BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Saling4's Group - Closed for now. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2008-01-19 6:22 PM
in reply to: #1116595

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Subject: RE: Saling4's Group - Closed for now.
Nothing but fun around this house for sure..........sigh.

2008-01-19 11:22 PM

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
Well I had quite the bike/run today. I wanted to get to the gym but as it took me about 1/2 hour to find my ipod (yes I am addicted) I didn't have time to get there.
NO it doesn't end there. I am not that big of a wimp. (today I wasn't)

I went on a ride in 40 F and raining (yes rain, Seattle-type sprinkles but it did HAIL, no kidding it did it just for me.)

Of course, I had to really try out my new underarmor neoprene pants that are supposedly water proof. I did a 6 mile ride and then ran a mile just to try out the legs after the ride, they were like rubber!!! I much prefer a tri bike to my mountain bike oh yeah the beast

So tons of fun here...and great news my legs were so cold they were red and they started to itch really badly when they were thawing out, but they were DRY!!! completely dry!! The pants and my windbreaker SOAKED but under totally dry.

I need to take a picture next time I take one of these training rides cause it is comical. I have a hat that covers my ears and my bike helmet on. What a DORK!!! I love it.

Have a great weekend!

OH HAIL!!! It hailed again!!!

2008-01-20 8:28 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Ok, this is long.... I type fast and the house is quiet.... sorry.

Well it sounds like you all are doing a better job of weathering the weather than I I looked outside and once again, snow. Cold. Wind. Went to a hot yoga class instead.

Comical for me - I already sweat buckets - doing yoga in a sauna just turns me into a puddle but I feel wrung-out in a good way afterwards! It's at a *real* studio, rather than gym yoga, which I usually do - so when the instructor named the poses it was always in a 20 syllable Indian name rather than something easy like down-dog or triangle pose. I go through the class watching everyone else, which apparently you aren't supposed to do because it ruins the focus on yourself. But he had to keep correcting me when I focussed on myself because myself doesn't really know what she's doing.... oh, well.

We had made plans to vacate the house - we are also doing some home improvements and today was supposed to be the 'knock out a wall & install french doors day' because it was the warmest (at 30) of the next several. But the doors didn't come in, so neither did the workmen. Oh, well.

As a family we hit the gym - kids to rockin' play space, John to stretch for his Karate test, me to the dreadmill (made it one mile - uuf - I need to learn to love the treadmill to be consistent - does anyone else find it really really hard to run on a treadmill? I can't keep a decent pace - it's like a 10 minute mile feels like an 8 minute mile, which I can't run!) Then some skate thingy - no idea what it is but it feels hard and has a kind of fun rhythm w/o being high impact.

OK, here's to the point - I did my prescribed swim on my plan - 24 minutes - I went 900 yards. That's 2:47/per hundred. Everyone in the pool goes faster than me, which is ok with me, but it does provide perspective. I looked at the masters swim workout posted on the board, and I don't even think I can manage the warm up on the posted pace. So, although for me, this was a good swim - like the last one, it was only the second one in months where I could just get in a pool and swim - no gagging, sputtering, stopping and hanging on the wall - it is still pretty slow. Do I go to the masters swim thing at 5:30 am, and not really be able to do anything that everyone else is doing? Or do I keep swimming on my own a while and just plug away? Are there any other slooow swimmers who have gone to a masters team workout? Was it worth it? Or did you feel like a penguin at the Olympic track trials?

Reading everyone else's post makes me think I need to quit being a weather wuss!

Have a great weekend/holiday. This will be my first week on a training plan - I want to try to at least hit all the workouts. That could be challenging....
2008-01-20 10:21 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Hailrnr:  The neoprene rubber pants or YOUR legs felt like rubber?  I like the transition from bike to run myself.  About once a week do what you did:  Bike for a bit then T1 to run for a short job so you get used to the feeling.

Oh yeah, I would love to see those pics.  I have no doubt that we all have our dork outfits, but if it keeps me warm I could care less. 

2008-01-20 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1166205

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Helen:  The whole purpose of Master's is to become a better swimmer.  I would bet that no matter what the schedule says there are people slower than you.  The best thing that a Master's swim could do for you at first is get you doing drills.  The drills will make you slower and you will probably think you are going to drown, but in the end you will be better, faster and a whole lot more confident.

