BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2012-01-19 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3998013

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-Closed
mkleach - 2012-01-18 3:50 PM

Interested to hear your thoughts on this with regards to swimming.

I was asking a friend who is a swimmer if she would help me learn to freestyle properly, because I feel like I'm drowning and can hardly do 100y before I am super anxious and exhausted and so revert to breaststroke. She suggested I swim with a snorkel in order to focus on learning the mechanics of the stroke properly and build endurance, and then worry about learning to breathe later. What do you all think of this idea? I think it sounds good, but I don't want to become dependent on a snorkel

My humble opinion is this. You would be better off with lessons than a snorkel. I see people in races swimming with a snorkel and I am always amazed that it is allowed in the rules book. I read somewhere thatit is actually harder with a snorkel due to the carbon monoxide staying in the snorkel and you are inhaling it (or something like that, I will try and find out the exact verbage) Swimming endurance is not something you can just have, it takes alot of swimming in the pool. According to your logs, you are only averaging 300 yards a workout, and that is assuming you swim every workout, so I would say, swim more, work on technique, but do not rely on any devices yet.

2012-01-19 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3999515

User image

Regular
Vancouver
jford2309 - 2012-01-19 9:04 AM

I was asking a friend who is a swimmer if she would help me learn to freestyle properly, because I feel like I'm drowning and can hardly do 100y before I am super anxious and exhausted and so revert to breaststroke. She suggested I swim with a snorkel in order to focus on learning the mechanics of the stroke properly and build endurance, and then worry about learning to breathe later. What do you all think of this idea? I think it sounds good, but I don't want to become dependent on a snorkel

My humble opinion is this. You would be better off with lessons than a snorkel. I see people in races swimming with a snorkel and I am always amazed that it is allowed in the rules book. I read somewhere thatit is actually harder with a snorkel due to the carbon monoxide staying in the snorkel and you are inhaling it (or something like that, I will try and find out the exact verbage) Swimming endurance is not something you can just have, it takes alot of swimming in the pool. According to your logs, you are only averaging 300 yards a workout, and that is assuming you swim every workout, so I would say, swim more, work on technique, but do not rely on any devices yet.

My two bits...I agree with James on this topic. To add to this, my swim coach also suggested that when I feel like I am floundering a bit in a work out I should flip over and do the back stroke. While doing the back stroke think hard about what your body is doing and use good form and relax your breathing. You are basically working the same muscle groups which means you are still getting a great workout!

2012-01-19 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3999678

User image

Peekskill, NY
Twink - 2012-01-19 1:17 PM

jford2309 - 2012-01-19 9:04 AM

My two bits...I agree with James on this topic. To add to this, my swim coach also suggested that when I feel like I am floundering a bit in a work out I should flip over and do the back stroke. While doing the back stroke think hard about what your body is doing and use good form and relax your breathing. You are basically working the same muscle groups which means you are still getting a great workout!

And now for my 2 bits...

Last May I started swimming laps. Oh sure, I felt I could bilateral breathe without any problem and felt great. The only issue was that i couldn't make it bast 100 yards without gasping, and feeling as if my chest would explode. i was frustrated beyond measure. I'd watch swimmers do laps for what seemed like forever, and noticed quite a few of them appeared to be in not that great of shape. Again, i was frustrated. So i bit the bullet and grabbed a swim coach, told her my tri plans and had a lesson/evaluation.

Heres what i got from her evaluation. my form seemd good, but I just needed to relax! And also, that nothing can take the place of good form and building yardage. So that's what i did, yard after yard. I'd follow a swimming set of 100, 100, 100 with a minute rest between each one, then build from there. I got better, but that wasn't good enough. I wanted to swim good, if not great, so I got another lesson. Meanwhile, I realizeed I could swim with some better form doing unilateral breathing (on my right side). I mentioned this to her, and she simply stated "as a priority, get your form first" bilateral breathing can impove later. Again, thats what i did, and added more yards. I got better! But i wanted more. I went and did an open water lesson with her and realized "wow this is pretty cool and diffrent", no black line or walls, and even a wet suit to keep me a float.

