BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-17 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Subject: RE: kenj's group open!
Ok I have a question today.

I just started (3 or 4 weeks ago) with the beginner 20 week 1/2 Ironman plan. As I've been looking at the plan today it just doesn't look like enough to me. So I started looking at the other 20 week plan. This one could possibly be more then I can handle training hours I'm not sure. But I'm thinking that maybe it would be better to go with the aggressive plan and even if I end up missing some of the workouts or shortening them I will still be ahead of the game. Input from those of you who have used them or just trained for a 70.3?

2011-04-18 4:48 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
Strength training...I don't. As mentioned before, time is my biggest obstacle & it best spent doing run & bike ( sometimes swim). I think sport specificity is important & to improve in running, you need to run. When I was more interested in general fitness a few years ago, I did have a resistance routine. Just depends on what my focus is. If I had more time, I probably would include some, but only in off season.
2011-04-18 5:04 AM
in reply to: #3451508

User image

Expert
Canada
julta - 2011-04-17 9:53 PMOk I have a question today. I just started (3 or 4 weeks ago) with the beginner 20 week 1/2 Ironman plan. As I've been looking at the plan today it just doesn't look like enough to me. So I started looking at the other 20 week plan. This one could possibly be more then I can handle training hours I'm not sure. But I'm thinking that maybe it would be better to go with the aggressive plan and even if I end up missing some of the workouts or shortening them I will still be ahead of the game. Input from those of you who have used them or just trained for a 70.3?
I have not done either of these plans, but do have some understanding of training.

I think you could obviously change tweak the plan to suit your own uses, depending on your weaknesses, time, etc.

Question is, what to change...

2011-04-18 6:39 AM

New user

You've lost 100 lbs.  I NEED to lose 100 lbs.  I would like to join your group.  I live and work in Broken Arrow, OK, and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired, and I have a DR's okay.  Now, walking/running is very difficult right now but I enjoy the bike and have access to a pool.

2011-04-18 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3451874

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
parakeeter - 2011-04-18 7:39 AM

You've lost 100 lbs.  I NEED to lose 100 lbs.  I would like to join your group.  I live and work in Broken Arrow, OK, and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired, and I have a DR's okay.  Now, walking/running is very difficult right now but I enjoy the bike and have access to a pool.

If you would like to join us, please post a bio and join the conversation!
2011-04-18 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3451508

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
julta - 2011-04-17 8:53 PM Ok I have a question today. I just started (3 or 4 weeks ago) with the beginner 20 week 1/2 Ironman plan. As I've been looking at the plan today it just doesn't look like enough to me. So I started looking at the other 20 week plan. This one could possibly be more then I can handle training hours I'm not sure. But I'm thinking that maybe it would be better to go with the aggressive plan and even if I end up missing some of the workouts or shortening them I will still be ahead of the game. Input from those of you who have used them or just trained for a 70.3?

I have done the more agressive plan a couple of times, I think it is also what I have now.  The first time I did it, I wasn't at the level for some of the workouts, but used the times as a guideline and did what I could of the workout description.  My issue with a lot of the plans here is I think they could use some additional running, at least for me.  But, I think you are better off with the more aggressive plan, even if you miss some (we all have days that life gets in the way) as long as you can physically handle the volume.  If you listen to your body you will be ok.

ETA: There is also the custom plan creator, I believe you need to be at least a bronze member to use.  I don't have a lot of advice on this as I have not used it yet, but I think it may offer more flexibility in creating a plan that fits your schedule.

Edited by kenj 2011-04-18 8:01 AM

2011-04-18 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Dont give up.  I lost 200 pounds since 2005.   It's all doable. 

Some strength training is good even if its just some planks, push-ups, crunches, etc., for 15 or 20 mins a couple of times a week.  The core is the center of our power.  It helps when it is in good shape. Weights, I use low weight, high reps to avoid building heavy body mass above the waist. 

You all have a great week.  testing week for me for power improvements on the bike.

2011-04-18 9:10 AM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

Thanks all for the congrats!

