BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-01-10 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1147345

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-CONGRATS Bill/SESH!!

pshorty - 2008-01-10 9:22 AM
wyndswept - 2008-01-09 11:40 PM Chris/Paul, I apologize for not digging through old posts. Remind me again, Chris and Paul are you both doing the Boston marathon? Chris it sounds like you are for sure. I just looked it up - April 21st. That sounds so soon. Wow, that is awesome! I cannot even begin to think of that distance. Nor am I sure I want to. I am curious what is your current long mileage? What is the longest you will run before the race (during this training - not in previous years)? How is the training going? It sounds like you do lactate threshold, Paul. I want to hear more about that. I am also interested in types of training. Do you do speed work or just focus on the miles? Also, don't you have to qualify for the race? I would love to hear what race you qualified with and some of those details. This type of information is the ultimate way to become inspired! Bring it on, give us the details! I know we can learn a lot from your experience!!! Candace
Hi Candace, Here are some answers for you: Yes, both Chris and I are doing the Boston Marathon. My current long run right now (12 weeks out) is 20 miles. This week I will do 60mpw, next week 70mpw, and 80mpw the following week. That ramp up is a little quicker than the 10% golden rule but I am okay with it. I will try to stay at 80mpw or above for the 10 weeks up to taper (around April 1st). During that time I will probably do long runs (>20miles) every other week. The longest will be four hours which is about 28-29 miles. There are groups that say that is unnecessary and groups that don't. I think I feel more confident if I have run the distance a couple times before the race. I just started with the heartrate monitor and I don't know how I am going to use it. I have gone off of perceived effort in the past and thus far it looks like perceived effort sort of matches my heart rate zones. I will probably use them both. I really wanted the watch for the GPS though, so I could do more accurate tempo runs and even speed off the track. I have just been running base miles but will start to incorporate speed workouts, hill workouts, and tempo runs this next week. Tempo runs are longer runs ran at a certain tempo like a 10mile run at marathon pace or maybe even a longer run broken into easy, med, fast pace, etc. You do have to qualify for the Boston Marathon. The qualifying times are different for all ages and genders. Qualifying standards can be found here: http://www.bostonmarathon.org/BostonMarathon/Qualifying.aspI qualified at the Detroit Marathon. Hope I answered your questions and thanks for giving me a reason to talk about myself. Hopefully Chris will chime in with his answers as well. -Paul

Candace,

I decided to run a marathon when I was sitting hungover at a sidewalk cafe in Brooklyn one November morning two years ago, and watched thousands of people of all ages and levels of experience trek past me. They were all grinning ear-to-ear at the cheering crowd (ok, maybe a few were grimacing). I decided at that point that I needed to be a part of this. With the right training, I am convinced that most active people could finish a marathon. Thats what was important for me the first time around.

After qualifying for Boston at the New Jersey Marathon last April (Flat-Flat-Flat: The perfect qualifying course), I basically stopped running while I went to school, worked, and planned a wedding. I started logging regular miles again in November, and I might have topped 30 miles one of these past weeks. I doubt it, though. My longest long run to this point was my 13.1 last week; this week I plan to do a long, slow 15.

For my last marathon, my weekly mileage peaked at 55. The longest run I did was 22, but I made sure I knew what it felt like to be running for over three hours during one of the scheduled long runs. I wanted to get my peak mileage over 60 in preparation for Boston, but that may not be in the cards. Once I go over 25 miles in a run, or 50 in a week, my body starts to wear. Less is more for me.

I'm doing mostly long training runs and shorter runs that incorporate some speedwork right now. I plan to spend one to two days a week at the track starting in February, and I'm incorporating hills into every workout. I like to do race-specific training -- lots of flat for NJ, lots of hills for Boston. It keeps it interesting for me.

I'm still waiting on my Garmin 305 (apparently backordered right around Christmas), but I'll start heartrate training whenever I get it. I've never done it before, so if anyone out there does have advice on it, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to think about preparation! I find that my training has been most beneficial when its been reflective, focused, and intentional. Still, I got up this morning, hit snooze, and put off my run until this afternoon. Go figure!

2008-01-10 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

Regular
Here's an interesting thread from slowtwitch.com about boston marathon strategy:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1...

catch it before it devolves into a giant argument about weight training or team in training, etc.

In other news, Katie Holmes is running the boston marathon as are Mike Huckabee and Lance Armstrong.

I think I can beat Holmes and Huckabee, I will have to rely on my wrestling to take out Armstrong.

