BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2012-12-24 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4546529

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
strikyr - 2012-12-23 11:18 PM
bhargavs - 2012-12-23 10:12 PM

Good for you. Ugh. Any other frustrated giants fans in here? If only we knew which team was going to show up on any given day Embarassed

Bhargav I hate to disappoint but I am a life long Cowboys fan however I share your fustration and feel the way same every week I watch them. You never know which team is going to show up and they find more ways to disappoint me then I'd like to admit. At least both our teams still have a chance at the playoffs although I am keeping my expectations very low this way I won't be disappointed (again) if they don't make it.

Lifelong Dallas fan here as well.  Enjoying this season's ride even if I don't know half the defensive players names, and I'm a die hard!  I have no idea how they've been winning with the guys they are parading out there.  Duct tape and paper clips.

Edited by wbayek 2012-12-24 8:11 AM

2012-12-24 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4546489

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Jo63 - 2012-12-23 10:43 PM . I am trying to put a plan together and I have 3 plans I am trying to combine...a 12 week winter mantainenece, a 1/2 marathon and jorges winter cycling...so my question is Should I just focus on the 1/2marathon and the cylcling and throw in some swimmimg 2-3 times a week? I think if I spent the time training instead of sitting here trying to figure out a plan I would be way better off.

In short, yes.  Just get to work. Wink

But the longer answer would be, for you, don't over extend yourself.  You had some trying times last season with all of the training you were doing and I would not want you to head toward burn out again.  You've got 5.5 months to get ready for Syracuse so there is no need to rush. 

My suggestions:

• Get 3 bikes a week in on Jorge's plan and try to get the long ride in as one of them. 
  • Run 3x a week right now and slowly build the mileage up to what you would like to see.  
  • Swim twice a week and pick up the third one when you feel good about the amount of time you have available.  you can pick up a third swim a week as late as April and have plenty of time to get more volume in.
If you feel like you need more swimming then feel free to add that third one earlier but don't stress about it.  One of my concerns for you is the strength training you are adding right now.  If you continue to add all of the tri related work out's you may get stressed about all the time you have put into training and I don't want you to do that.  For the most part your training should be a stress reliever NOT a stress inducer.
2012-12-24 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4546377

User image

NH
My goals are still in formation, but these are the ones I have so far:
  1. Stay healthy.
  2. Complete another tri as a relay with my two oldest sons.
  3. Go under 2:32:30 at Timberman bike as the bike relay leg, with 2:30 as the "drug" goal.  (He must have been on drugs to do that).
  4. Watch Dirk finish Boston!
  5. Go 1 second under Matt's HIM! Cool

Edited by wbayek 2012-12-24 8:13 AM
2012-12-24 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4545901

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Opened
michgirlsk - 2012-12-23 11:52 AM
RunningYogini - 2012-12-23 1:13 AM

I found a used 2005 Felt S25 tri bike.  It's a size 54.  I looked at it today.  It's a solid bike.  It doesn't appear to have any problems.  It doesn't appear to have been crashed.  It shifts super smooth.  The wheels spin pretty good and only appear to be slightly out of true.  It seems to have all of the stock stuff.  Nothing more than behind the seat bottle holders are added on.  It still has the crappy stock saddle, too.

How much would you pay for this bike?  (Of course, I would take it to my friendly Felt dealer for a check up.)

A friend of mine (out of town) is looking for a tri bike and used is right up her alley.  What kind of measurements should she do on herself to help me figure out if this bike would fit her?

Tracy, obviously I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about bikes, but I have tried a couple of tri bikes.  How tall is your friend?  I would think she would have to be tall for a girl for a 54 to fit her well.  For me at ~5'3" I think I would want a size 48.

I am 5'1" and ride a 47. Talk about a little bike- it doesn't fit on the bike rack well either since the frame is so small. I have a beginner road bike and am looking to upgrade later this year. Due to my small frame, I will most likely have to invest in a new bike, smaller framed bikes are a little harder to come by. I actually had to go to a local bike shop and ride a few to realize that I needed the smallest frame bike out there. Maybe your friend can test ride a few bikes at a local bike shop so that she knows what will fit her best. Bike shop gurus are usually willing to help, especially if you end up bringing your bike there for tune ups, proper fitting, etc.
2012-12-24 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4546498

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jpbis26 - 2012-12-23 10:51 PM

Ok, goals

1. Exercise consistently. Run 3x a week, bike once a week, swim once a week. It's a lot less than what I used to do, but it's tons more than what I've been doing the past year. I'm going to force myself not to care how slow/ out of shape I am and just focus on being consistent. Yeah, I'm 30 lbs heavier & haven't trained in a year, so I'm not gonna be able to do what I used to. I'm telling myself to get over it & get out there. Which leads me to my next goal...

2. Lose 30 lbs. Just like the last goal, this is all about being consistent & planning. I'm going to keep reminding myself that my health is a priority.

