BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-05-15 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4744195

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
hoffsquared - 2013-05-15 3:09 PM
Hildebeast - 2013-05-15 2:49 PM
jaykayjay - 2013-05-15 12:15 PM

This is funny!!! I mentioned I had pizza for lunch some time ago on another thread.  It really got some hoots.  I had no idea what they were laughing about.  Haha.  Now I know!

pizza I had never heard of ..... but we used to tell the kids we were working on taxes year round...... 

2013-05-16 5:42 AM
in reply to: #4724462

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Hildie are you Ok? We're the storms in your area?
2013-05-16 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4744781

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Oh sorry, just seeing this... yes we are fine!  Nothing big hit us, it was mostly north of us.  I woke up and heard some rain and thunder, but nothing as bad as what we went through last week.  I guess there was a tornado that touched down in the vicinity of my brother and sister-inlaw... but they made it through fine too.  Texas can be a crazy state.  The kids at school have been asking me, "Why is it raining so much?"  We're used to drought!  And we've had years where it won't stop raining and then we have floods! 
2013-05-16 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Send rain our way.  Montana is fast approaching its second year of drought.  Not good when most of our area depends on agriculture.  Besides - my favorite thing is running in slow warm rain.  Makes me feel like I am tough and gritting through a workout without it really hurting that bad.

I am a little late this year, but I have finally started searching for races in my area.  There are a lot of 5K fun runs, but there are only 2 triathlons that are nearby enough to consider - one is 145 miles and the other is 280 miles away.  I am going to commit to at least one.  I am looking at doing a "destination race" where I make the triathlon part of an escape weekend with my husband.   Maybe Las Vegas this fall ...

2013-05-16 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4743755

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
jaykayjay - 2013-05-15 1:15 PM

Okay, I am new to the Beasts, so I will apologize ahead of time that I am notoriously irreverent .... But, seriously, has no one considered wearing a HR monitor during sex?!Embarassed  If anyone sees a mysterious sport in my training log and zone 4 HR posts, you will know I have succumbed to the temptation!  And, if it is only zone 4, I still have room for improvement or at the very least, more training! 

This cracked me up - I needed that today 

Hildebeast - 2013-05-15 3:49 PM 

OMG, TMI TMI!!!!!!  That is too funny, Janette!!!  You will have to log it as pizza!  You'll know what I mean if you get around BT a good bit!

And this is just plain good to know before I go inadvertently sticking my foot in my mouth Tongue out

In other news, I had a scare on the bike commute this morning. Some young woman came rolling up on my left in her car like she was passing me. As her back tire was even with my front tire, I notice she has her right directional on (and there's an offshoot to the right just ahead, about 25 feet ahead). The only thought I had in my head was "Oh !" She was going to pass me and then cut me off (or more to the point directly into me) to turn right!!

Thank God she decided better of it at the last second, but it shook me up pretty good. After the adrenaline wore off, I just got pissed. For some context, the speed limit on the parkway is only 30 mph, and I'm doing well over half that at the time. WTF was going through her mind to make that seem at all like a good idea?! It seriously added about 10 seconds to her drive to wait until I passed the offshoot. Happy freakin' bike to work week! 

2013-05-16 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4745269

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
jaykayjay - 2013-05-16 12:08 PM

Send rain our way.  Montana is fast approaching its second year of drought.  Not good when most of our area depends on agriculture.  Besides - my favorite thing is running in slow warm rain.  Makes me feel like I am tough and gritting through a workout without it really hurting that bad.

I am a little late this year, but I have finally started searching for races in my area.  There are a lot of 5K fun runs, but there are only 2 triathlons that are nearby enough to consider - one is 145 miles and the other is 280 miles away.  I am going to commit to at least one.  I am looking at doing a "destination race" where I make the triathlon part of an escape weekend with my husband.   Maybe Las Vegas this fall ...

We have a similar issue with triathlon races. Not a lot to choose from. Lots of running races 5 km although way to marathons . There are three nearby me tri's. One is hour and a bit drive the other two are 3 to 4 hour drives. Not sure why but in the north we measure drives in hours not distance. I kinda realized this when I was reading your post and trying to figure out the distances. To funny. On a side note I went to Montana in 1998 or 1999 to fight wild fires. We met a lot of great people in the state. I hope your drought doesn't turn out like that fire season it was a bad year.

2013-05-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4745269

User image

Expert
Falls Church
jaykayjay - 2013-05-16 11:08 AM

Nation's Triathlon in DC is a great destination race.  Maybe a bit far for just a weekend.  DC is great city to spend a few days in.

