BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mamma Amy Knows Best - Mentor Group Year One - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2013-01-08 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4544169

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Mamma Amy Knows Best - Mentor Group Year One - CLOSED

Let the quest for the coveted Black Dog Mug begin!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Smile

Mama's Portly Triathlete
Weight Loss Challenge
As of week ending 1/6/2012

Starting Weight

Current Weight

Pounds Lost

Percentage Lost

A Little Madness

0.00%

Dd2935

0.00%

DLB

0.00%

dogpaddle

0.00%

gmorning

0.00%

jeuart

0.00%

John S

0.00%

josephie

0.00%

jredfly

0.00%

kslamp

0.00%

LSU Running Mom

0.00%

rustymom

0.00%

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-01-08 8:50 AM

2013-01-08 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4567592

Raleigh, NC

Amy -

If you're really interested we've already started a Ragnar Mia-Key West 2014 group Wink

There were definitely some sketchy areas in Miami when Van 1 came through.  In fact a runner that was ahead of ours came to our van because someone tried to grab her.  Our team immediately ran out to find our runner and contacted the Ragnar Race Staff.  The Ragnar staff was onsite in a matter of minutes and was "policing" the area guiding the runners through and making sure their presence was known.

And except for the beady eyes staring back at me during my 1:30AM run, everything was pretty calm.  We did hear about the occasional alligator on the road, but the heat/humidity was the real danger during the two days.

And who cannot have fun in Key West ?!?!?  The 2-hour wait at Blue Heaven for brunch was a breeze since the bar was open and it was just a relaxing time for all and a chance to catch up.  We were all up the next morning for a spectacular sunrise AND sunset from the exact same spot!!!  Can't ask for more.

As harsh as the natural conditions are in the Florida Keys, you cannot complain about the starting/ending points; both world class vacation destinations: Miami and Key West!

Martha

2013-01-08 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4567595

User image

Veteran
miamiamy - 2013-01-08 9:06 AM

I'm in the process of upgrading an older iMac this week so that I can try trainerroad.com on my trainer set up. Do you guys currently have/use trainers? How do you structure your mid-week cycling workouts?

I have a bike trainer.  I am currently using the beginner cycling program from here.  I decided that since I plan to do swim and run as well as bike that I would change the program from 6x a week to 3 times a week.  I kept the "long" ride, the higher cadence interval workout and the lower cadence-harder gear interval workouts.

2013-01-08 6:54 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

miamiamy - 2013-01-08 9:06 AM

I'm in the process of upgrading an older iMac this week so that I can try trainerroad.com on my trainer set up. Do you guys currently have/use trainers? How do you structure your mid-week cycling workouts?

Hi Amy, I didn't think they allowed trainers in the state of Florida (Ha! Ha!).

Silly me, I thought all you had to do was put in a dvd, hop on your bike and go. I just looked at that website and now I am totally confused. Site looked pretty cool though any tips would be appreciated.

I got a really good deal on a Kinetic Fluid Trainer on Craigs List, absolutely love it.

BTW - Went to my first ever Spin class the other night and it was a lot of fun! Loved the music and everyone was very helpful, legs were burning. Cool

2013-01-08 7:19 PM

Kenosha

Amy, I have KurtKinetic trainer in my basement. When I'm on the trainer over the winter it's lots of z3 tempo work, some intervals, and some strength building exercises. I use spinervals and endurance films and pretty much just follow the coaching provided on the films. Now that I'm starting my routine back in prep for my upcoming race season things will be (fingers crossed and for the most part).

Monday - Run/Swim

Tuesday - Trainer ride

Wednesday - Run/Swim

Thursday - Trainer ride

Friday - Off day (my schedule is just too full on Fridays)

Saturday - Either Run/Swim or Run/Bike brick

For now I'm only running three miles at a time and typically swim 1 mile

Trainer rides are always an hour or more

Distances and times will build towards my half Marathon May 5th which is my first real race of the season. It's winter up in this part of the country so outdoor events are not as often and I really have zero interest in indoor TRIs.