Strength Training:  I have been taking a 40 min. Core class at the gym.  I have a Billy Blanks Ab Boot Camp DVD I might try out.  I haven't been able to find much time for ST, but I really want to get some more in.  After being overweight for so long and then having a c-section 2 years ago - I have been focusing first on my abs.  Nothing like having a baby to destroy your abs.  I was shocked - but I have come a long way.  I think I might just start doing 15 mins. a few times a week in the evening b/f I sit down to watch TV.

I would like to throw a question out there.  I am curious about nutrition.  Do you eat what you want?  Stick to a healthy diet of balanced carbs and proteins?  Do you find what you eat affects your training?

I am trying to find a balance between eating to fuel my workouts and eating little enough to lose weight.  Maybe I am nuts for trying both at the same time.  If I am hungry, I just do NOT get in the quality of training that I do when I am fueled up.  I think making sure everything I eat is nutritionally dense is going to help me.  Eating any kind of junk seems to drag me down... but sometimes I just WANT a little something something that isn't healthful.

Edited by scraver 2011-04-18 9:10 AM
2011-04-18 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3452191

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
scraver - 2011-04-18 9:10 AM

Thanks all for the congrats!

Strength Training:  I have been taking a 40 min. Core class at the gym.  I have a Billy Blanks Ab Boot Camp DVD I might try out.  I haven't been able to find much time for ST, but I really want to get some more in.  After being overweight for so long and then having a c-section 2 years ago - I have been focusing first on my abs.  Nothing like having a baby to destroy your abs.  I was shocked - but I have come a long way.  I think I might just start doing 15 mins. a few times a week in the evening b/f I sit down to watch TV.

I would like to throw a question out there.  I am curious about nutrition.  Do you eat what you want?  Stick to a healthy diet of balanced carbs and proteins?  Do you find what you eat affects your training?

I am trying to find a balance between eating to fuel my workouts and eating little enough to lose weight.  Maybe I am nuts for trying both at the same time.  If I am hungry, I just do NOT get in the quality of training that I do when I am fueled up.  I think making sure everything I eat is nutritionally dense is going to help me.  Eating any kind of junk seems to drag me down... but sometimes I just WANT a little something something that isn't healthful.

I feel your pain.  It is a huge issue when losing weight and exercising.  The goal is to avoid the starvation mode by eating too little.  I had the same problem during my 200 pound weight loss.  I was riding thousands of miles a year and later working out for triathlons but trying to keep my food intake to about 1800 cals a day.  I seriously slowed the rate of weight loss by eating too little.  I know it is counter intuitive to eat more to lose weight but we have to. Otherwise our bodies react as if we are not getting enough food and they hold onto as many cals as they can.  It is trying to survive the long winter of scarce rations as it did in the cave times. So the trick is to convince it we have enough food so the metabolism stays high. 

Have you tried LiveSTRONG.com?  Great web site.  You set up a profile, estimate your base metabolism aand then tell it if you are losing weight or maintaining.  It will then tell you how many cals to eat a day.  Then add in your fitness exercise each day and for how long and it will add those burned calories in and give you a total you can eat and still lose weight.  I still log my food every day even though I'm at goal and in 33 inch jeans.  

Also, I too am getting better at fueling during exercise that lasts 3 hours or more especially.   It makes for a better workout. 

2011-04-18 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

On the nutrition question and losing weight.  I think eating well is something most of us struggle with.  I try to eat healthy 75% of the time (probably should be a higher %, but I enjoy an occasional pizza and beer). I try to make sure I am consciously eating, I have a hard time with snacking and not even realizing it in the afternoons. I don't log my food, but if I was trying to seriously lose weight  I would and have in the past.  It really allows you to see how all those little snacks add up.  I agree with Ice livestrong.com is a great site, they have come along way in making it easy to log your foods.  Also like Iceman said, if I don't get enought calories my body will hold onto it and I won't get any benefits - fine line indeed!

BT also has a great forum for those focusing on losing weight (I believe it is toward the bottom of the main forum page). It may be a good way to get extra motivation.

