BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-05-11 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3492932

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED
mikar_68 - 2011-05-11 5:11 AM Thank you for the reponses Gator and Hoots. You both are absolutely correct. After swimming 50 yds. I have to stop and get my breath.

Today I tried to push myself to go 75 yds. without stopping and could hardly make it. My focus is on trying to exhale as soon as I inhale or when my face starts to enter the water after I inhale. I breath on my right side every time and now my left side rotation is suffering. My swim instructor just keeps telling me to keep practicing and it will come. I am starting to question that because I have been practicing and trying for almost 8 months (3-4x per week) now without much progress.

I have found that if I put fins on and let them drag behind me with little leg kick I can swim 100 yds. before I have to stop. I even purchased the Swim Smooth workouts for my swim type and that seemed to help a little, but still not where I would like it to be. Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I am guessing what you need to do is slow down.  If you have to stop so soon cause your out of breath it is one of two things, 1) you don't know how to breath 2) your swimming harder then your fitness and skill allows for.  If your technique is completely off then you'll be working a lot harder to but since you are working with a swim instructor I am going to guess that your technique is at least passable.  I exhale slowly under water.  I bilateral breath, so every 3rd stroke I am taking a breath.  So that is a fair amount of time to exhale really.  As I turn to breath all I have to do is inhale, then when my face is back in the water I slowly start to exhale again.  Now, if I am doing sprints then that changes (could be breathing every breath or every second one, or some varation) but for nearly all my swimming that method works for me.

2011-05-11 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3492932

User image

Expert
mikar_68 - 2011-05-11 7:11 AM Thank you for the reponses Gator and Hoots. You both are absolutely correct. After swimming 50 yds. I have to stop and get my breath.

Today I tried to push myself to go 75 yds. without stopping and could hardly make it. My focus is on trying to exhale as soon as I inhale or when my face starts to enter the water after I inhale. I breath on my right side every time and now my left side rotation is suffering. My swim instructor just keeps telling me to keep practicing and it will come. I am starting to question that because I have been practicing and trying for almost 8 months (3-4x per week) now without much progress.

I have found that if I put fins on and let them drag behind me with little leg kick I can swim 100 yds. before I have to stop. I even purchased the Swim Smooth workouts for my swim type and that seemed to help a little, but still not where I would like it to be. Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

You also might just be really tensed up.  Try holding your breath under water for as long as you can when you swim.  Then try again when you are perfectly still holding onto the ladder or something to keep you down. You should be able to do much better when you are totally relaxed.  Your muscles get that lactic acid in them very quickly when you swim if you are tight.  Just think in your head "relax, relax, relax".  Just like the military says about shooting....."smooth is fast" don't rush and slow yourself down.
2011-05-11 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

Los Angeles
103.1 miles today. Philly to Baltimore. Tons of rolling hills. I feel good enuf to go to the Oriole game. Tomorrow, Baltimore to DC.
2011-05-11 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3494370

User image

Payson, AZ

bad91 - 2011-05-11 2:51 PM 103.1 miles today. Philly to Baltimore. Tons of rolling hills. I feel good enuf to go to the Oriole game. Tomorrow, Baltimore to DC.

Nice. You must be one of those rare people who actually trained for your event.

2011-05-11 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
bad91 - 2011-05-11 5:51 PM103.1 miles today. Philly to Baltimore. Tons of rolling hills. I feel good enuf to go to the Oriole game. Tomorrow, Baltimore to DC.
Amazing!!!!
2011-05-11 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
bad91 - 2011-05-11 4:51 PM 103.1 miles today. Philly to Baltimore. Tons of rolling hills. I feel good enuf to go to the Oriole game. Tomorrow, Baltimore to DC.

Nice job. Perfect weather for it too!

2011-05-12 11:47 AM

User image

Good job Brent!

Added a mile to my Thursday run today to 5 miles.  Quite happy with the pace for me.  Nice run along the ocean, dolphins and surfers out.

