BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-03-22 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4108440

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
robingray_260 - 2012-03-22 1:03 PM

Great workouts everyone! 

I have a swim scheduled for today and I really need to do a 500 or 800 yd test and am trying to psych myself up for it. ughh! 

As for breathing on the swim - I am a dominant right side breather only and it works for me.  I do practice breathing regularly on the left so that I am comfortable with it, but it just has never felt right. Though I am a right side dominant I don't have a set breathing pattern and varies depending on the exertion level.  High exertion - long distance I usually breathing every stroke - I find it helps with shoulder rotation, rhythm and of course getting enough air. Whearas high exertion - short distance I breathe only 1 or 2 times per 25 (I can breathe when Im done Wink) Don't get stuck with any one pattern - it is much better to be flexible and adjust to the current conditions.

Good luck with your test Robin!

2012-03-22 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4108446

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-22 1:05 PM
robingray_260 - 2012-03-22 12:03 PM

Great workouts everyone! 

I have a swim scheduled for today and I really need to do a 500 or 800 yd test and am trying to psych myself up for it. ughh! 

As for breathing on the swim - I am a dominant right side breather only and it works for me.  I do practice breathing regularly on the left so that I am comfortable with it, but it just has never felt right. Though I am a right side dominant I don't have a set breathing pattern and varies depending on the exertion level.  High exertion - long distance I usually breathing every stroke - I find it helps with shoulder rotation, rhythm and of course getting enough air. Don't get stuck with any one pattern - it is much better to be flexible and adjust to current conditions.

Ack! I know what you mean about getting psyched up tp do a swim TT! I have 10 X 100Yds coming up! Hang in there!

10 X 100's! Loads of fun, especially when my coach times it so if I am lucky I get 5 seconds rest for the last couple!  Have fun with these Carla!  Maybe you need your pup on deck! Wink

2012-03-22 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4108506

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2012-03-22 1:29 PM

Great workouts everyone! 

As for breathing on the swim - I am a dominant right side breather only and it works for me.  I do practice breathing regularly on the left so that I am comfortable with it, but it just has never felt right. Though I am a right side dominant I don't have a set breathing pattern and varies depending on the exertion level.  High exertion - long distance I usually breathing every stroke - I find it helps with shoulder rotation, rhythm and of course getting enough air. Whearas high exertion - short distance I breathe only 1 or 2 times per 25 (I can breathe when Im done Wink) Don't get stuck with any one pattern - it is much better to be flexible and adjust to the current conditions.

I like to breath every stroke when I'm really swimming hard too. I'll end up "winded" if I don't.

I generally mix it up with breathing patterns. Most of my swims are in open water and sometimes you just can't breath from one particular side for one reason or another. So I'm forced, in a sense, to only breath from one side or the other.  The benefit is that this can come in very handy during a race. 

How's the marathon training going Adam?

2012-03-22 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Thanks everybody for all the great feedback on breathing patterns -- very helpful!

At some point, I'll probably end up doing a mixture of everything (right-side only, left-side only, occasional bilateral) -- whatever it takes to get enough air into my lungs. I noticed a couple of things yesterday when I was doing right-side only breathing:

- Because I wasn't so worried about getting my next gasp of air, I was able to focus much more on my body position, body rotation, stroke technique, and kick efficiency. Everything felt much smoother and integrated.

- I had more energy to drive with my hips through my stroke.

- I noticed a bit more fatigue in my right lower back, probably because I was breathing only on my right side. But if I switch back and forth between right- and left-side only, I'll probably distribute the workload better.

- I actually enjoyed swimming for a change. I didn't have that constant gasping/drowning-like sensation to deal with.

Anyway, thanks again.

2012-03-22 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4108568

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
kenj - 2012-03-22 12:45 PM

Great workouts everyone! 

Good luck with your test Robin!

I lucked out - pool was unexepectadly closed for an hour for cleaning. hmmm... So day off today and will have to do the test next week.  not great for my plans as now I need to get a workout in both Sat and Sun. Ran for 4 minutes today - foot still improving!

