BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-05 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3256691

Subject: RE: Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED
I think that you can mix in some prepared/boxed foods with more "whole" foods and be OK.  A trick is to shop and stock up on easy to prep things that aren't crap preferably when you aren't hungry so you make good decisions.  I have a box of whole wheat bean burritos in the freezer that I'm really grateful for when I need food RIGHT NOW. 

Fat free Greek yogurt, hummus, nuts, and some Lean Cuisine entees are good to have on hand as they are high in protein and are fast.  I've also cut up some veggies and keep them in a big bag in the fridge so I don't have the excuse that they aren't prepped.  Also a giant bowl of salad.  I pack my snacks and lunch after breakfast so I am thinking somewhat straight and pack a lot of food - just most of it is fruits and veggies.

I'm trying to think of it as focusing on what I can and should eat as opposed to what I shouldn't.  Drink tons of water and some skim milk, eat some fruit and lots of veggies and lean protein.  This sort of edges out the refined carbs. 

2011-01-05 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3280889

User image

Master
mgma8814 - 2011-01-05 8:57 PM Thanks, Peter and Ashley for your input. 

I drink no soda at all because I'm too easily addicted to it. So I do mostly drink water and  the greasy foods I can stay away from.

Ashley- You know, 2 years ago when i was really losing weight, I did just that. Counted every calorie and made virtually all my own meals. Right now though, with medical school, time is a luxury and scheduling workouts is a bit tricky already. I'm trying to find a balance between some processed food, and meals made from scratch. I love to cook- but after 10-12 hours of school, coming how to prepare a meal from scratch isn't all that appealing.

I do my best to eat as clean as I can- but it's not always possible.

If it weren't for Ensure, I never would have made it through Medical school and residency. Cheap, easy, fast and nutritious. Downside is taste and texture.

One thing to remember, you have more free time now than you will in the future.
2011-01-06 3:26 AM

User image

Hi everyone,

I am about to suit up and head out for a nice easy run now that it has cooled down a bit. Tomorrow is a swim in the morning and I am really looking forward to it.

I know this is perhaps not the place for this sort of thing ... but I just felt the need to share something kinda personal.

Today, my 4-year-old rode his bike without training wheels for the first time. I am so very excited (and so is he)! I thought I'd share it with you all. I know lots of you have kids, so you'd know what a milestone it is!!

... Now I just need to get him to do the swimming, biking and running all together and he'd be right for a tri!!!!

Em

run on ... Smile
2011-01-06 6:26 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Thats really cool Em! Nice to hit the milestones, especially with regards to swim, bike and run haha! We have had our two older girls do IRONKIDS the last two years and its always a blast. Hopefully my soon to be 5 year old boy will go down that path! Love to hollar for all those junior triathletes.

As you probably know, it is no big thing on cutting a recovery run short Peter. The key workouts you can't wuss on though and it doesn't sound like you are. That was a tough workout week you have scheduled if I recall correctly.

Man that hockey thing was all over twitter and facebook. I had no idea it was such a big thing. If any of you want to friend me there, I go by an alias to keep the professional contacts at bay. Just send a request to clyde taint watts on rb or clydewatts on twitter. Would be glad to add you.

Our group seems to be developing a nice small community to discuss things. I want to make sure you all are getting your needs met. Speak up if you have any questions, anxieties, etc. I think some of you may have thought why is he paying his coach if he's not listening to him after one of my last posts.

I am a terrible client. Have authority issues. My running coach fired me. The reason I like and stick with Shanks is for the weekly and longer view blueprints. He helps me with race scheduling, race planning, training plans, and sports psychology. I tend to use his workouts as a reminder of what I should be doing instead of what I could be doing. This sometimes gets me in trouble as being more conservative might keep injuries at bay. However, I want to max this old bag of bones out. I keep pushing the envelope, and he generally tolerates it or puts me in my place in a nice way. Coaching relationships are pretty interesting...

What are you doing or have you done today? Lets make the day count.

Edited by phatknot 2011-01-06 6:36 AM
2011-01-06 9:22 AM

User image

Master
50 minute Spinnerval #4. Trying to get to the pool at lunch but work may be an issue today.
Weather looks favorable for skiing tomorrow so I may be cross training.

She did the bike with her training wheels on

Edited by pschriver 2011-01-06 9:26 AM

(peter_schriver_and_daughter.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
peter_schriver_and_daughter.jpg (68KB - 21 downloads)
2011-01-06 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3281784

User image

Elite
SE
love the photo Peter! Great work.

I did manage to knock out 10k on the track descending from mid 8 to low 7s averaging about 7:45. Using the premack principle, I treated myself to two atkins treats as a reward. down 6lbs so far in 2011.

you only use your coach during the racing season? 

