BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-01 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4556149

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED

Omahabritt - 2013-01-01 9:49 AM Happy New Year everyone!! Ken, good luck with your race!! Trying to start off the year right & posting my goals for Jan... 1.) Get back in the pool! (2-3x per week) 2.) Settle on a training plan for IM Wisconsin & pre Ironman (I really do best with a structured plan) 3.) Get a bike trainer (not a person) 4.) Detox food wise from the holidays 5.) Start logging my training in my BT training log (last year I only did it for half the year, I didn't stop working out, it just looks like I did. I really would have liked to see what my numbers were for the entire year) 6.) Adjust to Eastern Time Zone for the group. Headed out for a run later when it warms up a bit (it's only 3 right now!) First question...have any of you done the BT Ironman training plans? I did one for my HIM last year & was well prepared with a few modifications (suggested by BTers). Was hoping to do the same this year.

Good goals Ali!

I used the BT plan for my first in 2008, then for FL in 2010 I used the advanced plan for the bike and the swim and a modified Pfitzinger marathon plan for the run.  I was more than ready for both!  If you have any questions or concerns, run them by us!  Also, the bike program is great for off season or any of the off season plans.  You should pick an IM plan first then look at the first couple of weeks and find an off season plan that gets you close to that volume at the end.  The focused plans allow you to work on your weakness without giving up the other 2 sports!

There are a lot of good deals right now for trainers!  I would highly recommend either the CycleOps Fluid 2 or the Kurt Kinetic equivalent. 

Edited by kenj 2013-01-01 2:12 PM

2013-01-01 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4556440

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! OPEN
gadgetlaw - 2013-01-01 1:01 PM

NAME:  gadgetlaw/Karen

STORY: I’m 45 and live in Greensburg, PA (about 30 miles from Pittsburgh).  I have been doing triathlons for 5 years, since I turned 40 and decided to do something exciting in my life!!  I constantly feel like I have so much to learn!  I was never an athletic kid, or adult for that matter, so starting triathlon was a huge deal for me.   I never thought I would enjoy the workouts and the racing, but I can honestly say that I have so much fun when I am a sweaty, stinky mess!

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married to my wonderfully supportive husband Tom for going on 12 years.  We do not have kids, but have a crazy cat named Higgins and a retired greyhound named Magnum.

CURRENT TRAINING: Wow, I guess I have to admit that it is nothing!  I have struggled all year with plantar fasciitis.  It has felt horrible at times and better at times, but has never gone away.  I started following a Jeff Galloway running plan and found that by doing that I could at least finish most of my long runs.  After my last race of the season in October, I started going to physical therapy which I should be finishing soon.  My PTs first instruction to me was no running!  That was hard, but I was allowed to run for 15 minutes on the treadmill this morning.  I never thought I would be so excited about a 15 minute run, but it was great.  Still not totally pain free, but much better!  I have been doing a little biking on the trainer and hitting the pool a few mornings.  When I am actually training, I am anal about posting my workouts, so you will be able to see them soon.  I will be focusing on running until after May, with hopefully 2x/week of biking and swimming.  After my marathon, I will probably be working with a local coach and doing whatever she tells me.  I really like not worrying about what to do when and have relied on my coach to successfully see me through my 2 HIMs.

2012 RACES: I did a half marathon in the spring, a couple of sprints, and the Beach2Battleship Half in October.  There were a few 5ks and 10ks and a charity bike ride thrown in there too.

2013 RACES:  I am hoping for a full marathon in May (my first) if my foot cooperates.  My usual sprints and short running races, and the Beach2Battleship Full (again, my first) in October.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I raced the B2B Half this year as exactly half the person that I used to be!!  That was quite an accomplishment for me and I felt so fit and energized through the entire race.  Since I have not been training, and with the holidays, I have gained some weight back.  My goal is to lose that added weight well before my marathon in May. 

ramiedd - 2012-12-31 10:46 PM Just pulled the plug and registered for the beach to battleship full distance 2013 race....