2011-04-18 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3452000

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

kenj - 2011-04-18 7:59 AM
julta - 2011-04-17 8:53 PM Ok I have a question today. I just started (3 or 4 weeks ago) with the beginner 20 week 1/2 Ironman plan. As I've been looking at the plan today it just doesn't look like enough to me. So I started looking at the other 20 week plan. This one could possibly be more then I can handle training hours I'm not sure. But I'm thinking that maybe it would be better to go with the aggressive plan and even if I end up missing some of the workouts or shortening them I will still be ahead of the game. Input from those of you who have used them or just trained for a 70.3?

I have done the more agressive plan a couple of times, I think it is also what I have now.  The first time I did it, I wasn't at the level for some of the workouts, but used the times as a guideline and did what I could of the workout description.  My issue with a lot of the plans here is I think they could use some additional running, at least for me.  But, I think you are better off with the more aggressive plan, even if you miss some (we all have days that life gets in the way) as long as you can physically handle the volume.  If you listen to your body you will be ok.

ETA: There is also the custom plan creator, I believe you need to be at least a bronze member to use.  I don't have a lot of advice on this as I have not used it yet, but I think it may offer more flexibility in creating a plan that fits your schedule.

Ken - I agree I don't think any of the plans I have done, have enough run volume. Running is my worst of the three sports, so I am trying to work that the most. I will reevaluate my run volume after my HM in 2 weeks.

As for following a plan - I am really bad at it. I try to look at the weekly volume and then do my own thing. Probably not the best strategy, but it is definately more flexible. Since I am still working on my base and still very much a newbie I am hoping that this is ok.

It is in the low 40's and raining here today - so I may have to do my 7 mile run on a treadmill - ughh!

2011-04-18 9:58 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Here are my thoughts on run training:

First and foremost when starting to run for the first time or even after an extended layoff, it is important to start out slow and careful.  This is where most new runners fail and/or get frustrated.  When you are running it is important that most of it is done at a conversational pace.  Which means if you are or were running with someone you could carry on a conversation in coherent sentences.  If this means mixing in some walking, so be it, but usually it just means slowing the running down some.  After a few weeks, throwing in some short strides (quicker running) of 20 to 30 seconds is ok, but only a couple the first week then maybe build to 5 or 6 over the course of several weeks.  Only add the strides to one run a week at this point, and it shouldn't be all out, maybe 10k pace or a little quicker.  Over time, your conversational pace will get faster as you build fitness.

If you are training with a HR monitor, you should be training mostly in zone 1 or the lower part of zone 2 for 95% of your running.  The part that is above that is when you are doing the strides or hitting the hills, which will be discussed a bit further down. 

Frequency is, for me, important to reaching my running potential.  I run best when I am consistently running 4 to 6 days per week.  One long run, a couple medium runs, a hilly run or intervals, and a couple of shorter recovery runs.  The length of these depends on where we are in our training and what race distance we are training for.  The long run should be about 15% - 20% of your overall training volume.  Too many magazines are selling based off of promoting minimal training volumes.  While this may sell magazines, and even work for some people, many wind up injured or disappointed in their goal race results.

How do you add frequency?  If you are currently running 3 times a week for a total of 10 - 12 miles. You are probably running a couple times a week at 3 - 3.5 miles and maybe a 5 miler on the weekend.  The first week of increasing frequency, add one run of maybe 2 miles.  Increase that additional run a half mile or so, every week until it is up to the distance of the other shorter run, then try and add another using the same method.  Within a couple of months you will have taken your weekly mileage from 10 - 12 up to 18 - 20 miles without running any longer on any given day.  Then you can start to build the distance of your weekly long run, if you are so inclined to want to do that.  What the frequency does is improve your running efficiency.   

How can I add additional runs when we have already indicated that time is our biggest limiter?  Here is a couple of methods I have used to add additional runs while fitting in the biking and swimming.  A couple of you have mentioned attending spin classes.  I will assume that these are at a gym with treadmills available, grab a mile or 2 on the treadmill before or after spin class while you are already dressed for a work out.  Same with the bike, take a bike ride or 2 a week and add a short brick run afterwards.  Even if you are only able to find the means to adding 1 run a week, you will increase your running efficiency.

