BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-12-26 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3954550

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!

Vera - it should open the other person's blog in another window along with the inspire box. You can then either just respond to the comment in the inspire box or you can check their log and inspire them back using the same box.

2011-12-26 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

Veteran
You may need to scroll down especially if that person left a numver of inspires and go replies to them as well.<br>
2011-12-26 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3954427

Extreme Veteran
arquillo - 2011-12-26 6:59 PM
  • Garmin 305 - Took advantage of the rare beautiful December weather today to play with it. What a SUPER cool gadget  
  • Bontrager cycling shoes
  • iPod nano (Yeah for no arm band!)
  • running tights
  • tri top
  • and cash (to purchase a Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer)
  • cycling gloves
  • mini-presta pump

Happy training this week (for those of you aren't waiting until next week)! My jeans have begun protesting, so I decided not to wait. Tongue out

~Michelle

Pretty good swag of gifts. Love the way you described why you don't want to wait to start training again.

2011-12-27 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3954580

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Dang, I must be sleeping or something when you guys get to gabbing over here!!

Vanessa... once you hit the reply button on an inspire, a box will pop up and usually the other person's blog... if you can't see the inspire box, it's probably UNDER their blog page, so close out their page and you should see it.  Don't worry, once you do it once you'll know what to do!

Man, you guys got some super swag for Xmas... trainers, clothing, a Garmin 305 (my one HAVE TO HAVE it item!), whoo hoo!!!!  Yep, we have a multitude of bikes out there too... and Alex actually has TWO new bikes, a roadie AND a tri bike, but she's a serious overachiever, ha ha!!  All great bikes, I know we have Cervelo, Kuota, Felt, Look in our possession... all depends on how your body is built, how it fits, and your BUDGET of course!!  And how hot it looks too....

Tammy, you are rockin' the bikini and I like the race wheel too!  People, and by that I mean, ladies!!  Don't be afraid to call out Wilson... he's a man, he can take it!! 

So I didn't get a lot of swag for Christmas, but I did have a great holiday... our trip to San Antonio was a huge hit!!  Unfiortunately it was really dank and chilly and rainy on and off.  We had an uneventful drive down, checked into the hotel and changed for dinner, then walked along the Riverwalk just as they were turning on the lights!!  I guess they've switched to all LED lights, and where they used to have lights hanging down over the river, now they just have tons of trees wrapped.  We went to Fogo de Chao (Brazilian Steak House) for dinner, we'd been to one in Austin.... mmmmmmm, truly a feast for meat lovers if you've never been to one, and feast for the eyes seeing all the waiters in their gaucho pants!  Very spensy though!!  But it was Christmas so we splurged.  We had gone down to ride the boat cruise that winds all around the Riverwalk, and as luck would have it, the boats weren't running, guessing it was the rain... damn!  And we had tickets that were part of our hotel package... but we could see all the lights just walking, so it wasn't a total waste.  Lots of stuff was closed, but a lot was also open.  We went back to the hotel to change back in to jeans, then hit an Irish Pub, (Durty Nelly's) that had a rockin' piano player who just did song after song, all singalong stuff.  I was drinking O'Douls, Reade and Ron were drinking Guiness and Kylie had Bud Light or something.... let's just say that when we left, I was the only sober one, and the only one who knew how to get back to the hotel!!  Reade was too funny, singing all the words to all the songs (who knew?) and fist pumping guys with his stump, wtf??  People just love him!  It was good to get away even just for the overnight....

dsf

About 5 pm, the lights were just starting to turn on... walking to the restaurant...

sd

This was from street level, the actual Riverwalk (and the base of the trees) is one story down...

sdf

This was from the river level... the arch is a bridge that crosses the river.  It's really hard to see, but these are all colored lights, just gorgeous!!

ads

This was on the walk back to the hotel (after about 10 Guiness')... this is at the Hyatt hotel, this "river" runs through the lowest level of the hotel, into a large pool of water and eventually right out into the real river.  Reade is in the background deciding if he should jump across the gap, Ron is wading across the "river" in his cowboy boots,  stupid drunks!

sdsa

Taken from a bridge that crosses the river... our hotel is on the left, but breakfast was being served in the hotel on the right.  Note the homeless person on the bench, and it was chilly!