ME TOO!!  Had to get in before the rates went up.  Let me tell you, I sat here for a while gorging in self-doubt before I actually hit that pay button.  Please tell me that we are not crazy?

My goals for January are pretty simple.  Slowly ease back into running and eat right!

Hope everyone is enjoying the new year!  Now to go back and learn who everybody is.

Karen

Hey Karen - I feel your pain with the plantar fasciitis!  This time last year I was in a walking boot to try and get over it.  Had it for about 5 months severely - still can occasionally feel it.  Let me know if you have any questions on treatment - I tried everything except accupuncture and surgery. - Robin

2013-01-01 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4556166

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
jennifer65 - 2013-01-01 10:12 AM

Happy New Year everyone.

I managed to stay up till 1 am - I'm not such a great athlete.

I did manage to get out on my bike this morning (ie, i got up - put may gear on and then fannied about for 3 hours before getting out the door).

I only did about 9 miles, and had to get off and push twice - but is is a nice little loop around where I live so I thought that if I put this down as a marker then if I do it regularly I will know I'm improving when I get faster and don't have to stop cycling. I read on the forum somewhere someone advising a mum who can only train for maybe up to 1 and half hours daily that doing that much consistently will get you to the same place as less longer efforts. I hope this is right.

I haven't used the bt plan for HIM. They look a little complicated to me - but I'll have another look.

Jennifer

ps I think EST is over rated.  Why don't you all come and join me in GMT?

Well, if you were on EST you only stayed up to about 8 which would make you a good athlete!! Cool

I think, with our help, we can get you through a BT plan.  Really they aren't as complicated as they appear at first.  Ask any questions when you start looking at them Jennifer!

2013-01-01 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4556213

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
bdenehy - 2013-01-01 10:47 AM

I took a look at 2012 training and had some thoughts about going forward:

2012 totals
Bike:216h 07m 05s  - 3291.12 Mi
Run:191h 21m 59s  - 1300.81 Mi
Swim:104h 55m 47s  - 251200.1 Yd

Bike - I think I'll do less mileage in 2013.  A lot of these rides were long slow IM training ride.  I'd rather see some more intensity in 2013, hopefully getting dropped later and later in group rides.

Run - This will go up in 2013 from marathon training.

Swim - I don't know, it seems like as much swimming as I'll be doing but I'm not getting much faster.  At least I'm starting to like swimming, so if I don't get faster, I'll live.

Good year Bill and the goals are good as well!

A little advice on Peasantman training, find a hill or 3 for your bike rides!

2013-01-01 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4556149

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Omahabritt - 2013-01-01 8:49 AM Happy New Year everyone!! Ken, good luck with your race!! Trying to start off the year right & posting my goals for Jan... 1.) Get back in the pool! (2-3x per week) 2.) Settle on a training plan for IM Wisconsin & pre Ironman (I really do best with a structured plan) 3.) Get a bike trainer (not a person) 4.) Detox food wise from the holidays 5.) Start logging my training in my BT training log (last year I only did it for half the year, I didn't stop working out, it just looks like I did. I really would have liked to see what my numbers were for the entire year) 6.) Adjust to Eastern Time Zone for the group. Headed out for a run later when it warms up a bit (it's only 3 right now!) First question...have any of you done the BT Ironman training plans? I did one for my HIM last year & was well prepared with a few modifications (suggested by BTers). Was hoping to do the same this year.

Can't help with the Ironman training plan - but am curious what modifications you added to the HIM training plan?-Did you add extra bikes or runs?  I am using it along with a Fitzgerald HIM training plan from training peaks.

2013-01-01 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4556440

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! OPEN
gadgetlaw - 2013-01-01 2:01 PM

NAME:  gadgetlaw/Karen

STORY: I’m 45 and live in Greensburg, PA (about 30 miles from Pittsburgh).  I have been doing triathlons for 5 years, since I turned 40 and decided to do something exciting in my life!!  I constantly feel like I have so much to learn!  I was never an athletic kid, or adult for that matter, so starting triathlon was a huge deal for me.   I never thought I would enjoy the workouts and the racing, but I can honestly say that I have so much fun when I am a sweaty, stinky mess!