2013-05-16 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4745434

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Thank God she decided better of it at the last second, but it shook me up pretty good. After the adrenaline wore off, I just got pissed. For some context, the speed limit on the parkway is only 30 mph, and I'm doing well over half that at the time. WTF was going through her mind to make that seem at all like a good idea?! It seriously added about 10 seconds to her drive to wait until I passed the offshoot. Happy freakin' bike to work week! 

You are really cruising!!!  Is this downhill?  If not, I am so humbled...

2013-05-16 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4745537

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
hoffsquared - 2013-05-16 2:22 PM

Well maybe not "well over", but I was cruising at about 17.5 mph at that moment. I think my point was that I wasn't lolly-gagging and it wouldn't have impeded her much to slow down. I WISH I was one of those people that could humble others on the bike!
2013-05-16 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4745586

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
arquillo - 2013-05-16 2:45 PM
hoffsquared - 2013-05-16 2:22 PM

Well maybe not "well over", but I was cruising at about 17.5 mph at that moment. I think my point was that I wasn't lolly-gagging and it wouldn't have impeded her much to slow down. I WISH I was one of those people that could humble others on the bike!

I don't get people sometimes but I am glad that you're okay.

2013-05-16 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4744195

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
hoffsquared - 2013-05-15 4:09 PM
Hildebeast - 2013-05-15 2:49 PM
jaykayjay - 2013-05-15 12:15 PM

Okay, I am new to the Beasts, so I will apologize ahead of time that I am notoriously irreverent .... But, seriously, has no one considered wearing a HR monitor during sex?!Embarassed  If anyone sees a mysterious sport in my training log and zone 4 HR posts, you will know I have succumbed to the temptation!  And, if it is only zone 4, I still have room for improvement or at the very least, more training! 

OMG, TMI TMI!!!!!!  That is too funny, Janette!!!  You will have to log it as pizza!  You'll know what I mean if you get around BT a good bit!

Melody, don't worry if you are slacking off a bit... not much more you can do with a couple of weeks, most of your fitness is in the bank, but you CAN injure yourself or get so exhausted you make yourself sick.  So don't feel bad if you cut back on training or even take a few total rest days.... You have Hildebeast's permission!

This is funny!!! I mentioned I had pizza for lunch some time ago on another thread.  It really got some hoots.  I had no idea what they were laughing about.  Haha.  Now I know!

If you really want to seem cool, just mention how you like receiving flowers. 

2013-05-16 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

Last one, I promise.  For those of you who didn't see it, we're getting a new website here at BT tomorrow.  I love the message warning us that everything will likely be a mess.  

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=488407&posts=8&start=1

2013-05-16 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4745739

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Sulcus - 2013-05-16 2:54 PM

Last one, I promise.  For those of you who didn't see it, we're getting a new website here at BT tomorrow.  I love the message warning us that everything will likely be a mess.  

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=488407&posts=8&start=1

I have been one of the testers for the new site and: there probably will be some glitches for a bit Frown though they have been working hard to correct everything....

BUT the new look is REALLY NICE!!! I LOVE the new layout of the logs: the swims, runs, bikes are brightly colored when logged, much nicer, easier to see what has been done & the colors coordinate with the calendar & the forums (updated- way better)!! I think you will like it!!!

2013-05-16 6:49 PM
in reply to: #4745739

User image

New user
Sulcus - 2013-05-17 3:54 AM

looking forward to it

2013-05-16 6:54 PM
in reply to: #4745434

User image

New user

And this is just plain good to know before I go inadvertently sticking my foot in my mouth Tongue out

In other news, I had a scare on the bike commute this morning. Some young woman came rolling up on my left in her car like she was passing me. As her back tire was even with my front tire, I notice she has her right directional on (and there's an offshoot to the right just ahead, about 25 feet ahead). The only thought I had in my head was "Oh !" She was going to pass me and then cut me off (or more to the point directly into me) to turn right!!

do ride safely and defensively. 
2013-05-17 5:42 AM
in reply to: #4746103

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I am excited to see the new and improved BT!!!!  It says Friday morning, but I'm still seeing the old one, so maybe later.  Cool that you got to be in on the Beta version, Melody! 

2013-05-17 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4746463

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Hildebeast - 2013-05-17 5:42 AM I am excited to see the new and improved BT!!!!  It says Friday morning, but I'm still seeing the old one, so maybe later.  Cool that you got to be in on the Beta version, Melody! 

x2 on the new site!

2013-05-17 1:21 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Its here!!!!!! What do you think??

hmmm where is my editor.... I think I had to look for it in settings....
2013-05-17 1:23 PM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Expert
Falls Church
So far I like it...but it will take some getting used to!!

