BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2011-12-22 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3950699

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (third season) - OPEN

chris2533 - 2011-12-22 6:44 PM I have trouble with fins. I had this small cut just below the nail on my big toe. For the longest time I couldn't figure out where I got it, or why it kept getting reopened. Looked at my Five Fingers, looked at the Merrell Tough Gloves I wore to work. Just couldn't figure it out. Then one day I put on the fins and bam, I noticed. I suppose I could get some waterproof tape and tape up the toe before swimming. But the "get some more pool toys" advice is noted. I will buy some paddles and one of those thingies to keep your legs from moving. (They have kick boards at the pool. I hate kick boards.) In other news, 8 mile run this morning outside. About 20 F. Just beautiful outside.

I have the board and the pull buoy.  Scott ordered me the paddles for my birthday!  He recommended me not going over 100yards at the time and I'm up to 200 now with no soreness the following day.  I to am starting over in the pool.  As people make there resolutions to "change" I just resolve to continue and refocus my energy.  2012 is going to be a good year for us all!!!

2011-12-22 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3950814

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Jen,

I hesitate to write this because I'm such a slow swimmer. But.. Here goes. It took the longest time for me to "get" what my teacher was talking about when she talked about the proper stroke - leaving your hand out front to "glide".

But I figured out where my misunderstanding was: I always thought the swim stroke required a certain symmetry.

Think of your arm swim motion like a clock. Your hand out front is 12 o'clock. Your hand at the bottom of your stroke, deepest in the water, is 9 o'clock, coming out of the water at your waist is 6 o'clock, and at your ear (halfway between coming out of the water and entering it again in front) is 9 o'clock. My hands were always in motion and always 6 hours apart from each other. When one hand was just entering the water, the other was just leaving. When one was deepest in the water, the other was at my ear.

What my teacher wanted me to do was break this symmetry. Consider starting with one hand at 12 o'clock (just entering the water) and the other at 3 o'clock (at the deepest point in the water). Now leave the hand at 12 o'clock there while the other hand travels from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock (by the ear). From there, move both hands a quarter motion until the hand at 12 is now at 3 and the hand at 9 is now at 12. Repeat. Net effect is one hand "hangs out" at 12 for half a rotation.

I literally had to practice this in front of a mirror for a while until I got it.

But again, I suck at the swim. This made me better but not good. I would love to see what the actually good swimmers say about this analysis.
2011-12-22 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3942748

User image

Master
Ernesto - pls check your message and I apologize for sending it twice.
2011-12-22 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney

Gyday Ernesto, and Merry Christmas!

I would love to join the group also, my first Tri was back in 2005, my second in 2011, in between was aggressive cancer, just as aggressive chemo, next May will mark the "5 year" statistical landmark, important to some. Some info:

USERNAME/NAME: Akuma/Adam

STORY: Always a sportsman, and did my first Sprint tri in March 2005 after motivating workmates to do the same at age 29. A year later, on New Years Eve, I was diagnosed with cancer, now 4.5 years on, I am back to full strength (although not exactly the right body shape ), and catching the bug again. Accountability is my weakness, which is why something like this will be great. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kidlets, 6 and 1, work from home Dad for the last 3 years, wouldn't have it any other way!

CURRENT TRAINING: Speradic would be the best description. Have tried to follow plans, but have yet to find one that suits. Now tend to try to listen to the body to see what it needs, but certainly more guidance is needed. Terrible swimmer, reasonable runner, somewhere in the middle on the bike as training in that discipline has always been lacking due to fear of riding amongst the crazy Sydney traffic here in Australia.

2012 RACES: Olympic distance in May is the primary goal, the swim being the biggest obstacle. I have only done 2 sprints up to this point, with another 2 at least planned for the first 4 months of 2012 as a lead up to the goal race. Pretty much starting from scratch though.

2011 RACES: Only one, Sprint distance in March which marked my first since 2005. Plenty more planned for 2012, but am running out of time for the first of them in Feb 2012.

WEIGHTLOSS: Always seem to carry that extra 5kg, can lose and gain excess weight very quickly, definitely need to drop around 6kg for my goal race in May.

