BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-05-24 5:56 PM
in reply to: #3287331

Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full
My 17 yo daughter is doing the triathlon with me in a few weeks.  She is a year round swimmer, but has hardly done any biking or running.  She skipped swim practice today and did her first brick.  We biked around 17 miles and then ran/walked a 5k.  It was a lot of fun.

2011-05-24 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Hey TTuna

Wearing bike or tri shorts typically weights less that a padded seat and is not as aerodynamic. Also I find the tight elastic legs helps give my quads some compression and fight off cramping both on the bike and the run. I don't see alot of folks on road bikes going with a padded seat but on mountain bikes and hybrids you see it more often. Another advantage with Tri shorts is you can swim in them as well.

Your hybrid bike likely has fat tires and therefore a higher rolling resistance so you have to expend more energy to go the same speed, however the geometry of a hybrid frame and a road bike frame typically are different putting you in a different position on the bike and therefore using a different combo of muscles. For this reason, I would reccomend training on the road bike to best prepare yourself for the race. If they are the same geometry; however, the extra resistance in training will pay off in the race. But most likely they are different geometries.

Riding in a pace-line or peleton, does help to break the wind and thus the folks inside the peleton have less resitance to fight and thus can go faster using less energy. In a pace line each person will take a 30-45 second pull on the front and then drop back and recover in the draft. Plus riding in a group typically helps you go faster. However, bike handling skills and confidence is a must as you are in very close quarters and can cause a nasty spill if you get out of shape in line. I don't do alot of peleton or paceline riding because I am not comfortable enough with my bike handling skills to ride in a very tight group going very fast.

Hope that helps

Andy
2011-05-24 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
One other point about pelotons.  You can't be in one (legally) in the vast majority of triathons.  Since that's the main purpose of training on my bike, I don't see the need (or the risk) of riding in them.
2011-05-25 7:40 AM

Thanks, that does help. 
2011-05-25 11:16 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Ttuna

I think its great you got your daughter to come out and do the tri with you. I remember doing a 5k and my boys came along and did the kids race and the other did the 5K. I finished 7th overall and won my age group for the first time in over 20 years, but seeing my sons getting their medals was one of the best feelings and my 100x better than getting my own medal. Good luck to both of you and have a blast and remember to catch it on film!

Andy
2011-05-26 6:15 PM

Andy, It is great to see your kids do well.  The funny thing about this triathlon is that she got me to sign up.  She and her twin sister were swimmers on relay teams two years ago.  She decided she wanted to do the whole thing and talked me into it.  She had shinn splints and mono last spring so we postoponed it a year.  She is a great swimmer and will be near the top in the swim segment.

2011-05-26 9:09 PM

Regular
Subject: Resuming training after Tri
I'm closing in on my first tri on 5 June, which is on a Sunday. My next scheduled event is July 10th; when do I start training for that one? Do I rest Monday June 6th then get back to it Tuesday the 7th or is that too soon?
2011-05-26 9:26 PM

my favorite piece of post-race rest advice is: take at minimum one day off per every hour you were racing.  it's just so easy to remember.    although everyone's experience may vary on that one.

my issue right now: tapering!  i'm just so bad at it, as i want to keep simulating race-like experiences up until the bitter end!  so hard for me.

Edited by IronDiva 2011-05-26 9:27 PM
2011-05-26 9:45 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I tend to train straight from one event to the next. After Knoxville, I spent the day driving home and had a ton of stuff to do when I finally got home so I skipped that day, but typically I try to get some sort of a workout in the day after a race to flush out my legs. If I am tapering for a race, I normally will do a reverse taper and match that volume that week as I recover so at the end of that first week I am ready to get back into it. However, I don't taper for every race only my goal races, so if I don't taper, I'll jump right back into training.

But the most important thing is to listen to your body. I recover very well, which allows me to crazy things like back to back races on a weekend or HIMs on back to back weekends or a combo of the two. If you feel sore, dial down the intensity first and then the volume. If you feel run down, give yourself a recovery day or day off. Once you feel back to normal start training for the next race.

Andy
2011-05-26 10:00 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Tapering is tough! You spend all this thing building the volume and intensity then you have to dial down the volume and intensity and you really have to reign yourself in. One of the biggest mistake the pros will tell you they see age groupers make is letting that nervious energy trick them into working way too hard the week leading up to the race. It is a great way to wake up race morning with dead legs. If you want a peak performace on race day, fight of the urge and take it easy until race day and then let that nervious energy work for you vice against you.