Ok folks Im almost done here..... sorry so long.

I started doing yards in the river, down the length of the boat club's breakwater (170 yards - no walls to stop me!). And with my wet suit I was unstoppable! but take the suit off and go back in the pool, I'd slow down again. But I was getting better. I mentioned this to another swimmer, and he suggested I try using a pull bouy. A what?.... he showed me and i tried it, and it felt like I had a wet suit on. I kept going, and before you know it, I was doing sets of 800s x3, then finally a I passed 2000 yards in one session. i did it! i felt like I mastered the stroke. the swim coach had helped to direct me, but the pull bouy got me were I wanted to be, or so I thought.

Last chapter... my first tri, 98 degrees, water temp over 84 degrees and guess what - NO WETSUITS PERMITTED, regardless. Oh crap, now what. Well, I was able to swim it without my wetsuit ok, but there was a bit of concern at first and I was greatfull the swim was only 500 yards. I vowed to not to be limited by the pull bouy or wet suit and have been doing my main set laps without it ever since. my yardage had increased and I again felt confident, (not to mention my shoulder seemed to get a break from the constant pulling). I do swim with my wetsuit and still like the pull bouy once in a while, but I'm not dependent on them.

lessons learned:

1. If your struggling, get some coaching or guidance
2. Good form first, then build yardage, bit by bit
3. It's ok to use adjuncts (like teh pull bouy), just dont become dependent on using them
4. get as much open water time as possible
5 RELAX - you wanted to do this, if you can make it fun, it will get easier.

My disclaimer... this worked for me. Being new to tris myself, if anyone finds anything of concern with what i said, please let me know.
2012-01-19 11:35 PM
in reply to: #3943811

User image

Regular
Las Vegas

I agree with the above comments, I think they are right on.

For me, I remember my first swim when I decided to start doing this. I thought hey swimming no big deal, I was a great swimmer when I was young. So after my first 50 yards when I was hanging onto the side of the pool, wondering why I could not breath and wondering what my wife and kids were going to do after my impending death. I was worried.  I  could not figure out how to breath. My progress was slow because I didn't know how to breath. Then someone mentioned that I should look straight up to the ceiling (sky if outside) when I took a breath, that way I would have plenty of time to get the air I needed and I won't swallow half the pool each time I tried to breath. It totally worked. I finally could breath and the swimming got a lot better and easier. Now I don't really think about breathing and I rarely have to look to the ceiling when breathing.

Another thing that really help me was the book "Total Immersion". I would highly recommend reading this book. It explains a lot and will make you a better swimmer. I checked it out at the library. I can easily do a 3000-4000m workout now and love it!  My 1st tri was a HIM and I did the 1.2 miles in 37mins, not bad for my first open water swim. My next tri was IM St. George and I went 1:11, which is not bad.

Anyway that's my advice for ya.

2012-01-19 11:36 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
I just realized my picture to the left is me exiting the swim at the Silverman my 1st tri!
2012-01-20 11:43 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

7 mile run today

24 mile bike/4 mile run tomorrow and rest on Sunday!

What are your plans for the weekend?

And also, let's be thinking of a team challenge for February!  Maybe we do an iron distance for our training (swim 2.4, bike 112, run 26) or something like that. Let's be creative!

Edited by jford2309 2012-01-20 11:45 AM

2012-01-20 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Jambango - that was a great post. Thanks!

I am really enjoying the BarryP's 3:2:1 running program (run 6 days a week, three runs short, 2 runs medium and 1 long run....so for me next week - it will be Monday 3 miles, Tuesday 6 miles, Wednesday 3 miles, Thursday 6 miles, Friday 3 miles, Saturday 9 miles all at a pace that you feel you could sustain for longer than the scheduled run). The short days are really easy to get done (I've only got to run a short distance, this is no problem), the medium days are doable because I know I am at a sustainable pace and the long days only happen once a week followed by a rest day. There is more to the program - but right now, I'm just building the base.