Hills should be a part of one of your runs every other week or so.  Running hills help build running endurance and efficiency.  I prefer to just find a hilly route and run that, but others prefer to warm up and do some hill repeats on the same hill, walking or easy jog back down.  Running hills is one place that you can let the effort drift up into a non-conversational pace or Z3 if you are using a HR monitor, but it still should be a controlled effort and not an all out sprint.  Full recovery is important as well.

A couple of key points from this:

Run often and run mostly slow.

Be patient!  Running is the most common sport for triathletes (and runners obviously) to get hurt.  Most injuries are from over doing it too quickly.  It took me a couple of years, plus a slow steady increase to get where I could run the volume I feel I need to.  10% is considered the ceiling for adding mileage per week, that means if you are running 10 miles per week, 11 is it for the following week.  Some would even go as far as saying that you should run at the same volume for a couple of weeks before increasing it again.  I beleive you can stretch this a very tiny bit if you are doing it by adding an additional run, but not if you are adding distance to an existing run.

Don't get frustrated!  Easy to say, not easy to do.  Again, it takes time!

Shoes!  I know as has been mentioned that this sport can be expensive, but others have provided some advice on how to save some $$$.  Running shoes is one place you don't want to cut corners.  Find a running store that can analyze your running mechanics and put you in a shoe that is appropriate.  Odds are it is going to be ugly and something you wouldn't buy if just picking a model off the shelf, but considering the other stuff we wear, shoes are the least of our worries!  If you find a pair that works and want to save some money on the next pair, you can usually save some buying on line.    

This is part of what has worked for me.  Maybe it will help you, or maybe someone else in the group has done something different they would like to share that has worked for them. 

Let's discuss!      
2011-04-18 10:23 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I have been waiting for a couple of people that indicated they wanted to join us to post thier bio's then close this up, but if they aren't I want to keep it open to allow a couple of others. 

I think we have a very well balanced group training for everything from our first race up to and including 3 training for their IM!  Should offer a lot of diversity in the discussions!!
2011-04-18 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Food is a friend, not a foe.   Food is fuel.  We just have to be smart about it.  You can do it! 
2011-04-18 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Just thought I’d pass this on.

I’ve been using this app (runkeeper) since February to track my running and biking. I think most of you have a garmin but this app works pretty well with my droid phone. I still use my cheap bike computer for feedback on speed when I’m on the bike but this app is nice since I don’t have to write down my number after a ride. You can also log in online and check your stats out. It gives a lot of info on the graphs, map of your route and split times – it’s pretty cool.

Oh and best of all it’s FREE!

http://runkeeper.com/

Edited by acv 2011-04-18 10:50 AM
2011-04-18 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3452326

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

kenj - 2011-04-18 10:58 AM Here are my thoughts on run training:

First and foremost when starting to run for the first time or even after an extended layoff, it is important to start out slow and careful.  This is where most new runners fail and/or get frustrated.  When you are running it is important that most of it is done at a conversational pace.  Which means if you are or were running with someone you could carry on a conversation in coherent sentences.  If this means mixing in some walking, so be it, but usually it just means slowing the running down some.  After a few weeks, throwing in some short strides (quicker running) of 20 to 30 seconds is ok, but only a couple the first week then maybe build to 5 or 6 over the course of several weeks.  Only add the strides to one run a week at this point, and it shouldn't be all out, maybe 10k pace or a little quicker.  Over time, your conversational pace will get faster as you build fitness.

If you are training with a HR monitor, you should be training mostly in zone 1 or the lower part of zone 2 for 95% of your running.  The part that is above that is when you are doing the strides or hitting the hills, which will be discussed a bit further down. 

