Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-05-09 3:41 AM
in reply to: #3434844

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL

Congrats to Dana and Adam for finishing your races.

Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. I start to write something and then just realize it's me whining about something that I really don't need to whine about. It's been another tough week for me and my training. While the swim is starting to come together with my new coach, the bike still remains troublesome. I did my first bike on roads this week, and it was far different from the trails I've been used to. I live in the part of Maryland near I 95 halfway between DC and Baltimore, so there aren't a lot of good roads to really bike on, and I have to drive a bit to get to a decent trail. Anyway, riding on the road was pretty scary, especially with the crazy Maryland drivers. Today I have an hour session on the trainer, and I don't really see how much fun that is going to be. One day of bad eating this week totally negated last week's hard work for weight loss, so I'm kind of bummed about that. On top of that, my daughter has started waking up at 6:00 with the sun, so if I am now waking up around 4:00 or 4:15 so I can get my workout in and be showered/dressed/fed by 6 to take care of her.

That's my whining for the week. I hope everyone else is faring better. If anyone has suggestions on how to make a trainer session more interesting (I can't turn the TV on for noise reasons) please let me know.

2011-05-09 7:15 AM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Thanks, johnnyfulltime!

I don't use a trainer, but I'm guessing you are listening to music? How about listening to stories or lectures? Or, face your bike towards the window, put up a bird feeder, & watch the birds? Or is it possible to set your trainer up outside?

Just some thoughts. I can't imagine getting up at that hour to work out, so kudos to you!
2011-05-09 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Hi Dana:
About the chip issue—I’m sure they’ll get it sorted out. It happens sometimes.

A couple of technical things first: I think maybe there’s a fit issue with your bike. The fact that your hips, and especially one hip in particular, bothers you so much while biking is a concern to me. You might want to think about getting your bike fitted or re-fitted when you get your new pedals. I think clipless pedals will make a big difference in your run as well as your bike. I think it’s a safe bet that your running issues were a carryover from the problems you were having on the bike.

As far as clipless pedals go, there are many varieties and they all have their plusses and minuses. I don’t think there’s one that’s clearly better. Lots of people like Speedplay pedals because unlike most road pedals, you can clip in regardless of the orientation of the pedal. Others, like shimano, Time, Look, etc, have to be facing a certain way. Once you’ve been riding for a while, it becomes easy to “feel” the pedal with your toe and flip it over before you clip in, but it is a learning curve that you won’t have with Speedplay. Other than that, make sure the shoes you get are comfortable. Road shoes are generally more adjustable and there’s a much wider variety than tri shoes. Tri shoes are designed to get into and out of quickly.

Back to the race: sometimes it just isn’t your day. I’ve had races where I’ve enjoyed every minute and others where I spent the entire race, from starting gun to finish line, wishing it was over.

As far as being last goes: whether you’re FOP or BOP, the one thing you can’t control is who shows up. You can have the race of your life against a fast field and end up last, or you can have a day from he!! on a day when everyone else suffers worse and end up doing well. Focus on how you performed against your goals and don’t worry so much about the standings. I know that’s not always an easy thing to do, but it’s just simply something that you don’t have a lot of control over.

Focus on the positives. You’re still new at this. Speed is icing on the cake, and your cake just came out of the oven.

2011-05-09 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3488591

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
johnnyfulltime - 2011-05-09 3:41 AM

Congrats to Dana and Adam for finishing your races.

Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. I start to write something and then just realize it's me whining about something that I really don't need to whine about. It's been another tough week for me and my training. While the swim is starting to come together with my new coach, the bike still remains troublesome. I did my first bike on roads this week, and it was far different from the trails I've been used to. I live in the part of Maryland near I 95 halfway between DC and Baltimore, so there aren't a lot of good roads to really bike on, and I have to drive a bit to get to a decent trail. Anyway, riding on the road was pretty scary, especially with the crazy Maryland drivers. Today I have an hour session on the trainer, and I don't really see how much fun that is going to be. One day of bad eating this week totally negated last week's hard work for weight loss, so I'm kind of bummed about that. On top of that, my daughter has started waking up at 6:00 with the sun, so if I am now waking up around 4:00 or 4:15 so I can get my workout in and be showered/dressed/fed by 6 to take care of her.

