BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-06-02 8:30 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Hmmm . . . HR Zones Correct?
Scott, Steve, Thanks for your observations.
I arrived at the HR zones by doing the LT test per the BT protocol and plugging the field test HR into the BT calculator. That was in March this year.I had just joined BT but had been swimming, biking &running all winter and the previous year, except for my lame hiatus, so was in pretty good shape.
For some time I had struggled to identify my zones. Remember I am 66 years old, 67 in 3 months. The zones by the old 220 minus age are even lower, and I knew they weren't right. My Polar training computer (watch) has something called a Zone Optimizer which supposedly helps identify your accurate zones, but it has a lot of variability.
Prior to the BT LT test, using the Polar Zone Optimizer and also observations about when my breathing changes, I had kind of pegged the boundary between zones 2 & 3 at 126-127 bpm. The LT test put it at 128-129, so it could be about right. I also thought that 140-141 was where I went anaerobic, and that's what the calculator came up with. I don't know how the calculator figures the boundaries between 3, 4, & 5; I just use what it came up with. The Polar HR monitor BTW seems pretty accurate.
Two of the frustrating things about being a really older athlete are: 1) you get so much less of a HR range to work with, and 2) there is really not much research on the physiology of older athletes. As there are more of us, hopefully more will be done. If you know of any, send it my way.
And thanks for the encouragement on the race. Steve's description seems quite accurate: I got pretty tired in the first half, but kept pushing it as much as I could.
I don't know how often you're supposed to repeat the LT test. Maybe I should just use this race as a field test, since it was about 30 minutes and I had warmed up well, although had a rest in between. It could be said I probably pushed harder in the race than the test. I'll have to see if I can extract an average for the last 20 minutes.

2014-06-02 10:21 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

NAME: Dan

STORY: I'm 55 and live in Sendai, Japan. I ran on and off (weekend warrior type runner) for the past 30-35 years and I always thought triathlons would be something I would like to get into if I had the time.  So when I stopped working about 5 years ago, I bought a bike (no cycling for 35 years) and started hitting the pool (no swimming for more like 40 years).   My first Oly was in 2009 and since then I've done 3-4 races per year.   I have done the HIM distance once each of the last 3 years and the rest of my races were all Olys.   I continue to struggle with the swim but the wetsuit helps me get through the races in the open water - my age group performance is actually not bad, but I never feel comfortable.    My running has been pretty consistent for the past three years and is usually my strongest from a performance perspective.    My cycling has slowly improved and is actually my weak link relative to others in my age group.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two sons from my wife's previous marriage. We have 5 grandchildren.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am in the pool 4-5 days per week and spend way too much time on technique.   I still struggle with getting the breathing right.   Cycling - on the trainer 3 times/week through the winter and doing intervals (new for me).  I'm now outside as long as the weather is half way decent and get out at least 3 days per week.    Running - I was at 4 days per week until 5 weeks ago when I tore a muscle (more on that in another post).  No running for 5 weeks, but I was able to run an easy 5km on Sunday and will get out today and try the same distance/pace.

2013 RACES: 2 Olys, a near-HIM (near because the swim was 2 km, the bike was 105 km, the run 20 km) and a couple of HMs.  Weather caused the swim leg of the HIM to be cancelled and I did pretty well with the bike/run part - 5 hours, 14 minutes.

2014 RACES: At least 1 Oly on June 15 and then my first full distance event on Sept 7 (3.8 km swim, 190 km bike, 42.2 km run, i.e., the bike is 10km longer than an ironman).  

Weightloss: I'm currently at 129-130 pounds and will try to stay about that weight (wife's orders - I can lose more weight as long as it doesn't come off of my face).    

2014-06-02 10:37 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by ok2try

Scott, Steve, Thanks for your observations.
I arrived at the HR zones by doing the LT test per the BT protocol and plugging the field test HR into the BT calculator. That was in March this year.I had just joined BT but had been swimming, biking &running all winter and the previous year, except for my lame hiatus, so was in pretty good shape.
For some time I had struggled to identify my zones. Remember I am 66 years old, 67 in 3 months. The zones by the old 220 minus age are even lower, and I knew they weren't right. My Polar training computer (watch) has something called a Zone Optimizer which supposedly helps identify your accurate zones, but it has a lot of variability.
Prior to the BT LT test, using the Polar Zone Optimizer and also observations about when my breathing changes, I had kind of pegged the boundary between zones 2 & 3 at 126-127 bpm. The LT test put it at 128-129, so it could be about right. I also thought that 140-141 was where I went anaerobic, and that's what the calculator came up with. I don't know how the calculator figures the boundaries between 3, 4, & 5; I just use what it came up with. The Polar HR monitor BTW seems pretty accurate.
Two of the frustrating things about being a really older athlete are: 1) you get so much less of a HR range to work with, and 2) there is really not much research on the physiology of older athletes. As there are more of us, hopefully more will be done. If you know of any, send it my way.
And thanks for the encouragement on the race. Steve's description seems quite accurate: I got pretty tired in the first half, but kept pushing it as much as I could.
I don't know how often you're supposed to repeat the LT test. Maybe I should just use this race as a field test, since it was about 30 minutes and I had warmed up well, although had a rest in between. It could be said I probably pushed harder in the race than the test. I'll have to see if I can extract an average for the last 20 minutes.

