BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-02-02 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3947226

User image

Los Angeles
Subject: RE: Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us!
Ok..i ll play Paperboy...yesterday I did a 3.5 mile hill run, 1.2 mile swim and a 17 mile bike ride and I worked 10 hrs!!   Tonight...a brick of bike/run.

2012-02-02 5:26 PM

User image

Eastern Washington

Afternoon, group!!  This has been a good week for me; training wise.  For a non runner, I'm doing ok.  I am very happy with the running shoes I purchased and they have made a huge difference to my overall state of mind while on the treadmill.  Amazing how a pair of shoes can do that!  I have been riding the bike, too and then throwing in a full body workout every other day.  I feel very good and I look forward to getting into the gym every morning.  It used to be a struggle for me to get up and get going and it was so easy to talk myself into staying in bed, but now I don't waste any time getting a start on my day.

I read a couple of articles on this website about nutrition and inspiration and those were cool; really liked them.  I also registered for Bloomsday, which is a 12K run here in Spokane, WA.  I'm not planning on running it, as it will be my first Bloomsday ever (and I've lived here for over 15 years!!), but I'm going to walk it with some friends.  I'm hopeful that I'll have some good running time under my belt by then so that walking it won't be so challenging.

My eating has been really good and I've been drinking water ALL of the time.  If I don't have milk with a meal, I have water.  The only time I drank any pop was a couple of days ago and it was about 2 oz, so nothing too detrimental.  I haven't eaten a lot of sweets, either.  I do have a 100 calorie pack of cookies or something sweet in the afternoon, just to satisfy my sweet tooth, but that's it.  Food is my weakness, so I feel pretty good about controlling my eating habits.

External stress is at an all time high, but I feel that it is all manageable and controllable.  Just another day in this crazy thing called LIFE!!

Hope everyone has had a good week and tomorrow is Friday!!!

-Kristen

2012-02-02 6:14 PM

User image

Hattiesburg, MS

Hello all!

I just finished a 6.5 mile run in 58 mins.  The weather here in south MS has been hot.  70 deg.  The run today felt good and my HR was back to normal.  I did my first swim of the year yesterday and I still suck in the pool"some things never change".    I think this is going to be a fun group of people.  Thanks for the advice from my Sunday run.  I will post pics of my new bike later.  My wife and I took advantage of the deal Cervelo offered.  We are the prowd owners of two Cervelo P2's.

Michael

2012-02-02 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4024790

User image

New user

Paper Boy - 2012-02-02 6:51 AM  So what is your expected timne to finish this urban race? 

I put down 3 hours on the entry form, after a month of training I'm thinking closer (hopefully) to 2 hours......if not I'm a Clydesdale...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

2012-02-02 10:12 PM
in reply to: #4024797

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii
Paper Boy - 2012-02-02 1:57 AM

This morning felt much better, finished early w/ papers so off to the pool i went.  50 laps in 29:38.  Getting smoother every time, almost worked out breathing on both sides, still rolling my head way to much.....After reading many posts about swimming - good tip for me...look straight down.this really helps keep everything in line and can focus on rolling hips.  So many things to think about when swimming.

I hear you on the swimming and so many things to think about! I always start out feeling really great and flowing well....then as I get tired, things just seem to fall apart, my head is rolling all over, my arms are crossing my midline, my kick becomes non-existent...etc It is so technical:-)

2012-02-02 10:20 PM

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii

Great to read how everyone is doing! Nice to hear from everyone checking in

I have to admit, this has not been the best week for me. My daughter was sick so I missed a scheduled workout on monday. It's so funny how irritable I got after missing my first workout since I started this plan. Anyway, my swim on wednesday was good...still feeling strong. My run today after work was SOOO good! I actually made it through the 24 minutes and broke 2 miles for the first time in years! Remember, I'm a non runner with bad knees but they are holding up just fine! I'm so stoked!!!

Have a great friday everyone!! Keep posting how you all are doing, I enjoy reading everyone's training stories, they are very inspiring and motivating to me...Aloha! moana

2012-02-03 12:30 AM
in reply to: #4025604

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com

trigator01 - 2012-02-02 10:43 AM Hello, this group doesn't sy closed, is it?  I'd like to join a group.  If you're still open and I'm welcome, I'll introduce myself, if not, I understand.

Hey!

I didn't really see a point to closing it. You are in! Tell us about yourself, and start posting away! 