3. Be happy with doing fewer races and shorter distances. Someday, I would love to see if I could finish an ironman. But now is not that time for me. When I burned out in Aug of 2011, I was training for an HIM. I tried my best to balance things, but it definately put a strain on my marriage. At this point in my life, the training volume required for longer distances is not realistic for me. As much as I would like to pursue the goal of longer distance racing, I need to accept that now is not the time and be happy with fewer races & shorter distances.

1. This is the wisest advice I could give anyone starting into endurance sports.  Jeff has a very succinct way of putting it into words but I'll try:
    We are athletes for the long term.  We should not get hung up on being faster, sooner becaue it is likely we will jeopardize our bodies and induce some injury recover that will essentially set us back.  Take your time and train slow and easy.  Fast will come, later maybe, but it will come and you won't have a list of injuries behind you.
  2. Wise again!  Our health should be our priority.  This is why I got into running and then into triathlon.  I wanted to be around a little longer than where my path was taking me several years ago.  We likely see some of these things begin to take a leading edge in our lives after some life changing events such as children being born, parents that develop health issues related to poor health habits, etc...........
  3. A couple of points here:
    a.)  You learn quickly grasshopper. Wink  Work within the boundaries that will keep you AND your family on track.  your family should be (okay, BETTER be) more important than training and racing (this applies to everyone).  You commit to the time you have available and not some dream that will induce more stress and drama within our family units.  It is likely that if you have small children you don't have the time to commit to training and racing IM's every year
    b.)  Placing an IM on your bucket list is a lofty goal and one that's wise to put off in your case.  This shows that you are willing to place other things at the forefront of your life.  Your role as a mother is far more important than that of an athlete.  Your children are never going to look back and say that their "mommy was never around because she was out riding her bike.........."  Being a mom is one of the most important jobs in the world and it is equal to that of being a dad.
Congratulations on well thought out goals.
2012-12-24 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4546603

User image

NH
kaehlin - 2012-12-24 6:23 AM

I'm getting motivated just reading the goals in this group - pretty impressive!  At this point, mine are pretty simple - one goal, to finish a sprint tri.  I'll probably pick a local rage in May / June.  To get there:

1) Swim - Focus on becoming comfortable in the water.  Roughly, get some instruction on form and make it to the pool 2-3 times per week through January, then consider joining a masters' swim group.  I know there are a couple of beginner swim programs on this site - I would appreciate any suggestions / guidance on books, plans, etc.

2) Get my run mileage up a bit. Part of me wants to target a half-mary in the spring, but I would need to really crank up the mileage, and I don't want to risk injury/ compromise goal #1.  I'll probably try to run local 5k / 10k consistently through the cold months.

3) Bike - 2-3 times per week, maybe try to incorporate one interval workout per week.  

Thoughts? 

I think this is a solid approach to get started. 

1) Dirk mentioned this site for swimming, and it's a great site a lot of us have used.  I will also add that I HIGHLY recommend either a seeing a coach, even if only for a few sessions, or get a video of yourself, since what we think we are doing in the water and what is actually happening can be VERY different.  I wouldn't necessarily get too much into long sessions until you know your form is at least adequate, since ingraining limiting technique can be harder to overcome.  I'm a little bit of a BT rebel on this, but that's my muted way of saying I'm not sure masters is the best option for a triathlete as a beginner or even intermediate swimmer.  Once you are strong in the water and fighting for podiums I would say go for it.

2) Agree on the running.  You have a solid history of running so you probably know how to approach this, but running can be trickier when it is part of a tri program as opposed to only a running plan.  In a general sense, my belief in tri training is that you only have so many candles to burn.  I find that I can handle a lot more intensity on the bike, and to keep runs almost all at a very easy pace but run frequently.  The tri run is only as good as the fitness you bring to it off the bike.

3) I'd say try to hit three bikes for, and at least one hard interval ride is a great idea, if not two or even all three.  Once the weather is ok, I'd try to get a longer ride in there too.  Since tri bike racing is a steady TT effort (as opposed to bike racing), I'd suggest something like 2 intervals at just under threshold, starting at 8 minutes and working up to 15, with 4 minutes rest between the intervals.  The intervals would come after a solid warm up of course.  The bike is far less dangerous than the run so it's easier to add intensity as long as you can recover from the work and hit the next workout.

2012-12-24 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4546691

User image

NH
DirkP - 2012-12-24 9:40 AM
jpbis26 - 2012-12-23 10:51 PM

Ok, goals

1. Exercise consistently. Run 3x a week, bike once a week, swim once a week. It's a lot less than what I used to do, but it's tons more than what I've been doing the past year. I'm going to force myself not to care how slow/ out of shape I am and just focus on being consistent. Yeah, I'm 30 lbs heavier & haven't trained in a year, so I'm not gonna be able to do what I used to. I'm telling myself to get over it & get out there. Which leads me to my next goal...