Sdswriter - glad you had an enjoyable swim! always a good feeling!

Carla - good luck on the 100's!

2012-03-22 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Hello everyone..Sorry I've been MIA..Just been real crazy at work, trying to put some new software in place, and the other aspects of life are still going on..Got in a couple of short runs and bike rides.I've got to really get to moving..Will try to get some long stuff in this weekend. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

2012-03-23 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4108578

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2012-03-22 1:48 PM

Great workouts everyone! 

I like to breath every stroke when I'm really swimming hard too. I'll end up "winded" if I don't.

I generally mix it up with breathing patterns. Most of my swims are in open water and sometimes you just can't breath from one particular side for one reason or another. So I'm forced, in a sense, to only breath from one side or the other.  The benefit is that this can come in very handy during a race. 

I feel like I'm over the hump so to speak, last week was a tough one. Only 3 weeks to go before my taper starts! It's been a fun experience.

16 miles tomorrow Cool

2012-03-24 6:13 AM
in reply to: #4108684

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
sdswriter - 2012-03-22 2:46 PM

Thanks everybody for all the great feedback on breathing patterns -- very helpful!

At some point, I'll probably end up doing a mixture of everything (right-side only, left-side only, occasional bilateral) -- whatever it takes to get enough air into my lungs. I noticed a couple of things yesterday when I was doing right-side only breathing:

- Because I wasn't so worried about getting my next gasp of air, I was able to focus much more on my body position, body rotation, stroke technique, and kick efficiency. Everything felt much smoother and integrated.

- I noticed a bit more fatigue in my right lower back, probably because I was breathing only on my right side. But if I switch back and forth between right- and left-side only, I'll probably distribute the workload better.

- I actually enjoyed swimming for a change. I didn't have that constant gasping/drowning-like sensation to deal with.

Anyway, thanks again.

Steve, I am wondering if there is more to the breathing issue than just the frequency from your post here, especially the gasping/drowning statement.  Yes it is better on intense efforts to breath every stroke, but not every length of the pool should be at that effort.  My coach has me doing some lengths of the pool on as high as a 9 stroke count between breathing. 

Tough to identify from just internet posts.

2012-03-24 6:14 AM
in reply to: #4109286

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

shake-n-bake - 2012-03-22 9:22 PM Hello everyone..Sorry I've been MIA..Just been real crazy at work, trying to put some new software in place, and the other aspects of life are still going on..Got in a couple of short runs and bike rides.I've got to really get to moving..Will try to get some long stuff in this weekend. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

I hear you on the work front, sometimes life gets in the way! 

2012-03-24 6:14 AM
in reply to: #4110440

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2012-03-23 2:55 PM
kenj - 2012-03-22 1:48 PM

Great workouts everyone! 

I feel like I'm over the hump so to speak, last week was a tough one. Only 3 weeks to go before my taper starts! It's been a fun experience.

16 miles tomorrow Cool

Have a great run Adam!

2012-03-24 6:16 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Finally getting a chance this morning to take advantage of the early spring (although we are looking at a return to normal next week!).  Heading out shortly for a ride around the lake.  40 miles of hills and great scenery! 

How is everyone else doing?

2012-03-24 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4111011

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
kenj - 2012-03-24 4:13 AM
sdswriter - 2012-03-22 2:46 PM

Anyway, thanks again.

Steve, I am wondering if there is more to the breathing issue than just the frequency from your post here, especially the gasping/drowning statement.  Yes it is better on intense efforts to breath every stroke, but not every length of the pool should be at that effort.  My coach has me doing some lengths of the pool on as high as a 9 stroke count between breathing. 

Tough to identify from just internet posts.

Ken, yes, my breathing issue is a bit confusing. I actually feel pretty good doing bilateral breathing for the first 50 yards or so. But I noticeably deteriorate after that -- I start sinking and wobbling. It could have something to do with intensity. Maybe I need to do a better job at staying relaxed. I notice that my stroke rate tends to gets higher as I start to breathe harder. But it is interesting that I'm able to stay relaxed while breathing every stroke. Yesterday, I didn't have any problems doing several 200 and 300-yard intervals -- which is not the case when I breathe bilaterally. Could be mental, I suppose.