-Paul
2008-01-10 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1148762

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
I'll grab one Lance's legs, you get the other. We'll need the rest of the BT gang to take his entourage, though. Saw him when I ran New York the first time: he runs with a crew.
2008-01-10 5:40 PM
in reply to: #1148833

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

TheMaz - 2008-01-10 4:15 PM I'll grab one Lance's legs, you get the other. We'll need the rest of the BT gang to take his entourage, though. Saw him when I ran New York the first time: he runs with a crew.

Just keep him occupied long enough for me to sneak off to find and steal one of his bikes

2008-01-11 1:13 PM
in reply to: #1148833

User image

Regular
TheMaz - 2008-01-10 5:15 PM

I'll grab one Lance's legs, you get the other. We'll need the rest of the BT gang to take his entourage, though. Saw him when I ran New York the first time: he runs with a crew.

This would be a problem if I wasn't a total NINJA!!

In all seriousness, I am going to start running with a posse. When my posse meets Lance Armstrong's posse, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of a dance-off.
2008-01-11 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1150619

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
Thanks Paul and Chris! This is great information and very motivating for me.

We have an excellent weather report for So Cal this weekend so I am jumping back into my training again. I got derailed pretty good over the holidays. My family just left this week so now I have some time to myself again.

What are everyone's weekend plans???

2008-01-11 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1150718

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

wyndswept - 2008-01-11 1:37 PM What are everyone's weekend plans???

1.  Rest up

2.  I'll tell ya after the weekend is over because I don't want to jinx it.

2008-01-11 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

wyndswept - 2008-01-11 2:37 PM Thanks Paul and Chris! This is great information and very motivating for me. We have an excellent weather report for So Cal this weekend so I am jumping back into my training again. I got derailed pretty good over the holidays. My family just left this week so now I have some time to myself again. What are everyone's weekend plans???

Way to jump back in. I'm heading down to warmer climes for the weekend -- Long Island, NY, to visit family. Hopefully, I'll be able to get in some run miles. Gotta drop the planned swim.

If anyone has any leads on a used road bike, or last season's model, could you let me know? I'm in the market for cheap wheels. I'm training for a triathlon having never owned a real bike, and as a teacher I'm on a fairly tight budget. Have been talking with the guys at the local bike shop about the 2007 Trek 1000, which they can give me a decent price on. Anyone have any ideas?

Bill, you seem to be the guy into all those bike centerfolds . . . know of anything rideable that doesn't cost 10K?

2008-01-11 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1150926

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
TheMaz - 2008-01-11 2:40 PM

wyndswept - 2008-01-11 2:37 PM Thanks Paul and Chris! This is great information and very motivating for me. We have an excellent weather report for So Cal this weekend so I am jumping back into my training again. I got derailed pretty good over the holidays. My family just left this week so now I have some time to myself again. What are everyone's weekend plans???

Way to jump back in. I'm heading down to warmer climes for the weekend -- Long Island, NY, to visit family. Hopefully, I'll be able to get in some run miles. Gotta drop the planned swim.

If anyone has any leads on a used road bike, or last season's model, could you let me know? I'm in the market for cheap wheels. I'm training for a triathlon having never owned a real bike, and as a teacher I'm on a fairly tight budget. Have been talking with the guys at the local bike shop about the 2007 Trek 1000, which they can give me a decent price on. Anyone have any ideas?

Bill, you seem to be the guy into all those bike centerfolds . . . know of anything rideable that doesn't cost 10K?

A Trek 1000 was my very first bike.  Got me hooked on cycling, too.  I did a few metric century's on it and a bunch of group rides.  It's my official trainer bike now, and has held up very well.  Very good frame for the price, and the components are more than adequate.  It's not like Shimano makes bad components.  The make really good stuff (like what's on the Trek 1000) and then they progress up to totally badazz stuff (dura ace).

In other words, I would recommend the Trek 1000.  Probably the best entry level road bike out there.

Ofcourse, don't forget the pedals, the helmet, the pump, the shoes, the aerobars, etc. 

Now, I actually do know of a bike that costs $10k: http://www.feltracing.com/08/product.asp?catid=1504,1509&pid=8702

2008-01-11 3:30 PM

User image

Regular
wyndswept - 2008-01-11 2:37 PM

Thanks Paul and Chris! This is great information and very motivating for me.

We have an excellent weather report for So Cal this weekend so I am jumping back into my training again. I got derailed pretty good over the holidays. My family just left this week so now I have some time to myself again.

What are everyone's weekend plans???

I am fixing drywall/plaster and painting. Not exiting. I will drink while I do this. I have a long run on Sunday and I want to see Juno.

2008-01-11 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
Trek 1000 is a very good bike. How tall are you? I will look out for a good deal for you.

-Paul

2008-01-11 3:40 PM

User image

Regular
Hey Chris, would you consider used?
2008-01-11 6:14 PM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
TheMaz - 2008-01-11 12:40 PM

Have been talking with the guys at the local bike shop about the 2007 Trek 1000, which they can give me a decent price on. Anyone have any ideas?