Week three of Paleo for Athletes is down on Saturday - only 9 weeks left until my first race. I really struggled this week. I ended up caving in to my craving (of yogurt/granola/blueberries) after thinking about it for 24 hours. I decided if I was that obsessed with it - I should just go ahead and have it. Interestingly enough, I did not feel very well after...I got a head ache and just felt kind of foggy mentally. Another tool for my toolbelt to keep me on track.

Good luck with your run James!

2012-01-20 6:28 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

tomorrow - soccer with 4-6 yr olds (lots of short sprints), possibly 2-3 mile jog early

I plan on walking / jogging with dog on Monday 2 miles, Tuesday 1.5 miles, Thurs 2 miles.

Friday I want to go 3 miles. 

Also I am looking at 5K after soccer season, end of Feb.

Signed up for "I'm losing it" promotion in town, which will run until June and has a kick-boxing workout once a week and weigh-ins (with photos).

I am not swimming for a while, so best I could do in Feb is a duathalon.  that would require pumping bike tires or better yet hitting the gym with my son.

2012-01-21 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3995760

User image

Champion
the colony texas

rusty dean - 2012-01-17 3:34 PM Hey Gang - Have some general nutrition questions. I have always read and heard that if you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight. I seem to be the exception to that rule. I used to be a yo-yo dieter and have lost weight on several occasions over the years. I workout 5-6 days a week, limit my intake, and still can't drop any weight. I am not severely overwieght, but I have some extra lbs. around the midsection that I just can't lose. Is it an age thing..50, or maybe what I eat. My wife says I consume too many products with artificial sweetner. Fiber bars, flavored water, meal replacement bars, etc. Does anyone have any facts about artificial sweetners and there effect on weight, she says they will actually make you gain weight. What types of food should I be consuming while training. Are there any nutrition plans on this site, or can anyone direct me to some? Thanks !

My first question is how did you determine what your resting Metabolic rate actually is... which is the amount of calories you actual burn in a day.   I was tested quite a few years ago and I was @ 3200cal a day.   after a illness I noticed I was gaining weight so I got retested to find out I was now at 2300 cals a day..   So while I thought I was eating less I really wasn't.  

I'd first look for registered dieticians in your area since they will usually do the test, { about ten mins of breathing into a small machine after fasting for x number of hours}   if you can't find an RD then there will most likely be a tri coach doing it. But since it's tri related expect to pay more for the same thing.   The RD's around my area charge apx fifty bucks for the test.   the tri coaches will start at around 100 and go up from there.   It's funny since the tri coaches will also claim to give nutritional advice but IMHO I'd rather get it from an actual RD

once you know what your daily intake actually is, then it's much easier to see if it's calories in vs out, or if you have something else going on

2012-01-21 7:23 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
First bike/run brick of the season and it succckkkkkeeeddddd. Still have a lot of work to do!
2012-01-21 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4003714

User image

Regular
Vancouver

jford2309 - 2012-01-21 5:23 PM First bike/run brick of the season and it succckkkkkeeeddddd. Still have a lot of work to do!

You go guy! Wooooooorkout! Laughing

2012-01-22 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4003714

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

jford2309 - 2012-01-20 8:23 PM First bike/run brick of the season and it succckkkkkeeeddddd. Still have a lot of work to do!

But the good news is *you did it*! Great job.

Signed up for two races this morning after yesterday's long run went off without any pain in my foot/ankle. I'm doing the Great Bay Half Marathon April 7 with a couple of friends and the Patriot HIM June 16. Now I'm ready to panic.