2. Lose 30 lbs. Just like the last goal, this is all about being consistent & planning. I'm going to keep reminding myself that my health is a priority.

3. Be happy with doing fewer races and shorter distances. Someday, I would love to see if I could finish an ironman. But now is not that time for me. When I burned out in Aug of 2011, I was training for an HIM. I tried my best to balance things, but it definately put a strain on my marriage. At this point in my life, the training volume required for longer distances is not realistic for me. As much as I would like to pursue the goal of longer distance racing, I need to accept that now is not the time and be happy with fewer races & shorter distances.

1. This is the wisest advice I could give anyone starting into endurance sports.  Jeff has a very succinct way of putting it into words but I'll try:
    We are athletes for the long term.  We should not get hung up on being faster, sooner becaue it is likely we will jeopardize our bodies and induce some injury recover that will essentially set us back.  Take your time and train slow and easy.  Fast will come, later maybe, but it will come and you won't have a list of injuries behind you.
  2. Wise again!  Our health should be our priority.  This is why I got into running and then into triathlon.  I wanted to be around a little longer than where my path was taking me several years ago.  We likely see some of these things begin to take a leading edge in our lives after some life changing events such as children being born, parents that develop health issues related to poor health habits, etc...........
  3. A couple of points here:
    a.)  You learn quickly grasshopper. Wink  Work within the boundaries that will keep you AND your family on track.  your family should be (okay, BETTER be) more important than training and racing (this applies to everyone).  You commit to the time you have available and not some dream that will induce more stress and drama within our family units.  It is likely that if you have small children you don't have the time to commit to training and racing IM's every year
    b.)  Placing an IM on your bucket list is a lofty goal and one that's wise to put off in your case.  This shows that you are willing to place other things at the forefront of your life.  Your role as a mother is far more important than that of an athlete.  Your children are never going to look back and say that their "mommy was never around because she was out riding her bike.........."  Being a mom is one of the most important jobs in the world and it is equal to that of being a dad.

Congratulations on well thought out goals.

You beat me to it Dirk!  I was just writing a very similar response.  We would all do well to read these goals over and over.   I really implore everyone to put this sport into perspective, but have fun and let it be an addition to (rather than a replacement for) the really important things in your life.

Taking a long term approach to fitness is so important, many of us have spent too long recovering from stupidity (re. injuries) and we hope to get you all to learn from advice rather than personal experience.  This is the reason I always list staying healthy as one of my top goals.  It's tough to reach any of your other goals if you're on the sidelines.

2012-12-24 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Well, I am having trouble keeping up with all the posts- I love it! I think I need to print off everyone's bio for an easy reference. I met up with Karl this morning and got in a swim workout! It's pretty awesome to have made a connection on BT, got into a mentor group and been able to meet up with another Asphault Junkie and get in a little training. Much thanks to Karl for showing me some IT band stretches- my right knee is starting to give me a little grief.

Okay, my 2012 goals:

1. SWIM: I have the distance to do a Sprint comfortably. I need to stop panicking during OWS and get better at siting. During last year's Sprints I was all over the place and had way too much adrenaline to calm down and just swim my own swim.

2. If I can get #1 done, I want to do an Olympic distance Tri, if not two this year; my ultimate goal is to do the Augusta HIM in 2014; not reasonable if I cannot calm down on the swim. I need to be calmer if I am going to swim with that many women.

3. RUN: I have built my base up to HM distance. I ran last Month's HM at 9:05 pace, too bad the course was cut short a whole mile. I want to set a PR in HM distance of 8:50 mile pace and get my run under 1:55:00; also want to keep my legs strong and healthy. Running is my favorite of the three disciplines.

4. BIKE: I have trouble getting time in on the bike- hoping to invest in a bike trainer and better bike and build my base over this year from current 22 miles to 40 miles. I am averaging 14-16mph on bike and want to bring that up 18 mph by the end of 2013.

5. I have started a local chapter of Moms RunThis Town running group and I want to focus on growing the group and hopefully get some group runs and group representation at local 5ks.

Note- In my second Sprint last year I took first in my age group, which has qualified me for Age Group Nationals in Olympic Distance, which is in Milwaukee in August 2013. I am hoping that this group will help give me some guidance on whether or not to go for it. Is this a rare opportunity? Will I qualify again and should I just wait till I have my swimming under better control? Or, will I regret if I don't try? I do have 8 months or so to work on my swim. Of course the cost to go there is the very first issue and excuse to not do it. I will definitely be pondering this issue over the next 6 weeks since registration opens 2.1.2013 and I am sure it will fill up fast.  

Edited by jenbmosley 2012-12-24 9:11 AM
2012-12-24 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4546584

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
pistuo - 2012-12-24 2:18 AM

Jo - Just prayed for Margie.  Please keep us updated!