That's me in a nutshell, I hope I can join and gyday to the rest of the group.
2011-12-22 10:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Hi everyone.  I'd like to start by apologising for how long it's taken to introduce myself.  I've been lurking trying to catch up on posts, but I'm on night shift this week and struggling to find the time.  I've finally admitted defeat, and will have to read the last couple of pages over the weekend when I'm off...

Name: Rachel / chapfallen

Story: Around April 2010 my husband came home from work and told me that he'd always wanted to do a triathlon before his 30th birthday (which was July that year), and he'd found one to do at the end of June.  I started by asking what a triathlon involved... I was trying to get fit for my current job, and so decided to join him to help motivate myself to be active.  We did the first one (a sprint with a pool swim and an off-road bike section), and had a great time, but never had any intention of doing any more.

Later that year through a series of coincidences we decided to take part in a mini triathlon.  This was part of a local triathlon festival, with the mini in the morning (with a pool swim) and then sprint and olympic in the afternoon (with OWS).  This one was the real deal, with chip timing and everything.  The atmosphere, the people, everything about it was great.  And then we were hooked.  The plan was that August 2011 we would go back, but do the Olympic distance event.

We joined the local tri club and started swim and run training with them, joined BT and started logging training, and really we've never looked back.  The goals for 2011 were rather more fluid than I'd planned for (in a good way), and I achieved things that a year ago I wouldn't have believed I could do.  And so I'm even more hooked...

I don't consider myself to be a particularly competitive person.  My goals are always self improvement, rather than beating anyone else.  However, at the end of last year, after finishing the first two tri's slower than me, my husband came out with the memorable quote "there cannot be a world where you are faster than me".  This has motivated a season of friendly competition between the two of us.  Fortunately for our marriage we are actually quite well matched, and the final score for 2011 was 2 wins each, with a draw for the final event.

I live in the north of England, and work a job which involves shifts.  At the beginning of this year I thought that would make it harder to fit training in.  However, I've found that because I get more days off than most people I actually cope fairly well as long as I take a very flexible approach to my training plan.

Family status: I'm married, no kids.  We have a couple of cats and a dog, but they are in no way child substitutes.  We occasionally take the dog for runs (if I mention Barney on my training log that's who I'm refering to), but he's big and boisterous, which mostly means he slows us down, so if I want a decent run I go on my own.

??Current training: I started Jorge's bike plan at the beginning of November, along with running x3 , swimming x2 and strength training x2 per week.  It was going pretty well until a couple of weeks ago when things got really busy (there's quite a lot of overtime at work at the moment, and a few other things).  I finally admitted this weekend that I'm massively under-recovered and making myself ill.  So taking the long view, I've done very little this week to try to get caught up.  Once I'm feeling okay again I'm going to go back a couple of weeks on the bike plan and pick things up again.  When I'm in a routine it works okay, I just have to maintain that routine.

This year's races: This year I did a couple of sprints (took almost an hour off my first time), my first olympic was in June, and then I somehow got talked into a HIM in July.  It seemed like a ridiculous idea back in February, but I put in the training and had a great day.  Not fast (just under 6hr30min), but I finished it with the biggest sense of achievement. We also did the olympic we'd planned for in August (really slowly) and I did a HM in September.

2012 goals: So far the only thing I've entered is a HM in January.  My actual goal is IM France, but IM is expensive (especially in another country) and my husband is currently under threat of redundancy.  Until that's resolved we're not entering anything.  Hopefully we'll know fairly soon where he stands with that, and be able to start making real plans.

Weightloss: This is tricky one.  I could stand to lose a little weight (currently hovering around 80kg and would like to be 75kg), but it's not my biggest worry.  I've dropped from 92kg since this all started, and I think consistent training will continue to bring it down.  My diet could be better, but given all of the lifestyle constraints I have it could also be much worse.

Why I will make a good mentee: I was a member of another mentor group for the whole of 2011.  I found it really useful to get information from other people, and really motivational to know that people were checking my logs and also finding out how everyone else was doing.  I constantly want to learn ways to get better, and am currently working towards a triathlon coaching qualification funded by the tri club.  This seems like a great group for getting loads of information and tips, and I look forward to being part of it.