Good stuff, Deborah. Sounds like you're right on top of your HR levels. It is the challenge of being an older athlete...less upside capacity to call on to drive faster times. Hats off to you for beating half the field at 67 (USAT age anyway)!

Steve
2014-06-02 10:39 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Regular
Originally posted by dcon

I'm currently at 129-130 pounds and will try to stay about that weight (wife's orders - I can lose more weight as long as it doesn't come off of my face).    

Welcome to the group Dan. We look forward to your contributions all the way from Japan.

Steve

PS--I can remember when I weighed 125 pounds. But that was a long time ago and a lot of beer and donuts have done their damage.
2014-06-03 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Originally posted by lutzman
Originally posted by dcon I'm currently at 129-130 pounds and will try to stay about that weight (wife's orders - I can lose more weight as long as it doesn't come off of my face).    
Welcome to the group Dan. We look forward to your contributions all the way from Japan. Steve PS--I can remember when I weighed 125 pounds. But that was a long time ago and a lot of beer and donuts have done their damage.

LOL....I'm only 5'4" and made it up to about 155 once about 12 years ago (lots of beer, wine, job related travel and stress, etc. involved).   130 is about what I weighed when I graduated from high school and the only reason I am back to that level again is triathlon related exercise.   

2014-06-03 7:59 AM

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN!
I would like to join this group. I am in the over 50 age range. I've been doing sprint triathlons for 4 years and want to begin training for an intermediate sprint for 2015.

I will give more info later. Just wanted to get my foot in the door here before the group is "full up".

TrameblayTrails

2014-06-03 6:35 PM
in reply to: tremblaytrails

User image

Spencer, New York
Welcome Gail !
(She is a flesh-and-blood friend & sometime training buddy of mine)
Deb
2014-06-03 8:19 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: tri completed

Originally posted by DJP_19

I'm happy to say that I finished my first sprint tri event today. I really enjoyed it. Short version of my race report is: weak swim, bike ok despite chain coming off at start, ok run. I didn't finish last

Dave

Hey Dave!  Congratulations!  You are a Triathlete!

Great race report!

2014-06-03 9:02 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I typically do LT tests in early spring before I start a performance build and repeat them towards the middle/end of summer to measure progress.  In the past I have tested a couple of extra times if my coaches or I perceived a dramatic improvement.

Using a race is a wonderful way of determining LT, because as you said, you are not likely going to get as hard an effort in a test that you do in a race.

I strongly suggest you revisit your HR numbers.  You likely have lap splits for the last mile of your race.  I would compare your average HR during that last mile to your HR zones.  While a one mile average is not the accepted way to determine LT, it certainly can be instructive.  I suspect that whatever average HR you had over the last mile was pretty close to your LT and if you recalculated your zones off of that you would likely see that your current zones are low.  Again, using a one mile HR average is not the accepted way of determining HR, however, to counter that, for the vast majority of athletes, running in high zone 5 for over a couple minutes is highly unlikely which indicates, at least to me, that the zones are too low. (To really clarify this, I would not reset my zones based on a one mile average from a race, however, using that one mile average to calculate zones and compare to your set zones may well indicate your set zones are too low - hope that makes sense).

I truly am not trying to be argumentative.  Many, many years ago, back when HR training was first becoming in-vogue, I really struggled with getting my zones set correctly.  Once we finally got it figured out, my progress DRAMATICALLY increased.  I mean DRAMATICALLY increased.  I just don't want you to have the same struggles I had and to maybe learn from my stumbles so you don't have too.

2014-06-04 4:17 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Spencer, New York
Scott, I do appreciate your input & experience. I must be something of a geek because I I interested in the metrics & physiology even when it does not pertain to me. I thought about getting the HR average for the last 2.1 miles, about 20 minutes and not so hard to do, and trying to duplicate that rate in a new LT test. I have to look at my schedule though, as I have a race Saturday this and next, and then am supposed to taper for my first A race.
Now I'll ask you a different HR question: when the Plan refers to bike intervals at LT, does that mean at the top of Zone 4 or just in zone 4?
Deb
2014-06-04 6:06 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
JuneApple, I told Pinksocks you said hi and she said hi too. Send her an e-mail.