2012-03-24 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Hi All,

Sorry that I have been away. The last two weeks have been busier then usual as I spent much of my spare time one week searching for a car and then I had relatives in town. 

I have decided that on April first I am going to get serious about my training. (maybe even make it to the pool Tongue out).  I now own the Be Iron Fit book and  with things settled down a bit, hope to check out the training plans.  I have been running but the work on the treadmill is not showing up when outside. I just need to get out more I think and with the great weather we are having, I have no excuse.

Happy Saturday!

2012-03-25 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4111431

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2012-03-24 5:20 PM

Hi All,

Sorry that I have been away. The last two weeks have been busier then usual as I spent much of my spare time one week searching for a car and then I had relatives in town. 

I have decided that on April first I am going to get serious about my training. (maybe even make it to the pool Tongue out).  I now own the Be Iron Fit book and  with things settled down a bit, hope to check out the training plans.  I have been running but the work on the treadmill is not showing up when outside. I just need to get out more I think and with the great weather we are having, I have no excuse.

Happy Saturday!

Good to hear from you Kathleen!  I would be interested to hear what you think of the book, I am always looking for new training ideas.

As far as the treadmill, do you raise the incline at all?

2012-03-25 5:40 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Mostly a good weekend here, only got about 28 miles in on the bike yesterday before we gave up due to the rain.  But we made up for the lack of distance with some good climbing.  Today I did a basement brick with a nice bike in the trainer and a fairly quick treadmill run. 

Another busy week for me.  Heading out of town tomorrow until Wednesday for work, then Thursday we head to Florida for a 10 day vacation, Yippee!!  Friday night we break out the coconut bras and blenders for the Jimmy Buffett concert in Tampa! 

How are the rest of you doing?

2012-03-25 9:48 PM
in reply to: #4107997

User image

Master
Sin City

YAHOO!! I'm a B.S. GRADUATE with honors in Game Art and Design! I also won Best in Show for my Portfolio table/Demo Reel for my major(utterly shocked about this one, but I got an edge in because I also displayed my traditional 2D drawings as well).  Spent three days working 9-12 hours editing my reel to a MUCH better Demo Reel. 

I'm BACK in training...and my body is going to HATE me this week because I need to get back into it. I am NOT worried about the Bike. Very slightly worried about the swim, but I've been the same speed for over a year, so I don't think I've missed anything much.  The run..eh, it'll be slow starting again, but should be much much easier.  I know I could have put in a few more runs/bike rides, but frankly, I really didn't feel like it and felt unmotivated and other lame excuse. Now I'm back on the saddle...literally. :-P

Now I'm going to reply to questions/posts/races since I last have been on BT. :-D  Here we go! (I *do* apologize if they've been old!)

Meulen - everyone has bad days. In fact, without fail, I always have one BAD run a month. It just pops up out of nowhere.  If you want to do your long runs on Saturdays, can you do your speedwork on Wednesday or Thursday and switch whatever that was on Wednesday/Thursday to Friday. That should work.

Carla - re: transitioning to outside. I know, it's a hassle for me too because there's no "good" bike paths/trails right outside my home...I have to drive 20-30 minutes away to get to the good areas. So annoying sometimes.  All I can say is...HTFU and get out there. :-D  I find myself going MUCH faster outside than indoors (no computrainer).   Can you find a training buddy? That'll help you a lot. You don't have to go at the same speed, just be there for one another, encourage each other, etc. I find that helps me a lot if I'm out with friends and stuff, and it doesn't feel like I'm training.  So, I definitely agree with the others...find a group ride. If you lived here, I definitely will ride with you, even if you're a little slower than me...I may go a little faster, but I'll be your rabbit. Talk to the group that sends out group rides and see if there's any C riders that you enjoy being with and set up a ride relationship. 