2011-12-23 5:46 AM

I'd love to join this group as well. I am however, pressed for time until after the holidays so will hold off on my intro until then.

Happy holidays to all and I will be sure to check back in aew days.

2011-12-23 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3950865

User image

Master
Dallas
Akuma - 2011-12-22 9:45 PM

Gyday Ernesto, and Merry Christmas!

I would love to join the group also, my first Tri was back in 2005, my second in 2011, in between was aggressive cancer, just as aggressive chemo, next May will mark the "5 year" statistical landmark, important to some. Some info:

USERNAME/NAME: Akuma/Adam

STORY: Always a sportsman, and did my first Sprint tri in March 2005 after motivating workmates to do the same at age 29. A year later, on New Years Eve, I was diagnosed with cancer, now 4.5 years on, I am back to full strength (although not exactly the right body shape ), and catching the bug again. Accountability is my weakness, which is why something like this will be great. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kidlets, 6 and 1, work from home Dad for the last 3 years, wouldn't have it any other way!

CURRENT TRAINING: Speradic would be the best description. Have tried to follow plans, but have yet to find one that suits. Now tend to try to listen to the body to see what it needs, but certainly more guidance is needed. Terrible swimmer, reasonable runner, somewhere in the middle on the bike as training in that discipline has always been lacking due to fear of riding amongst the crazy Sydney traffic here in Australia.

2012 RACES: Olympic distance in May is the primary goal, the swim being the biggest obstacle. I have only done 2 sprints up to this point, with another 2 at least planned for the first 4 months of 2012 as a lead up to the goal race. Pretty much starting from scratch though.

2011 RACES: Only one, Sprint distance in March which marked my first since 2005. Plenty more planned for 2012, but am running out of time for the first of them in Feb 2012.

WEIGHTLOSS: Always seem to carry that extra 5kg, can lose and gain excess weight very quickly, definitely need to drop around 6kg for my goal race in May.

That's me in a nutshell, I hope I can join and gyday to the rest of the group.

Adam, welcome to the group. Incredible, tough battle the one you endured, huh? Makes us Ironmen look like winnies. You'll be the third Aussie! Regarding consistency, the best way to stay that way is to keep the workouts short (but every day). Once the body has gotten used to the frequency you should start incrementing the duration and intensity in those.

To make it simple, commit yourself to at least 30 minutes of easy run a day, or replace with a swim. If you do bike do it for an hour at least.

Another recommendation is to purchase "The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing" by Phil Maffettone, someone a few pages ago posted a link where you can get it for like two dollars or so.

Cheers Mate!

2011-12-23 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3951020

User image

Master
Dallas
Lobster74 - 2011-12-23 5:46 AM

I'd love to join this group as well. I am however, pressed for time until after the holidays so will hold off on my intro until then.

Happy holidays to all and I will be sure to check back in aew days.

You're the last one in, the group is officially closed. Post your bio though...
2011-12-23 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3950695

User image

Master
Dallas

scottpu

tnam - 2011-12-22 7:41 PM

JBacarella - 2011-12-23 6:27 AM

I am in the market for a new (used) bike. If you read my bio my current ride is a 1986 Raleigh Technium (top of the line 25 years ago). I have a few questions.

What are other people riding, and what do you like or dislike about your bike?

What brands and models are good reliable bikes?

What brands and models should I stay from?

Are there must have features and feature which are just bubble gum (tastes good but does not give you anything of real value)?