Have any of ya'll read Hanson's Marathon training guide. I like the way it reads but wanted opinions. This book just clicked w/ me, the other books I have read did not.

Other books I have recently read and liked: "Finding Ultra, the "China Study" and am currently reading "Born to Run".

Whois racing this weekend?

2014-06-04 7:06 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: catching up.

Lots to catch up on here.

Welcome everyone.

I went on my first MB ride since surgery yesterday. 2 hours and Bill Graves (from BT) and I were the only ones on the trails in the state park. It was an easy-peasy ride for Bill, it whooped my tail. Though, to give myself credit, I did pretty good for not being on that bike since October. This weekend I am going to a women's MB clinic for 3 days. I hope to learn some skilz because I have none. After that it is back to trying to catch up with the training plan for my Oly in 7 weeks (EGAD!)

Karl, I was just down your way to pick my Mom up for the summer. The weather was perfect for swimming.. hint hint!

2014-06-04 7:27 AM

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Wow... You are an inspiration. Sounds like you have a great life. I will have to read about heart rate zones.
2014-06-04 7:50 AM

User image

Upstate, New York
Wow, so much to learn. I tried using a monitor a few years ago but found I ended up worrying about the numbers so much that I was actually not enjoying my runs! Looks like it is time to retry the numbers game and see if it will help; especially with the swimming.
2014-06-04 8:04 AM
in reply to: dogwoman

User image

Spencer, New York
Thanks, dogwoman. Last year I tried following a running program in which the workouts were based on pace. I was usually feeling frustrated because I couldn't make my targets. I did get much faster, but ended the year with a moderately severe injury, probably from overpushing. One thing that makes the BT program pretty doable is that there is only sometimes a prescribed pace. Most of the directions, at least in my plan, are like: "run 40 minutes in zone 2". Or "alternate 3 minute intervals in zone 3 with 2 minutes in zone 1-2." I don't even look at my pace until I'm done. Hopefully, when I get to the A races, it will pay off in terms of increased speed.
2014-06-04 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Robin, glad you had a good ride, sounds like fun.

Monitors/GPS, yea I tried them, it just wasn't for me, it took the fun out so now I run naked..now that is fun..lol... it is funny during races you hear all the beeps going off..everyone waiting for their beep... In a recent 1/2 marathon, I was running and when I got to the finish line I was 16 minutes faster than my prior PR. If I had been running w/ a GPS I might have been saying I can't maintain that pace..slow down... but if on the flip side, if I was running to slow, it could speed my sorry butt up....
karl

2014-06-04 5:24 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Now I'll ask you a different HR question: when the Plan refers to bike intervals at LT, does that mean at the top of Zone 4 or just in zone 4?

Deb

Hey Deb,

When I do threshold interval training on the bike I try to stay in a range of 98-104% LT - that is high zone 4 to low zone 5b. The higher you go, the less time you will spend there.

This is where having your HR zones calculated properly really comes in to play. If your zones are too low, you will train, thinking you are in zone 4-5b when in reality you may be in zone 3-low 4. For most athletes, the difference may only be a few BPM, maybe 5-7?  However the difference in training results are huge!  True threshold training (98-104% of LT) will serve to increase your LT, thereby increasing speed while training in zone 3-low 4 would serve to increase your endurance but likely NOT increase your LT.

Remember also that you need to test LT on both the bike and the run as your LT HR's will likely be different. Using a power meter on the bike is a much more accurate way to determine cycling LT and FTP although unfortunately, power-meters are a rather expensive toy.

Done properly, high zone 4-5b training is painful and since you appear to be a fan of bringing pain upon yourself in training, I will share a good way to do so. On the bike, I am a REALLY big fan of the Sufferfest videos - http://www.thesufferfest.com . They are inexpensive, $12.99 last time I got one. You find the one you want, pay your pennies and download it. Set your bike on the trainer in front of your computer and prepare to be tortured as you ride with some of the best cyclists in the world. Two videos in particular provide EXCELLENT interval workouts - 1) A Very Dark Place, and 2) There is No Try. When you do it right, either of those videos will have you seriously questioning your sanity before you are done. The really cool thing about these videos is that they direct you moment to moment. They are based on RPE however you can certainly substitute HR or power zones if you know them - that has the added benefit of helping to learn the correlation between HR or power and RPE. The videos provide cadence instructions also. If you follow the instructions in the video, I pretty much guarantee you will not walk well when you dismount the bike and you will absolutely KNOW you just completed a really good workout.