2013-01-08 7:26 PM
in reply to: #4568916

Kenosha

James,

I love RPM (spin) classes. RPM specifically is the Les Mills branded class and the music definitely motivates and provides tempo to match cadence to. I've done many fitness classes over the years and two that make me sweat the most are RPM and then Body Flow (Les Mills Yoga/Pilates). I don't do the RPM as much as I used to since starting TRI training last year and I stopped Body Flow completely. Probably should pick Body Flow back up as it helps tremendously with recovery and injury prevention to do thorough stretching throughout the training week.

2013-01-08 10:00 PM

I am really enjoying reading about other folks having a hard a time as I am with some stuff as well as sharing success stories. G'night for now 5:00am class followed by a 5 mile run. Need some Z's.
2013-01-08 10:51 PM

User image

New user

Tampa
Looks like training is in full swing.  I'm running into one challenge that I would like advise on.  It seems like my weak area is stretching after my workouts.  Is there a good site to reference for stretching after bike rides and running specifically?  thanks in advance.
2013-01-09 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4564187

User image

New user
Baton Rouge, LA
I did my run yesterday and iced my knees soon after. No pain, swelling, or discomfort at all! Thanks for the tip!
2013-01-09 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4565705

User image

New user
Baton Rouge, LA
I dread when they set the pool to long course. I have 3 pool triathlons that use long course and it kills me every time since I train in a short course pool.
2013-01-09 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4566835

User image

New user
Baton Rouge, LA
Glad you had a great time! I am in the process of getting people together to do it next year! I'm sure I will have questions for you soon!

2013-01-09 9:18 AM

User image

New user
Baton Rouge, LA

Yesterday I did my C25K week 5, day 1. It was actually a good run!!! I had to do a 5 minute warm up walk followed by a 5 minute run, 3 minute walk, 5 minute run, 3 minute walk, 5 minute run, and a 5 minute cool down walk for a total of 31 minutes. 

Today I am doing week 5, day 2 with a 5 minute warm up walk, 3/4 mile run (or 8 minutes), walk 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes), run 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes), and a 5 minute cool down walk. I expect today's run to be a little more trying. 

I had a few bad runs last week and I realize that I was running too fast. I knocked the speed down a little and I am able to go much further. After I complete C25K I am going to move onto C210K, complete that, and then go back to C25K to work on my speed. First i just need to get the distance down or the speed will do nothing for me. I also realized that in my 2+ years of running, running is a sport that you can't just jump into and expect to go far and fast. You have to work on it to achieve what you want. Too bad I didn't know that 2 years ago!!!

I have decided to defer my structured triathlon training until after my half marathon on January 20th. I will start my main training on Tuesday, January 22. I just feel like right now I need to focus on my running so I can run the best half marathon I can. 

Happy Wednesday everyone!

2013-01-09 2:56 PM

User image

New user

Hi Folks

I hope you are all well, I've been suffering with a chest infection since the start of the year which prevented me from training until the weekend...agghhhh! I have put a couple of short runs in this week, 5.5 miles and 6 miles paced at about 7.30 mins per mile which has shaken me out my slumber! Swam at lunchtime, goodto be back in the pool, it's the discipline I like the least so I know it needs focus..did 625 meters which felt great. I was a bit of an idiot as I stopped after 50m to adjust my goggles and forgot to restart my garmin so have stats for the first 50m only! Hoping to ride with a group on Sunday but we have snow forecasted so it may be on the spin bike. I start coaching the juniors in the club again on Saturday, which I am looking forward to and spending most of my free time with my heads in my books studying as part of the British Cycling Coaching qualification I am working on, only 2 more levels to go and I will be have the necessary qualification to coach the GB Olympic Team! Have fun folks, first race of the year for me is on Sunday 26th January, nice 10 miler to get the legs moving and I'm afraid I couldn't resist and have entered another marathon, October 20th in the beautiful city of York...I never learn! x

2013-01-09 5:55 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Got this in my email today - some great nutrition tips for athletes from USA Triathlon:http://m.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/fuel-station/articles/five-nutrition-tips-for-beginners-112712.aspx
2013-01-09 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4569217

User image

I will say that honestly I do not stretch as much as I should. Any time I have to pick something up from the floor I'll thing ooooh ... I should stretch a little bit because these muscles at the bag of my legs are tight. Actually this post is sort of my reminder to stretch a little today. So if I gave any advice here it would totally be bogus. I do actually use the foam roller about every other day probably.

