Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
Thanks Rich!

2007-05-24 4:03 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Veteran
Miami
Rich ,and you had the audacity to call me an animal for signing up to an Oly in Spt, and you bike an entire state to get to work!!!! LOL!!!! WOW!
Thankfully I can be persuasive, so I know I will convince my friends to have a little triathlon fun time- we can rent bikes right?! i found a nice 10 mile trail close to their home !! (thank god for google!!!)
I convinced them once I can do it again!!!!! weee haaa!!

Everyone have fun in the long weekend! I'll have jamba juice in y'lls honor!!
2007-05-24 11:15 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Looks like I have some catching up to do! Work was insane today, hence no checking in. But we've got a nice, long weekend ahead of us!

Tonight was the JP Morgan Corporate Challenege and I was able to pace sub-10:30 the whole race. The last half mile I paced sub-8:00 which is totally crazy.

The hubby and I started HIM discussions tonight. It's a goal of ours over the next year. I keep thinking to myself...let me get through my first tri before even thinking about a HIM. Eek!

Must get some sleep...tomorrow I'm hitting the pool, and hopefully the bike! But the best part....tomorrow is a 60 minute massage. Nothing beats a relaxation workout!

2007-05-24 11:22 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

whoa....back it up....

you bike 65 miles one way to work?

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYUM. I am massively impressed, Rich!

2007-05-25 12:36 AM
in reply to: #816400

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Barb!

Excellent work on the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge! And you negative split your second half! Good Show!

Ooohhh your husband is hooked! There is no way to talk him out of it! Well, if you decide not to do the HIM, maybe there will be an Olympic distance race the day before or day after. You guys can train together!

Have a good swim tomorrow and definitely enjoy the massage. I incorporate a Sports Massage into my training regime. I buy packages of 10 at a time. I might need one after biking 130 miles today and then swam for 30 minutes (easy) tonight to stretch the muscles.

To arrest any fears, I will be sleeping in until 7:30 tomorrow (5/25) and won't be exercising in the morning. I have a hydrostatic weight test at 10:00 AM so we will see how I am doing on getting closer to my goal.

Have a Good One everyone!

Rich

2007-05-25 6:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
OMG Rich! I would never be able to work after riding 65 miles! Holy cow!

My 32 mile ride through the hills kicked my butt last night. (But I made it; even though everything hurt by the end and I was fantasising about just stopping and calling for rescue.)

Okay, I guess you're not lazy or sleeping in.

I'm in heaven. Work is quiet as can be. I'm only here for 4 hours today. Get to run some errands and then I'm thinking of trying out my new tri suit -- maybe bike to the Y, swim, then bike back. I think it's only about 8 miles each way, which would make for a nice recovery ride.

Maybe even have time for a nap before driving out to my Dads...I did not get good sleep last night OR the night before and it's catching up with me.

2007-05-25 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Rich- most definitely u are not sleeping in as we thought you were...he he my bad!! Cris thought so too!! he he so our bad!!! You seriously better have gone down on body fat%, I am positive u did. If not then you know the answer .....no more 2 am white castle trips and NOooooo you can't justify it by going BIKING to get there

GUYS i got my BIKE!! I am sooo totally thrilled its not even funny!!!1 man its soo pretty and i got shoes and the whole SHHHBANG!!!! got 10% discount too!! i get fitted tuesday!!! weeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I just found out, one of my friends did her first tri last month and she got 5th place!!! im so proud of her( she was my best budd in law school) Her hubby is doing HI in Sept!!!

TaKE care of all you!mwak
2007-05-25 8:44 AM
in reply to: #816599

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Well....let's see some photos of that hot new ride!! Congrats on the wheels....now you gotta get out there and break it in!
2007-05-25 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Yes! We need to see your new ride, Caru!

Okay...must...get ready...to go run. I'm going to break 20 miles this week. WOoo!

2007-05-25 10:14 AM

User image

Houston
pictures we want pictures!!
2007-05-25 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
guys here is the link to see my bike. i dont have pics yet , 'cause its at the shop getting fit to my size!!!! The guy a the shop showed me nicer bikes KUOTAS, QUintana, and other like SUPER Super nice bikes over $8,000!!!!
I was like:" mmmmmmm yeah.... I'm not a surgeon I can't afford that". (Plus no offense,but you could feed a whole country with that money ) FYI: In Pakistan and some south American countries, you can build a school and maintain it for a WHOLE year with food and supplies for only :$ 2, 500 dollars!!!! isn't that crazy! (sorry about that side note)

Anyways, when I have my puppy I will totally take pics.
Hey, it's only fair that y'all share pics of your rides!!!! come on show them!!