2014-06-04 8:04 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by KWDreamun

Monitors/GPS, yea I tried them, it just wasn't for me, it took the fun out so now I run naked..now that is fun..lol... it is funny during races you hear all the beeps going off..everyone waiting for their beep... In a recent 1/2 marathon, I was running and when I got to the finish line I was 16 minutes faster than my prior PR. If I had been running w/ a GPS I might have been saying I can't maintain that pace..slow down... but if on the flip side, if I was running to slow, it could speed my sorry butt up.... karl

Hey Karl,

Nothing wrong with using RPE.  Clarence DeMar won 7 Boston Marathons that way, the most by the way.  And Eddy Merckx won the Tour de France 5 times long before GPS, power-meters or HR monitors were a twinkle in anyone's eye.  Listening to your body is becoming a lost art today.

2014-06-05 5:57 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Originally posted by KWDreamun

JuneApple, I told Pinksocks you said hi and she said hi too. Send her an e-mail.

Have any of ya'll read Hanson's Marathon training guide. I like the way it reads but wanted opinions. This book just clicked w/ me, the other books I have read did not.

Other books I have recently read and liked: "Finding Ultra, the "China Study" and am currently reading "Born to Run".

Whois racing this weekend?

Hi Karl! I read the Hanson's book and used it for one of my marathons. It was okay but I needed more distance on my long runs. I felt unprepared after 20 miles. I think Run Less Run Faster is a great plan, especially if doing tris. Take my advice cautiously because I LOVE to do long runs! Another great read is Alberto Salazar's 14 Minutes.

I'm doing a sprint this weekend! Who else is racing?
2014-06-05 6:06 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Scott, I hope I didn't offend you or anyone on here about not using electronics while training. I know they are good tools for a lot of people. I'm technology challenged anyway (1 time I ran w/ a gps amd it was still hooked up to the charger)...and it was not fun waiting for the beep, trying to figure out if I was going to gast or to slow. Sometimes I feel like running and want to go faster, sometime I'm just tired or it is humid or whatever and want to go slow.

I'm just doing this for health and to stay in shape, well trying to get in shape.

I did go to your site. Wow you are impressive with the swimming. I am such a poor swimmer I'm probably quitting tris and sticking with biking and running. I have taken lessons and for some reason it just does not click for me, Oh I got better but it still was awful, usually in the very last in the swim and had to make up for it on the bike and run. My hat is off to you for being such a good swimmer! I'm envious!!!

karl

2014-06-05 8:27 AM
in reply to: tremblaytrails

User image

Regular
My apologies for my delay in responding....busy at work in advance of a few days away.

We'd be glad to have you join our forum group.

Post up your story so we can get to know you better!

Steve

2014-06-05 8:52 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Packing for Boise 70.3
Hi Gang:

Well, I'm nearly packed. I'm about to fix breakfast and then I'll head to the basement to disassemble my bike and pack it into my bike box for the flight to Boise. I'm in full-on taper mode now!

We'll get to Boise this afternoon and I'll head over to the race site to pick up my packet and race number. There is a briefing at 5:30 this evening, so I'll probably attend that one versus going tomorrow. I learned at the Nationals a couple of years ago that pre-race briefings can be valuable after I swam off course and added about 300 yards to an Olympic distance swim.

Friday will be a goof off day and the race is Saturday. It will be kind of a weird start. The race doesn't go off until noon vs. the normal 7:00 a.m. start...so I'll just kind of be hanging out all morning. It will be nice to sleep in, but I'm sure I'll be cursing the the late start when I get to the run in the full heat of the afternoon sun. It's supposed to be a warm race...mid-80's.

I'm not sure what to expect on my time. My swim will probably be close to what I did in Florida, although my pool training has been sporadic due to a lot of business travel. My bike performance should be similar although the course has a few more hills, wind will be a factor and I need to hold back more to save up for the run. And I'm hoping my run will be about 8-10 minutes faster. So, I think if I could hit the same 5:18 I did in Florida, it will have been a pretty good day. I think if I have a solid race a top 5 finish in my age group is possible, but obviously there are a lot of variables in play.

Have a great finish to your training week. Good luck to other gray guys/girls racing this weekend. I'll post something up on Sunday with my race report.

Best,

Steve
2014-06-05 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Packing for Boise 70.3
Steve. good luck, enjoy the race and we are expecting a great RR when you get back!!! Enjoy the day! and the whole event.
2014-06-05 9:06 AM

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Good Luck .... Have Fun
2014-06-05 10:19 AM
in reply to: dogwoman

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Good Luck Steve and anyone else doing races this weekend, I look forward to catching up with everyone after your races.
I am in the packing mode myself, getting ready to head home bright and early Sunday morning, 15 hours of flying and a quick stop in Spain.
Looking forward to getting home and start training with my club and getting back on the bike.
I'll probably be offline for the most part for a week or so, so good luck and enjoy the weekend!

Dan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 48164 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51166 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31