2011-01-06 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
5.61 mile run complete.  Felt a few weird PF type twinges.  Time to get out the tennis ball!  I'm supposed to do a 1 hour bike ride today but I'm going to move it to tomorrow.  My friend is having a "midwestern feast" for her birthday tomorrow and she's making lots of really bad stuff for dinner so I need tomorrow to be a two workout day so I can engage in the festivities. I'm pretty intrigued by this dinner.  I grew up with hippie parents so I've always eaten super healthy but I'm really looking forward to jello salads and pies...no tater tot casserole for me, though!

Have a great day everyone! 
2011-01-06 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3282385

User image

Elite
SE
great work nerdjock!

i am not a big fan of messing with my feet in a stretching-sense; all it did was seem to aggravate it. when i had some PF last year, my best treatment was ice after runs, and reducing intensity demands.

my itbs hurt a bit in 09 and screwed up my boston mary that year and thats one thing that seemed to improve with heat, massage, and stretching. i swear by my PT who is a triathlete when something starts going wrong, but as i said before ive had some better luck with less stretching in the last year or so.
2011-01-06 1:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
THAT is an adorable picture!!
she looks like she's having a total blast
incredible!

I'm on the verge of bailing on my planned hill session tonight...
I was planning on ducking out of work early to beat the snow... but the snow has already started.
If by 3:30 it's stopped, I'll still go for it.

If it's covering the ground, I'm bailing & going for a spin class instead.

(I get CRAZY cautious where snow & ice are involved....)
such a fear of mine-- no clue how to get over it
but ah well.
spring is coming!

that was the MOST BRUTAL 20 min of hockey I've ever seen
rough for such young guys to experience a melt down like that...
but chalk it up to yet another learning experience I guess.
They'll pretty much all be laughing all the way to the bank soon anyway-- when they break into the NHL.
(lucky devils....!)
2011-01-06 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3281784

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
since we're showing off our progeny - my 7 y.o. boy finishing his 6th Kids Tri and my 3 y.o.  girl finishing her first 1km toddler trot.
2011-01-06 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
You all have a bunch of cute kids!  Someday when I have kids, I hope they'll get involved in tris.  For now, though, it's just me and the pig ninjas.

Phat: Thanks for the advice.  I've never had any PF before and I come from a running background, so I'll try icing.  Might get new shoes and insoles, too.  That usually helps weird twinges.  I hear you with the ITBS.  I had a bad bout several years ago when I first got into distance running.  Of course, I overtrained and the ITBS took me out for a long time.  I try to use the foam roller every day but I need to work on making that a habit. 

2011-01-06 2:19 PM

User image

Elite
SE

You know I am glad you mentioned that nerdjock. I forgot i have superfeet insoles in my high mileage trainers once I got the PF. That helps and so does track running. I tend to stay on rubberized surfaces as much as possible to prevent injury. I can't hack the trails as much due to weak ankles from high school basketball. I can handle the road but its a bit harder on my feet obviously.

That foam roller is dastardly. I wuss out and go for the stick or the trigger points if I need to soften some tissue out. Again though, I had a better year avoiding all of that rolling and stretching jazz.

great shots mgalanter! you all can post some if you want.

2011-01-06 3:28 PM

I love my masters swim class.  Our coach is so evil and makes me do things that I'm like "Are you kidding me???" But then I do them.  I swear the 2000 we did today felt like 20,000.  One day I will need to be fished from the bottom of the lane, but it wasn't today!  That makes it a good day. 
2011-01-07 6:22 AM
in reply to: #3282928

User image

Elite
SE
awesome swim slokat! I love/hate those master classes. the problem for me is they are at 6:15 am and the older I get, the less I want to get up that early to work out. You always feel so good after a morning swim.

PSA: Something is bugging me about what I am reading on some other threads on BT recently. Its lots of coaches and mentors telling people what they shouldn't be doing. I totally understand where they are coming from. However, I think it also creates a bunch of wussies.

We need to be taking big bites out of life not little nibbles. I want you all to keep pushing the boundaries of what is possible in whatever way you can. Don't mess yourself up, but don't listen to all the conservatism as it regards working out either.

I want to know what you did yesterday and today if you haven't checked in. Get active and start checking in!
2011-01-07 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Ski plans fell apart due to work.
Did Spinnerval 23 #1 this morning (30 min high intensity intervals)
Going to try and swim later

Would like to hear some thoughts on short, high intensity workouts vs. longer moderate efforts?
2011-01-07 10:08 AM

Extreme Veteran
I'm a fan of short, high intensity workouts (fit in more easily during the week)
& especially since speed is a concern of mine... I think they're pretty valuable too!

that being said: today's plan is SPIN CLASS at lunch
(& i'm SHAMELESSLY looking forward to busting out of work for an hour)

2011-01-07 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
sorry that i have been mia this week-just swamped the first part of the week with work stuff. did get a decent run in this morning-15 hilly miles and hopefully spend some time on the bike outdoors this weekend. happy friday to everyone.
2011-01-07 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Set out on a bike ride today but it was way too cold so I wussed out and rode the trainer for 1.5 hours.  Desperately want to ride outside.  Maybe Sunday.
2011-01-07 4:58 PM

User image

Elite
SE
wplummer good job on the run. nerdjock still gets on the trainer so nice recovery. Peter, I have to tell you that I think you need a bit of everything (LSD, tempo/LT, and Vo2 work) to get the best results. But let me speak to intensity specifically.

