BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2012-12-26 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4549187

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
Cassady - 2012-12-26 7:21 PM

Can't say I have done this but have come close.  Drinking and running not a good combination, would much rather drink to celebrate a run.

Still fun to read and shocked he wasn't run over.

http://exercisingwhileintoxicated.wordpress.com/2010/07/26/the-beer-every-mile-sf-half-marathon-13-beers-in-13-miles/

I think I may try this for my next 26.2.  That would be more challenging than my time goal anyway.

2012-12-26 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4549187

New user
Cassady - 2012-12-26 7:21 PM

Can't say I have done this but have come close.  Drinking and running not a good combination, would much rather drink to celebrate a run.

Still fun to read and shocked he wasn't run over.

http://exercisingwhileintoxicated.wordpress.com/2010/07/26/the-beer-every-mile-sf-half-marathon-13-beers-in-13-miles/

Not surprised this happened in SF  <3 

2012-12-26 9:56 PM
in reply to: #4549192

User image

Expert
kevinbe - 2012-12-26 9:24 PM
jlangene - 2012-12-26 7:08 PM
kevinbe - 2012-12-26 3:50 PM

EmbarassedHaving just read this post, I feel a little "squishy" as my father in law would put it.  Good job on the stationary/dreadmill brick.  but you can always go wrong with the fruity beer.  Laughing

Even though I wimped out and did not run outside, I could not bring myself to drink fruity beer.  Instead it is Shiner Holiday Cheer and Santa Fe Nut Brown Ale.  Laughing 

Your a better man for this decision.  If you ever need anyone to "talk you off the ledge"  and avoid the Fruity beer curse, I'm your guy.

To each his own.. However - while you guys don't like fruit beers, that doesn't mean that there aren't good beers brewed in that style.  I would make the case that brewing a good fruit beer is one of the most difficult things a brewer has to do.  Anyone can make a hoppy beer but not many breweries can claim a good fruit beer.

Here is a list of some good ones to try http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TopBeersByStyle.asp?StyleID=40

Honest question - which is worse: a fruit beer or warm coors light?

Edited by Qua17 2012-12-26 10:29 PM
2012-12-26 10:08 PM
in reply to: #4549220

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
To be perfectly honest, I can't say I recall ever trying a fruity beer.  As far as beer goes I am an equal opportunity drinker and try not to discriminate Smile Although I can say that I have drank warm coors light on more than one occasion!  
2012-12-26 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Qua17 - 2012-12-26 7:56 PM

EmbarassedHaving just read this post, I feel a little "squishy" as my father in law would put it.  Good job on the stationary/dreadmill brick.  but you can always go wrong with the fruity beer.  Laughing

Even though I wimped out and did not run outside, I could not bring myself to drink fruity beer.  Instead it is Shiner Holiday Cheer and Santa Fe Nut Brown Ale.  Laughing 

Your a better man for this decision.  If you ever need anyone to "talk you off the ledge"  and avoid the Fruity beer curse, I'm your guy.

To each his own.. However - while you guys don't like fruit beers, that doesn't mean that there aren't beers brewed in that style.  I would make the case that brewing a good fruit beer is one of the difficult things a brewer has to do.  Anyone can make a hoppy beer but not many breweries can claim a good fruit beer.

Here is a list of some good ones to try http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TopBeersByStyle.asp?StyleID=40

Is this a trick question, Dave?  Smile

2012-12-26 10:12 PM
in reply to: #4543109

New user

Thor:  I think that I am going to stick with Sprints this season and yes, open water is pretty intimidating.  I am sure that I will rely on the group for help and support as it gets closer, because it freaks me out a little.

Cynthia:  That is awesome that you are going to be in Napa.  I was looking forward to meeting you until DQ mentioned that Dolph Lundgren thing, now I am just scared.  Wink  

2012-12-26 10:13 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Tomorrow-

1400 in the pool followed by an easy 5.5 miler.  I'm waking up at 5:10 on vacation.  bummer.  That's the price to pay for this sickness. 

Red Hook winter ale tonight.  I do love those Winter brews.

