BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-01-30 5:07 PM
in reply to: #673271

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL

keith slattery - 2007-01-30 3:14 PM Ryan had given me some advise as to how to help the pounding in my legs while I am trying to push myself from a walk jog to eventually a straight jog. He said to "shorten my stride".

When I shorten my stride should I slow down my pace? The natural thing to think would be yes but the natural reaction was to run faster with shorter steps. Is this just the competitve nature in me coming out?

On the walking part of my walk/jog I noticed a tendency to walk with longer strides. I could feel it in the groin while walking but it would quickly disapear while I started to jog again. Should I be shortening my stride on a walk which would enturn slow down my pace on the treadmill as well? For something I have been doing all my life it feels as if Im learning to do it over again.

This was kind of the direction the posts were going next, but since you brought it up already, I'll introduce a short primer here, then try to break these elements down in the the next couple of weeks (or hopefully shorter time span).

There's a lot of information out there right now on what I will call the "new" running form, which takes a bunch of different names depending on who it comes from and their subtle nuance on the technique.  You might have already heard about some of these, for example Chi Running, Pose Running, high cadence running, forward lean, etc.  I learned it from a guy named Bobby McGee, mentioned in Ryan's post above, and I'm totally, unquivocally 100% sold on the technique.  The basic concept of this new style of running is to stop the old "leap and land" form and move to a more controlled, efficient, directed, and less impactful style of running. 

The basic tenets of this style of running are:

(1) Slight forward lean (from the ankles, not the hips).  The idea is to direct the momentum of your running forward, instead of standing straight up, or worse, leaning back slightly and forcing your muscles to propel you forward;

(2) Increasing your cadence (# of times your foot strikes the ground, typically measured per minute).  By studying elite runners, Bobby McGee and others discovered that the most efficient runners in the world run with a cadence of 96+.  There are now reports of elite level runners and triathletes completing marathon distance races with cadences upward of 105.  This naturally means a shorter stride.  These same running experts agree that 75% of runners overstride (reach too far forward, kick too far back). Shortening the stride and picking up the cadence means you go just as fast with much higher efficiency and less impact. 

(3) Mid-body foot strike.  The point here is to move the foot strike in and under the body.  By reaching out with the heal, you're impeding forward progress.  Again, that old style is "leap and land" or "propel and brake."  It's slow, it hurts, and it's really inefficient.  The new style is to let your legs and feet roll underneath you while allowing your forward momentum to carry you with less muscular effort.

(4) Head slightly down, gazing forward 6-10 feet.  This is one of the most difficult technique points for those of us who like to sight-see while we run (especially in CO, where's there's lots to look at).  The idea is to keep your head slightly forward to accentuate the forward lean.  That big orb on top of your neck will blow your form faster than anything if your eyes are up looking around.  I have to constantly work on this, but I can tell you that seeing 26.2 miles of pavement 6 feet in front of my face at the R&R marathon paid off with less fatigue, quicker leg recovery, and a faster overall time.

(5) Shoulders relaxed, arms swing naturally, with elbows bent at 90-130 degrees, arms tight to your sides, elbows driving to the rear.  Long technique point to say a couple of important things: (a) most people have a tendency (like me) to pin their shoulders back and stick their chest out, OR round their shoulders forward creating tension across the back, OR shrugging shoulders upwards towards their ears (especially when attempting to run fast or after they get tired).  Any of these shoulder problems wastes energy and results in improper form; (b) arms must drive to the rear to balance the forward lean and high cadence.  In order to properly lean forward, your body must find a rear balance point to stay upright.  Most people will tend to reach out with the foot, which only reemphasizes the braking action, instead of allowing the elbow to swing high in the back to balance the forward lean.  This is hard, but practice will pay off; (c) Watch most people and you will see that they run with elbows out to the side, swinging laterally, rotating their torso side to side.  That motion impedes forward progress, slows you down, and wastes energy.  Keep the elbows tight to the side, brushing your shirt or jacket on every arm swing.  Two mental drills to practice: (i) imagine headlights on your elbows that you want to shine straight ahead on the forward swing, straight down at your side, or straight back at the back of the swing, OR (ii) imagine you're wearing rubber elbow pads, and every arm swing you "grab" a wooden rail and pull yourself through leaning on your elbow.