2011-12-27 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3954923

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

I forgot to add!  We have a former MMMer who wants to remain with the group... she's had tons of crap going on and I thought maybe we had lost her, but she's back!!  Please add her to our list!!

gnome - Jen

2011-12-27 9:04 AM

Thanks Hilde! I was feeling extremely stupid. It hadn't occurred to me to look behind the blog. I hope I have now responded to everyone's inspires. If I missed any, I apologize. I will be much better in the future. Tomorrow is my birthday and I plan to be much smarter at 43.

2011-12-27 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3954979

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Vanessa, your birthday is TOMORROW, Dec. 28th???  That's MINE too!!  I turn 54 in real years but will move up to AG 55-59 in tri years...
2011-12-27 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3953590

User image

Veteran
tstl - 2011-12-25 8:33 PM
wsilverthorne - 2011-12-25 6:47 PM
brizzadd - 2011-12-25 5:09 PM

Merry Christmas!  Anyone get any new tri gear for xmas?!?!

Yes, Christamas is all about acquiring new Tri gear....I did pick up some new stuff

1. Lock Laces (Blue to match my shoes - Hilde, Tammy(s), Peggy and other color coordinating peeps)

2. Xlab mini-wing kit to hold two bottles behind my seat....for the 50+ milers that will frequently happen eek.

3. Balaclava to keep my head warm this spring....very nice (or rob a gas station)!

4. A bunch of Gu packs - the kiddos loved picking these out!!!

5.  CO2 refills for the numerous flats on century rides to hell

6. A couple more water bottles to put on all those cages

That's about it for now.....I see a Finis MP3 Player coming my way soon...and the SportCount lap counter for the pool.....Both I think were on Santa's sled...he just forgot to drop them off....So I may have to go get them myself....Need some new jammers too....so I have a variety sexy look in the pool..haha

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.....Reality returns to all of us soon....ugh....No workouts for me today...to plan...but tomorrow I need to find some water and treadmill to make my bones happy!!!

So, off to slouch in my chair and watch some mindless TV while I think about doing nothing and eating another snack....Cuz $hit there are so many FIU$#%@$%@ING snacks around this place...OMG!!!

Wilson, I thought I told you to stop posting suggestive photos of yourself... you know it drives me crazy!!!

I did get a couple of tri- related goodies today... a new stem for my bike (not real exciting, I know, but it will bring the aerobars up and back a little to make them a little more comfy. More exciting is the waterproof iPod shuffle - can't wait to try that baby out in the pool tomorrow! Wilson, i had the swiMP3 last year- loved it, but the battery only lasted maybe 6 months... and it comes with a 90 day warranty :-(  Hopefully, you'll have better luck! I'll let you know how the iPod compares.

Hope Santa was good to everybody! Congrats, Hilde!

Wilson - Where did the water bottle cages come from...do you know? Hubby wants some for his roadie...

Tammy - The SwiMP3 I got has a rechargeable battery via usb....are you saying that it will no longer hold a charge after 6 months, or did yours have some other type of battery?

HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY HILDE (aka HILDEBEAST)!!!! I don't want to be THAT friend who forgets their BFF's freakin birthday!! LOL  

2011-12-27 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3955190

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tammy- yep, that's the one I had; the battery just wouldn't hold a charge after a while. I loved while it worked, though! The one I have now uses earbuds-NOT so good, as they don't work when water gets in your ears. As soon as I figure out how to swim without getting wet, I'll be in business!
2011-12-27 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3955233

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Dang it all, I wish I didn't eat all those holiday goodies...

wer

2011-12-27 11:44 AM

OMG, I'm so far behind!!  This group is super hardcore, so I have a lot of catching up to do. My last group wasn't this active all last year.  Here's my info (told you I was slow!):

Story: I'm 42 years old, and this is my second year of tri.  In my prior life I was a 40 year old workaholic that was seriously overweight and unhealthy and one day decided to get off my a$$ and do something about it.  I lost 80 lbs and started running in 2009.  After countless 5Ks, a few 10Ks and two HM, I felt that I needed a change (and so did my nerve damaged feet), so in 2011, I mixed it up and became a triathlete.