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=21898

2007-05-25 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
SMOKIN' HOT! What are you going to name the new family member?
2007-05-25 10:48 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Your bike looks awesome! Well done!
2007-05-25 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Thanks guys!!!
name it, hmmmmmmm I gotta spend more time with it to know what her name is. It's totally a girl though! yeah!
2007-05-25 11:18 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Pimp my ride, Caru!  Now you need a tri suit to match!  A girl's gotta look good!

Great Job on the challenge, Barb...sub 8...fantastic!

Christine, nice bike ride...

I feel so left out when I don't check in continually!  This can be addicting! 

Hey Rich, I weighed myself about 2 weeks ago and the scaled showed I lost 2lbs.  I thought it was just a fluke...well, I weighed again this morning and I'm even a lb. lighter!  Everytime I want to put junk food in my mouth, you pop in my head!  Whatever...it's working!  It has to be the hour long weight lifting class 2x a week and the new swimming regime, too.  I've been running since Sept. with no significant weight lose...except clothes aren't as tight...I guess my muscles needed a change of pace.  YIPPEE!  (and the food intake thingamajig)

I'm going to my niece's high school graduation this weekend...everyone have a safe, restful holiday!

Angela 

2007-05-25 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Happy Memorial Day, New Bike, and Hydrostatic Test Results
Hey Gang! Before everyone gets away (too late?). Have a GREAT and SAFE Memorial Weekend!

Caru: Nice ride! I like the 12-26 cassette in the back! Will be easier on the hills! Good Job! You did good! Very smart shopping! Yeah! We want pictures with you on the bike in a matching outfit! (That is the one thing my wife insists.....that my bike matches my uniform!

Angela: GREAT JOB on the weight loss. Based on what you are writing, you are not only loosing weight, but you are gaining some lean body mass, loosing body fat and toning up! As you know, it isn't easy! KUDOS! There is method to my madness!

So here is my report on my hydrostatic test!

Since I started this regime, I have lost 4.4% body fat which equates to 11.2 pounds of body fat or 39200 calorie deficit over 119 days. On average, it is a 330 daily calorie deficit. That is a very achievable deficit without starving yourself, maintaining a strong training regime, and building a good cardio base. Here are more details:

DATE WEIGHT LEAN MUSCLE(lbs) BODY FAT (lbs.) BODY FAT %
01/26/2007 212.0 lbs 164.9 47.1 22.2%
03/23/2007 207.0 lbs 166.4 40.6 19.6%
05/25/2007 201.5 lbs 165.6 35.9 17.8%

My average body weight loss is 2.62lbs per month.
My average decrease in body fat % is 2.80lbs per month.

This is a healthy decrease that will garner a longer lasting weight loss that will result in long term weight loss versus the yo-yo affect. Angela is starting to experience results in a similar manner.

Now, I'll tell you a secret!!!! I can relate to Barb's sentiment about logging! It can be tedious, it can be tiresome, and it can be time consuming. BUT, I had to start off logging everything so that I would build a consistent routine. The last two months, I slacked off a little bit about logging....it got old, but I also didn't see the results that I saw the first two months. That could be lack of discipline or it could be that it is becoming increasing more difficult to loose the weight and the body fat as I get closer to my goal. Hmmmmmmmmm! I'm just sharing with you my inner thoughts!

Now ..... the naming of the bike ....... it is a very personal thing! My bike has a name, too! His name is Bhaltair. (Being 100% Scottish, the bike needed a solid Scottish name). The meaning of Bhaltair is "Mighty Warrior". Some definitions refer to "Mighty Horse Warrior". I find myself every once in a while coaxing Bhaltair to run the rider in front of me down. It is an aggressive name and fits racing perfectly! So Caru, name your bike very carefully!

Have a GREAT one everyone!

Rich

2007-05-25 5:19 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Caru...that bike is SOOO SEXY! You'll definitely have to share its name with us. I still don't have a name for my beast just yet. Hmm...although "beast" could very well work.

On another note...went to the Y to swim today....they soooooooo don't offer the % of body fat. BOO. I think someone at my hubby's clinic may be able to do it for me, so we'll see.

Running and swimming went over well today. I just wanted to pop on and see the new bike before heading out to my massage....ahhhh...60 minutes of pure bliss. Ooooh AND I got my new running kicks and a new tri jersey. It's beautiful! I'll post picks when I get home.

Catch up with you kids later!

PS....logging is tedius...but I'm so much more conscious about what I'm putting in my mouth right now. Plus I like having stuff to add every day to share with you guys.

2007-05-27 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
This posting and blogging business is addicting and I think I figured out part of why...

My family and (some) friends are already tired of hearing about this training ride and that training run and nutrition plans. And they have no training or racing plans to tell me about.

YOU guys, on the other hand!...

So I'm out in the countryside at my Dads (on my wireless laptop - I love technology! :-) and couldn't wait to post my training from yesterday and tell you guys about swimming in the river. It's hard. I can honestly say it's the first time I have had serious doubts about my ability to finish the race.

