BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bigDH's accountability training a.k.a Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 94

2012-01-01 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3964992

User image

Regular
Bronx
Subject: RE: bigDH's accountability training -- closed -- good luck out there!
kevinbe - 2012-01-01 3:13 PM

I had to cancel the long run, but was able to get a speed workout in before going to in laws for New years party.  My goal was to run an 8 min pace, and I would have been happy doing 8:10's.  I ran 4.6 miles at a 7:45.  Happy about that.

On a side note, my wife has lost 105 lbs in a little over 2 years.  I am amazed.  she started at 283, and her goal is 155.  I'm trying to catch some of what she has.  We've both been motivated by the show the biggest Loser.  Ali Vincent got her going, and I have hugely been inspired by Tera Costa.  If your a fan of people, it's a great inspiring show.

Happy new years all. 

2012 goals:

finish windermere marathon in 3:30 or better.  May

finish Troika Tri HIM.  First Tri.  August

That's fantastic! I love hearing about people successfully changing their health around.

I just finished trying out my new trainer for the first time, 45 minutes in front of my (sad and about to miss out on the playoffs) Jets. Now I'm drinking a protein shake in front of said Jets; can't seem to tear myself away from the trainwreck long enough to shower. *SIGH*

2012-01-01 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3965002

User image

Champion
Calgary
katieduffy - 2012-01-01 1:19 PM

I had to cancel the long run, but was able to get a speed workout in before going to in laws for New years party.  My goal was to run an 8 min pace, and I would have been happy doing 8:10's.  I ran 4.6 miles at a 7:45.  Happy about that.

On a side note, my wife has lost 105 lbs in a little over 2 years.  I am amazed.  she started at 283, and her goal is 155.  I'm trying to catch some of what she has.  We've both been motivated by the show the biggest Loser.  Ali Vincent got her going, and I have hugely been inspired by Tera Costa.  If your a fan of people, it's a great inspiring show.

Happy new years all. 

2012 goals:

That's fantastic! I love hearing about people successfully changing their health around.

I just finished trying out my new trainer for the first time, 45 minutes in front of my (sad and about to miss out on the playoffs) Jets. Now I'm drinking a protein shake in front of said Jets; can't seem to tear myself away from the trainwreck long enough to shower. *SIGH*

oh you are talking nfl not nhl. I see.
2012-01-01 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
kevinbe - 2012-01-01 2:13 PM

Happy new years all. 

2012 goals:

Happy New Years Kevin:

Nice job on the run today.  Holidays make it difficult to get your workouts in so it's great that did a speed workout in this morning.

I'm also a huge fan of the biggest loser - ever since Gary almost won season one.  I loved this past season and wished that Anton had won.  Never the less - it inspires me to get out there.  And Tara is pretty hard core.

Good luck with your goals!

DQ

2012-01-01 3:56 PM

User image

Expert

Happy new years all. 

2012 goals:

Happy New Years Kevin:

Nice job on the run today.  Holidays make it difficult to get your workouts in so it's great that did a speed workout in this morning.

I'm also a huge fan of the biggest loser - ever since Gary almost won season one.  I loved this past season and wished that Anton had won.  Never the less - it inspires me to get out there.  And Tara is pretty hard core.

DQ

2012-01-01 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3965002

User image

Expert
katieduffy - 2012-01-01 2:19 PM

Happy new years all. 

2012 goals:

Katie - Kudos on hitting your new trainer.  How do you like it?  I borrowed one from a friend and I can't get the resistance just right.  Is yours pretty easy to use?

Sorry about your Jets (Sanchez is killing you guys) - but it could be worse.  You could be a Browns fan... I'm rooting for them to lose so they will get a better pick in next year's draft.

Have a great day!

DQ

2012-01-01 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3964263

User image

Expert
SportzVision - 2011-12-31 7:43 PM

New Year's Eve 5K race review:

• Never try anything new during a race - yes even a small 5K.  Wore some new, capri style, running pants that I received for Christmas. Good news, I am officially wearing a medium not a large...these were large and I had to hold them up the entire race....ooohhh maybe even a small!
  • No snow this year, but it was still cold out there.
  • I have always wanted to work so hard I threw up and I accomplished that this race. Strange goal I know but for a mental midget I was a giant! 
  • I don't think my time is much better than last year, maybe two minutes or so but I gave it my all!  
  • Learn from the elderly.  Some man, 20 + years my senior, dressed like he just got done feeding the cows, wearing wrangler jeans and a Carhart jacket left me in the dust. He said he runs a lot...ok I will run a lot.

Congrats on the race... and on having to exchange your new running pants for a smaller pair!  

2012-01-01 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Happy new years all. 

2012 goals:

SAAAAWWEEEETTT!!! Give your wife huge kudos for me....always inspiring to hear of weight loss done right and over time. Shows a lot determination and perserverance. And for you?  Way to go on getting something in today even if it wasn't what was planned...so easy to blow it all off if things don't go as planned!  You two are doing a great job!
2012-01-01 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3965128

User image

Regular
Bronx
Qua17 - 2012-01-01 5:03 PM
katieduffy - 2012-01-01 2:19 PM

Happy new years all. 