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married to my wonderfully supportive husband Tom for going on 12 years.  We do not have kids, but have a crazy cat named Higgins and a retired greyhound named Magnum.

CURRENT TRAINING: Wow, I guess I have to admit that it is nothing!  I have struggled all year with plantar fasciitis.  It has felt horrible at times and better at times, but has never gone away.  I started following a Jeff Galloway running plan and found that by doing that I could at least finish most of my long runs.  After my last race of the season in October, I started going to physical therapy which I should be finishing soon.  My PTs first instruction to me was no running!  That was hard, but I was allowed to run for 15 minutes on the treadmill this morning.  I never thought I would be so excited about a 15 minute run, but it was great.  Still not totally pain free, but much better!  I have been doing a little biking on the trainer and hitting the pool a few mornings.  When I am actually training, I am anal about posting my workouts, so you will be able to see them soon.  I will be focusing on running until after May, with hopefully 2x/week of biking and swimming.  After my marathon, I will probably be working with a local coach and doing whatever she tells me.  I really like not worrying about what to do when and have relied on my coach to successfully see me through my 2 HIMs.

2012 RACES: I did a half marathon in the spring, a couple of sprints, and the Beach2Battleship Half in October.  There were a few 5ks and 10ks and a charity bike ride thrown in there too.

2013 RACES:  I am hoping for a full marathon in May (my first) if my foot cooperates.  My usual sprints and short running races, and the Beach2Battleship Full (again, my first) in October.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I raced the B2B Half this year as exactly half the person that I used to be!!  That was quite an accomplishment for me and I felt so fit and energized through the entire race.  Since I have not been training, and with the holidays, I have gained some weight back.  My goal is to lose that added weight well before my marathon in May. 

ramiedd - 2012-12-31 10:46 PM Just pulled the plug and registered for the beach to battleship full distance 2013 race....

ME TOO!!  Had to get in before the rates went up.  Let me tell you, I sat here for a while gorging in self-doubt before I actually hit that pay button.  Please tell me that we are not crazy?

My goals for January are pretty simple.  Slowly ease back into running and eat right!

Hope everyone is enjoying the new year!  Now to go back and learn who everybody is.

Karen

Thanks for the bio Karen! 

Robin can give some advice on the PF I'm sure! 

For the marathon training, I would suggest maybe putting some aqua jogging in, especially as you ramp up your volume.  I think this may help you avoid any PF issues as your volume ramps up!

I'm a huge (and disappointed this year) Steelers fan! 

2013-01-01 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I had a good run this morning.  I don't race these too hard as they aren't important races in the grand scheme of my season, but they force me to get outside when I don't like too.  My plan has me starting these at a slow pace, then after a couple of miles ramping up to upper Z2 to low Z3.  Worked out good this morning, other than the snow made it tougher to get any traction.

My main goals, beside following my plan, are to first get the 10 - 15 pounds I put on in the off season back off, but this will probably take February too!  After that, I want to race at an even lower weight this season since I was never really that low to begin with!

2013-01-01 3:35 PM

User image

Good afternoon all, and Happy New Year.

I managed to make it to 9:35pm last night before I went to bed. I was up at 5:15am for my morning swim then I had another swim with my coach at 9:30am. This one was a video session. When you see yourself on the iPad you really notice what you could be doing better. I definitely have a lot to work on as far as my technique. I have never had formal lessons, so I am impressed that I don't just sink.

I went for an easy 7.0 mile run today. I used my new Garmin 610 (for the first time) that I gave my self for Christmas. I was a good boy this year, I deserved it.

My resolutions for the year are: Enjoy the training and journey towards better health and the Ironman. I really would like to find a signficant other to share the journey with as well. As far as January goes, I want to make it entire month and not miss a workout. I also want the NHL to resolve their differences so that I can go back to enjoying my Winnipeg Jets.