(6) While keeping your hips steady straight forward, rotate your torso slightly to accentuate the muscular dynamic between upper/lower body.  This sounds odd, and it's harder to write than demonstrate, but the basic concept is that you allow your torso to rotate slightly in order to take advantage of the power generated by your core muscles.  With all this other stuff going on, runners have a tendency to freeze the upper body, inhibiting a natural running rotation and slowing themselves down.

Those are kind of the macro points (can you believe there's more detail?).  This is hard stuff, and it takes a loooong time to master.  I took Bobby McGee's clinic last fall, and I'm about 60% of having this all right, settled and comfortable.  From a complete beginner standpoint, this is the kind of thing that you start working on now, and hope that in 1 year you have modified your form and gained some efficiency, but also recognize that it will be a career long (athletic career) process trying to perfect the form.

The number one thing to start practicing is the shorter stride, higher cadence.  But realize that if you try to get to 96 cadence in 3 runs, you'll probably injure yourself.  Take it slow, if you want to work on this stuff, and in the middle of a run try shortening your stride and picking up the cadence.  At first, 80 will be hard, but it will come around.  I have one of those Finnis Tempo Trainers that James mentioned in a post about swimming a couple of weeks ago, and that works great for have a "metronome" - so that you can match cadence to a known number of beeps/minute.

So to directly answer Keith's questions: No, don't slow the pace when you shorten the stride, pick up the cadence and run the same pace.

Same with walking (during a workout).  Try shortening the stride when walking recoveries, but keep your feet turning over.  Work on the lean while walking as well, and swing your arms when you walk like you would when you run, with hands high and elbows bent.

Yes, unfortunately this feels like starting all over again.  But for me, never having been coached as a runner, it finally felt like I was doing something right instead of just pounding my knees silly while plodding along.

Sorry for the long post, but this is a detailed and intricate topic.

Edited by Gearwhore 2007-01-30 5:11 PM

2007-01-30 5:09 PM
in reply to: #631977

Racing for beer sounds like the ideal motavation to me.
2007-01-30 5:17 PM
in reply to: #673331

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

keith slattery - 2007-01-30 3:51 PM I guess its my turn to post a poll as I am torn here. Sunday = Super Bowl Sunday. option #1) Run the Pacific Shoreline 5k (Huntington Beach , Ca) not a bad option. lots of fun. Always some good talent running around to look at while running with sunglasses. option #2) Run the Redondo Beach 5k leaning this way considering its sponsored by Asahi (Beer) I have run this one twice in years past for that very reason. How many races give out free beer after a race? I could see how this could lead to injury although probably not exercise related. Do I take the risk of getting injured while training for my first tri? I noticed that James was considering doing a race this weekend. Anyone else racing? Is it normal to want to race for beer?

Run the Redondo at like 70% effort, basically as a workout, drink some beers after, then watch the game (while drinking more beers).  Don't run hard though, too early to be hammering out a hard race, and unfortunately, not quite enough base in yet to go out for a super hard run. 

2007-01-30 5:31 PM

I do have a question that many of you may know the answer to. This is not a running question and I do not want to sidetrack what is coming out right now because it is needed and valuable info we can all use.
My question is about swimming. What do you guys feel is the best distance to train at given the furthest distance I am swimming this season will be about 850 meters? Should I swim double my competetion distance or should I focus on some distance somewhere between race and training distance?
2007-01-30 5:39 PM
in reply to: #673373

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

whoopekats - 2007-01-30 4:31 PM I do have a question that many of you may know the answer to. This is not a running question and I do not want to sidetrack what is coming out right now because it is needed and valuable info we can all use. My question is about swimming. What do you guys feel is the best distance to train at given the furthest distance I am swimming this season will be about 850 meters? Should I swim double my competetion distance or should I focus on some distance somewhere between race and training distance?

Can you tell I'm bored at work today? 

