BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2008-02-01 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1188960

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Re-Opening for More Awesome Folks!

Andrea, thats a good story about your fencing.  I did it a little bit in college and had a blast with it.  Nothing competitive, but it was fun.

I'm glad that you're finding your PT to be very helpful.  Staying healthy and consistent in training is critical to making long term gains.  I, too, am re-learning how to run so that I reduce my injury risk.  Its a challenge! 

Ok, final question for you:  What do you want to get out of participating in this group?

2008-02-01 1:54 PM
in reply to: #1188962

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

catjammies - 2008-02-01 11:50 AM Ridgelake, I was looking at your logs and you have an inspiringly low AHR during your workouts. I am doing good to get mine down in the 160ish range. I've been looking at the Garmin 305 to help me do more zone work. My habit is to go back to my old Highschool swimming days where it is all out or go home.

Dave, there are a couple of things in play here.  #1, my HR is lower than most people's.  The highest that I've ever been able to get it is 165 bpm.  And I was trying to see how high I could get it. 

#2 One of the hardest lessons I've had to learn is to slow down and take it easy.  I started into tris with the same mentality that your swim team had.  Go as hard as you can every day.  Well, not only does that NOT lead to maximized improvement, but it also leads to SUBSTANTIALLY increased risk of injury.   We could get away with it usually when we were 18 or whatever.  But not now. 

I strongly encourage you to go back through this thread and re-read the articles on heart rate training and pacing.  I also strongly encourage you to pick up the Jack Daniels Running Formulas book.  In it, you will learn why training at various paces, especially slow paces, is optimal.  

Some of the caveats that I've learned is: 1) being consistent is the most important thing for long term improvement.  2) Going easy brings about many positive adaptations without over-stressing the body.  Going easy allows one to work out most every day (e.g., consistency).  3) Higher efforts normally require long recovery periods and substantially increase injury risk. 

Not incidently, that article, "Interactions Between Training Sessions - Part II: The Timing of Adaptations" on page 4 has some truly exceptional insights in it.  The time required to recover from various types of exercises is a goldmine.  Generally speaking, you should be recovered from your previous session before your next one.  This maximizes adaptations.  And reduces injury risk.  

Dave, we're not 18 any more.  Going hard every time out not only is ineffective for maximum improvement, but it will almost certainly lead to injury and burnout.

2008-02-01 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1098972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

February goals:

Biking: 50miles

Running:  75miles (including Cowtown Half on the 23rd)

Swimming: 10,000yds

2008-02-01 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1189787

New Jersey
February Goals:

Ride- 8 hours (mostly spinning and some trainer time when i get it)

Swim- Twice a week (I found last seaon when I stressed about yardage or time I didn't do as many workouts)

Run- 75 miles

User image

Regular
I couldn't agree more with you Rob. I know I need to crank the intensity down a couple of notches so that I can work out more often and NOT get injured. Hopefully the Garmin heart rate monitor can help me with that. So much of the training plans on BT as well as the banter in the threads has to do with zone training, and I feel like I should start doing that rather than "winging it". My history reads a bit like yours with injury setbacks.

Finding my LT might have to be something I try in the near future.
in reply to: #1189787

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
Hi Gang,

Glad to have you back, catjammies!
Andrea, your race description was great. Ever think of being a sports writer?

Here are my goals for the Ridgelake February Challenge:

Walk/Run: 25 miles (try to ease into more running and less walking over the month and stay injury free)

Swim: This will be a low swim month, but I don't want to forget how, so I'll say 4 swims minimum.

Bike: One bike ride per week, just to keep the muscles awake.

Strength and flexibility: 2 sessions of each per week.

Weight: Get to 160 lbs. (I'm getting closer!)

I'll continue to focus on the walk/run and strength. It's working for me right now and I'm seeing changes. I hope to continue to strenthen my immune system too, and not get sick all the time.

Jo

2008-02-01 3:04 PM
in reply to: #1189534

New Jersey
Ridgelake - 2008-02-01 2:16 PM

Ok, final question for you:  What do you want to get out of participating in this group?