2013-01-01 3:53 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Started the day with a short run with my husband and son. By short, I mean 1 mile My son is training for his first 5K and also losing some pounds he put on the last few years. Today was an off run day for me so it was fun to tag along.

We hosted our group of friends for a New Year's dinner last night. Good food, lots to drink and fun times. Today has been a lot of de-Christmasing, football and snacking. Last day of the holidays, then back to healthy eating.

I paid a quick visit to the barn to check my horses. After a week off, mostly because of rainy weather, they go back to an exercise routine tomorrow too When I got home we took our 5 week old foster puppies outside for the first time. I foster for our local animal shelter. All the fun of puppies then I get to send them back to find a home with someone else.

January goals:

Plan out my training plan to get me to my first few races. I'm going to use a combination of BT plans with some modifications.

Get back to masters swim at least twice a week which will force me to get up at 5:00 a few morning a week. After IM training I loved not getting up early during December.

Restock healthy food in the house.

Cut back on sugar again to get some control of my cravings. I LOVE candy.

That should give me plenty to do!

2013-01-01 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

2013 Goals.

- First stand alone marathon in April.  No idea what to expect time-wise without the 2.4 mile swim and 112 bike as a warm up.  New coach is cutting lots of time already so we shall see.

- Do well at the short courses my club takes part in.  Bragging rights.

- Boost volume on the bike, swim and run.

- Kick at IM Wisconsin.  It would be great to beat 13:30.  

- Add the USAT coaching certificate to the ITCA I have and start coaching in 2014 while doing shorter course stuff myself. 

2013-01-01 4:39 PM

User image

Peekskill, NY
I woke this AM thinking how happy I was to be off from work (as I kissed my wife at the door on her way out to her's)! I kicked the heat up a bit, did some domestic duties before starting my year off with an hour of 'Yoga for Runners'. Its a great audio session that helps to keep me flexible before my long runs. Tomorrow, I'll head back outside if it its not to windy - cold I can work with, but cold and windy just really truly sucks! If that's the case, then I'll head to the gym and a treadmill (but only as a last resort).

My January goal.... taper for the next 12 days with light runs and yoga and then survive my first marathon and enjoy the ensuing pain . Afterwards, I'll spend the following week recovering with some light runs and maybe a spin class. I'm still thinking of my 2013 goals - but to echo another member of our group, I'm looking forward to really enjoying the upcoming season's training and all the health and wellness benefits that comes along with it!

2013-01-01 4:40 PM

User image

Peekskill, NY
BTW, does anyone know how to post a message from your phone - or can it only be from the computer?
2013-01-01 7:33 PM

User image

New user
Made it past midnight last night! Went to bed around 1:30 and still managed to make it to my running group's New Year's Day run at 8am. Had a good 6.5 mile run, but because of a tough CrossFit workout yesterday had a lot of tightness in my glutes/hammies/calves. At mile 4 I stopped and bent over to scratch my leg, and BAM! My hip tightened like there was a baseball stuffed in my muscle! Finished the run but have had tight hip muscle all day.

That brings me to my next comment--by far the best muscle massage tool I have purchased is a $2.99 lacrosse ball. I use a foam roller almost every day and have The Stick also, but the lacrosse ball is awesome. I used it to work out knots in the arch of my foot, and today was able to target that sore hip muscle. So I highly recommend one if you have sore muscles to pinpoint.

Happy New Year, all!

Becky
2013-01-01 9:04 PM

New user

Subject: planning number of races

Hi!  It's Denise....Happy New Year!

Trying to figure out what races I register for in 2013....distances and number of races. As I am just back to tri's  after many years, I wonder if you have a recommendation for how I approach this.  I don't want to overtrain and get hurt and I have no idea how I will do in the HIM Aquabike I registered for in June, but also don't want to get locked out of events if I don't register - and most of all the goal of an event is great motivation!

Any suggestions on best approach and how to manage training throughout the season would be so helpful.

Thanks.