That's my whining for the week. I hope everyone else is faring better. If anyone has suggestions on how to make a trainer session more interesting (I can't turn the TV on for noise reasons) please let me know.

Hi Johnny:
If you can’t turn on a tv, music is probably your next best bet. If you have an iPod or an iPhone, there’s a series of podcasts called “The Sufferfest” that you can subscribe to that are made for trainer workouts. They’re very challenging, with a great soundtrack and video footage of old cycling races.
Other ideas: on most tv’s, you can turn the sound off and turn on the closed-captioning, so you’ll at least be able to follow the dialog. It’s not the most exciting way to watch tv, but it beats trying to lip-read. You can also try getting an inexpensive pair of cordless headphones.
I heard a story years ago about a cycling coach who used to train his Tour de France riders by making them ride their trainers in a room all alone with no music or anything for six hours while facing directly at a brick wall. He felt that it increased their mental toughness and concentration. I think I would prefer to be waterboarded.

As for the other stuff, like I always say, sometimes life intervenes. You make do as best you can and when you can better put 100% of your focus back onto tris, you do it. I was looking for something more inspirational to say, but I don’t think I could do better than your signature line.
2011-05-09 10:02 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Hi Sujith:

“Swim Golf”, is a game you play with yourself where, for a particular interval, in your case, 50 yards, you count the seconds and the number of strokes it takes, and then try to beat that number on successive intervals.

For example:
I can probably swim 50y in 45 seconds. Say it takes me 30 strokes (a stroke is defined as each time your left hand hits the water) to swim those 50 yards. So 45 seconds+ 30 strokes = a “par” of 75. So for each of the next intervals, I want to try to lower that par number, either by finishing the interval faster or by using fewer strokes to complete the distance.

Does that help?
2011-05-09 10:35 AM

Thanks for the welcome everyone!  Congrats to everyone on your races and successful training!!I'm starting to think that time is moving way too fast these days, especially when I realized that my next tri with my first OWS is in six weeks!   Is it that as I get older that time is passing much quickly than it used to, or am I just not paying attention? 

I ran the LI HM last weekend, a week after my first tri, and with limited training.  I finished, but it took me almost 3 1/2 hours, and my time was 6 minutes slower than my first HM last October. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty because I've been having some serious foot pain for awhile, despite new orthodics, sneakers, and trips to my podiatrist.  It's so strange; one pain will go away but then gets replaced with another.  It's a little discouraging, so I may retire from the HM distance; still have to think about it. 

After the HM, I had to travel again for work, which throws a wrench into both my training and eating as well as I should.  I needed a metal break from training, so I didn't do anything last week.  Now that I am working from home this week, I want to capitalize on the time I have to get some serious training in.  I started taking swim lessons on Sat, which should help my form, and get me more efficient for the ows in my next tri, and my hubby and I decided to do a quick bike ride in the park before we went out to dinner, being that the weather is FINALLY nice in NY.  Mother's Day was crazy, so I didn't do much.  This morning I went for a bike ride and rode more than 12 miles today, which took me about an hour. 

I have to say, I love to ride, but it's tough to get back on the bike after minimal training during the winter.  My legs were so tired after the first 15 minutes this morning, I had to really push myself to stay moving.  I don't have any special pedals (and I use a hybrid bike for my training and races so I'm upright during my rides), so this may be a stupid question, but for everyone that has used them, how do they help you ride (do they make you faster or more comfortable to push through), and how did you get comfortable with them when you started to use them.  I'm so worried about not being able to get out of the pedals should I have a problem, and how that would work in both transitions for a newbie like me with, let's face it, little coordination, and is slow. 