Swimming up-current is tough and it is NOthing like swimming in a pool. My first tri starts in a river that is slightly bigger than the one I was in yesterday, but I have no idea how the currents stack up. I just know it was hard and a bit scarier than even the lake.

Any advise anyone?
2007-05-27 7:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Christine!

I hear you on the addiction! The only way I was able to convince my wife to join me on my recon trip to Napa Valley was that there were wineries. My wife, my best man and his wife are going to be my SAG.....except I made the BIG mistake not checking to see how MANY wineries were on the bike route. In the first 20 miles there has to be 30 to 40 wineries. I'll never see them!!!!!! Our friends ask my wife (when I don't go with her) "Where's Rich?" Her reply: "Ohhh off doing some triathlon thingie!" So this is our safe haven!

River Swimming: Well, I'm not sure how fast the current was in the river you were swimming in, but be assured that everyone will be in the same boat. I've been told, although I've never swam upstream in a river, that do the best you can going up stream and negative split going back. I'll be swimming just over a half-mile upstream in the Vineman 70.3.

Are you arriving the day before the race at the triathlon site? If so, get wet! Test the water. It may not be as bad as you may think and will be a confidence builder! I'll also check around on swimming up river in a triathlon.

Rich

2007-05-28 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hope everyone had a great weekend! Don't forget to update your training logs. Also, let's hear a weekend report......Hope you all had a GREAT time!

Rich
2007-05-28 7:48 PM
in reply to: #819489

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hello all! Hope you had a great weekend! Mine was nice and quiet - time with family - much needed.  Workouts were good, pretty solid.  I did add a run after my Saturday bike and it felt better than I expected it would.  My run today was not as good, but I ran in the afternoon and got overheated.  I guess I'm not acclimated to the heat yet - something I'll need to work on since it's not going to be getting any cooler around here for a while!

I will vent a little bit here - I'm REALLY frustrated with my weight.  I know that I should be concentrating on body fat rather than pounds, but I weighed myself yesterday and I came in at 181.  I promised myself when I got under 180 last year that I would never go back - but here I am.  The frustrating thing is that I feel like I'm working hard and watching what I'm eating but I'm not making the kind of progress that I want to.  I also know that if I get lighter, I can be faster on my bike and in my run. So...I've been struggling with that.  By the way, I will be making an appointment this week to get my body fat measured at a gym - then we'll see where I really am.  I suspect it will be in the 28% range.

Oh...and I'm including a couple of photos - one of my bike (per caru's request!) which has yet to be named.  I'm thinking something Irish wouuld be appropriate, given mine and my husband's heritage.  Also, here's a picture of my running buddy, Immali.  She's an 80 lb. malamute puppy.  Yes, I said puppy.  She'll be a year old in late June.  Just for fun!

Edited by katzchen55 2007-05-28 8:03 PM

(bike.jpg)

(immalli.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bike.jpg (19KB - 43 downloads)
immalli.jpg (25KB - 52 downloads)

2007-05-28 8:21 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hi Everyone!  I'm glad the weekend is over!  It's been really crazy.  We went out of town for my neice's high school graduation which was wonderful.  Had a great time visiting with family and friends.  We spent the night at a hotel.  The kids were able to swim the next morning.  We were packed and headed out the door when my 3 year old superman decided to jump off the couch bed and hit his front teeth on the coffee table!  He hit so hard that the wood from the table chipped off.  We rushed him to the ER in Houston.  Sat there for 5 hours and then we were released.  Luckily, he didn't hurt his jaw, neck, head,etc.  But his 4 front teeth are pushed back and up into his gum.  I called our dentist when we got home (4 1/2 hour drive) and she wants to see him tomorrow to get x-rays.  He's doing fine today.  No motrin was needed today, but his mouth looks terrible.  He has a big bruise on his eye, too.  

I'm ready for a good week of workouts to release some stress!  Happy workouts!

Angela 

2007-05-28 8:28 PM
in reply to: #819654

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Oh...ouch! Poor little guy - and poor mommy!  I'm glad he's okay and I hope the dental work won't be too bad.  That sounds really painful! I'm so sorry
2007-05-28 8:58 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

He is doing well today.  I'm just afraid of what we're going to find out tomorrow with the xrays.  Luckily, it was just his baby teeth and not permanent ones.  I'm just hoping for no nerve damage, etc.  This also happened to my now 5 year old when she was 3.  She still has a front gray tooth, but her fall wasn't nearly as terrible has is.  Funny thing is, my son wore his superman jammies all day today!   KIds can bounce back so quickly.  Needless to say, momma had some beer today!  (after my run, of course!)

2007-05-28 9:01 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

And Kat, your puppy is beautiful...How nice to have a running buddy like that.

Angela

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46