Any nutrition advice for the HIM? What's your favorite pre-race meal? What's worked for you in the past? For the run yesterday, I took a gel about 10 minutes before the start of the run and another 45 minutes into the run...seemed to work fine (with a couple of sips of water every 15 minutes). I just got some Honey Stinger Waffles on a friend's recommendation - I'm going to try them out today on my long bike.

Have a great day all!

2012-01-22 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4004146

User image

Champion
the colony texas
itsallrelative_Maine - 2012-01-22 7:49 AM

jford2309 - 2012-01-20 8:23 PM First bike/run brick of the season and it succckkkkkeeeddddd. Still have a lot of work to do!

But the good news is *you did it*! Great job.

Signed up for two races this morning after yesterday's long run went off without any pain in my foot/ankle. I'm doing the Great Bay Half Marathon April 7 with a couple of friends and the Patriot HIM June 16. Now I'm ready to panic.

Any nutrition advice for the HIM? What's your favorite pre-race meal? What's worked for you in the past? For the run yesterday, I took a gel about 10 minutes before the start of the run and another 45 minutes into the run...seemed to work fine (with a couple of sips of water every 15 minutes). I just got some Honey Stinger Waffles on a friend's recommendation - I'm going to try them out today on my long bike.

Have a great day all!

when we would have enough BT'er for a pre race meal, they would literally all laugh at me.. My favorite pre race meal is a bacon cheeseburger, with fries and a beer.   If I dont' have that I'll have a nice steak or fish with veggies.   If you eat right during the week and training you really don't need a special meal.. just find one that works..

like bacon cheeseburger, fries and beer

2012-01-23 11:23 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

So how was everyones wekend? Mine was awesome, had a great run on friday, a great bike/run brick on Sat and a wonderful nap on Sunday! I am in a recovery week this week and I can tell I am needing it!

And for pre-race meals, I have nothing set. post race meal is a steak!  Always!!!

2012-01-23 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4005937

User image

Champion
the colony texas
jford2309 - 2012-01-23 11:23 AM

So how was everyones wekend? Mine was awesome, had a great run on friday, a great bike/run brick on Sat and a wonderful nap on Sunday! I am in a recovery week this week and I can tell I am needing it!

And for pre-race meals, I have nothing set. post race meal is a steak!  Always!!!

gotta love a nice steak as a post race or recovery meal...

The weather in my part of texas was fantastic this weekend.   cooler in the morning but low 70's by afternoon.

Got a lot of stuff done around the house, dinner with friends, caught up on photo projects, a couple of runs and I even found the pool

2012-01-23 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4006081

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Mine was good.  I was finally home after a week in "isolation" due to my radiation procedure.  So it was nice to just be HOME.  Can't believe how that lifted the spirits.

Continue to do my P90x.  Getting stronger, even if I'm not losing any weight.  More flexible too.  So I guess I will take it.  What's nice, is I'm starting to miss s/b/r - so maybe the little "vacation" from the sport has helped with the motivation.

2012-01-23 6:23 PM

User image

I was in the pool everyday this weekend. I think everyone is right - just more time in the pool is helping both my stroke and to reduce my anxiety levels re swimming. And all the time in the pool seems to have been enough of a break for my knee to recover mostly.

So what is the deal with 'brick' workouts? I usually do my run directly after my swim followed by weights (evenings) simply because I can't make myself get up and to the gym in the morning. Should I be breaking these apart?

Edited by mkleach 2012-01-23 6:26 PM
2012-01-23 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4006937

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
mkleach - 2012-01-23 6:23 PM

I was in the pool everyday this weekend. I think everyone is right - just more time in the pool is helping both my stroke and to reduce my anxiety levels re swimming. And all the time in the pool seems to have been enough of a break for my knee to recover mostly.

So what is the deal with 'brick' workouts? I usually do my run directly after my swim followed by weights (evenings) simply because I can't make myself get up and to the gym in the morning. Should I be breaking these apart?