2011-05-13 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3495686

User image

Expert
Ok gang, here is something to chew on. It got pretty hot around here yesterday and today and I am totally smoked. I played golf yesterday (I know I know, but I walk and carry my bag on a hilly course) and had to lay mulch and stone all over this morning. I literally could fall asleep standing up. I don't do anywhere near the volume many of you do and we are all pretty close in age.  Where do you get the mojo?  My diet is fairly good.....
2011-05-13 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3497092

User image

Payson, AZ

gator22 - 2011-05-13 6:57 AM Ok gang, here is something to chew on. It got pretty hot around here yesterday and today and I am totally smoked. I played golf yesterday (I know I know, but I walk and carry my bag on a hilly course) and had to lay mulch and stone all over this morning. I literally could fall asleep standing up. I don't do anywhere near the volume many of you do and we are all pretty close in age.  Where do you get the mojo?  My diet is fairly good.....

Good question.  First, if I am totally smoked I'd actually take the day off or do an easy workout (perfect time for a swim workout).  But, I find a key for me is getting my workouts in early.  If I let it linger into late afternoon or evening I am even more tired then I am at the start of the day and it becomes so easy to just not do it.  I have that problem with my strength training.  It's typically at the end of the day cause I eventually have to start my work day and more often then not I blow it off.  If my schedule allows for it in the morning I have no problems with it. 

Another thing is hydration.  Here in Tucson it's really hard to stay on top of hydration with our awesome 4% humdity (sometimes it hits double digits).  You put physical activity on top of that and it's a constant battle.  If I am losing the battle I always feel more worn out then normal.  I make it a focus of my day.  I'm rarely without my water bottle.  Even to go to the store.

And for me one other key factor.  Chocolate.  It always gets me going.

Edited by bzgl40 2011-05-13 11:25 AM
2011-05-13 12:03 PM

User image

Agree with Kim, Get it done early and take care of nutrition/hydration.  Those are two things I am constantly working on.  If I get up an hour early and do whatever, it's done for the day, and I can rest at night.  If I wait I either don't do it, or do it late, and it affects the next day.  Sort of like pacing the days out.  I also try to break up hard and easy efforts with at least 24 hours

Off topic - Kim, I saw in another thread you're going to the Galapagos?  I've been twice, it's fantastic.  What kind of trip are you doing?

2011-05-13 12:04 PM

User image

So, what are the plans for the weekend?  Any races going on?

I don't have anything solid, but the general plan is something like a 60/3 brick Sat and a 9 mile run Sunday

2011-05-13 12:11 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
yeah, I am really looking forward to the trip.  It's a land based trip, I'm not a fan of cruises.  A few days camping but rest in hotels down by the water.  We have a pretty large group of friends going so it should be a totally fun time.  We are going to be all over the place by the looks of it, mixing the days up with some hiking and lots of snorkling.  None of us SCUBA so none of that on the agenda. 
2011-05-13 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3497571

User image

bzgl40 - 2011-05-13 10:11 AM yeah, I am really looking forward to the trip.  It's a land based trip, I'm not a fan of cruises.  A few days camping but rest in hotels down by the water.  We have a pretty large group of friends going so it should be a totally fun time.  We are going to be all over the place by the looks of it, mixing the days up with some hiking and lots of snorkling.  None of us SCUBA so none of that on the agenda. 

There's tons to see.  I enjoyed our land excursions as much or more than the dives, frankly.  It's pretty fascinating.

2011-05-13 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3497739

User image

Payson, AZ
ChrisM - 2011-05-13 11:25 AM

bzgl40 - 2011-05-13 10:11 AM yeah, I am really looking forward to the trip.  It's a land based trip, I'm not a fan of cruises.  A few days camping but rest in hotels down by the water.  We have a pretty large group of friends going so it should be a totally fun time.  We are going to be all over the place by the looks of it, mixing the days up with some hiking and lots of snorkling.  None of us SCUBA so none of that on the agenda. 

There's tons to see.  I enjoyed our land excursions as much or more than the dives, frankly.  It's pretty fascinating.

Dude, I'm on pins and needles already waiting for this trip and you throw that at me?   This trip has been 2 years in the planning.  Leave June 3rd.  Can't wait.  What's funny is we close on our new house June 2nd and as soon as we come back we have to get moved.  No rest for the weary.