2012-02-03 12:32 AM

User image

Veteran
SWF, I bet you come in well under 2 hour. Just stick to your training. It will all fall into place!
2012-02-03 7:22 AM
in reply to: #4026686

User image

Marshall Michigan
SWF - 2012-02-02 9:45 PM

Paper Boy - 2012-02-02 6:51 AM  So what is your expected timne to finish this urban race? 

I put down 3 hours on the entry form, after a month of training I'm thinking closer (hopefully) to 2 hours......if not I'm a Clydesdale...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

2 hours..your a monster!  lol have a super weekend
2012-02-03 7:37 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Happy Friday!   Hope you all have a great weekend and train hard.

That is not what happen this morning, I call it "Phone it in workout" but my choice is stay in the car and finish papers in 80min.  Or get off by butt and ride around in the dark w/ a light, flasher, and giant bag of papers on my shoulder jump a few curbs, ride trough yards, run over rail road tracks w/ bike in hand, and just be happy for such a kickin part time job and finish in under 60 min.

That's what i did - sooooo glad i phoned it in.  Turned out to be a fun morning - and I evan screamed like a little girl...rabbit came flying out of a bush inches away from front tire!  I had to stop hard and and started talking to myself "man, what the" you know the talk when you think your alone in the early morning.                      Little did i know 2 employees from groc store where outside smokeing and had a very good laugh.

Welcome all of you newcomers - now this group is huge.  lots to read, thanks for the posts.

PB

2012-02-03 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4026359

User image

Marshall Michigan
seoulgirl39 - 2012-02-02 6:26 PM

Afternoon, group!!  This has been a good week for me; training wise.  For a non runner, I'm doing ok.  I am very happy with the running shoes I purchased and they have made a huge difference to my overall state of mind while on the treadmill.  Amazing how a pair of shoes can do that!  I have been riding the bike, too and then throwing in a full body workout every other day.  I feel very good and I look forward to getting into the gym every morning.  It used to be a struggle for me to get up and get going and it was so easy to talk myself into staying in bed, but now I don't waste any time getting a start on my day.

I read a couple of articles on this website about nutrition and inspiration and those were cool; really liked them.  I also registered for Bloomsday, which is a 12K run here in Spokane, WA.  I'm not planning on running it, as it will be my first Bloomsday ever (and I've lived here for over 15 years!!), but I'm going to walk it with some friends.  I'm hopeful that I'll have some good running time under my belt by then so that walking it won't be so challenging.

My eating has been really good and I've been drinking water ALL of the time.  If I don't have milk with a meal, I have water.  The only time I drank any pop was a couple of days ago and it was about 2 oz, so nothing too detrimental.  I haven't eaten a lot of sweets, either.  I do have a 100 calorie pack of cookies or something sweet in the afternoon, just to satisfy my sweet tooth, but that's it.  Food is my weakness, so I feel pretty good about controlling my eating habits.

External stress is at an all time high, but I feel that it is all manageable and controllable.  Just another day in this crazy thing called LIFE!!

Hope everyone has had a good week and tomorrow is Friday!!!

-Kristen

I do really well at my real job w/ eating, Good sized salad, little dressing, gernola bar nature valley, and so much water, glad I don't work at a desk to much I'm always in the bathroom....lol      When I get home is when the feasting starts, I really try but have not been able to work this out yet.  Still dropping weight couple pounds per week but it would go so much faster (get to race weight)if I could just eat like a human at home and not a starved piggy.  Work in progress.

l8r 

2012-02-03 3:14 PM

User image

New user

Other than some surgery a couple of years ago I don't think I've taken 4 days off from exercise in 7 or 8 years.......NOTE TO SELF....don't take 4 days off ever again, go for a walk, so some push-ups, air squats.....something.

This mornings trip to the gym was brutal it was as if I was working out in quicksand and then I got on the scale and BOOM a 5lb increase. Now could the increase be possibly related to the office Christmas Party and a couple of Philly Cheesesteak lunches and maybe a beer or two?

Swimming tomorrow and possibly some running.

2012-02-03 6:28 PM

User image

Veteran
La Crosse

Hey Gang

Sounds like everyone is hitting it good.  My "Indoor Ironman" started Feb 1.  I am slowly crossing off boxes on the tracking sheet on the wall of the YMCA.  Today helped.....2700yd swim followed by 1:45 of spin class.

Spent the next 2 1/2 hours picking out parts/components for the New Mountain Bike for the 2012 Season.  Pics to follow soon.

Hope to commute tomorrow and Sunday.