Frequency is, for me, important to reaching my running potential.  I run best when I am consistently running 4 to 6 days per week.  One long run, a couple medium runs, a hilly run or intervals, and a couple of shorter recovery runs.  The length of these depends on where we are in our training and what race distance we are training for.  The long run should be about 15% - 20% of your overall training volume.  Too many magazines are selling based off of promoting minimal training volumes.  While this may sell magazines, and even work for some people, many wind up injured or disappointed in their goal race results.

How do you add frequency?  If you are currently running 3 times a week for a total of 10 - 12 miles. You are probably running a couple times a week at 3 - 3.5 miles and maybe a 5 miler on the weekend.  The first week of increasing frequency, add one run of maybe 2 miles.  Increase that additional run a half mile or so, every week until it is up to the distance of the other shorter run, then try and add another using the same method.  Within a couple of months you will have taken your weekly mileage from 10 - 12 up to 18 - 20 miles without running any longer on any given day.  Then you can start to build the distance of your weekly long run, if you are so inclined to want to do that.  What the frequency does is improve your running efficiency.   

How can I add additional runs when we have already indicated that time is our biggest limiter?  Here is a couple of methods I have used to add additional runs while fitting in the biking and swimming.  A couple of you have mentioned attending spin classes.  I will assume that these are at a gym with treadmills available, grab a mile or 2 on the treadmill before or after spin class while you are already dressed for a work out.  Same with the bike, take a bike ride or 2 a week and add a short brick run afterwards.  Even if you are only able to find the means to adding 1 run a week, you will increase your running efficiency.

Hills should be a part of one of your runs every other week or so.  Running hills help build running endurance and efficiency.  I prefer to just find a hilly route and run that, but others prefer to warm up and do some hill repeats on the same hill, walking or easy jog back down.  Running hills is one place that you can let the effort drift up into a non-conversational pace or Z3 if you are using a HR monitor, but it still should be a controlled effort and not an all out sprint.  Full recovery is important as well.

A couple of key points from this:

Run often and run mostly slow.

Be patient!  Running is the most common sport for triathletes (and runners obviously) to get hurt.  Most injuries are from over doing it too quickly.  It took me a couple of years, plus a slow steady increase to get where I could run the volume I feel I need to.  10% is considered the ceiling for adding mileage per week, that means if you are running 10 miles per week, 11 is it for the following week.  Some would even go as far as saying that you should run at the same volume for a couple of weeks before increasing it again.  I beleive you can stretch this a very tiny bit if you are doing it by adding an additional run, but not if you are adding distance to an existing run.

Don't get frustrated!  Easy to say, not easy to do.  Again, it takes time!

Shoes!  I know as has been mentioned that this sport can be expensive, but others have provided some advice on how to save some $$$.  Running shoes is one place you don't want to cut corners.  Find a running store that can analyze your running mechanics and put you in a shoe that is appropriate.  Odds are it is going to be ugly and something you wouldn't buy if just picking a model off the shelf, but considering the other stuff we wear, shoes are the least of our worries!  If you find a pair that works and want to save some money on the next pair, you can usually save some buying on line.    

This is part of what has worked for me.  Maybe it will help you, or maybe someone else in the group has done something different they would like to share that has worked for them. 

Let's discuss!      

Wow Ken thats about the best advice I've ever heard on running and volume!

I know for me being consistent is the best and I'm just starting to get into a groove with my running where I feel like I could do a little more. This year I think I did a little too much when I started back up again and my legs/joints weren't very happy.

2011-04-18 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3452191

User image

Regular
Maryland

Sherry, I've been following the Weight Watchers program since last July and I've found that planning my meals for the day before I eat them has been effective for me.  If you've got food at the ready, you have less chance to eat junk when you're hungry.  I also try to eat consistently throughout the day: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner.  I have protein and produce everytime I eat and go easy on the carbs.  I'd say I stick to my plan 80% of the time, but it keeps me in line and gives me a structure to return to when I fall off the wagon. 

A few blogs I've found helpful:

bethsjourney.com

skinnytaste.com

I think livestrong and sparkpeople are also good sites.