This year I had a smattering of clusters of vo2 (max effort) and longer ftp bike intervals . we took my 20" and 5" up about 10% and 5% respectively if I recall correctly. My bike times were improving insanely and positively correlated to my bike results at all tri distances. Shanks did this by building on my weekly outputs.

as an example i would do 6x4' at ftp of 312watts with 45" rest intervals and then take the average which might be 320 watts, then the next week the expectation would be to do the same intervals at 320 instead of 312. Ultimately we got my ftp up to 342, and my bike was progressing so fast. EC coaches and athletes were really impressed. Sadly my run times went down a bit comparatively this year until IMFL when I figured out the budgetary demands a bit better. But bottom line my overall times improved due to having such a strong bike. I think the intensity was key; however, I would be remiss if I did not tell you that I also rode plenty of longer z2 rides too. I think you can draw a parallel in running and swimming.

what I am thinking is that training load is a function of intensity and volume. you pretty much can improve by varying either or both. The more of each you can get your body to accept the better your overall times will be. Hope that sounds right and understandable to all of you. this is not as rocket science as many would have you believe...
2011-01-07 6:01 PM

User image

Checking in...you're gonna hate me because I stretched. My workouts included two 10+ hour days of busting my hump plus a turnaround. I will be running Sat pm, and ride Sun am, run pm.have a great Fri guys.....and gals!
2011-01-07 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3285605

User image

Elite
SE
No haterade here. Gotta pay to play!

2011-01-07 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Great stuff. Thanks for throwing out some power numbers and ideas to boost them.

I agree with living life to the fullest. Just don't want to spend part of it in rehab. A big struggle is balancing work with hobbies. This leads to the question of how to get the most "Bang for the Buck". I got so hung up with IM training that I looked forward to a less than 1 hour workout. I just don't want to do 30' high intensity spins believing that they will help me more than a 2 hour Z2 and vice vs.

As far as  reading about conservative training on the main board; anytime I thought I was overtraining, I look at your logs and realized I need to take it up a notch.
2011-01-07 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3285841

User image

Elite
SE
Thanks for the recognition Peter. I still wish I could do more!

My thoughts on how to answer your question are more of a psychological nature. If physiologically, psychologically or pragmatically you are limited to certain time for workouts, you have no choice but to increase the intensity aspect of the total training load (vs volume) and to hope for the best. This is touted by many great Bt'ers like JorgeM and marvarnett. Again, though, in my non-properly educated mind, you need to do it all if you want to maximize.

Having said that, not everyone has a flexible schedule, accomodating life, lack of outside interests, etc so you have to adjust your expectations cognitively and understand you are quite possibly not going to get the maximum your body would allow on race day. Thus you can't berate yourself for being a wuss/snakes in the head/whatev. You have to recognize that race day performance is a product of what you did in training.

Train the three systems at the right intensities and volume (best to be determined by a good coach) and expect the best pschriver has to offer. Don't train all three and prepare yourself to accept the results.

I am all for being well rounded. I'm just not very good at it as much as I try. However, Chrissie Wellington is 20x as single-minded as me and look where she is at. We are all a product of our genetic ability, the amt of training we do, the quality of the training, coaching, nutrition, etc. Then there is the course, the conditions, your health on the day, etc. Thats why expecting a certain time out of yourself is a recipe for misery imho.
2011-01-07 8:47 PM

User image

Elite
SE
And there are more of you I want to hear from. You know who you are. Nowhere to hide on BT!
2011-01-08 12:23 AM

User image

My guilty conscience is telling me you mean me, Slayer!!!

I was ill all day yesterday. Really bad abdominal cramps, pain, felt sick, no food, just sit around kinda thing. I was at work at the time ... very ordinary and really weird. I don't usually get like that.

BUT: I figured the run I had done the night before might have been the cause. I hadn't had a run for a while, and then I worked myself a bit harder than I intended (even though that was still really, really slow!!!) ... maybe my body was rebelling?!!

I dunno. I'm going with that. Tonight (if the little dude goes to bed at an appropriate hour) I will do an easy bike.
Tomorrow if I feel okay, I might do a slow jog/walk thing. Try to keep my HR down, which is very hard for me to do. I can't keep it under control. I'm never massively out of breath, and my HR always drops quickly after I stop. Any suggestions??

BTW: Here's a pic of my little bloke on day two of riding without training wheels!!

Em

Edited by emholli 2011-01-08 12:26 AM

(mannyonhisbike.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
mannyonhisbike.JPG (68KB - 11 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38