My take is that you are the only one who can answer this question, as there is no magic distance to preparing for races.  What does your schedule allow?  One hour of swimming 3x/week?  If so, then work up to going as far as you can go.  You can't swim "too far" because it will only increase your general fitness and endurance.  If you have a time limitation though, swim shorter and try to get more quality out of your workouts.

In general, for short distance races, you want to go "over-distance" in your training.  So for a sprint, it's a good idea to be able to very comfortably swim double the race distance, cylcle double the bike distance, and run double.  But not critical.  In fact, for my first tri my longest training run going into the race was the same distance as the race.  For long distance racing, this rule does not apply (for half iron, and especially iron distance).  Most plans will still have you cover the full distance in training for a half, but almost all IM plans max out well short of the full race distance for biking and especially for running.

Having said all that, once you get over about 1000 meters total distance in your swim workouts, it's time to start stringing together longer segments.  So, if in 1000 meters total workout you can only go 100 meters without stopping at all for breath, try to double that, then triple it, etc. 

2007-01-30 5:55 PM

User image

So let me see if I understand your question for racing this weekend: 1) run a race where the " scenery" is more than inviting or run a race where there is free beer afterwards. Well being the married man I am the scenery would be just that but he BEER would actually be attainable.

I vote for the BEER! As a matter of fact I am going to go have one right now in the name of the GEARWHORE TRIBE!!!!!!

2007-01-30 6:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
You guy's crack me up. I have been miserable all day today as my foot is all swollen and sore...But getting home and reading your articles has cheered me up and I am going to get on the trainer for an hour and do some core.

As I always tell my wife when I am admiring the scenery, "Just because I am on a diet doesn't mean I can't look at the menu"

But I second you I would defo choose the free beer...

2007-01-31 10:32 PM

I feel kinda bad for you guys over on the east side of Co. Another week and another snow storm. Having been to Denver last week and seen some of the residential areas I understand some of the complaints.
Well I hope things settle because we are going to another show there this weekend. Will be back Sunday in time for the game but looking like it will remain really cold through the weekend.
Having said that, are you guys getting outside at all to train or is it all inside? With the highs said to be between 0 and 13 how do you handle cold weather training? I do not want to not train outside but the cold can have a detrimental effect on my asthma. What gear do you use if you do train outside and do you use any special winter gear other than some of the usually things we wear to keep warm?
2007-02-01 8:03 AM

User image

Indiana weather - 20 degrees for the high 5 for the low. I have about 2" inches of frozen stuff outside, the worst thing is the wind. It has been blowing about 15 - 20 MPH.

This time of year when I get outside I do 99% of my training on trails; 1) the woods, hill, and valleys provide natural wind blocks. This makes it seem as though the trail is at least 10 degrees warmer, 2) I feel you can get a more intense workout in a shorter amount of time when you are traversing single track either on foot or bike, 3) I love the natural beauty of the trail in wintertime. I am a bit of an "outdoorsman" and I love to count wildlife, identify tracks in the snow and generally commune with nature on the trail.

As far as clothing, make sure you are not overdressed. You should start off being just a little cold because you will definatly warm up. Layers are the way to go as we all know. A few things that are often overlooked this time of year. WATER - you still have to hydrate so make sure you wear a fuel belt of sometype if you are out for an extended period of time, GLASSES - I always wear some form of glasses to keep the cold out of my eyes, CHAPSTICK - protect your lips from the elements, BANDANA - I always tie a bandana around my neck, can be used to wipe sweat, or used to cover up your face ( bankrobber style) when the wind is really whiping. I always take a change of close with me for after the run or ride. The ride home is alot more comfortable with a dry warm sweatshirt on.
2007-02-01 10:15 AM
in reply to: #675158

User image

Expert
Denver

Adding to all the good points Brian said, if you're out during the day, make sure the glasses are sunglasses. Snow has the second most reflective properties (behind quartz) and can be pretty intense on your eyes. His point about water and hydration is a particularly good one that often gets overlooked. As for what to wear, it's all about layering. If at all possible DO NOT wear cotton against your skin. It just absorbs the sweat and holds it against your skin making you colder. If you have any technical wear (polypropylene, merino wool, etc.) wear that as your base layer so it wicks the sweat/moisture away. I'm pretty sure you can also get these things fairly cheap at Target, etc.