Support. Winter is the best time to build a good base, but it's also the crappiest time of year.
I have no triathlete friends, and sometimes you need someone to remind you that's it's a good thing you get up at 4:30 most days.

2008-02-01 3:14 PM

User image

Regular
ihaveagluestick,

It IS a good thing to get up at 4:30.

just sayin.....
2008-02-01 8:40 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Well, last night, I did the USMS 1 Hour Postal Swim.  Its basically a race where you swim as far as you can in 1 hour.  I ended up with 3,375 meters, or a shade under 3700 yards.    I'm generally pleased, it exceeded the total that I had 2 years ago.  Would have liked a bit more.  But such as it is.
2008-02-02 6:32 AM
in reply to: #1189969

New Jersey
catjammies - 2008-02-01 4:14 PM

ihaveagluestick,

It IS a good thing to get up at 4:30.

just sayin.....

Haha thanks, I'm still just 24 and my friends think 4:30 is about the time you should get home from the bars
And they really really don't understand swearing off alcohol and caffeine for 2 weeks just for a race
2008-02-02 6:34 AM
in reply to: #1190507

New Jersey
Congrats! It's always awesome when you set a new PR.
No way I could make it that far.

2008-02-02 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1190507

User image

Regular
Ridgelake - 2008-02-01 7:40 PM

I ended up with 3,375 meters, or a shade under 3700 yards.    .

Not shabby at all!!
Congrats! By my calcs, that is a 1:37/100yd pace. NICE!

BTW, the way my mind works, everytime I hear "postal swim" I have a mental picture of a bunch of really angry swimmers beating the snot of the poor guy in the lane next to them......
2008-02-02 12:01 PM
in reply to: #1190840

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

catjammies - 2008-02-02 9:11 AM
Ridgelake - 2008-02-01 7:40 PM I ended up with 3,375 meters, or a shade under 3700 yards.    .
Not shabby at all!! Congrats! By my calcs, that is a 1:37/100yd pace. NICE! BTW, the way my mind works, everytime I hear "postal swim" I have a mental picture of a bunch of really angry swimmers beating the snot of the poor guy in the lane next to them......

Hehe, yes, there were some people ready to go postal after spending an hour looking at the pool bottom. 

Yes, I'm reasonably pleased with the swim pace.  Especially for someone who never swam competitively.  It might be interesting to see what I could do if I ever learn flip turns.  But anyway,  it was a good event. 

2008-02-02 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1191040

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
Way to go Ridge! That's more than I swim in a year

And my husband is a mailman, so a postal swim sounds kinda funny to me too.
Jo
2008-02-03 8:09 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Ok guys.  Time for the review for the week and the plan for the week ahead.

I'll go first.  My week was heavily influenced by 2 events/races.  Last Saturday, I ran my first 10K. Recovering from that impacted was felt through Tuesday.  Then on THursday, I had the Postal swim.  That similarly impacted my Friday.  OVerall though, a very good week of work.

This week got off to a good start today with a 2 hour bike/run brick.  Tomorrow will be much lighter, with some upper body strength work.  Swim Tuesday and we'll see how the rest of the week plays out.

2008-02-04 9:49 AM

User image

Hi, all!

Glad everyone is back. Great job on the swim, Ridge.

My Feb goals:

Run: three times a week. I have been applying the Jack Daniels to my running and I never thought going slower would actually make you go faster. But, I'm finally feeling like my 11.3 min miles are feeling slow. Goal is to run 6mph w/o feeling flogged!! I have also added a cardio/circuit workout designed for endurance last week and can already see how it will help with endurance as well as my WIMPY upper body. Which leads to swimming.

Swim: I have had some shoulder pain w/ swimming but have been concentrating on my stroke and this has improved the shoulder thing dramatically.
Goal is to swim at least twice a week with a 1700 yarder on the weekend

Bike: I LOVE my bike. I have been putting in about 3+ hours including spin classes, so my goal is to keep upping the resistance and peddling on as well as adding at least 5-10 run after bike.

This week I hope to keep on my training schedule with the addition of the core and cardio/circuit. One of the biggest lessons I have learned in all the reading is rest is as important as pushing yourself. So when I feel tired, I rest. So, this week may be lighter than I hoped because I am tired. Oh, to be 24 again!!