My goals - finish a full IM

Thanks for all the congrats!  Baby girl is due March 15 and we are super excited.  Not sure when I'll sign up, but I have option to drop down to HIM.  I know the baby will rock our world... but am hoping a few things offset it.  First, my wife will cease working and become a stay at home mom.  Second, this year I get 3 weeks of replenishment leave for my job (in addition to my 4 weeks vacation).  If I can schedule the height of my training during those 3 weeks and scatter some vacation here and there, then I'm thinking I will have plenty of time to spend w/ family.  Third, I just want to finish so I will be doing a beginner training plan (not as many training hours as ppl who want to "race" or finish "MOP").  

Plan right now is to sign up as soon as I feel good about it.  Not only do I want to be sure this will work w/ new baby... I also want to feel good about whatever training plan I end up with - I want to feel confident that I can finish.  I hope this group helps me make the decision, so feel free to shoot me straight.  If you think I'm crazy to do this b/c of lack of training or new baby (even considering above circumstances), please shoot me straight.  Thanks everyone!

First off,  I told you, on a different site, I thought we were in an earlier group where the mentor kind of abandon us.  I did some checking and I was mistaken.  We had a pretty good mentor in tri808 (Jason) when you and I were in a group together.

I love the idea that your wife will change her job from full time ??? to full time mother.  I think I covered what I think of mothering in a previous post to Jackie a few minutes ago.  With you and fathering I already know you are aware of the importance of being a daddy.  My guess is that you are a daddy to more kids than you know through your calling.  Through our emails and phone conversations, facebook.............. I feel I don't have to provide any kind of lecture or discussion on being available to your wife and child/children.

The above being said, I feel this is the year for you to complete an IM.  This year will provide the opportunity to take the time with your wife and child and training time without having any bad repercussions of abandonment.  Waiting to sign up for B2B will also help you align with the importance of both family and training.  Great idea!

And just for everyone's knowledge, Will and I made a deeper connection in the mentor group a couple of years ago.  He has been a sounding board for me to get through a few difficult times and decisions since then.  A few phone calls facebook messages, emails and I was able to find great encouragement across half a country.  Thanks Will!

2012-12-24 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4546665

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
wbayek - 2012-12-24 9:11 AM My goals are still in formation, but these are the ones I have so far:
  1. Stay healthy.
  2. Complete another tri as a relay with my two oldest sons.
  3. Go under 2:32:30 at Timberman bike as the bike relay leg, with 2:30 as the "drug" goal.  (He must have been on drugs to do that).
  4. Watch Dirk finish Boston!
  5. Go 1 second under Matt's HIM! Cool

Goal 2 will be a cinch to get that "drug" goal under your belt.  My biggest concern is that I want to beat your bike goal in my next HIM and I don't know if that's possible.  My last race was 2:36:59, so I'll have a of of time to cut.

Goal 4............I hope that one comes to fruition myself!!!!  One of the things about Boston that makes me so bent on getting there is meeting you and JonathAn.

2012-12-24 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

One final post until i get my game on this morning. 

Jeff usually take the weekends away from the group, in case you were wondering where our fourth mentor was.  Jeff is extremely active within the group during the week and takes the weekends for family and training time.  Once he logs on though, HANG ON because he'll light you up with technical information that far exceeds my ability.  He has a way of being very articulate with the information he can throw out.

One thing is very certain, Jeff is going to fall over when he see's 9 or 10 pages of reading!  Hahahaha Jeff!

2012-12-24 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

I had the opportunity to meet up and swim with Jennifer today.  She is the 1st junkie I have met.  She can swim, and swim and swim and swim!!!   If I could swim like her, I'd be on Cloud 9!!! Glad she is in the group as she will be an asset to the Junkies. 

I'm inviting all the Junkies to come down to N. FL, we are having a 1/2 marathon and full marathon Feb 3 in Tallahassee and our 1st tri of the year March 30, RedHills, but it closes REAL fast, only allowing 300 people due to traffic control and permitting.

2012-12-24 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Got a swimming question.  Last year I was way too aggressive with my swimming and tried to go from 2 months off to 3000-4000 yard killer workouts 3x a week. Hurt my shoulder and it lingered almost the whole year.  What approach do you use to build your swimming volume?
2012-12-24 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4546730

User image

Bronze member
DirkP - 2012-12-24 9:15 AM

One final post until i get my game on this morning. 

Jeff usually take the weekends away from the group, in case you were wondering where our fourth mentor was.  Jeff is extremely active within the group during the week and takes the weekends for family and training time.  Once he logs on though, HANG ON because he'll light you up with technical information that far exceeds my ability.  He has a way of being very articulate with the information he can throw out.

One thing is very certain, Jeff is going to fall over when he see's 9 or 10 pages of reading!  Hahahaha Jeff!

I was thinking the same thing!