Adam and I were able to get a ride in outside last Sunday, but other than that outdoor training has been tough to come by. We were both decently layered on the bikes that day too, but never got cold even though I think the high was 32*. Everyone around here's counting the days until some warmer weather hits so we can run and bike outdoors consistently again!

2007-02-01 1:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Been a while since we have had a pop quizz. So here we go and see my answers.

What Steed do you own: 2006 Scott Speedster S20 Roadbike.

What do you like about it: Has a chunky large frame which I like, also it is very sexy, Really bright red and Black, almost looks like it has flames. People in my Tri Cycle group often comment on it's looks.

What Could be Improved: The Seat is a torture device apparently a common complaint about Scott bikes. If I was ever going to compete in more than an olympic I would change this. I really don't like the gears on the handles but this is common on road bikes.

What made you buy it: The feeling of control, I tried about 10 bikes including a secialized Tri bike, given the amount of hills in Connecticut I thought the speedster was the best option for me as corners well and climbs and desends well, I never felt in control on the Tri bike, all over the place. finally I got a $800 discount which swung the deal on this bike.

What is your next bike: I have agreed with my wife I can by a Felt B2 tri bike if and when I do an Ironman............Awesome bike......I go to the local bike shop and dribble at it weekly. $3,500 for the base model unfortunately 8-(

http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=9816

My Bike is in above link, mine is way better looking though.....until I get on it 8-)

2007-02-01 2:36 PM
in reply to: #675798

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

jamesG - 2007-02-01 12:43 PM What Steed do you own: What do you like about it: What Could be Improved: What made you buy it: What is your next bike: 

Be warned, I'm the Gearwhore for a reason:

Roadie: Cervelo R3 in CSC team colors with Mavic Ksyrium SSC-SL wheelset, FSA flat-top carbon bars (I have never loved a bike more than I love this bike).

Backup/Trainer Roadie: Scattante cheapie aluminum frame with Ultegra build-out and Easton Vista wheelset (replaced the Specialized road frame that I broke, swapped components straight across).  I actually really like this bike.  It's nothing to look at, but it's functional and tough, and I have no qualms about riding it in slick conditions or pounding the crap out of it on the trainer.

Tri-bike: Orbea Alletta with Zipp 404 wheelset.  I don't love my tri bike.  The components are fine, Ultegra, but the bike has never fit me well.  I do, however, love the 404s - that is a freakin' unbelievably fast wheelset.  Literally makes you 1 mph faster.

Mountain Bike: Specialized Stumpjumper full suspension.  Like it okay, but I don't get enough mtb time in to be any good, so this ends up being a hack around bike for the off-season or REALLY bad weather riding.

Cruiser bike: Electra single-speed with a coaster brake.  This bike reminds me of being 5 years old and riding in my neighborhood.  My wife and I ride our cruisers to get ice cream in the summer, and it is a ridiculously fantastic simple pleasure.

Commuter Bike: single speed built on a Nashbar mountain bike frame from spare parts in my garage.  I barely ride this thing, honestly, I just built it to build a bike and because I could.  I learned a lot in the process, and it is actually fun to ride.

I love them all in their own special way.

I'm having seat troubles lately on both roadies, and want to try one of those new Specialized Toupe specialized designed to keep the blood flowing to the nether regions.

I want a bike for every purpose.

Next, I would really like to have a cross bike, but the top tube on my tri bike is a titch long, so I think I'll be shopping for a new carbon TT frame first.  I'm slobbering over the Kuota Kaliber at the moment.

2007-02-01 2:41 PM
in reply to: #675877

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Fuc* me - ever thought of opening a bike shop?, your garage must look like a tip.

Agree with you on the Kuota Klaiber, I could just as easily swith my desire to one of these instead of the Felt................

2007-02-01 2:49 PM
in reply to: #675884

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

jamesG - 2007-02-01 1:41 PM Fuc* me - ever thought of opening a bike shop?, your garage must look like a tip. Agree with you on the Kuota Klaiber, I could just as easily swith my desire to one of these instead of the Felt................