2012-12-27 8:54 AM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico

Question.  I am completing the 10 week sprint program from trinewbie with the exception of the swimming portion as I do not have access to a pool currently.  (May try to make it to one while out of town this weekend) Anyway, on the swim days, I have been trying to hit the bowflex, but that really does not help build my aerobic capacity.  Is it acceptable to substitute cycling or will that hurt my cycling by not resting those muscles on those days?  Also, I seem to be progressing with cycling much better than running.  I am actually repeating week 5 of the program due to the fact that I can't do the run required yet and figured i would repeat until I could do it as required.  Can I stay on week 5 of the run and move forward with the cycling portion?  I apologize for the newbie questions, but thanks for the input! 

Oh if you can find Santa Fe Brewing Co. Nut Brown Ale, I highly recommend it.  Just tried some last night and it was quite good!  Made right here in NM.  

http://www.santafebrewing.com/beer_detail/21

2012-12-27 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4549581

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
jlangene - 2012-12-27 7:54 AM

Question.  I am completing the 10 week sprint program from trinewbie with the exception of the swimming portion as I do not have access to a pool currently.  (May try to make it to one while out of town this weekend) Anyway, on the swim days, I have been trying to hit the bowflex, but that really does not help build my aerobic capacity.  Is it acceptable to substitute cycling or will that hurt my cycling by not resting those muscles on those days?  Also, I seem to be progressing with cycling much better than running.  I am actually repeating week 5 of the program due to the fact that I can't do the run required yet and figured i would repeat until I could do it as required.  Can I stay on week 5 of the run and move forward with the cycling portion?  I apologize for the newbie questions, but thanks for the input! 

Oh if you can find Santa Fe Brewing Co. Nut Brown Ale, I highly recommend it.  Just tried some last night and it was quite good!  Made right here in NM.  

No need to apoligize, unless you spilled your beer. If you don't know ask, as I am sure there are others wanting to know!

Honestly, I don't think anything will take the place of swimming. It is a totally different  animal. Is your first tri in a pool? That would be the ideal situation. 

I am not sure how much training you are doing but as long as you are recovering from your planned workouts, there is no reason why you cannot sub in a few extra runs/bikes. 

And yes I would redo week 5 and advance the bike as per schedule.

Do you have a triathlon in 5 weeks?

Cheers

2012-12-27 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2012-12-26 8:56 PM

To each his own.. However - while you guys don't like fruit beers, that doesn't mean that there aren't good beers brewed in that style.  I would make the case that brewing a good fruit beer is one of the most difficult things a brewer has to do.  Anyone can make a hoppy beer but not many breweries can claim a good fruit beer.

yes there are some good fruit beers, not many but there are few...

Yes you can make a hoppy beer, but there are crappy hoppy beers too....

yes a good fruity beer is better then warm coors.

Now a chocolate mint chip beer...that is  another story...Wink

2012-12-27 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4548995

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
lp3510 - 2012-12-26 5:44 PM

Ton of good beers over the holiday.  Found the Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA I was looking for and a few local brews.  Also had a lot of good food and fun with the family... what didnt happen is the gym.  I had planned on going spinning 3 times this week but they cancelled a few classes for the holiday.  New plan is just to get my butt moving to the gym 5 times before sunday night. 

yeah, not much for spin classes over Christmas...time to buy yourself a cycle trainer.... Laughing

2012-12-27 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4549606

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
thor67 - 2012-12-27 8:07 AM

No need to apoligize, unless you spilled your beer. If you don't know ask, as I am sure there are others wanting to know!

Honestly, I don't think anything will take the place of swimming. It is a totally different  animal. Is your first tri in a pool? That would be the ideal situation. 

I am not sure how much training you are doing but as long as you are recovering from your planned workouts, there is no reason why you cannot sub in a few extra runs/bikes. 

Cheers

Thanks, I will not be attempting a triathlon until this summer first weekend in June, so I have quite some time to prepare.  I just figured I would start with the 10 week sprint plan and then move on to the intermediate 18 week sprint plan they have to be prepared before the triathlon.  My first event is in 80 days the Bataan Memorial Death March.  So I am more interested right now in increasing endurance to make it through the 26 mile march.  