Tomorrow I'm working  with my trainer with my running, so maybe with better running form, my feet will hurt less, and I can get back into thinking about a HM again.  Next week my husband and I are off to New Orleans for vacation, so training will be limited again.  We are going to participate in a 5K while we're there, so we're looking forward to that.  We were deciding to do a 5K or a 6 mile "barathon" where  you have to run to 6 bars and drink a pint of beer at each bar before you could go to the next "checkpoint".  As much I as enjoy running and beer, I don't think putting them together would be the best choice for me.  Wink  My husband wants to run a race in every state, so that's state number 4.  We've got a long way to go. 

-Kelly

2011-05-09 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry for the long entry:

I had an interesting day at the races on Sunday. I entered this duathlon kind of as an afterthought since it was Mothers Day and I thought we would be going out to my in-laws. I think I mentioned that I have a friend who’s new to this sport who I’ve been training with and sort of coaching. I had suggested that we do the race just so that he could practice a multisport race before he does his first tri in June. The race had three distances and, since we were just doing it for practice, we chose the “sprint” distance: 2 mile run/10 mile bike/2 mile run.

The run was pretty good. As always in a duathlon, the field went out really fast, so he and I basically just tried to stay in contact with the front of the pack and keep them in sight. Duathlons really favor fast runners, which I am not.

I finished the first run in 15:41 or just under an 8-minute mile, which is about as fast as it is possible for me to run. I found a really good pace rabbit—this girl who was cruising along at the pace I wanted to be at and I just stayed in her shadow and she pulled me along. That’s a good tip for racing—find someone who’s running just a little bit faster than you and try to hang with them.

I got on the bike feeling pretty good. I didn’t think there were many people in front of me. I rode out and made the first of three laps in good time. The course was fairly crowded. It was 9am by this time, which is usually the time when I try to be done with my bike workouts for the day, since most parks and bike trails become really crowded with recreational cyclists. When I got to the top of the big hill, there was a guy on a road bike who was looking down at his water bottle and weaving around a little. I had room to pass on his left, between him and an older woman on a cruiser in the recreational bike lane. I started my pass and yelled “on your left” at him several times, but as I approached, it was clear that he wasn’t paying attention, still focused on his water bottles. He continued to drift into my lane. I was in my aerobars and just as I switched to my “horns” and started to slow down, he swerved sharply into my lane. I slammed on the breaks and went over the handlebars onto the asphalt. I got up, and did a quick damage assessment. Head was ok. Knee was bloody but felt structurally ok. My hand hurt and I felt some road rash on my shoulder. Bike seemed ok, although I didn’t have time to check for scratches. I got back on the bike and decided to see how I felt. My knee definitely hurt, and my right hand was killing me, but I was able to ride and shift and brake ok. I got back up to speed and completed the second lap. As I passed a girl I knew, she looked over and yelled, “You’re bleeding!” I thought she was referring to my knee, but I looked at my hand and there was literally blood streaming off the ends of my fingers from a deep cut in my little finger. I probably should have stopped at that point, but I was really angry and wired on adrenaline and I kept going.

I finally finished the bike and started to transition to the second run. I looked at my finger and it was pretty badly mangled. I decided to finish the race and go to medical as soon as I was done. My knee really hurt, but again, it was mostly superficial—there was no looseness or grinding that would have suggested damage to the joint.

Eventually I finished the run. My knee was really hurting, I had blood all over myself. I took off my chip and went and found a paramedic who cleaned me up. After the race, I was talking to a friend of mine and she said something about my award. “What award?” I said. She said, “I think I heard them say that you won your age group when you crossed the finish line.” I was kind of astounded. I had to wait a long time for the results, but, sure enough, out of 50 athletes, I finished 7th overall, 4th among men, and 1st in Men 40-44.

