BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QueenZipp & Dexter's good cop/ bad cop - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-01-26 11:16 PM
in reply to: #3323865

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Subject: RE: QueenZipp & Dexter's good cop/ bad cop - FULL

There's a dead animal in it! ... wouldn't be drinking that

Edited by Akuma 2011-01-26 11:17 PM

2011-01-27 6:36 AM
in reply to: #3323471

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-27 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3323865

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
jezzieswims - 2011-01-26 11:10 PM
QueenZipp - 2011-01-26 4:48 PM I just want the beach and a few umbrella drinks with rum today!

Great pic though!!

Is this what you had in mind?

Most definitely!!
2011-01-27 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3323797

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
dexter - 2011-01-26 9:52 PM I would trade the swim work out with upper body strength training.  Lots of internal and external rotation of the shoulder with a light weight.  Endurance training starts at 400 reps in case you interested and like to count.   
Rowing is a good workout to replace a swim. 

Me I'd let it go and just rest it and be happy, but then again some peoples call me the rest police. 

Hope the rest are good  I have a student and starting to take on some other responsibly at work so I actually have ot work. 

We all should stop by and give Judi a little umbrella drink. 

YES! 
on both accounts there!  Dud is the Chief of the Rest Police!  He has a few others also on that force with him.

Yes!  I need a LOT of umbrella drinks today.
2011-01-27 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3261875

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Lee...that race pic is awesome.  I can almost feel the warm ocean breeze!  I'm totally envious.  We've had about two weeks solid of grey, cold, drippy fog.  I came out of a restaurant last night, and I kid you not, it was swirling around my feet like I was in some episode of the Munsters.  On the bright side, it has been burning off by about noon everyday so we get a glimpse of sunlight for a couple of hours at least.

Spring is right around the corner in these parts...I can hardly wait.
2011-01-27 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3323126

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Akuma - 2011-01-26 12:55 PM
So Adam, were you able to get in a ride?  Did the temps ever drop?  I had no idea that Sydney saw those kind of temperatures.  Here in the Central Valley of California, we can be 100+ degrees for weeks on end.  Makes training a real pain.  They say you can acclimate to it, but so far, I've never found a way.   I usually limit my training to very early runs when it might be 70ish at 5am or after 7pm at night when at least the sun's not beating down on your directly.

Yeah Michelle I did, twiddled my thumbs most of the afternoon waiting for the temps to drop but they never did so in the end I figured bugger it, just go and suffer the consequences. It's been 7 years since I have had a my bum on one of those tiny tiny seats, so it felt very odd, but I slowly warmed to it, although feeling the effects of it in the back and shoulders this morning. I even dragged out my old tri pants to ride in which brought back memories of hard work, and shaved legs

Yeah Sydney can get to those temperatures for sure, especially out west where I am, a real dry heat that leaves men with distance scottish blood either resembling a lobster, or a small pile of ash on the floor Now for a run and swim today ... been a LONG time since my body felt this  

Hilarious!  And I know what you mean.  I'm half Portugues and half German.  My brother used to call me Casper the Friendly Ghost when I was growing up.  Oh, and Whitefish.  I imagine you can guess which half took precedence in my genetics. 

And in these parts, we say it's a dry heat too...just like fire.

2011-01-27 10:25 AM

2011-01-27 10:34 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

FYI....for those of you really new to this sport.....USAT has a magazine called USA Triathlon Life you get with your membership.  It has some really excellent articles in the winter edition for new triathletes.  As a seasoned athlete I found some of the info good too so it's not a waste of time for anyone to read. 

There's a swim set in there that I copied down but don't think I will be using any time soon...unless I cut half of it out cause it's 4400 yards!  Also a good intermediate bike trainer workout that looks challenging but not as much as the training plans from say, Jorge's winter training session (see challenge forum for his plan and links....I have been doing it slowly this winter)

2011-01-27 12:30 PM

Master
PNW
Wow, Lee - that finish photo!  What is that bright light coming from the sky?  And why is the sky blue?  Isn't it supposed to be grey this time of year?  I'm so confused.

Michelle - we've had that same fog you speak of for days on end here.  It's unusual for us, this time of year, actually.  The sun does peek it's little head through for about an hour or so before it sets.  That's the hardest part being so far north.  Even though it doesn't get all that cold here in the Portland area, it's very dark this time of year.  It was a big adjustment when I moved here after living in the south eastern US for the past 10 years!
2011-01-27 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3324418

Master
PNW
michwea - 2011-01-27 7:46 AM
Akuma - 2011-01-26 12:55 PM
So Adam, were you able to get in a ride?  Did the temps ever drop?  I had no idea that Sydney saw those kind of temperatures.  Here in the Central Valley of California, we can be 100+ degrees for weeks on end.  Makes training a real pain.  They say you can acclimate to it, but so far, I've never found a way.   I usually limit my training to very early runs when it might be 70ish at 5am or after 7pm at night when at least the sun's not beating down on your directly.