I might not be on much coming up for the next few days. I'm getting all the last minute details ready for our holiday celebration tonight and I didn't realize I had left so many little things until the last minute! Then we're off to visit with my family near St. Louis for a couple of days.

Just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

2012-12-24 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4546770

User image

Expert
MI

dmiller5 - 2012-12-24 10:44 AM Got a swimming question.  Last year I was way too aggressive with my swimming and tried to go from 2 months off to 3000-4000 yard killer workouts 3x a week. Hurt my shoulder and it lingered almost the whole year.  What approach do you use to build your swimming volume?

Aside from building volume gradually, I would say, make sure you have the correct form!  Actually, now I'm starting to experience some elbow irritation on my left arm, and I'm pretty sure it's from faulty form!! Undecided My approach to easing into swimming (I had taken about a month off, and really didn't swim all that much over the summer), was in the first month swim a few times a week but limit intensity, and in the following months I was thinking I would gradually increase volume and/or intensity.  Which means in the beginning I wasn't really doing much speedwork, except maybe a couple of 100s here and there.  But, now with this elbow thing cropping up, I'm thinking I might go down to swimming once a week just to be on the safe side, which would give me extra time for biking which has been lackluster for me... err... I feel like I only started to feel the elbow thing when I did start the harder effort swimming... so maybe I should go back to all easy... I also think from googling around I have discovered what may cause the elbow irritation.

2012-12-24 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4546584

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
pistuo - 2012-12-24 2:18 AM

Jo - Just prayed for Margie.  Please keep us updated!

My goals - finish a full IM

Thanks for all the congrats!  Baby girl is due March 15 and we are super excited.  Not sure when I'll sign up, but I have option to drop down to HIM.  I know the baby will rock our world... but am hoping a few things offset it.  First, my wife will cease working and become a stay at home mom.  Second, this year I get 3 weeks of replenishment leave for my job (in addition to my 4 weeks vacation).  If I can schedule the height of my training during those 3 weeks and scatter some vacation here and there, then I'm thinking I will have plenty of time to spend w/ family.  Third, I just want to finish so I will be doing a beginner training plan (not as many training hours as ppl who want to "race" or finish "MOP").  

Plan right now is to sign up as soon as I feel good about it.  Not only do I want to be sure this will work w/ new baby... I also want to feel good about whatever training plan I end up with - I want to feel confident that I can finish.  I hope this group helps me make the decision, so feel free to shoot me straight.  If you think I'm crazy to do this b/c of lack of training or new baby (even considering above circumstances), please shoot me straight.  Thanks everyone!

Will that is a loaded question, everybody in this group crazy! However you can definitely train for an IM without putting in tons of hours do it. I think you will probably want quality hours over quantity as well. I think alot of people get caught up in the number of hours needed to train to do and IM and wind up putting in a lot of junk miles. If you are just looking to finish you can do that with as little as 8 hours of training a week.

I have worked closely with my good friend and fellow BT'er who you may know Dream Chaser (aka Bobby). He's done 4 IM's and he has helped me put together a timeline and a plan for my run at the IM based on his knowledge and experience. I am going to be using a combination of the Don Fink Iron Fit training plans. There are three plans within Iron Fit, the just finish plan, the intermediate plan and the competitive plan. I will be using a combination of the intermediate and completitive plans. I would be more than happy to share that with you if it helps give you a better idea of figuring out what you need to do.

The other thing that I am doing is prioritizing what I feel I need to do in order to be successful. Since I'm doing Wisconsin my number 1 priority is to focus on the bike. The bike will make or break me there. The swim is a close second as a good fast and easy swim will set the tone for the rest of the race. Lastly I'm a runner already so that will take a back seat to the bike and swim but will not be neglected. I think I have a pretty well thought out plan I think it will be up to me to trust and execute it. Also since I don't know it all and am treding into unchartered territory I will be open to all advice and suggestions from the group and will of course share whatever I can with the group.

2012-12-24 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4546662

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
wbayek - 2012-12-24 9:06 AM
strikyr - 2012-12-23 11:18 PM
bhargavs - 2012-12-23 10:12 PM

Good for you. Ugh. Any other frustrated giants fans in here? If only we knew which team was going to show up on any given day Embarassed

Bhargav I hate to disappoint but I am a life long Cowboys fan however I share your fustration and feel the way same every week I watch them. You never know which team is going to show up and they find more ways to disappoint me then I'd like to admit. At least both our teams still have a chance at the playoffs although I am keeping my expectations very low this way I won't be disappointed (again) if they don't make it.

Lifelong Dallas fan here as well.  Enjoying this season's ride even if I don't know half the defensive players names, and I'm a die hard!  I have no idea how they've been winning with the guys they are parading out there.  Duct tape and paper clips.

Warren, agreed and we are still in this thing so let's hope for the best and maybe they'll surprise us in Washington next weekend.