2012-02-04 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
I have started looking into a Mt. bike, not used to just having a road and tri bike. Which ones have you been considering?
2012-02-04 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4029297

User image

Veteran
La Crosse

jaclynembry - 2012-02-04 11:04 AM I have started looking into a Mt. bike, not used to just having a road and tri bike. Which ones have you been considering?

I raced the last 5 years on a Trek Top Fuel 98.  I broke it 3 times and they upgraded me to a Trek 9.9 full carbon.  Broke that last year.

This year I am switching over to Cat 2 "Single Speed".  I ended up finding a New-Old Stock of a Salsa SelmaSmile for about 1/2 off MSRP.  I had been looking to get a Specialized for this year, but they aren't producing any Single Speed specific frames in aluminum for the United States.

If you are looking for a geared bike, check out your local Specialized or Scott dealer.  Or fly over here and I'll take you to mine.

2012-02-04 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran

2012-02-04 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4029446

User image

New user

jaclynembry - 2012-02-04 1:34 PM Here's a good laugh. http://ajbaucco.com/2012/02/01/the-dos-and-donts-of-triathlon/[/QUO... that was funny.....I gotta say I laughed at the dont's more than the do's, especially #4 & #11.

2012-02-04 11:21 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Big workout today...am pooped.  I swam 1.7 miles today and ran 9.15.  good day...

as for mtn bikes, I have a Giant Anthem X 29er....i love it

Hope everyone is working out hard and having a nice weekend.   

2012-02-04 11:22 PM

User image

Los Angeles

sorry double post

Edited by bad91 2012-02-04 11:22 PM
2012-02-05 4:05 PM

User image

New user

I have a couple of swimming question, maybe more that a couple.

My sprint-tri has a 550 meter swim....

Right now I'm concentrating on being able to swim 550 without drowning, normally it's 250 meters freestyle and then a mix of breaststroke and free for the remainder of the 550... I continue this pattern for another 500-600 meters. I am pushing myself every session to increase the initial freestyle portion.

I see the local swim teams practicing with fins, would or do fins help with endurance?

Same goes with kick boards?

My wife is an ex-High School swimmer and she has suggested breathing every other stroke instead of every stroke....any validity to this for a first time sprint-tri?

2012-02-05 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4030662

User image

Veteran
La Crosse
SWF - 2012-02-05 4:05 PM

I have a couple of swimming question, maybe more that a couple.

My wife is an ex-High School swimmer and she has suggested breathing every other stroke instead of every stroke....any validity to this for a first time sprint-tri?

I breathe every-other stroke, otherwise I feel like I am hyperventilating.  I practice every 2 1/2 strokes to breathe on both sides, but usually I am a left sided breather.  I do try to extend my stroke count once a set.  If I am swimming sets of 5, my first lap I will breathe every 3rd stroke.  I have tried every 4th and every 5th stroke before too.  I believe this is suppose to help with your lung capacity.  It does make the lap feel faster.....

Edited by Monsterman96 2012-02-05 4:14 PM

2012-02-06 12:04 AM

User image

Veteran
SWF, I never made major gains swimming until I joined one of those teams. Even if you don't want to make the long term investment, you may want to see if you can swim with them once in a while. YOU WILL BE AMAZED! My warm up alone is 500 - 600 yards and it flies by no problem. 
2012-02-06 12:15 AM

User image

Veteran

In preparing for this season, what is the largest gain that you have made so far?

What area other area would you like to see similar results before your first race this season?

2012-02-06 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4030662

User image

Eastern Washington

SWF-I used to be a long distance swimmer in high school and try and swim every summer to keep my momentum going.  I am a single side breather and breathe every 4 strokes.  I'm right hand dominant and when I have tried breathing on both sides, I feel out of sorts; almost like my body has no control and it throws my rhythm off a lot.  I swim in clusters of 10, so it's easier for me to keep track of how many laps I have done but usually by the end of summer, I swim until I need to take a break and I can usually go about 20-30 laps at a time, by then.  I have found that swimming helps me sleep a lot better, too!!  I don't smoke or drink, at all, so swimming and hitting the gym just increases my lung capacity.  If I could swim year round, I would!!

This weekend was a play weekend and I ate a little more freely than I normally do.  But I didn't overdo it, at least, I think it could have been a lot worse.  I did make it into the gym both Sat and Sun, though and taking today off.  More running in store this week, too.  I had shin splints yesterday-anyone have any suggestions for those?? 

Have a great Monday, everyone!!

2012-02-06 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Sounds like it's time for you to move to So Cal. We swim in a heated outdoor pool 52 weeks a year!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us! Rss Feed  

of 19