Andy
2011-05-27 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
One of the best thing about my job is I work about 2 miles away from Valley Forge National Park. Since I was caught up and had no major crisises and it wasn't raining, I actually had the time to hit the park and run around this National Treasure at lunch today. Other than some hot weather and a few bus loads of kids on a school trip to weave around, it was a great run. Lots and lots of hills and history and a large herd of small deer who pretty much aren't fazed by people at all (I typically get within a few feet before the trot away). I have always been a Revolutionary War history Buff, having grown up living in Lexington, MA, right down the street from the Battle Green and the shot heard round the world, so Valley Forge is a doubley cool place to me.

So this is my Rave Run at this stage of my life. Anyone have their own favorite run they'd like to share.

Andy

Edited by southwestmba 2011-05-27 3:38 PM

2011-05-27 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Valley Forge would be a great place to run.  I'll have to give it a try next time I'm up that way.  My favorite long routine runs are down the portion of the Capital Crescent Trail that runs along the Potomac River into Georgetown, and then downtown Washington DC and the Mall getting to see the great memorials.  An alternate route downtown is Rock Creek Park past the National Zoo, or sometimes through the zoo. I'm getting psyched that in about a month or so, my mileage will be back up to the point I can do these runs on the weekend.
2011-05-27 10:01 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Thought you all might find this interesting. This is Jacqui Gordon's race report from IMTX. Jacqui is a one of my pro teamates on Team Trakkers and a very cool person. Plus how many pro triathletes live in New Jersey. I always find it very inciteful to see the world thru the eyes of a world class athlete.

http://jacquigordon.blogspot.com/2011/05/im-texas-race-report-as-te...

Andy
2011-05-27 10:04 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Thought you all might find this interesting. This is Jacqui Gordon's race report from IMTX. Jacqui is a one of my pro teamates on Team Trakkers and a very cool person. Plus how many pro triathletes live in New Jersey. I always find it very inciteful to see the world thru the eyes of a world class athlete.

http://jacquigordon.blogspot.com/2011/05/im-texas-race-report-as-te...

Andy
2011-05-27 10:53 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Another great race report from another one of my teammates and friends. But she was just helping out someone who was truely amazing. Triathlon is about overcoming obsticles and pushing your limits to a place you never expected. If this doesn't inspire you, I don't know what will.

http://gosonja.com/?p=5993

Andy
2011-05-28 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3521089

Regular
Subject: RE: tapering

Thanks ID, that does make it easy! I know what you mean about the tapering, next week is my recovery week and I'm going to find it very difficult to only train three days. My biggest concern is maintaining good nutritional focus, I'm worried I'm going to gain all my weight back! That's my biggest concern next week, maintain good nutritional habits.

2011-05-28 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3521106

Regular

Thanks beastman...wow, someday I want to be like you :P

With this whole lifestyle thing getting ingrained into my head, I'm getting more attuned to my body and what it's telling me. The other day I made the difficult decision to take an unscheduled day off because body said so. The next day I ran a PR mile (8:12, I'm getting there!) and a PR mph over time (21 ave over 9 miles, likewise getting there!).

2011-05-28 7:56 PM

the only downside to my taper rule is, as you'll soon learn, faster race times = fewer taper days!  grrrr...lol.

today i did an open-water race with nyc swim, to test out my new full-sleeve suit and get re-aclimated to sighting, navigating around other swimmers, etc.  i'm happy to say that i finished the 1.6 miles in 37 minutes, my sighting was spot-on, and i didn't feel like i was over-exerting in any way.  (think i got a little current help, but that's neither here nor there.)  water temp wasn't as cold as advertised, which was great for today but not great in prepping me for high 50s at alcatraz next weekend.  however, i'm not complaining!

i went out and ran about 7 miles after collecting my race bling, and also felt good.  so, i'm feeling extra confident about next weekend!  