Hope everyone has a good week!!

Teresa

Edited by teresa 2008-02-04 9:50 AM

2008-02-04 12:09 PM

User image

Oh, by the way, I have not yet caught the sickness so bad that I have to work out in the middle of the night. But, it has crossed my mind; probably in a dream because that is what I am doing at 4:30 in the morning!!! Not that there is anything wrong with it ??????
2008-02-04 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Good stuff, Teresa. 

And yes, sleep is good! 

Edited by Ridgelake 2008-02-04 12:41 PM
2008-02-04 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1189940

New Jersey
ihaveagluestick - 2008-02-01 4:02 PM

February Goals:

Ride- 8 hours (mostly spinning and some trainer time when i get it)

Swim- Twice a week (I found last seaon when I stressed about yardage or time I didn't do as many workouts)

Run- 75 miles

I have been informed by my physical therapist that I can't run, spin and probably not swim. So for now I'm down graded to elliptical and lots of core and some strength exercises.
I'm going to try to hit my run mileage on the elliptical (if I can stop myself from scratching my eyes out in boredom)

Still undecided about the spin and swim part.

2008-02-05 3:15 PM

Regular
Hi! Are you still taking people in your mentor group? I am planning to do a duathlon in April, and could use some of your experience. I have never raced...I may have done some 5Ks in my life, but I wasn't really racing. I LOVE to ride my bicycle. Let me know if you have room for me.

Cole
2008-02-05 3:40 PM

Regular
Sorry, I didn't read through all the rules before I sent my earlier post.

BIO:
41 (turn 42 in April) years old
Married...Husband turns 51 on Friday
2 teenage boys, 13 and 15 the 15 year old gets his license next month!
I exercise with my husband

Goals:
Keep my husband healthy and have fun in the process
complete the super sprint duathlon in April without walking or throwing-up

2008-02-06 2:56 PM

Hi folks. Back from cruising the Caribbean... to the snowy Atlantic provinces... ( Oh well, been looking forward to getting back into my training routine again anyway. Did a ton of swimming, and managed to get in some running and biking during the cruise. I actually managed to lose 5 pounds somehow. Most of that was probably my liver which I left in Mexico though, I think.... lol

btw: How long is it until everybody's first triathalon of the year? The first one here is not until June 08th I believe...
2008-02-06 3:38 PM
in reply to: #1195809

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
colewarren - 2008-02-05 1:15 PM

Hi! Are you still taking people in your mentor group? I am planning to do a duathlon in April, and could use some of your experience. I have never raced...I may have done some 5Ks in my life, but I wasn't really racing. I LOVE to ride my bicycle. Let me know if you have room for me.

Cole

Hi Cole,
Sorry nobody's responded to you yet. I just looked at Ridge's blog and he's out of contact for a day or two. I know he'll get to you as soon as he gets back. Thanks for the interest in the group. I'm sure you'll make a great addition.

We're not a real chatty group (which is ok by me), but we do check in regularly and share our training, goals, etc. Ridge has posted a lot of great articles for us that you might want to check out. Most of it is over my head at this time, but I'm usually able to glean something out of each one.

Have a great day!
Joann

2008-02-06 3:43 PM
in reply to: #1194405

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
Andrea,
Sorry to hear that you're not supposed to run, bike, swim.

I hope it's just a temporary thing. How long until you can run again? If your pt says never, you might want to get a new pt. I had a doctor tell me to never run again because of my knees, and another doctor (2nd opinion) give me a gradual running program and wished me success.

Brad,
Welcome back!
A cruise sounds really good to me right now! Glad you got in some workouts.

Joann
2008-02-06 8:45 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Hi Cole!  Welcome!!! 

Yes, as Jo indicated, I've been out of town the last couple of days.  Just got back tonight.  Glad to have you in our group! 

Andrea, I'm sorry to hear about your new instructions.  What does the PT say the problem is

Brad, glad your trip went well!  Lost weight?  How did THAT happen?

Jo, thanks for stepping in while I was away! 

Ok, now to catch back up with everything going on.

Edited by Ridgelake 2008-02-06 8:45 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  

of 19