Not as compact....
2013-05-17 1:31 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
I like it too but I do agree that it will take a little getting used to. Have to do some exploring to find some things .
2013-05-17 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Where is my dashboard?? Where are all my friends/?? It's gonna take me some time to explore getting around, but I do like the new look!

2013-05-17 3:03 PM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Originally posted by Hildebeast

Where is my dashboard?? Where are all my friends/?? It's gonna take me some time to explore getting around, but I do like the new look!

Where was my link to go straight from my email to this message????

If you click on Training Log/ my Log your dashboard will come up

As far as I can tell, Friends are under Community and not on your dashboard as before
2013-05-17 3:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

I am starting to get 'a little' anxious about my Tri coming up on TWO WEEKS!!

I'm thinking about transition- I plan to practice this weekend.

I read somewhere, I think Meredith Atwood's (Swim, Bike, Mom) book Triathlon for Every Woman (have you read this book??? Even if you are a guy still read this FUNNIEST book I have very read about someone getting into triathlon free loaner on Amazon Prime)

Anyway, I read somewhere, to put your stuff in a bucket and sit on it during transition to change your shoes etc. What do you think??

I also read to put your swim cap on, then your goggles, then the race swim cap and your goggles will stay put... what do you guys thing about goggles when we are jumping into water (feet first) from pier???

I have never used body glide or anything like that- will I need to get some?

This is what I am planing to bring: goggles, (swim cap?) Shoes, socks, bike helmet, sunglasses, sunscreen racebelt, hat for run, extra shirt (I know something extra to worry about, but it is a little loose for swim, it's labeled as a marathon shirt and I plan to throw it on after the swim) water bottle to rinse feet, small towel to dry feet (do I need a sham type one?) Am I missing anything???

I plan to have a chap stick and a few gels & maybe a laura bar in bike bag....speaking of which- I only have an under the seat bag, is there a specific type of 'front of the bike bag' (i know small) I should get???

Deep breath..... Deep Breath.....

2013-05-17 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Originally posted by Meljoypip

I read somewhere, I think Meredith Atwood's (Swim, Bike, Mom) book Triathlon for Every Woman (have you read this book??? Even if you are a guy still read this FUNNIEST book I have very read about someone getting into triathlon free loaner on Amazon Prime)

Anyway, I read somewhere, to put your stuff in a bucket and sit on it during transition to change your shoes etc. What do you think??

I also read to put your swim cap on, then your goggles, then the race swim cap and your goggles will stay put... what do you guys thing about goggles when we are jumping into water (feet first) from pier???

This is what I am planing to bring: goggles, (swim cap?) Shoes, socks, bike helmet, sunglasses, sunscreen racebelt, hat for run, extra shirt (I know something extra to worry about, but it is a little loose for swim, it's labeled as a marathon shirt and I plan to throw it on after the swim) water bottle to rinse feet, small towel to dry feet (do I need a sham type one?) Am I missing anything???

I plan to have a chap stick and a few gels & maybe a laura bar in bike bag....speaking of which- I only have an under the seat bag, is there a specific type of 'front of the bike bag' (i know small) I should get???

Woo hoo for your first tri! And yes, take a couple of deep breaths and relax.

I have seen folks with the bucket, and think it's an ingeniously cheap way to carry your stuff to and from transition, but seriously transition is not for sitting! Best advice I can give is to get a pair of speed laces (Lock Laces, Yankz, or the like) - no tying in transition and no coming untied during the race.

Although I don't do it, I know plenty of folks who put their goggles on under their swimcap. Not sure why you'd need the base layer cap though. That being said, I've never had to start with a feet first jump. I would probably put my goggles on and then hold them in place as I hit the water. There will be no way you'll be able to put them on properly in the "washing machine."

As for your packing list, this looks pretty good to me. Keep things simple and you'll have less to worry about on race day. Not sure what your equipment entails, but if you have clipless bike pedals, list them separately from your running shoes on your checklist. If you have cycling gloves, I'd take those too. And don't forget water/gatorade for your bike. I would pack a swim cap, you never know if they'll give you one (at least at our local races). As for the towel, if you have a sham type one take it, but I wouldn't go out and buy one special. I never get my feet completely dry and if you have moisture-wicking socks (if not go out NOW and buy some) a little dampness won't hurt.

Unless you're dead set on having a front bag I'd recommend skipping that too and just throw a bar/gel in your jersey pocket in T1. For a sprint, you shouldn't need anything more than 1 gel/bar and some sports drink.

And most importantly remember this is supposed to be fun
2013-05-17 5:34 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by Meljoypip

you've got a lot on your hand there Mel. take it easy. prepare and check it twice, and have fun.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29