Between my wife and I, we have, I think, 11 bikes in the garage.  She has a road, mountain and cruiser, and we have a back up cruiser.  I have them all on stands and it looks like a bike shop in there.  Makes me smile every time I see it.

2007-02-01 2:53 PM
in reply to: #675898

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I am so envious.....................I have my rode bike, a crappy old Trek mountain bike. My son has a Thomas the tank engine bike with trainer wheels and my daughter has a Barbie bike on trainer wheels. That works out at 1 bike per person ownership in my house vs a 5.5 in your household...........
2007-02-01 3:43 PM

User image

I can't top the 11 bike count but here is what you will find in my stable:

FELT S22 - Officially known as the Bumble Bee bike by my son. To date I have zero complaints about his bike. I would like to upgrade the wheelset eventually but I am going to fine tune the engine first.

TREK 6700 mountain bike - This is my trail warrior. I have put her through alot over the past year and she has not let me down. I am amazed at the abuse this bike can take.

GIANT TRANCE mountain bike - this is my adventure racing bike for now. It is a fairly inexpensive bike and the geometry feels good for adventure racing.

CANNONDALE 800 - old road bike that I still use to ride around the neighborhood. This was my first " real" bike so I will probably hand on to it. It is the coolest shade of green I have ever seen.

NISHIKI MANITOBA - commuter bike. I have customized this bike to be commuter friendly ( fenders, lights, bags etc). This bike belonged to a really good friend of mine who unfortunatly took his own life about a year ago. Kind of a tribute thing to keep riding it.

I am looking at purchasing a Trek 8000 mountain bike in the near future. The adventure team I race with has picked up a Trek sponsor and we get a HUGE discount on bikes ( darn the luck). I am also looking at getting a new road bike some time this year, my wife is in the market as well so we will probably double up on a purchase soon.

My wife and I would also love to get our hands on a tandem. We have this grand idea about riding Napa valley together in the next few years.

2007-02-01 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA

You all put me to shame!

I only have two ponys in the stable...

I have a GT Outpost Mountain Bike, cant even remember any of the goodies I have on it because I haven't ridden it in over a year.

As for the tri bike I tried out about 6 or 7 bikes and felt the most comfortable on the Kuota K-Factor. Yes the Kaliber felt a lot nicer but I couldn't afford the extra $2k with all of the components. So far the K-Factor is treating me well and I feel it will get me more than where I need to be come the Philly Tri.  I honestly never thought I would say this in my life time but I feel like I am starting to enjoy the run more than any of the other aspects of Tri. My entire life I hated to run but now I look forward to it... go figure! Enjoy the night fellas.

2007-02-02 8:20 AM

User image

This has nothing to do with the world of triathlons ( or maybe it does), I just caught a commercial for the Boomerang carton network. What was your favorite vintage cartoon while growing up and what is your favorite cartoon now ( if you have kids you have to have a favorite).

VINTAGE: WALLY GATOR - I loved it when he sped thru the swamps in his boat.

MODERN: ED, EDD & EDDIE - stupid fun with a cool jazzy type intro music

2007-02-02 8:39 AM
in reply to: #676564

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
VINTAGE - Road Runner - I used to love the way that Coyote got blowen up, fell of cliffs etc....

CURRENT - Dora the Explorer - I have no choice my 2 year old from the moment he wakes up yells Dora Dora, and I have to sit with him.........Chris* I have turned into a sad old git.

Happy training all...
2007-02-02 11:17 AM
in reply to: #675877

User image

Expert
Denver

Bikes. I just want to ride mine outside again.

Road Bike: Cervelo R3 (carbon) in CSC team colors with Mavic Ksyrium SSC-SL wheels, FSA flat-tp carbon bars, Ultegra components, and a DuraAce crankset with an ergomo powermeter installed. Sound familiar? Yeah, I basically ride the exact same bike as Adam. Only difference now is that I put an ergomo on mine and have red bar tape. But like him, I love love love this bike. Light as can be and stiff as can be at the same time. It's ridiculous how stiff the bottom bracket is and how much more responsive it is as a result. Especially while climbing. I road more than a handful of bikes when I made my decision and found myself comparing them all to his. I can't find a bad thing to say about this bike.