I ride a 2006 Trek 1000. I like it. It is my first road bike and has treated me well.

I would strongly suggest paying for a professional bike fit. The shop where I got my bike doesn't charge for the fit if you buy the bike from them. They mainly did a ton of measurements to make sure I was getting the correct size. I am still considering paying to get an independent fit to make sure my bike is adjusted correctly.
2008-01-12 6:35 AM
in reply to: #1145385

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ

pshorty - 2008-01-09 1:23 PM All you HR monitor wearing people, have you figured out your lactate threshold and all that? I am planning on doing mine for running this evening. Wish me luck. -Paul

Hello everyone, I plan on being able to get on the site more. I am following the Dr. Philip Maffetone approach with regards to my HR. Here is a link to the article

http://www.rrca.org/resources/articles/slowdown.html

Ifyou cut and paste the link it works.  I have no idea why it doesn't work by clicking on it. 

Edited by obrats 2008-01-12 6:38 AM
2008-01-12 6:46 AM
in reply to: #1148762

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ

pshorty - 2008-01-10 4:54 PM ....In other news, Katie Holmes is running the boston marathon as are Mike Huckabee and Lance Armstrong. I think I can beat Holmes and Huckabee, I will have to rely on my wrestling to take out Armstrong. -Paul

Looks like Katie backed out, maybe Tom won't let her run it.

But here is a cool list of celebrities who have run a marathon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_marathoners 

2008-01-12 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1151361

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

Hey all,

My local bike shop is offering a great deal on last season's trek 1000's. They do the fitting for free there. I'm almost literally a hair short of 5'7", and I would certainly consider used if the frame is in good shape and the components are mostly savagable. (Though I'd really love to get one new.)

I just know I couldn't afford to trick out a new bike with the pedals, shoes, and bars that I'd want right away.

2008-01-13 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland
Happy weekend everyone,
I just got in a run before heading out of town for work. I added this to my training blog, but it looks like a feb. sprint tri is not in the cards for me this year :-( So I am going to focus on running for a while and then tri's in the summer (unless I find another one later in the spring). for now the first tri will be 6/15/08 for me.

Have a good rest of the weekend!!
2008-01-13 1:16 PM

User image

Regular
Hey Kerry,

How is your bicycle hunt going?
2008-01-13 6:53 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Well, I had a pretty decent weekend.  She said yes.

Enough of the lovey stuff.  Time to train

2008-01-13 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1153406

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

I KNEW IT WAS BIGGER THAN A CENTURY RIDE!

CONGRATS!

(Did you get down on one knee or did you do it mid-stride?

2008-01-13 9:06 PM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
sesh - 2008-01-13 4:53 PM

Well, I had a pretty decent weekend. She said yes.

Enough of the lovey stuff. Time to train

Ahh, so that was the big plan for the weekend. Congrats!

2008-01-13 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland
The bicycle hunt is still on-- I tried out a couple bikes and have definitely determined that cannondales are not going to work for me, and I am now focused on either a trek or a specialized and planning to go bike shopping again next weekend. My best friend's coming into town and she's a bike fanatic so I'm sure she'll motivate me to just buy one already :-)
2008-01-13 11:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Weekend was crap for me, was interested at all in training, first weekend in a long long time that I took off both days. Maybe I needed it, we`ll see this week. All the swimming I`ve been doing I think has wore down my upper body, it has been sore for a few weeks now, hopefuly the rest will do me good. I`m thinking of staying out of the pool till Tue. or Wed.. I`II hit the tredmill today, I`m on nightshift this week thats why I`m writing this at 12:30 am, nights still young.
Nathan
2008-01-14 7:08 AM

User image

Regular
sesh - 2008-01-13 7:53 PM

Well, I had a pretty decent weekend.  She said yes.

Enough of the lovey stuff.  Time to train

WOW!! Congratulations!!!
2008-01-14 7:10 AM
in reply to: #1153940

User image

Regular
natebs - 2008-01-14 12:30 AM

Weekend was crap for me, was interested at all in training, first weekend in a long long time that I took off both days. Maybe I needed it, we`ll see this week. All the swimming I`ve been doing I think has wore down my upper body, it has been sore for a few weeks now, hopefuly the rest will do me good. I`m thinking of staying out of the pool till Tue. or Wed.. I`II hit the tredmill today, I`m on nightshift this week thats why I`m writing this at 12:30 am, nights still young.
Nathan

Nathan,

This is normal. It's temporary fatigue due to the new stresses that you are putting on your body. You will bounce back quickly after a couple of days.

Good workouts!!!

-Paul
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33