The swim is an open water, but it is a small lake.  I plan on hitting the lake here at least twice a week once April hits and the water temps get above 60.  I am not really trying to take the place of swimming with the cycling, just get some more aerobic exercise in and increase my capacity there. 

As far as recovery goes, the only thing I have had to be careful with is recovery of my legs after the run.  I have been susceptible to shin splints in the past and am trying to ensure they do not come back.  Seems like the cycling is easier on the shins.  Thanks for the input!  

2012-12-27 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4549233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
snarky - 2012-12-26 9:12 PM

Thor:  I think that I am going to stick with Sprints this season and yes, open water is pretty intimidating.  I am sure that I will rely on the group for help and support as it gets closer, because it freaks me out a little.

Cynthia:  That is awesome that you are going to be in Napa.  I was looking forward to meeting you until DQ mentioned that Dolph Lundgren thing, now I am just scared.  Wink  

You should be good for one a month then. Try sign up for a pool swim for your first triathlon...a little less intimidating. In the end you will be fine!

2012-12-27 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

I actually hated Shiner beer (shhh...I live in Texas now) until I had their seasonal with grapefruit. Changed my life. Thought about buying pink leg warmers and a pink tri bike. But, I held back.

Hit the pool today for 1800 meters per TP. didn't want to do it as it is 22 degrees in Dallas this am. but I did it and it is done. Felt good. Having the HIM in April helps. I have fallen off the wagon a little over the holidays and after my HM and it is time to get back in the saddle.

2012-12-27 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4549028

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Cassady - 2012-12-26 7:12 PM

Got a small tri in today for my workout and have my very first spin class tomorrow at 5:15am if the weather cooperates. Unsure about the spin class. 

I'm setting a goal of getting down to 280lbs by end of January. Until then no beer. There I said it and now it is set in stone. Have a  35 days to lose 19lbs. Should be a fun chase.

Good job everyone on getting back at it today. Especially those who have to brave the elements. 

Is anyone here running the virtual half marathon for the Sandy Hook elementary school? I am running my on Jan 5th. It's gonna suck as my farthest run in the last 4 months is 6 miles. It's gonna be a long slow run.

you can do it! Having lost 80lbs this past year and a half I understand what is going on. I enjoyed having my races on the calendar to motivate my moving and fueling. Once I changed how I looked at food (fuel versus comfort) it really helped me make the shift. Plus I had a lot of trouble with running in the past and I did not want to lug around the excess weight. I am 205lbs now and still do not want to lug around the excess weight but will still enjoy the odd beer.

When I made my opening comment about not being able to enjoy more than a few beers it was actually a little more than tongue and cheek. If I do have a lot of drinks it kills my a.m. workout and if I eat bad it makes me feel bad.

2012-12-27 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4549647

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
jlangene - 2012-12-27 8:23 AM
thor67 - 2012-12-27 8:07 AM

Cheers

Thanks, I will not be attempting a triathlon until this summer first weekend in June, so I have quite some time to prepare.  I just figured I would start with the 10 week sprint plan and then move on to the intermediate 18 week sprint plan they have to be prepared before the triathlon.  My first event is in 80 days the Bataan Memorial Death March.  So I am more interested right now in increasing endurance to make it through the 26 mile march.  

The swim is an open water, but it is a small lake.  I plan on hitting the lake here at least twice a week once April hits and the water temps get above 60.  I am not really trying to take the place of swimming with the cycling, just get some more aerobic exercise in and increase my capacity there. 

As far as recovery goes, the only thing I have had to be careful with is recovery of my legs after the run.  I have been susceptible to shin splints in the past and am trying to ensure they do not come back.  Seems like the cycling is easier on the shins.  Thanks for the input!  

You will have no problems! If you are susceptible to shin splints, I say go with the bike...strong bike, strong run.

above 60 in april...we still have ice on the lakes in April...Smile

2012-12-27 10:44 AM
in reply to: #4549108

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
BigDH - 2012-12-25 9:13 PM

justinfss - 2012-12-26 1:11 PM

BigDH - 2012-12-25 10:49 AM

got a 21k run in today. 5 days left and 100 km to go to get my nut in for the year, gonna be tight. -24C out today, so done with this. Thankfully it is set to break tomorrow.