It’s the first award I’ve ever gotten in any race of any kind, ever, and I’ve been racing since 2006. The fact that it came on a day when I crashed my bike made it even better. I’ve had races where I’ve performed better and didn’t win anything—like I said to Dana earlier, you never know who’s going to show up.
2011-05-09 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3487290

..... By the way, this race wasn't nearly as much fun. In fact, I can't say I enjoyed any part of it (except part of the bike) except for the feeling of accomplishment. That's sad! It was TOUGH! I honestly don't know if I'll do another now. And, while last month's tri was so friendly and everyone was encouraging when passing or being passed, this was a very unfriendly race. I think it would be more fun if I wasn't worried about being last. Also, it'd probably be fun if I were actually catching up to people and passing them. But, I wasn't. I was always the one being passed. (Well, I passed a few during the entire race...only one of them that was in my AG and she ended up beating me by about 45 seconds). That just isn't fun! So, I'll think about it for awhile. I'm kind of dreading doing another one and I'm not sure if this is just pace race blues or reality. We'll see as time goes on! Maybe if I could just get faster....not be in danger of being last... I could enjoy these more. Dana

Dana,

I'm so bummed for you about how you felt about your race experience.  I've had the same feelings, both because people pass me, and I've had serious pain during a race.  Take it from someone that is always in danger of being last, it's not as bad as you think.  It doesn't make you feel great, that's true, but I'll tell you a couple of things that help me.  First of all, I'm an okay swimmer and biker, so I will pass people during these parts of a race, but when I run, it's pretty awful, and I lose any lead I may have had in the previous parts of the race.  It sucks, but I always think to myself to "run my race".  I'm there for me and no one else.  The fact is that you finished a triathlon!  You did-nobody else swam for you, rode your bike, and ran for you-you did it-and for that you should be really proud.  So many things could have contributed to you not doing as well as you thought you would, but, you still pushed through and complete the goal you set for yourself. 

Another thing I think about when I'm getting down about being so slow, is that, just my participating in these races, I'm beating so many people who don't do anything.  I do not have a athete's body when you see me, not in the slightest.  The other participants at the races I do are very encouraging and see me as an athlete, but others, not so much.  I love to tell them that I run races and do triathlons, and they look at me like "how could she do that?". But my favorite thing is when they say, "yeah, if only (enter excuse here-blah, blah, blah), I could totally do that."  Of course this is only in my mind, but I'm always thinking, "then why don't you, if you're so sure you can?".  I know I have a terrible attitude, but so what, I earned it! Wink  While I'm pushing myself to make my life better, and quietly racking up finishers medals in the process, you're sitting on your butt telling me how much you 'could' do.  I guess that's what the difference is between us, you could do it, and I am doing it. 

Sorry to rant like this, but I don't want you to be discouraged, because you've worked so hard to get where you are, and I think after the dust settles, you will probably feel differently about potentially quitting the sport.  I think you're doing great, and would love to hear how you killed it at your next race!

Take care and feel better.

-Kelly

2011-05-09 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
I hadn't thought about hooking up a pair of wireless/usb headphones, so nice call on that one. However, the Sufferfest recommendation is the one that is really awesome. I downloaded one, and I can't wait to try it out. Yes, it feels weird to say it, but I'm actually looking forward to a trainer session. Thanks!
2011-05-09 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3489262

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Turtle who Tris - 2011-05-09 11:03 AM

Another thing I think about when I'm getting down about being so slow, is that, just my participating in these races, I'm beating so many people who don't do anything. 

Post of the year! Thanks for making that point.
2011-05-09 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3489055

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
jmk-brooklyn - 2011-05-09 9:45 AM

Hi Dana:
About the chip issue—I’m sure they’ll get it sorted out. It happens sometimes.

A couple of technical things first: I think maybe there’s a fit issue with your bike...

As far as clipless pedals go, there are many varieties and they all have their plusses and minuses...

Back to the race: sometimes it just isn’t your day. I’ve had races where I’ve enjoyed every minute and others where I spent the entire race, from starting gun to finish line, wishing it was over.

