for my 2009 race. This means consistent PT in the off season for my decrepit knees and staying away from doorjambs in the dark. (Raced 2009 with an arthritis flare in both knees and a broken toe.) Second goal is to finish the race without hurting myself or anyone else. Third goal is to finish in under 15:29, which was my time in 2009. Fourth goal (which will go a long way toward reaching #3) is to have a sub 6 IM marathon. We'll see.

4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? I will know about 60 people out there on the course come race day. I've got tons of friends from my immediate area doing the race, as well as the whole BT contingent. I can't imagine NOT doing this race. PLUS it is about 2 hours from home. We ride there on the weekends. Easy access to the bike course. And we don't have to fly or drive for multiple days to get to the race venue.

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?  No... but I can probably answer some questions about the race if you all have any...

So, where on the course should I be when you, Chris, Kristin, AJ, and all the others are coming through?  I was informed that I the only volunteer job I can do this year is registration so as to not miss you peeps.
2010-09-22 1:43 PM

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

1. Is this your first IM? no
2. Have you done IMWI before? yes, 2009
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? still thinking about this one!
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? I live only 45 min away..work in Madison. Can train on the course anytime. 
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? I will eventually

2010-09-22 1:56 PM

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

For those of you who ventured to the race site this year, does anyone know why are big giant blow-up Ironman, like in Amy's picture have gone???  I wanted my picture next to it and it was gone!!!!

2010-09-22 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3112075

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
PennState - 2010-09-22 1:49 PM Any suggestions on where to stay? I will be going with my wife and 2 daughters, so looking for a family friendly place. Also, what are peoples off season plans for training?

I recommend downtown so you can walk back and forth easily with the family, enjoy the farmer's market and the kids can stay put if they get tired. There is a new hotel, the Hyatt Place on West Washington that is exactly across from my bedroom window at my parents' It's nice because it's about two blocks off the capitol square so nice and peaceful, but just a couple minutes walk to transition/start/finish/expo, etc. The Hilton is literally connected to transition... likely sold out though. I might still have the full accommodations list if you want me to send it!

Offseason - bike intervals and swim form, I want to keep increasing bike speed and drop fat and I am very poor on the swim, time to improve. I'm also doing some fun races, 5Ks, relays, etc, the sort of stuff you don't have time for during IM prep.
2010-09-22 2:27 PM

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
To address a few of the questions:

- You can swim in Monona at all times, there are a number of different beaches and you can go in right at the swim start. There are a lot of boats though so you need to be very careful. I have done it in June and have someone come with to keep an eye on me and stay pretty close to the shore

- Wheelsets vary a lot. Wind isn't normally a big issue in this race, though it was fairly windy on the second loop this year but nothing like the flat windy courses.

- The hardest part about the hills, and the bike course in general, is the constant change. You are almost always changing gears, climbing/descending or turning. There are only a couple long sections without  turns and unfortunately one is a hideous false flat that shreds my average and my dignity. I hate it. I find it way harder than the "big hills" everyone talks about. The big hills are incredible, packed with spectators, costumed people who run up with you, music, etc. I actually look forward to them. Train somewhere with constant rollers and be prepared to throw in a few steep grades on legs tired from rollers. Also work on cornering and general bike handling. It's twisty.

- The blow-up M-dots were absent from IMLP as well, I think WTC did away with them!

2010-09-22 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3112412

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
LazyMarathoner - 2010-09-22 2:20 PM
PennState - 2010-09-22 1:49 PM Any suggestions on where to stay? I will be going with my wife and 2 daughters, so looking for a family friendly place. Also, what are peoples off season plans for training?

I recommend downtown so you can walk back and forth easily with the family, enjoy the farmer's market and the kids can stay put if they get tired. There is a new hotel, the Hyatt Place on West Washington that is exactly across from my bedroom window at my parents' It's nice because it's about two blocks off the capitol square so nice and peaceful, but just a couple minutes walk to transition/start/finish/expo, etc. The Hilton is literally connected to transition... likely sold out though. I might still have the full accommodations list if you want me to send it!

Offseason - bike intervals and swim form, I want to keep increasing bike speed and drop fat and I am very poor on the swim, time to improve. I'm also doing some fun races, 5Ks, relays, etc, the sort of stuff you don't have time for during IM prep.

Agreed! Or, if you will have a car, the Clarion suites out by the Alliant Energy Center is where we stayed last year. We had a suite with a full sized fridge, freezer and stove. And microwave. And dishwasher! It was nice. The only drawback was that since we were both doing the race, and Chris finished so far ahead of me... the logistics of him being able to go and take a shower... and then catch a bus and come back to see me finish... were a bit tricky.
2010-09-22 2:51 PM

Master
Chicago
I stayed at that new Hyatt Place - It was really convenient walking to pretty much everything and because it's a few blocks away not quite as expensive, but still a splurge.

I'm hoping to stay there again but I didn't reserve a room yet. I managed to get a good deal there around the first of the year that was less then the IM-room-block price. That deal might have been becuase the hotel had not been built yet though. With all the crazy hotel taxes 3 nights came to about $500 dollars. There is a small fridge in the room, the rooms are separated by a divider so there is a nice living room/kitchen area, flat screen TV, Free internet etc.
2010-09-22 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3111788

Master
Chicago
PS - I was really sad I couldn't find the IM blow-up too. Was hoping it was just becuase it was windy out during the expo. It seems like IM is doing away with a lot of the cool little details lately. The most disappointing being the lack of DVDs.
2010-09-22 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3112060

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Hi All!!

1. Is this your first IM?  2nd 

2. Have you done IMWI before?  Yes, IM WI '10, #2825! 
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?  Faster swim, faster bike, but too early to commit to a time goal
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?  I live in Madison.
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?  Nope, but I can answer a lot of questions about the area.

Suzy

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 56