2011-04-18 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3452523

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-04-18 12:03 PM

Sherry, I've been following the Weight Watchers program since last July and I've found that planning my meals for the day before I eat them has been effective for me.  If you've got food at the ready, you have less chance to eat junk when you're hungry.  I also try to eat consistently throughout the day: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner.  I have protein and produce everytime I eat and go easy on the carbs.  I'd say I stick to my plan 80% of the time, but it keeps me in line and gives me a structure to return to when I fall off the wagon. 

A few blogs I've found helpful:

bethsjourney.com

skinnytaste.com

I think livestrong and sparkpeople are also good sites.

I find it very difficult to focus on dieting when I am training for longer events.  Being fueled for the workouts and refueling afterwards is too important to worry about the calorie count.  That is probably why most coaches recommend losing any weight during the pre-season or late in the off season.  I still usually lose weight just due to volume and eating healthier.  A couple of tips that may allow you to lose some weight while still getting in solid training sessions. 

First, make sure you are properly fueled, but not over fueled.  For instance, anything less than an hour and I drink water rather than a calorie ladened sports drink.  Then refuel afterwards, which is usually breakfast after my morning workouts or dinner after my evening workouts. 

Use your rest days or your easier days for the days you look for a calorie deficit. 

As far as tracking calories consumed versus calories burned, I like the livestrong site the best, but I haven't tried too many.  Just remember, most websites and heart rate monitors way over estimate calorie burn.  Some as much as 100%!  So be conservative in estimating how many calories you take in. 

Vivian, I like your suggestion on planning your meals ahead of time.  If you haven't planned your meals out, you are more likely to react in the wrong way!
2011-04-18 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Ken - your advice on running is one of the best summaries I have read. I have followed this same advice preparing for my Half Mary in 2 weeks. 6 months ago, I was running about 8-10 miles a week. Slowly increased my runs to 4x a week and then started to add distance to one or two of the runs per week and never more than 10% of weekly volume. Last week was my longest week at 25miles. I will get in 3 runs over 10 miles before my race. Some may say that I added on to slowly, but I have not gotten injured and that is what is important to me.

I do have a question though. I am a little lost on what I should do after my race. I will have sprint tris in June & July and then my first oly in Aug. How much should I be running for these shorter distances? I would like to better my 5k times and I know that everyone says run more, but how much is that? I would also like to start adding some interval/speed work as well. Any thoughts from the group?

2011-04-18 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Ken really great advice on the running! I too find not enought running on the plans. And the slower you are the worse it is...When the longest run is only 1:30 and it takes you 2:30 to complete a 1/2 marathon, well I'm not going to be very prepared for that 70.3. I'm feeling really good about my running right now after the 1/2 marathon training. Still not fast, but getting faster and feeling stronger so I really need to keep the focus on my running. I think I will go ahead and change to the more aggresive plan too. Thanks for the advice all.

2011-04-18 2:49 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
If you have room for another I would like to join and will post my bio once I get the okie dokie Laughing

2011-04-18 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3453158

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
KeriKadi - 2011-04-18 3:49 PM If you have room for another I would like to join and will post my bio once I get the okie dokie Laughing

okie dokie!  Post your bio! It would be great if you would join us!
2011-04-18 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3453175

User image

Pro
Houston

Name: Keri

Story: My first love was lifting and I would throw in cardio as a necessary evil. I became a certified personal trainer in 1997 and trained clients until the birth of #4 in 2003. Continued to visit the gym on a quazi regular basis and worked out through pregnancy #5 (2007). September 2008 brought Hurricane Ike and we lost half of our home in NW Houston. This caused the younger 3 children and myself to be displaced first in a hotel and then with friends. The emotional eating began. A couple of months and 15 pounds later I decided enough was enough and realized as I was approaching 40 it was time to do something different. I joined a running group through my YMCA February 2009, a few sessions in somebody mentioned a women's triathlon and my ears perked. I went home, looked it up and signed up. I had never swam a lap and didn't own a bike. I thought I could swim (growing up in AZ) but after one length of the pool the hard reality is I play a mean marco polo.

My first tri was Tri Girl a 200/8/2 super sprint on Mother's Day 2009. I did 5 sprints my first year, added an Oly and HIM my second year and am currently training for year #3.