Jim

Jim,
I think you can get a reasonable entry level bike for $1000, and it would still seem like an upgrade from a 1986 model bike.  Whether you get your bike from a LBS or online, I recommend a trip to the LBS to be sure what size frame you need.  I'm partial to buying a bike at the LBS because of the extras they typically throw in like a discounted (or free) bike fitting, discounts on other items (helmets, pedals, etc), and free tune ups for as long as you own the bike.  My first bike was a brand new Trek 1200 for $800 in 2005.  After a year and a half and 2000+ miles later, I upgraded to a Scott Speedster S10 which I still have and have put almost 6000 miles on it.  As was mentioned earlier, now is probably a good time to shop for a bike when the bike shops have winter sales.  You can also try to catch a LBS trying to unload last year's models and you can often get a good deal then.  Things to consider are an aluminum frame with composite front forks, rear seat stays and seat post.  Definitely also get fitted for a saddle as that will be the primary thing that will determine the comfort of your ride.  As far components, I've always used Shimano but SRAM didn't exist for sale when I bought my current bike (as far as I know).  In general terms, Shimano, from high end to low end, goes Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105, Tiagra, Sora.  105 and Tiagra are good for an entry level bike (my first had 105 components).  MY current bike has Ultegra on it and I definitely can tell the difference in the shifting.  I'm not sure I'd pay the extra bucks to move up to Dura-Ace though as I've been told the difference isn't worth the cost.

As far as the ongoing thing between road bikes and tri bikes, I know folks have their own opinions about it.  My thinking is tri bikes have an advantage for those that can ride fast enough to benefit from the improved aerodynamics, which doesn't kick in much until you are going over 20 mph.  My best bike performance in a tri was an average of 18.3 mph for 56 miles, so I feel for me a tri bike wouldn't be worth the money.  Also if you ride lots of hils or will race on a hilly course, you might find a road bike with clip-on aero bars to be a better option (not to mention cheaper).  When I can average 20+ mph for races, then I'll think about getting a tri bike.  That's just my personal philosophy, not a suggested rule of thumb.

Just some thoughts...I'm open to hear what others (especially Ernesto) think about bikes. 

Scott, being as tall as you are having a road bike makes you a billboard (in aerodynamics) going into the wind. I think you should really look into a tri bike and a Retul fit. Let me guess... I think you'll buy a Scott! Tongue out That has probably been your biggest limiter, second one is that you need to join a team of cyclists/triathletes in your area and (with your road bike) hammer those hills. You'll be tough as nails next season.
2011-12-23 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3950924

User image

Master
Dallas
chapfallen - 2011-12-22 10:41 PM

Hi everyone.  I'd like to start by apologising for how long it's taken to introduce myself.  I've been lurking trying to catch up on posts, but I'm on night shift this week and struggling to find the time.  I've finally admitted defeat, and will have to read the last couple of pages over the weekend when I'm off...

Story: Around April 2010 my husband came home from work and told me that he'd always wanted to do a triathlon before his 30th birthday (which was July that year), and he'd found one to do at the end of June.  I started by asking what a triathlon involved... I was trying to get fit for my current job, and so decided to join him to help motivate myself to be active.  We did the first one (a sprint with a pool swim and an off-road bike section), and had a great time, but never had any intention of doing any more.

Later that year through a series of coincidences we decided to take part in a mini triathlon.  This was part of a local triathlon festival, with the mini in the morning (with a pool swim) and then sprint and olympic in the afternoon (with OWS).  This one was the real deal, with chip timing and everything.  The atmosphere, the people, everything about it was great.  And then we were hooked.  The plan was that August 2011 we would go back, but do the Olympic distance event.

We joined the local tri club and started swim and run training with them, joined BT and started logging training, and really we've never looked back.  The goals for 2011 were rather more fluid than I'd planned for (in a good way), and I achieved things that a year ago I wouldn't have believed I could do.  And so I'm even more hooked...

I don't consider myself to be a particularly competitive person.  My goals are always self improvement, rather than beating anyone else.  However, at the end of last year, after finishing the first two tri's slower than me, my husband came out with the memorable quote "there cannot be a world where you are faster than me".  This has motivated a season of friendly competition between the two of us.  Fortunately for our marriage we are actually quite well matched, and the final score for 2011 was 2 wins each, with a draw for the final event.

I live in the north of England, and work a job which involves shifts.  At the beginning of this year I thought that would make it harder to fit training in.  However, I've found that because I get more days off than most people I actually cope fairly well as long as I take a very flexible approach to my training plan.