Family Status:I've been married for 13 years to a supportive husband who runs really fast, but could care less about biking and hates to swim.  We have two furry and catnip drugged kids named Snoopy and Corduroy. 

Current Training:  This is part of my problem.  I took a break from training since I was in line for a promotion at work (which I finally got two weeks ago, yay!!), and now I'm trying to get back into it.  Previously, I was training at least 4 days a week, typically 5 days, mixing it up between swim, bike and run.  Now that 's it's getting cold in NY, the bike trainer will be making an appearance, swim training will be at the local Y, but I'll still be running outside all winter, running asthma and all. 

The problem with training for me is that I have a very demanding job that requires me to work up to 70 hours a week at times, with travel, or going to clients with a 5 hour daily commute.  This leaves me little time for training sometimes, and mental exhaustion to the point where I sometimes fell like vegging out in front of the TV to watch a marathon of Chopped on Food Network rather than move around at all. No week is ever the same.

2011 Races:  Countless 5Ks (probably 20+), two 10Ks, Long Island HM, Mini Mightly Man Pool Tri (April), Gold Coast Sprint Tri (June), Smith Point Sprint Tri (August), and Trislip (September).

Planned 2012 Races: Carl Hart Duathlon (May), Long Island HM (May), Great South Bay Sprint (June), NJ State Oly-my first! (July), Smith Point Sprint (August), Dirty Sock Run-10K (August), Hamptons HM (September), a tri to be named later (August/September), Carl Hart Fall Duathlon (October).  That's the plan so far.  I'm registering for the NYC Marathon, but I'm sure I won't get in, so that may change the above schedule.

Weight Issues:  I'm so bummed that I've gained 30lbs of my 80lb loss back, so I need to get in gear and get into fighting shape by May (stop snacking!!).  Looking forward to some accountability and camaraderie to get motivated and keep moving! 

Now as you can see, I'm a serious turtle; slow at everything.  My mantra is:  "I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward", so I look forward to moving forward with you all.  Thanks!

-Kelly

2011-12-27 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

Meh – you’re not too slow.  Just like a race, there’s always someone behind you, even if it is the volunteers picking up the cones. 

Story: I'm 35 years old and this is my third year of doing tris though it is my fourth year of trying to tri.  I have had some past success with racing but a new job and preparing for a baby have completely derailed my triathlon training over the past year.  I don’t hold out much hope in early 2012 until we figure out this whole parenting thing (or sell the infant to TammyTucker - I hear she collects them).  

I used to be a pretty decent athlete in college and high school but all that changed when I blew out my rotator cuff and then refused to get surgery for quite a few years.  I managed to reinjure it post-surgery playing tennis and then found myself swimming to help the shoulder and biking to lose weight so I thought why not try triathlons.

Other than the run leg, which is beyond terrible, I seemed to do pretty well for a fellow as overweight as I am by finishing in the Middle of the Pack at my triathlons. 

Family Status: Though we’ve been together for over 11 years, I've been married for 2 years to a wife who likes to kick me in the arse when I’m not doing what I am supposed to be doing.  I guess her pregnancy has distracted her so I haven’t been doing much exercise over the past 9 months.    We currently have a very old, toothless cat as well. 

Current Training:  Does walking during my commute count?  A longer commute, the expectation that I work evening hours at the new job, and the new job in general have derailed me from my training.  That and my default setting is “Lazy.”