As far as being last goes: whether you’re FOP or BOP, the one thing you can’t control is who shows up. You can have the race of your life against a fast field and end up last, or you can have a day from he!! on a day when everyone else suffers worse and end up doing well. Focus on how you performed against your goals and don’t worry so much about the standings. I know that’s not always an easy thing to do, but it’s just simply something that you don’t have a lot of control over.

Focus on the positives. You’re still new at this. Speed is icing on the cake, and your cake just came out of the oven.

Thanks for so many wonderful replies! I called about the chip today. I had to leave a voicemail, but we'll see what happens.

I hope to go to the bike store this week & have bike refitted and look at clipless pedals & shoes. I'll let you know how that goes!

Thanks for the thoughts about racing and basically my attitude. I am feeling much better about my race today. It's strange, but for all 3 of my 'bigger' events (HM & 2 tris), I really feel bad about my performance for 24-48 hours... and then I start feeling better about it. In the past, I would not enter any contest where I didn't know I could make a good showing... that I could be competitive. This is part of my growth process! I am entering things where I can come out near the end, and need to learn how to deal with that. I am doing better than those who didn't get off the couch or those who didn't show! (Our group had 41 out of 68 who were signed up!!!)

THANKS!!! I needed to hear all of this!

2011-05-09 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3489262

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Turtle who Tris - 2011-05-09 11:03 AM

I'm so bummed for you about how you felt about your race experience.  I've had the same feelings, both because people pass me, and I've had serious pain during a race.  Take it from someone that is always in danger of being last, it's not as bad as you think.  It doesn't make you feel great, that's true, but I'll tell you a couple of things that help me.  First of all, I'm an okay swimmer and biker, so I will pass people during these parts of a race, but when I run, it's pretty awful, and I lose any lead I may have had in the previous parts of the race.  It sucks, but I always think to myself to "run my race".  I'm there for me and no one else.  The fact is that you finished a triathlon!  You did-nobody else swam for you, rode your bike, and ran for you-you did it-and for that you should be really proud.  So many things could have contributed to you not doing as well as you thought you would, but, you still pushed through and complete the goal you set for yourself. 

Another thing I think about when I'm getting down about being so slow, is that, just my participating in these races, I'm beating so many people who don't do anything.  I do not have a athete's body when you see me, not in the slightest.  The other participants at the races I do are very encouraging and see me as an athlete, but others, not so much.  I love to tell them that I run races and do triathlons, and they look at me like "how could she do that?". But my favorite thing is when they say, "yeah, if only (enter excuse here-blah, blah, blah), I could totally do that."  Of course this is only in my mind, but I'm always thinking, "then why don't you, if you're so sure you can?".  I know I have a terrible attitude, but so what, I earned it! Wink  While I'm pushing myself to make my life better, and quietly racking up finishers medals in the process, you're sitting on your butt telling me how much you 'could' do.  I guess that's what the difference is between us, you could do it, and I am doing it. 

Sorry to rant like this, but I don't want you to be discouraged, because you've worked so hard to get where you are, and I think after the dust settles, you will probably feel differently about potentially quitting the sport.  I think you're doing great, and would love to hear how you killed it at your next race!

Take care and feel better.

-Kelly

Kelly, Thank you for this reply! You really showed me the error of my thought process! And, I am thinking more positively now. I AM proud of myself. I did my BEST. I trained HARD!!!! And, I gave it my ALL! So, YEAH!!! I will celebrate my accomplishment!

Moving forward... I'm supposed to be doing a half marathon in 4 weeks. My next big event. But, once again, it is in jeopardy. I'm really frustrated. It is out of my hands and we'll see what happens. (The person who I'm supposed to be running with has a conflict...we're trying to straighten it out. But, if she can't, I can't. Long & complicated but involves family!)

I have taken the past 2 days TOTALLY off. I'm ready to jump back in tomorrow! I just wish I knew exactly what I was training for. I'll probably run. I have about an hour while my daughter is at swim team lessons. And, one day this week I'll wake up early and swim. I'm just not quite ready for that yet!