Sick run man! What kind of winter run gear do you use, I need to get some new stuff and since we are dealing with similar temperatures I would love some suggestions.. I have some great sugoi pants but thats about it.

I am usually good in cheap pair of shorts and a short sleeved tech shirt until -3 or so, depending on wind. I keep shorts on until -8 or so at which time I usually add a cheap pair of MEC long johns (and shorts and long johns are all I wear on my legs) and maybe a long sleeved tech shirt. At -10 I usually need to add a tshirt on top of the tech shirt, maybe a running jacket instead depending on the wind. -15 or so I usually throw on a tech shirt, t shirt and a running jacket. -20 I have a tech shirt, my MEC fleese jacket and a running jacket, really the fleese jacket is only for my arms though, my elbows just freeze when it gets cold. For hands it is those Red Olympic mittens and if it is too cold I throw on a pair of magic mitts.

For feet, just normal socks. Sometimes the toes get cold but I just wiggle them a bit and I still have all 10 (although missing a fair number of toe nails)

I read that you take the temperture and add 20 degrees to it then pick what you would wear if you were just standing around.

Right on Darren, thanks for that, this is pretty similar to what I do. I guess maybe I should just suck it up a little and not worry about having the newest gear out there. I see it is getting warmer out there for you guys now, so hopefully you can crush your goal for the year! Go get it man!

Justin
2012-12-27 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Qua17 - 2012-12-25 10:56 PM

I try not to be too snobby about my beers, but I would always....Always...take a fruit beer over a warm coors light.

If anyone is ever in Halifax NS Canada. There is a brewery called Garrison, and they have an amazing Raspberry Wheat!...

I also had a great fruit Beer at the Pumphouse Brewpub in Moncton, New Brunswick....They mixed their 'Muddy River Stout', with their Blueberry Ale....they called it ''The Black-N-Blue"

2012-12-27 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4549581

User image

Expert
jlangene - 2012-12-27 8:54 AM

Jared - First, no need to apologize for the questions.  The fact is that we were all new at some point and we asked the same questions that you are asking now.  Personally, I love answering them because I feel like it gives me a chance to repay the debt I owe to those who helped me last year.  And it won't be long before you'll be helping those coming after you.

A couple of thoughts about the swim: 1) The fact that you are not getting in the pool at this point in your training is not a deal breaker IMO.  The quarter mile swim is pretty easy.  In fact the toughest thing for me was adjusting to swimming in open water.  So you will have plenty of time to build strength and get comfortable once it gets warmer. If you are really concerned you could do some weight training to strengthen those muscles that you'll need.  Here is a link to a good workout http://www.livestrong.com/article/494443-recommended-dry-land-exerc... You are right on the money to focus on the run and bike.  The bike is the longest portion of the race and putting in extra time on the bike will pay off in the long run and will help you avoid injury. 3) Take your time on the run.  It's a great idea to repeat week 5 until you get stronger because the last thing you want to do is to get injured.  Be smarter than me - listen to your body and you will be fine.

Keep it up and let us know how we can support you.

Edited by Qua17 2012-12-27 11:03 AM
2012-12-27 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4549757

User image

Expert
bobddsmd - 2012-12-27 10:09 AM

I actually hated Shiner beer (shhh...I live in Texas now) until I had their seasonal with grapefruit. Changed my life. Thought about buying pink leg warmers and a pink tri bike. But, I held back.

Hit the pool today for 1800 meters per TP. didn't want to do it as it is 22 degrees in Dallas this am. but I did it and it is done. Felt good. Having the HIM in April helps. I have fallen off the wagon a little over the holidays and after my HM and it is time to get back in the saddle.

Bobby:  First off - congrats on getting in the pool for a mile swim.  Considering that Hell is freezing over (the fact that its 22 in Dallas is BIZARRE!), it's good to see you're maintaining your training planWink  

Also, nice answer above to Doug's question.  Way to cheer on a fellow beer drinker.  That's the type of mutual support that will really make this forum work.  Plus, your experience is exactly what this group needs in order to see what is waiting for them if they keep up with their training.  