Yeah Michelle I did, twiddled my thumbs most of the afternoon waiting for the temps to drop but they never did so in the end I figured bugger it, just go and suffer the consequences. It's been 7 years since I have had a my bum on one of those tiny tiny seats, so it felt very odd, but I slowly warmed to it, although feeling the effects of it in the back and shoulders this morning. I even dragged out my old tri pants to ride in which brought back memories of hard work, and shaved legs

Yeah Sydney can get to those temperatures for sure, especially out west where I am, a real dry heat that leaves men with distance scottish blood either resembling a lobster, or a small pile of ash on the floor Now for a run and swim today ... been a LONG time since my body felt this  

Hilarious!  And I know what you mean.  I'm half Portugues and half German.  My brother used to call me Casper the Friendly Ghost when I was growing up.  Oh, and Whitefish.  I imagine you can guess which half took precedence in my genetics. 

And in these parts, we say it's a dry heat too...just like fire.

Or a blow torch?
2011-01-27 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3324521

Veteran
Sydney
robcolling - 2011-01-28 3:25 AM
I mailed out my registration today for the St. Patrick's 4-Miler on March 12, 2011. Let's see if I can beat last year's time of 44:34. I bet I can!

--Rob 

Good stuff Rob, good luck, I'll be there in spirit, which is much less tiring  

2011-01-27 8:07 PM

Master
Canandaigua
Rob good luck.  I'm sure you'll do great.  I just signed up for a indoor tri around the same time.

Yes I am the rest police.  I think of it more like recovery.  If we just keep busting your body you never give it time to heal and strengthen you run the risk of injury.  The theory and proven is to stress and rebuild.  The muscle needs to be damage and that stimulates the body to make the structure stronger.  I'm a firm believer that rest is not stressing the body.  You can't stress the uppers without effecting the recovery of the lowers.  Yellow squares rock. 
2011-01-27 8:51 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
If you want to know why most triathletes swim in the morning I think I figured it out.  Family swim time at thw pool.  Dodged freaking obnoxious kids all night!
2011-01-27 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3324521

Master
San Diego, CA
robcolling - 2011-01-27 8:25 AM
I mailed out my registration today for the St. Patrick's 4-Miler on March 12, 2011. Let's see if I can beat last year's time of 44:34. I bet I can!

--Rob 

You've got it Rob!
2011-01-27 11:19 PM

Veteran
Sydney
Hi all, sorry for the upcoming ramblings, I hope Judi and Dudley don't mind me filling some space.

Today was a turning point, when the body flipped modes from "I need to be careful, I am sick" mode to "I can do whatever I believe in" mode. I assume you all have not had the honour of getting cancer, obviously the illness is terrible, but if you get an aggressive type like I did, the treatment is way worse. They have to match the cancers aggressiveness with some of the most toxic chemicals ever deliberately injected into a human body. Fight fire with fire so to speak, especially if you are in a younger age bracket. I won't go into the rights and wrongs of the approach, that is a slippery slope.

What it meant was I went from a triathlete in 2005 to someone who could literally not walk 20 meters without fainting from exhaustion, could not pick up my own 1 year old child as he was too heavy and the strain gave me headspins, insomnia, nausea, no hair, loss of friends (a side effect they don't mention in the pamphlets), drastic loss of body weight (I dropped 15kg (33lbs) in the first month), emotional distress etc. etc.

So why bore you all about this here? (sorry) Because while this was only my first week back into training, I have run, biked, swam and played football and I feel great!! And what's more, the brain has now flipped so that now all I can think of is when is my next training session, and maybe I can sneak another in this afternoon. The body is starting to crave the feeling of exercise, after only a week, I never expected that!

Since the treatment ended I have been told constantly to take it easy from here on in, don't extend myself, essentially saying, although not their intention, to live a quiet life until the cancer returns, which is statistically the most likely thing to happen, especially for those that make no changes to their lifestyle.

Well bugger them, it only took a week for my body to tell me I am doing the right thing, it is lapping the load up, to me it is already telling me an Ironman at the end of 2012 is certainly possible. They consider you "cured" after 5 years of remission (for me that's next year), but in reality that is just when they stop checking up on you . For me I'll be cured when I feel in control again, perhaps that is what this training is all about?

One thing cancer does is make you hyper-sensitive to how your body is feeling. It reminds you your body has a system that tells you what it likes and doesn't, the problem is we all ignore it most of the time. Work that extra hour at work despite feeling tired and you get the fuzzy head the next morning, eat that donut and despite your brain telling you it will taste great, you feel bloated and sluggish. If you spend a day or two listening to your body (not your brain), you will be surprised how many very clear signals it gives.

They are not all physical either, I stumbled over this yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EokseUskyDI

... and it brought such a full body emotional response, there was no doubt I needed to do it. I'm not an outwardly emotional guy, my wife thought something was wrong, it took a while to convince here it was the exact opposite. Why it is telling me this I don't know, perhaps to give the proverbial two fingers to all those that think cancer is a disability, or perhaps to prove to myself I really am healed, whatever the reason, it is not something I want to do anymore, it is something I need to do.