Sort of like the 6 Million Dollar man, I need to remake myself, better, stronger, faster.  Due to inherent imbalances in my body that always lead to injury, I’m going to spend the next three months with either the gym or doing something like p90x to give me a base of sorts.  After that, I’m hoping to hop back on the triathlon training wagon while focusing on my great limiter, the run.

2011 Races:  I signed up for 7 races last year.  I did not do a single one of them.  Ugh, it hurts to write that.

Planned 2012 Races: I deferred the NYC Triathlon last year so I am in that but I am still putting together my schedule at the moment, mainly because I want to see how bad our baby is.  Rumor has it that I was an obnoxious and colicky little person who rarely slept and cried so often that my parents are secretly rooting for my own child to be the same way as a form of karmic retribution.

Weight Issues:  I'm fat and overweight.  We order in all the time because I’m too grouchy to think about putting something together after I get home a little before 7 pm and my wife’s been too tired after being on her feet all day.  Her pregnancy did make me realize how bad the food we were eating before was so I’m off to find new healthy recipes for 2012.  One of my biggest goals for 2012 is to track everything that I eat so I can get a better handle on it.

That’s it – the caboose of the MMM’ers has finally checked in.  I will likely pop in and out of the group from time to time but you all have chosen very wisely with Hilde.  She’s a mom and a drill sergeant, a cheerleader and a butt-kicker, and one of my very favorite people on this website.

Just a word of warning though - Wilson, while lovable, needs to be kept away from your livestock…

2011-12-27 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3955818

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Thanks for the bios Kelly and Shawn!!  I think we have a few more bios coming in, but that might not happen till everyone is back in the rut after the New Year.  Sounds like a lot of us have the same resolutions... consistent training and weight loss!!  My pants are decidedly tighter than they were a couple of weeks ago... ugh. 

I love that everyone is so chatty!  Keeps me on my toes!!

2011-12-27 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3955870

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
2011-12-27 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran

Lovely photos everyone!  You are so photogenic!

I bagged on my treadmill run today.  I was using my new shoes for the first time and stopped as it felt like my sock was bunched.  I switched to thinner socks, changed laces while I was at it and then after restarting the TM I quickly called it a day.  No real reason, I was just done.  I'm a wimp...lazy bum...

Tomorrow I'm on the trainer, perhaps I'll add a short run for a "brick."

2011-12-27 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3955927

User image

Extreme Veteran
hildekq - 2011-12-27 1:22 PM

sdf

Hilde, I thought we agreed, what happens in Indy stays in Indy!! I don't even remember losing my top...

2011-12-27 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Kelly, welcome to the group! I'm glad to have another turtle to keep me company at the BOP!

I don't work as much as you, but I do travel constantly, so I'll try to help you find options on the road if I can. It sounds like you have to work hard to fit it all in, but I can tell you're motivated!

Hilde, nice pics! I can see why you quit drinking- it ruins all your good cowboy boots!

2011-12-27 3:39 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
I can see that I'll have to really work to keep up with all the posts! Hahaha.I have one more day of self-imposed no exercise. My pants are a bit tighter than a few weeks ago too!
2011-12-27 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland

I hate treadmill running.  I had to suck it up today though, cause my Fivefingers just aren't up to rainy weather.  Dang it! 

I'm one of those holiday slackers Hilde was talking about.  All fall I had a serious attack of life, but I'm back with a vengeance now!

Story: I am 33 years old and recently married (October).  This is my second year of trying to tri, and I'm hoping that circumstances will  be much more friendly to me actually getting some races in this year.  My main goal is weight loss, but I'll settle for just being in better shape.  I love to swim and bike, but absolutely despise running.  So, guess what I am mostly doing this winter?  I changed my career recently, and am now a paramedic, trying to find a job.  I hope to get hired as a firefighter/medic by a local county this June, but the physical test is a literal pain in the butt.  My home county will hopefully be hiring this spring as well, and their physical test is slightly less of a pain in the butt.  Till then, I have no excuses for not training, cause it's not like I don't have the time!  I've been into sports all my life, playing soccer and softball all growing up, and doing some ultimate frisbee, street hockey, racquetball, and flag football in college, but it wasn't enough to keep off the freshmen 15, the sophmore 15 and so on.  I am inherently lazy and would rather curl up with a good book than motivate my butt off the couch to go running.  I only have free access to a pool in the summer time, winter time I have to pay.