Congrats Wesley on your PR!

Ken - so far I really enjoy being with my Tri Club! I did the 5K race (but only did 2 miles, and they were totally cool with it). They had a triathlon today (which I'm glad I decided to skip...water was 56 degrees and the winds were unbelievable! - Skipped it because I cannot afford to be sore for a couple days, lack of training, and I was already committed to Bunco which was at the same time. However, I've heard so many good things about today's triathlon...If that Tri Club has a LOT of members, consistent workouts, and perhaps a few of them are in your area that you can ride/run with, if there's OWS on a weekly basis...I would do it. If they only do a small amount and not worth it, then skip it. Not a huge deal, but it can be a morale/confidence booster.

Robin - YAY! Welcome back to running!!

Edited by CyborgQueen 2012-03-25 9:50 PM

2012-03-25 10:00 PM

New user
Walterboro
DJ that's awesome.  Congratulations!Smile
2012-03-25 10:15 PM
in reply to: #4112646

User image

Regular
Denver
CyborgQueen - 2012-03-25 9:48 PM

YAHOO!! I'm a B.S. GRADUATE with honors in Game Art and Design! I also won Best in Show for my Portfolio table/Demo Reel for my major(utterly shocked about this one, but I got an edge in because I also displayed my traditional 2D drawings as well).  Spent three days working 9-12 hours editing my reel to a MUCH better Demo Reel. 

Carla - re: transitioning to outside. I know, it's a hassle for me too because there's no "good" bike paths/trails right outside my home...I have to drive 20-30 minutes away to get to the good areas. So annoying sometimes.  All I can say is...HTFU and get out there. :-D  I find myself going MUCH faster outside than indoors (no computrainer).   Can you find a training buddy? That'll help you a lot. You don't have to go at the same speed, just be there for one another, encourage each other, etc. I find that helps me a lot if I'm out with friends and stuff, and it doesn't feel like I'm training.  So, I definitely agree with the others...find a group ride. If you lived here, I definitely will ride with you, even if you're a little slower than me...I may go a little faster, but I'll be your rabbit. Talk to the group that sends out group rides and see if there's any C riders that you enjoy being with and set up a ride relationship.

CyborgQueen - SUPER Congrats on your graduation!!!  That is quite a feat and one that should be celebrated!!!

Regarding my transition to outside, LOL at the "HTFU" comment!  I haven't heard that since my trainers moved back to Australia!

I am still struggling with the logistics of it all... but I've managed to get in some good work and I'm climbing like a "Mountain Goat" which is a very pleasant surprise for me!

I did a canyon ride this Saturday and I "Zoomed" up the canyon!  Couldn't believe it.  15 min faster than two years ago and this is my first time out!  Hoping to keep building on this!!! ~Carla

2012-03-25 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4108573

User image

Regular
Denver
kenj - 2012-03-22 12:48 PM

10 X 100's! Loads of fun, especially when my coach times it so if I am lucky I get 5 seconds rest for the last couple!  Have fun with these Carla!  Maybe you need your pup on deck! Wink

Ha, ha, ha Ken!!!  I'm not sure if my dog would be on deck on trying to race me in the 10 x 100's!!  She is good company for sure!

I like to swim with a pull buoy... and trained for two years with both buoy's and paddles.  My previous trainers wanted me to do it for strength... and now my current coach doesn't want me to use the buoy at all.

My thoughts are I swim with a wetsuit which provides buoyancy... so... not sure why there's always such a "HUFF" when I decide to do my sets with my buoy.  ::: Sigh::: 

I think the Swim TT is this week... I didn't look ahead... didn't want to burden my evening thinking about it!  Will post up when I do it... and I'll swim it, reluctantly, without the buoy! ~Carla

2012-03-25 10:22 PM
in reply to: #4109037

User image

Regular
Denver
robingray_260 - 2012-03-22 4:22 PM

Carla - good luck on the 100's!