I hope everyone is well, please remember your body knows best, and listen to it carefully. We are not invincible, but we can remain undefeated

Edited by Akuma 2011-01-28 5:30 AM
2011-01-28 2:02 AM

Veteran
Nassau, Bahamas
Adam, that's amazing!  You are more than an inspiration, it makes me feel like my plight is insignificant in comparison!  

I love the fact that you are what, 12 hours ahead?  There are people around the world in this one small group inspiring each other and that in itself is amazing to me!  I've been on forums before, but nothing like this.  

I'm on your side no matter where you are!  I hope one day to stand next to one of our forum be it at the start, finish, or passing by, and to say, hey! great job, keep it up!

Lee 

2011-01-28 7:10 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
That is powerful stuff, Adam.  Very true about the mental switch that takes place.  Happens with a lot of chronic/ devastating illnesses.  It's going to be a privilege to see your training take off and your body respond to the demands you place on it.  Thanks for sharing the journey with us.
2011-01-28 9:39 AM

2011-01-28 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3326636

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
robcolling - 2011-01-28 9:39 AM That's a great thought, Adam. It reminds me of the time I attended a support group for kids with cancer when I was around 10 years old or so. My mother ran the program and I tagged along to hang out with some of the kids and play games, talk, etc. Most of the kids had leukemia, and in 1979 that was a particularly bad diagnosis. 

I can clearly recall the joy on their faces when they had a chance to kick a soccer ball around out in the grass. Or play a game of tag. I didn't know it at the time, but I would surmise that a great many responsible adults in their lives were telling them to "take it easy" and "don't run too much." Yep, they got tired pretty quick, but caught their wind and played some more. I guess they were just listening to their bodies.

Thanks for that lesson, Adam.  It's easy to forget the simplest ideas can be the best ones. 

Ya tryin' to make me feel OLD today?  I was in college by then.
2011-01-28 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3326926

2011-01-28 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3326926

Veteran
Nassau, Bahamas
1979?  i wasn't even thought of yet!  Cool

2011-01-28 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3327102

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
robcolling - 2011-01-28 12:21 PM
QueenZipp - 2011-01-28 12:05 PM
robcolling - 2011-01-28 9:39 AM That's a great thought, Adam. It reminds me of the time I attended a support group for kids with cancer when I was around 10 years old or so. My mother ran the program and I tagged along to hang out with some of the kids and play games, talk, etc. Most of the kids had leukemia, and in 1979 that was a particularly bad diagnosis. 

I can clearly recall the joy on their faces when they had a chance to kick a soccer ball around out in the grass. Or play a game of tag. I didn't know it at the time, but I would surmise that a great many responsible adults in their lives were telling them to "take it easy" and "don't run too much." Yep, they got tired pretty quick, but caught their wind and played some more. I guess they were just listening to their bodies.

Thanks for that lesson, Adam.  It's easy to forget the simplest ideas can be the best ones. 

Ya tryin' to make me feel OLD today?  I was in college by then.

Uh-oh, now I've gone and done it. Ticked off the Queen. Just don't say, "Off with his head!"  

Heehee, you know how much I needed that laugh today?  A WHOLE LOT! 
As in today sucked....I haven;t even gotten to pee since my lunch time and it's 5 or 6 hours later. Good thing my days as an ER RN and the bladder capacity of a watermelon are coming into play!!
Thanks!

I hate IT ......I hate it when we fill out multiple forms for issues and find out that it isn't right--again.   hate that I have to change a password in a supersecret system that keeps booting me out and we can't find the right form or get my computer to accept the right form so I can send it to IT and get it fixed.

So, it isn't off with Rob's head.....it's off with IT's head (s)

Sorry to anyone who may be connected with IT in their place of employment.  I am a RN and I do inpatient medical review for an insurance company.  Nuff said.
2011-01-29 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3327640

Veteran
Sydney

Sorry to anyone who may be connected with IT in their place of employment.  I am a RN and I do inpatient medical review for an insurance company.  Nuff said.

My whole career is based around IT and the web, if it is an consolation, I feel the same way!  
2011-01-29 11:21 AM

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Adam...

I'm not sure I can add anything to the responses that have already been written except Wow! 

And Thank You!

And I feel very privileged to be part of your cheering section as you grow stronger, faster, and as you succeed in your goals.
2011-01-29 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3328420

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
michwea - 2011-01-30 1:21 AM Adam...

I'm not sure I can add anything to the responses that have already been written except Wow! 

And Thank You!

And I feel very privileged to be part of your cheering section as you grow stronger, faster, and as you succeed in your goals.

X2 - Great stuff Adam and thanks for being so candid in your sharing.  Good luck.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QueenZipp & Dexter's good cop/ bad cop - FULL Rss Feed  

of 23