2011-05-28 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3522681

Regular
WoW! 4 PR's in one day, how is that possible! Thanks for posting it Andy, that was a nice read. So is there a 'pecking order' in terms of IM's on the way to Kona, some 'must race' races that you have to do in order to get there or is it just a field of professionals and lottery picks? 
2011-05-28 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3522701

Regular

southwestmba - 2011-05-27 10:53 PM Another great race report from another one of my teammates and friends. But she was just helping out someone who was truely amazing. Triathlon is about overcoming obsticles and pushing your limits to a place you never expected. If this doesn't inspire you, I don't know what will. http://gosonja.com/?p=5993Andy

Amazing...biking blind, that freaks me out just thinking about it! The other two feats are amazing but I'd be under constant panic of crashing head long into something or just losing it...and then she goes on to beat the best mark by a blind athlete by over 55 minutes, unbelievable! 'Blicked', ah-hahaha! That's funny Laughing

2011-05-28 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3523278

Regular
IronDiva - 2011-05-28 7:56 PM

the only downside to my taper rule is, as you'll soon learn, faster race times = fewer taper days!  grrrr...lol.

today i did an open-water race with nyc swim, to test out my new full-sleeve suit and get re-aclimated to sighting, navigating around other swimmers, etc.  i'm happy to say that i finished the 1.6 miles in 37 minutes, my sighting was spot-on, and i didn't feel like i was over-exerting in any way.  (think i got a little current help, but that's neither here nor there.)  water temp wasn't as cold as advertised, which was great for today but not great in prepping me for high 50s at alcatraz next weekend.  however, i'm not complaining!

i went out and ran about 7 miles after collecting my race bling, and also felt good.  so, i'm feeling extra confident about next weekend!  

I checked out the course online, it looks to be somewhat challenging ID! There is some serious elevations to be found! Good luck and have fun! Look forward to hearing from you about it...

2011-05-29 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
For Kona the Pros have a different qualifying process that the Age Groupers. They are limiting the pro field to 80 so they have a point system from other WTC IM and IM 70.3 events. Past champions qualify automatically.

For Age Groupers at each WTC IM event and a Few IM 70.3 event a certain number of Kona slots are available distubuted based on the number of entrants. If there are 3 Kona spots in say the M35-39 age the top three finishers are guarenteed a Kona spot. If they have already qualified or decline the spot there is a roll down spot, which will go 4th place, 5th place etc until someone claims the spot. There is a similar qualification process for the IM 70.3 World Championships in Las Vegas. Kona spots don't roll very far, but 70.3 spots actually can roll down quite a ways.

So for Kona you get about 80-100 pros, 1400 Age group qualifiers, 150 lottery winners, and a limited number of Sponsor exemptions (Typically the NBC human interst storiesand some miliatry spots), phyically challenged athletes (they have there own qualification standards and lottery), and about 10 spots get put up for bid on EBAY to raise money for charity. I saw a winning bid of $55,000 for one of them this year.

I got in in 2007 via the lottery. An entry fee $30 (you can also become a member of the Passport club for $50 which improves your odds). I won with a standard entry and had a 0.87% chance of winning and my name got picked. If you win you lottery fee goes toward the standard race entry fee (yes you still have to pay for the race, but trust me it is worth every penny and then some.)

Andy
2011-05-29 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Hey everyone! Here is a Memorial day deal from All3Sports.com:

20% off almost everything At All3sports.com for Memorial Day sale with code NVR4GET. Get to shopping!!

Andy
2011-05-30 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good weekend training for me.  Did my fastest swim this year, followed by a strong 4 mile run at one of my fastest paces this year.  Kind of a weird brick, but I need to get the swim in since work kept me from it on Friday.  Sunday was a day off after partying a little too much with friends.  Today was the best ride of the year.  I'm no Andy when it comes to the bike   but I'm happy with my progress.  I have the DC Tri in 3 weeks.

Alcatraz looks like a really cool triathlon.  That's on my wish list.  One of my favorite runs I did last year was all down the waterfront through Fisherman's Wharf, to the tip of the park right across from Alcatraz.  Escape from Alcatraz looks like crazy fun, and challenging.  Best of luck IronDiva!

2011-05-30 6:19 PM

Now 4 weeks out from my HIM. Did a simulation of it today (took 8 hours, but I broke it up. I don't think I'll be eating lunch at a table for the real thing

Andy, how do you deal with wind/hills during the bike? Do you have a goal pace/time you try to keep, or just keep going to the lowest gear that will let you comfortably spin. It's pretty depressing going 10 mph uphill into gusts, but I'm concerned that pushing it will drain me for later...any thoughts?

Steven

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  

of 14