Robin, many thanks... I'll need it... I dread the effort it takes to Swim TT... mostly because I NEVER swim like this in a race.    Just frustrating and draining... sorry for the droopy attitude, but I am "NOT A FAN of Swim TT!" ~Carla

2012-03-25 10:25 PM
in reply to: #4109286

User image

Regular
Denver

shake-n-bake - 2012-03-22 8:22 PM Hello everyone..Sorry I've been MIA..Just been real crazy at work, trying to put some new software in place, and the other aspects of life are still going on..Got in a couple of short runs and bike rides.I've got to really get to moving..Will try to get some long stuff in this weekend. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Shake n Bake - Way to get in some training in between work and "Life"!   I'm struggling on that front as work intensifies.  I would like to have a balance... or learn how to work more efficiently.  For now my efforts go into Training, Preparing good foods for my day, Work and maintaining my home.  Somehow that often takes more than 24 hours in a day!  Humm... ~Carla

2012-03-25 10:27 PM
in reply to: #4110440

User image

Regular
Denver
acv - 2012-03-23 1:55 PM

16 miles tomorrow Cool

Adam - I know this post is a little late, but 16 Miles... NICE DISTANCE!  Sweet!

2012-03-25 11:36 PM
in reply to: #4112646

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
CyborgQueen - 2012-03-25 8:48 PM

I'm BACK in training...and my body is going to HATE me this week because I need to get back into it. I am NOT worried about the Bike. Very slightly worried about the swim, but I've been the same speed for over a year, so I don't think I've missed anything much.  The run..eh, it'll be slow starting again, but should be much much easier.  I know I could have put in a few more runs/bike rides, but frankly, I really didn't feel like it and felt unmotivated and other lame excuse. Now I'm back on the saddle...literally. :-P

Now I'm going to reply to questions/posts/races since I last have been on BT. :-D  Here we go! (I *do* apologize if they've been old!)

Meulen - everyone has bad days. In fact, without fail, I always have one BAD run a month. It just pops up out of nowhere.  If you want to do your long runs on Saturdays, can you do your speedwork on Wednesday or Thursday and switch whatever that was on Wednesday/Thursday to Friday. That should work.

Congrats Wesley on your PR!

Ken - so far I really enjoy being with my Tri Club! I did the 5K race (but only did 2 miles, and they were totally cool with it). They had a triathlon today (which I'm glad I decided to skip...water was 56 degrees and the winds were unbelievable! - Skipped it because I cannot afford to be sore for a couple days, lack of training, and I was already committed to Bunco which was at the same time. However, I've heard so many good things about today's triathlon...If that Tri Club has a LOT of members, consistent workouts, and perhaps a few of them are in your area that you can ride/run with, if there's OWS on a weekly basis...I would do it. If they only do a small amount and not worth it, then skip it. Not a huge deal, but it can be a morale/confidence booster.

Robin - YAY! Welcome back to running!!

Congratulations! 

2012-03-25 11:38 PM
in reply to: #4112370

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kenj - 2012-03-25 4:36 PM
Kath2163 - 2012-03-24 5:20 PM

Hi All,

Happy Saturday!

Good to hear from you Kathleen!  I would be interested to hear what you think of the book, I am always looking for new training ideas.

As far as the treadmill, do you raise the incline at all?

No, I haven't been raising the incline. I know I should but I was enjoying running at a "faster" pace and new I wouldn't be able to do that on an incline. I got outside both days this weekend and am going to do my best to get out during the week.

2012-03-25 11:39 PM
in reply to: #4112375

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kenj - 2012-03-25 4:40 PM

Mostly a good weekend here, only got about 28 miles in on the bike yesterday before we gave up due to the rain.  But we made up for the lack of distance with some good climbing.  Today I did a basement brick with a nice bike in the trainer and a fairly quick treadmill run. 

Another busy week for me.  Heading out of town tomorrow until Wednesday for work, then Thursday we head to Florida for a 10 day vacation, Yippee!!  Friday night we break out the coconut bras and blenders for the Jimmy Buffett concert in Tampa! 

How are the rest of you doing?

Coconut bras and blenders... sounds like fun  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72