Family Status: Married to another BTer - KenOtt with 5 kids, the boys are 18 & 16, girls are 8, 7 & 4.

Current Training: Had an Oly 2 weeks ago that did not go well, my first DNF. I was trained and very excited but ended up getting sick a couple of days before. Had the bright idea to tough it out which wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done. Ended up getting pulled off the course around mile 4.5 on the run. I am back to training but not the extent of my plan right now as I don't feel 100% just yet. I signed up for a sprint race in May to help me get over my disastrous Oly. 

2011 Races: Sprints in May & August, Oly in September and HIM in November. Will probably toss in some family relays in June & July where I will be the swimmer.

Weight Loss: 5 pounds would be nice but not a major focus of mine. I am 5'9" and race Athena.

What makes me a good mentee: I check in often, keep my logs up to date, check on my fellow MGers and leave inspires. Richard and I were in the same MG last go round Smile

2011-04-18 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3453279

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
KeriKadi - 2011-04-18 4:37 PM

Name: Keri

Story: My first love was lifting and I would throw in cardio as a necessary evil. I became a certified personal trainer in 1997 and trained clients until the birth of #4 in 2003. Continued to visit the gym on a quazi regular basis and worked out through pregnancy #5 (2007). September 2008 brought Hurricane Ike and we lost half of our home in NW Houston. This caused the younger 3 children and myself to be displaced first in a hotel and then with friends. The emotional eating began. A couple of months and 15 pounds later I decided enough was enough and realized as I was approaching 40 it was time to do something different. I joined a running group through my YMCA February 2009, a few sessions in somebody mentioned a women's triathlon and my ears perked. I went home, looked it up and signed up. I had never swam a lap and didn't own a bike. I thought I could swim (growing up in AZ) but after one length of the pool the hard reality is I play a mean marco polo.

My first tri was Tri Girl a 200/8/2 super sprint on Mother's Day 2009. I did 5 sprints my first year, added an Oly and HIM my second year and am currently training for year #3.

Family Status: Married to another BTer - KenOtt with 5 kids, the boys are 18 & 16, girls are 8, 7 & 4.

Current Training: Had an Oly 2 weeks ago that did not go well, my first DNF. I was trained and very excited but ended up getting sick a couple of days before. Had the bright idea to tough it out which wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done. Ended up getting pulled off the course around mile 4.5 on the run. I am back to training but not the extent of my plan right now as I don't feel 100% just yet. I signed up for a sprint race in May to help me get over my disastrous Oly. 

2011 Races: Sprints in May & August, Oly in September and HIM in November. Will probably toss in some family relays in June & July where I will be the swimmer.

Weight Loss: 5 pounds would be nice but not a major focus of mine. I am 5'9" and race Athena.

What makes me a good mentee: I check in often, keep my logs up to date, check on my fellow MGers and leave inspires. Richard and I were in the same MG last go round Smile

Welcome top the group Keri! 

Too bad about your recent race, but there is nothing you can do about getting sick.  From what I have seen there have been some of the colds and flu bugs going around this spring have been real dousies! 
2011-04-18 4:09 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Here is the group as of right now that have posted bio's and have committed to the group.

kenj - Ken
kath2163 - Kathleen
julta - Julie
trout - Steve
robingrey_260 - Robin
marvintpa - Tom
viyoung- Vivian
amschrod - Anthony
gogogo - Richard
arrogant _bastard - Jon
scraver - Sherri
acv - Adam
IcemanScott - Scott
KeriKadi - Keri

This gives us 13 (please double check for me to make sure I didn't miss anyone!), plus a couple of others that asked to join but haven't posted yet so I think I will close the group.  If the others come back and post a bio, that is fine as we can handle a couple more without any problem.  I am glad to see that so far this is a very active group.  That makes my job easier!

Make sure you have added everyone to your friends list, I will work on building a table to post on your blog with quick links over the next day or so, but computer stuff like that takes me longer than most!

Edited by kenj 2011-04-18 4:12 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72