2012-12-27 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4549813

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

you can do it! Having lost 80lbs this past year and a half I understand what is going on. I enjoyed having my races on the calendar to motivate my moving and fueling. Once I changed how I looked at food (fuel versus comfort) it really helped me make the shift. Plus I had a lot of trouble with running in the past and I did not want to lug around the excess weight. I am 205lbs now and still do not want to lug around the excess weight but will still enjoy the odd beer.

When I made my opening comment about not being able to enjoy more than a few beers it was actually a little more than tongue and cheek. If I do have a lot of drinks it kills my a.m. workout and if I eat bad it makes me feel bad.

Congrats on your success. I can't wait to be free of this excess weight. I anticipate I will be much faster and able to keep up with my friends on runs and bike rides.

I suffer guilt when I over indulge as well. Much easier to just say no than to have a sampling. I'm sort of an all or nothing type of person. Hence my schedule this year,  1 OLY, 3 HIM and 2IM distance races.

2012-12-27 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4550002

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Cassady - 2012-12-27 10:59 AM

Congrats on your success. I can't wait to be free of this excess weight. I anticipate I will be much faster and able to keep up with my friends on runs and bike rides.

I suffer guilt when I over indulge as well. Much easier to just say no than to have a sampling. I'm sort of an all or nothing type of person. Hence my schedule this year,  1 OLY, 3 HIM and 2IM distance races.

As a fellow former 290+ guy, I can tell you your knees will thank you!

That my friend is one crazy sked! You will definitely be losing some pounds!

Good luck and kick !! 

2012-12-27 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4549873

New user
Qua17 - 2012-12-27 9:01 AM
jlangene - 2012-12-27 8:54 AM

Jared - First, no need to apologize for the questions.  The fact is that we were all new at some point and we asked the same questions that you are asking now.  Personally, I love answering them because I feel like it gives me a chance to repay the debt I owe to those who helped me last year.  And it won't be long before you'll be helping those coming after you.

A couple of thoughts about the swim: 1) The fact that you are not getting in the pool at this point in your training is not a deal breaker IMO.  The quarter mile swim is pretty easy.  In fact the toughest thing for me was adjusting to swimming in open water.  So you will have plenty of time to build strength and get comfortable once it gets warmer. If you are really concerned you could do some weight training to strengthen those muscles that you'll need.  Here is a link to a good workout http://www.livestrong.com/article/494443-recommended-dry-land-exerc... You are right on the money to focus on the run and bike.  The bike is the longest portion of the race and putting in extra time on the bike will pay off in the long run and will help you avoid injury. 3) Take your time on the run.  It's a great idea to repeat week 5 until you get stronger because the last thing you want to do is to get injured.  Be smarter than me - listen to your body and you will be fine.

Keep it up and let us know how we can support you.

Thank you for this.  I am embarrassed to say this, but the realization that the biking is the longest portion of the race and should be treated as such is a crazy oversight on my part.    

2012-12-27 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4548690

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

justinfss - 2012-12-26 2:24 PM Just read my post and thought I should clarify something. My 6 month old Daughter IS being cranky (teething, less sleep etc...) But she is still the best thing Ever! I felt like I sounded a little un-greatful in that last post.

Better an honest but kind parent than a fake and mean one..you are all good!

2012-12-27 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4550002

User image

Veteran
Illinois

With all this talk of weight loss and food, I'd like to hear what folks are doing or striving for in terms of nutrition.

For me, at 6'2", 185lbs (down from 296lbs three years ago), by current BMR is around 2,200.  I strive for around 1,800 calories per day, with a breakdown of 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat.  As a practical matter, I pay attention to the protein more than anything, and try to hit 180g per day, and the rest just fills up automatically.

I've only got about 15 pounds to go, so one concern I have is that I may not be eating enough.  I'm probably burning about 6,000 calories per week, plus the 2,800 deficit (2,200 BMR - 1,800 intake = 400 deficit x 7 days), for a net deficit of 6,800 calories, or a 2.5 pound per week loss.  

My energy levels are fine, and my recovery is adequate - I'm sore by the end of the week, and that's the point, really.

So friends, what are you doing nutritionally, and why?

-Charles

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97