A brick workout is simply doing two or more workouts together. The most common brick I would say is the bike/run brick and a lot of people do these to simulate race conditions when you get off the bike and then start the run. Some swear by brick workouts and others hate them. I like to do them occasionally in order to help me get into race mode.

I think for everyone that says they like bricks, you can find another who says they are not needed.

2012-01-24 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4006937

User image

Champion
the colony texas
mkleach - 2012-01-23 6:23 PM

When I was a morning workout person, I always did a run/swim or swim/run workout, since it worked out best for me time wise.   Usually that's the biggest reason for multiple workouts (bricks) time constraints. Even non tri people who have never heard fo the team "brick" do them.      It is nice to have a workout where I do everything in order,  and there is a big mental benefit for doing a bike then run so you are used to the weird feeling you legs gets, but once you know how to deal with it, do what works best for your schedule is my opinion

Not sure if I'm in the not needed camp totally    but once you've done them for a couple a years you pretty much know what's going to happen and how you should react. One coach loved doing a workout where we'd bike for 10-15 min, do a transition, run for 5 min, tranistion back to the bike and keep alternating for about 90 min.  

I do like have a day where I'd take my bike to the pool, swim, run out to the parking lot, to bike some, then come back for a quick run, since it gets me motivated to race.

Edited by Gaarryy 2012-01-24 8:44 AM
2012-01-24 11:01 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
My weekend was great personally, but as far as training it was bad, really really bad. I had soccer games, basketball games with the kids, and since my boys are in Cub Scouts we worked on our pinewood derby cars. The race is on Wed. So I have been putting all of my free time into these little cars. It is fun and my boys are very excited. My oldest son took 2nd last year and we want to win this year. Anyway probably to much info, but I want to feel better about missing workouts. I missed yesterday and today. I will hit it tomorrow.
2012-01-25 9:02 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I was tied up in court almost all day yesterday, then I had a meeting after that, so I did not get around to everyones logs!  I will make the rounds today. Hope eveyone had a great weekend training.  I am in a recovery week, which is good for me. Yesterday I busted out my fastest 100 yd swim ever. I hit the 1:38 mark!  Granted it was just for one 100yd swim, but still made me happy!

2012-01-26 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4009943

User image

Veteran

Congrad on your PR in 100yd swim.   What I do with my 100yd time, I add :15 - :20 second and swim interval 5 x 100 and work myself up to 10 x 100 with that time.   After I get to 10 x 100, I'll do another time trial to see how much I improve.  It a great way to set goal and motivate myself to swimming.  

2012-01-26 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4012818

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Good on ya for getting into the pool and PRs!

I need to get back into it a bit.  BUT, I'm glad I have been doing the P90x.  I may not look much different, but MUCH stronger and more flexible.

Next week is a recovery week, so I may be doing a bit more s/b/r.  I was talking to my trainer, and he feels the strength training shouldn't hurt my cardio too much.  He's not a traithlete, so he could be wrong.  I'm sure it's going to impact it some.  It might be nice to find out next week.  Do my standard 10k run, 40k bike, and mile swim and see what the damage is.  But it's always a bit rough that first week getting back into it.

Good news is, now that I'm on my permanent medication, it SEEMS the weight is going in the right direction finally!

2012-01-26 3:27 PM

User image

Hey all - thanks for the words of wisdom on simply swimming more. I've been in the pool daily and I am starting to 'get it' more than before. I also scheduled a lesson for next week. 

It seems though that my best swimming is only coming at the very end of my workouts - I think I have to get tired in order to relax, and then the only thing to do is swim efficiently because I'm almost spent. Or maybe I just need to work on relaxing - I hated swim lessons as a kid and this is bring all the anxiety back. We had to do bob-ups for like 10 mins every lesson and I swear I was half-drowning the entire time Funny because my mom made me take the lessons because she didn't want me to drown!

2012-01-27 11:20 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I missed my first workout of my new plan yesterday. Sometimes life gets in the way of training, but on a good note, my sons basketball team that I am coaching won their first game!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 13