Family status: I'm married, no kids.  We have a couple of cats and a dog, but they are in no way child substitutes.  We occasionally take the dog for runs (if I mention Barney on my training log that's who I'm refering to), but he's big and boisterous, which mostly means he slows us down, so if I want a decent run I go on my own.

??Current training: I started Jorge's bike plan at the beginning of November, along with running x3 , swimming x2 and strength training x2 per week.  It was going pretty well until a couple of weeks ago when things got really busy (there's quite a lot of overtime at work at the moment, and a few other things).  I finally admitted this weekend that I'm massively under-recovered and making myself ill.  So taking the long view, I've done very little this week to try to get caught up.  Once I'm feeling okay again I'm going to go back a couple of weeks on the bike plan and pick things up again.  When I'm in a routine it works okay, I just have to maintain that routine.

This year's races: This year I did a couple of sprints (took almost an hour off my first time), my first olympic was in June, and then I somehow got talked into a HIM in July.  It seemed like a ridiculous idea back in February, but I put in the training and had a great day.  Not fast (just under 6hr30min), but I finished it with the biggest sense of achievement. We also did the olympic we'd planned for in August (really slowly) and I did a HM in September.

2012 goals: So far the only thing I've entered is a HM in January.  My actual goal is IM France, but IM is expensive (especially in another country) and my husband is currently under threat of redundancy.  Until that's resolved we're not entering anything.  Hopefully we'll know fairly soon where he stands with that, and be able to start making real plans.

Weightloss: This is tricky one.  I could stand to lose a little weight (currently hovering around 80kg and would like to be 75kg), but it's not my biggest worry.  I've dropped from 92kg since this all started, and I think consistent training will continue to bring it down.  My diet could be better, but given all of the lifestyle constraints I have it could also be much worse.

Why I will make a good mentee: I was a member of another mentor group for the whole of 2011.  I found it really useful to get information from other people, and really motivational to know that people were checking my logs and also finding out how everyone else was doing.  I constantly want to learn ways to get better, and am currently working towards a triathlon coaching qualification funded by the tri club.  This seems like a great group for getting loads of information and tips, and I look forward to being part of it.

Rachel, good to have another Brit in the group, we're very International now. Smile I love your training log, very updated. Do you use some sort of GPS device? what I do is upload my workouts to Garmin Connect or trainingpeaks and post the link in my log, and most people in the previous thread did the same.

It is great for feedback!

Welcome aboard Rachel.

2011-12-23 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3951113

User image

Expert

I believe that I would like a tri bike. The old Raleigh is a road bike and my neck and back would kill me and arms would go numb when a rode it any distance. That and wanting to go faster were the reasons I put the aero bars on it, I really don't ride on anything that I would call hills. The highest might be 500 ft long at a 25% grade. The bigger issue I have is dealing with the wind. Most of my training rides are along Lake Huron, and I am fighting either a cross wind or headwind the entire ride.

I have concluded that I will probably buy an aluminum tri bike with a carbon fork. I just don't know what it good, and what is bad.

Thanks for the warning about the Kilo, there is always one for sale on ebay. I didn't know it they were the taurus of triathlon bikes (everyone has one) or if the owners are just trying to get unload them.

Jim

ps Ernesto, I never thanked you for including me in the group. So, Thank you, I'm really excited about having some oversight, direction and companionship.

2011-12-23 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3951137

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
JBacarella - 2011-12-23 8:56 AM

I believe that I would like a tri bike. The old Raleigh is a road bike and my neck and back would kill me and arms would go numb when a rode it any distance. That and wanting to go faster were the reasons I put the aero bars on it, I really don't ride on anything that I would call hills. The highest might be 500 ft long at a 25% grade. The bigger issue I have is dealing with the wind. Most of my training rides are along Lake Huron, and I am fighting either a cross wind or headwind the entire ride.

I have concluded that I will probably buy an aluminum tri bike with a carbon fork. I just don't know what it good, and what is bad.

Thanks for the warning about the Kilo, there is always one for sale on ebay. I didn't know it they were the taurus of triathlon bikes (everyone has one) or if the owners are just trying to get unload them.