2012-12-24 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4546740

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
KWDreamun - 2012-12-24 10:26 AM

I had the opportunity to meet up and swim with Jennifer today.  She is the 1st junkie I have met.  She can swim, and swim and swim and swim!!!   If I could swim like her, I'd be on Cloud 9!!! Glad she is in the group as she will be an asset to the Junkies. 

I'm inviting all the Junkies to come down to N. FL, we are having a 1/2 marathon and full marathon Feb 3 in Tallahassee and our 1st tri of the year March 30, RedHills, but it closes REAL fast, only allowing 300 people due to traffic control and permitting.

Karl and Jen that is awesome. I have had the great fortune of meeting other BT'ers and training with them especially doing my OWS with them and my prep training for my HIM last season. That wound up being tremendously helpful to me and hopefully it will be the same for you both.

Jen do you get nervous before you swim or is your issue just trying to get relaxed while you swim? I have an issue with both. Either I'm nervous before I go to the pool or I just can't get relaxed at times while swimming at the pool. The funny thing is when I do OWS I don't have any issues with that I am usually not nervous and pretty relaxed. Now before a race I am usually nervous but once I get going I settle in and I don't have problems with it.

It sounds like you can swim pretty well and if that is the case then doing the Olympic or the HIM should not be an issue for you. I struggled with this and had very little confidence in my swimming last season. I got together with other BT'ers and triathletes from a multisports club and started doing OWS with them. It greatly improved my confidence and swimming. I was able to complete both the Olympic and the HIM distances last season and I am not a what you would call a good swimmer although I am working to improve. I will say if I can do you certainly can too.

2012-12-24 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4546655

User image

New York
DirkP - 2012-12-24 8:59 AM
bhargavs - 2012-12-23 10:08 PM

I'd love to hear from your thoughts on it. 

1) Use the winter to improve the swim. Swim 4x a week. Get to 100 continuous yards by the end of Jan; and one continuous mile by April 15. I saw a few people point to this site (http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html) for a 6 week plan once you can get to 700 yards of almost continuous swimming.

2)  Complete the galloway couch to 10k training program by March 30th. I have no idea what my speed is going to be post my surgeries; so I don't have a time goal yet. 

3) Bike 2x a week during the winter. I've been quite active on the bike all year, so this is more on maintenance mode as I focus on the other two.

4) Harriman State Park Sprint tri on May 5; NYC tri on Jul 14

And most importantly, staying injury free and enjoying the journey every bit of the way!

1. Your swim goals are pretty strong.  I don't think to complete a sprint you would need to spend that much time in the pool as you get later into your training.  I suggest you keep with a 4 swims per week for January and then you could drop to 3 if you like.  I also suggest using the this site to help you develop proper form.  And also study Mr Swimsmooth to get a good idea of what you should look like and feel like in the water.  I have seen and read about the program that you are looking at and I think the intervals would be very helpful.  However, I think it best to make sure you get s solid form going now rather than developing bad habits that you will desire to break later. 
  2. The couch to 10k shouldn't be terribly challenging for you from a fitness perspective.  The challenge could be staying smart with your training.  Much of your training should be to develop the minor stabilizing muscles in your legs as well as the major muscles you need to develop.  Below are some exercises you can do to get the stability back that you had pre-op.  To strengthen your major muscles, glutes, quads, etc.  I suggest typical gym exercises such as leg presses, squats, and leg extensions.
    Stability exercises:
    a.)  The first part of this video is used to strengthen the lateral muscles while the second part for the primary muscles of the leg and knee.  It is likely you used these types of exercises already and they may not be required.  You'll have to be the judge
    b.This exercise was very demanding for me post op.  I remember thinking how easy this was going to be when the PT told me to do it for only 30 seconds.  I WAS WRONG!!  This exercise could be done with the assistance of others if you don't have a small trampoline to use to bounce the ball back and forth.  You can also use 2 small trampolines rather than a bosu ball.   For more difficulty you can balance on one foot (the weak one) and really get a great work out.  You can do this for varying lengths of time to make sure your leg is fatigued
    c.)  These final exercises will provide strength all around your knee.  They are advanced so proceed with caution.  The first exercise will be similar to the one above but this will provide strengthening for small and larger muscles but the larger focus on stabilizing muscles.  The second, will have a larger focus on the big muscles.  A word of caution here: Be sure to keep your the toes of your front foot in front of your knee during this exercise.  Your knee should NEVER pass beyond your toes.  (This applies for squats and leg presses too.)  This last exercise will get you ready for impacts of running and develop those shock absorption muscles a little further.
  3. 2x a week on the bike will keep you from losing fitness provided you complete some hard interval work.  It may also provide a few fitness gains if well thought out.  You may consider some shorter intervals (3-5) of 5-6 minutes at threshold with short recovery periods around one minute for one of the rides and then some long intervals of 12-15 minutes just below threshold.  Plan 1 one hour ride and another 1.5-2 hour long ride.
  4. You'll be ready to smoke the course come May 5!!!