2012 goals:

Katie - Kudos on hitting your new trainer.  How do you like it?  I borrowed one from a friend and I can't get the resistance just right.  Is yours pretty easy to use?

Sorry about your Jets (Sanchez is killing you guys) - but it could be worse.  You could be a Browns fan... I'm rooting for them to lose so they will get a better pick in next year's draft.

Have a great day!

DQ

True dat! But Sanchez is ok when he has his head right; Schottenheimer's the bigger problem (and we never should have let Braylon Edwards go, either).

I like my trainer very much. I've never had another one to compare it to, but it seems fairly quiet and the resistance was working properly. It's a CycleOps Magneto. I'm especially grateful because I would have just bought myself a $100 used one from Craigslist or E-Bay, but my husband is super supportive and knows to get good stuff. Makes for a great start to the new year!

Hope everyone got a good jump on 2012 today!

2012-01-01 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3943114

User image

Champion
Calgary
So tomorrow is first Monday of 2012. Anyone have any plans? After another two days of continuous eating I have decided on a good run tomorrow. Not sure if it will be hard or long, but it is going to be a good one.

Gut it out this week guys.
2012-01-01 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3963858

User image

Veteran
Maryland
swimmindy - 2011-12-31 3:04 PM

"

Hey, running is the trickiest, ESPECIALLY if you are carrying some extra baggage,ESPECIALLY if you are a former swimmer and probably have great fitness in your lungs and heartwhihch will easily outpace your leg muscles/tendons/bones causing you to run faster than youshould leading to overuse injuries. So yeah, be very careful. I did the couch to 5k for 2 or 3 yearsbefore it stuck. But it is a solid program and if you continue to build on it could easily lead to 10ksand Half Marathons within a year. I don't know a lot about the programs offered here, but I cansee by the description that they are probably just enough to get you by. That is great. I mean thepoint of the beginner programs is to get people through the front door, develop good traininghabits, see if you like the sport (and for lots of people learn to swim). Just be careful about cuttingback on the running since you say it is your weakness. There is a saying, train your weakness raceyour stregnth. What scares you about the running?
"

I've had a couple knee surgeries while in college and was forced to stop running (the first was caused by running), so there's always the fear of re-injury.  You kind of hit it on the head with my leg muscles not keeping up with my lungs and my competitiveness. 

I had started a couch-to-10k program that was going good, but my schedule messed up and I never got back on it.  There's also those "i look like an idiot" thought that comes with walking/running intervals.  But that's something I've been working on.

I say, who cares what you look like when you're walking/running. As long as you're out there doing it, that's all that matters! Stay with it and have fun! Smile

2012-01-01 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3965441

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

BigDH - 2012-01-01 6:43 PM So tomorrow is first Monday of 2012. Anyone have any plans? After another two days of continuous eating I have decided on a good run tomorrow. Not sure if it will be hard or long, but it is going to be a good one.

As I sit drinking a beer after eating out at Boston pizza..... Will run tomorrow and play shinny!

Hold me to it!

2012-01-01 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Happy new years all. 

2012 goals:

I'm a BL fan also! And the new season starts this Tuesday! And yes, Tera Costa did Kona last year! How cool is that!

~Pauline

2012-01-01 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3965481

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
thor67 - 2012-01-02 6:03 AM

BigDH - 2012-01-01 6:43 PM So tomorrow is first Monday of 2012. Anyone have any plans? After another two days of continuous eating I have decided on a good run tomorrow. Not sure if it will be hard or long, but it is going to be a good one.

As I sit drinking a beer after eating out at Boston pizza..... Will run tomorrow and play shinny!

Hold me to it!

1hr swim tomorrow and 5.5 mile run.  I've been off on break (school teacher), and go back on Tuesday.  Kind of looking forward to the consistency of getting back to working out regularly before work again.  Looking forward to hearing about everyones new years workouts.

2012-01-01 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3965490

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
pdc33 - 2012-01-02 6:09 AM

Happy new years all. 

2012 goals:

I'm a BL fan also! And the new season starts this Tuesday! And yes, Tera Costa did Kona last year! How cool is that!

~Pauline

I'd heard about that, then I watched it on U tube the other night.  so inspiring.  Now she's running 2500 miles this season.  crazy.

2012-01-01 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3965118

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Qua17 - 2012-01-02 1:56 AM

Happy new years all. 

2012 goals:

Happy New Years Kevin:

DQ

Thanks DQ.  Same.

2012-01-01 11:02 PM

User image

Plan for Monday is to get back in the water and swim... will have to limit it to about 1000 yards, but it's better than nothing.  And I'm getting tired of not doing anything!

Tuesday I'm diving down to Miami and back so I'll be in the car for about 9 hours.  Haven't planned the rest of the week yet.

2012-01-02 3:48 AM

User image

Veteran

hey guys!
Just checking in.  Belated Happy New year!

Done all my work out this week.