2011-05-13 1:32 PM

User image

2011-05-13 1:45 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
your killing me.  But amazing photo's.  You got a special talent there dude

2011-05-13 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3497554

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
ChrisM - 2011-05-13 11:04 AM

Half marathon on Sunday.  This will be the longest I have run all at once.  I need to do make sure and pace myself in the beginning.

2011-05-13 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3497811

User image

hoots - 2011-05-13 11:58 AM

Half marathon on Sunday.  This will be the longest I have run all at once.  I need to do make sure and pace myself in the beginning.

Awesome!  What's your previous long run?

It's a good distance, and you will be worked at the end     You didn't ask me, but I'll give my pacing advice I got from Mike Ricci before my first.  I broke it into four (or so) 5Ks.  The first 5K was a nice steady warmup.  Second 5K start working a bit but not too hard.  Third 5K it gets interesting.  Keep the same pace to mile 8, then pick it up for 2 miles.  Last 5K run it like a 5K.

That's just one pacing option, there are other opinions out there certainly

2011-05-13 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3497785

User image

bzgl40 - 2011-05-13 11:45 AM your killing me.  But amazing photo's.  You got a special talent there dude

Thanks, but looking at photos before I go on a big trip always gets me fired up.  You're gonna love it

2011-05-13 2:18 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Good luck hoots.  My pacing strategy is different then Chris's but I might try that one next time.  I try and negative split though.  I've finally learned to leave it all out there on the run.  Took me a few tries to get the pacing just right.  I was usually too conservative and didn't trust my training.
2011-05-13 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3497811

User image

There was a half I was going to do tomorrow with some friends, but my training hasn't been what I thought it would after Calif.  I have a good 8 mile run last weekend in the same hills that this race is going to be held in, and was going to run 9-10 this weekend....   Your post got me thinking maybe I should run the half.   Darn you 

2011-05-13 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3497887

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
ChrisM - 2011-05-13 1:31 PM

There was a half I was going to do tomorrow with some friends, but my training hasn't been what I thought it would after Calif.  I have a good 8 mile run last weekend in the same hills that this race is going to be held in, and was going to run 9-10 this weekend....   Your post got me thinking maybe I should run the half.   Darn you 

Get out there and do it. If you ran 8 last weekend, you can do the half. My previous longest run is 10 miles. I was planning on running the first half at 10 min miles, and picking up each mile after that. Last weekend, I looked at my watch about a half mile into the first 5k, and had went .5 miles in 3 minutes 40 seconds. Crazy what the adrenaline of race day can do to you.
2011-05-13 8:11 PM

Regular
Indiana

I have been able to swim a lot more yards than I anticipated this week and felt very good. Of course this was not non stop swimming. I plan to swim 1400 yards tomorrow followed by a 4 mile run later in the day. I plan to ride 25 miles on Sunday. THis will be the longest I have rode for a long time.

They key will be if the weather holds out. We have experienced a lot of rain lately.

2011-05-13 11:55 PM
in reply to: #3498324

User image

mikar_68 - 2011-05-13 6:11 PM

I have been able to swim a lot more yards than I anticipated this week and felt very good. Of course this was not non stop swimming. I plan to swim 1400 yards tomorrow followed by a 4 mile run later in the day. I plan to ride 25 miles on Sunday. THis will be the longest I have rode for a long time.

They key will be if the weather holds out. We have experienced a lot of rain lately.

Sounds like a great weekend...  Hope the weather holds for you!

2011-05-14 9:20 PM

User image

Gang..

I am so sorry that I have been MIA.   I have been out of the country, injured, etc.

After running the NY marathon last fall and trying to start training this spring, old overuse injuries kicked my butt.  Major mid calf strains that would not let up.  6 weeks of painful PT and I am finally beginning to run again.  Did a small sprint last week and trying to pick up the training.

I will try to check the post more often.  Training for several OLY, sprint and want to do a HIM before the injuries set in.

Chicago marathon in fall and looking forward to my wife running her first with me.  We are raising money for a brain cancer research for a friend.

Swimming is my weak link like most but working on getting better.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20