Backup Road Bike: Felt F60 with Ultegra components and Easton Vista wheels. (Adam's wrong in his backup bike. He has an Easton Vista SL wheelset - not a huge difference though other than 100 grams of weight.). This was my first real bike that I bought and used when I got into tris. It's a road bike, but I had clip-on aerobars on it for a while that I've since taken off. Still use it to ride outside when the conditions are less than ideal. Rides well and is a good bike, but I wouldn't cry as long if I crashed on this as I would my R3.

Tri Bike: Guru TriLite with Zipp 404 (clinchers) wheels. Aluminum frame with Ultegra components and an ergomo powermeter installed. The training wheels I use for this are my Mavic Cosmos. Aside from having some issues in dropping the chain early last year, I like this bike. It's at a point now where it's comfortable and it rides really well. I may still end up replacing it for something that fits a little better, but it's still a solid bike all the way around. Riding on the 404s makes me want a pair of 303s for racing (or 202s for climbing days. )! That will have to wait though.

Mountain Bike: Yeti 575 with a Fox Float for the front suspension. I MTB more in the off season, but really ended up enjoying it. Don't get to do it enough, but I still like my road bike more. That said, this bike lets me ride stuff that's otherwise over my head and is a solid bike through and through.

Next Bike: Road or Tri? Next bike purchase will probably be a tri bike, possibly at the end of the year. We'll see how this season goes and what my plans (and budget) are for next year. Plenty of bikes to try out, but initially I'd lean towards the Elite Razor or Razor Carbon. The Guru Crono looks pretty nice too, as does the Kuota Kalibur. Gotta ride them first and see where I end up. At the top of my wish list for road bikes (and this one will have to wait a while, if ever) is a Pinarello Paris FP Carbon with a Campagnolo Record gruppo.

2007-02-02 5:55 PM

User image

Expert
Denver

Just had a thought while looking through some of the logs and reading inspires. James mentioned the onset of a few minor aches and pains. You guys have all had a really good month of being consistent with your training. And among other things, one thing you'll notice in particular is that as your body continues to adjust to the workload and stresses, there will be a number of little aches and pains that pop up out of nowhere. Some will last a night, some will last a few days, if not a week. And then right when you're getting worried about them they'll disappear like they were never a problem. The key is recognizing if they're real issues or if it's just your body adjusting. This was one of the things that seemed to be a constant topic of conversation for Adam and me last year - kind of a 'what hurts today' scenario. Just keep being smart about things and listen to your body. If it means cutting a workout a little short, no problem. And be sure to take advantage of the rest weeks too! You won't realize it at first, but about mid-week into it you'll realize just how much your body was wanting that. And possibly a couple beers. Ya know, to help with the pain.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

2007-02-03 11:26 AM

Ok boys and girls,
Colts or Bears. I would like to see the Colts win but will not be real upset if the Bears pull it off. If that were to occur though The defense would have to have a monster day and Peyton would have to implode. I think Manning is due a big game, he hasn't had one in awhile and this is why I think it may be the Colts tomorrow night.
We will be bbqing and knocking a couple back. Hope you all have a good time also.
See Ya'
2007-02-03 1:21 PM

User image

You know I am going with the COLTS. I agree Peyton and Marvin are due for a big game. I think the way the running game for the COLTS has come around we will be able to keep the bears defense on their heals most of the game. And don't forget about Vinateri!!
2007-02-03 3:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I can only see the Colts winning, Rex Grossman can't compare with Manning.

Enjoy all.........
2007-02-03 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

I think if the Colts show up at all they win, by 3.  If they play well, could be 7-10, and a blowout isn't out of the question if Manning has a career game.

Cartoons, since I skipped that earlier - Classic - Bugs Bunny, always like Bugs.  Modern - Simpsons.  I know, it's not a kids cartoon, but I love that show.

Have a good rest of the weekend and enjoy the game tomorrow.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11