Keep training hard! I am back 'in'... I usually bounce back pretty quick. I just go through some tough patches sometimes! Thanks again for all of the encouragement.

Dana
2011-05-10 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
So I had a delightful complication come up during my run this morning. I was scheduled to do a 4.4 mile run in 44 minutes, which is based on the pace I inputted into BT when making my plan. However, my run has been improving really quickly, and I was going much faster than the pace this morning's run was scheduled for, meaning if I went the scheduled distance I wouldn't be meeting scheduled duration. Since I was feeling pretty good I decided to run an extra mile so I could keep meeting my time requirements. I was wondering what you think is more important during base building, meeting the mileage goals or meeting the time goals?
2011-05-10 12:47 PM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
@Johnny i have been running distance not time  I m now going to concentrate on time in the run up to my next tri. as i think this will help me maintain better mental focus.
2011-05-10 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3489239

User image

Veteran

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-05-09 10:53 AM Sorry for the long entry: I had an interesting day at the races on Sunday. I entered this duathlon kind of as an afterthought since it was Mothers Day and I thought we would be going out to my in-laws. I think I mentioned that I have a friend who’s new to this sport who I’ve been training with and sort of coaching. I had suggested that we do the race just so that he could practice a multisport race before he does his first tri in June. The race had three distances and, since we were just doing it for practice, we chose the “sprint” distance: 2 mile run/10 mile bike/2 mile run. The run was pretty good. As always in a duathlon, the field went out really fast, so he and I basically just tried to stay in contact with the front of the pack and keep them in sight. Duathlons really favor fast runners, which I am not. I finished the first run in 15:41 or just under an 8-minute mile, which is about as fast as it is possible for me to run. I found a really good pace rabbit—this girl who was cruising along at the pace I wanted to be at and I just stayed in her shadow and she pulled me along. That’s a good tip for racing—find someone who’s running just a little bit faster than you and try to hang with them. I got on the bike feeling pretty good. I didn’t think there were many people in front of me. I rode out and made the first of three laps in good time. The course was fairly crowded. It was 9am by this time, which is usually the time when I try to be done with my bike workouts for the day, since most parks and bike trails become really crowded with recreational cyclists. When I got to the top of the big hill, there was a guy on a road bike who was looking down at his water bottle and weaving around a little. I had room to pass on his left, between him and an older woman on a cruiser in the recreational bike lane. I started my pass and yelled “on your left” at him several times, but as I approached, it was clear that he wasn’t paying attention, still focused on his water bottles. He continued to drift into my lane. I was in my aerobars and just as I switched to my “horns” and started to slow down, he swerved sharply into my lane. I slammed on the breaks and went over the handlebars onto the asphalt. I got up, and did a quick damage assessment. Head was ok. Knee was bloody but felt structurally ok. My hand hurt and I felt some road rash on my shoulder. Bike seemed ok, although I didn’t have time to check for scratches. I got back on the bike and decided to see how I felt. My knee definitely hurt, and my right hand was killing me, but I was able to ride and shift and brake ok. I got back up to speed and completed the second lap. As I passed a girl I knew, she looked over and yelled, “You’re bleeding!” I thought she was referring to my knee, but I looked at my hand and there was literally blood streaming off the ends of my fingers from a deep cut in my little finger. I probably should have stopped at that point, but I was really angry and wired on adrenaline and I kept going. I finally finished the bike and started to transition to the second run. I looked at my finger and it was pretty badly mangled. I decided to finish the race and go to medical as soon as I was done. My knee really hurt, but again, it was mostly superficial—there was no looseness or grinding that would have suggested damage to the joint. Eventually I finished the run. My knee was really hurting, I had blood all over myself. I took off my chip and went and found a paramedic who cleaned me up. After the race, I was talking to a friend of mine and she said something about my award. “What award?” I said. She said, “I think I heard them say that you won your age group when you crossed the finish line.” I was kind of astounded. I had to wait a long time for the results, but, sure enough, out of 50 athletes, I finished 7th overall, 4th among men, and 1st in Men 40-44. It’s the first award I’ve ever gotten in any race of any kind, ever, and I’ve been racing since 2006. The fact that it came on a day when I crashed my bike made it even better. I’ve had races where I’ve performed better and didn’t win anything—like I said to Dana earlier, you never know who’s going to show up.