Have you checked runnersworld.com I would guess they probably have videos and articles on stretches for runners.

Knightraven - 2013-01-07 11:51 PM Looks like training is in full swing.  I'm running into one challenge that I would like advise on.  It seems like my weak area is stretching after my workouts.  Is there a good site to reference for stretching after bike rides and running specifically?  thanks in advance.

2013-01-09 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4569683

User image

OMG it makes such a difference. I always knew it did but not really how much. Then today when I went to practice the pool was back to short course and I made it all the way through without feeling horrible.

LSUrunningmom - 2013-01-08 10:05 AM I dread when they set the pool to long course. I have 3 pool triathlons that use long course and it kills me every time since I train in a short course pool.

2013-01-09 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4569712

User image

Sounds like a good plan!

LSUrunningmom - 2013-01-08 10:18 AM

Yesterday I did my C25K week 5, day 1. It was actually a good run!!! I had to do a 5 minute warm up walk followed by a 5 minute run, 3 minute walk, 5 minute run, 3 minute walk, 5 minute run, and a 5 minute cool down walk for a total of 31 minutes. 

Today I am doing week 5, day 2 with a 5 minute warm up walk, 3/4 mile run (or 8 minutes), walk 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes), run 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes), and a 5 minute cool down walk. I expect today's run to be a little more trying. 

I had a few bad runs last week and I realize that I was running too fast. I knocked the speed down a little and I am able to go much further. After I complete C25K I am going to move onto C210K, complete that, and then go back to C25K to work on my speed. First i just need to get the distance down or the speed will do nothing for me. I also realized that in my 2+ years of running, running is a sport that you can't just jump into and expect to go far and fast. You have to work on it to achieve what you want. Too bad I didn't know that 2 years ago!!!

I have decided to defer my structured triathlon training until after my half marathon on January 20th. I will start my main training on Tuesday, January 22. I just feel like right now I need to focus on my running so I can run the best half marathon I can. 

Happy Wednesday everyone!

2013-01-09 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4570535

User image

It's good you're feeling better! So many people here are getting the flu so I am washing my hands like a crazy germ obsessed person hoping I don't get it.

cav65 - 2013-01-08 3:56 PM

Hi Folks

I hope you are all well, I've been suffering with a chest infection since the start of the year which prevented me from training until the weekend...agghhhh! I have put a couple of short runs in this week, 5.5 miles and 6 miles paced at about 7.30 mins per mile which has shaken me out my slumber! Swam at lunchtime, goodto be back in the pool, it's the discipline I like the least so I know it needs focus..did 625 meters which felt great. I was a bit of an idiot as I stopped after 50m to adjust my goggles and forgot to restart my garmin so have stats for the first 50m only! Hoping to ride with a group on Sunday but we have snow forecasted so it may be on the spin bike. I start coaching the juniors in the club again on Saturday, which I am looking forward to and spending most of my free time with my heads in my books studying as part of the British Cycling Coaching qualification I am working on, only 2 more levels to go and I will be have the necessary qualification to coach the GB Olympic Team! Have fun folks, first race of the year for me is on Sunday 26th January, nice 10 miler to get the legs moving and I'm afraid I couldn't resist and have entered another marathon, October 20th in the beautiful city of York...I never learn! x

2013-01-10 7:27 AM

User image

New user

I apologize in advance, but I'm about to whine for a little bit...

I'm having a bad week and starting to feel really discouraged. My right knee is in bad shape. It started Saturday, when I ran 4 miles in pretty icy conditions. I felt sore in my ankles and behind my right knee. Rested Sunday, with some light core strengthening work. In my spin class Monday, my knee felt crackly and kind of popped at one point. It bothered me for the first few minutes but eventually felt better, so I kept going and finished the 45 minute class. By the end of the day it hurt enough that I spent the evening the icing it. Brought ice in to work Tuesday morning to keep icing. Went to yoga, which didn't seem to make my knee any better or worse. Still hurt Wednesday, although in the morning it seemed like the swelling was going down. By the end of the day I was limping and now I pretty much can't get my knee to a 90 degree angle or straight in front of me without pain. The most significant pain, based on my main diagnostic tool of poking at it for a while, seems to be the front of my right knee on the inside.