As far as how slow we may or may not be.  Who here is getting paid to do this? Or are we doing it for our health, challenge, fun, weight management, etc.  We are doing something that most people won't even attempt or try to do.  You all have the courage to swim/bike/run have fun with it and don't let someone else speed or proficiency get in the way.  Just TRI it for one more day or week or month or year (it will become a habit) so that all can see what a warrior you really are. 

2008-01-20 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1166306

User image

Colorado Springs
I don't mind being slow - I felt great just having swum more than 2 lengths in a row w/o stopping! In general I'm very happy with myself to have done my best, which is usually in the last third of the pack.

Mainly, I was thinking a masters team might be a fire hose approach when what I really need is the slow trickle of doing things on my own. I'm hoping to hear that someone else started a master's team as a beginner and even though they couldn't really handle the workout did get enough value from it to warrant getting up at 4:30 and driving to the gym to not really do the workout ? Yes, this resembles whining.

2008-01-20 10:55 PM

User image

New user

Helen - I hate the treadmill too! I don't mind running outside most days, provided there's some nature to look at, but running indoors bores me terribly. I have started an iPod addiction like yours to help me get used to using indoor-gym machines, otherwise, I will get no regular workouts until April or May.

I tried the eliptical ski machine this week. I like that one more than the treadmill. I'm not sure if it helps me towards running a tri or not, but I prefer it to the treadmill.

I haven't tried Master's swim, but eyed a brochure. Too intimidated at this time. I signed up for a dinky weekly stroke improvement lesson instead and paid way too much for a half-hour weekly lesson, which is currently canceled until further notice, due to an electrical fire in the pool facilities. I think it's fate snubbing me for not stepping up to a Master's swim class.

I think we should all post our dorkiest running/biking/swimming pictures. I have a waterproof cover for my helmet that is bright yellow with a reflecting stripe to help me stay visible in the dark (safety first!).

Cat
2008-01-21 12:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Okay gang, I'm having a bit of a crisis, and I need your help:

I was intending to do the 2008 Ironman, then got a chronic ear infection; this much you all know. So, I looked at 2009, and set my sights there. BUT, for once, my hindsight is actually being useful.... My workload at school is massive, Head of Dept etc, and I struggled to get the training in last year, and had to juggle frantically to get to then end of each week's programme. I think there were only about 3 weeks out of 28 that I actually managed to do everything on my programme. I'm sure my fitness suffered for this, it definitely did as far as swimming goes, because I was sacrificing that more often than not. What was worse was the hard time that I give myself every time I miss a session. I have this inner voice that tells me I obviously don't want this enough, I am obviously not any sort of a warrior, and I don't deserve to be a success. This is highly destructive, and highly unnecessary, and as predictable as you like.

So, a big decision has been wrestled with, and, possibly, an answer found: I love training, love being fit and active, and have some weight goals. This year, with the workload beginning to pan out at school etc, I am going to train without a programme, and build base fitness with lots of varied activities. I realise that I'm not in the appropriate head space to be taking on an Ironman; I think that rather than imagine that things will be different this year, and set myself up to fail, I'm going to enter a few small events and enjoy not having to train for every spare hour of my day.

Maybe it'll be better for me in the skinny stakes too, not so much pressure to eat so much so often, which was backfiring on me enormously.

What do y'all think? Am I copping out, taking the easy road and morphing into a lazy bugger, or have I finally gotten mature enough to admit that I can't do everything?

All and any honest opinions gratefully received, I'm a bit bummed out here!

Jac

2008-01-21 6:42 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

First,  I hate the treadmill, dread thinking about it and detest getting on it.  When I first started running I thought it was great.  Right in the house watch tv, but now I can not stand it, a 10 min mile on the dreadmill kills me and on the road 10 min mile is a nice run.

Mathsgeek,  If it isn't any fun back off and train for a Sprint or Oly Tri.  There are plans for those as well.  Do a couple sprints early and then do an Oly later in the year.  Maybe plan on a HIM next year.  More conservative and better prep for moving up to an IM.  I would like to do an IM,  but don't see the time commitment being there for me.  So I enjoy what I can do.  Training for an IM is a MAJOR commitment in time and resources. 