D

2013-01-01 10:00 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Becky,

Are you using your hand to work the lacrosse ball or leaning against a wall or using it on the floor? That kind of sounds inappropriate and I didn't mean it too. Haha! I've talked to people who have used a tennis ball between the sore spot and a wall so I was curious how you were using it. I have a roller and a stick but I really have to get better about using them consistently.

2013-01-01 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Hi Ken and Everyone!

Sorry I am late to the game, I couldn't find your group the other day when I lookedUndecided

Can you fit me in?   Looks like an active group!

Happy New Year.

2013-01-01 10:36 PM
in reply to: #4556198

User image

Expert
San Jose
bdenehy - 2013-01-01 7:38 AM

Wow, things are moving fast in here.  Happy New Year everyone!!

Ken, hope you had a great race!

BT plans - I've used the HIM, but went with Be Iron Fit for IM.  I liked them both, but I pretty much ignore the swim workouts.  If I'm not swimming with the masters group, I try to use Workouts in a Binder.

Johanne - I read your race report from IMAZ.  Fantastic race and report.  2012 was my first too, and I loved it.

Kicked off the year with a run including 30' a little slower than threshold pace.  That knocked the hangover out of me, but now I'm ready for a nap and the Twilight Zone marathon that runs through the holiday....

I found your IMAZ race report too. Great job! It was such a fun day overall. I used Be Iron Fit too. It worked for me and I would use it again. Are you doing an IM this year? I'm holding off until 2014.

2013-01-01 10:42 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Question for all that might have an answer for me:

Who uses power/watts on the bike? If you do, do you have a coach to help you translate the numbers and use it effectively or is it pretty easy to figure out and incorporate into your training?

I'm considering looking into it a little more because I think the bike is my weakest sport.

Thanks for any input!

2013-01-02 2:52 AM
in reply to: #4557171

User image

STORY:  I did my first sprint tri at the end of 2011 and fell in love with the sport.  Previously I had been a slow but steady runner.  My kids were getting a little bit older and I had time for a hobby...and here I am!  As I remind my husband, it's cheaper than a cocaine habit!

I live in New Mexico and I work in an Emergency Department, so my schedule is pretty random, and I struggle with staying consistent with my training.  The learning curve was steep in 2012 and I did 6 sprints and 3 olys, and ended up winning 2nd in my (small) age group in our local point series.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to a wonderful supportive and non-running husband and have 2 boys age 3 and 5. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in base training, using Joe Friel's book.  Also taking a few swim lessons to try and improve my technique.  I will figure out how to start posting my workouts here this week.

2013 RACES/GOALS: My major goal is to improve my performance in the Oly distance.  Last year I was racing the sprints well, but felt like I was surviving the Olys instead of racing them.  I think lack of volume in my training was the problem.  I want to compete in our local point series again with improvements in the Oly races.

I'd also like to do my first HIM in the fall, just to finish it, but haven't yet chosen the race.

Feb 23 Disneyworld Princess Half Marathon

March  Moab Skinny Tire Festival

April  Rio Grande Sprint Tri

June Billy the Kid Oly and Storrie Lake Oly (my A race)

July City of Lakes Sprint

Aug 505 (between and Oly and a HIM distance)

Fall HIM ?????????  Open to suggestions...

I'm really excited to be part of such an active group!  Thanks.

2013-01-02 4:14 AM
in reply to: #4557140

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2013-01-01 11:05 PM

Hi Ken and Everyone!

Sorry I am late to the game, I couldn't find your group the other day when I lookedUndecided

Can you fit me in?   Looks like an active group!

Happy New Year.

Hi Kathleen!  I had you on the list from the start, I was planning on finding you today if you hadn't checked in!!  Several IMWI her with us!

2013-01-02 4:16 AM
in reply to: #4556947

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

rquinn23 - 2013-01-01 8:33 PM Made it past midnight last night! Went to bed around 1:30 and still managed to make it to my running group's New Year's Day run at 8am. Had a good 6.5 mile run, but because of a tough CrossFit workout yesterday had a lot of tightness in my glutes/hammies/calves. At mile 4 I stopped and bent over to scratch my leg, and BAM! My hip tightened like there was a baseball stuffed in my muscle! Finished the run but have had tight hip muscle all day.