Take your time with the running.  Since I don't know how strong your knee actually is, you'll need to proceed with caution.  If there are any kinds of painful tweaks when you are running you'll need to assess before going any farther.

In general, I think you have a decent plan in mind.  You have a long time to get ready for that first race, so fitness will not be a problem at all.

Thanks Dirk! Lots of great information in here and I'm going to try and fit it all into a weekly schedule. Btw, that trampoline exercise with the single leg on the bosu ball is a deceptive KILLER! No doubt about it.

I'm not sure how my knee is either. 2 days into the run; mostly easy 20-25 mins so far and it's held up OK with some icing. I'll keep you guys updated on it.

2012-12-24 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

Jen- if you've got the time and money, I say go for it!  

Also, Merry Christmas everyone!  I ran 10 miles this morning so I can eat whatever I want, right Dirk?  ha!

2012-12-24 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4546875

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
strikyr - 2012-12-24 1:04 PM
KWDreamun - 2012-12-24 10:26 AM

Karl and Jen that is awesome. I have had the great fortune of meeting other BT'ers and training with them especially doing my OWS with them and my prep training for my HIM last season. That wound up being tremendously helpful to me and hopefully it will be the same for you both.

Jen do you get nervous before you swim or is your issue just trying to get relaxed while you swim? I have an issue with both. Either I'm nervous before I go to the pool or I just can't get relaxed at times while swimming at the pool. The funny thing is when I do OWS I don't have any issues with that I am usually not nervous and pretty relaxed. Now before a race I am usually nervous but once I get going I settle in and I don't have problems with it.

It sounds like you can swim pretty well and if that is the case then doing the Olympic or the HIM should not be an issue for you. I struggled with this and had very little confidence in my swimming last season. I got together with other BT'ers and triathletes from a multisports club and started doing OWS with them. It greatly improved my confidence and swimming. I was able to complete both the Olympic and the HIM distances last season and I am not a what you would call a good swimmer although I am working to improve. I will say if I can do you certainly can too.

Tony-

I am totally fine during pool workouts. In fact - a little too relaxed. My husband stopped by the pool a couple months back and watched me swim (he was hitting the weights at the Y while I was swimming laps). He said that I look great, but that I am very slow. He's no expert so I am sure there are several things I can work on when it comes to form. That's when I started working on pulling faster and as I pull faster, I am digging less and noticing that I am swimming more efficiently.

I grew up  with a surfing family and spent many years body boarding in the Pacific Ocean and have even body surfed in Hawaii where beginners should not swim.

My first Sprint last year was the FIRST time I had ever swam in a lake. The weather was not cooperating - raining and windy.The women swam after all the men, including Clydes and any other special needs. I was doing great on the swim till I rounded the first buoy and had to swim by men that were struggling. There was one gentleman in particular that needed to be rescued and I had to swim by him - I remember him looking at me and begging for help - the lifeguard was about 25' away and making his way toward the swimmer. I knew I should not help the swimmer cause he would've just pulled me under - a lesson learned from years of swimming in the ocean.

That experience carried over into the next Sprint. The three months in between the tri's I spent way more time in the pool (4, sometimes 5x a week) and my biking suffered. IN the next Sprint, I really concentrated on staying clam, but somethin happened when I hit the water.... I panicked, got short of breath, couldn't control my breathing, started screaming at myself in my head as the women in the front of the pack got further and further away. Then I got mad at myself for getting mad about that - Sheesh - I can't believe the gamut of emotions I went through during those 15 minutes. I spent most of the swim breast stroke or on my back and never did think about relaxing one time.

Thanks for the support - I am hoping to do some OWS with Karl when the temps get warmer. This is something I NEED to get over if I am going to go for a longer distance.

Edited by jenbmosley 2012-12-24 4:27 PM

2012-12-24 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4547104

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
pistuo - 2012-12-24 4:49 PM

Jen- if you've got the time and money, I say go for it!  

Also, Merry Christmas everyone!  I ran 10 miles this morning so I can eat whatever I want, right Dirk?  ha!

Will -

Thanks. Looks like I might be calculating a budget in early January while I give it more consideration. Merry Christmas to you and all the Asphault Junkies as well! Hope you are eating just a little bit of everything tasty.

2012-12-24 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4547036

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
bhargavs - 2012-12-24 3:35 PM
DirkP - 2012-12-24 8:59 AM
bhargavs - 2012-12-23 10:08 PM

I'd love to hear from your thoughts on it. 

1) Use the winter to improve the swim. Swim 4x a week. Get to 100 continuous yards by the end of Jan; and one continuous mile by April 15. I saw a few people point to this site (http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html) for a 6 week plan once you can get to 700 yards of almost continuous swimming.