Jim

ps Ernesto, I never thanked you for including me in the group. So, Thank you, I'm really excited about having some oversight, direction and companionship.

Jim:

Any bike in the wind can be tough to handle, but I would point out that a tri bike can be "twitchy" and tougher to control in general.  Whatever speed you may gain from the aero position will be lost if you need to be on the hoods to control the bike.  What's your target distance for racing?  Obviously, the aero advantages of a tri bike are less meaningful in shorter races.

Joe

2011-12-23 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3951154

User image

Expert

I am going to do my first HIM in 2012. The wind is just a training issue. As soon as I go a little inland there is little to no wind. It is easier for me to do my training rides along the lake. There are paved roads, wide shoulders and close to my house.

My weekday rides are about 15 miles long and my weekend ride is now 25+, with a goal of going the full 56 this summer prior to racing it. I also have a century ride planned for the end of July.

2011-12-23 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3951154

User image

Expert

There is a psychological edge to training in the wind, because it makes the race ride seem easy.

Edited by JBacarella 2011-12-23 8:29 AM
2011-12-23 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED

My philosophy on road vs tri bikes is as follows: If I continue to do only Sprint or Olympic distance Tri's I will likely continue to use a road bike.  I enjoy group rides with roadies and have clip-on aero's for races.  I recognize that I may give up some time to the guy on the Cervelo P3 with disc wheels but the economic outlay fo those seconds doesn't make sense at this point.  If I bridge up to HIM or IM distance then I believe I will look for the Tri bike for aero reasons and the ability to run off the bike easier.

Now if money wasn't an issue I would spend $10,000 and get a top of the line road and tri bikes.  Give me another handful of thousands of dollars and I would get a custom steel or titanium frame because that is cool.

Our sport is expensive and I think we have to be smart on how we spend.  If your goal is to do longer TRI's then get the tri bike now.

2011-12-23 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Looks like we have a great group here that is very active!  I LOVE IT.  I hope everyone has a Happy Holiday and Happy New Year. 

2011-12-23 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Happy holidays everyone!
2011-12-23 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Greetings everyone!  I second LOVING all the chatter on here!  

Went to the pool this morning.  Watched the Total Immersion video again and started with the first group of lessons on there.  Since Scott is on leave it was nice to be able to have him there to start the training with.  I will go back over the earlier posts and jot down all the tips that you all added.  Scott and I are hoping to get a run in later but we may have to go to the gym to get it done.  

For those of you that face harsh winters...  What type of gloves do you use? both for running and Cycling?  We are looking for some that are good for negative degree weather.  

Thanks

2011-12-23 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3951586

Veteran
jenputnam - 2011-12-23 12:24 PM

Greetings everyone!  I second LOVING all the chatter on here!  

Went to the pool this morning.  Watched the Total Immersion video again and started with the first group of lessons on there.  Since Scott is on leave it was nice to be able to have him there to start the training with.  I will go back over the earlier posts and jot down all the tips that you all added.  Scott and I are hoping to get a run in later but we may have to go to the gym to get it done.  

For those of you that face harsh winters...  What type of gloves do you use? both for running and Cycling?  We are looking for some that are good for negative degree weather.  

Thanks

I use the gloves that I originally bought for skate-skiing so they have wind blocker fabric for both cycling and running. I think that mine are marmot brand but I know you can get something similar at rei. My hands tend to get really really cold though so I often wear thin mittens (also with wind blocker fabric). I'm also a fan of the long sleeve ski shirts that have the thumb cut-out they help keep my hands warmer too. But no matter what I do, at the end of a really cold run my hands are bunched into balls ticked up in my jacket.
2011-12-23 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3951124

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
ernestov - 2011-12-23 1:46 PM
chapfallen - 2011-12-22 10:41 PM

Rachel, good to have another Brit in the group, we're very International now. Smile I love your training log, very updated. Do you use some sort of GPS device? what I do is upload my workouts to Garmin Connect or trainingpeaks and post the link in my log, and most people in the previous thread did the same.

It is great for feedback!