Friday- 30mins run in ankle high snow

Saturday- 45mins bike ride

Sunday - 45mins easy run.

Tomorrow monday I have 30mins bike ride and swim!

29 week until lake placid!

My nutrition on saturday was ruined by cheesecake! but back on track for sunday.  I guess thats a balance!

2012-01-02 7:34 AM

User image

Monday -

Had to cut some work outs this last week... i dont remember it being so hard to find time when i did this before lol along wtih being amazed that my body aches daily.  I cant wait till i am out blasting out the miles with no pain and lethargy for the rest of the day.

Today - 1:00 trainer

Tues - 1:00 trainer or run

Wed 1:00 trainer

Thurs swim 1000/3 mi run

Fri  swim  1000/3 mi run

sat  most likely off

sunday 6/7 mile run

Have to say that i was great throught all the holidays but am frustrated that my wieght seems to hang at the same even with the increased activity.  My eating is all well controlled with a modified low carb/low cal... but cant seem to break through this stall

This morning i was 211

2012-01-02 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3965894

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
rn86314 - 2012-01-02 5:34 PM

Monday -

Had to cut some work outs this last week... i dont remember it being so hard to find time when i did this before lol along wtih being amazed that my body aches daily.  I cant wait till i am out blasting out the miles with no pain and lethargy for the rest of the day.

Thurs swim 1000/3 mi run

Fri  swim  1000/3 mi run

sat  most likely off

sunday 6/7 mile run

Have to say that i was great throught all the holidays but am frustrated that my wieght seems to hang at the same even with the increased activity.  My eating is all well controlled with a modified low carb/low cal... but cant seem to break through this stall

This morning i was 211

With these workouts, your body will adjust and the weight will go.  Keep up the good work.

2012-01-02 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Swam 2000 yds this morning followed by 5.5 mile run.  I always feel slow.  But it will come.  Tonights Hockey night, followed by rest day tomorrow.

2012-01-02 12:07 PM

User image

Got back in the water today.  1000 yds in 20 minutes, kept the strokes long and didn't push it.  Still don't have an inhaler or a doc's appt, everyone's off today! 

The scale was nicer to me this morning.  Managed to lose almost a pound over the New Year's weekend.  Back on my healthy "diet" meaning more veggies and less chocolate.

2012-01-02 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3965894

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
rn86314 - 2012-01-02 7:34 AM

Monday -

Thurs swim 1000/3 mi run

Fri  swim  1000/3 mi run

sat  most likely off

sunday 6/7 mile run

This morning i was 211

Don't be too discouraged with the numbers...see how you feel, how your clothes may fit differently, and look at the changes in your physique.  

I have weighed the same for two years, since starting triathloning.  However, I have gone down two sizes! My body looks different and I am much firmer overall.  

You are doing great and good luck!

2012-01-02 4:18 PM

DH,

I am on a maintaince plan and have been for 5 weeks. I haven't been doing much the past 10 day because of strep throat. I also am doing an overhaul of my swim stroke so focusing on technique more than distance or speed. I also got a garmin 405 for xmas so i am pumped to fianlly have HR, speed and distance info rather than guessing. I have not ever done the logging on BT so I will start entering that.

Laser

2012-01-02 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3966813

User image

Regular
Bronx
laser beam - 2012-01-02 5:18 PM

DH,

I am on a maintaince plan and have been for 5 weeks. I haven't been doing much the past 10 day because of strep throat. I also am doing an overhaul of my swim stroke so focusing on technique more than distance or speed. I also got a garmin 405 for xmas so i am pumped to fianlly have HR, speed and distance info rather than guessing. I have not ever done the logging on BT so I will start entering that.

Laser

Laser - strep? Ouch! Don't hurry back if you still need the rest!

I just finished my second ride on the new trainer, a 30 min TT for determining heart rate zones. My butt can tell I haven't been on the bike enough since last summer, LOL! This is my plan for the week (I would normally start today, but with the day off I'm a little skewed)

Today - Bike TT - done

Tuesday: short run, 20 - 30 min

Wed: swim plus weights (I've only been in the pool once since last season, so I'll have to ease back into that one)

Thu: short run - 30 min, and trainer - 45 - 60 min

Fri: 45 min run, maybe including a TT

Sat: 70 min run, probable swim, plus weights on whatever day I go to the pool

Sun: swim if not on Saturday, 60 min on trainer

Today I went with my husband to a good bike shop and picked up my birthday present, cycling shoes and pedals! I'm pretty excited and hope to become proficient (ie, not falling over every time I stop) by the time it gets nice out and I take my bike outside again. Hope you all had a good weekend and are ready to knock out those new 2012 workouts!

2012-01-02 6:14 PM
in reply to: #3965490

User image

Master
pdc33 - 2012-01-01 9:09 PM

Happy new years all. 

2012 goals:

~Pauline

Biggest Loser is awesome!  I missed the last couple season's but I'll have to start watching again this season...  it may be my show to watch while on the trainer.  It's definitely a very inspiring show.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bigDH's accountability training a.k.a Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society Rss Feed  

of 94