2008-01-21 3:30 PM

Henderson, NV
Hello everyone,
I was just reading everyone's post and you guys rock! I've been a little off track here...this is my first year teaching and it is tougher than most people think. I teach H.S. Biology and my students just had finals, and whoa, I had no idea how much extra work they'd be. But I'm back on track. My husband and I just booked a trip to Hawaii in March for our 10 year anniversary, and so there is some additional motivation to get moving. Not that I'm planning on wearing a bikini, but it would be nice not to wear shorts with my swimsuit.

HelenS- Congrats on the marathon...awesome job. While I really can't see myself running a marathon, a half marathon definitely seems doable for me. I love to hear about everybody’s races...it motivates me and I feel I learn from your experiences.

Mathsgeek- I understand how life can get in the way of your goals and think that even completing a triathlon (of any length) is an accomplishment. That being said...have you thought of doing a half ironman race. That would certainly be challenging, but less so than the full one. It would still be something you have never done (I'm assuming here) and would be great training and experience for when your life eases up and you are ready for the full thing. We have a half ironman here in Vegas in November and if you come out and complete it...I'll buy you a few beers because you'll be stud in my book.

I am a very slow swimmer...look at my training logs for the proof. But I did swim on masters swim team about 7 years ago, in the slow lane of course. I found it to very motivating (it helped with my technique and speed), and in fact that is where I got the idea to try a triathlon a few years ago. If you are interested, I suggest just talking to the coach and asking him what they think and if they can help you with your goals. My coach out here wanted me to able to swim 2000 yards comfortably before I joined, but I'm sure different coaches have different suggestions.

Even though I live in Las Vegas like Saling4, the weather has totally been bumming me out, so you folks that have real weather- I am awed and impressed. Keep it up for yourselves, but for me too because when I see your hard work- it makes me want to work hard too.

-Chem
2008-01-21 8:24 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Mathsgeek - no way is it a cop out to not do an Ironman that you don't have time to train for. It takes so much time, and I don't think you can go unprepared (like you sort of can for a marathon) and still make it out ok. Pick a 1/2 IM and charge ahead, and if the training is still more than you have time for, scale back. If it isn't at least somewhat fun to anticipate the race & training then don't do it. I'll cheer for you no matter what you do!

RE the dreadmill.... I did an informal poll of friends - some are awesome runners, they almost all say that the treadmill requires more physical & mental effort than running outside (ie - they run faster, easier outside) and that they only do it to survive the winter. They almost all skip between different cardio machines to get their miles in, or play games with the speed & incline to make the workouts interesting by using them as speed or hill work rather than just miles. Glad to know I'm not alone!

Masters swimming ... I should talk to the coach - good idea. Maybe they don't mind coaching the slow lane (ideal) but perhaps they do - best to find out early! I'll try it if the coach doesn't mind.

I'll look for a dorky weatherized picture of me. They are almost all dorky, shouldn't be a problem.

2008-01-21 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Glad to see everyone hanging in there. It was rainy and 50 today, and is supposed to remain like that the rest of the week. Good thing though, my husband and I have a ride planned on Sunday and the high is supposed to be 71 with only a 10% chance of rain. I hadn't been out on my bike for awhile (just riding on the stationary) so it felt good to get out yesterday for a few miles.

Geeky-aren't we all doing this for FUN and fitness. If it gets to be too much, there is nothing wrong with backing off for a bit. I've got way too many stressors in my life, without adding another one that I have a choice about. This should be a stress reliever! I'm proud of you for even considering an IM in the first place, but better to wait for the right time. I'm all about "If it's meant to be...". You've got to have the time to train, and feel relaxed about it.

Good job to all on continuing their training through the suboptimal weather - sleet, wind, rain, HAIL; and everyone's busy schedule. I just enjoyed a great four day weekend but it's back to work tomorrow and playing catch up for the days I missed. And we've celebrated three birthdays and a wedding anniversary this week, so I've got to start watching/tracking what I eat again and get down a few more pounds in the next month or two.

Hope everyone has a great week!
2008-01-21 10:30 PM

User image

New user

Everyone should hang in there for being bummed about the weather - I heard on the radio today that someone did a study on how today's the gloomiest day of the year on the calendar (clearly the researcher must have been in the Northern hemisphere - the sun is likely high and bright in NZ). This is actually good news though for those of us who are gloomy! Things only get better from here!