2)  Complete the galloway couch to 10k training program by March 30th. I have no idea what my speed is going to be post my surgeries; so I don't have a time goal yet. 

3) Bike 2x a week during the winter. I've been quite active on the bike all year, so this is more on maintenance mode as I focus on the other two.

4) Harriman State Park Sprint tri on May 5; NYC tri on Jul 14

And most importantly, staying injury free and enjoying the journey every bit of the way!

1. Your swim goals are pretty strong.  I don't think to complete a sprint you would need to spend that much time in the pool as you get later into your training.  I suggest you keep with a 4 swims per week for January and then you could drop to 3 if you like.  I also suggest using the this site to help you develop proper form.  And also study Mr Swimsmooth to get a good idea of what you should look like and feel like in the water.  I have seen and read about the program that you are looking at and I think the intervals would be very helpful.  However, I think it best to make sure you get s solid form going now rather than developing bad habits that you will desire to break later. 
  2. The couch to 10k shouldn't be terribly challenging for you from a fitness perspective.  The challenge could be staying smart with your training.  Much of your training should be to develop the minor stabilizing muscles in your legs as well as the major muscles you need to develop.  Below are some exercises you can do to get the stability back that you had pre-op.  To strengthen your major muscles, glutes, quads, etc.  I suggest typical gym exercises such as leg presses, squats, and leg extensions.
    Stability exercises:
    a.)  The first part of this video is used to strengthen the lateral muscles while the second part for the primary muscles of the leg and knee.  It is likely you used these types of exercises already and they may not be required.  You'll have to be the judge
    b.This exercise was very demanding for me post op.  I remember thinking how easy this was going to be when the PT told me to do it for only 30 seconds.  I WAS WRONG!!  This exercise could be done with the assistance of others if you don't have a small trampoline to use to bounce the ball back and forth.  You can also use 2 small trampolines rather than a bosu ball.   For more difficulty you can balance on one foot (the weak one) and really get a great work out.  You can do this for varying lengths of time to make sure your leg is fatigued
    c.)  These final exercises will provide strength all around your knee.  They are advanced so proceed with caution.  The first exercise will be similar to the one above but this will provide strengthening for small and larger muscles but the larger focus on stabilizing muscles.  The second, will have a larger focus on the big muscles.  A word of caution here: Be sure to keep your the toes of your front foot in front of your knee during this exercise.  Your knee should NEVER pass beyond your toes.  (This applies for squats and leg presses too.)  This last exercise will get you ready for impacts of running and develop those shock absorption muscles a little further.
  3. 2x a week on the bike will keep you from losing fitness provided you complete some hard interval work.  It may also provide a few fitness gains if well thought out.  You may consider some shorter intervals (3-5) of 5-6 minutes at threshold with short recovery periods around one minute for one of the rides and then some long intervals of 12-15 minutes just below threshold.  Plan 1 one hour ride and another 1.5-2 hour long ride.
  4. You'll be ready to smoke the course come May 5!!!

Take your time with the running.  Since I don't know how strong your knee actually is, you'll need to proceed with caution.  If there are any kinds of painful tweaks when you are running you'll need to assess before going any farther.

In general, I think you have a decent plan in mind.  You have a long time to get ready for that first race, so fitness will not be a problem at all.

Thanks Dirk! Lots of great information in here and I'm going to try and fit it all into a weekly schedule. Btw, that trampoline exercise with the single leg on the bosu ball is a deceptive KILLER! No doubt about it.

I'm not sure how my knee is either. 2 days into the run; mostly easy 20-25 mins so far and it's held up OK with some icing. I'll keep you guys updated on it.

Bhargavs-

I just wanted to mention one thing about swimming. I had my husband take videos of me in the pool a few times. I used my cell phone. He walked along the side of the pool and recorded me swimming. Then, we put the phone in an airtight Ziploc bag and he swam next to me and recorded me under water. I cannot tell you how helpful it is to see yourself swim. I highly recommend it. I think you can post a video of you swimming on BT and have your form analyzed as well. Can anyone else confirm?

2012-12-24 4:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Yup people do that all the time and seem to get some good feedback from the more fish-like BT'ers
2012-12-24 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4547126

User image

New York
jenbmosley - 2012-12-24 5:23 PM

Bhargavs-

I just wanted to mention one thing about swimming. I had my husband take videos of me in the pool a few times. I used my cell phone. He walked along the side of the pool and recorded me swimming. Then, we put the phone in an airtight Ziploc bag and he swam next to me and recorded me under water. I cannot tell you how helpful it is to see yourself swim. I highly recommend it. I think you can post a video of you swimming on BT and have your form analyzed as well. Can anyone else confirm?

That's a great idea, makes a lot of sense. Thanks Jen and David.

And, Merry Christmas to all of you! Hope you have a great time with your families. I'll be going over to my friend's place in Jersey to have some awesome food cooked by her mom Smile

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119