Welcome aboard Rachel.

I have a Garmin 305 which I use most of the time.  I like looking at my HR data and all the other stuff it collects.  I haven't really had chance to check out Garmin Connect.  I'll have a look over the next few days.  Thanks for the suggestion :-)

2011-12-23 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3951174

User image

Master
Dallas
JBacarella - 2011-12-23 8:26 AM

I am going to do my first HIM in 2012. The wind is just a training issue. As soon as I go a little inland there is little to no wind. It is easier for me to do my training rides along the lake. There are paved roads, wide shoulders and close to my house.

My weekday rides are about 15 miles long and my weekend ride is now 25+, with a goal of going the full 56 this summer prior to racing it. I also have a century ride planned for the end of July.

I suggest to you (and everybody in the group) to ride in groups. It is incredibly hard to go 50 miles on your own, and mentally exhausting if I may add. The group dynamics is fun, and when you're tired you sit in the slipstream of other people and get a break. To those planning long races, such as a HIM or full, not riding in groups could mean a REALLY BAD RACE.

I don't think I could put a 50+ miles ride by myself and I've already gone much, much longer than that. So before the spring begins (with the exception of my Aussie friends) I would do my best to find a training group. To those who battle heavy traffic, even better to be in a bunch, there's safety in numbers because motorists will see you better and you decrease the chances of being attacked by one of those crazy drivers who let their frustration out on the little guy on top of the bike. I've heard horror stories such as one guy that I know that was hit with a full beer can (tossed on purpose towards him) while riding alone in the Country.

2011-12-23 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

4 miles on the treadmill today and the knee started to act up.  Pretty sure it is just Runner's Knee - no more running for 2012.  

I threw in an extra swim set of 800 yds for some extra work, which got me to 200,000 yds for the year. 

Happy holidays to all!

2011-12-23 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Happy Holidays to the whole group from Bogota!

It looks like a lot of family members coming tomorrow and Sunday will most likely be a 'recovery day'. I will try to manage a 15k run in the morning at an easy pace, whatever it means at this altitude. The HR here is always 150+ and I doubt I could talk while running.

2011-12-23 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Thank you Elizabeth for the suggestion for gloves,  Scott purchased me some Asics but they are for moderate weather.  I tried doubling them with my Nike liners but the limited space on the Asics lead  to the feeling of my circulation being cut off.  I went to Dicks and they sell what I think you are talking about.  Scott and I also found a pair online that has a rating of -15 I think.  We have to now compare the two.  

Mark- Love the Picture!!!!!  My heart rate is higher here than L.A. So Ernesto recommended I find a steady rate and go with that.  I'm at a higher rate but it is steadily coming down..  1 beat at a time!

Scott is running at the gym right now, this is where we struggle...  With Guests tomorrow and 2 days of meals to prep and prepare for...  Kids home, It gets tough.  Scott didn't swim this morning because he was helping me so I wanted him to run tonight.  Besides..  I love him and the kids, not so sure the kitchen is the best place for him....  (and he will read this so I'm not hiding anything).  Tomorrow we will get in a bike on the Spinervals before reality strikes.  Not so sure about Sunday, as I cook enough for an Army!  

For Everyone---  Thank You!!  You all and all your advice have been a gift.  For those of you on the last forum, you saw my struggles and issues/injury and you motivated and inspired me to push through it.  For all of you new to this group...You picked the BEST!!!!  I am excited to be entering a new year with  you all.  

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!!!

2011-12-23 8:26 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Happy Holidays to all!

Next week my 3 yr old is home from school, so I will be staying home while my wife works...Don't feel too bad for her, I will be staying home but she gave me the task of Potty training my 3 yr old, so I am sure I will wish to be working by the third "accident".

But since I will be home, I am thinking I can squeeze some extra workouts in the afternoon, especially biking (need to get used to my new bike). Any advice to prevent fatigue/injuries/etc?

Now that I have my road bike I am planning to do a balance 2x training. For next week, should I just add a third session for each S/B/R, or just focus on biking and swimming (I need more help on those than in the run).

Samy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122