I didn't work out yesterday and won't today either. I'll probably bag the rest of the week, although I may try to swim and at least lift weights (upper body only) this weekend. 

I'm seeing the doctor Monday. He specializes in athletes and is the medical director for most of the big races in this area, plus our running club. So I know he's good and his goal is going to be to get me feeling better so I can get back to training as quickly as is safe. But in the meantime, I'm feeling pretty lousy - physically and emotionally. What a terrible way to start of the year. Frown

2013-01-10 11:55 AM

User image

Man that totally stinks about your knee! I'm no knee expert but it sounds ouchie!

Keep us posted what the doctor says on Monday.
2013-01-10 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4571407

User image

New user

jeuart - 2013-01-10 1:27 AM

I apologize in advance, but I'm about to whine for a little bit...

I'm having a bad week and starting to feel really discouraged. My right knee is in bad shape. It started Saturday, when I ran 4 miles in pretty icy conditions. I felt sore in my ankles and behind my right knee. Rested Sunday, with some light core strengthening work. In my spin class Monday, my knee felt crackly and kind of popped at one point. It bothered me for the first few minutes but eventually felt better, so I kept going and finished the 45 minute class. By the end of the day it hurt enough that I spent the evening the icing it. Brought ice in to work Tuesday morning to keep icing. Went to yoga, which didn't seem to make my knee any better or worse. Still hurt Wednesday, although in the morning it seemed like the swelling was going down. By the end of the day I was limping and now I pretty much can't get my knee to a 90 degree angle or straight in front of me without pain. The most significant pain, based on my main diagnostic tool of poking at it for a while, seems to be the front of my right knee on the inside.

I didn't work out yesterday and won't today either. I'll probably bag the rest of the week, although I may try to swim and at least lift weights (upper body only) this weekend. 

I'm seeing the doctor Monday. He specializes in athletes and is the medical director for most of the big races in this area, plus our running club. So I know he's good and his goal is going to be to get me feeling better so I can get back to training as quickly as is safe. But in the meantime, I'm feeling pretty lousy - physically and emotionally. What a terrible way to start of the year. Frown

Sorry to hear about your knee, I have suffered over the years with mine. It's very easy to get down about it and think you'll never train again, been there several times but with proper attention (so glad you are seeing the doctor), recovery and the maintenance when you are fixed you'll be ok. I have to be really careful with mine, I strap them when running and found some good stretching exercises to help. Don't get too down, remember with our sport there's usually something you can be doing eg swimming, core work, strenghth work etc. The main thing is not to push the knee too soon as that will cause even more damage, listen to what it is saying to you. Neil x

2013-01-10 3:11 PM

User image

New user

Wow really great spin class tonight, just over 60 minutes mainly hill climbing, had to dig very deep at the end but worth it!
2013-01-10 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4565522

User image

Tampa

Thanks for the advice, has loosened up already. Need to keep up on my stretching overall. Have a great weekend

Jen

2013-01-11 6:58 AM

User image

Oh boy oh boy oh boy today is a rest day. I thought about swimming anyway but didn't do it. Coach says rest I'm gonna trust him and rest. I slept in till a glorious 7 am. It's gonna be a great day! What is everybody up to this weekend?
2013-01-11 7:12 AM

Raleigh, NC

Just how important are rest days??? VERY IMPORTANT!

In reading the book the "Perfect Distance: Training for Long Course Triathlons" by Tom Rodgers, he explains just how critical it is to rest since it is during this time that our bodies build.  However, he does go on to mention how as triathletes we feel guilty and feel the need to continue training.

Like you I now take my scheduled rest days as exactly that .... rest .... rest .... rest.  I'm hoping that it starts to make a difference in 2013 for me.

Martha

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mamma Amy Knows Best - Mentor Group Year One - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24