Whoever said they are into rock climbing, me too!  I haven't been able to do much recently, due to cost and distance, but I love it.  I also fence (as in with swords), and I've gotten into Zumba, thanks to a paramedic at my firehouse who is an instructor.

Family Status:  As I said I'm recently married, although my husband and I have been together for 5 years.  We have 2 furry children of the canine variety, Kobe, a pit bull/jack Russell Terrier mix, and Kaylee, a border collie/lab mix (we think).  They are 10 years and 3 years, respectively.

Current Training: here is where I am a slacker.  I have just started the Winter Maintenance-Run focused 8 week program, though I have to skip my swim today because the pool closed early.   I have a chronically bad shoulder that has had rotator cuff surgery 2.5 years ago, and that I dislocated 3 weeks ago (picked up a Christmas tree). Even running leaves it aching, but I'm doing the HTFU method and powering through.  I fence at least once a week, and do Zumba at least once a week as well.  Once the shoulder is feeling more stable, I'll be adding in some more crosstraining.  Mainly, this off-season I'm focusing on cardio, specifically the run. My goal is to get to a 10 min/mile by the end of the year.

2011 races:  Woohooo!!!  I can put something here!  Due to financial constraints, I was only able to do twos race this year.  I did the Marine Corps Marathon 10K with a friend and my husband (3 weeks after our wedding).  I had the shameful time of 1 hr, 45 minutes, but the first 2 miles I averaged a 14.5 minute/mile pace!  I also did the Back Roads Century bike ride, 30 mile.  It was very hilly, which I am unused to being a flatlander, but I still finished in about 3 hours.  A bit slower than my normal pace, but the hills were killers.

2012 races: This year's races will be dependent on $$$ and job status (shift work doesnt always lend itself to races).  My goal is to due at least 2 sprint tri's, and the MCM 10K again.  I would like to do the Tune-up Tri (March, VA), TriRock Annapolis Sprint (May, MD) and the Black Bear Sprint (June, PA).  My other goal this season is to get a road bike, which will also be $$$ dependent.

Weight Loss: Here is my big bugaboo.  I need to lose about 90 lbs overall.  I'm more concerned with inches than weight, so really I'm looking to drop about 4 pant sizes by the end of the year.  My sister-in-law is getting married in Hawaii in August, so I'd like to have a slightly better beach body than I have now by then.  I really need to get a handle on nutrition and portion control...eating for fuel and so on...

I'm a bit more motivated this year, with school out of the way, and essentially a job on the line in terms of getting into shape.  I always have plans ot bust my butt but tend to fizzle out a few weeks into the cycle.  I need accountability.....

2011-12-27 5:08 PM

Hilde - Yes, tomorrow is my birthday. How cool that you have the same birthday! I hope you have a very happy one. I have to rally my family every year for one more celebration. I have to agree with them that the timing isn't the best but, what can you do?

Jen - I love to climb! I have two kids on a climbing team so I get to climb 4 hours per week. I feel so awesomely lucky. I also had a kid who used to fence but I was never interested in joining in there. That is great that you fence. What a workout! My son used to come out of fencing absolutely dripping with sweat.

2011-12-27 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3954923

Extreme Veteran

Love your son's attitude Hilde and great job being the sober one. Nice pics too.

Hilde & Vera - Happy Birthday

How do you move to the 55- 59 age group if you're only 54 though?

2011-12-27 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3955413

Extreme Veteran

Kelly - welcome to the group. Love your motto

Sulcus - welcome to the group. Not sure you can sell the baby to TammyTucker but she may be able to give you some pointers on how to make it work.