Mathsgeek - I think you know what is best for you; sometimes investing in fewer activities and projects lets you put in more quality effort and lets you enjoy the things you are doing more.
2008-01-21 10:58 PM

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
I had a really fun bike ride today. We took the kids to a trail about 10 miles from home and let them bike ride. Meredith (4) is so cute with her little training wheels. She had fun going up and down the hills. My husband and I walked with her and we were on a paved trail. The boys went with their uncle who is visiting us for the weekend and did some mountain biking. I took them last summer and had a blast. When the boys got back I told my husband I wish I had my bike because I would take it home. He said have at it, take my bike. So I did. I went through the mountain bike trails 2.5 miles and then onto the country roads.

It was REALLY hilly. It was pretty hard with the mountain bike but it was fun. I had a couple of hills I wasn't sure I could make it up but I did. I also did this without my ipod which is a major miracle!!! I am glad to be able to do more without it. The first 10 minutes is the hardest and then I seem to get in a rhythm.

I am really not a solitude person. I don't normally enjoy being by myself. I know everyone says it takes time. Is it that I don't like myself? Am I flawed in some subconscious way? Is there a psychotherapist who would like to tackle this one?

So there you go. My ride: NO RAIN, NO HAIL, just plenty of sunshine and about 40 degrees. Of course I still looked like a geek. No use changing that one yet. It was about an hour or so I actually didn't look at the clock becuase it was really about 3 minutes after we mentioned me possibley going and I then took off. I didn't want anyone changing their mind about mommy taking off and leaving the 3 amigos with the daddies for an extended period of time. I should have known better because they usually prefer Dad and then Uncle Bryce too ?

Great Ride Great Day!!!

Edited by HailRunr 2008-01-21 11:06 PM
2008-01-22 6:30 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Sounds like you did what some people recommend sometimes and that is to be a kid.  Forget the gadgets and time and have fun.  As far as the solitary person thing I guess we need two couches because I NEVER train with anyone.  Just me and my thoughts (scary huh?).  Sounds like you had fun HAILRUNR and that is what this is about.
2008-01-22 6:31 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
"If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it." "
Priscilla Welch, Masters Marathon Great

2008-01-23 6:47 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

"When I first started running, I was so embarrassed, I'd walk when cars passed me. I'd pretend I was looking at the flowers."

Joan Benoit Samuelson
2008-01-23 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1167375

User image

Mathsgeek,

I am just a beginner, but I would agree with brian's advice. I think of triathlon as a ladder. The sprint is the first step, Olympic distance the next, and so on. Last year I did two sprints. This year I will try an Olympic. If it keeps being fun, I will try a Half Ironman next year. I do not even have any plans for an Ironman. I will just stop whenever the fun I get out of the distance does not pay for the training effort.

Helmuth
2008-01-23 8:46 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
You nailed it Tri.  Unless I am getting paid for this I do it for fun and health.
2008-01-24 9:33 AM

User image

New user

Hey gang,
I was listening to an inspiring story about running and thought I'd share it with you.
This is about a young man who had some serious weight issues and turned to distance running to find both inspiration and a healthier way of life.
Listen here:
http://www.cbc.ca/soundslikecanada/media/20071009chokens.ram

Or go to:
http://www.cbc.ca/soundslikecanada/interviews.html
And scroll way down to October 5th "Brenda and Cole Choken"

Hope everyone is doing well!

Cat
2008-01-24 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Canadian Cat, thanks for sharing!

Saling, thanks for the inspirational quotes!

And hope everyone is doing OK.

2008-01-24 10:56 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
I am doing great.  Taking a few days off of most things then getting back after it come 1 Feb.  Just felt like I needed a small break...sigh.
2008-01-25 6:25 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."

Fred Lebow

The same applies to TRI's.  Finishing is the accomplishment. 

2008-01-25 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Finishing is definitely my goal!!

Saling, are you tiling againg this weekend? That's enough of a workout in itself!

The sun is finally supposed to come out tomorrow afternoon with a high in the upper 60s. The weather should be nice for our ride on Sunday - low around 50, high around 69, and hopefully sunny. At least they aren't calling for rain. Today it's raining for about the 5th day in a row with a high around 45.

We can all imagine we are down in New Zealand training with mathsgeek in the nice warm weather and countryside.
2008-01-25 5:59 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
I wish I was tiling.  My newest project (of many) is to pull the heads off my ranger to replace headgaskets.  It is great to be me....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Saling4's Group - Closed for now. Rss Feed  

of 11