Hey Jonah, Just dropping by to say congrats on the race and way to tough it out for the win!

2011-05-10 1:04 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for dropping by! It was nice meeting you.

2011-05-10 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3491511

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
johnnyfulltime - 2011-05-10 11:14 AM

So I had a delightful complication come up during my run this morning. I was scheduled to do a 4.4 mile run in 44 minutes, which is based on the pace I inputted into BT when making my plan. However, my run has been improving really quickly, and I was going much faster than the pace this morning's run was scheduled for, meaning if I went the scheduled distance I wouldn't be meeting scheduled duration. Since I was feeling pretty good I decided to run an extra mile so I could keep meeting my time requirements. I was wondering what you think is more important during base building, meeting the mileage goals or meeting the time goals?

In general, I think time is more important than distance. When you exercise, the only thing your body “knows” is how long it’s being asked to work at above-normal intensity, not how far it’s travelling in that period. An 80% max effort for ten minutes is the same whether you’re travelling one mile or half a mile. Timed workouts are also better for the time-crunched triathlete, since they're easier to schedule around.

Having said that, I think it’s important, if only for psychological reasons, to complete the race distance at least once before you do the race. That’s not to say you have to have done an iOly triathlon in training before you race one, but you should know what it feels like to swim .9 miles, bike 25 miles, and run a 10k.

I usually do a combination of the two. On most training runs, I tell myself that I'm going to run, say, thirty minutes out and thirty minutes back. Depending on the course I choose and how I'm feeling, that could be between six miles and 7+. For my weekly long runs, since they are usually a buildup to the race distance, I'll have a distance goal in mind, for example, my half marathon is in two weeks, so I'm going to try to run 11 miles this weekend.

2011-05-10 4:41 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
jmk-brooklyn - 2011-05-09 10:53 AM

Eventually I finished the run. My knee was really hurting, I had blood all over myself. I took off my chip and went and found a paramedic who cleaned me up. After the race, I was talking to a friend of mine and she said something about my award. “What award?” I said. She said, “I think I heard them say that you won your age group when you crossed the finish line.” I was kind of astounded. I had to wait a long time for the results, but, sure enough, out of 50 athletes, I finished 7th overall, 4th among men, and 1st in Men 40-44.

It’s the first award I’ve ever gotten in any race of any kind, ever, and I’ve been racing since 2006. The fact that it came on a day when I crashed my bike made it even better. I’ve had races where I’ve performed better and didn’t win anything—like I said to Dana earlier, you never know who’s going to show up.

Congratulations for the incredible race! And, for your first award! I'm sure that is a race you will never forget. You are tough!!! Great job!
2011-05-11 5:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-05-09 11:53 AM  It’s the first award I’ve ever gotten in any race of any kind, ever, and I’ve been racing since 2006. The fact that it came on a day when I crashed my bike made it even better. I’ve had races where I’ve performed better and didn’t win anything—like I said to Dana earlier, you never know who’s going to show up.

Congratulations on the awesome job! This has got to feel pretty good for you. Does a win like this affect how you approach your training/racing for the rest of the season? Are the injuries going to impede your training at all? This is really, really cool for you. Congratulations.

2011-05-11 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks everybody!

This race was practically an afterthought, so no, it won’t affect my training or anything else for this season. I’m still in this weird place where I’m doing the run training for my half-marathon in two weeks, combined with the swim and bike training for my first tri the first weekend in June.