Andrea - Don't worry - I did something simalar with yoga the other day when the phone rang. 1.2 miles in better that 0 right?

Melanie - enjoy your last RD

Jen - Is that the right name/spelling gnome? Welcome tog the group. I've got a target wedding to lose the weight for too - In Adelaide (I'm in Australian) in October when my cousin gets married. I'd like to be well in to double digit kg's by that time too. And don't worry we'll give you lots of accountability

2011-12-27 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Hilde and Vanessa - Hope you both have a very Happy Birthday tomorrow!! 

Congratulations on your promotion, Kelly!!

Hilde, glad you had a nice time in San Antonio.  The river walk looks beautiful!!  Glad you stayed out of trouble...

You guys are all great with the inspires, keep 'em comin'!!    It feels so great to log into BT and see them pop up on the screen, very motivating!! 

So, I have a specific question for the group...  What are you all riding for bikes??  I rode a Trek hybrid last tri season.  Love the bike, but I did feel like it was super heavy.  I'm looking to purchase either a road or tri bike for next season, but was curious to see what people have and what they recommend.  I realize that it's a personal decision and really depends on body type and how the bike/brand fits.  Just wanted to throw that question out there!  Thanks!!

2011-12-27 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3956457

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Suzie, here in the USA for triathlon they calculate your age by whatever age you are on Dec 31 of the year of competition. Sooo, since I will turn 55 by the end of 2012, that means I move to the 55-59 AG now. It's weird I know. Gives me a whole year to get used to the age I will be. I ride a Felt B16. I love it! Fits me well. Felts are good for long torso with short legs. My first tri bike was a trek aluminum tri bike. It was a womens equinox, but they don't make them anymore. I would say to get online and just see what is out there. You may be able to find a good deal if you are willing to look at a 2011 or even older model bike that they are trying to get rid of. Bikes are like cars, they come out with new models every year. You can also find some good deals on craig's list... Either someone is upgrading or found out that tris are not for them. I'm sure you'll get some more responses. We all love our bikes!!!
2011-12-27 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3956457

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
kpringle - 2011-12-27 7:41 PM

So, I have a specific question for the group...  What are you all riding for bikes??  I rode a Trek hybrid last tri season.  Love the bike, but I did feel like it was super heavy.  I'm looking to purchase either a road or tri bike for next season, but was curious to see what people have and what they recommend.  I realize that it's a personal decision and really depends on body type and how the bike/brand fits.  Just wanted to throw that question out there!  Thanks!!

I did the exact same thing my first year with a big ole' heavy hybrid and then went overboard and bought a tri bike.  In retrospect, I wish I had bought a road bike and then eventually worked my way up the tri-bike geometry after mastering the road bike for a year or two.  I've since bought a road bike and found the geometry and handling much easier and significantly more comfortable.  Around where I live, they are really tough about letting you tag along with riding group on a tri bike so I also lost out on those opportunities.

On the other hand, I am faster on the tri bike.  Then again, my gut made it difficult to ride at times because of how aggressive the geometry on the bike is.  I am currently 25 lbs heaver than my best racing weight and it is impossible for me to ride at all right now.  Ironically, I bought my tri bike at a fancy triathlon shop and got a top of the line fitting included but I have found more comfort on my road bike that was a 10 minute fitting at a local mountain bike shop that is trying to get into road bikes so make sure, whatever bike you choose, you find one with the right geometry for you.  Yes, they can make any bike fit you but you'll be inherently much more comfortable on some.

All that being said - what are your goals for the bike and/or your racing season?  What distance race are you looking to achieve in the next year or so? (From what I've heard, Olympic is really the longest you'll want to do on a road bike.)  Do you want to join a bike club or go on group rides?   How much are you looking to spend?  I'm sure you've seen all the threads around here with all of the questions!  Many of the folks here recently went through the whole bike buying process so I am sure they can add their $.02. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61