That brings me to my next comment--by far the best muscle massage tool I have purchased is a $2.99 lacrosse ball. I use a foam roller almost every day and have The Stick also, but the lacrosse ball is awesome. I used it to work out knots in the arch of my foot, and today was able to target that sore hip muscle. So I highly recommend one if you have sore muscles to pinpoint.

Happy New Year, all!

Becky

Good advice Becky!  I haven't tried the ball yet, but spend a fair bit of time with the foam roller and stick to keep my ITB in check.  I may try that ball.

2013-01-02 4:18 AM
in reply to: #4557069

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: planning number of races
Denisembk - 2013-01-01 10:04 PM

Hi!  It's Denise....Happy New Year!

Trying to figure out what races I register for in 2013....distances and number of races. As I am just back to tri's  after many years, I wonder if you have a recommendation for how I approach this.  I don't want to overtrain and get hurt and I have no idea how I will do in the HIM Aquabike I registered for in June, but also don't want to get locked out of events if I don't register - and most of all the goal of an event is great motivation!

Any suggestions on best approach and how to manage training throughout the season would be so helpful.

Thanks.

D

Hi Denise!

I would start by finding a plan to get you in the routine.  If you click on the program button up above, you can see what is available here on BT.  Find one that fits your time availability and your current fitness best and go from there! 

2013-01-02 4:20 AM
in reply to: #4556725

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Jambago - 2013-01-01 5:40 PM BTW, does anyone know how to post a message from your phone - or can it only be from the computer?

I use my Iphone and Ipad just like a regular computer.   It does format a bit funny but otherwise it works.  Just open up the web browser and enter the site.  Do you use a smart phone like an iphone or droid?

2013-01-02 4:21 AM
in reply to: #4556671

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-01 4:53 PM

Started the day with a short run with my husband and son. By short, I mean 1 mile My son is training for his first 5K and also losing some pounds he put on the last few years. Today was an off run day for me so it was fun to tag along.

We hosted our group of friends for a New Year's dinner last night. Good food, lots to drink and fun times. Today has been a lot of de-Christmasing, football and snacking. Last day of the holidays, then back to healthy eating.

I paid a quick visit to the barn to check my horses. After a week off, mostly because of rainy weather, they go back to an exercise routine tomorrow too When I got home we took our 5 week old foster puppies outside for the first time. I foster for our local animal shelter. All the fun of puppies then I get to send them back to find a home with someone else.

January goals:

Plan out my training plan to get me to my first few races. I'm going to use a combination of BT plans with some modifications.

Get back to masters swim at least twice a week which will force me to get up at 5:00 a few morning a week. After IM training I loved not getting up early during December.

Restock healthy food in the house.

Cut back on sugar again to get some control of my cravings. I LOVE candy.

That should give me plenty to do!

Nice that your husband and son are getting into the running too!

You certainly are busy with all the horses and puppies!!

2013-01-02 4:22 AM
in reply to: #4556648

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
DeVinci13 - 2013-01-01 4:35 PM

Good afternoon all, and Happy New Year.

I managed to make it to 9:35pm last night before I went to bed. I was up at 5:15am for my morning swim then I had another swim with my coach at 9:30am. This one was a video session. When you see yourself on the iPad you really notice what you could be doing better. I definitely have a lot to work on as far as my technique. I have never had formal lessons, so I am impressed that I don't just sink.

I went for an easy 7.0 mile run today. I used my new Garmin 610 (for the first time) that I gave my self for Christmas. I was a good boy this year, I deserved it.

My resolutions for the year are: Enjoy the training and journey towards better health and the Ironman. I really would like to find a signficant other to share the journey with as well. As far as January goes, I want to make it entire month and not miss a workout. I also want the NHL to resolve their differences so that I can go back to enjoying my Winnipeg Jets.

Nice goals! 

I miss the hockey too, but I am afraid that this year may be a bust.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64