I’m healing up pretty quickly, luckily. I ran on the treadmill for 4 miles at about an 8:30 pace with no pain in my knee. The only thing it’s affected in terms of my training is my ability to swim. I can’t go in the pool yet, since my road rash hasn’t completely healed, but I should be able to by Friday. My little finger still hurts and looks nasty, but I can shift and brake with no trouble and I don’t see it being a problem when I eventually get back in the pool.
2011-05-11 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
MA
Hello troops,

I'm officially crashing the party. 

My name is Emily and I started out on BT back around the same time Jonah did- in fact, we were both mentees in the same mentor group way back when.  Jonah invited me to join this current group mmmm about 3 billion years ago when it wasn't full yet, but I just got back from two years in a faraway place where time moves a little slower, so here I am breaking all the rules.

I'll be kicking around this group as a way of keeping Jonah on his toes and maybe picking up a few tidbits of knowledge since I've been out of the game for awhile.

My goals for this triathlon season are to remember how to do things like swim and go through transitions.  Which I suppose means I need to sign up for some races.  And maybe get in the water.  Prior to my time in Africa, I mainly focused on a half-ironman (my favorite distance) a season, and I would love to get back into HIMs.  This time around, however, I want to focus more on overall health, i.e. spending more time on extracurriculars like yoga and cooking with whole foods, and less time on going through the motions of triathlon training.

So hello everyone and thanks for letting this troublemaker make my fashionably late appearance.

Emily

2011-05-11 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Hello, trouble...

I kid, I kid.

Here's why mentor groups are so great: Emily and I joined the same mentor group a few years ago without knowing each other. I think it was the first time they'd ever had mentor groups on BT, actually. I picked my mentor, Jen, because she seemed cool and because she lived in Brooklyn. Emily picked her, if I remember correctly, because she occasionally visited friends in Brooklyn. (She was living in NYC at the time.) We met in person at a couple of local events and have been friends ever since, despite the fact that she's lived in about a bazillion different places since then. She's being characteristically mysterious about her recent whereabouts, but I'll spill the beans for her: She just got back from a two-year stint in Rwanda.

(And you still owe me a race. Don't think I've forgotten. I bet IM70.3 Syracuse is still open...)
2011-05-11 12:00 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Welcome, Emily! It'll be nice to have you along!

Well, my half marathon, scheduled for June 5th, is officially cancelled. My sister-in-law had to cancel on me, again, because of job related duties. I think I'll stick to races close to home for now where I don't have to depend on others!I'm disappointed, but wanted my next Half to be at 2:30, and that wasn't going to happen. So, I'll use this time to work on speed!

It feels really strange to not have a single race actually on my schedule right now. I am debating doing another sprint tri on July 10th. So far, though, I haven't wanted to get back in the pool since my tri on Saturday. Next month our local pool will be open in the morning for adult swim. I really enjoyed that last year, so I know I'll be going again this summer.

I did have a wonderful run last night & I am getting a little faster! Tonight I'll be trying CrossFit (yeah!) and riding my bike if I'm not too tired.

How is everyone else's training going this week?
2011-05-11 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Aw, that's a bummer, Dana.

Luckily for you, you live in what seems to be the Triathlon capital of the USA. I'm sure there are tons of races around your area over the next few months.

Hey- I had this thought for you: Have you thought of volunteering at IM Houston? Isn't it in a week or two? I'm sure they could still use volunteers and there's no better way of getting inspired in this sport than to volunteer at a race, especially a big one and ESPECIALLY an Ironman. There are some great BT-ers that are doing the race.
2011-05-11 9:51 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Welcome Emily.

Jonah- Congrats on winning your age group & toughing it out after the crash.

Change of plans to my schedule. Instead of doing the Carlsbad (CA) Sprint in July, I'll be doing a Sprint in St. George, UT in June. Cheaper & closer to home (about 1.5 hr drive from Vegas) & my friend who did Iron Girl with me is going too. I started training with her 1-2 times a week a few months ago. We are pretty similar abilities in biking & running, so it works out well.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16